Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 14, 2017 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm so glad this show is back. The art style remains the same as I remember from many years ago. The OP song is alright, kinda catchy.

Really nice to see Ai back again and she's still the same as I remember. The case itself involves bullying and it pretty much exposes human emotions. I find the episode's drama to be well done and trust being tested. Nice to see Kikuri back too! This episode felt really nostologic seeing these characters return. Good episode.

Stark700Jul 14, 2017 10:05 AM
Jul 14, 2017 9:16 AM

Jun 2013
Finally! I've been waiting for this. Enma Ai and the gang is back :)

That bully girl got what she deserves.

Ippen, shinde miru?
Kitan~!
Jul 14, 2017 10:03 AM

Nov 2009
Please don't tell me Netflix licensed this. I wanna watch this show now and not long after the season is over.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 14, 2017 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
CG said:
Please don't tell me Netflix licensed this. I wanna watch this show now and not long after the season is over.

Crunchyroll has it and they release it on time weekly.
Jul 14, 2017 10:15 AM

Jan 2015
I'm glad this is still great as always
Jul 14, 2017 10:25 AM

Jun 2009
I waited for this! It's still great, but I need to rewatch previous seasons, for even better experience.
Opening is great, I listened to it before and I wasn't pleased with it, but it's good after all, at least with animation.
Jul 14, 2017 10:32 AM

Aug 2015
An amazing first episode. I knew that the bully can't be trusted! I like how the victim handles her situation by not giving a f*ck, plus I like the little twist they put before the candle lits up. OP and ED theme is catchy (Ai looks pretty as always, especially un the ED sequence)..

Hence, my rating for the first episode is A.

p/s: I am anticipating the long, funny commentary made by a commenter on Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae episodes. I hope they are watching this series as well.
Peridot is my favorite Crystal Gem.
Jul 14, 2017 10:52 AM
Jul 2017
[Spoilers]I don't understand this episode ending,who is the real culprit that show the message?
Jul 14, 2017 10:55 AM

May 2008
vicexxv said:

Ippen, shinde miru?

Actually... she is guiltless. (After they became friend with the "main character"..)
Jul 14, 2017 11:05 AM

May 2008
Uryuu_Ishida said:

Well:
Jul 14, 2017 11:58 AM

Jun 2017
That was a very strong start for the new season. It was perfect, old style in HD, same interesting cases with misunderstandings. I am kinda curious about the new character as well.

It also taught a life lesson about how you should really research your shit when you send someone to hell lol. Alright, the girl wasn't totally innocent but she tried to atone so I don't think she deserved it, also the way they got rid of her was kinda brutal.
Jul 14, 2017 12:43 PM
Mar 2010
Art is good as ever, the story was predictable for people, used with the anime, but it was still good overall. What bugs me is the animation. For a six-episode anniversary anime I expected something better. The OP and ED were cheap, consisted of stills and pant shots. The animation is way inferior to the old seasons, although the latter were almost 5 times longer. Lazy DEEN...Also the ending was off-putting for me, nothing like the somber Enma songs I am used to, way too mellow and cheerful. Something is missing. Hope it grows on me and I hope the animation gets better. The character designs, however are crisp, clean and indeed beautiful.
Jul 14, 2017 12:53 PM

May 2012
So, this not a recap episode ?

I heard that it will have 6 recap episodes and 6 new episodes
Jul 14, 2017 12:54 PM
Mar 2010
This was new, the next one will be as well.
Jul 14, 2017 1:46 PM

Oct 2016
Im not going to lie. I was kinda uneasy about them bringing Hell Girl back and then watching this episode, I was going on about how predictable it was.. Until the twist at the end. Even so, despite the initial predictability - I was still highly invested because Hell Girl just tends to do that no matter what's happening. I wanted to know how it would end even though I knew there was a 90% chance it would end the way i expected it to. Again, except for when they showed the twist which changed my whole opinion about this episode. I dont like the new entity little girl that's following Ai around right now. I don't feel like she's going to be necessary but we'll see in the future episodes. Didn't care much for the opening song, honestly but I hope I'll get used to it. Good episode overall. The Hell sequence was disturbing. Kids are mean lol
Jul 14, 2017 1:58 PM

