Forum Settings
Forums

Do you really consider yourself to be an anime fan even though you pirate animes?

New
Oct 28, 2020 1:23 AM

Jul 2020
I've been an anime fan for quite sometime now.I always pirate anime whenever I want to watch it but now that I think about it I don't really deserve that title because I haven't even supported the creator of that show. How can I call myself an anime fan of I haven't supported to the creators of the show that I like?
What about you guys? Do you consider yourself an anime fan even if you pirate animesb and do not support the creators?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 28, 2020 1:32 AM

Mar 2020
I pirate some and some I watch on Netflix, but it really doesn’t matter.
It’s the same principal if you play a free game and don’t spend any money in it, the support is there no matter if it’s financial.
Oct 28, 2020 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
yes I do consider myself a fan , its not my fault Crunchyrll and funimation aren't available in my country but I am making an effort of getting actual volumes of manga and have found an exclusive Indian anime merchandise site and am deciding to get some stuff from there so that might be considered support to the industry
Oct 28, 2020 1:37 AM

Nov 2018
There's no reason to force yourself to watch anime legally other than "it's moral". I would rather pirate anime on a website that has everything available rather than having to buy 10 different subscriptions for different streaming services. Illegal streaming is pretty much the best way to get into anime (for beginners especially), and they can often provide better service to people than legal sites funnily enough.

You can support creators by word of mouth, which is quite easy and free to do.
_cjessop19_Oct 28, 2020 1:44 AM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 28, 2020 1:37 AM

Feb 2020
Well I guess to call yourself an anime fan you just have to like and watch anime. So you’re basically a fan but not a good fan.

But pirating... it’s like going to restaurant and leave without paying. Restaurant might just close down if people continue doing that. Same goes for anime studios. Not enough sales might result in the anime getting cancelled.
Oct 28, 2020 1:38 AM
Jun 2020
I don't consider myself an anime fan, I'm more of an Otaku. I've bought a Dakimakura.
Oct 28, 2020 1:47 AM

May 2020
Yeah. Pirating isn't moral and definitely wrong and so on and so forth, but at the end of the day, its practically impossible to watch every single anime and read every manga/novel I want to through legal means.

I mean I could try if I wanted to... but I'm cheap, so I'll take my ticket to hell(I do eventually plan on giving back as much as I can later, when my bank balance isn't tending towards zero....which will happen....probably....I hope.).
Oct 28, 2020 1:51 AM

Nov 2016
I supported Oda, don't care about supporting streaming companies I can't stand.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 28, 2020 2:04 AM

Feb 2019
I support muse asia and ani-one
Crunchyroll,funimation, and other streaming sites is available for my country
So i can't or i won't support them
I love watching anime, i don't consider myself as a big anime fan or something
Oct 28, 2020 2:10 AM

Oct 2010
who cares about legal streaming, you can always donate to the original creators, they have their adresses made public, just look at how much money kyoani made after the fire incident (they gave it to the families but still). you can go to the studio's website and try to buy something original from them, some mangaka have pixiv accounts, you can donate there. legal streaming is a conspiracy from the youtubers, they get money from CR and the like to talk about it. you are an anime fan if you go straight to the source.
Oct 28, 2020 2:16 AM

May 2018
You give your money to mere speculators. It doesn't help anime industry lot.
Also, imagine that you have a friend and he owns a dvd which you are interested in. What would you do, go and buy another same dvd or just borrow it from your friend?
My credo as a pirate is that pirate sites are my friends who borrow me their dvds :D

Oct 28, 2020 2:37 AM

Sep 2018
Would you consider yourself a part of Jojo fandom if you were there only for memes?
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 28, 2020 2:40 AM

Oct 2020
that's the evidence of being an anime fan
OBAMOS
Oct 28, 2020 3:26 AM

Jan 2010
I don't judge people for watching anime without paying for it.
I judge people who spend money on bootlegs and illegal sites instead of paying for official releases.

