Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (22) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 15, 2016 11:53 AM

May 2013
This episode was fucking amazing!! Easily the best one I've seen this season.
May 15, 2016 11:56 AM

Mar 2015
Also, I totally love how the anime gives a new shot for Rem in Subaru's flashback, since it was from the LN while they just gives the previously used scenes for the other characters.

Keep it up White Fox!

May 15, 2016 11:56 AM

Jan 2015
LOL. I can't believe it.

Someone waited for the 99th vote and then voted 4 out of 5 at the 100th...lol.
May 15, 2016 11:57 AM
Jan 2015
Xenocrisi said:
LOL. I can't believe it.

Someone waited for the 99th vote and then voted 4 out of 5 at the 100th...lol.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted haha
May 15, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2007

*For future reference how good this episode actually had been.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 15, 2016 11:59 AM

Jan 2015
shanimebib said:

*For future reference how good this episode actually had been.

And then the 100th voter voted 4 out 5.

Gg wp. I would have done the same.
May 15, 2016 12:00 PM

Feb 2016
HOLY COW this episode was so well made, it had legendary feels, i couldnt hold it, my heart was almost destroyed there... so well made, cant wait for the next episode

5/5
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 15, 2016 12:00 PM

Aug 2013
Best episode so far this anime just keeps impressing might end up being the best this year.
May 15, 2016 12:01 PM
Dec 2015
mozgow said:
I have no doubt after this episode that this is AotS. Great job White Fox.

A lot of things has been explained in this episode. But again new questions arise :-)

Your reasoning feels logical, so the source is actually the curse and each time, it either claimed his life when he died quietly or it claimed Rem's or Ram's life and resulted in them killing him afterwards.

The third revive sounds logical as well. Really curious where did the source of the curse came from. Probably the village? Since they have to go there to do groceries and if he isn't there, one of the maids would have to be there.
May 15, 2016 12:04 PM
Aug 2012
Watch as he survives the plunge.
May 15, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2014
This episode was insane. Hardest part is waiting for the new ep every week.
May 15, 2016 12:05 PM

Jan 2016

I find Rem's refusal to listen to reason, dogmatic pursuit for information and assuredness of betrayal completely charmless, to the point that I'm like this person isn't worth saving. She related that the time the MC and the sisters spent together was all a lie and they were both faking friendship and putting up a facade. They never trusted him from the beginning. Holding his hand while he had a nightmare isn't convincing enough for me to ever get that out of my mind.

Someone making an attempt on my life when I've done nothing is garbage. That's grounds for incarceration or to be answered in kind. This kid has been successfully killed three times already. If it were me, I would have never given my life, again, to save these cretins.

He's known them for a total of: 20ish days. That's not enough time for me to grow attached to someone that would backstab me three times. In fact, nothing's holding him there. There is no objective after coming into this new world. He could just leave the mansion first day and never look back, damn whatever happens to these people.
FragOutFireMay 15, 2016 12:23 PM
May 15, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2014
I have the shivers. This show gives me the shivers, the main character is probably one of the best constructed characters ever, he's realistic, he feels fear, I can't even start to imagine how he was feeling, after dying so many times, after so many brutal deaths, after being murdered by someone you love, not being able to tell anyone because of that sensation, the fear of what would happen. It's not pain, it's not rational, but he feels it, and he runs in despair from all of it. And what is he going to do about it in the end? He thinks about the short yet beautiful times with the people in the mansion, the sad anger in Ram's voice, and decides to embrace the despair he felt til now, and finds once again the resolution to change everything.
I love this series, I love its characters, all of them 'til now, it's so perfect...
Ruka desu.
May 15, 2016 12:08 PM
May 15, 2016 12:10 PM

Mar 2015
In first loop he died from the curse.
In second loop, he was killed by Rem.
In third loop, he was once again killed by Rem, this time on screen.
In fourth loop, Rem died from the curse, Ram tried to kill him, but ultimately he killed himself this time.

Something doesn't add up here.
In second loop, it was Ram who had the motive (jealousy) to attack him as he was closer to Rem this time, yet he remembers the chains which is associated with Rem's morningstar-like weapon. We don't know if anyone died of the curse. If anyone died, it was Ram and motive is vengeance as the surviving sister automatically assumed he is guilty.
Third loop doesn't mentions that anyone died from the curse by the time Subaru was attacked.
Did anyone visited the town in third loop?

