Forum Settings
Forums

TV Live-Action Series for 'Sword Art Online' Announced

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 3, 2016 3:16 AM

Jan 2016
Given the current track record with anime live-action adaptations (this is probably common knowledge by this point), I have literally zero expectations that this will make for good viewing, especially when you throw in the following:
1. SAO is probably not something that should be adapted into live-action material given the existance of harems, the Fairy Dance rape scene, and the ubiquitous OP protagonist himself (also known as Jesus-kun).
2. The budget for making this kind of adaptation will probably be completely abysmal as past adaptations have told us, probably entailing awful CGI, and bad looking fights throughout.
3. I assume they are adapting the original novels and not Progressive. The anime adaptation completely botched Aincrad because A-1 decided to adapt the first two novels at the same time, creating completely jumbled plot progression. If Skydance Media does the same thing in the U.S, I can already see the public outcry against this show.
I'm just confused by the whole concept of scoring by "Writing and characters." If you're not entertained, why should you care?
Aug 3, 2016 3:35 AM

Apr 2013
RedaJaNai said:
Anime shows are not meant to be adapted into live action shows. Ever.

The novel is adapted, not the anime. Doesn't mean it's going to be better, but a novel adapted in a movie/series very frequent happening and had given really impressive series/movies.

Tevens said:
Gintama Live Action

and then SAO live action.

WHAT'S NEXT JAPAN ?!
HUNTER X HUNTER LIVE ACTION ?!
TOKYO GHOUL LIVE ACION ?! (ACTUALLY THEY ARE PLANNING TO MAKE IT)
TTGL LIVE ACTION ?!
FMA LIVE ACTION ?! STEINS;GATE LIVE ACTION ?! Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu ?! CLANNAD ?! NOT ONLY AOT LIVE ACTION IS SO SO SO FREAKING BAD AND NOW....YOU ARE PLANNING TO MAKE SAO LIVE ACTION WHICH MANY MANY MANY ANIME FANS FROM WEST DISLIKE AND HATE ?!

IS THIS THE END OF THE ANIME ?! SERIOUSLY. I MEAN, I DON'T WANT TO INSLUT A PERSON'S TASTE BUT THIS TIME I CAN'T LET IT ASIDE BECAUSE IT'S TOO FUCKING WEIRD. WITH THE CG AND ACT THAT JAPAN HAVE FOR LIVE ACTION...IT'S FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!! DON'T TELL ME JUST FOR THE SAKE OF MONEY THEY ARE DOING THIS ?! MONEY ?! AGAIN ?! SERIOUSLY ?! I HATE THAT A LOT!

I DON'T KNOW PEOPLE'S OUTSIDE JAPAN THOUGHT ON JAPANESE ACTORS ACTING IN LIVE ACTION FILM BUT TO ME, I THINK IT'S SO BAD THAT I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE WATCHING IT. BUT STILL, THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. JUST A PERSON OPINION WOULD EVEN BUDGE IT. SO I WONDER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ON JAPANESE LIVE ACTION ACTOR....

Hey, hey, you just wrote a whole text that can be answered with the first word in the news. "american". Not, japan. Congratulations.

thepath said:
Meh, Japanese don't know how to make a good live action shows. Chinese are better at making live action films

They should just make SAO 3 instead of this crap

First word in the news. American.

Zapredon said:
Live action for anime always didn't work. Doubt this will be exception.

Novel. this is a novel. Doesn't mean it's going to work, but... it's still a novel. Not an anime.
ZefyrisAug 3, 2016 3:40 AM
Aug 3, 2016 4:01 AM

May 2015
I wonder what the writer of that live action is smoking when he said that
“For years I have been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise,” added Kalogridis. “I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to work with such talented partners to bring this cutting-edge yet timeless story to a new format at Skydance.”

Can we like do a petition not for this shit to happen.What bothers me is that why did they even think about adapting sao when they can't even make a decent show like avatar one of their own western works.
zurgboy00Aug 3, 2016 4:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2016 4:11 AM

Mar 2013
Wut?! Is this seriously meant? No late April Fool action? Can't believe...>_>

Fu** why, I could puke literally...

Sorry, Holliwood can some awesome sci-fi movies like Indemendent's Day or historical-epic movies like Troja create, but what from Japan came, was a trash production, where to puke was... DOA, Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, Avatar: The last air bender (Yeah, I know that this not from Nippon came, but nevertheless...) and not to forget the biggest disappointmen of the history of the adaptations, Dragon Ball - At DB I had almost a harakiri made, because it was a blasphemy what they did with Toriyama's masterpiece.

