Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2018 12:48 PM

Mar 2016
Fuck yeah, just like the beginning of the manga. I definitely liked the manga more, but the anime isn't doing that bad so far.
Apr 9, 2018 12:50 PM

Jul 2017
I was so excited for this anime. I am very dissapointed so far. The story looks like it could be fucking great but the cgi was god awful.
I will insert Yugioh into everything and you can't fucking stop me
Apr 9, 2018 12:55 PM

Apr 2015
ronie91 said:

I think they wanted to make the bear more menacing as much as they could. But it was really exaggerated. There are better ways to portray a dangerous CGI animal without having a dysfunctional texture.

But at least animal fights will not be a constant in the series lol

From the sound of it they wanted to replicate Kou Yoshinari's style from the likes of Little Witch Academia and Made in Abyss but they certainly took the wrong approach there and didn't consider the right composition for the scene. A bummer honestly.
FappaApr 9, 2018 1:02 PM
Apr 9, 2018 1:01 PM

Dec 2015
That bear was pretty terrible, and the fight between the wolf and the bear was even more terrible. Hopefully, there won't be any more animal vs animal fights in this anime.

Other than that, it was a decent first episode, nothing special.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 9, 2018 1:04 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, yes, the Tattoos remember me to the series of Prison Break!!! kekeke
Now, the mission is to find the prisoners and "take" their tattoos :/
Apr 9, 2018 1:09 PM

Jan 2011
I didn't read the manga but it's look good so far

well I guess the story will focus on the relation between Sugimoto and Asirpa more than finding Gold

I find Sugimoto reason to find the Gold a bit silly author could find a better reason than helping his friend wife

anyway it's seem fun anime I will switch to manga later

Apr 9, 2018 1:11 PM

Jul 2017
The bears looked fucking terrible. God help them.

Otherwise, a really solid first episode. A different, unique story and Sugimoto seems to be cool as well as Asirpa.

7/10 episode but this can easily get way better.
Apr 9, 2018 1:15 PM
Jul 2016
ronie91 said:

I think they wanted to make the bear more menacing as much as they could. But it was really exaggerated. There are better ways to portray a dangerous CGI animal without having a dysfunctional texture.

But at least animal fights will not be a constant in the series lol

From the sound of it they wanted to replicate Kou Yoshinari's style from the likes of Little Witch Academia and Made in Abyss but they certainly took the wrong approach there and didn't consider the right composition for the scene. A bummer honestly.
I also think. Although the rest of the animation as well as the background art really have been exemplary. If you manage to keep it that way, then it can become a good series.
Apr 9, 2018 1:17 PM
May 2015
This was quite awful. Such a disgrace.
Apr 9, 2018 1:18 PM

Nov 2015
Pretty intense start, liked Sugimoto's rage. Seems to have some powers…

I really like the story of the tattoos, reminds me of the series: prison break. It seems a simple plot: catching X prisoners and then fight the endboss, curious how it will unfold.
Apr 9, 2018 1:28 PM

Aug 2015
That CG though
Nevertheless an enjoyable premise and first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 1:29 PM

Sep 2016
Decent episode. The story seems to be interesting and the art seems to be OK. The only thing that was bad was the CG bears but I can overlook that.
Apr 9, 2018 1:29 PM

Jul 2017
Decent episode, however the CGI of the bear was trash. Looks like the manga is the better option
Apr 9, 2018 1:32 PM

Jan 2012
Oof! Well the weird cg fire had me concerned, but the cg bears looked absolutely horrendous. And Retar wasn't much better. That aside it wasn't a bad introductory episode and adaptation of the first two manga chapters. Still have some concerns regarding this adaptation though. Only 12 episodes for an epic series like this is always gonna be concerning. I just hope they adapt what they can in that time at a reasonable pace and don't do anything stupid like push for an anime-original ending or something but...guess we'll see.
Apr 9, 2018 1:35 PM

Sep 2015
I always see Golden Kamuy imagens in others young jump series, so I was expecting a little more...
I guess the lack of super powers/supernatural in the story's always make the action appeal a little more difficult.

