Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 18, 2017 8:42 PM

Apr 2010
not even a glimpse of the sisters in the final episode?? wth?! It's a good final episode but not including the sisters just makes me feel somewhat incomplete.. why?!
Mar 18, 2017 8:53 PM

Mar 2016
To people complaining about not having Kawamoto sisters:

Um, you guy do realize that the story is about Rei's character development and interaction with others, right? The Kawamoto sisters are just some of the many people that are involved in Rei's story
No seriously.
Mar 18, 2017 9:26 PM

Dec 2016
I wish they would have ended with the Western Sun chapter instead of Fighter. It would have been a much better ending IMO -
there was a great sense of closure in Western Sun and it kind of featured the three sisters......
I had been kinda looking forward to that as the series finale ~~

but maybe we'll get that chapter in fall =)
-- ----- / -
s:mk:n
Mar 18, 2017 10:02 PM

Aug 2013
I can't say it hit me as hard as 21 or some of the prior episodes, but it was a satisfying send-off nonetheless!

Now, to wait for six months... I'm going to miss this show.
Mar 18, 2017 11:16 PM

Jun 2013
Need to see this Kyouko plot line resolved...that remains the most interesting part of this story to me.
Mar 19, 2017 1:44 AM

May 2013
from I remember, the manga version has more heavy gloomy atmosphere that almost hard to read, but shaft adapting this more easily to watch without leaving the gloomy part.

nice finale. fighter chapter is one of chapters that I'm really liked.
Mar 19, 2017 2:24 AM

Jul 2014
While this didn't quite end how I had expected, I can't really complain too much about this as a final episode. After all, it provided closure to finish off this season while also leaving things wide open for the second season in October.

Overall, while this show definitely had a few dud episodes, it was still a very enjoyable ride that I'm eager to see more of, so October can't come soon enough.

9/10
Mar 19, 2017 3:59 AM

Mar 2016
And once again, an amazing episode. Loved the finale :D Rei starting a new term. It was hilarious and sad at the same time how he was imagining talking to the new students. LOL'd when they started calling Shogi an old man's game and Rei left the class xD Hayashida once again proving to be the best teacher anyone could have ^_^ Kinda funny how he ruined that nice moment tho haha xD

2nd part was just as good. Rei really had a tough life. Was nice to see him overcome that ^_^ Almost teared up in that scene about his lifeline ticket.
Kinda wish we got see the sisters tho but I guess it's fine.

Sad to see this series end but I'm glad we got an announcement for S2. Great news :D
This has been an amazing series from the very beginning. Was considering reading the manga but since we've got a S2 announcement, I'll wait xD
10/10
RyunuosukeMar 19, 2017 4:04 AM

Mar 19, 2017 4:19 AM

Mar 2015
Loved this show, can't wait for the 2nd season. Solid manga adaption too. 9/10 at least, pondering whether to give it a 10...
Mar 19, 2017 5:14 AM

Feb 2014
A nice final episode to wrap up this series.

Although it lacked the Kawamoto sisters, the episode did a fine job in showing how far Kiriyama has come as a person. Thanks to his excellent teacher, Hayashida, he's now part of the Shogi Science club.

The second half was simply titled 'fighter' and it showed how Kiriyama went through on a class trip in grade school, as well as his early budding career as a shogi player, with his ticket being able to play different variety of opponents across the table, so that he wouldn't be alone.

Then they played Bump of Chicken's Fighter song and it wrapped up the whole episode perfectly. =)

Overall, March Comes In Like A Lion was simply superb. From the warm and inviting Kawamoto sisters to the more darker characters like Gotou and Kyouko, the vast majority of the cast were well written and made each story arc engaging and interesting.

Shaft did a wonderful job with the pastel coloured visuals and also did a very good job on the animation front too. Soundtrack was also great and so is both OP and ED songs as well.