Dec 2015
FINALLY THE LEGENDARY HELL GIRL IS BACK!!!
this is one of my favorite anime everrrr!! it brings so many of my childhood memories back and it makes me feel very nostalgic!! i missed enma ai and her crew a lotttt and seeing them back makes me very very happy. episode one was great and i'm so looking forward to the next one, too bad this season is just going to be 12 episodes but that means the main story is going to start early unlike the previous seasons which is better. anyways i'm really really happy that our beloved beautiful jigoku shoujo is back!
Jul 14, 2017 2:02 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
i am happy to this return!!!
The first episode was nice, very nice when we can enjoy with the bullying in the high school with a tragic end, with a great plot spin, and another plot spin in the last seconds!!!!
Was a very actual episode!!!
Who is the mistery young girl appears a twice, train and near river? :/ This is the misterious of this season supose!!!
Jul 14, 2017 2:21 PM

Oct 2014
finally hell girl is back! I loved this episode. Even though she send the wrong person to hell she still deserves it so it's okay.
and Kikuri is back too I missed her. I missed everything about this show the only bad thing about this season is 6 recap episodes. I hate recaps.
Jul 14, 2017 2:45 PM

Jun 2017
Cnon said:
finally hell girl is back! I loved this episode. Even though she send the wrong person to hell she still deserves it so it's okay.
and Kikuri is back too I missed her. I missed everything about this show the only bad thing about this season is 6 recap episodes. I hate recaps.

Hey, at least it will be remade HD recaps.
Jul 14, 2017 2:52 PM

Oct 2014
MomoSinX said:
Cnon said:

Hey, at least it will be remade HD recaps.

yeah but regardless they're still recaps
Jul 14, 2017 3:08 PM
Jun 2016
I loved this episode alot, it was dark but very enjoyable. Now to go watch the other seasons.
Jul 14, 2017 3:43 PM
Jul 2016
Jigoku Shoujo is back!!! HELL yes!!!

Opening and ending songs are okay, nothing too special.

I loved seeing Ai and the team back together. Kikuri making me laugh as always with her silly antics, poor Warowaro still getting bossed around, Wanyuudou... got his transformation sequence fucked up (I really wanted to see him pull his scarf back, maybe i am being extremely nitpicky here) AND of course, Ichimoku Ren and Honne Onna being sexy.

Don't really know about the new girl, not like she did much in this episode anyways...

The torture sequence was enjoyable, and i really liked the new Ippen shinde miru scene with spider webs and butterflies.

All in all, good first episode, typical Jigoku Shoujo really, greatly exaggerating the situation but delivering a good story nonetheless.
MouloxasJul 31, 2017 5:51 AM
Jul 14, 2017 4:14 PM
Apr 2011
This episode wonderfully re-establishes the core of the series, that Hell Girl is not about justice, it is about vengeance. Whether you are guilty or innocent, you will be judged and sent to Hell. The reason why I have loved this series so is because of the moral ambiguity that surrounds it and the fact that life is exactly like that, good people die all the time and evil people run free. Season 3 pissed me off because of how the new girl brought her personal feelings into it, causing the feel of the series to change, but I am looking forward to this season now.
Jul 14, 2017 4:30 PM

Sep 2011
MikazukiRanbu said:
Im not going to lie. I was kinda uneasy about them bringing Hell Girl back and then watching this episode, I was going on about how predictable it was.. Until the twist at the end. Even so, despite the initial predictability - I was still highly invested because Hell Girl just tends to do that no matter what's happening. I wanted to know how it would end even though I knew there was a 90% chance it would end the way i expected it to. Again, except for when they showed the twist which changed my whole opinion about this episode. I dont like the new entity little girl that's following Ai around right now. I don't feel like she's going to be necessary but we'll see in the future episodes. Didn't care much for the opening song, honestly but I hope I'll get used to it. Good episode overall. The Hell sequence was disturbing. Kids are mean lol

That is this entire series in a nutshell. The series is episodic, but every episode is the same, but every episode is different, but there is also an overarching story. It is more of the same, and that pleases me to no end.

This series has had quite a few unpredictable endings. This one was particularly gut-wrenching from every possible angle. I'm still a tad confused about
Jul 14, 2017 4:52 PM

Aug 2014
I really love this anime but it makes me angry af sometimes.. but its really amazing

Jul 14, 2017 4:55 PM

Jun 2017
trannon1 said:
This episode wonderfully re-establishes the core of the series, that Hell Girl is not about justice, it is about vengeance. Whether you are guilty or innocent, you will be judged and sent to Hell. The reason why I have loved this series so is because of the moral ambiguity that surrounds it and the fact that life is exactly like that, good people die all the time and evil people run free. Season 3 pissed me off because of how the new girl brought her personal feelings into it, causing the feel of the series to change, but I am looking forward to this season now.

