Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2021 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
Nice, it looks like we got a series' finale with Gagumber, Zackletu, and Yuri all on the same page to save Memenpu.

Tbh, I like the way they defined Memenpu's character in the finale and remembering the dreams she's had. We got a high risk action packed episode too in terms of execution. A fun episode that had its emotional content and also important values to the characters. Kinda funny how they ended the finale with "not end".
Dec 23, 2021 6:58 AM

Jul 2017
The dream place that Memempu so wanted to reach from Urorop's map...finally has its semblance with the Shibito terrorists branding her as a Rainbow Child, which put the New York-esque Dream Colony in grave danger.

While Yuri, Zackletu and Gagumber are doing their best to save Memempu at it, the question of why and how Memempu is a Rainbow Child as children who see dreams from their infancy, that part which beckons its execution to only come now to reveal plot twists (as such with Gagumber not being her surrogate father, and the Shibito terrorists as Corpses sent to kill them because they ruin the Underground's nature) just feels like a haphazard effort to "spice" some realization drama between the once-father and daughter.

I'd guess that explains why both Gagumber and Memempu were both unaffected by the animus, and above it all, the familial drama, as emotional as it be and for the enemy to leave it as is between the two, they did their job to the end.

The finale was all contrived of plot conveniences left and right, and all the payoff from before just felt unsatisfying. I'd think that if you don't take this show seriously, then there's some fun to be had, but otherwise this was a weak ending that was left intentionally open.
Dec 23, 2021 7:45 AM
Mar 2021
Definitely the disappointment of the season. Thought after the first episode it was going to be a AOTS possibly AOTY contender. However, between the absolute mess of a plot and the worst set of characters of any show this season. This ended up being a clusterf*ck (I don't know MAL censoring works) of mammoth proportions.
Dec 23, 2021 8:20 AM

Nov 2019
This show really is the "Tanmoshi" of the Fall 2021 season, huh?

Promising first episode, but it really just goes downhill from there.
Dec 23, 2021 8:38 AM

Dec 2020
ahh it ended. gonna miss this one.

it had an interesting start, but got pretty messy. inconsistent characters, easy plot conveniences, repetitive pattern of how things will go, kind of a disappointment tbh but it was still a fun watch. real fun.

even with all that it was still one of the shows i most looked forward to every week on fall 2021. despite being mecha(a genre ive never dove into and probably never will) i enjoyed it a lot. the cgi and overall animation was fine, it had its own emotional moments though some were obvious tear jerkers they still got me lol, and even if some parts with the characters kinda irked me i really enjoyed their dynamic.

lots of unanswered questions here so i really hope it gets a season 2 !!
Dec 23, 2021 8:41 AM

Nov 2016
Bad guys always fall into the bad habit of having a monologue/ revealing their hands. The bozo could've easily blown himself up đź’€

Climax didn't quite measure up to the episodic portion. That was a given with only 12 episodes. Welp, kinda whatever. Thankfully, I liked the stars of this finale, Memenpu and Gagumber well enough.

Fun seasonal overall 6/10

And lmao @ to be continued....NOT they got me good ngl

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 23, 2021 8:43 AM

Mar 2011
I know that it's not possible for an anime episode to be made in a day, but this show really did feel like they were coming up with the plot lines for each episode just before they aired.

From Zackleteu to the antagonist of the final episode, it all just felt like it was pulled out of nowhere. Characters changed to accommodate for the necessary plot swerving...

This episode was better than it had any right to be in fairness, it's a pity the series as a whole is a disappointment.

Also, was the NOT supposed to be saying it's not ending, or that it's not continuing? I'm not fussed either way because the underlying mystery means nothing to me because I get the feeling they don't actually know it anyway and will contrive it when necessary.
Dec 23, 2021 8:48 AM

Dec 2018
A fantastic episode that explores the bond between Gugumber and his daughter, who are family, regardless of blood ties.

The battle with the Shibito leader was exciting - almost poignant - and Gugumber's speech to Memenpu was beautiful, it really touched me. He may have a lot of flaws, but Gugumber is truly a big-hearted father <3!

We begin to see part of Memenpu's past, but too many things remain unexplained! Who was that girl in the wheelchair? And the girl with the bob hair and the sword? Where is the place of Memempu's dream? Who is her mother? And Urorop? In one episode you could see that she/he was stalking the group if I'm not mistaken...

Well, all these questions will have to wait for an answer, given the ending, I expect a sequel without a doubt.

I loved Sakugan, I'm so happy to have watched it because it entertained me, but above all, it often touched my heart. I'm a bit sad that it has not been that much well-received, but everyone has its taste and it's free to like what they want ^^.