9/10 is my final score and I'm really happy that there is a second season coming later in October. Looking forward to it! =D
Mar 19, 2017 5:30 AM

Sep 2015
As a finale I found this slightly unsatisfying. Barely any time was spent with characters other than Kiriyama and the teacher. As a layover to another season I found it much more reasonable. Future events are set up, we see Rei is redoing a school year. And he and Nikaidou continue to be rivals. He's better suited but they're both trying to move up soon. Plus Rei and sensei start a shogi club to help Rei make friends. I don't know this was an episode very full of possibility. It didn't feel like a goodbye and I hope it's not. I would easily watch another series of this.

The second half of the episode felt particularly frustrating for anyone looking for a sense of finality. It was mostly a flashback and a flashback that didn't add very much to our understanding of Rei. I did like the explanation they gave for why he liked shogi. As someone who was always rejected at school, shogi competitions were the one place other people had to accept him. I get what they were going for and I thought it was cool. Just wish it hadn't taken up most of the final episode. All in all I give this series a 9/10. I didn't always get the humor and it occasionally was a little too melodramatic to me. But it had typically fantastic Shaft animation and music. And it told an emotionally engaging and humorous story that depicted playing shogi in interesting and even exciting ways. Big fan of this one, really hope we get more.
Mar 19, 2017 5:43 AM

Mar 2017
It was amazing episode and I'm waiting for 2nd season in the next fall
Mar 19, 2017 6:10 AM

Dec 2013
This is one show that definitely deserves the second season, so I'm so glad that they announced it.

Though to be fair the way then ended this on the Shogi Galaxy Express, that in itself could have also been considered a decent ending to the show in itself. Love the fact that Rei finally realizes and acknowledges that he isn't alone in the world, and that there are plenty of people along with him in his walk through life.

Again, I'm so glad season 2's already been announced. Cannot wait for more Momo chan!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 19, 2017 7:18 AM

Aug 2010
I find the strongest point of the series the interaction between Rei and the sisters. Also the conflict with Kyoko. The show started out as the best of the season but wasn't too fond of the second half.

Overall a 7/10.
Mar 19, 2017 7:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was an odd way to end the season? No family stuff?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 19, 2017 7:43 AM

May 2009
U1111 said:
x3mslayer said:
Good show. Meek final episode. Hoping for second season!

Already announced, Fall 2017.

Thanks for the info. I realized soon after writing my comment, didn't wanna bother editing it xD It expresses my wishes for it.
Mar 19, 2017 8:37 AM

Jul 2011
Give that teacher a medal ffs! he's the only one keeping Rei's school life bearable and now even enjoyable. I really love him, best teacher ever.
Missed the sisters in this last chapter, btw :C

Now the question is, read the manga or wait for the second season? aaah this choice is always hard for me.
Mar 19, 2017 9:19 AM

Feb 2014
-Ronin said:
Give that teacher a medal ffs! he's the only one keeping Rei's school life bearable and now even enjoyable. I really love him, best teacher ever.
Missed the sisters in this last chapter, btw :C

Now the question is, read the manga or wait for the second season? aaah this choice is always hard for me.

Same here. Hashida-sensei makes it worth the watch.
Can't wait for season 2!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 19, 2017 9:32 AM
Mar 2015
It was wonderful to see the Galactic Express from Bump of Chicken's 3 Gatsu no Lion video used in the end It really showed how Rei now sees the Shogi community with the Meijin now occupying the seat beside him that no one else would sit in Also we finally get an explanation of the constant flashback in the manga that we saw whenever Rei remembered being bullied
Mar 19, 2017 11:32 AM

Aug 2010
Don't worry about the sisters not being in the last episode for this season, Hina has a big arc upcoming.
Mar 19, 2017 12:18 PM

May 2015
I prefer first half of this show with Rei and sisters interactions. The ending was fine I guess.

For me 7/10.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 19, 2017 1:10 PM

Oct 2011
so happy season 2 is coming.
Mar 19, 2017 1:18 PM

Jun 2015
I'm happy last episode was about Rei, and about Rei and his relationship with shogi and how it connected him with people. It's all I was asking for this one and is coherent as a closure.