Though, seriously. If it sometime in Japan broadcasted will, then I wonder me if they the original cast from the anime take will, like Matsuoka and Haruka...>_>
Aug 3, 2016 4:35 AM
Sep 2015
LOL. This is gonna be fun to watch...
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Aug 3, 2016 4:42 AM

Feb 2015
Zefyris said:

Tevens said:
Gintama Live Action

and then SAO live action.

WHAT'S NEXT JAPAN ?!
HUNTER X HUNTER LIVE ACTION ?!
TOKYO GHOUL LIVE ACION ?! (ACTUALLY THEY ARE PLANNING TO MAKE IT)
TTGL LIVE ACTION ?!
FMA LIVE ACTION ?! STEINS;GATE LIVE ACTION ?! Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu ?! CLANNAD ?! NOT ONLY AOT LIVE ACTION IS SO SO SO FREAKING BAD AND NOW....YOU ARE PLANNING TO MAKE SAO LIVE ACTION WHICH MANY MANY MANY ANIME FANS FROM WEST DISLIKE AND HATE ?!

IS THIS THE END OF THE ANIME ?! SERIOUSLY. I MEAN, I DON'T WANT TO INSLUT A PERSON'S TASTE BUT THIS TIME I CAN'T LET IT ASIDE BECAUSE IT'S TOO FUCKING WEIRD. WITH THE CG AND ACT THAT JAPAN HAVE FOR LIVE ACTION...IT'S FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!! DON'T TELL ME JUST FOR THE SAKE OF MONEY THEY ARE DOING THIS ?! MONEY ?! AGAIN ?! SERIOUSLY ?! I HATE THAT A LOT!

I DON'T KNOW PEOPLE'S OUTSIDE JAPAN THOUGHT ON JAPANESE ACTORS ACTING IN LIVE ACTION FILM BUT TO ME, I THINK IT'S SO BAD THAT I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE WATCHING IT. BUT STILL, THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. JUST A PERSON OPINION WOULD EVEN BUDGE IT. SO I WONDER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ON JAPANESE LIVE ACTION ACTOR....

Hey, hey, you just wrote a whole text that can be answered with the first word in the news. "american". Not, japan. Congratulations.

oh shit! what a mistake. sorry for snapping so suddenly like that bruh lol xD
Aug 3, 2016 4:55 AM

Nov 2011
Here we go again. People gonna start talking about how much SAO sucks for the 12345679th round.

Aug 3, 2016 5:03 AM

Mar 2015
waiting patiently for it release... as long it not wasting time lvl adaptation....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 3, 2016 5:18 AM

Jul 2016

Why the fuck does every anime need to be turned into a live-action movie or TV series? Honestly, I hope this gets cancelled.
Aug 3, 2016 5:21 AM
Sep 2015
Another reason to hate SAO lovers...
Aug 3, 2016 6:09 AM

Apr 2012
I think it's interesting to see how this Western live-action adaptation turns out. I mean, I would love to see a mature & non-harem SAO storytelling if possible. Just look at Edge of Tomorrow movie which is also based on Japanese light novel, and it turned out pretty good.

But I hope it wouldn't turn out to be one of those dumb teen drama like Twilight series.
Visit my blog site for my own impressions about anime & other things: http://infonochikara.wordpress.com/
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/kaoru_kajiura
Subscribe on YouTube channel: http://youtube.com/KaoruKajiura
Aug 3, 2016 6:14 AM

Dec 2012
Sounds like a whitewashed disaster already. Is Will Smith's son going to be Kirito just to be politically correct?
Aug 3, 2016 6:17 AM

Oct 2013
And more stuff for Hollywood to fuck up. This is gonnaa flop BIG! Guaranteed shitty staff and crappy director on the way. White cast and everything....or are they gonna be black?
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Aug 3, 2016 6:31 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Despite I have a feeling this wouldn't be that good, I'm kinda curious about this.

Should've hired M. Night Syahmalan for director to make things more interesting

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 3, 2016 6:41 AM

Aug 2015
It can't get any worse, right?
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Aug 3, 2016 6:51 AM

Apr 2014
Lol. Good luck with this.
Aug 3, 2016 7:18 AM
Sep 2015
i have no words to say. all i see is disaster lol.
Aug 3, 2016 7:30 AM

May 2016
daAmazinFatB0y said:
And more stuff for Hollywood to fuck up. This is gonnaa flop BIG! Guaranteed shitty staff and crappy director on the way. White cast and everything....or are they gonna be black?

I don't think that the Director will be bad. I heard that it will be the same that made the Avatar movie (the blue one, not the Airbander) and the last Terminator movie. I think that it will be atleast average.
Aug 3, 2016 8:01 AM

Oct 2013
swordmasterman said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

I don't think that the Director will be bad. I heard that it will be the same that made the Avatar movie (the blue one, not the Airbander) and the last Terminator movie. I think that it will be atleast average.

