Forum Settings
Forums

Name a character you think is underrated or overhated

New
Jul 28, 2019 9:01 AM

Dec 2018
This doesn’t mean post a LOTGH or Mushishi or Aria character or whatever.

If I were to pick one I’d say Obito Uchiha from Naruto as overhated
And Judeau from Berserk as underrated
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 28, 2019 9:13 AM

Sep 2018
thank god you said judeau he deserves so much better
for overhated i’ll say shinji ikari from evangelion, and for underrated i’ll say izumi curtis from fullmetal alchemist
Jul 28, 2019 9:15 AM

Dec 2018
juiccbox said:
thank god you said judeau he deserves so much better
for overhated i’ll say shinji ikari from evangelion, and for underrated i’ll say izumi curtis from fullmetal alchemist

Big agree with both of those. Dunno how overhated Shinko is but I like him a lot
Jul 28, 2019 9:22 AM

May 2015
PorchmonkeyD said:

And why not an Aria character? I actually hated Maa, Alice's cat, because of both his compulsive biting habits and character design. And since I have never seen anybody bitching about him I t think he is underhated.
Jul 28, 2019 9:26 AM

Dec 2018
Ishitateso said:
PorchmonkeyD said:

And why not an Aria character? I actually hated Maa, Alice's cat, because of both his compulsive biting habits and character design. And since I have never seen anybody bitching about him I t think he is underhated.

I mean for underhated that’s fine, I was just basically saying don’t choose Ginko for underrated because not everyone has seen Mushishi and you like it.

For underhated tho I’d def choose Kamina from TTGL, fuck that bitchass nigga
Jul 28, 2019 9:29 AM

Apr 2017
Hasegawa Heizou from Onihei is very underrated character in my opinion. And from rather underrated anime too I guess. I think he deserves more recognition than he gets (just 38 favorites is very sad).
EDITED: I misread overhated. These 2 doesn't seem like a good combination to ask about since they aren't really related per se and it's easy to misread overhated as overrated. But as for overhated character maybe Yuuki Asuna from SAO. She is very popular, but also very hated. And while I think she isn't a great character, I don't think that there is much of a reason to hate her. She is just average, nothing one should like or hate that much.
MrZawaJul 28, 2019 9:33 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jul 28, 2019 9:29 AM
Apr 2016
Sakura from Naruto is very very overhated. She's weak and realistic for a Naruto character. People complain that she's weak or "worthless," however, she's not an overpowered monster like Naruto or Sasuke, that's all. Just like normal people, she cries, she gets anxious, she worries, that's how a real character is supposed to be.
Jul 28, 2019 9:32 AM

Nov 2014
PorchmonkeyD said:
Judeau from Berserk as underrated
Probably the most underrated Berserk character.

juiccbox said:
for overhated i’ll say shinji ikari from evangelion
Most of people that shits on Evangelion, and specially Shinji, comically miss the point, so... It's a similar case with people who shits on Renton Thurston from Eureka Seven.

I found harder to say a character i find underrated than a show. So bare in mind i'm using the argument this characters came from some of my favourite shows, and in the very, very small fandoms that shows had, the characters are beloved, but outside them they're not as popular as characters from most popular shows. So:
- Bernie Wiseman from Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.
- Diana Soreil from Turn A Gundam.
- Franz d'Epinay from Gankutsuou.
- Fakir from Princess Tutu.
- Johnny the Bear from Kemono no Souja Erin.
- Yukari Hayasaka from Paradise Kiss. Has one of the most relatable coming of age stories i've seen in anime.
- Eva Heinemann from Monster. Has one of the best character and redemption arcs of the whole show. In discussions about redempstion arcs no one mentions her. Why??????????? Someone please can explain it to me?

For overhated i'll say Suzaku from Code Geass and Seishin Muroi from Shiki. And before someone came to me saying: "Oh, they're not hated" Just go to their profiles' comment section on Anime Planet. Then come back and try to tell me the same.
Jul 28, 2019 9:33 AM

Dec 2018
2ego said:
Sakura from Naruto is very very overhated. She's weak and realistic for a Naruto character. People complain that she's weak or "worthless," however, she's not an overpowered monster like Naruto or Sasuke, that's all. Just like normal people, she cries, she gets anxious, she worries, that's how a real character is supposed to be.