As someone already mentioned in this thread, this show wasn't about Kyouko nor about the sisters. It's Rei's path and all the kinds of people he encounters in his way. Sure, you can have cats talking and a rather-long-scene about sweet-making, but that's not what this show is mainly about.

I did think at first that the sisters and how they "heal" Rei was going to be way more central, but I'm happy it turned out to be more complex than that, with not even their apparent pink existance being free of grey backgrounds.
Mar 19, 2017 1:21 PM
Oct 2014
Stark700 said:

Also season 2 announced!

Woooooo
Made me so happy
Loved this show..and will love the next season
Mar 19, 2017 4:40 PM

Aug 2008
Got to say, as much as I loved the first half the second half was not as strong for me. I loved seeing Kiriyama struggle with shogi and his relationships with the sisters and his step sister and how they all conflict. However I was much less interested in the large amount of time spent with Shimada and his "friend" the fat one, was annoying every time he was on screen. Wish the show stuck with more of the former instead of the latter, would have made this anime all around more entertaining for me.
Mar 20, 2017 12:07 AM

Sep 2015
Great conclusion to this series and hyped for season 2!!
Mar 20, 2017 4:02 PM

Dec 2015
Hope the second season focus more on relationship of the Kiriyama with the school, the three sisters and his carreer in shogi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2017 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Aww, omg the first half was so heartwarming! I'm glad that Rei could form a science shogi club with Noguchi (I think his name is?) :3 Plus not to mention Hayshida helping out and suggesting it and being their advisor too. That would have made for a great ending with us ending on a great note in a new school year, but the second half was pretty nice too. Started off kind of sad with Rei always being alone, but then it turned into him finding other people who are heading towards the same goal as him. I guess for Rei shogi is his way of socializing isn't it? I'm glad he was able to find so many people like him :D

Overall I thought this was a great show with a wide cast of likeable characters, good music, and plot. In general art/animation was quite good with a few awkward spots, but noth8ing too bad. Really showed the characters' conflicts and character development was really well done, especially seeing different sides to characters. Very enjoyable to watch and I'm glad to hear a S2 will be coming soon! Later this year wow lol, only taking a small break huh? :P I'm gonna be looking forward to it! 9/10

EDIT: I forgot to say earlier I liked how they brought back the first ED too :D Nice touch!
EvianBubbleMar 20, 2017 7:36 PM
Mar 21, 2017 12:23 AM

Mar 2009
2nd half of the episode was extremely poignant. I'm glad Rei was eventually able to find some people to sit next to him in the journey that is life.

Great adaptation from beginning to end of this season. And a great manga in general. I think most fans were a little worried when Shaft was first announced as the anime studio behind this one, but I'd say they knocked it out of the park with the adaptation. Couldn't be happier really.

Sadly, March Comes in Like a Lion didn't get noticed too much. It was devoured by the juggernaut that was Yuri on Ice last season, like most other anime; and this season it was overshadowed by the masterful and beloved Rakugo. Hopefully it has its time to shine when it comes back in October. Totally deserves it.

Momo 4 life.
Mar 21, 2017 1:44 PM

Oct 2009
This was great, such a joyful ride! I always wanted to read this, as it's from the author of "Honey and Clover", but then the anime adaptation was announced and I decided to wait for it. I'm glad I did, as I really enjoyed the colourful art, music. The atmosphere here is wonderful, and the story has so much potential!

I'm really happy that there will be a second season, but I can't wait to find out what's next, so i won't x)... 80 further chapters, here I come (though I'm sure I'll be watching the second season as well)! =D
Mar 21, 2017 9:18 PM

Mar 2015
This was an excellent series, and the fact it's getting a second season later this year only makes me happier that I've watched it.

Kiriyama is awesome and very easy to relate to I feel.

10/10!!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 21, 2017 10:37 PM

Feb 2013
Didn't really feel like a finale....but I guess that will just be the second season.

