Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 30, 2018 5:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, Misaka gets more relevance this season and has a more meaningful conversation with Touma. Her feelings are also pretty obvious and has been building up this whole time.

Kanzaki Kaori's fight against Acqua also reached its climax as expected. Still had to get used to her character design though. I actually prefer the one she had originally from the first season. On the contrary, I wasn't impressed by Touma at all. He got easily beaten by Aqua that sent him to the hospital. The ero maid jokes though lol

About time Fiamma of the Right showed up!
Nov 30, 2018 5:44 AM

Aug 2013
So this episode concludes Double Jesus arc.

*sigh* yeah that's it, this show should change its name to Toaru Majutsu NO Effort.

7 years of waiting and it turns out the most enjoyable show I've been watching in this season is a fucking braindead idol show. Sasuga JC(rap) Staff. Might as well expect Railgun and Accel to be doomed with QUALITY galore, given how miniscule the shit they've given for this season so far.
loli_a_ravioliNov 30, 2018 5:53 AM
Nov 30, 2018 5:56 AM

Jul 2016
loli_a_ravioli said:
Might as well expect Railgun and Accel to be doomed with QUALITY galore.

I thought that's already obvious when they stated they made Index III on rushed and shows they're working more than 10 anime series? (Index III, Million Arthur, Railgun 3, Accelerator, One Punch Man Season 2, Konosuba movie, Date a Live Season 3 and many more series that I can't remember it completely.)

To add this, One Punch Man Season 2 will also be doomed too since J.C also work on that anime as well, I expect MAL will be suffering in a great chaotic war if OPMS2 turned out to be bad in BOTH art/animation and story wise.
Nov 30, 2018 6:08 AM

Aug 2013
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
loli_a_ravioli said:
Might as well expect Railgun and Accel to be doomed with QUALITY galore.

I thought that's already obvious when they stated they made Index III on rushed and shows they're working more than 10 anime series? (Index III, Million Arthur, Railgun 3, Accelerator, One Punch Man Season 2, Konosuba movie, Date a Live Season 3 and many more series that I can't remember it completely.)

To add this, One Punch Man Season 2 will also be doomed too since J.C also work on that anime as well, I expect MAL will be suffering in a great chaotic war if OPMS2 turned out to be bad in BOTH art/animation and story wise.

I thought OPM2 has its own production team? Iirc even most of the people that worked for the 1st season are not madhouse's in-house staffs.
Nov 30, 2018 6:21 AM

Jul 2012
Don not want to be extreme and hope for the best, especially for Index, but that was really bad. And after 2 episodes which were somewhat giving signals of life this was just very sad. The atmosphere was completely destroyed, Touma out of nowhere coming out and using IB, what even was that?!
I said to myself to just give up on animation for the rest of the series, but this just went beyond the possible limits, it was painful to watch, the explosions looked like a complete joke, all the blurred faces ...
I mean i can at least enjoy Mikoto's scene, don't know if it really neede to be that long, but i think it's better than the battle ...
At least Fiamma's part was not that bad, and Vento is back.
Neverthless i will finish the season, but it's so dissapointing that after 10 years we get THIS ...
Nov 30, 2018 6:44 AM

Jul 2016
loli_a_ravioli said:
I thought OPM2 has its own production team? Iirc even most of the people that worked for the 1st season are not madhouse's in-house staffs.

You may be right about it (And if I was right the anime has been worked for 2 years now), but I don't believe if OPM2's quality will be good enough with that tight production schedule. I can guess they may somehow brought OPM2 staff team to works on other anime as well, especially in the currently airing anime like Index III. I heard that J.C brought Million Arthur's staff team (?) to works on one of Index III's episodes due to they don't have enough time to working on it.
Nov 30, 2018 6:49 AM

Aug 2013
allenjke said:
Don not want to be extreme and hope for the best, especially for Index, but that was really bad. And after 2 episodes which were somewhat giving signals of life this was just very sad. The atmosphere was completely destroyed, Touma out of nowhere coming out and using IB, what even was that?!
I said to myself to just give up on animation for the rest of the series, but this just went beyond the possible limits, it was painful to watch, the explosions looked like a complete joke, all the blurred faces ...
I mean i can at least enjoy Mikoto's scene, don't know if it really neede to be that long, but i think it's better than the battle ...
Neverthless i will finish the season, but it's so dissapointing that after 10 years we get THIS ...