I’m kind of at a crossroads here because I agree with all of your points, but I had some additional issues with her most of them I could generalize as just being fucking annoying. I don’t particularly like Sakura but I also think she’s a decent character, so I guess I agree.
Jul 28, 2019 9:35 AM

Feb 2019
I don't really understand why people hate Sasuke Uchiha so much. He was my favourite character in the series.
Jul 28, 2019 9:35 AM

Dec 2018
BlancaXLobo said:
PorchmonkeyD said:
Judeau from Berserk as underrated
Probably the most underrated Berserk character.

juiccbox said:
for overhated i’ll say shinji ikari from evangelion
Most of people that shits on Evangelion, and specially Shinji, comically miss the point, so... It's a similar case with people who shits on Renton Thurston from Eureka Seven.

I found harder to say a character i find underrated than a show. So bare in mind i'm using the argument this characters came from some of my favourite shows, and in the very, very small fandoms that shows had, the characters are beloved, but outside them they're not as popular as characters from most popular shows. So:
- Bernie Wiseman from Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.
- Diana Soreil from Turn A Gundam.
- Franz d'Epinay from Gankutsuou.
- Fakir from Princess Tutu.
- Johnny the Bear from Kemono no Souja Erin.
- Yukari Hayasaka from Paradise Kiss. Has one of the most relatable coming of age stories i've seen in anime.
- Eva Heinemann from Monster. Has one of the best character and redemption arcs of the whole show. In discussions about redempstion arcs no one mentions her. Why??????????? Someone please can explain it to me?

For overhated i'll say Suzaku from Code Geass and Seishin Muroi from Shiki. And before someone came to me saying: "Oh, they're not hated" Just go to their profiles' comment section on Anime Planet. Then come back and try to tell me the same.

Haven’t seen many of these shows but I definitely agree with Eva Heinneman, one of my favorite characters of all time.
Jul 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Dec 2018
Pragyan1 said:
I don't really understand why people hate Sasuke Uchiha so much. He was my favourite character in the series.

He’s a pretty good character, I like him. But yeah people do shit on him a lot.
Jul 28, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2017
I would say umaru is pretty overhated.
kondo isao from gintama is really underrated.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jul 28, 2019 9:47 AM

Nov 2018
As for overrated I would say Deku from my hero.
I think Roberto from monster is underrated.
Jul 28, 2019 9:59 AM
Apr 2017
Nanami Yasuri as underrated (although I struggle quite a bit with this, underrated compared to whom, to what, in what context? But still).

As for overhated, no idea whatsoever.
Pragyan1 said:
A whiny bitch, a pitiful pathetic self-aggrandising idiotic selfish arrogant bipolar emo little twat? Amongst other things?

I don't even hate him as much as most people I know, I got tired of his shit way before shippuuden came around. It's a good battle between him and Useless for the top spot on the "irks me to fucking hell and back" scale.
KurgoJul 28, 2019 10:03 AM
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 28, 2019 10:43 AM

Jun 2019
For overrated:

Asuka and Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion, 1,000x over. Both irritated the living hell out of me and not in a good way. Yes, there's nothing wrong with and it can be quite important and fulfilling to have unpleasant or annoying characters as not every character should be one you like or whose actions you agree with or approve of obviously, but not when the anime spends half its damn runtime trying to get you to sympathize with them as protagonists. Plus, fans glorify them.

Ginko from Mushishi - I love his herb cigarettes and calm and thoughtful demeanor, but as episodic as the show may be, it's really unacceptable that in a 50 episode show this character isn't really fleshed out one bit. Characters like this just become cyphers for the audience, which in and of itself isn't terrible, but yeah...just overrated. Unsure whether this should be pinned on the character or show itself though.