Also obviously the bad cgi doesn't help..
Apr 9, 2018 1:36 PM

Aug 2013
Coming in blind with no knowledge of the manga at all, this was...surprisingly underwhelming for a pilot. Ignoring the CGI Bear and the animal fight, the premise is rather...idk for some reason it doesn't capture me like I was hoping it would. I'll probably stick with it to see where it goes but if I had to go off of this to see if I wanted to dive into its source and read it or something, I'd just skip over it. 3/5 for me.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 9, 2018 1:41 PM

Jun 2015
The animation was pretty bad regarding the CG sequences, but the overall show seems good, I'll be keeping up with it.
Apr 9, 2018 1:43 PM

Jun 2015
Both the CG bear and the CG wolf aren't actually all that bad looking. The problem with the bear is that he is rendered way too realistically which makes him clash with literally everything else on the screen. If I had to guess I'd say they just took some stock 3D models because they're one-offs anyway. The wolf on the other hand has a cell-shading look that... actually looks pretty decent, when you pause the video.

The big problem with both of them is that the animation is kinda floaty and badly integrated. Also the wolf's animation obviously has a higher framerate then everyting else, even the bear for some reason. All that combined makes the scene look like a disjointed mess.

As for the story, it actually sounds pretty interesting so I'll stick with it for now.
NidotoNaiApr 9, 2018 1:48 PM
Apr 9, 2018 1:47 PM
Nov 2016
I have mixed feelings about this episode. I enjoyed it, the characters were pretty well animated and the story-telling is top notch(that's expected because the manga is awesome) they did adapt till Chapter 2 which surprised me because the first chapter was pretty long in the manga but even then, this adaptation cut very little out.

They did censor some things but they didn't censor the skinning scenes, which surprised me but I am Happy that they didn't censor it.

The CGI on Retar and the Bear was good but it just felt sooooo out of place. The vocie actors did an awesome job and the OST was pretty good. I had my reservations about this particular studio adapting a series which has the potential to be good, but now, I am fairly impressed.
Apr 9, 2018 1:57 PM

Nov 2012
Very promising start,I haven't read the manga but this episode already has me looking forward to next episode.

The CGI bear looked pretty funny at first,especially here

but once it got to attacking it seemed more threatening.Idk I don't see it as a big issue but that's just me since I don't have a problem with CGI normally.
Apr 9, 2018 2:03 PM
Jun 2016
My boi Sugimoto! Love his voice. Asirpa looks good.
CGI aside, I liked this episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Apr 9, 2018 2:19 PM

Sep 2015
Holy Hell, YES! This is turning out to be absolutely everything I wanted it to be =w=. The episode already STARTED with Sugimoto channeling his inner Tanya... and somehow, it only went up from there. What kind of madman would decide to try punching a fking brown bear in the face? The kind of madman that's almost certain to be my favorite MC of this season, that's who!

Also, that was some really fking good CG for the bears and the wolf, holy shit O.o. Geno Studio really fking fast-traveled down the road of animation, going from 'ech' to 'O wow' in just a bit over a season.

This is definitely giving Megalo Box serious competition when it comes to being the action anime of this season for me already... God, I'm more than satisfied with this so far =w=
Apr 9, 2018 2:34 PM

Mar 2014
This was pretty well adapted. I'm a bit sad that the bears had to die lol but I guess it's kill or be killed here. Can't wait to see Yoshitake animated too!
Apr 9, 2018 2:39 PM
Jul 2013
Weird CGI aside, I find the ending song pretty unfitting.
I have a feeling I've already seen a character similar to Asirpa somewhere, that young female orphan skilled fighter, telling others what to do type. The only one that springs to mind now is Madlax, but that's not it. As somebody said earlier, I would love to see the series get 24 eps, cause it will probably be hard to exploit the story in just 12.
Apr 9, 2018 2:40 PM
Jul 2014
Only time will tell if the curse of the Young Jump adaptations will continue or not. I really hope the production values don't hold the show back too much. Considering the studio, it was probably a good thing after all that this was confirmed for 12 episodes. Story wise it's very intriguing and the pacing seemed to be very good as well. Hopefully they keep it that way and don't start skipping/rushing stuff.
Apr 9, 2018 2:42 PM