What do you expect from a director whose only good work is Azumanga Daioh? (Ofc I'm not implying the show is bad, it's just that the source itself is already good enough that he didn't even need much effort to work on it)

This episode only shows just how much of a hack the director is if things are not about Mikotsun/Indexcrab fanservices or another romcom jokes. Just look at how long he stretched Kanzaki and Tsuchi jokes when those minutes could be used for more Pope scenes, giving him you know, a bit more personality and character like in the volume.
Nov 30, 2018 7:01 AM

Jul 2012
loli_a_ravioli said:
allenjke said:

What do you expect from a director whose only good work is Azumanga Daioh? (Ofc I'm not implying the show is bad, it's just that the source itself is already good enough that he didn't even need much effort to work on it)

This episode only shows just how much of a hack the director is if things are not about Mikotsun/Indexcrab fanservices or another romcom jokes. Just look at how long he stretched Kanzaki and Tsuchi jokes when those minutes could be used for more Pope scenes, giving him you know, a bit more personality and character like in the volume.

And people give so much shit to Nagai, i might the only one (probably not) who really didn't mind all those 4leaf clover additions, only if not for "Silent party". At this point i think Nishikiori is trying to destroy Index, i wonder why Kamachi believes in him. Really wanted to believe that Royal British arc might be decent, there's no way ...
Nov 30, 2018 7:35 AM

Aug 2009
allenjke said:
loli_a_ravioli said:

And people give so much shit to Nagai, i might the only one (probably not) who really didn't mind all those 4leaf clover additions, only if not for "Silent party". At this point i think Nishikiori is trying to destroy Index, i wonder why Kamachi believes in him. Really wanted to believe that Royal British arc might be decent, there's no way ...

Nagai's fillers are fucking annoying shit that shouldnt exist. But he KNOWS how to adapt something(except the Railgun 1 bridge scene).
FFS, both of them adapted the same arc.Just look at the differences. Nagai will always, and rightfully so, be shitted on for his fillers.But at least he gave us an amazing, in everything, Sisters arc.
Nov 30, 2018 8:05 AM

Jul 2012
ssjokg said:
allenjke said:

Nagai's fillers are fucking annoying shit that shouldnt exist. But he KNOWS how to adapt something(except the Railgun 1 bridge scene).
FFS, both of them adapted the same arc.Just look at the differences. Nagai will always, and rightfully so, be shitted on for his fillers.But at least he gave us an amazing, in everything, Sisters arc.

Well, seems like people really don't like his fillers. Probably completely by coincidence and unrelated, but stalling down the story might've led to 3rd season.
Tbf i think Sisters arc in Railgun is better than in LN, i was reading it after watching both versions and hoped it will be much better than in anime. In comparison with the Railgun it felt very underwhelming. Still thinking if it was the early translation that was not the best and mb with something missing.
Nov 30, 2018 8:19 AM

Nov 2009

HMMMMM

THIS ANIMATION TICKLES MY FUNNY BONE
Nov 30, 2018 8:23 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The dual between Kanzaki and Acqua sure was intense and impressive. It was fortunate that Touma ran into Misaka and not collapse along the way. It was cute seeing her to finally show the concern that she's trying so hard to hide from him. In combat strength of motivation is just as important as quality of arms is its good that Kanzaki realized this. Using this to make her realize her error and learn to trust her followers was a smart move. That was some nice teamwork between Kanzaki, Touma and Itsuwa in the end that concluded that fight. But sneaking out sure ended up putting Touma in hot water though. Seems the enemies plans are getting more complex. Never expected God's right hand to go rogue though. A pretty good episode that did well balancing action with plot development.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2018 8:51 AM
Oct 2018
Pretty enjoyable episode, kept the important bits and actually looked good
Nov 30, 2018 9:54 AM