Guts from Berserk - I don't dislike him. Just that I find almost everything and everyone in the show more interesting than I do him (going by show only here folks, so don't point me to 20+ years of manga content as naturally he gets more development there). In the show, aside from a limited number of conversations with Griffith in the later episodes, he shares a lot with your typical overpowered shounen protagonist with a behemoth sword as defining feature.

Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Most of the time he pissed me off as his sarcasm came across as too self-righteous. Not awful, but definitely not the best character in the show as proclaimed by many I see on Haruhi-related discussion topics (for that I'll take Yuki, Mikuru, Itsuki, or actually even Haruhi herself).

Underrated:

Naraku from Inuyasha - Still the best villain in anime to me. He's not playing chess. He's 1400 moves ahead in a game you can't even comprehend.

Noel Kannagi from Sora no Woto - the Rei Ayanami of post-apocalyptic Switzerland and every bit as graceful, charming, beautiful, brilliant, and serene.

Hiki/Nora from Noragami - Both adorable and frightening. There's something about her notion of devotion and ancient roots I find has such raw beauty.

Iwakura Yasuo - Lain's father from SEL. Not much I can say here without treading too deep into spoiler territory, but just both a great man and a true nerd and weirdo in every sense of the word.

Lacia from Beatless - The show she belongs to is criminally underrated as a whole, but this character is just way too overlooked. A perfect demonstration of how a supercomputer and android can be both ruthlessly efficient and nuanced enough to inspire tender human emotions and understand the psychological profile of the average human well enough to manipulate politics and society. And at the same time be an ideal companion and remind people that we're all just ultimately organic computers.

Jul 28, 2019 10:45 AM

Dec 2017
UNDERRATED : Jyugo (Nanbaka)
OVERHATED : Naruto
Jul 28, 2019 10:46 AM

Oct 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
For overrated:

Asuka and Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion, 1,000x over. Both irritated the living hell out of me and not in a good way. Yes, there's nothing wrong with and it can be quite important and fulfilling to have unpleasant or annoying characters as not every character should be one you like or whose actions you agree with or approve of obviously, but not when the anime spends half its damn runtime trying to get you to sympathize with them as protagonists. Plus, fans glorify them.

Ginko from Mushishi - I love his herb cigarettes and calm and thoughtful demeanor, but as episodic as the show may be, it's really unacceptable that in a 50 episode show this character isn't really fleshed out one bit. Characters like this just become cyphers for the audience, which in and of itself isn't terrible, but yeah...just overrated. Unsure whether this should be pinned on the character or show itself though.

Guts from Berserk - I don't dislike him. Just that I find almost everything and everyone in the show more interesting than I do him (going by show only here folks, so don't point me to 20+ years of manga content as naturally he gets more development there). In the show, aside from a limited number of conversations with Griffith in the later episodes, he shares a lot with your typical overpowered shounen protagonist with a behemoth sword as defining feature.

Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Most of the time he pissed me off as his sarcasm came across as too self-righteous. Not awful, but definitely not the best character in the show as proclaimed by many I see on Haruhi-related discussion topics (for that I'll take Yuki, Mikuru, Itsuki, or actually even Haruhi herself).

Underrated:

Naraku from Inuyasha - Still the best villain in anime to me. He's not playing chess. He's 1400 moves ahead in a game you can't even comprehend.

Noel Kannagi from Sora no Woto - the Rei Ayanami of post-apocalyptic Switzerland and every bit as graceful, charming, beautiful, brilliant, and serene.

Hiki/Nora from Noragami - Both adorable and frightening. There's something about her notion of devotion and ancient roots I find has such raw beauty.

Iwakura Yasuo - Lain's father from SEL. Not much I can say here without treading too deep into spoiler territory, but just both a great man and a true nerd and weirdo in every sense of the word.

Lacia from Beatless - The show she belongs to is criminally underrated as a whole, but this character is just way too overlooked. A perfect demonstration of how a supercomputer and android can be both ruthlessly efficient and nuanced enough to inspire tender human emotions and understand the psychological profile of the average human well enough to manipulate politics and society. And at the same time be an ideal companion and remind people that we're all just ultimately organic computers.

