Forum Settings
Forums

Has someone complaining about an anime ever convinced you to watch it?

New
Jul 23, 2019 9:40 AM

Jun 2019
What was the complaint? Why did it make you want to watch? Was it a good decision to watch the show?
Jul 23, 2019 9:52 AM

Sep 2014
Yeah, Fairy Tail. People complained about the fanservice and this is what I wanted, a battle shonen with more fanservice. I gave it a try and enjoyed the show.
Jul 23, 2019 9:57 AM
May 2019
Yes SAO I wanted to see if it was as bad as people make it out to be and I ended up enjoying it.
XstasyJul 23, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 23, 2019 9:58 AM
Apr 2016
School Days. People regarded it as "horrible," but I found it awfully realistic and good, hating a character really doesn't make the character "bad."
Jul 23, 2019 9:59 AM

Jul 2017
Ye Domestic Girlfriend. All those complaints about it being a massive trainwreck made me want to see it for myself. Ngl it wasn't that bad of a show tbh

Also, Aldnoah 0 and Chuunibyou's 2nd seasons. Both were basically shunned to death and while the latter wasn't entirely bad, the former was beyond terrible
Jul 23, 2019 10:07 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, I saw some users talking about Utsu musume Sayuri, saying stuff like it's one of the worst series ever. Checked it out and saw it was only about 3 min long and thought to myself, oh well, just how bad can it be. OMG , never again! Worst decision ever.Should have listened to all these people and stayed away from it.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jul 23, 2019 10:13 AM

Mar 2015
Kind of, I picked Darling in the FranXX back up after dropping it when people went crazy over Kokoro.
Jul 23, 2019 10:23 AM

Aug 2018
Not really.
If anime fans who gobble up almost every single trash show that gets released say something is bad it must be beyond unwatchable.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jul 23, 2019 10:29 AM

Dec 2018
My Sister, My Writer

People complained about shitty artwork and the whole little sister incest thing...

And you know what?

They were right. It was awful, but I got a few laughs out of it because of that so I guess I didn't leave empty-handed
Oregairu is life
Jul 23, 2019 10:36 AM

Jul 2016
Ange Vierge. Back when I watched more anime youtubers, a bunch of them got together to do the Weebcast, where they went through every show in a season to review the first episode. For summer 2016, Best Guy Ever spent 11 minutes screaming and laughing about Ange Vierge and from what he said I thought, "I have to know"
Jul 23, 2019 2:14 PM
Mar 2017
not really... i mean, usually you go watch something after you were told it was great and whatnot if some1 complains unless his complaints were mysteriously weird and intriguing, i would just take that person's word and avoid that Anime. when i recommend i only do so believing the Anime i suggest is good and the person will enjoy it, and even in the few times i tell some1 about how bad an Anime was, it is usually my genuine opinion and often it means i myself dropped the Anime after just a few episodes because of how bad it was, and i really wouldn't want other people to watch it as to help them not waste their time.
and if they say something like "na it's ok i got the time ill try this", i will answer "if you got the time for this piece of trash then just use it to watch an actual good Anime of the ones i recommended you".
Jul 23, 2019 2:24 PM

Feb 2010
Not in the sense that I wasn't already gonna watch it before they spouted their toxic bullshit, but people trashtalking shows whose appeal they don't understand can definitely make me more excited for them.

When I see a show has a shit score and shit reviews and then I read a bit through them and everyone is just shitting on it for being episodic and not fully plot-oriented, I'm only gonna be more hyped since I love episodic shows and the more people hate them for the lack of plot the better their story usually is. E.g. Cowboy Bebop or Mushishi.

Basically whenever people hate a show for simply being what it is, for trying to do what it tries to do, instead of hating it for being bad at what it tries to do, I'm gonna become interested in the show as long as I like what it is trying to do. Any criticism uttered by a person who judges a show not based on how good it is at what it is trying to do, but simply based on it doing something that doesn't appeal to them personally (even if it is being fantastic at that) is basically utterly useless and worthless and I treat it as air or as simply confirming a certain kind of genre or content tag attached to the show.

So many complaints and criticism write walls of text but essentially boil down to 'This show is of (sub)genre X and therefore not to my liking' so not treating those as actual criticism, but just as an indicator of what a show is trying to do makes sense to me. Haters think they are criticizing the show when they really are just categorizing it as belonging to a certain (sub)genre while spamming irrelevant insults at the side because they hate that (sub)genre for irrational reasons and think their preference amounts to criticism.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 23, 2019 3:01 PM

Oct 2008
Sorry in advance, my friends hated a sertain anime and told me that I would probably like it. However I can't say they recommend it to me, since they told me things about what happens in it, that they didn't like. Still telling me that I would probably enjoy it as much as they didn't. The anime in question is "Schwarzesmarken".
Jul 23, 2019 3:04 PM
Feb 2017
SAO, the usual. Wasn't that bad so just a typical overreaction from the hatedom.
Jul 23, 2019 4:02 PM

Mar 2019
School Days, people were complaining about how "fucked up" it was. This made me curious, and I wanted to watch it.