The one who directed the last Terminator movie was Alan Taylor and Avatar is James Cameron.

I don't have much hope for Alan Taylor but maybe James Cameron can pull through.

Now its all down to what writer we get.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Aug 3, 2016 8:20 AM

Jul 2014
Well, at least it's a TV series rather than a movie, so that should hopefully mean that it won't be as hilariously butchered as a live-action movie adaptation would be. I have a feeling that this will end up working pretty well, all things considered.
Aug 3, 2016 9:12 AM

Dec 2015
I actually think this might not be that bad. I mean, sao has potential and adaptions have a tendency to differ from the source material... if they only adapted the 'sword art online' part (so not the part with the fairies, stupid conflict, incest and tentacle rape), and gave everything some time to actually develop (like show kirito doing stuff to level up instead of being 40 levels higher after one episode), it might be really interesting! Of course they should pay attention to the source material, but that's not to say they can't try to fix its mistakes right?

And besides, it can only be better than the anime, at least in my eyes lol
Aug 3, 2016 9:24 AM

Apr 2015
CRAWLING IN MY SKINNNNNNN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL

WAKE ME UP
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
I CANT WAKE UP
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
SAVEEEE MEEE

CUT MY LIFE INTO PEICES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2016 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
First Tokyo Ghoul, and now SAO. Have mercy God
Aug 3, 2016 10:03 AM
Nov 2015
Why god why......
Aug 3, 2016 10:22 AM

Feb 2014
The live action hate train is hilarious. This is going to be a TV series so I'm interested to see what they're going to do.

Hollywood has to get comfortable with adapting animes. They're just now starting to get good with comic book series, they'll have to go through a faze of trial and error when adapting animes/light novels/mangas, but they'll get there.

I for one am happy the American film industry is finally taking an interest in adapting Japanese media.
Aug 3, 2016 10:29 AM

Feb 2014
KaiserNazrin said:
Here we go again. People gonna start talking about how much SAO sucks for the 12345679th round.

Ya it's pretty annoying, some people have nothing better to do, it's pathetic.

I'm glad the writer likes SAO and respects it. The Dragon Ball Evolution guy didn't give a shit about the source material, he even admitted it, and look how that turned out.

I think she can do a good job, she has the right attitude.
Aug 3, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2015
I'm gonna watch this! For shit and giggles :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 3, 2016 12:00 PM

Feb 2015
can we PLEASE just let this franchise die? it's not even that impressive (or popular) anymore.

not sure if i'll laugh or cringe when the rapey scenes come up. probably cringe.

why, Jesus Christ, why?
Aug 3, 2016 12:19 PM
Jan 2016
as a fan i don't know how i feel about this. i'll watch it but i care more about the upcoming movie and season 3.
Aug 3, 2016 12:42 PM

Mar 2016
E
Yohimo_asakura said:
LOL what? (when I first saw the poster I thought it's S3 announcement, my heart skipped a beat...)

Well, anyways, let's wait and see. As a fan of the series I'm still looking forward, producer worked on Avatar, after all.

I hope it's not Dragon ball evolution V2

P.S let the shit-storm begin!!!
I love it

How can it Be evolution 2 if it's source was horrible anyway?

Aug 3, 2016 12:47 PM

Mar 2016
Mike4992 said:

Why the fuck does every anime need to be turned into a live-action movie or TV series? Honestly, I hope this gets cancelled.
Did your really make an account for that? worth it.

Aug 3, 2016 12:49 PM

Mar 2016
TomDay said:
can we PLEASE just let this franchise die? it's not even that impressive (or popular) anymore.

not sure if i'll laugh or cringe when the rapey scenes come up. probably cringe.

why, Jesus Christ, why?
I agree. Thank god this isnt reddit and I cant be downvoted to the point of me not being able to comment for me hating SnK/SA- oh wait, Just saw report button...

Aug 3, 2016 1:05 PM

Oct 2010
Oh God somebody bring in some intravenous Vitamin C to end this cancer already.
Aug 3, 2016 1:24 PM

Apr 2014
Shits got real. I just got out of anime for a month then this what I got?
Well, I guess back to watching cartoons and let my hard drive filed up (rss) with anime.
In any case if this is good since it's funded by America, maybe I'll watch it. Is this an American show? Eh, it is.
Haters always gonna hate.
Aug 3, 2016 1:35 PM

Jul 2016
RottedRabbit said:
Mike4992 said:

Did your really make an account for that? worth it.