OP said "overhated" not "overrated"
Jul 28, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2017
I feel like some people are reading overhated as overrated

But I say Minko from Hanasaku Iroha. All she wanted was senpai to notice her but couldn't deal with the fact that some newbie got his attention
Jul 28, 2019 10:50 AM

Dec 2018
Overrated is fine too. Thread is mostly just to spark discussion.
Jul 28, 2019 10:53 AM

Jun 2019
Dolabella said:
OP said "overhated" not "overrated"

I definitely misread that since "overrated" is so often paired with "underrated" when comparing things. I suspect some of my choices for overrated characters are ones others may find overhated, but whatever. I'm not going to bother rewriting it.
Jul 28, 2019 3:10 PM
Oct 2018
Iroha from Oregaiu is underrated, deserves much more attention smh
--
Jul 28, 2019 3:13 PM
Dec 2018
I think Natsuki Subaru and Emilia from Re:Zero are overhated characters.
Jul 28, 2019 3:17 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Overrated characters:

Jotaro - he’s an emotionless emo bitch in part 3 and in part 6, he’s a horrible father and a pathetic damsel in distress
Bakugou - A one-dimensional bully (don’t come at me, manga readers) that the author and the fans keep d**k-riding
Haruhi Suzumiya - She’s not a god, she’s a ungrateful spoiled brat
Sinbad - everything good about him died in the final arc
Mayuri Shiina - Annoying and naive womanchild
Okita Sougo - He’s a horrible person who should leave Hijikata alone
Shirai Kuroko - Annoying and possessive lesbian

Underrated:

Sakamoto Tatsuma and Mutsu - awesome power couple.
Lyle Dylandy from Gundam 00 - Unlike what the critics say, he’s not like his brother
Diavolo and Doppio - I think they’re an interesting combo
Slaine from Aldnoah.Zero - The only good character in the show
Jul 28, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2018
Overhated: Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Underrated: Moro (Princess Mononoke)
Jul 28, 2019 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Underrated: Kaiji from Ultimate Survivor Kaiji; I love how mentally badass he is, yet flawed (gambling addiction, naive, easily gets attached to people)

Overhated: Shinji Ikari. After hearing how much of a pussy he is, I expected him to be one when I watched Eva, but to my surprise, Shinji's not a pussy. He refused to pilot a giant robot to fight giant aliens only 4 times in the show. He wants to be with others, but is awkward, afraid to be hurt, he's obedient but also a little rebellious. One of the most human characters I've seen in anime.

2ego said:

I 100% agree. I think Sakura is one of the best characters in the series for how much she develops: she starts off as a judgmental, whiny, useless brat, to a much more mature, stronger character.

MeisterDM said:
Jotaro - he’s an emotionless emo bitch in part 3 and in part 6, he’s a horrible father and a pathetic damsel in distress

I haven't read Part 6, but I remember from the Part 3 anime, that Jotaro's emoness was exaggerated to a point where it was almost satirical. He's shown to have a dangerous temper. In Part 4, he matures significantly.

MeisterDM said:

Mayuri Shiina - Annoying and naive womanchild

Agreed.
removed-userJul 28, 2019 4:33 PM
Jul 28, 2019 5:32 PM

Mar 2012
Overhated:

Furukawa Nagisa & Ibuki Fuuko (Clannad) - the first I found relatable and nice, the latter was cute imo
Bakugou Katsuki (Boku no Hero Academia) - I didn't like him myself at first but really the hate this guy gets is ridiculous at this point
Sawamura Eijun (Diamond no Ace) - Sad that people drop DnA because they dislike him, they miss out on his great character development!

Underrated:

Sakamoto Tatsuma (Gintama) - he probably would've gotten more love if Sorachi included him into more arcs smh but luckily we got more of him towards the end of the series
Imai Nobume (Gintama) - a literal queen
Tendo Satori (Haikyuu) - come on how can you not love this guy and his weird expressions
Eustass Kid (One Piece) - loving him in the recent manga chapters

MeisterDM said:
Overrated characters:

I was so ready to rant and disagree but I just can't refute this claim lmao
YukkicchiJul 28, 2019 6:24 PM
Jul 28, 2019 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
Underrated: Mahiro Fuwa. He's easily my favorite character from Zetsuen no Tempest. Badass, smart, good-looking, quickwitted, moraly ambiguous, great friend and has amazing interactions with the whole cast and has a nice development at the end of the story. He should be more popular!