Domestic Girlfriend because people were complaining about how horny and pervy the main character was. Honestly didn't think he was that much of a pervert, certainly not on the level of Issei or Makoto.

I might give Fairytale a chance cause I would like to see a shonen with plenty of fanservice. But I should probably finish Bleach first and that's gonna take awhile cause I'm only 1/3 of the way through lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2019 4:09 PM

Apr 2017
MMMhhh yeah.

Sword art Online of course. Everyone says it's shit.

now is one of my favorite anime of all time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 23, 2019 5:47 PM

May 2018
No publicity is bad publicity. Thanks for recommending me Sao haters.
Jul 23, 2019 5:57 PM

Feb 2019
I saw some people completely destroying Wataten and talking about how it is horrible and unwatchable because of how 'pervy' it is, so I checked it out. I didn't think it's bad or remarkably pervert, it even gave me some chuckles and all.
Jul 23, 2019 6:12 PM
Dec 2017
I watched Pupa because of all the bad things people said about it. I also watched Goblin Slayer because of that one scene in the first episode that many people complained about. Also, I plan to watch Sword Art Online eventually but was convinced because of both the hate and love that it got. Oh, and there's also Black Clover. It already seemed interesting but the hate it got when it first started airing made me want to watch it even more.
Jul 26, 2019 9:49 AM

May 2018
Pupa.

I watched like a 5 minute video of this guy shitting on it. I was like "ahah it cant be THAT bad lemme watch it and see lol"
I watched it.
It was that bad.
In fact it was one of the worst anime I have ever watched.
Jul 26, 2019 9:55 AM

Apr 2017
I can't remember any particular example, but I'm sure there have been some shows that I picked up after someone complained about them and they actually sounded interesting.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jul 26, 2019 9:58 AM

May 2014
Yeah, happened to me with Franxx, and I ended up agreeing with all the complaints people had with it.
Jul 26, 2019 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
-akame ga kill: my friend constantly complained of how shit it is, i was curious since the mal score of it is decent... lets just say i should have listened to my friend and avoid it.

-domestic girlfriend: someone on youtube said its trash so i gave it a try. it was objectively bad but i really enjoyed it.

-pupa: couldn't get past the first 2 mins.

-hametsu no mars: i acually finished this one, it was hilarious tbh.

-fairy tail: its not as bad as people make it out to be but its just boring as fuck.

-aku no hana: idk why people complain about the artstyle, i think it really fit the story and make it even more unsettling in a good way.

-sao: the writing aside from the first episode is absolute grabage, can't say i didn't enjoy it tho.
Jul 26, 2019 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
School Days and Boku no Pico. It wasn't pleasant to watch them but I was just curious
Jul 26, 2019 10:16 AM

Jul 2019
Someone write bad review on Konosuba,i watched it and for me it is a masterpiece
Jul 26, 2019 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Kimi no na wa. Back when it came out, some commentors on a non-anime website were complaining at how they wanted a happier ending than what was given and how they weren't satisfied with a vague indication of them getting together. And I thought to myself, "Whoa. A Shinkai with a vague indication of them getting together? That's new. Gotta watch that."
Jul 26, 2019 10:27 AM

Nov 2017
Yeah, I wanted to see what was up with SAO.
ロード中です...

Jul 26, 2019 10:38 AM
Aug 2017
All the shit about sao made me watch it, the first of s1 was kinda good but damn the other half was horrible.

School days was also like sao. All the shitting had me curious, it definitely was a shitty show but the mc wasn't as bad as people made him out to be he was just a horny teen who would put his dick in anything fishy.

Gamers also had the rumor of being too dramatic and over the top but I genuinely enjoyed the heck out of it. It was one of the most hilarious romcom animes I have watched.
Monarch9Jul 26, 2019 10:41 AM
Jul 26, 2019 11:50 AM

Nov 2015
Not technically. The only one that would really qualify would be SAO, but it was one of the first anime I watched, and that was well before I even joined MAL
Jul 26, 2019 11:54 AM

Aug 2018
My cousin once start talking about Evangelion y it get my attention because he said how difficult it is to understand. That's how I get curiosity for EVA and start watching. Plus it was my first anime and became my favorite too.
Jul 26, 2019 12:01 PM

Jan 2018
Not sure if I can remember but for sure it was Darling in the franxx. Although if it weren't for heated discussions that ended up on AD as well it would have probably go unnoticed because mecha genre isn't my cup of tea.
Jul 26, 2019 12:01 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah that's usually how it works for me. The more haters an anime has the more I wanna know why lol.
Jul 26, 2019 6:46 PM

Dec 2012
Possibly, for instance if people are whining about things I don't mind watching.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 26, 2019 8:19 PM

Apr 2018
Yu-gi-oh ZEXAL.