See you soon, Sakugan<3!
Dec 23, 2021 9:15 AM

Jan 2021
Yeah this show started off promising but slowly became more and more messy. If it focused on one or two main themes without adding 2 boring side characters it would have been much better. IDK this show wasn't that popular even that trash isekai of the guy banging a gorilla had more viewers than this show. But the show seems confident that it will get a second season. So if it does get a second season I'll probably watch it just to see how it ends.
Dec 23, 2021 9:30 AM
Jan 2020
Welp, they really had no idea to finish this. It was genuinely over the place.

Rushed as fuck.
RonninnDec 24, 2021 7:05 PM
Dec 23, 2021 10:21 AM
Mar 2021
PurpleMagic said:
Yeah this show started off promising but slowly became more and more messy. If it focused on one or two main themes without adding 2 boring side characters it would have been much better. IDK this show wasn't that popular even that trash isekai of the guy banging a gorilla had more viewers than this show. But the show seems confident that it will get a second season. So if it does get a second season I'll probably watch it just to see how it ends.

None of the Anime charts from Japan have it ranked top 10 in terms of popularity, so why they think they'd get a 2nd season is beyond me. The show isn't even popular overseas by the looks of it, even with CR backing behind it.
Dec 23, 2021 10:45 AM

Jan 2021
kriissyy12 said:
PurpleMagic said:

None of the Anime charts from Japan have it ranked top 10 in terms of popularity, so why they think they'd get a 2nd season is beyond me. The show isn't even popular overseas by the looks of it, even with CR backing behind it.

Oof that's ruff buddy, they really bit off more than they could chew.
Dec 23, 2021 10:57 AM
Sep 2020
Ah yes, terrorist leader just straight up letting Gagumber and Memempu go, because... because the sappy BG music tugged at his heartstrings, I guess.

Well, what can I say? Looking at the episodes so far, I think the ones about adventuring in the wilderness were easily the best (well, the least bad of all). This show would've been better if it just focused on that, instead of getting bogged down in Colony business.
Havoc_CrowDec 23, 2021 11:28 AM
Dec 23, 2021 11:28 AM

Dec 2015
Has potential. I think there is a lot more to explore to the world/setting - and I wanna see more. Would have given 7 only (7.4 rounded down) if this was the last episode here.

But I interpret the "to be continued" and the "not" that just appears above the "end" as "not" regarding the end. ("not the end").

I guess this will continue. Giving 8/10 and hoping for more ...
Dec 23, 2021 11:32 AM
Nov 2021
Episodes were fun individually but often clashed when viewed cumulatively.
Dec 23, 2021 11:40 AM

Jul 2011
Memempu had some good expressions in this episode.

How acid is Animus really? Seeing how dangerous was said to be certainly I thought Gagumber would lose his feet.

The moment they didnt show the princess face, already looked that would have another season.
Dec 23, 2021 11:41 AM

Jan 2020
Favourite part of the episode was 20:46.
I have no idea why that leader just left Gagumber and Memempu alone. It literally makes no sense.
Overall, this show was average as hell.
Dec 23, 2021 11:59 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I expected way more from this season, really felt empty except for the action scenes but plot-wise nothing truly interesting, anyway it sure needs to continue to maybe expand it for real and finally give more explanations, so it makes sense for how they ended it with the S2 teasing.

It really felt like it had some potential with the world-building and interesting premise (especially with the father - daughter relationship which is not common) but they kinda wasted everything by filling it with a lot of random and uninteresting moments to the point that it just felt episodic except for the final organization - rainbow child plot but still disappoint me even for this part, average anime overall, the kind of 5/10 that I didn't mind much to watch but that I'll forget in some months.
Dec 23, 2021 12:30 PM

May 2021
Great episode! Memempu is a rainbow child- a person who can retain images of her infancy/birth apparently. Gagumba is also not Memempu's real father! I'm happy Memempu was reunited with Gagumba and that was a pretty emotional scene. I'm not really sure why the enemy ended up not taking Memempu with him though-seemed pretty random...