Overhated: Asuna Yuuki. She's complex, cute and badass to boot. Here roles on Aincrad/Progressive, Mother's Rosario, Ordinal Scale and 2nd part of the Alicization make her a great, compelling and well-developed character. But most peole only focus on her role on that non-existent arc. Kirito is pretty overhated too. But I have my personal grievances against him so it doens't bothers me as much. He still doesn't deserves it all tho.

Also why are people talking about over*ted characters? OP said nothing about them.
Jul 28, 2019 5:54 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Yukkicchi said:
Overhated:

Furukawa Nagisa & Ibuki Fuuko (Clannad) - the first I found relatable and nice, the latter was cute imo
Bakugou Katsuki (Boku no Hero Academia) - I didn't like him myself at first but really the hate this guy gets is ridiculous at this point
Sawamura Eijun (Diamond no Ace) - Sad that people drop DnA because they dislike him, they miss out on his great character development!

Underrated:

Sakamoto Tatsuma (Gintama) - he probably would've gotten more love if Sorachi included him into more arcs smh but luckily we got more of him towards the end of the series
Imai Nobume (Gintama) - a literal queen
Tendo Satori (Haikyuu) - come on how can you not love this guy and his weird expressions
Eustass Kid (One Piece) - loving him in the recent manga chapters

MeisterDM said:
Overrated characters:

I was so ready to rant and disagree but I just can't refute this claim lmao

I hate the way he treats my favourite character, especially in the Dekoboko arc and that one arc parodying SAW. People constantly rag on Otae for beating people up but a lot of them fangirl over Okita’s sadism (the fact that he’s hot does help). I don’t see how they manage to be comrades with his bullshit. But I do like Hijikata’s loyalty towards Kondo.

@Nick-Knight OP said in a later post that we can mention overrated characters.
Jul 28, 2019 5:57 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I’d also mention Mineta from Boku Aca. Yes, he’s a subpar character and he’s a loser pervert, but there are far worse offenders in anime such as Meliodas, Hisoka, Araragi, Jiraiya. If he was hot, he wouldn’t be getting half the hate he gets. He’s just a side character thats irrelevant, take it easy guys.

Sakuragi/An-chan from Rainbow deserves a mention as well since he’s the best brother figure to exist in anime.

Lockon from Gundam 00. He has a wonderful personality and is a very kind person.

Kougyoku from Magi - Morgiana is cool and all, but she’s badass and a feminine princess at the same time.
Jul 28, 2019 6:09 PM

May 2010
@PorchmonkeyD

LOL Did i read that right, that you tried to take a shot at Kamina? He's one of the GOAT shounen characters of all time (althought i give the edge to Lord Genome as being the best in TTGL).

Agree on Obito being underrated/overhated or w/e. I actually wrote about how he's one of the best anti-villains of all time.

MY own answer:

Kirito - Excellent character who is, obviously, one of the most hated characters of all time. My guess is some people IRL probably lost their real life girlfriends to him, and still hold a grudge to this day.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 28, 2019 6:10 PM

Sep 2017
for over hated its emiya shirou,the amount of hate he gets is so large that its hard to find anyone that likes him,when i say him i dont mean his other versions like in fgo but the one in fate stay night.
Yes hes annoying at times,yes hes a dummy but his ideals are what drive him just like kiritsugu

Its ok to not like him like i do but to constantly bash his character is wasted time.

Also shinji ikari,let the 14 year act like a 14 year old and not the typical shounen mc

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jul 28, 2019 6:11 PM

May 2010
tookawaiii said:
for over hated its emiya shirou,the amount of hate he gets is so large that its hard to find anyone that likes him,when i say him i dont mean his other versions like in fgo but the one in fate stay night.
Yes hes annoying at times,yes hes a dummy but his ideals are what drive him just like kiritsugu

Its ok to not like him like i do but to constantly bash his character is wasted time.

