Forum Settings
Forums

What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

New
Apr 26, 5:57 AM

Oct 2019
I'm sure a lot of people are annoyed with characters surrounding the protagonist, as some don't really hit. But what if it's about protagonists? I'll start first.

A lot of the options here are tropes I absolutely hate to see in a main character, but the one I just have pure hatred for are the noble and so-called perfect beings where they are not allowed to make a single mistake and if so, the mistake is immediately rectified, thus leaving no impact in the story whatsoever than just forgettable development.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 6:09 AM

Nov 2021
Horny protagonists are generally the worst kind. We have rudues, i’d put oshi no ko mc in the same category, that little shit from csm and Kazuya are all most annoying mc’s i’ve seen.
Apr 26, 6:10 AM

Jan 2023
I hate when characters use their horniness as a motivation (there’s exceptions of course like Denji and Rudy), like Arajin from Bucchigiri?! last season if anyone happened to watch it. It’s such a stupid way to set a character’s direction and feels flat, giving near nothing to whoever is motivated by it.

So probably the second option albeit slightly different.
Apr 26, 6:13 AM

Jul 2023
Option 2 for me, having a horny MC is one thing but those can be entertaining to watch like in space dandy, but the bad examples are REALLY bad *cough* kazuya *cough*

Sep 2016
Whichever trope combination is used for Zenitsu's personality, is the most annoying one.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

Jan 2009
i think like deku and naruto that is like batman with their never kill policy

sometimes killing the villain is a necessary evil to end future suffering
Apr 26, 6:14 AM

Mar 2012
Hard to choose between kind and noble and horny since I hate both but voted for kind and noble since I usually skip ecchi and other horny stuff so I usually don't come across these types. I absolutely hate those MCs that are so kind that they tolerate shit from others, specially when they have abusive tsunderes as love interests and end up choosing them in the end.
Apr 26, 6:15 AM

Jan 2019
Hate all of the above options

For a Slice of Life, I absolutely hate those "dense" and "nice guys", it just feels so bland and dumb. I want to see more "relatable" MCs like Kyon or Tomoya, which makes the show 100% more fun and relatable to watch.

Horny MCs are okay if it's an ecchi/fan-service heavy show, but not in a battle shounen, it makes the show feel unserious

Weak MCs just pushing the limit to be stronger because, well because. It really depends, if there's a good motivation and a good development arc/story for it, I welcome it every time. But if it's poorly done, it makes the character development felt fake and forced.

Innocent MCs are fine I guess, but same goes to the dense MCs, it makes me quite cringe.

Overall: Kind and noble yet dense because those people don't truly exist or at least it's overused and not relatable to the slightest.
Apr 26, 6:29 AM

Nov 2023
Characters that just automatically wins anything and everybody won't shut up about it.

Your average shonen protag with the only motive is to " SaVE PeoPle" and nothing else.
Apr 26, 6:32 AM

Dec 2022
When they're overly merciful and forgiving to a fault, especially if this ends up compromising the safety of themselves, friends and/or other associates in the future.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 26, 7:02 AM

Dec 2015
Too horny trope is the one which is the most annoying, as it is a big no.

Apr 26, 7:10 AM

Aug 2018
Out of all the options, I guess being too horny is the most annoying one.
Apr 26, 7:27 AM

Sep 2018
The Hachiman, Ayanokouji, Aquamarine type can singlehandedly ruin the anime. The last one in particulal really hurt me because Hoshino Ai was instead my favorite kind of protagonist.
Apr 26, 7:49 AM

Oct 2019
I hate characters that are made to be as bland as possible for the sake of self insert the most.

Kind hearted can also be very boring, but that one depends on the execution. I think tanjiro is extremely boring, but I actually like johnathan.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 26, 1:43 PM
Aug 2020
The hero who is loved by all women but pays no attention to anyone. Completely incapable of expressing emotions other than embarrassment and then, best of all, summoning the power of friendship.

Also leaders without ambitions of their own. like the MC of Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy.
Apr 26, 1:49 PM

Apr 2015
The main character being the strongest out of nowhere. Typically found in Isekai stuff that tries to be serious.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 27, 5:08 PM

Jul 2017
Self-insert protagonists with the most boring, bland, dull character designs, voices and personality traits just instantly creates a terrible image for the rest of the show for me without even seeing much of it, like an instant turn off that makes a character not even feel like a character and somehow end up getting rewarded way too easily with relationships, skills and powers in fantasy/isekai stories, etc. If they are generically kind, that is somehow even worse as a protagonist to watch for me.
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Jun 2007
Archean-Return said:
When they're overly merciful and forgiving to a fault, especially if this ends up compromising the safety of themselves, friends and/or other associates in the future.

This is exactly what I came to say. Drives me nuts how often a character will forgive someone who literally just tried to kill them or someone close to them. It's like yea, you're twisted and evil, but I won't kill you to prevent any possible future headaches. Nahhhhh. Especially if it's a hot chick. All the rules are out the window if you're female and attractive; then we just have to work toward a heel-face turn at all costs, lol. Well, with some exceptions. I loved how an anime I watched recently totally didn't follow that trope at all and the antagonist ended up being forced to cut their own head off :D

The annoyance scales up exponentially when said asshole antagonist joins the hero team and still acts like a jerk and nobody calls them on it. Like doing the typical punch person through the ceiling thing if they walk in on them undressing, then the punched party is all like sorry, sorry, and dogezas heh. It should be like yea, my bad (though why didn't you lock the door??) but remember you'd be dead right now normally, so maybe dial it down a notch :)
Apr 27, 5:28 PM

Oct 2017
The protagonist being a sexual predator
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 27, 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
The too horny protagonist is annoying. I mean it's funny if it's sparse and situational, but as an actual character trait? naaah..

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Apr 27, 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
Dense protags.

Girl be like: "I want your baby"

MC: "Hmm, I wonder what she means by that"
Apr 27, 11:11 PM

Jun 2011
Perversion. I actually love the other 3 tropes. I like my MC to be kind and noble, or innocent, or motivated to be better starting from the bottom. I am neutral towards extremely dense MC, it can get annoying sometimes.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 27, 11:33 PM

Apr 2020
Protags going "Yamero... Yamero!... YAMERO!!!" for centuries and then powering up for another century.
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
Apr 28, 12:21 AM

Mar 2023
Boring personality yet for some reason very overpowered.
Apr 28, 1:58 AM

Apr 2012
My least favourite type of protagonist is the authority figure who is regarded as good because they maintain the status quo. Fortunately a lot less common in anime than in your average medium, we don't get too many cop shows.
Apr 28, 8:44 AM

Aug 2010
I'll go with too horny, that can be too cringe to watch.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 28, 8:49 AM

Apr 2013
Goody-two-shoes characters who think they can solve everything without violence and always show mercy even to the worst kind of people.
Apr 28, 8:50 AM

Feb 2020
Too horny to think about objectives.
Apr 28, 12:19 PM

Jun 2019
The last time I genuinely got annoyed by a character was Shangri-La Frontier. Mid fight Sunraku thinks to himself something along the lines of "Wait, what am I doing? Was I really just about to give up?", which I really hated for whatever reason.

More topics from this board

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - Today

47 by Otakupervert890 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think fan-animations are shit

Kenzolo-folk - 2 hours ago

4 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago

» in your opinion, which genre/theme does anime excel in the most, and which genre/theme does it struggle with the most?

ame - 39 minutes ago

1 by Anjuro »»
16 minutes ago

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - Today

28 by ColourWheel »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - May 29

87 by mdo7 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.