Forum Settings
Forums

What the fuck happened to the anime community?

New
Mar 5, 2021 3:06 AM

Mar 2019
Anime fans used to be cool. They used to don fedoras, openly worship Japan, use Japanese words in the middle of English conversations, carry their body pillows around in public, and took shit from no one. I love anime fans like that. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that most anime fans are not the cool rebel outcasts I thought they were but in-fact most were self-loathing people who are desperate for mainstream acceptance and shame the people who built our community and made it a cool place because apparently having some personality is "embarrassing."

Nowadays, the true anime fans are a minority in their own community. People who make positive statements about Japan get pounced on by those desperate to be seen as normal. Our community has been taken over by poseurs who have destroyed most of what made the anime community special to begin with. I am proud to consider myself a true, original weeaboo. When you look at this photo below, you should feel admiration and pride in your heart. If you don't feel that way, you are not a true anime fan.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 5, 2021 3:13 AM
Dec 2020
Ok............................
Deathlydash
Mar 5, 2021 3:21 AM

Nov 2016
Stunning and brave indeed

30 characters count limit
Mar 5, 2021 3:22 AM

Jul 2019
Now you're exaggerating. lmao The poseurs you're talking about are just a vocal minority, fortunately.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Mar 5, 2021 3:23 AM

Feb 2021
What the hell did I just read man....

⸢ if you meet your god,
tell him to leave me alone. ⸥

ベルセルク
Mar 5, 2021 3:27 AM

Sep 2020
Understandable have a nice day 🤝🤝
Mar 5, 2021 3:27 AM

Aug 2017
Japan is better than my own country.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 5, 2021 3:28 AM

Jun 2012
Sure, but what are we going to do when everyone's applying 30 filters of irony to protect themselves from their own feelings and interests.
Mar 5, 2021 3:29 AM

Oct 2010
what a strong grip, that guy really loves his pillow
Mar 5, 2021 3:29 AM

Aug 2019
yeah yeah Japan number 1 any other country is bad yay go anime
Mar 5, 2021 3:33 AM

Nov 2016
And they hated him because he told them the truth.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 5, 2021 3:33 AM

Apr 2017
Kirino body pillow, good taste my dude.
cunnysseur
Mar 5, 2021 3:34 AM

Jan 2009
err ye cool story bro im an anime fan since the 1990s and i do not know what the hell are you talking about lol
Mar 5, 2021 3:37 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Nice one ma dude, ur presence should be a motivation to other anime fans

Mar 5, 2021 3:40 AM

Apr 2015
I remain unsure if this is a joke post.
Mar 5, 2021 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
I wish it were a troll topic, but I sadly know that this isn't one ... btw these guys are some of the most uninteresting and self-loathing guys out there in reality.

I really liked a lot of cosplayers, artists at cons and co so far a lot. They are mostly interesting and open-minded and empathic people.
Met my best friends there. There are definitely a lot of very nice and interesting people in the anime community.

But such fedora weebs are just "UwU all women meeean to me! I wish society were like my non existent fantasy-image of Japan!"
I'm quite lucky that I only met only a handful so far and all of them were some of the most uninteresting and whiniest people I know, if I'm honest and had in reality the mindsets and interests of your average macho-guy. Not people I'd spend time with.
removed-userMar 5, 2021 3:50 AM
Mar 5, 2021 3:48 AM

Aug 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I wish it were a troll topic, but I sadly know that this isn't one ...

Are you certain? It reads exactly like one to me.
Mar 5, 2021 3:49 AM

Aug 2009
Frankly I was expecting something political, but looking back at weebs going full weeb is oddly comforting.

Mar 5, 2021 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
Furl said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I wish it were a troll topic, but I sadly know that this isn't one ...

Are you certain? It reads exactly like one to me.