Also shinji ikari,let the 14 year act like a 14 year old and not the typical shounen mc

Oh boy 2 of my least favourite male protagonists of all time lol

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 28, 2019 6:16 PM

Jan 2018
Maybe Joseph from JoJo is overhated.

I love his completely unexpected personality that strays from a generic mc.

Also its fucking brilliant when he runs away does a stragetic retreat to take down an enemy who is stronger than him.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Jul 28, 2019 6:26 PM

Mar 2012
Droids said:
Maybe Joseph from JoJo is overhated.

I love his completely unexpected personality that strays from a generic mc.

Also its fucking brilliant when he runs away does a stragetic retreat to take down an enemy who is stronger than him.

Is Joseph hated though? I only ever see people hate on Jotaro but Joseph is probably the character that gets love the most
Jul 28, 2019 6:36 PM

Jun 2014
Agree with Yasuri Nanami and Slain.

Akira Takizawa - He saved a lot of people and got no recognition and instead the people the he saved hated him.
Jul 28, 2019 7:26 PM

Aug 2018
Subaru from Re:zero and Ferris from DenYuuDen. Both are hated because the people can't see beyond their actions nor development because they are dumb.

tookawaiii said:

I agree so much on this, every weeabo with no life thinks that at that age they would be happy to fight monster on a freaking robot... they probably piss themselves when they see a bully irl.
Jul 28, 2019 7:40 PM

Jun 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
I agree so much on this, every weeabo with no life thinks that at that age they would be happy to fight monster on a freaking robot... they probably piss themselves when they see a bully irl.

There is a world of difference between not being physically brave and being a self-loathing neurotic whose only sense of worth is derived from praise and reassurance from others. It isn't being afraid of mechs and Angels. It's being afraid of taking a breath or taking a step down the hallway for fear of judgment or inadequacy. Depressive and borderline (BPD) cases can relate to this type of persona, but to a lot of others it's just frustrating and obnoxious to watch after a while.
Jul 28, 2019 8:49 PM

Aug 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
DaCraziGuy said:

There is a world of difference between not being physically brave and being a self-loathing neurotic whose only sense of worth is derived from praise and reassurance from others. It isn't being afraid of mechs and Angels. It's being afraid of taking a breath or taking a step down the hallway for fear of judgment or inadequacy. Depressive and borderline (BPD) cases can relate to this type of persona, but to a lot of others it's just frustrating and obnoxious to watch after a while.

1 - All the normal people is "neurotic", if you aren't it's because you aren't normal.
2 - People want to see their ideals, not their reality. This is why characters that tend to have a realistic personality are disliked. If you just look at the characters with the most favs it's more than obvious.
3 - If you have some empathy, you should understand that what happened to Shinji is really fucked up and that his fears are pretty realistic.

Jul 28, 2019 8:56 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Overrated:

Arararararagi - disgusting and incestuous loser pedophile who isn’t all that different from the average harem protagonist.
Jul 28, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2014
[I have never heard anyone else say this before so I might get murdered for it] imo Lelouch is overrated. He's a decent MC, but many people act like he is the most godlike intriguing character anyone has ever come up with.. which I just don't see..

I also agree on Shinji being overhated. I watched NGE for the first time recently as well, and expected him to be way worse based on reading people hating on him for a decade.
Jul 28, 2019 9:29 PM

Jun 2019
DaCraziGuy said:

1 - All the normal people is "neurotic", if you aren't it's because you aren't normal.
2 - People want to see their ideals, not their reality. This is why characters that tend to have a realistic personality are disliked. If you just look at the characters with the most favs it's more than obvious.
3 - If you have some empathy, you should understand that what happened to Shinji is really fucked up and that his fears are pretty realistic.

1. This is false. A neurotic personality is one prone to depression, anxiety, paranoia, hypochondria, etc. Observed in certain personality types and an underlying feature in depressive and BPD (borderline personality disorder) cases. By definition, that's a subset of humans, not "all normal people". And in a hypothetical scenario in which something did apply to all "normal people", there's nothing about that which would make it inherently good. What's normal just means what's done by the majority. It isn't a value statement as to the goodness or rightness of a thing.