I actually liked the new girl but then she fucked up her first offical job lol. She had a sad backstory but of course Ai decided to save her by taking up the role again.
Jul 14, 2017 5:21 PM

Jun 2016
I'm still nervous, but I'm glad it's back. I don't know who the new girl is, but at least she's showing herself now and seems to be fully against what happened....everyone is at first, so I'm hoping that she actually provides a proper challenge to Emna Ai.

As for the problem of the week, even though we got a twist at the end Eve still deserved it. Sure she wasn't responsible for the spread of everything in the second half, she was responsible for making everyone turn against the MC and bully her. I liked that Eve tried to fix things, but it was too little too late.

Shoot, my hope are increasing now. Hopefully this is good.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jul 14, 2017 5:21 PM

Jul 2015
vicexxv said:

Ippen, shinde miru?

Actually not. I think her venegance was misguided, because that other guy most likely revealed everything to her class. And that girl, while she indeed started bullying, realized her mistake, and was trying to fix it.
Similar scenarios were common in previous seasons, especially 3rd.

Jul 14, 2017 6:29 PM

Oct 2011
hell girl is back yes.
That ending omfg
Jul 14, 2017 8:12 PM

May 2012
Mah girl Ai and the crew are back.

Pretty good first episode, kinda expected outcome once Yukawa introduced the group chat with Knight also in there.
Still, even though Yukawa started it, I don't feel she deserved that extreme a punishment. At least she tried to right her wrong, too bad we had an asshole in the group though.

I'm really digging the OP and ED too.

But anyway, cool too see it back again. Wonder what's up with the little girl and her connection with Ai.

Jul 14, 2017 9:07 PM

Oct 2016
Shirasho said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

That is this entire series in a nutshell. The series is episodic, but every episode is the same, but every episode is different, but there is also an overarching story. It is more of the same, and that pleases me to no end.

This series has had quite a few unpredictable endings. This one was particularly gut-wrenching from every possible angle. I'm still a tad confused about

Yeah, I know. I've pretty much watched every episode of hell girl as its one of my favorite anime series and I do get a bit annoyed when I see how usually the peeps are screwed no matter if they were good or not. ( This girl definite!y wasnt completely innocent but you get me ).
Jul 14, 2017 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
ma girl ai back at it again. first time I hear about a half recap/half new content anime though.
removed-userJul 14, 2017 9:20 PM
Jul 14, 2017 9:29 PM

May 2014
I'm just so happy to hear Noto Mamiko as Enma Ai once again!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2017 9:37 PM

Aug 2008
It's back!!! Ippen, shinde miru?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 14, 2017 11:12 PM
Jul 2010
If there are really going to be six recap episodes, than this is not that good of the start. I would say more or less predictable high school bullying episode that was already done in the show. I really hoped that there will be main arc of 6 episodes and then 6 separate episodic stories (not recaps). They can do better stories, and i hope they will.

OP is disappointing too, i always remember the first one and it will remain my favorite. They overstepped with nakedness this time and that is even censored in crunchyroll's version by making the images of Ai much much brighter.
Jul 14, 2017 11:13 PM

May 2015
Ah Hell Girl, just how I remembered it. Nice to see Ai and the team back again. While its formula is rather repetitive, seeing it as it was done in the past makes this episode refreshing. I almost missed the mark too, so I went back to spot it in case you guys missed it:

This will be a good watch for the summer season. A short story of vengeance each week to take a break from other anime. There is one thing that I do question though...who left the Laptop on her desk?
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:46 AM
Jul 14, 2017 11:49 PM
Mar 2016
the HD is so refreshing, and it looks like the plot will build earlier in the season instead of the last few episodes with that green eyed kid and everything. another person trying to stop jigoku shoujo? tsk tsk
Jul 14, 2017 11:54 PM

Jul 2013
WOW its 2017 and Deen managed to make the character, fluidity and animation like this was 2005. People may disagree as saying its nostalgic, but Deen should at least make it fluid, even Konosuba is more fluid than this. Sasuga Deen, for making a new low.

So its just continuous mocking in a group message, without real bullying like putting her face in the toilet or something. For a jigoko shoujo's first episode, this is damn weak
Jul 15, 2017 1:02 AM
Nov 2015
Ganbare Deen!!!