Nah, some friends told me to make an account in July. I just happened to browse the forums and decided to post for the first time.
Mike4992Aug 3, 2016 1:40 PM
Aug 3, 2016 1:42 PM

Feb 2015
RottedRabbit said:
I agree. Thank god this isnt reddit and I cant be downvoted to the point of me not being able to comment for me hating SnK/SA- oh wait, Just saw report button...

yeah, be careful about that. MAL users trigger easily.
Aug 3, 2016 1:58 PM

Apr 2016
I don`t know sure if is a good or a bad thing. I really love Sword Art Online. Hope they will follow exactly what is in the novel. I`m praying that they won`t destroy such an amazing story.

Aug 3, 2016 3:10 PM

Apr 2012
Ioryogi-kun said:
SUNTEARS said:
This wont do unless they poured Game of Throne level budget. That's if they can turn a very japanese story into a western one.

Dude wat? A1 had like 480 minutes to adapt this and done it horribly, you butcher it to 120 minutes you'll see a deeper hell.

Well, l was thinking more about the budget for movie vs tv series, movie budget is generally way bigger than tv series, not to mention it gives more freedom. Tv series is for... well, television broadcast. Can you imagine the kind of limitation (censoring and stuff) that's going to be put on it so it could air in prime time where a lot of people can watch (and thus producer could sell broadcast rights more expensively)? Besides, adapting a source media into a movie doesn't mean it's going to always tell the whole story right from the beginning. It could pick up a particular point of story and expand on it (or make an entirely original plot that's not found in the novel).

Anyway, are there no news yet whether it's a complete American production with American actors or is it going to be Japanese actors?

A movie budget wont be happening, no one wants to throws 100 mil dollars for a random japanese novel. But somewhere around GoT budget might do.
And my point still stand, SAO is not something that will work as a movie, as the story need at least 4 damn movies to works wonder, which is far too optimistic for an unknown japanese novel. Yes, SAO is only hyped within the anime community, normal folks might find the title name intetesting or some might've heard it somewhere but thats about everything.
Aug 3, 2016 3:22 PM

Oct 2013
I'm not necessarily a fan of this series but don't really hate it either. I can say though that I didn't even feel like it needed a second anime season but this is just...I have no words.

Then again I still have flashbacks to that horrible excuse of a DBZ movie (if it could even be called that).
Aug 3, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2014
I've yet to understand what's this "story" people keep fawning about in SAO that makes them wet. Some indie doujin?
Aug 3, 2016 6:11 PM

Nov 2014
dis gon be gud.

I will watch it for the lulz
Aug 3, 2016 6:26 PM

Jun 2015
just...why?!
that story won't work well!!! why not pick something that actually makes sense ?!
Aug 3, 2016 6:29 PM
Jan 2013
A LIVE ACTION ECCHI HAREM ANIME.DONE BY THE US.
This is groundbreaking.

Aug 3, 2016 7:20 PM

Nov 2015
God dammit...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore ...
Aug 3, 2016 7:33 PM

Aug 2015
Who asked for this? Where are you hiding!
Aug 3, 2016 8:29 PM

Aug 2012
What more do they want us to see that happens within this "story"? Like seriously. What? It doesn't even have a sensible story line.. Whose asking for this?
Aug 3, 2016 10:10 PM

Nov 2015

Seriously though. WTF.
Nice--Aug 3, 2016 10:55 PM
Forum Set and Profile Picture by aikopotz~
Aug 3, 2016 10:18 PM
Jan 2016
-ShadowClaw- said:
What is with this stuff becoming live action for western media latetly...it is going to become a common thing now?

but on a real note...this i just have to see at the very least to see if it will work ( i doubt it )

Lack of fresh ideas in Hollywood so they've been scanning different forms of media/IPs for ideas. That's probably why we've been getting so many upcoming live action anime stuff.
Aug 4, 2016 1:54 AM

Jul 2007
Juu_Go said:
What more do they want us to see that happens within this "story"? Like seriously. What? It doesn't even have a sensible story line.. Whose asking for this?

it has perfectly sensible storyline and setting that is relevant to current tech industry and does not depend on japanese aesthetics or setting.

TomDay said:
it's not even that impressive (or popular) anymore.

> SAO
> Not popular anymore.

L O O O L

Laugasts said:

Lack of fresh ideas in Hollywood so they've been scanning different forms of media/IPs for ideas. That's probably why we've been getting so many upcoming live action anime stuff.

Friendly reminder that Hollywood refers to a movie industry. Not overall entertainment industry. I am always shocked how out of touch people are.
Aug 4, 2016 6:56 AM
Oct 2014
Black Asuna incoming.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
16 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.