First 14 episodes were complete and utter dogshit. Then, I grew attached to the series
Jul 26, 2019 8:27 PM

Nov 2016
For Me It was School Days back in 2013.

I watched this video on Youtube named "Top 10 Biggest Assholes in anime" (In spanish since then the only youtubers I watched in English at that time were Smosh, some Pokemon YTbers and a bit of pewds). There were 2 versions, One ofr Male characters and One for Female characters. Makoto and Sekai were the #1 of their respective lists so I decided to watch it. I Really liked it back then. It was until recently (More or less 2017) when I realized what the show's weakpoints were, mainly in the art and Animation department. If it got a remake by a Big budget studio maybe it would be more famous rather than infamous since the plot is decent.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2019 8:56 PM

Jan 2018
If its getting that much attention, then it would only be natural to be curious and go see for yourself.

Even sometimes resulting in being a good accidental recommendation to you.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Jul 26, 2019 9:00 PM

Mar 2019
Yeah, I noticed that TVTropes removed all references to Lotte so I knew I was in for some quality loli fan-service.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 26, 2019 9:16 PM
Dec 2017
Yep. ReZero. I knew the person slagging it off was more than a little bit of a knob so I knew the show was going to be good.
Jul 26, 2019 9:33 PM

Jan 2009
ye just recently with Dr. Stone there is this huge thread about it being unrealistic even though its about science so i checked it out and i find it really enjoyable and the complain of it being unrealistic? lol its not aiming to be a hard science fiction show anyway so who cares
Jul 30, 2019 6:49 PM
Jan 2017
There was a review for the manga for One Piece that said the characters cried too much and that the show was for crybabies. I took that as "this series is full of emotional power that I would love to experience." Actually I think at the time I thought One Piece looked bad and I had not planned on starting it, but somehow that 1/10 review made me think it would actually be really good. Eventually, I finally started the show and it has become one of my favorite anime!! Definitely a good decision.
Jul 30, 2019 7:10 PM

Oct 2017
Ryougine said:
What was the complaint? Why did it make you want to watch? Was it a good decision to watch the show?

Absolutely.

In general when I see something get a ton of hate I instinctively want to defend it. Pretty much anytime I see someone complain about lolis in an anime I will add it to my PTW. Also when people complain about stuff being too "slow" or "weird" because I like slow-paced weird stuff.

Specific examples?

1. Eromanga Sensei. I quite liked it but my score has gone down from 8 to 6 over time. I watched it early on in my anime watching journey and seeing tabboo romance portrayed in that way was really mind-blowing at first. I thought it was deliciously weird and sexy and funny in just the right proportions. But it didn't stick in the memory so much and the more I've been exposed to other tabboo ecchi stuff, the more I see the flaws in EMS because I notice how it could have been done so much better. Still love the art and character designs and the animation is great in places.

2. Goblin Slayer. The SJW hate towards it probably made me like it more than I otherwise would have. I notice the reverse reaction from the general anime community though. I don't think it's a coincidence that the two anime to attract the most SJW ire in the past year (GS and Shield Hero) get a lot of shit for what seem like kind of bullshit reasons. Anime tends to attract people from both "sides" of the culture war and thus an SJW hate brigade can really fuck up the community perception of an anime.

3. Shitcom. Less said the better about this one the better.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Jan 2018
That's what usually causes curiosity if its such a big deal.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Jul 30, 2019 10:00 PM

Jun 2015
some guy literally said

Ishitateso said:
And why not an Aria character? I actually hated Maa, Alice's cat, because of both his compulsive biting habits and character design. And since I have never seen anybody bitching about him I t think he is underhated.
in a diff thread and now I wanna watch this show bcz it has cute cats.
Jul 30, 2019 10:10 PM

Aug 2009
My own complaining about the harem genre, and @Imaishi calling me out on my "Fuck harems" bullshit, convinced me to watch at least one episode of Highschool DxD, and there's actually something there aside from big anime titties, which kind of ironically doesn't peak my interests anymore since I strictly watched Western Wolves for the story, but I digress.

Jul 31, 2019 6:56 AM

Oct 2018
OreImo and Eromanga Sensei. I wanted to see what the fuzz was all about, and I hated it.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Jul 31, 2019 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
Any old anime with bad ratings and bad animation complaints
Jul 31, 2019 7:51 AM

Jul 2016
Conception and Eromanga-sensei, and I liked them equally.

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

20 by epidemia78 »»
1 minute ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

62 by Levi »»
3 minutes ago

» What would you choose: Good voice acting with bad translations or Bad voice acting with good translations?

funtime43_tr - 12 minutes ago

4 by perseii »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

73 by Pinoffin »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

73 by StyxParadise »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.