Been a fun show to watch (definitely has its flaws though)-maybe we will get a second season?
AISHITERU...REM!
Dec 23, 2021 12:55 PM

May 2018
My guess is that the final was meant to be a two parter but they rushed it into one episode.
Dec 23, 2021 2:53 PM

Jan 2012
Soooo...has a 2nd season been confirmed then, or is that ending just wishful thinking? Certainly there was no real sense of closure in this finale, unless you wanna count the "not your biological father but still your real father" issue which was just sprung on us at the end of last episode. But even then....I dunno. This series started out with some promise. I was genuinely shocked and saddened by the sudden death of those 2 would-be main characters in the first episode, but as it turns out nothing else in the show hit me that hard. Not even the Zack reveal episode where Gagumba nearly died. If anything it felt rushed. The pacing of this one was all over the place. Plenty of episodes that didn't really advance the plot mixed with ones that did so at best mediocrely. The central focus of the show, the father/daughter relationship of Memempu and Gagumba was...honestly handled just alright. On the whole this wasn't bad enough for me to say I wouldn't watch a second season if it came, but it felt like wasted potential. Perhaps generous, 6/10
animefan8800Dec 23, 2021 2:58 PM
Dec 23, 2021 3:56 PM

Jun 2021
This episode was great, and it had everything I wanted from this series. Good action animation, great BGM and the theme of daughter/father love.

Too bad they waited until episode 12 to do this. If this was like episode 9, it would have been great. Now, we are left here, not knowing if we will actually get a continuation or not.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn out to be another Hoshiai no Sora.
Dec 23, 2021 4:10 PM

Jun 2021
So, couple questions. What makes Memempu so different? Why did the bad guys let Memempu live when their whole goal was to kill her? Why did the bad guy decide to save and keep her so badly, yet was willing to let her stay with Gagumber? What makes Memempu different from other rainbow children? What makes Rainbow Children so bad? What happened to Gagumber that caused him to get hurt in Memempu's flashback? How did the radical Shibito group come about? Why did Gagumber keep quiet about everything? Like I know he wants to protect her and he likes to keep things to himself, but in retrospect, it feels like things were hidden for no reason. Who was Memempu's mom? Who sent Memempu that magic necklace?

Questions in regards to the writing itself: What was the point of adding Yuri and Zackletu to the main cast, when they basically added basically nothing? (They pretty much had to generate a situation in the finale to justify Yuri's involvement.) What was the point of Gagumber's Gale stuff re-activating? Why introduce kaiju as this big threat, then almost never use them again? Why did Memempu want to go to the place where she was sure Gagumber would die?

If there's a season 2 coming, I'm sure most of these will be answered and the unnecessary plot elements will be given purpose. But this show should have been 24 episodes, so it could at least flesh out what it was already working with. I could have waited for another season for some of the mysteries to be solved, but so many things were left half-baked. What we got was a rushed mess. But even if we get a season 2, I'm not interested in following the story further. What we got was horribly executed and borderline incoherent at times.

I can't even say that the heart of the show was the father-daughter relationship, since Memempu was selfish and awful 70% of the time, and Gagumber did most of the emotional heavy lifting.

4/10. I don't even know why this ending pisses me off, since I was continually lowering my expectations after every episode. I guess it's because the show had so much potential and still has some good qualities.
Dec 23, 2021 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
an ending without much plot was mostly a few scenes of the protagonists but nothing much, it seems they won't pay much attention to Memenpu's dream I would like you to have more depth about it I thought the ending was open. 5/10
Dec 23, 2021 4:24 PM

Sep 2017
Sure seems like the want a second season but who knows if they will get one. If they were hoping for one in the begging then why so many horrible paced episodes? Whatever this show was pretty much a huge mess. The few eps where it didn't really take itself seriously it was a decent bit of a fun to watch at least.
Dec 23, 2021 5:23 PM

Sep 2020
The series' best episode also ends with a ''NOT'' that stings like crazy.
I really want to see the rest of the novel animated but who knows if Sakugan will receive a second season.
Dec 23, 2021 7:31 PM
Oct 2007
Exposition blah blah giga drill breaker, lol see you in S2
Dec 23, 2021 8:01 PM

Oct 2016
As I thought, there's gonna be a second season, I think. That not at the end is confusing lmao, but I think it means not the end, and not not to be continued.

I enjoyed the show overall, honestly teared up with the Memempu and Gagumber moment. The show has flaws, but it was still fun. 7/10
Dec 23, 2021 8:14 PM
Sep 2020
Forehead Loli all hail forehead Loli!! Banzai forehead Loli!
Dec 23, 2021 8:30 PM
Mar 2014
Eps 1 & 12 9/10
The rest 5/10

It's such a shame they put 10 mediocre-filler-quality-episodes lol
Dec 23, 2021 8:52 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
First two or so episodes were handled wonderfully. We were introduced to this made-in-abyss-like world powered with gurren-lagann-like energy with what seemed to be a beautiful father-daughter relationship at the forefront, powering the entire show. Unfortunately, they forgot to take a page out of kill la kill's book, so that they DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAYYYYY

It lost its way. It was having an identity crisis, it didn't know what it wanted to be. For the most part it's an episodic series with the group just jumping from one location to the next doing random shit. It was fine, it was mildly entertaining... but unlike made in abyss, there's no real journey, no real end goal in mind. I just wish this had more of a story to serve as a backbone.

