Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What do you think of the character, Subaru from Re:Zero?
Oct 10, 2018 11:06 PM
Jul 2015
Reference vid:

Edit: Season 2 Subaru is peak 🔥
SugappleAug 3, 2023 6:22 AM

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 11, 2018 12:11 AM

Aug 2015
I don't care about Rem and that little love triangle but I find Subaru extremely annoying because of his stupidity. Seriously he's the only character of anime, who manages to become a little dumber with every new episode.
Oct 11, 2018 12:12 AM

Apr 2016
Nothing at all, he's your typical edgy, harem, isekai protagonist for selfinserts.

Also can we please stop making threads based on shitty youtubers ? This is MAL i believe that the level of discussion is higher than that of a youtube community.
SwagernatorOct 11, 2018 12:17 AM
Oct 11, 2018 12:20 AM

May 2018
Subaru is a nice guy (and Emilia is best girl) it's the anime I found boring...thus dropping it early.
Oct 11, 2018 12:26 AM

Nov 2017
51% hate 41% like.... so i vote neutral, i dont read Re:Zero novel bcoz some of particular reason.
Now Loading.....
Oct 11, 2018 12:26 AM

Nov 2013
I'm comparing him with Keiji Kiriya (All You Need Is Kill), since they both are in the same situation, more or less. Keiji is composed (as much as possible in his situation at least), actively tries to break out of the loop and when it doesn't work out, he decides to use it to his advantage. Though he has the has the advantage of being slightly older and having basic military training.

Subaru is a loudmouth, annoying and, honestly, rather stupid.

All You Need Is Kill had the advantage not to devolve into a meaningless waifu war though.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 11, 2018 12:33 AM

Apr 2018
I must say that the thing that irks me most about Subaru is how he literally seesaws between 55 and 145 IQ multiple times throughout the series. I mean, I guess part of that is inevitable when you're literally dying and resetting several times per arc.. But his idiot moments are literally beyond stupid or irritating at times, and his genius moments are also quite sudden and are awkward at times. A lot of this is also compounded by stuff that the anime simply does not get right at all. For example, I found his relationship/love with Emilia, which the author keeps pushing, patently unconvincing which makes his outburst with Julius and at the selection ceremony quite pathetic.
Oct 11, 2018 1:22 AM

Aug 2018
I dont really care for the romance subplot but i think he's among the more realistic protagonists in an isekai
Oct 11, 2018 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
i will never understand why so many people like Rem,i never liked her
Subaru on the other hand,i'm indifferent about
Oct 11, 2018 1:52 AM

Nov 2017
Meh there was nothing interesting about him or his backstory but nothing especially wrong either, the entire cast of that anime was literally like that.
Oct 11, 2018 2:02 AM

Jan 2018
I think Subaru is a quite average character,and that's REALLY bad,compared to the anime as a whole,his character doesnt stand out,just a normal guy,he has no personallity,he's stupid,annoying,I dont particularly hate him,but i wouldnt say that I love him either.

About whether he chooses Rem or Emilia,I'm okay with that,since Subaru isnt great or anything.Plus we havent seen much from Emilia,and Rem had much more screen time,atleast from the anime,so we cant make the final conclusion who is the best girl^^

Overall I think I'm the neutral one,but if someone said who would I choose if I were Subaru,probably Rem(the reason is above).
Oct 11, 2018 2:07 AM

Oct 2015
i liked him until the author realised, fk this is a web novel
and made him the most tryhard mc possible
>destroy countless timelines
>is really the chosen one despite being built up not to be one
>literally was given chance to end his suffering but doesnt
>only girl who truly understands him is in perma coma and is literally an unreal
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Oct 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Feb 2013
as far as ordinary high school boy protags go, he's allright; express love for emilia and isn't afraid of anything
Oct 11, 2018 3:42 AM

Sep 2017
I haven't even watched Re:zero yet but I like Subaru because he rejected Rem.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Oct 11, 2018 5:06 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I dislike him as a person.
He isn't very likable and while he does try to improve over time (and is also forced to in order to progress the/his story), he always returns to his old state of mind whenever the pressure is off.

He got points for not hooking up with Rem, knowing what she can be like and sticking to someone he truly loves, he made a good decision. But at the same time he really has to improve and make up for past mistakes before I'll accept a relationship between him and Emilia.
Oct 11, 2018 6:11 AM
Mar 2016
ah Subaru...the most insufferable, tryhard, arrogant, demanding MC I have ever witness in any anime, so bad that makes Kirito as a MC decent. His constant meddling and stupidity left me dumbfounded. Even after he learns his lessons in common sense and not act like the world owes him, he falls back to his old ways very easily.