Anyway I thought this show was great. So many differing emotions with each episode, and a cool story.

8/10
Mar 22, 2017 11:18 AM

Apr 2015
I'm so glad that this is getting a second season for two reasons. First being that a lot is left to be covered and the second reason is that I loved the series and this finale just doesn't give a sense of ending.

Everything about this series is great. From the interaction with sisters to the depressing moments to the shogi matches. Love them all.

8.5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2017 11:54 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
And so the end finally arrives for this great series.
So the new school term for Rei has finally arrived then
Its too bad that Hayashida who helped him so much last term isn't his teacher anymore
No matter which school it is the race for the cafe at lunch is real lol
So Rei had to repeat a year in the end eh too bad.
In school classmates naturally would form groups around their interests which is hard for Rei as he doesn't have the courage to join any plus Shogi is something that younger people won't understand. Kinda sad really. Meanwhile the rank deciding competitions are soon so Rei will have his hands full with those as well. Nice to see that Nikaido is still is old self lol. If you two want to be legends then they have to work hard for it. Lol seeing Hayashida run all the way up the stairs to catch Rei was funny. Well its nice that Rei once again has someone to eat lunch with in this school term. Since its the new school year its a good chance for Rei to make up for his past year but given that he has shogi to worry about maybe coming back is not a good move.

Hmm a shogi club would be a good place for Rei and a good thing to join as he will have the opportunity to meet fellow shogi players as well as improve his own skills. Finding new members will be the tough job though. Deep down Rei wants to use this opportunity to meet new people and make new friends while also improving his grades as well. If Rei had continued with is current path things would have been more painful for him as he pointed out. Lol Hayashida can be a jerk sometimes but at least he means well and that he truly wishes to help him. In a way both the after schools burners club and the Shogi club are in dire straits due to similar circumstances. Lol to think that the upperclassman in the burners club actually looked like underclassman 2 years ago compared to the 1st year that walked in lol. Combining the clubs would ensure that both can continue to exist solving both problems lol. And so the after school burners club become the after school shogi science club lol. Great name actually. Its nice that after all this time Rei has finally joined a club. Its kinda sad that in his childhood Rei is always alone and that no one wants to sit next to him. Though i guess its better than to sit next to someone that hates you. Wow to think that having that as a homeroom topic. Thats not going to solve any problems and indeed make people hate you as well. Its sad that Rei was all alone when he was little though. But at the same time its nice that he gets to experiment with different things like seeing how ants react when seeing a sweet. Guess Shogi was the only thing that interested him in that environment. As it turns out Shogi gave Rei not just a place where he can belong but also friends that share his passion for it as well. I love to see what that kid who refused to sit next to Rei is doing now lol.

Its been a good series and i actually really enjoyed this episode as it gave a look into Rei's childhood plus his future as well. Im glad that there will be another season to this. Maybe Rei will someday get to challenge Souya.
Mar 23, 2017 2:10 AM

Aug 2016
I'm going to miss this good anime, I love chess and this one has a good story.

I would have to have another season, he deserves it.
Mar 23, 2017 10:44 AM

Sep 2011
This was an excellent episode to an excellent show, I was just smiling like an idiot in the first half seeing rei actually finding his place in school and the 2nd half kind of hit home exemplifying how far he had come in finding people to stand by his side. gonna miss this show until fall. The show was weirdly hit or miss but the parts where it hit were just so strong and left such an impact I cant even take many points off from it, really think this is the finest slice of life to come out in recent memory, Rei is such an excellent character that when something good or bad happens to him you can really get a connection from it. I've always felt that was proof of a good character, when something good happens to them you the viewer feel happy as a result.

Very strong 8.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 23, 2017 4:36 PM

Feb 2008
Good things that came from this show: first opening and ending, the three sisters, Rei as a character, Rei's sister, Gotou, the fatty, and the Young Master that Rei will probably face someday.

In my opinion.