I know about his other posts and his mindset, so yeah. 😅
Mar 5, 2021 3:52 AM

Oct 2010
dude, why the hell do you wave a fidesz banner on your profile? I though we didn't have those guys on mal, do you love orban viktor that much?
Mar 5, 2021 3:57 AM

Aug 2018
Tylaen said:

According to the guy's profile then apparently not...
Mar 5, 2021 3:59 AM

Apr 2015
Furl said:
Tylaen said:

According to the guy's profile then apparently not...
Well, him being a right-wing nut doesn't necessarily mean that he's a walking weeb stereotype but I see your point.
Mar 5, 2021 4:00 AM

Apr 2020
what in the actual fuck are you on about
Mar 5, 2021 4:03 AM

Feb 2019
That pillow looks good, i need one like that
Mar 5, 2021 4:11 AM
May 2020
Apparently, a guardian has been summoned to keep the gate safe from the outsiders.
Mar 5, 2021 4:14 AM

Jun 2015

agree man. LET ANIME FANS STAY ANIME FANS
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Mar 5, 2021 4:14 AM

Apr 2017
The only thing I will concede is that we have a lot more self-loathing people in the anime-watching community going by how popular a certain anime is despite how unlikely that would have been had it come out years ago.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Mar 5, 2021 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
lol what the actual fuck is this???¿
Mar 5, 2021 4:22 AM

Dec 2020
Yeah, we don't have real otaku like these brave men

What a sad world we live in...

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Mar 5, 2021 4:22 AM
May 2019
Sorry to burst your bubble but the people you are talking about are minority and Nope I don't want to be a weeaboo, I'm just a simple anime fan, Watching anime is just my hobby, I'm not super Obsessed with it and I don't admire Japanese and want to live there and blah blah, I have few anime merchandise but I'm not stupid enough to take a body pillow and roam in public because seriously that's creepy and weird as hell.
Mar 5, 2021 4:26 AM

Aug 2018
I don't know.. I think there is some truth to it, and with some things I don't agree.. Like indeed anime fan can have some personality - why not?.. If you wanna be chuuni or whatever - green light to you, I think.. If that's truly, what you wanna do..
Also, anime community often doesn't seek to be mainstream.. Anime community often shits on mainstream anime, really..
Also, in the end, if you have peculiar tastes or something, like wanting to carry around bodypillow or something.. Don't you doing so - don't actually expect to be accepted by mainstream?.. Feel alright with people judging you, if they judge you.. Even in anime community you'll find people, who will support people with body pillows, and who will not.. Nowadays there are cardboard communities, for example.. Who take their cardboard with waifus everywhere.. And make photos of themselves.. So there is still community like this existing.. But also be fine really that not whole anime community will like one things or another.. Not whole community will like mainstream anime, not whole will like niche anime, not whole will like bodypillow, not whole will dislike bodypillows.. Maybe, in the end, I'd just advice you to hang out more in communities, who do so.. And abandon mainstream social places, like facebook or whatever.. Visit reddit places for that, or whereever else, really.. People are still there, who like this kind of stuff, really.. But to expect of majority to like something?.. I don't think peculiar things were accepted before as well, like bodypillows, or whatever.. You know many old anime fans, who were alright about it before?.. I'm not too sure.. In the end, I'd advice to just hang out with communities you like, and that's all.. Mainstream social places weren't ever fans of bodypillows or stuff, in these places you unfortunately more often won't find people.. Well, sometimes you will.. When it's not voting place, with likes and stuff..
Mar 5, 2021 4:39 AM

Jan 2021
what blasphemy you have committed, with using a fucking OREIMO body pillow of all things.
truly shameful. any other body pillow and i would have been ecstatic.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Mar 5, 2021 5:02 AM

Aug 2020
honestly i dont even know what to say...

♥️ 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽 ♥️

“𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮, 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪, 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓲𝓭.” – 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪 𝓐𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓴𝓪

Mar 5, 2021 5:10 AM
Jul 2020
West. It's West and its politics. Every form of show has to be politicised according to them. I also consider China responsible as well. It won't be long before China corrupts the whole anime market. Mark my words. Same thing happened to the gaming market as well. And besides, TENCENT is already on the move.
Mar 5, 2021 5:17 AM

Jan 2017
Sure dude, whatever makes you feel better. Is this simultaneous bitching and grandstanding some weird cry for help or something? I find it somewhat amusing that you would proclaim that anyone who isn't a complete weirdo isn't an anime fan when most of them have probably seen a lot more actual anime than you have, even if they don't own a body pillow.
Mar 5, 2021 5:19 AM

Apr 2020
Someone give this man a dose of reality, I believe they call it red pills or something
Mar 5, 2021 5:19 AM