The best thing that ever happen to him as a character is when that knight beat the shit out of him for being a dick. I am sure everyone cheered like me when that happened.

Re-zero is a terrible anime anyway, so i am not surprised it has such annoying MC.

and what is the deal with that waifu war/ best girl bullshit? seriously, i don't even understand it.
d_agraOct 11, 2018 8:32 AM
Oct 11, 2018 6:18 AM

Jan 2018
The only redeeming quality about subaru is when he rejected rem. It's a nice breakthrough after all the bad thing he did.
Oct 11, 2018 6:19 AM

May 2013
I love that character. He is well written when compared to many fantasy anime protagonists. We are expected to dislike him and the author pretty much makes it a point that Subaru is his own person and especially not someone who can easily self-insert in him. He will take actions that will not always go with the audience's wishes.

Subaru has a huge set of insecurities and emotional baggage with him, primarily due to him being a NEET/hikkikomori. His erratic behaviour is further bolstered by the fact that he simply doesn't know how to behave around people. He went on treating this new world as if it was a game-world where NPCs have predefined personalities and he is the hero of the game where everyone just listens to him. It's not very often we see characters where the author systematically breaks him down (although the author did this by a roundabout way of torturing the guy to mental breakdown, like it or hate it). Personally, I thought it was a great way of shattering that 'nice-guy' complex Subaru suffers from.

Underlying message behind his character growth, 'if you were shit in the previous life, you are going to remain like shit in your new life. To break out of the mold, grow up and change'. The infamous episode 18 is just about that. It's a psychological anime for a reason, so it's kind of expected to try to understand the characters and their behaviours to make sense of things.

It's a damn shame that the characters in the anime are unfortunately, or rather the entire anime, was seen through the spotlight of waifu-tards when it wasn't even about that.

It's pretty obvious that plenty of people misunderstood the point of episode 18 but hey, whatever floats their boat. Waifu-goggles are the new fad. The anime does more of show instead of tell, which is what likely caused misunderstandings.
KreatorXOct 11, 2018 6:24 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 6:30 AM

Nov 2015
I don't hate him, I'm neutral.

He's straight up trash, garbage written char tho.
Oct 11, 2018 6:33 AM

Feb 2016
I don't exactly dislike him, or like him either but here are some flaws on his character (that also includes convenience on the story):

1- His determination on the first arc flew away and he ends up being way more stupid. He should have guessed several things that could have helped him in the future, but he decided to ignore it because "uh, but muh waifu"

2- His stupidity lead him to die pointless deaths only for the sake of shock factor. I could have think of different ways to tell his situation without actually saying he returns from death. He could have said that he was cursed by Satella and that's the reason he smells like her.

3- For the sake of plot convenience, he can't say that he returns from death. He could have easily said that he can foresee the future or something like that, maybe not everyone could believe him, but Emilia could have.

4- He had the strength to almost wield a big club, he should have practiced with a sword after that and he might have not embarrassed everyone at the Castle ceremony including his waifu.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 11, 2018 6:36 AM

Oct 2018
I hate every characters in that series lol. I downloaded the whole season of re:zero and deleted all after watching ep 1 and 2. XP

Holding on is believing that there's only a past. Letting go is knowing that there's a future.
Oct 11, 2018 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
I think he is stupid and lacks good personality traits, so i could never like him
Oct 11, 2018 6:40 AM

Aug 2013
He's an idiot (choosing Emilia, pfffffff), but to be honest, he's one of the very few typical shounen MCs that I like.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 11, 2018 6:41 AM

Sep 2018
I like Subaru do to his tenacity. I like that general attitude and his character flaws make him somehat likable imo.
Oct 11, 2018 6:46 AM

May 2017
I don't think Subaru is a bad character, but I just feel like he is in the wrong show...
Oct 11, 2018 6:48 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
What exactly is there to like about him? People just point out how relatable he is and awkward as if he's the outstanding example of the hikkikomori. Also him coming to this realization that "maybe I'm acting entitled" and growing from that in a pretty boring to me.

If all there is to him is how he was shit and how he grows to be decent but there is nothing else to like about him then *yawn*
Oct 11, 2018 6:48 AM

May 2013
Kamira00 said:
I don't think Subaru is a bad character, but I just feel like he is in the wrong show...

I think deep down Subaru thinks the same too. lol
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 6:57 AM

Jan 2008
I'm want to say I'm neutral towards him but if I was forced to pick, I would say I liked him more so than disliked. He at least kept me humored.