Jun 2014
Man, White Fox continues to show that they really care and are passionate about this project. They're not cutting any corners, and unlike other shows that might do this, they've cut out the OP and/or ED on multiple occasions just to squeeze in even a few more minutes of content so they don't need to rush or omit things. Keep this up WF, you still have to do this for another several months.

I think this episode did a good job of depicting the psychological consequences that Subaru is experiencing due to these repeated deaths. He was pretty much going batshit insane. I thought he wasn't going to go through with the suicide after Beatrice showed up, but it was kind of cool (I feel weird calling suicide cool) that he still went through with it to show his newfound resolve. That sound effect when he landed though........anyway, another amazing episode!
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 2013
been years.....

...years since ive seen something that good.
May 15, 2016 12:11 PM

Feb 2015
HOLY SHIT!
This episode was amazing. Definitely my favorite episode so far.
May 15, 2016 12:14 PM

Mar 2008
Best episode so far, it was intense.
May 15, 2016 12:15 PM

May 2015
There's something I don't get. So was Ram who killed him in this episode? I thought Rem said she didn't let Ram knows, so how did Ram sliced his neck?

I mean I get that Rem is the only one around, but when Ram cut Subaru's cheek, he immediately got a flashback about his death. So it was Ram who killed him or not?
May 15, 2016 12:15 PM

Apr 2015
Malise said:
In fourth loop, Rem died from the curse, Ram tried to kill him, but ultimately he killed himself this time.

In second loop, it was Ram who had the motive (jealousy) to attack him as he was closer to Rem this time, yet he remembers the chains which is associated with Rem's morningstar-like weapon. We don't know if anyone died of the curse. If anyone died, it was Ram and motive is vengeance as the surviving sister automatically assumed he is guilty.
Third loop doesn't mentions that anyone died from the curse by the time Subaru was attacked.

Didn't you hear Rem talk about the witches stench and how it confirms it for her that he has to do something with the Witches Cult and a witch in general? Since the stench seems to get stronger and stronger with every loop the first time he died in episode 4 seemed to be enough for Rem to notice it and kill him in episode 5.
May 15, 2016 12:16 PM

Apr 2015

I laugh so high, cause of it. hahahahahhaahahhaahahaa!
May 15, 2016 12:17 PM

Apr 2015
DarkingDawning said:
There's something I don't get. So was Ram who killed him in this episode? I thought Rem said she didn't let Ram knows, so how did Ram sliced his neck?

I mean I get that Rem is the only one around, but when Ram cut Subaru's cheek, he immediately got a flashback about his death. So it was Ram who killed him or not?

Yes Ram killed him. After Subaru died Rem said "Sister is way too kind" meaning she killed him and saved him from any further torture.
May 15, 2016 12:17 PM

Apr 2015
Fai said:
kidlat020 said:

THEY DIDN'T ADAPTED THIS PROPERLY! THIS BONE-CHILLING PAGE WASN'T ADAPTED CORRECTLY.

The scene happened and was shown, just not in such blatantly anvilicious way as that page you linked. Also isn't manga just an adaptation too? the source is light novels.

and that is why the shock factor is lost. making those 30ish seconds a complete waste of animation and serves absolutely no purpose.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
May 15, 2016 12:18 PM
Aug 2013
Malise said:

Like stated in my post earlier I think the curse only kicks in at night in the third loop he was killed in the evening already by rem, rem visited the town there like in the the other loops, but in the third and fourth without subaru, she probably died the night after she killed subaru in the third loop.
May 15, 2016 12:18 PM

May 2015
Fappa said:
DarkingDawning said:

Yes Ram killed him. After Subaru died Rem said "Sister is way too kind" meaning she killed him and saved him from any further torture.

Whoa this gets more and more fucked up. He's trying to save the tears of the ones who killed him? Subaru is crazier than he looks.
May 15, 2016 12:19 PM

Dec 2014
They really did a great job in developing Subaru's character, it's one of the most realistic and intense I've seen in a while!

