Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 7, 2020 8:11 AM
Feb 2020
Blue_Flame18 said:
Alright then, time to find out if the animation will finally improve
Yep, lets see if Production I.G will bless us or buther the whole franchise
Mar 7, 2020 8:13 AM
Feb 2020
Retolee said:
This episode really showed off a lot of the problems with the art and animation this season. A lot of not moving and off model shots, and this was supposed to hype us up for the tournament finally starting,
Yep, most of the character models were off and the detail in art looked like a general seasonal school anime for some reason
Mar 7, 2020 11:35 AM

Jul 2016
Oh God, the hype is real. The Nationals are finally here!

Great build-up episode. Literally can't wait for the boys' first match!
Mar 7, 2020 11:59 AM

Mar 2012
Yooo, they made an orchestra version of the opening for essentially the Nationals introduction! That's sooo neat!

As a manga reader, I will just say get ready for an exhilarating ride on the hype train... though the main brunt of it will come in the second cour. D: Regardless, HYPE!
Mar 7, 2020 1:57 PM

Apr 2012
Every time i finish an episode of Haikyuu I want it to be next week.
Every god damn time.
I love this anime!
Mar 7, 2020 3:49 PM

Dec 2016
Nishinoya never cease to amaze me with his fantasies XD lol and also Tanaka.

I'm getting very curious about Shimizu's scars >> I wonder how it looks like...

Playing the opening song in orchestra mode while all teams entered the court was a very nice touch! ^^

Nice episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 7, 2020 5:05 PM

Jun 2015
SleepySnowSpirit said:
Not a bad start to the season, let’s get hyped for the 2nd ep next week!!

They should've released it as OVAs if they were going to make it 5 episodes long. Maybe then we could have some decent animation (?)
Mar 7, 2020 9:14 PM
Apr 2016
Perrito said:
SleepySnowSpirit said:
Not a bad start to the season, let’s get hyped for the 2nd ep next week!!

They should've released it as OVAs if they were going to make it 5 episodes long. Maybe then we could have some decent animation (?)

That makes no sense. You missed the entire point of the first few eps which are a good chunk of Hinata and Kageyama's character arcs. and if that happens y'all are just gonna complain about how it's "out of nowhere" when karasuno suddenly gets power-ups in nationals. There are a shit ton of moments later on that refer back to that arc and will not make sense if it was cut.

I'm pretty sure it's because you guys watched it weekly and didn't binge it. I don't see the same comments about the Season 2 training arc which didn't have any matches for many episodes either.
Mar 7, 2020 9:18 PM
Jan 2016
Only one word...Goosebumps..
Mar 8, 2020 1:53 AM

Nov 2018
after all this time i just came to realize that the color scheme really is exceptionally beautiful
Mar 8, 2020 5:43 AM

Feb 2012
Shealyna said:
Spring Tournament! Let's gooo!!
Can't wait for next episode!

By the way, why was Noya's uniform black??

It's just for the opening ceremony, I guess it looks better. All the liberos were wearing the same uniform as the other players in their teams.
Mar 8, 2020 6:19 AM

Nov 2013
this has been by far the dullest installment of haikyuu, i seriously hope it gets better from here. also some of the characters look weird as fuck half the time now
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 8, 2020 7:06 AM
Mar 2020
I like the fact that after season three, they gave us the opportunity to see how they prepare mentally and physically and how their connections with other teams develop. Also the fact, that all of them are fighting and try to read h a higher place than they already are.

I like this episode, not one of my favorites, but we got to see the whole team outside of the gym. The creators remind us that they have a life besides volleyball, and now stronger than ever, they will enter court for the nationals. I'm super super excited to see what is coming.
Mar 8, 2020 7:45 AM

Oct 2009
Kyouko♥
That is all. 10/10
Mar 8, 2020 10:05 AM
Feb 2020
Tsukizono said:
Perrito said:

That makes no sense. You missed the entire point of the first few eps which are a good chunk of Hinata and Kageyama's character arcs. and if that happens y'all are just gonna complain about how it's "out of nowhere" when karasuno suddenly gets power-ups in nationals. There are a shit ton of moments later on that refer back to that arc and will not make sense if it was cut.