Kamira00 said:

Is that not a point of being an isekai? To be a different and conflicting character to the norms of the world they get sent too? If anything, most main characters you see in an isekai are too quick to change/adapt and don't feel like they are from another world, making that element of the story meaningless compared to if the story was change to just being born in that fantasy world from the start.
Oct 11, 2018 7:13 AM

May 2017
Paul said:
I'm want to say I'm neutral towards him but if I was forced to pick, I would say I liked him more so than disliked. He at least kept me humored.

Kamira00 said:

Is that not a point of being an isekai? To be a different and conflicting character to the norms of the world they get sent too? If anything, most main characters you see in an isekai are too quick to change/adapt and don't feel like they are from another world, making that element of the story meaningless compared to if the story was change to just being born in that fantasy world from the start.

I mean genre speaking, I feel like he would be a perfect comedy Isekai protagonist, but not a drama one... but maybe it’s just me...
Oct 11, 2018 8:04 AM

Aug 2017
He was a cowardly wimp at first. But as the anime progressed, his mindset changed and became someone most people would respect.
He's a good kid.
Oct 11, 2018 8:04 AM

Feb 2015
Not a very long answer

Also for the lulz...

short answer

I do not like Subaru, I actually feel like his a real person personified in an anime which sees the different aspects of his self. Rem as a character is a very very good "back-up" in a way that without her, Subaru would probably be not the man we've seen at the end and will probably gone mad.
Oct 11, 2018 8:14 AM

Oct 2012
Frankly, I hate him because that show was a boring waste of my time that started out fun and became incredibly stupid and boring. That show actually had an impact on my life at least as an anime watcher, made me really reconsider my goal to not drop much anime. When I look at picture of him and his stupid girlfriends, all I see is like 10 hours of my life I'll never get back
Oct 11, 2018 9:20 AM

May 2009
I've only read the very first book and seen the equivalent portion of the anime series, but I found him kinda at least attempting to be clever in the books, while in the anime series he came off as conceited and a bit full of himself.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 11, 2018 9:27 AM

Nov 2014
As far as self-insert MCs goes, I felt like Subaru was at least tolerable. Honestly was kinda surprised when I heard about the amount of hate he gets. Had a few small moments that slightly distinguished him from being too punchable or generic. That said, I still dropped Re:Zero after 4 episodes and can't really weigh in on that whole choosing Emilia fiasco.
Oct 11, 2018 9:37 AM

Jun 2014
I've never driven a Subaru, so I can't really answer your question.

Oct 11, 2018 9:38 AM

Dec 2017
damn, so many people expected something brilliant from subaru. didn't they show him as a usual fucking neet going to a convenience store and reading manga? he's like the most basic guy. i would really love to see you being put through the same shit and seeing your actions

apparently, most of the people would know what to do right away and wouldn't be confused of what the fuck is going on at all, right?

i sympathize with subaru. he was written pretty well, just an average neet going through death every time and loosing his mind in the process. what did people expect from his character? something like tom cruise from edge of tomorrow? smh
Oct 11, 2018 10:02 AM

Jul 2013
First and foremost, he is annoying. He screamed a lot and his voice is obnoxious to say the least.

He went from "there's nothing I can do" to "I have every answer to this" too conveniently. Instead of doing trial and error again and again and again until he succeeds, he tried and failed a couple of times, gave up and screamed at Rem, Rem encouraged him, and boom he got the solution.

Some moments he is smart, and then some moments he couldn't be any dumber. Most of the drama in the second half wouldn't happen if he could just calm down and talk like a reasonable person, but he had screamed at people because muh panic (and before someone say he's realistic, each loop lasts several days. A normal human being wouldn't be in extreme panic for more than an hour)

I don't understand the "deconstruction of self-insert protagonist" that people always bring up either. The wimpy and weak protagonist had been a thing for decades now, what's so groundbreaking about Subaru?

Did I mention he screamed a lot?
Oct 11, 2018 10:14 AM

May 2015
I dislike Subaru because he is presented as the underdog and powerless but he's the most powerful character in the story by convenience from the author. I dislike how he faces the three arc in the same way just on a bigger scale:
try -> fail -> cry -> act like a jerk -> waifu raises his morale -> become the hero

while ironically Re:Zero fans say that he's not typical hero despite him being so every time he progresses.

About Rem? meh, she has a nice backstory but otherwise forgettable. The reason Subaru can't chose her from the author's point of view because she is a boring character with not personality and identity created solely for being discarded. If Subaru chose Rem the show would become dull and boring because the lack drama and because Subaru wouldn't have anything else to strive for.