If that were the case it wouldn't be desirable to be a "normal person" in that regard anyway. A lot of people having a problem doesn't mean you should want to have it too. That's not really thinking for yourself.

2. This is true, but Shinji is not the reality for myself and plenty of other people. It's the reality for people with depression and chronic insecurity; those obsessed with their self-image being dependent upon winning approval and validation from others just to feel worthy of being alive. I have plenty of other character traits many would consider flaws and I wouldn't mind seeing those depicted at all, but depression and self-loathing aren't remotely among them.

3. This just comes down to personal preference. My empathy has hard limits and I find that type of character fundamentally unrelatable.

Side note: The fact that I find the character fundamentally unrelatable does not at all mean that his story shouldn't be told and the character given screentime. Every great story has all sorts of characters; some you will identify with and root for, others which will inspire antipathy and you'll root against, and plenty others are "meh" or middling. That's all well and good. It's the trying to build Shinji up as the protagonist with the amount of Eva's runtime devoted to his nonsense that's the problem.
Jul 28, 2019 9:41 PM
Jul 2018
I have a few picks, also, I find it funny that alot of people misread overHATED as overRATED

Overhated:
- Zenitsu from Kimetsu no Yaiba
- Emma from Promised Neverland (talking about manga stuff)
- Sengoku Nadeko from Monogatari Series
- Sodachi Oikura from Monogatari Series

Underrated:
- Kirishima from My Hero Academia
- Mr. 2 from One Piece
- Kougyoku Ren from Magi
removed-userJul 28, 2019 11:08 PM
Jul 28, 2019 9:45 PM

Apr 2018
I'm not really clued in enough to what characters people hate to comment on it seriously, but I'd hazard a guess that most of the semi-nihilistic characters I love (Gilles de Rais from Fate/Zero, Shigaraki Tomura from My Hero Academia) and so forth, are just looked at as insane cliché villains that are just there to get shat on by the MC.

They are there to get battered tbf, but philosophically speaking their motivations for massacre are just as valid as a typical MC's for justice/revenge. Garou in OPM season 2 highlights the hypocrisy of heroes in interesting ways actually, so maybe him as well, although I've seen a lot of love for the him.
Jul 28, 2019 9:55 PM
Sep 2017
Underrated: Diavolo ( Look i know that Kira is better than Diavolo, but Diavolo is better than DIO for sure )

Overhated: Sasuke ( People saying that his hole arc didn´t makes sense, well.. that´s the point, he is a teenager that saw his parents get kill by his brother, I would expect him to become really insane.

Other overhated is Eren everyone saying " Ohh Eren such a crybaby" DUDE the boy saw his mother getting eaten, why you expect him to be a normal person?
Jul 28, 2019 10:00 PM
Aug 2015
Hitomi Shizuki from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. She did nothing wrong.
Jul 28, 2019 10:05 PM

Mar 2015
Obligatory Fugo did nothing wrong.

Sakura from Fate comes to mind for overhated. I feel like she got hate even before HF movies started airing, and like tf y'all hating on her for when she hardly does anything in the first two routes. Hopefully she'll get more appreciation once HF finishes.

Jul 28, 2019 10:16 PM

Aug 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
DaCraziGuy said:

1. This is false. A neurotic personality is one prone to depression, anxiety, paranoia, hypochondria, etc. Observed in certain personality types and an underlying feature in depressive and BPD (borderline personality disorder) cases. By definition, that's a subset of humans, not "all normal people". And in a hypothetical scenario in which something did apply to all "normal people", there's nothing about that which would make it inherently good. What's normal just means what's done by the majority. It isn't a value statement as to the goodness or rightness of a thing.

If that were the case it wouldn't be desirable to be a "normal person" in that regard anyway. A lot of people having a problem doesn't mean you should want to have it too. That's not really thinking for yourself.