Jan 2014
Simply put this is heading into the 5/10 rating zone for me, i think overall i'm now only watching this to maybe get to see more of Misaka, besides that quality wise it seems to go downhill fast. Can't wait for Railgun 3 to get started!
Nov 30, 2018 10:27 AM

Mar 2016
Should've shown a full shot of Kanzari with the maid outfit.....just saying the truth, guys :P
#disappointed
still a fun episode, though
Nov 30, 2018 10:27 AM

Mar 2016
MrFalkers said:
Simply put this is heading into the 5/10 rating zone for me, i think overall i'm now only watching this to maybe get to see more of Misaka, besides that quality wise it seems to go downhill fast. Can't wait for Railgun 3 to get started!

It's still enjoyable cause it's frigging ToAru, but yea, I don't like how this season has gone so far. So the anticipation for Railgun 3 is real.
Nov 30, 2018 10:31 AM

Apr 2010
Kanzaki getting screentime was nice but she always needs more.
Anyway it seems started moving in Rome and it looks like next episode will be interesting.
Nov 30, 2018 11:04 AM

Feb 2013
It's a pity we didn't see her wear that fallen angel costume.
Nov 30, 2018 11:20 AM
Jun 2017
At this rate they might start adapting the first 2 arcs of new testament. The pace is really fast.
Nov 30, 2018 12:02 PM

Feb 2013
Otaku__Life said:
At this rate they might start adapting the first 2 arcs of new testament. The pace is really fast.

This Anime will end with OT volume 22. No NT.
Nov 30, 2018 12:03 PM
Jun 2017
Skyguardian said:
Otaku__Life said:

did they confirm that. The pacing is insanely fast.
Nov 30, 2018 12:09 PM

Aug 2009
This shit must be a joke.

If this didnt have To aru in the title it would be just as bad as that Imouto series that everyone laughs at this season.
Nov 30, 2018 12:10 PM

Feb 2013
Otaku__Life said:
Skyguardian said:

Because this is how Anime works.
NT won't get animated and we should be grateful.

I still disagree with the constant bitching of some people here, who apparently only have this show in their lifes but okay.
Nov 30, 2018 12:12 PM

Jul 2014
Man... never thought I'd say this but yeah.. the quality is horrible compared to its previous seasons, To aru fights most of the time looked good, we barely had anything resembling an actual sakuga in this season... this was one of my most anticipated shows this season but now watching it feels like a damn chore.
Nov 30, 2018 12:14 PM
Jun 2017
Skyguardian said:
Otaku__Life said:

I still disagree with the constant bitching of some people here, who apparently only have this show in their lifes but okay.
Skyguardian said:
Otaku__Life said:

Same. People are giving a lot of hate this season. I'm grateful we even got a 3rd season after all these years
Nov 30, 2018 12:38 PM
Feb 2017
Honestly, this is a guitly pleasure show for me.
Its fun, i don't take it seriously unlike the previous seasons. I am really looking forward for the WW3 arc and epic battle between fiamma and touma.
Having followed all the LN, manga and anime. I'm not bothered by how fast paced it is.
But for new people starting the serie, it might be an awful show as you have nothing to reference in.
Animation wise, I don't find it that bad. No excessive usage of still frames or bad battle rythm like some Isekai adaptation we have seen. Working in animation myself, I'm pretty amazed by how rushed yet not awfull looking it is. It could have been way way worse. With poor sound, 3D and 2D intergration. Its in the high average for me.
Nov 30, 2018 12:41 PM

Sep 2014
"Those testaments to mammality, which is to say, oppai!"

Greatest quote ever. Ever.

Nice episode, pacing did not feel to bad - if you dont care about the church stuff that is.