And with these last couple episodes it feels like they just threw in this shibito stuff out of nowhere just to randomly spice things up. This season ends with little to no conclusion, expecting us to readily watch the next season when it comes out; if it comes out. I guess they have time to fix some things, it is an anime original after all. I'll be watching the next part to this series, but by no means am I on the edge of my seat waiting for it. I doubt many others even plan to continue to watch this; it's a smaller title than I realized.

Just wish this ended with a little more closure. I guess memempu and gagumber sort of renewing their relationship will have to do. I'm hoping that there will be more focus on said relationship the season to come, even though apparently they're not actually related. Dude kept spitting out "rainbow child" again and again but never explained himself. Guess he wants us to wait for season 2. It was nice of them to leave our main characters alone after intending to kill them. Guess he had a sudden urge to show some mercy. Definitely not plot armor at all.

3/10. Strong start, but ran out of gas real fast, and then skidded out of control and is now wreck. It can still be fixed; but it's going to take a lot of work.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Dec 23, 2021 9:00 PM
May 2016
Ugh what an awful episode. Too bad I really liked the way this show started, now I can care less about it.
Dec 23, 2021 10:08 PM
Oct 2016
kriissyy12 said:
Definitely the disappointment of the season. Thought after the first episode it was going to be a AOTS possibly AOTY contender. However, between the absolute mess of a plot and the worst set of characters of any show this season. This ended up being a clusterf*ck (I don't know MAL censoring works) of mammoth proportions.
Same here. Stayed until the end to see how it went but what a letdown. The show just kept getting worse each episode.
Dec 23, 2021 10:48 PM

Jul 2012
People really dislike this? I thought the last episode made healing a father daughter relationship more important than the typical 'reach the surface' trope they were hinting at from the beginning. The fact the the ending frame is insinuating a season 2 makes it even better. If you were wanting more, you're getting more, so what's the problem?
Dec 24, 2021 1:52 AM

Nov 2019
That ending was so anticlimactic - guys just like, Rainbow girls should not exist but lets Memepu walk away because she cried. very bland story with no emotional buildup to that scene either apart from some cut up clips of Gagumber trying to get her. And the part when they drill down back into the city felt so empty.
Dec 24, 2021 2:08 AM

Nov 2013
I don't get the hate the show is getting. Of course, it isn't the best though-out story ever, but it's not as bad as people make it look.

So, I was right to predict that Memenpu isn't Gagumber's real daughter (biological). Memenpu, just like other "rainbow children" were made artificially; are not really human (maybe cyborgs?). That explains how Memenpu is the smartest kid. That explains why she sees the dream she sees. That explains why she survived the "animus" (toxic waste) pouring on her body in earlier episode.

People don't really pay attention. Most whine about how Memenpu was spared because she cried. Don't forget, the villain guy checked something near Memenpu's ear. It's possible other children have a chip or something there. We don't know much about these children, but it's likely they're void of emotions too, hence why the villain saw more than 1 reason why he should've spared Memenpu.

Think about this logically. If memenpu doesn't look or act like "rainbow children", it is very likely that she's not really one of them. A typical villain may not care and kill her anyway, but it's not rare to see villains with standards.

Anyways. I did enjoy the show, and the ending is promising. I think the word "NOT" was shown over the word "END" precisely, because the story isn't over and will have a continuation. If it indeed does, I expect more details on the rainbow children.
Dec 24, 2021 2:13 AM
Mar 2012
Fun ending with gang as heros & criminals. Finally a nicer moment between dad & daughter.
Even last episode all the worldbuilding & main elements kept too vague. Probably most disappointing, wasted potential mecha this season. Many annoying scum characters. A few good character moments & episodes, and consistent good mech fights.
The excessive silliness in the journey became a minus as it dragged to filler feel. Example of smaller doze of silliness helps liven the show is Gyakuten, also a mecha.

Dec 24, 2021 7:41 AM

Aug 2018
I sure do hope there’s a second season.
Dec 24, 2021 7:50 AM

Jun 2021
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

People don't really pay attention. Most whine about how Memenpu was spared because she cried. Don't forget, the villain guy checked something near Memenpu's ear. It's possible other children have a chip or something there. We don't know much about these children, but it's likely they're void of emotions too, hence why the villain saw more than 1 reason why he should've spared Memenpu.

Think about this logically. If memenpu doesn't look or act like "rainbow children", it is very likely that she's not really one of them. A typical villain may not care and kill her anyway, but it's not rare to see villains with standards.