Oct 28, 2020 3:42 AM

Dec 2019
i have and always will pirate anime cuz none of the anime streaming sites work in my country and crunchyroll is shit anyways, i do have a few manga of my fav anime
Only you know what you've seen, heard and felt, someone else's opinion is irrelevant.

-Kurenai, Deca Dence
Oct 28, 2020 3:52 AM

Apr 2017
@Scordolo, yes I am an anime fan and so are you, don't buy into that moral high ground gatekeeping bullshit. Plenty of countries can't access legal streaming services and the selection they offer usually focuses on newer or most popular stuff. Not everybody wants to watch only those things. I want to pick whatever I want at the time off my list and know I have a way to watch it, rather than wondering if I can. Besides, Western streaming services basically give nothing back to the creators anyway. The harsh reality here is if you want to support anime, buy the merch. But collecting is, unfortunately a very expensive hobby, which also includes other investments like shelving, cleaning products and physically having the space to display what you have, so not everyone can afford it. No need to feel so bad, just watch anime, my dude (or lady).
Oct 28, 2020 3:55 AM

Mar 2014
I think it's a problem of availability. If we had access to more DVDs or BLU-RAYs, some of us probably would buy them. I personally bought a lot of anime DVDs myself and would have bought more if I had the opportunity.
Oct 28, 2020 3:59 AM

Mar 2015
You don't need to spend money on something to be considered a fan.
Oct 28, 2020 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
Crunchyroll not available in my country, I ain't paying shit. But if I get enough income and move to a more stable country, I'm for sure gonna support the business. For now, though, I'm reading Re:ZERO's WN which is absolutely free. You don't even need to pay a cent to experience this masterpiece while you have to pay $10 to watch the shitty anime adaptation of it, what a ripoff.
Oct 28, 2020 4:11 AM

Jul 2020
Being a fan is being a fan. Support or no support. No offense to OP but you only think these kind of things when you have a bit of misplaced sense of morality. If it wasn't for the pirate sites, anime would never have grown this much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2020 4:18 AM

Feb 2020
I didn't know being an anime fan was such a prestigious title to have, i've only watched pirated anime, I would watch legally if I could but i'm not in the best place financially currently

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Oct 28, 2020 4:32 AM

Oct 2017
how else am i suppose to watch anime for free?
Oct 28, 2020 4:45 AM

Nov 2017
Mirai said:
You don't need to spend money on something to be considered a fan.

yes! as a fan of Manchester United I've never bought their merch or a match ticket...

if I told you that pirates who "pirate" a lot also buy a lot (DVD, merch, manga, subscribing, LN)? maybe they buy more than "100% legallers"... although they weren't even the main target for the anime... the main butthurt comes from dubbing actors and western distributors xD

Stay gold!
ι­”ζ³•γ‚ˆι­”ζ³•γ‚ˆη”ŸγΎγ‚Œγ¦γŠγ„γ§οΌ
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Oct 28, 2020 4:52 AM

Feb 2018
I'm not rich and anime is quite expensive. I can't subscribe to 10 streaming sites and buy every anime or manga.
But without "pirating" i wouldnt even watch anime because i couldn't and because of that i wouldn't pay for stuff i can and want to.

For example i would never buy an Anime without knowing if it's worth my money. But i like to buy merch, anime and manga of things i really enjoyed. So even if it's not that much, i add something for the studios and creator. Without pirating, i wouldn't.
Oct 28, 2020 4:57 AM

Jul 2020
Scordolo said:
I've been an anime fan for quite sometime now.I always pirate anime whenever I want to watch it but now that I think about it I don't really deserve that title because I haven't even supported the creator of that show. How can I call myself an anime fan of I haven't supported to the creators of the show that I like?
What about you guys? Do you consider yourself an anime fan even if you pirate animesb and do not support the creators?

for me,,, sites like crnchyrll and fnmation isnt available and im too lazy to whip out a vpn everytime i want to watch something (not to mention internet is rlly slow when i use it) so i mainly support creators by buying official manga and official merhandise of the franchise i like
Hello! Finally introducing, Loona!
Oct 28, 2020 5:02 AM