Sep 2016
is that the legendary Kaiji's narrator in the preview?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 9, 2018 2:52 PM

Apr 2011
that was like the weirdest bear in anime history
Apr 9, 2018 2:53 PM

Nov 2016
This is by far one of the interesting first episodes this season. Episode starts straight into action with some gore. The story about the gold is also unique and mysterious. The interaction between the characters works perfectly. The danger of the wild was also a cool addition to the episode. Finally, the animation was good except of some CGI used.
Apr 9, 2018 3:00 PM
Feb 2018
Woah, I loved the episode (the bears though...).
I'll probably start reading the manga, I can't wait!
Apr 9, 2018 3:08 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I expected this to be better considering the hype around it. Regardless, I thought it was alright.

The CGI bear was really off putting, then the wolf was hand drawn, then went to CGI. I don't mind CGI when it's done right, but this was pretty bad.

I do like the idea of a treasure hunt though, I think that it's fairly unique. I'm liking the designs of the characters too. The premise has me interested, that's for sure, but overall I thought this was OK at best.
Apr 9, 2018 3:26 PM
Aug 2011
Oh I like their voices.
I'm not even going to compare this to the source because that would be doing the manga a great disservice. Not even going to bitch about the 12 ep count unlike Piano no Mori because this one is still on-going. If anything it'll be interesting to see how they plan to wrap this story up.
I'm just going to watch for Asirpa and all my other stupid boys. :3

That bear i'm getting UKOCANUPKOR flashbacks, but yeah those bears. WHAT.
Apr 9, 2018 3:32 PM
Oct 2012
I thought it was pretty good. It doesn't have any pacing issues for one which a lot of adaptions seem to have.
They made a mistake choosing that style of cgi for the bear lol. If they tried making it look 2D it would be better, even if it looks a little cheap. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the show so it ends up distracting.

I like the voice acting, can't wait for the funny moments.
Apr 9, 2018 3:37 PM

Jun 2014
Well aside from the fucking horrendous CGI animals, I liked this episode. The story seems pretty interesting so I'm going to enjoy this ride. It sucks that it's only 12 episodes, especially since the premise kind of reminds me of One Piece. A story like that will obviously not be fully adapted in one cour (then again that would probably also be the case even if it was, let's say, 25 episodes), so hopefully this gets more seasons later on (but let's just focus on this one for right now).

GangsterCat said:
is that the legendary Kaiji's narrator in the preview?

Yep, there's no mistaking it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 9, 2018 3:42 PM

Sep 2011
Weird bear CG aside... this was really interesting :o I'm totally on-board for this, and probably gonna have to do a nice wiki-dive when I get the chance. Is it weird that I love when my media makes me want to learn stuff?
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 9, 2018 3:48 PM

May 2015
one of the few new shows this season I've actually liked so far...but yeah that bear lol
Apr 9, 2018 3:49 PM

Apr 2007
matheoo41 said:
Weird CGI aside, I find the ending song pretty unfitting.
I have a feeling I've already seen a character similar to Asirpa somewhere, that young female orphan skilled fighter, telling others what to do type. The only one that springs to mind now is Madlax, but that's not it. As somebody said earlier, I would love to see the series get 24 eps, cause it will probably be hard to exploit the story in just 12.

Are you thinking of her?
https://myanimelist.net/character/65445/Qiang_Lei

Good first episode.
Apr 9, 2018 3:56 PM

Feb 2016
Holy shit, I've never seen such a terrible bear like that, the CGI was really awful.

That aside, the story is interesting, if they stop using CGI like that, this will be a good anime.

no, seriously, I don't understand, why making CGI bear when they have a decent 2d animation? not even the Heralds from Kokkoku looked this bad.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 9, 2018 4:03 PM

Mar 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
code73 said:
huh? Alternative history?, ever heard of Russo - japanese war?

Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.

How about being outnumbered 132 to 1 and still winning? Or 150+ to 1? Look up Alvin York and Lachhiman Gurung, who received the Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross, respectively.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 9, 2018 4:03 PM

May 2015
It was great and all for a first episode, but the CGI of the bear in particular was too distracting.... I've seen a lot of CGI, but this ones takes a whole new level of hideous. It felt like they pasted a real life bear in a cartoon. Didn't blend with the 2D animation, at all.