And touma likely forgot his conversation with best girl railgun. Yare yare daze..

PS: Wahhh! W-w-w-waaaahhh! Why did we not see her after she put it on?

@Otaku_Life it is not our fault that both of yoz dont have standards.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 30, 2018 12:42 PM
Oct 2018
Skyguardian said:
Otaku__Life said:

Yeah, this episode was pretty great, well really all of the Acqua episodes was pretty great, they did a good job adapting it.
NT will be animated though, they obviously teased that and Othinus has a voice actor now.
Nov 30, 2018 12:55 PM
Aug 2018
Alright... I'll just put this show on-hold for now. Maybe I'll pick it up later, maybe I won't.

But god, this episode was another deep dive down the pit of mediocrity. We were almost on a good way out of it with eps 7 and 8.

I'll save myself the upcoming disappointment for some time later.
Nov 30, 2018 12:57 PM

Jan 2009
teamwork defeated Acqua on that one

that leader of the right seat of God is overpowered it seems
Nov 30, 2018 1:21 PM
Jan 2016
Good and enjoyable episode!

Mikasa finally reveals that she knows about Touma lost of memory, and was a meaningful conversation, and i think it was important, she was cute while finally telling him a litle how she feel, and seems taht she finally understand how she fell about him!

Kanzaki fight against Acqua was really intense, was cool when she surpased her lack of confidence for her followers from Amakusa! Really cool when she ask for help for them!

Cute part between Itsuka and Touma!

Wow! Fiamma of the right has showen up and fought against pope with no mercy, he looks to much powerfull! Btw, nice to see Vento!
Nov 30, 2018 1:26 PM

Nov 2013
allenjke said:
And after 2 episodes which were somewhat giving signals of life this was just very sad
I kinda have to disagree there. I really don't see how the last two episodes were any improvement, things were still happening too fast, characters still fell flat, lots of exposition was still cut, etc etc.

I'd say they were actually worse due to having more QUALITY than previous arcs.
Nov 30, 2018 2:41 PM

Feb 2014
The end of the arc was a little on the rushed side, again. At least it was still enjoyable, though.

I really liked the scene with Touma and Misaka, where she tells him that she now knows about Touma having amnesia. Despite that, he goes on his merry way, while Misaka stands there, being unsure whether to help him or not.

The character art quality looks better during the comedy scenes compared to the action scenes, which is a little annoying. It reminds me of Persona 5 Animations visual quality during its run earlier this year, with one scene having some good art quality, the the next scene the quality jumps off a cliff. =/

Either way, I'm still looking forward to the next episode. =)
Nov 30, 2018 2:49 PM

Mar 2018
As other people have said, this episode is definitely rushed. I can't complain too much since I haven't read the novels (yet), but this week left me feeling kind of disappointed. I also really missed the OP since it gets me hyped, but I understood why they skipped it. I have high hopes that next week will be better.
Xerxes126Nov 30, 2018 2:53 PM

"Ehehehe.....I did my best!" - Pururut
Nov 30, 2018 3:23 PM
Oct 2018
Xerxes126 said:
As other people have said, this episode is definitely rushed. I can't complain too much since I haven't read the novels (yet), but this week left me feeling kind of disappointed. I also really missed the OP since it gets me hyped, but I understood why they skipped it. I have high hopes that next week will be better.

Just look at these
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/a1trhu/toaru_majutsu_no_index_iii_episode_9_discussion/eat0vsv/

I can definitely say it wasn’t really rushed though.
Nov 30, 2018 4:24 PM

Jul 2012
Botato said:
allenjke said:
And after 2 episodes which were somewhat giving signals of life this was just very sad
I kinda have to disagree there. I really don't see how the last two episodes were any improvement, things were still happening too fast, characters still fell flat, lots of exposition was still cut, etc etc.