Shogi was one of the things I was excited about this show. To learn about it (like I learned about mahjong in Akagi) was one of the objectives. Unfortunately, shogi makes me sleep it seems. I kept watching because it was a Shaft show. And Shaft knows how to develop a slice of life in every possible way, knowing their portfolio. The first cour of the show developed very well, but the second cour just changed everything around.

I even felt that Rei was no longer the main character. Shimada got in the way and things just weren't that interesting, even with small appearances of Rei's step sister in some episodes. The sisters also didn't get much screentime. With the second season announced, I am hoping to see Rei battling it out to earn more ranks in his shogi life. It wasn't a bad show, but I just couldn't get into any of the side characters, except for Rei's stepsister. Marina Inoue's voice never fails.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Mar 23, 2017 5:57 PM

Sep 2013
A good end to a good show, I felt that the second half of the show wasn't as good, what with the sisters getting less screentime and more time focusing on different characters, but it's not like those parts were any bad either.
Mar 23, 2017 8:16 PM

Jun 2012
Hopefully theres more Souya in the second season.
Mar 24, 2017 12:37 AM

Oct 2008
good episode
The Afterburners Club was saved because they only have 4 members + Kiriyama so they have 5 members again and because of adviser Hayashida-sensei they are again an established club but changed the name of the club into "Afterschool Shogi Science Club"
2nd part was also nice, Kiriyama wants to keeps on playing and fishing for Shogi because nobody wants to sit beside him but when he has shogi opponents, there is somebody sitting along him.
This series is a very good ride! Hoping for more & of course S2!
4/5.
8/10.

Mar 24, 2017 8:39 AM

Sep 2014
was expecting 23 eps so I was surprised this is the final.
Im looking forward to the next season. I have to admit the "fun" of this anime where his struggles, with himself, society and his stepsister. I hope we see more of this. I missed the emotional rollercoaster in the last few episodes.
But this was probably my AOTS. splendid job shaft!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 24, 2017 5:45 PM
Nov 2012
Not bad, but felt kinda incomplete
Mar 24, 2017 8:06 PM

Oct 2015
I think this anime mixed with Hikaru no Go would have created a masterpiece. What this one lacked in the game itself could have been complemented with how awesome Hikaru no Go was at it (tournament and the career in itself). And Hikaru no Go could have been much better with "outside of the game elements" like what this series had. A combination would have been perfect (I know they are different games but you know what I mean).
Mar 26, 2017 11:48 PM

Jul 2012
Is S2 out yet? ;-; I don't want to wait.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Mar 27, 2017 6:14 AM

Jul 2008
No sisters and I thought it was a very poor season finale.

Overall a good show, 6/10.
Mar 28, 2017 12:36 AM

Jul 2016
I like how well Shaft directed this show. From the animation, visuals, audio and voice acting, they were all remarkable. It really deserved my 9/10.

Hype for the 2nd Season.
Mar 28, 2017 1:09 PM

Nov 2008
Shingster said:

So Rei had to repeat a year in the end eh too bad.

Again, people, he didn't. He managed to pass the previous year. Having to repeat a year is just the only logical reason his new classmates are able to think of as to why someone a year older than them would be sharing a class with them. By Rei's own request, almost no one at his school knows anything about him unless they put in the effort to research him themselves.

Rei's still just one year behind due to the year-long break he took right after becoming a professional.
Mar 30, 2017 8:25 AM

Oct 2014
I loved the first cour but the second cour with the Shogi stuff was bad...
We want drama! We want the sisters!

Waiting for S2
Mar 31, 2017 7:59 AM

Apr 2014
So they ended it there, and the sisters aren't present.
Well, It can't be helped since that's what happened in the manga.
I guess until season 2 then. I'll rate this anime an 8 out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 5, 2017 12:51 AM

Oct 2015
That Rei sure was lonely as a child, that was kinda mean of the other children for excluding him like that. This Season was good for me not that great, i have seen better.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

158 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 12:31 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

moodie - Oct 15, 2016

191 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:12 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

289 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:06 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

91 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 3:44 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

162 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 1:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.