Anyway, an incredible episode, for 24 minutes I was glued to the screen!
May 15, 2016 12:21 PM

Mar 2012
kidlat020 said:
NOW I'M REALLY MAD

THEY DIDN'T ADAPTED THIS PROPERLY! THIS BONE-CHILLING PAGE WASN'T ADAPTED CORRECTLY.

They skipped THIS TOO WTF
May 15, 2016 12:23 PM

Oct 2009
povveriess said:
been years.....

...years since ive seen something that good.

Yes, it's really amazing, they're doing a very good job! 5/5, can't wait for the next episode!
May 15, 2016 12:23 PM
Jan 2015
Tiande said:
kidlat020 said:
NOW I'M REALLY MAD

NOW I'M EXTREMELY MAD
May 15, 2016 12:24 PM

Apr 2015
Tiande said:
kidlat020 said:
NOW I'M REALLY MAD

So this part is important, why they skip it ? now, i'm mad.
May 15, 2016 12:25 PM

Jan 2015
Tiande said:
kidlat020 said:
NOW I'M REALLY MAD

OH MY GOD. BURN THIS ANIME ADAPTATION.

N O W
May 15, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2015
This show keeps getting better and better. This & Kabaneri are by far the best anime out there atm. White Fox doing a stellar job, I expect this will get snapped up for physical release asap.
May 15, 2016 12:31 PM
Jul 2015
Emilia will become angel in episode 8, don't worry about that scene

May 15, 2016 12:31 PM

Jul 2013
I have mixed feelings about this episode. Although the voice acting and atmosphere of the episode were perfect, I didn't liked the decission of Subaru that much.

Even if the maids were conforting him when he was having his nightmares, that doesn't change the fact that they never trusted in him at all during all those days they spend together, putting facades to him and that they would kill him without any remorse or pity only because he has that Witch essence that it's not even his fault (like how Rem did in this episode). If I would were in his place, I wouldn't kill myself in such painful way only to save a person who would lie and assassinate me only for such reason without even bother to hear my words of reasoning, even if they conforted me, who could have been because they received orders and not because they genuinely wanted to do that. But I guess that it's Subaru nature after all.

On the other hand, Beatrice was the MVP in this episode. I found her funny in her previous appearences, but this time I liked her a lot.

Respecting to the Witch essence thing, I guess that implies that Subaru's time loop ability is something caused by the Witch and not by himself. Interesting...
May 15, 2016 12:34 PM

Jul 2014
VeritasEtLux said:
Really curious where did the source of the curse came from. Probably the village? Since they have to go there to do groceries and if he isn't there, one of the maids would have to be there.
That's I'm sure of. The thing I do not know is who or what is the source of the curse.

Malise said:
None that we know of. Subaru obviously didn't went there, and Rem was most likely observing his suspicious actions.
And as for who killed him and when, I wrote some theory here :-)
May 15, 2016 12:37 PM

Oct 2014
Basic White Fox.
Perfection in every seconds.

*smells Steins;Gate key episodes in every element*
*sees director's name*

Ah, I see.

Now all it needs to do is to not rush the last few episodes.

Oct 2014
Damn
DAMN
What an episode
He Broke
and we have a Murder 'Mystery' within another one, huh?

And the Witch might be the source of his Power.

6/5.

Question tho
Did Beatrice really only help him so he doesn't tell puck, or is there another reason?

Apr 2015
Even if the maids were conforting him when he was having his nightmares, that doesn't change the fact that they never trusted in him at all during all those days they spend together, putting facades to him and that they would kill him without any remorse or pity only because he has that Witch essence that it's not even his fault (like how Rem did in this episode).

probably because its only subaru thinking that way. the maids never gave him any "affection points" or whatever you wanna call it.

subaru already says it himself, that his affection with them lingers even if theirs is not. *your* impression of the maids would of course look like they're some strangers that are just some kind of expendable, but *subaru's* impression of them is way far off from there.

May 15, 2016 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
Fai said:

kidlat020 said:

The scene happened and was shown, just not in such blatantly anvilicious way as that page you linked. Also isn't manga just an adaptation too? the source is light novels.

It was even better in the anime. How he came to realization was pretty flawlessly portrayed.