Jul 2020
Rudolfpikel said:
Sure dude, whatever makes you feel better. Is this simultaneous bitching and grandstanding some weird cry for help or something? I find it somewhat amusing that you would proclaim that anyone who isn't a complete weirdo isn't an anime fan when most of them have probably seen a lot more actual anime than you have, even if they don't own a body pillow.
Its obviously a joke post damn are you that angry ??? 💀💀

Mar 5, 2021 5:23 AM

Jan 2017
IPFdomain said:
Its obviously a joke post damn are you that angry ??? 💀💀

No, I'm just somewhat incredulous and somewhat morbidly amused. Also, knowing what I know of this user, despite how ridiculous it may seem, I honestly don't think it's a joke post.
Mar 5, 2021 5:24 AM
Feb 2021
The weeb holding the body pillow is probably a masochist
Mar 5, 2021 5:26 AM

Jul 2020
Kaasfondue said:
Someone give this man a dose of reality, I believe they call it red pills or something

Nah, it's called blackpills, and I don't think OP wants any of that...
Mar 5, 2021 5:28 AM

Dec 2020
Believe it or not, these unscrupulous fans still exist.

Mar 5, 2021 5:29 AM

Mar 2019
The only goos thing from OP comment is that Kirino body pillow

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Mar 5, 2021 5:30 AM

Apr 2020
NewYearSameMe said:
Kaasfondue said:

Nah, it's called blackpills, and I don't think OP wants any of that...
Oh whatever, he needs the whole rainbow anyway
Mar 5, 2021 5:31 AM

Dec 2018
It grew up. It’s as simple as that believe it or not.
Mar 5, 2021 5:33 AM

Nov 2016
Wtf?
With all respect my personal opinion is that people like you are actually spoiling the Anime community even though I kinda agree with you.
Hardcore weebs became kinda rare but I most definitely do not think that this is a necessity to be an anime fan.
I mean hell nah I do not feel pride at all when I look at that photo and I honestly hope that you are not being real on that. But I still think that these people are mostly likeable and nice and ever since Anime is getting more mainstream many toxic people joined the community. And toxic people are the kind of people who insist on their completely irrelevant opinion, spreading negative vibes, comparing animeverses etc.
And with that thread you kinda give me the feel that you are one of them. Please let everyone enjoy their shows and don't be toxic about their personalities.
If you are looking for someone like the guy in the pic go to an anime convention. There are more than enough people like that.
Mar 5, 2021 5:34 AM
Star☆Twinkle

Oct 2018
Really exposing us anime fans. I am honestly speechless.
Mar 5, 2021 5:36 AM

Feb 2020
This radiates copypasta energy. I kinda agree.

...But there's certainly a difference between 'I love anime and am very proud of that' and 'I'm an insufferable POS and anime is my entire personality'
pls play jet set radio future for the microsoft xbox. thanks
Mar 5, 2021 6:00 AM

Nov 2013
If you start to dress up in a way that looks pathetic after becoming an anime fan, then that means the anime community you're having contact with is not having good effects in your mind, or that you're very stupid.
And, generally speaking, I really don't think that the anime itself is to be blamed for it. Any normal adult has the ability to recognize that adults are supposed to dress up properly, and not supposed to go out with a Naruto themed shirt, for example, which does not change the fact that watching Naruto may be a good thing for an adult to develop his imagination. One just has to be able to filter what from each anime series should or not be imitated or used as a reference for him to improve the way he behaves and dresses up in real life.
Watching Fate/Zero to wake up the desire to dress up as elegantly as Toosaka Tokiomi, for example, is perfectly fine.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 5, 2021 6:13 AM
Jul 2020
Salute to you soldier, you're the last one standing
Mar 5, 2021 6:22 AM

Sep 2011
Well that's certainly an opinion and a half. Moving on...

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - May 11

36 by Zzzz10 »»
9 minutes ago

» is being possessive of an anime, a symbol of ur attachment to it?

BerriesSan - 43 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
13 minutes ago

» What is the greatest disguise ever?

SgtBateMan - Today

22 by zombie_pegasus »»
28 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

31 by k4rlo »»
42 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1038 by heatguyj »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.