I liked 2 previous episodes, you have to expect cutting-off some stuff so those 2 episodes were covering decently the arc. In this conclusion the whole atmosphere were killed, Touma just appeared out nowhere and used IB, i thought it looked so stupid ... Well and again if talking about animation this time it was beyond awful. I'm not all saying that animation is all for the work, but this is just pathetic. And well i want to defend Index for something, but there isn't just anything.
Nov 30, 2018 4:27 PM

Nov 2015
WTF Misaka?!?! Like..."Well my friend Touma is clearly incapable of even walking a straight line but I'll let him go off to a potential life or death battle without an argument." I don't care about her realization that she obviously loves him. Her choice was flat out stupid/insane. Plus it wasn't in character. She loves to fight!

Otherwise I am so totally done with this season. I'm watching it as a chore, not from enjoyment. What a waste.
Nov 30, 2018 4:52 PM

Jun 2012
ssjokg said:
This shit must be a joke.

If this didnt have To aru in the title it would be just as bad as that Imouto series that everyone laughs at this season.

Couldn't have said it better.
Funny how it's okay to criticize Imouto but if we criticize Index because we should be "grateful" for a 3 season, suddenly we are ingrates...
Nov 30, 2018 5:15 PM
Jan 2017
The voice of fiamma is very good. Also great episode
Nov 30, 2018 5:19 PM
Oct 2014
Xerxes126 said:
This entire adaptation is rushed. Stop parroting it every episode, we know it's a mess.
Nov 30, 2018 5:31 PM

Apr 2014
Ugh, this quality, I currently switched to the mentality of watching a doujin anime, a really really expensive doujin anime.

Oh, well, after 2 month, I can't even get enough energy to get mad at it now.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Nov 30, 2018 6:07 PM

Jul 2017
Misaka was great.

Everything else was just so badly handled.
Nov 30, 2018 6:30 PM

Nov 2016
so Aleister can control Touma IB?
Nov 30, 2018 7:08 PM

Apr 2014
revyHOLiC said:

No, he controls Touma's life and action, at least 98% of it. He have monitors set up that spies on Touma 24/7.

Where Touma goes, how he thinks, what kind of underwear he wears on that day, its all catalogued.

Because of this, he controls Touma's life. Think Truman Show, only a lot more creepy and sinister.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Nov 30, 2018 9:07 PM
Mar 2016
Botato said:
allenjke said:

exposition getting cut out sounds like a good thing. I mean alot of it you can kinda just figure out by context. like i just watched the battle royale arc and it was fast paced but fun.
Nov 30, 2018 9:22 PM
Mar 2015
Way to take down Acuqa
Nov 30, 2018 9:24 PM

Oct 2014
Fiamma was awesome

Nov 30, 2018 9:34 PM
Oct 2018
Somecallme_kj said:
Botato said:

exposition getting cut out sounds like a good thing. I mean alot of it you can kinda just figure out by context. like i just watched the battle royale arc and it was fast paced but fun.

ikr, battle royal arc is fun enough even if its fast paced.
Nov 30, 2018 9:35 PM

Jul 2015
Touma and Misaka moments were nice and really loved it.

But Touma didn't mention that he remembers the sisters and Misaka.

Dec 1, 2018 2:36 AM

Nov 2016
ap1001 said:
revyHOLiC said:

No, he controls Touma's life and action, at least 98% of it. He have monitors set up that spies on Touma 24/7.

Where Touma goes, how he thinks, what kind of underwear he wears on that day, its all catalogued.

Because of this, he controls Touma's life. Think Truman Show, only a lot more creepy and sinister.
Did he control Fiamma too?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Can you imagine if the Final arc was a 3 part movie Adaptation like the Kizu movies?

BerriesSan - Mar 22

10 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 13, 2:48 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index III Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2019

354 by bakakisima »»
Dec 11, 2023 7:07 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index III Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2019

117 by bakakisima »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:56 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index III Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2019

74 by bakakisima »»
Dec 8, 2023 6:46 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index III Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2019

82 by bakakisima »»
Dec 5, 2023 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.