Also found her character inconsistent since in a loop she does what she does because he reeks of the witch but in other loops she gets close to him or even falls in love despite the scent of the witch. Seemed like a one time excuse to confuse the viewers because plot twists that didn't get properly developed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2018 10:19 AM

Oct 2017
I mean I do think he's an idiot, but I don't dislike or like him so I'm neutral.
Oct 11, 2018 10:22 AM

Dec 2013
I hate Subaru, yes, but I don't think he's a bad character. Sure, he started out as your basic self-insert isekai MC, but by the midpoint of the series when the show starts calling him out on some of his BS he becomes a fully fleshed out character that lashes out because of his uncertainties. That does not make him a good person, but it does make him way more interesting to watch than any other character in the show.

Fun fact: I feel the exact opposite about the fan favorite Rem. She is very much a good person, but that also makes her incredibly boring to me. It's like she's the personification of waifu bait. Subaru most definitely does not deserve her. Rem is such a doormat that he would walk all over her in a relationship... I cannot see how that would be healthy. A relationship cannot be built onto just one party constantly sacrificing herself. I would feel so bad for her.

And no, just because I think Subaru doesn't deserve Rem, I'm not a fan of Emilia. She's barely on-screen! I'm usually not a BL shipper, but out of the characters we have been introduced to, Julius would seriously (I swear I'm not joking) be the best love interest by faaaar. By the end of the series they clearly have begun to respect each other, have a good chemistry with some fun banter and most important of all, they can dare to call it out when the other is being unreasonable. Seriously, if he wasn't a guy they'd be on it already.

...But let's face it, that's not gonna happen because it's a LN aimed at guys. In that case, Emilia is the back-up-option I guess... Although I'm not really into her, at least she stood up to Subaru once, so they do have some chance of a healthy relationship. Incidentally, that scene of Subaru being an ass and Emilia finally snapping back at him is my favorite scene in the series lol. It's also the kind of scene that would never happen if Subaru was as bland as most self-insert MCs are.
NthDegreeOct 11, 2018 10:25 AM
Oct 11, 2018 10:25 AM
Sep 2018
Well he does die a million times to realize where he messed up which get pretty annoying as the show progresses
Profile views make me feel loved
Oct 11, 2018 10:27 AM
Nov 2017
I don't like him, but don't dislike him either. Instead of Subaru, I really hate all the 'handsome prince' in re:zero, especially the one that looks really close with Emilia
Oct 11, 2018 10:40 AM
Jun 2015
I have not watched the entire anime but I don't think the characters were necessarily the worst. The story and plot was boring and the fight scenes sucked.
Oct 11, 2018 10:45 AM

Dec 2017
I think I dislike the show more than I dislike Subaru.

I dunno about their cars though. I do see a lot of them around here though.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Oct 11, 2018 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
I like him.

He can be an annoying idiot but sometimes witty and charming too. At least he HAS an actual personality for fans to love/hate unlike 99% of male anime protagonists who are just blank slates with no defining traits other than being "nice", wimpy and indecisive.
Oct 11, 2018 10:49 AM

Aug 2018
I like him a bit, he has personality IMO. Not one of my fav characters but decent. Without the memes and dumb shit he sometimes do as a comic relief he is pretty realistic. Most people can't handle the truth and that is "most of us are cowards, selfish and not totally good people". Tho, he can be considered a pretty nice guy that went trough a lot of shit.

A classic sentence to describe him is: "Oh, he is such a pussy, if he knows he can revive why he fight so much?" or "He is such a duchebag, why he thinks he deserves atention, he is so dumb, he can't realize that they don't remember him doing that stuff". Would you cut yourself every day because you heal? NO, so why he should die like it's nothing? Btw, he revive but he isn't in control of that power. If you work hard for something you want to be acknowledged especially in extreme cases like his.

Resume, people doesn't like struggles they want to feel like the mc so they want to see all their ideals in him not the reality. That's why badass and underdog characters are so liked. As a plus, that is also why NTR is so hated, they feel like the mc so they feel betrayed.
Oct 11, 2018 10:51 AM

Feb 2018

Is your internet so bad that this post was sent a year to late ?
Oct 11, 2018 11:59 AM

May 2013
uninstallthegame said:
damn, so many people expected something brilliant from subaru. didn't they show him as a usual fucking neet going to a convenience store and reading manga? he's like the most basic guy. i would really love to see you being put through the same shit and seeing your actions

apparently, most of the people would know what to do right away and wouldn't be confused of what the fuck is going on at all, right?

i sympathize with subaru. he was written pretty well, just an average neet going through death every time and loosing his mind in the process. what did people expect from his character? something like tom cruise from edge of tomorrow? smh

Yeah, it boils down to pretty much this, lol
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 11, 2018 12:02 PM

Oct 2013
So are we talking about Subaru or Emilia?
Oct 11, 2018 12:30 PM

Apr 2018
He had his good moments and bad moments but overall, I didn't think he was interesting at all.

The female characters are the issue that I have with that show
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Apr 25, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.