Looking forward to Hoozuki this fall.
Jul 15, 2017 1:53 AM

Jan 2008
It's so fucking good to be home.

Mamiko Noto is a goddess (as always), the new OP is awesome, and the ED is beautiful as usual.
Jul 15, 2017 2:39 AM

Sep 2016
oh well Enma Ai is is finally back ^^

Jul 15, 2017 5:05 AM

May 2015
Code_Lies said:
WOW its 2017 and Deen managed to make the character, fluidity and animation like this was 2005. People may disagree as saying its nostalgic, but Deen should at least make it fluid, even Konosuba is more fluid than this. Sasuga Deen, for making a new low.

So its just continuous mocking in a group message, without real bullying like putting her face in the toilet or something. For a jigoko shoujo's first episode, this is damn weak

I agree with you on the animation, even Saiyuuki, an old series that got a sequel this season has better animation.

Cyber bullying can be just as bad physical, there have been cases where the victims commit suicide over it. So, it wasn't "just mocking" she was completely ostracized by her peer group.
Jul 15, 2017 5:25 AM

Jul 2014
It's been a while, but it's really good to see this show is back and that it's still as brutal as ever, with the usual harsh punishment and that cruel revelation that maybe the bully girl wasn't the one who revealed the secret chat to the class at the end. Definitely the best premiere of the season up to this point, although it will be disappointing to have some recaps later on (although considering how long it has been since I watched the other seasons, they might feel like new episodes when they arrive).

Excellent OP and ED as well.
Jul 15, 2017 5:53 AM

Jun 2016

Code_Lies said:

Bullying doesn't need to be physical for it to be bullying. She's ostracized and told repeatedly that she's horrible and that bad things should happen to her. Plus they threatened, even if they could have been just saying things to get a rise from her, that someone should kill her via Hell Girl. It's not putting her head in a toilet, but cyber bullying and being ostracized like that is unfortunately a lot more normal in this day and age.

All this just because she's apologizes when someone bumps into her. That sort it stuff is normal in Canada. But we do say sorry for everything.

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jul 15, 2017 6:24 AM

Aug 2014
a great episode , i loved it but the ending doesn't seem to fit at least for now
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jul 15, 2017 10:27 AM

Jul 2013
MonoJuMal said:

Code_Lies said:

Bullying doesn't need to be physical for it to be bullying. She's ostracized and told repeatedly that she's horrible and that bad things should happen to her. Plus they threatened, even if they could have been just saying things to get a rise from her, that someone should kill her via Hell Girl. It's not putting her head in a toilet, but cyber bullying and being ostracized like that is unfortunately a lot more normal in this day and age.

All this just because she's apologizes when someone bumps into her. That sort it stuff is normal in Canada. But we do say sorry for everything.

Of course bullying is a bad thing, which includes cyber bullying. But what I'm saying is, cyber bullying like this as a plot is damn weak for jigoko shoujo.

Considering they were a lot of dark stuffs in previous seasons of jigoko shoujo, starting a new season after almost a 10 year gap with an episode of this plot is pretty damn weak.

And her reasoning is much weaker. I mean, she just apologized too much and that's the spark that made them bully her? Yeah, pretty stupid
Its pretty normal to apologize for everything like that (especially in canada lol)
Jul 15, 2017 10:48 AM

Aug 2014
This show was needed in a world of negativity and struggle.
Beautiful stories of grave social events with great morale
I am so glad she got her flower theme kimono back
Jul 15, 2017 11:20 AM

Jan 2012
Teenagers are terrible. Mayama really shouldn't have read all the chats. What's the point. Her classmates are all terrible.
Jul 15, 2017 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
i never liked the premise of this story

if someone is trying to kill you then you have no right to self-defend ? For example in ep 2 of the first season the girl would die if she did not use the contract. And now she has to go to hell even tho she did nothing wrong. Are you telling me that the only way to get to heaven is to be passive your whole life ?

Also can this story ever get an ending ? Ai is still being forced to work for the devil or something like that right ?
Jul 15, 2017 12:10 PM
Jan 2017
wah it was so satisfying how can she thinks that she will be forgiven even she started the bully ai no yatte iru koto konpon teki ni tadashi tte omottoru ha
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

67 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 20, 2023 11:24 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

89 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 20, 2023 5:12 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

68 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

124 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 1:06 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2017

45 by Fatephile »»
Aug 14, 2023 12:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.