But um, aside from that, looking forward to more.

Apr 9, 2018 4:04 PM

Mar 2015
Great first episode! Its going to seriously trigger PETA and that alone is enough for a 5/5 from me.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 9, 2018 4:20 PM

Dec 2017
i love the first episode already, straight to the action. and they’re put the bloody scene blunt enough. Sugimoto personality is pretty good, like very serious and intimidating but can be entertaining and nice as well, i guess living as a soldier who lives in the harsh environment after the war is pretty rough. and his promise with his friend is what makes me interested, they are such a bro for taking care his wife, and keep his promise.

the artstyle is fine, they seems didnt want to take the risk with the fireplace, it’s very realistic it’s almost unsettling. well it’s Geno Studio, a fairly new studio. giving such a great manga to a fairly new studio is already questionable itself, but they seems do fine with Kokkoku and this episode

as for the bear, well, i watched full 2 season of Berserk so this kind of CG is not enough to make me hate it. i don’t even care as long as they not using it excessively

can’t wait for the next episode
Apr 9, 2018 4:52 PM

Apr 2016
it was a very nice first episode, I'll definitely be continuing with it!
the animation wasn't great, but thats something I can overlook because of how interesting it was.
Apr 9, 2018 5:00 PM

Dec 2015
It may have been just me, looking at the other comments it is, but I really didn't like this first episode. I was looking forward to reading the manga too since a lot of people recommended it to me -_-

The obvious thing to say is that I didn't like the bear just like everybody else. Though the wolf and the fireplace were also pretty bad in my opinion. The artstyle they're going with is also a little clanky.
Besides that, the conversation between Sugimoto and Asirpa seemed dumb to me.
They have one conversation and suddenly Sugimoto completely trusts Asirpa and only wants a small part of the treasure. (That's all I remember from that scene, excuse me if I'm wrong)
(Me nitpicking) Btw I don't know much about this show, I haven't seen the manga so I don't really know what's going on, but how can Asirpa (she doesn't really look strong or anything) pull Sugimoto from under that brown bear? It was a really big one and is probably at least 700kg's. She's also half the size of Sugimoto. She could be just like Konayuki from Katanagatari, who knows.

Still going to watch a few more episodes though.
18-07-19

31-08-20
Apr 9, 2018 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty underwhelming/boring first episode, find the first chapter of the manga to be more enjoyable than the first episode.
Apr 9, 2018 5:41 PM

Aug 2016
the graphics disappointed me i expected it to be more better but it ended up meh (CGI in particular).

Daniel_Naumov said:
Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.

unrealistic combat does NOT mean it's alternative history, dude.
Apr 9, 2018 5:55 PM
Sep 2016
I was reading its manga a few months ago and I found it really catchy
Apr 9, 2018 6:04 PM

Oct 2013
Intense from the get-go. The historical setting is right up my alley, also with the placing of the story in Hokkaido and including Ainu lore. Hooked me with the atmosphere from already.
Apr 9, 2018 6:14 PM
Jul 2014
SeoRunge said:
One of the few anime where I've read the manga first.
I was so afraid I wasn't going to like it since the studio did Kokukku but...
It's ok. Apart from the awful cgi, it's ok.

I'm probably going to read some chapters again along the way.

Interested to hear about anime-only viewers!!
Kokukoku was good.
Apr 9, 2018 6:15 PM
Jul 2014
YorukaWaifu said:
Meh, this is as boring as I thought it was going to be. Drop.
If you're gonna have negative thoughts from the beginning, then it's gonna stay negative for you. Peace.
Apr 9, 2018 6:19 PM

Feb 2012
Holy fuck when he turned to his best friend and he was missing all his limbs. Good first episode. Interesting story and a main character I really like so far. Looking forward to see how this one turns out. Like everyone mentioned already that CG bear looked terrible lol.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2018

91 by XxEMOxKONATAxX »»
Apr 15, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

41 by elviskocho1023 »»
Mar 24, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

24 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 9 Discussion

17 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 8 Discussion

19 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 2:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.