I'm pretty sure it's because you guys watched it weekly and didn't binge it. I don't see the same comments about the Season 2 training arc which didn't have any matches for many episodes either.
But at least Season 2 traning ark had good animation and great pacing with a great Director working on it.
Mar 8, 2020 12:55 PM

Mar 2010
Ennoshita: Kageyama, where are you going?!
Kageyama: I'm going for a jog.

Next episode:
Mar 8, 2020 3:01 PM
Mar 2019
I caught something off with Nishinoya and Nekoma's libero clothing, shouldn't they have different colored uniform than their teammates?
Mar 8, 2020 3:24 PM
Mar 2019
yellowheartren said:
This episode was pure gold, I wish I could rate it higher than a 5. From Daichi's nightmare and through everyone's New Year's moments, all of them exhibiting their usual traits, but really being such a team by now that anyone instinctively knows how to deal with anyone else - I dunno what to say if somebody can't enjoy these candid, off-court scenes. The visit to a legit shrine, and then discovering a de facto gathering at the gym because that's their shrine... The captain's stare acting like Aizawa's Erasure on the three troublemakers; everyone being nervous and Tsukki being the big standoffish tsundere; even the little comments on how Suga would just encourage the "bad kids" or how he studies to stay calm and Asahi being so much into that video like a little kid.... And then of course we only to see the girls in the bath. Should've figured. Although the morning of the opening ceremony made up for it: with Lucky Ero Noya (such an incredible contrast to Karasuno's Guardian Deity), with the Ryuu.exe crash, and Hinata and Kageyama being like "famous people" and knowing others, and then Bokuto and Nekoma showing up... And then of course the music and lining up for battle.

I think this is what pre-championship days should be like, and it's extremely nice that an anime could finally take the time to present them "in full", as opposed to narrating a few slides, or just completely glossing over it. Of course, it also doubles as a full slice-of-life episode, which I think makes it even better, because those usually suffer the same time constraints in sports anime. The fact that it was done by Haikyuu!! is just the cherry on top. Absolutely loved it.

As a sidenote: with all the complaints about the animation, I can't help wondering how many of you watch Daiya, especially the current season... xD
Please don't tell me the animation for Daiya no Ace took an extreme dip, because I was planning on watching it when it ended
Mar 8, 2020 3:53 PM

Apr 2009
Showing the old animation and art-style in the episode were the characters looked like dog shitto half of the time was not a good move.

Daichi looked constipated.

Mar 8, 2020 4:59 PM

Jun 2015
Paak said:
Tsukizono said:

But at least Season 2 traning ark had good animation and great pacing with a great Director working on it.

>pace
The magical word. Season 2 training arc was waaay better paced, better directed and was even more technical than this one. And that's not taking into account the hideous animation this season has. But that fanboy just won't accept it and will keep repeating himself.
Mar 8, 2020 11:41 PM

Oct 2009
Blue_Flame18 said:
Please don't tell me the animation for Daiya no Ace took an extreme dip, because I was planning on watching it when it ended

I mean, technically speaking it didn't, as having narrated slideshows can't really be called animation. Especially when there isn't even any transition. That and lots of white background closeups for "dramatic effect". Somewhat less of it as the season progressed, but that's what I seem to recall the most. :/
Mar 9, 2020 9:50 PM

Sep 2018
I'M SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!! ❤️
Finals will start now!!!!!

Tsuki became a baby sitter of Hinata and Kageyama xD
Nishinoya is so funny lol lucky perv but reality hits him hard lol
Mar 10, 2020 6:00 AM