Sep 2018
All it takes to be a fan of something is to experience it so I would say yeah. I would call myself stingy thiugh most of my money goes to my college loans.
Oct 28, 2020 5:07 AM

Jun 2016
ζ΅·θ³ŠηŽ‹γ«, γŠγ‚Œγ―γͺγ‚‹!!!
Oct 28, 2020 5:09 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Legal streaming sites are not available in my country (Crunchy has a few shows available but not many) but I do buy merch, so at least that's some money to that direction.
Oct 28, 2020 5:12 AM

Dec 2019
I'm still a fan even if i pirate everything I just dont want to support Crunchyroll or Funimation ill support oda when i get the money
Oct 28, 2020 5:15 AM

Jun 2015
I pirate anime because no streaming site has the stuff I actually want to watch. Unless Crunchyroll somehow digs up a bunch of anime lost to time and exclusively put it on their service, I ain't paying them jack.

Pirating also allows me to be more selective with what series I actually want to support financially. I'll torrent a show and then if I like it enough I'll probably get some merchandise of it at some point. I've amassed a pretty huge collection of stuff, so I'm probably contributing more to the industry than most people, ironically enough.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Oct 28, 2020 5:16 AM
Oct 2011
Every study I've seen on the topic actually shows pirating increases net sales. Turns out there are a few types of watchers.
People who will pay to watch.
People who watch because it's free.
People who would pay to watch but don't because there's a free alternative.
And people who will buy the official release because they watched it for free.
Turns out the last group is far larger than the second to last.
Oct 28, 2020 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
Some things are just out of people's control financially. I can't afford to pay for a plan to watch the anime I like on streaming sites at this time. So the only way I can see them is looking for websites where I can watch them for free. I don't think not being able to support the creator makes you less of a fan. You still appreciate their work. You just have certain constraints that prevent you from supporting the author. I think once I'm able to find a job that gives me consistent and sufficient pay, I'll be able to pay to watch the anime I like.
Oct 28, 2020 5:19 AM

Sep 2020
Yes I would, I like to pirate my pirate animu of One Piece.
Oct 28, 2020 6:40 AM

Apr 2020
As long as you watch anime you are an anime fan. I think that i'm still an anime fan even though I pirate anime sometimes if it's not on crunchyroll. But i've been thinking of bying some figures that can fill up my desk but not so sure about that.
Wanna play 8-ball?
Oct 28, 2020 6:56 AM

Oct 2014
Legal watching doesn't really support the creators much more than pirating anyway. Pachinko, a form of gambling, brings more money into the anime industry than the entirety of the Western world. We are negligible no matter what we do, so you might as well just continue enjoying in the way that you want to. If you're a fan of anime then you're an anime fan, that's all there is to it.
Oct 28, 2020 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn't really matter. If you love watching anime you can call yourself a fan.
Oct 28, 2020 7:00 AM
Jul 2018
In the 80s-90s, millions of Europeans paid a license fee so TV stations could operate and invest on kids entertainment and license and import anime as well. Similar situation in other continents anime was popular. Anime producers and distributors are the last to complain about piracy
Oct 28, 2020 7:02 AM

Dec 2015
Just because you're watching anime illegal does that really mean I and we don't support the industry ?
That's more how the question should be asked.

When people is finding something they love a lot of people out there in the world buys figurens, starts playing their gacha game, starts buying the manga, starts buying mousepads, starts buying shirts with the characters etc.

Thanks to illegal streaming site exist, people find things they love and a lot of people starts supporting them in one way or another in the end. If they truly love the serie.

That's to Kissanime I'm no in posesion of of Figurens worth 350->450 USD each.
1.5k + volumes of manga.
Playing 2x gacha games.
I bough a huge amount of DvD's and games.

I would never have bough this things if I was watching anime legally as the shows I love would be hard to find on the legally streaming site at the point of time when I become a fan of them.