A good show would explain this better. What actually made her different and what the bad guy was checking her for. Or gone into detail about the rainbow children, the very thing this plot hinges on. There's extrapolating information based on what you see (which we can do for some of the plot developments), and there's needing to write a headcanon to explain things because the show didn't bother to. We could see where they might be going with their ideas, but they actually have to show it.
Dec 24, 2021 8:15 AM

Feb 2012
Ah, so Memempu was essentially a test tube baby, genetically engineered to be smarter. These are what Shibito call the rainbow children. They are the princesses, right? So Sina is also a rainbow child?

Gagumber was badly injured when he was in that place in Memempu's infancy so I think Memempu's mother (who is likely the mother of all the rainbow children) took pity on him and gave him Memempu to raise. f Gagumber hadn't received her, Memempu would've grown up using her intelligence as the bureau intended.

Shibito oppose the system and thus they oppose the princesses/rainbow children used by the system to assert their authority.

The male Shibito terrorist checked behind Mememp's right ear for something, I think she was spared by Shibito because even though she is a rainbow child in origin, she no longer meets the requirements to be a princess.

Gagumber stopping the Sibito suicide bomber lol

Damn, I hope this gets a season 2.
Fortress_MaximusDec 24, 2021 8:19 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 24, 2021 8:46 AM
May 2021
That was fun. Better than alot of other anime this year.
Dec 24, 2021 8:53 AM

Jan 2014
Really enjoyed it, even if it got a little weird as it went along, but in terms of an overall show, was quite decent for me.
Dec 24, 2021 9:23 AM

Sep 2020
So did you read guys read it as ''TO BE CONTINUED - NOT END'' or ''TO BE CONTINUED NOT - END''?
Former implies a second season coming at some point while latter implies conclusive end.
AvveniristaDec 24, 2021 9:27 AM
Dec 24, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 2015
Pretty mediocre show overall. Isn't horrible but pretty meh in every aspect.
Dec 24, 2021 11:31 AM

Feb 2014
I had to laugh at the episode title with the "NOT" added to it, although it does give the implication that a second season could happen. If it does, then I'm all for it. =)

The final episode itself was still good, as it had Gagumber showing how far he would go in order to save and protect Memempu from harm and their reunion was pretty touching. At least they got the job done, although his group is now not the run from Merooro's bureaucracy due to the damage they caused.

Overall, I will have to say that I enjoyed my time watching this series. The skewered pacing and production values, despite a well-produced 1st and last episode, was hit and miss a lot and held back the potential that Sakugan had, but it was still a fun ride while it lasted. The OP song still remains one of my favourites this season, though. =)
Dec 24, 2021 3:32 PM

Nov 2012
I hope the story was told better in the source material. The storytelling was rushed and disconnected. I have questions that, judging from the big red 'not' at the end, will go unanswered.

I would've liked it more if Memempu had of been more likable. It had some very creative ideas and I adore the "feel" and look of their world, but the only thing I'll truly miss is the ot. And I won't change my mind. No matter what you saaayuh. No matter what you saaayuh. No matter what you saaayuh. No matter what I saaaaaay!
Dec 24, 2021 4:13 PM
Jul 2008
Terrorist: Rainbow Children cannot be allowed to exists!
Gagumber jumped into poison water and cry togther with the said child(bonus snorting).
Terrorist: Welp I guess they're good now.

Seriously I don't understand what's the point of the terrorist 'imprisoning' Memempu in that tube and waiting for her father to come.

Same thing with Zack, after she fought with Gagumber, Zack is just like: "Welp we already fought to the death, we good now".
Zack didn't get more information from him, neither apology, she placed many bomb traps which obviously intended to kill him, so why they're good now?

After the shocking death on earlier episodes, the anime just went downhill.
Dec 24, 2021 7:03 PM
Jun 2021
Ronninn said:
Welp, they really had no idea to finish this. It was genuinely over the place.

Anime Originals get it this hard huh.. 5/10.

This is based on a novel. It is NOT an anime original.
Dec 25, 2021 11:04 AM

May 2016
i downgraded it from a 6 to a 5 cause that shit last episode.
Dec 25, 2021 5:25 PM

Jun 2016
What a strange show we got:
Two nice episodes in the start
Two nice episodes in the end
Disappointment in between
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

51 by Talamare »»
Jun 17, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

113 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:09 AM

» Will there be a second season?

LovelyTekki - Dec 27, 2021

5 by Ionliosite2 »»
Mar 13, 2023 12:36 PM

» yay or nay

Wlad- - Feb 8, 2019

33 by PulpoPol »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:50 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

39 by Titadou »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.