Jan 2020
Nice buildup ep, looking forward for the upcoming match ups

Made by k3ti
Mar 10, 2020 10:08 AM

Oct 2018
What a beautiful episode! It perfectly set up the mood for the upcoming matches, building up excitement and nervousness in equal measure.
Probably the best episode of the season so far.
Mar 10, 2020 10:31 PM
Jul 2016
Like this episode a lot. Feels a bit like filler but love how they touched on everyone's character (Even Ennoshita!!) Showing the daily life of Karasuno is so cute. Seeing the third years all got the shrine was so refreshing. Suga's personality really comes out and shows how he's not just a go with the flow character lol. So sad they didn't even wish Asahi a happy birthday was waiting the entire episode. Poor Asahi getting misfortune for the year and on his birthday. Had to keep repeating the scene of Kageyama rejecting poor Hinata and throwing his phone down. When Daichi called the energetic group (Hinata, Kageyama, Nishinoya and Tanaka) tuna I was like what is he talking about? After he explained I can't help but see all of their faces on tuna now! I like how they followed Daichi around the episode giving him a good showcase. Daichi dosen't even need to say anything to stop the energetic trio in their tracks. I also missed this the first time I watched it but Nishinoya does a spike to Tanaka!! I really want someone to actually make the I am Awesome video. The theme songs too. Ennoshita handling the first years is so cute. They were totally going to get lost without Tsukki. I like how Ennoshita describes Tsukki's way of handling his nerves like "uro-uro shiteta". Just wandering around aimlessly. Tsukki dosen't seem like the type to really wander around and just imagining it makes it all the better. The way that he tries to get out of going the the henjin duo by saying that he wouldn't be able to keep up and gets stuck on a bike is all the better. Also the bike that they borrowed was from the inn so I imagine it not being the right size for Tsukki and kept thinking of when an adult rides a childs bike. Tsukki is pretty tall after all. Asahi watching the video again and again is totally like me. I can watch the same video over and over again and it only gets better and better. Nishinoya's shit is also very fitting for this episode "Hummanity". The bath scene was obviously was to highlight the managers. When Yacchi san says she's going on the run and the one liner than Kiyoko says the one liner was so perfect. Nishinoya drooling so cute! Then at the tournament! First off the face that Hinata makes when he bumps into Nishinoya! Second I love how Nishinoya decides to just accept his fate when he falls. And then it totally looks like hes being held by Kanoka! She's HUGE and emphasizes the fact that Nishinoya is so small. Sakusa looks like he wants to be anywhere else. Bokuto's Hey Hey Hey! And then Tsukki ignoring Bokuto. Kuroo and Daichi's conversation is so cute. The OP being played as an orchestral version makes this episode that much better. I wished that they showed Hinata and Kenma interacting.
Mar 12, 2020 9:48 AM

Mar 2010
Calm before the storm episode. Not much to said on this episode but it is a good transition episode with the before the fight begin.
Mar 13, 2020 12:06 PM

Nov 2016
Episodes like these are everything for me. The whole vibe and the prospect of nationals got me really pumped.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 2020 7:50 PM
Apr 2018
Didn't this episode look worse? I barely give a damn about it for my favourite series but I couldn't help thinking that.

Lmao, Noya letting fate do its thing. Though Ryu turned the situation into kinda cringy
Mar 14, 2020 7:53 PM

Mar 2014
When they were watching clips from past seasons someone said "this is much higher quality than I was expecting". Was that a subtle dig on the fact that the animation this season has been noticeably lower quality than previous seasons?
But that's just one opinion.
Mar 14, 2020 9:51 PM
Jul 2014
I'm so hype I'm so HYPE I'M SO HYPEEEEEE!!!!!

the new year is here and a new challenge for karasuno has appeared!!!

a lot of cute moments in this episode uwu
the third years getting together at the shrine, the random game of badminton(?) between hinata kageyama noya and tanaka, kiyoko and yachi in the bath
ugh i love all these characters so much 8^8

they got to see all their old friends from different teams too ^~^ i love this casual reunion

i like the coach's thinking and making sure karasuno understands they are a good team with incredible plays and moments from past games! I think the I'm Awesome vids were a great idea and was a perfect way to boost moral and confidence before the big tournament!

although the art and animation was a bit rougher than usual, i think it's all due to the amazing content that awaits in the next episodes. saving all the good stuff for the games
Apr 5, 2020 4:45 AM

Oct 2019
it seems like we're actually going to get a game in this season! That nishinoya scene towards the end was pretty hilarious too xd.

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Apr 5, 2020 5:53 AM

Dec 2019
Finally, the long awaited hype is here, took 9 whole episodes holy...
                                                         🖤   

Apr 13, 2020 8:39 PM

Feb 2013
Not cool!
I wanted to see her sc(ASS)ars!
Apr 22, 2020 3:26 PM

Jan 2013
Nationals time!
Only 4 episodes left to get some action going on before having to wait for the next season.