People that are saying illegal streaming site is bad for the community is re*arded

Oct 28, 2020 7:10 AM

Aug 2010
Of course, the way you consume the medium doesn't affect if you love anime or not. It's same with every other hobby. It's more of if you support industry or not and if it's moral or not. People in some countries don't even have a choice in this matter because industry is nonexistent and some are even bound by the language barrier because not everyone speaks English so... yeah.
Oct 28, 2020 9:46 AM
Jul 2020
I pirate anime because all the legal streaming services are horrendously slow and ridiculously expensive (for me at least lol). Besides, I buy physical copies of mangas that I enjoy; which is much better than to contribute to a scam lol.
Oct 28, 2020 9:53 AM

Jul 2016
If you ever feel like you need to support the creators directly you can always buy licensed merch/manga/blue-rays from official sites/stores. Legal streaming sites only give a tiny tiny fraction of their earnings back to Japan anyways.
Oct 28, 2020 9:55 AM

Nov 2007
the anime industry is a joke. if you stream legally you are benefiting the studios, the publishers, the distributors, the streaming services. the people actually making the anime get shit pay either way. it is not on the consumer to fear for the wellbeing of the artists we care about. the fact that artists are mistreated, undervalued and underpaid in every industry has nothing to do with consumers, pirating, or sites that offer paid content for free.
Oct 28, 2020 9:57 AM

Mar 2017
The majority of my anime watching is done legally. This includes Hulu, Netflix, stuff borrowed from friends or the library, and sometimes YouTube. If I like something enough and the price is right, I'll buy the Blu-Ray or DVD. That said, if there's something I want to watch and it's not readily available by one of my usual means, I have no qualms about pirating it. In some cases it's something that's never been licensed in this country or is an older work that's out of print and isn't on any streaming service, and is not available by any practical means except by pirating.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Oct 28, 2020 10:02 AM

Jan 2008
Yes of course you're still a fan. I pay for most of my anime but the ones that are not available on those subscriptions I will watch elsewhere.
Oct 28, 2020 10:04 AM

Aug 2014
I mean, I buy manga of stuff I like when I can since I'm piss poor. I just watch however I want, I don't give a damn what would people call me for it.
Oct 28, 2020 10:06 AM

May 2020
i bought some JoJo figurines can i be an anime fan?Lmfao
Oct 28, 2020 10:12 AM

Oct 2019
If I didn't pirate then I wouldn't have seen Clannad which is my favourite anime and isn't on any streaming service in my country. But I'll buy manga and merch and watch whatever anime is on Netflix.
Oct 28, 2020 10:27 AM

Mar 2012
I only turn to pirating if Muse Asia, Ani-One or Crunchyroll doesn't have what I'm looking for. Not a good excuse but between pirating and never watching at all I'll go with the former. For manga again I mostly read from official sources and buy whenever possible but I do pirate as well since at this point I don't have the money to buy each and every manga volume, once I get a well paying job I'll switch to buying whatever I want to read. And yes I consider myself as an anime fan.
Oct 28, 2020 11:31 AM

Oct 2019
When all anime apps are ass-backwards its more convenient To use kissanime. It’s funny that illegal anime sites have better interface And load time than crunchyroll. I spent well over 30 minutes waiting for an AOT episode to load on my tv. I switched to kissanime and I was watching it in 5 minutes.
Oct 28, 2020 1:24 PM

Nov 2019
i try to watch everything legally when i can, but sometimes it's just not available on any streaming services. there's nothing i can do about it. being an anime fan isn't a title you pay for imo it just means you like to watch anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which is the correct anime posture?

SgtBateMan - 2 minutes ago

0 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga? ( 1 2 )

Phantomnocomics - Jun 8

70 by Blackfire2340 »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite English Dub VA and Their Best Performance

Jackof-allspades - 43 minutes ago

8 by UkRs »»
8 minutes ago

» A character who is impossible to love? ( 1 2 )

torsan88 - Jun 6

50 by PeripheralVision »»
10 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

80 by CurrentlyReading »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.