2. This is true, but Shinji is not the reality for myself and plenty of other people. It's the reality for people with depression and chronic insecurity; those obsessed with their self-image being dependent upon winning approval and validation from others just to feel worthy of being alive. I have plenty of other character traits many would consider flaws and I wouldn't mind seeing those depicted at all, but depression and self-loathing aren't remotely among them.

3. This just comes down to personal preference. My empathy has hard limits and I find that type of character fundamentally unrelatable.

Side note: The fact that I find the character fundamentally unrelatable does not at all mean that his story shouldn't be told and the character given screentime. Every great story has all sorts of characters; some you will identify with and root for, others which will inspire antipathy and you'll root against, and plenty others are "meh" or middling. That's all well and good. It's the trying to build Shinji up as the protagonist with the amount of Eva's runtime devoted to his nonsense that's the problem.
1 - You should search the meaning of neurotic and the % of people that has it. If you are not neurotic it means that you are a psychopath or a sociopath. Neurotic is basically having emotions, and of course, there are different degrees of neurotics.

2 - I don't feel related to Shinji, I do find it realistic.

3 - Feelling no empathy towards someone because it's different from you seems like a really big issue imo. Not sure how to anwser to that.
Jul 28, 2019 11:01 PM

Aug 2017
Overhated:
*Kirito from SAO: y'all jealous of him cuz he has a gf unlike u.
*Shinji from Eva: he's one of the most human anime characters.
*Deku from BNHA
*Bakugou from BNHA

Overratad:
*Saitama: he's boring, annoying and stupid.

Underrated:
N/A

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 28, 2019 11:23 PM

Jun 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
1 - You should search the meaning of neurotic and the % of people that has it. If you are not neurotic it means that you are a psychopath or a sociopath. Neurotic is basically having emotions, and of course, there are different degrees of neurotics.

2 - I don't feel related to Shinji, I do find it realistic.

3 - Feelling no empathy towards someone because it's different from you seems like a really big issue imo. Not sure how to anwser to that.

1. Neurotic as defined by Merriam-Webster:

Of, relating to, constituting, or affected with neurosis.

As it is derivative, allow me to continue.

Neurosis as defined by Merriam-Webster:

A mental and emotional disorder that affects only part of the personality, is accompanied by a less distorted perception of reality than in psychosis, does not result in disturbance in the use of language, and is accompanied by various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances (such as visceral symptoms, anxieties, or phobias).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/neurotic

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/neurosis

See dictionary definition as cited in above links.

So no, not the default psychological makeup of all or most of humanity, and it certainly isn't true that any non-neurotic is psychopathic or sociopathic. Having emotions, which everyone has to varying degrees, is something completely different than being overtaken by them to the point of debilitation as in neurotic cases.

And certainly, it should go without saying, but not everyone is required to be the same type of human anyway, psychologically, neurologically, or otherwise. But it's just false that neurotics constitute a majority of the human population. This is misinformation. Neurotics, psychopaths, and sociopaths are all distinctly in the minority.

2. Sure, he's plenty realistic as I've even known a couple of people with a lot of similarities. Yet a character sitting on a toilet bowl and defecating for 25 minutes would be realistic too. It doesn't mean I necessarily want to watch it clog up the runtime and that's how I feel about Shinji's self-wallowing. After a while it's just uninteresting to watch, however realistic.

3. I'm just not a very empathetic person, outside of the very limited number of people and things I care about. Not everyone has the same levels of affective empathy and is required to think the same and feel the same about everything or express it in the same way. A lot of that has to do with neurochemistry and a lot of it has to do with environment and life experiences. Anyway, it doesn't mean I can't be moved, at times even to tears, but it will never be by self-pitying and self-hating characters whose raison d'etre is external validation since it's something so fundamentally alien to me.

WatchTillTandavaJul 28, 2019 11:30 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 25 minutes ago

5 by machy871 »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

17 by SPTLayzner »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

28 by deg »»
15 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 3 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 10 hours ago

102 by LostSpectre »»
16 minutes ago

» Crunchyroll lawsuit ( 1 2 )

billybub - Oct 10, 2023

52 by KittenCuddler »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.