HEY HEY HEY!
May 7, 2020 10:43 AM
Mar 2019
Bokuto looks sooo much better this season
May 23, 2020 2:10 AM

Jul 2013
Holy shit it's finally here, I thought it would take longer to come cause there's only a few episodes left. Hopefully we see a complete match of Karasuno before this season ends. And that Bokuto guy looks a lot like that short kid from All Japan camp that Kageyama went to.
Jun 7, 2020 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
I'm guessing they won't win the actual tournament, and will probably lose against one of the 2-3 new schools introduced in Kageyama's camp. Hopefully they will still be in at least top 8 or 4, but I kinda doubt they go higher than that.
Jun 15, 2020 6:52 AM

May 2018
Finally the tournament is about to start!
Jun 24, 2020 4:58 PM
Jun 2020
Summary of this episode:

*The SKYTREE!!!
*Nishinoya being a perv from the inn to the spring tourney venue

HAHA
Jun 25, 2020 8:30 PM
May 2020
We are finally here people and the Japanese High School Volleyball Championship is just WOW. O.O Also, Nishinoya was so Adorable this episode. First with his hair down when he was sleeping and then when he almost fell into a girl's chest, silently giving thanks to God, to only be gently stopped by said girl. XD This is going to be so EPIC... when the lockdown is over.
Aug 4, 2020 12:02 AM

Feb 2018
New year was a great time for them relaxing and stuff especially the third years and lol Captain Obi surely had a scary dream and he's scary himself too as always.

And finally we're in Tokyo now and the moment they saw the real Skytree was funny lol and Nishinoya thought he will get that lucky pervy moment and Tanaka frozed for a moment right there lucky.

And we're finally on the battlegrounds I guess who would be their first opponent.
Aug 15, 2020 6:42 AM
Jul 2016
Blue_Flame18 said:
phantomfandom said:
This episode is so gooood! If they add male bathing scene it'd be perfect!

Also, I can't decide if 'Hey Hey Hey' or 'Tsukki Tsukki Tsukki' is the best line in this anime, but both are spoken by my honey Bokuto.
Honestly, 'HEY HEY HEY' is the best
Everytime I see a picutre of Bokuto my mind goes HEY HEY HEY HEY
Aug 15, 2020 6:44 AM
Jul 2016
ireallywantcake said:
Perrito said:

agreed, they show their character progression and them building skills really well. In fact, that's one of the best points about Haikyuu
Sep 1, 2020 2:50 PM

Nov 2017
He makes me laugh with his Nishinoya "accident"! xD
Sep 4, 2020 12:57 AM

Jun 2020
so cuteeeeeeeeeeee

10/10 episode, great wrap-up & intro for the spring tournament. i loved the first half with the SOL stuff. daichi's anxieties & worries playing up & that was so cute how when he returned to school & noya, tanaka, kageyama and hinata were already there.

why oh why do people hate on the first half of this season with the training arc & all. wasn't it necessary for their development, character & plot-wise? i didn't think it was dragged out any longer than it needed to be, there was great follow-up with the characters' growth & it was definitely not filler episodes. i sure as hell wouldn't have wanted this season to be started off right with the tournament. the pacing is just right for me.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Sep 22, 2020 1:04 PM

Aug 2020
I'm not sure why but I got overly emotional seeing our old friends from the practice games. I know I'm going to be sad no matter who wins/loses I love these teams so much. :')

Apr 11, 2021 10:14 AM
Apr 2021
ahh that opening ceremony, so emotional and amazing
Apr 13, 2021 9:17 PM

Mar 2015
The opening ceremony ahead of the tournament! Surely the highlight was the bath scene though no?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 6, 2021 5:12 PM

May 2020
Meeting the other teams are so wholesome, especially Sakusa lol
May 8, 2021 6:03 PM

Aug 2017
Finally, the Spring Tournament begins. Honestly, this episode was very relaxing.."the calm before the storm".
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

178 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

109 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 6:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

95 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 5:52 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

94 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

70 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 9, 10:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.