---

Beginning scene had me in tears. Subaru's speech really moved me.

The music at 17:05 was so touching. Can't wait for the release of the OST

Best episode yet. Easy 10/10
May 15, 2016 12:39 PM

Dec 2013
Tiande said:
kidlat020 said:
NOW I'M REALLY MAD

IF THEY FUCKING SKIP THE
I WILL RAGE EVEN MORE!!!!!!!!!
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
May 15, 2016 12:41 PM

Apr 2015
Shrimperor said:
Damn
DAMN
What an episode
He Broke
and we have a Murder 'Mystery' within another one, huh?

And the Witch might be the source of his Power.

hint: subaru's comment about rem's death.

May 15, 2016 12:42 PM
Mar 2015
Malise said:

Does anybody know for sure if it was Ram who killed him in the second loop? People might have forgotten but Roswaal has a chain on his rightfoot that jingles (seen in ep 4) (I'm new to BBC code so I hope this picture works).

I am aware this might raise more questions than it answers ... but that is the point of this episode is it not? Subaru says it himself "Frankly, there's too much I don't know. But ... I decided to learn more about the things I don't know". Ever since arriving at the mansion getting a date with Emilia has been his only objective. He didn't care to solve the mysteries and challenges facing him. Now that he has something new to fight for and try to figure out I'm sure we will reach the bottom of some mysteries.
May 15, 2016 12:42 PM

Jan 2014
@Everyone complaining about how happy go lucky Subaru was

Subaru realized that he didnt die from an outside threat but instead someone he knows and trusts...NOW it makes sense for him to be scared and paranoid af...

So we learned:
-Witch called Subaru to this world
-Subaru has the "smell" of witch
-Witch made something to Ram so Rem hates witch,thats why she kills Subaru
-There is also some kind of "weakness curse" that kills someone for some reason every 4th day?

This was the best episode so far and worth the build-up in the last 2 episodes...Even if anime ends right now it is AOTS for me easily...

Surprised nobody talk about The Subaru Who Leapt Through Time

LoneWizzyMay 15, 2016 3:04 PM
May 15, 2016 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
@Benphyre

That one will happen next episode so no worries.
May 15, 2016 12:44 PM

Apr 2015
Satella said:
Fai said:

It was even better in the anime. How he came to realization was pretty flawlessly portrayed.

---

Beginning scene had me in tears. Subaru's speech really moved me.

The music at 17:05 was so touching. Can't wait for the release of the OST

Best episode yet. Easy 10/10

umm, you probably don't get it.

subaru was at that point very afraid of the maids. for them to hold his hand, at the state he was currently at worse...

instead of comfort, the manga readers were instead disturbed by that page. it was supposedly an ironic reception of sorts.

May 15, 2016 12:44 PM

Aug 2013
Jesus Christ, that was depressing. Then it got super intense. Then it made me hyped. And now it leave me on the edge. Goddamnit, it suck watching show on a weekly basis.

It was painful to see him struggle about choosing to die. Especially after he felt that ''witch thing'' crawling to him. Who knew if he would revive again? We know that he will (cause there wouldn't be 25 episodes otherwise), but I can see how it would be unclear to him. Not only that, but our animal instinct prevent us from killing ourself.

It was kinda weird to see Beatrice being so willing to protect him. It makes me wonder if she have any ulterior motive. I'm also really curious about that Witch thing. She seem awfully infamous.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 15, 2016 12:47 PM

Jul 2015
Gotta give Kobayashi props for his incredible voice acting. The whole cast is fantastic. And the animators props for the art and animation, specially on Subaru's face expressions. Man this episode had me in suspense throughout the whole thing!

Mar 2014
The first 5 minutes and seeing the always optimistic Subaru completely break down was hard for me to watch, it's really all kinds of messed up. I had a feeling there was going to be a loop that was just the worst and Subaru would end up resetting it himself.

I wonder how much more loops he needs to get through this mansion arc, there's still so many questions

Jul 2015
Great OST, great use of sound effects (like heartbeats etc.) again and the suicide is included. The despair is real. Perfect episode.

And this is why you don't judge characters by their initial stereotypes.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Pages (22) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.