Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 13, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
I realise now that there's so much foreshadowing... interesting.
Apr 13, 2019 2:26 PM

Aug 2007
I am really happy with this adaptation. Opening is really cute. I still like the one of the first anime. But this Op is really cute.

About the episode I liked it. I t has minimal differences with manga, but they not really important for the story, I mean.

Oh, poor Kyo. I can understand him about being the new in school, being nervous with lots of curious people surrounding you and making too many questions.
Apr 13, 2019 4:41 PM
May 2017
Tooru is a very nice girl and Shigure, a wise man (!?)... both adorable. Hope Kyou to learn and grow up, he needs to.

Very good story, hope it to improve.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 13, 2019 6:22 PM

Aug 2016
ED is so good. The cat is a dick, but I can see why.
Apr 13, 2019 7:29 PM

Oct 2010
Kyo is still the best male tsundere ever.
Apr 13, 2019 11:20 PM

Aug 2014
Usagi said:
Kyo is still the best male tsundere ever.
Hahaha Lol he really is.
Apr 13, 2019 11:54 PM

Jun 2013
OP was great, it was sung by Beverly who also did Fairy Tail ED song, Endless Harmony. She has a beautiful, nostalgic early 2000s jpop voice and I hope she can do more anime songs in the future.

I loved how Kyo-centric this episode was. I remember many of these scenes from the first series. Not everyone is going to like this series unless they're into shoujo or fans or the original series. I read that some people are reminded of Bakugo from Boku no Hero Academia when they see Kyo, they're both hotheaded and unlikeable from the start.

I noticed that the OP says FIRST SEASON in the title, I hope they make lots of seasons to cover ALL of the manga.
臭い-
Apr 14, 2019 12:29 AM
Mar 2016
It was actually cute especially Kyo >w<
Apr 14, 2019 2:00 AM

Dec 2015
kagura-pb said:
Jacksnapp said:

Can someone spoil me whether this ends openly without her deciding which one she'll go out with or if it has a more definitive ending where she gets together with one of them for real?

Thank you so much for telling me!
That makes me feel a little relieved to be honest, not that the other kind of ending couldn't be well made or fitting but for this anime/ manga and these characters I was wishing to see the kind of ending you've described. Thank you!
Apr 14, 2019 7:38 AM

Apr 2011
I was giggling a lot while watching the ep. HIHIHI~

This adaptation is good for me so far. Can't wait for more episodes!

Apr 14, 2019 7:53 AM

Jul 2017
Beautiful op, probably my favorite this season. I forgot how much I liked Kyo back when I first watched the 2001 version, it was 10 years ago. The mellow atmosphere is what I love the most and the characters are entertaining to watch as always.
I am so satisfied with this adaptation.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Apr 14, 2019 4:46 PM

Dec 2015
Too many Akito references so soon, I think.

3/5 It still fails in the comedic department.

@uninstallthegame It didn't feel like a triangle was installed back when I was reading the publishing manga. And the series actually doesn't feature the one you think.
Also, love triangles are not especially a girl-oriented thing. They swarm everywhere, no matter if the fiction is destined to boys or girls.

@Kimurah Indeed, the comedic ingredient isn't well managed in this version. They're probably trying to evacuate it in favour of the dramatic side expansion.

Mattinator95 said:
1998 - 2006 . It's gonna have cliche moments

Look at mythos from all over the world, or any period litterature. There has always been ideas/elements bound to be "re-used" everywhere.
Rei_IIIApr 14, 2019 4:56 PM
Apr 15, 2019 11:28 AM

Aug 2017
This was a decent episode. I am slowly getting used to the new character design. The animation is still very good. Also, the new OP was great (although I miss the old one) and I guess there will be more seasons!

Well, Hana-chan's 'Wave Report' was creepingly on point haha. It made me laugh so hard. I liked Akito's lecture about finding someone who likes you for who you truly are. If only Kyo would open his eyes (or heart) huh :P Tooru's 'confession' was cute. I love Kyo-kun's stubborness though, he is so cute! :D
Apr 15, 2019 7:38 PM
Jan 2011
Original anime/manga fans, can you believe it's been 18 years since the last anime aired? I never thought I'd get to see the full manga animated so this is like a dream come true TT.TT

What I love about this though is how many new fans this adaptation is bringing to the series! Welcome! Without spoilers the manga is one of my favorites, and I really hope you enjoy it :3
Apr 16, 2019 5:49 AM

May 2009
Never read the manga nor saw the (old) anime, even though I am a sucker for shoujo stories. Can't believe how nostalgic this show feels even though I've never watched it before. It reminds me so much of anime I used to watch D:
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 16, 2019 6:45 AM

Sep 2013
This episode brought back so many memories, oh gosh...

I haven't read the manga, but I did watch the 2001 series. There is definitely more foreshadowing in this adaptation than the original, that's for sure, and picking up on it has me feeling all giddy and excited like I'm back in high school!

I'm a little bit torn on the OP. It is very reminiscent of the original series' OP, but I do feel as if this one would work better as an ED.

It's only two episodes in and I can say that they have done wonders with this adaptation already. It's so charming. Absolutely brilliant.
Apr 16, 2019 10:25 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode again this week.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2019 8:44 PM
Jul 2016
I feel like music doesn't quite hit as hard in the remake. Is it just me or is the pacing very fast as well? I'm not sure how many episodes this series will have.
Apr 17, 2019 12:40 AM

Dec 2016
Oh the rare male tsundere suddenly appears lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 17, 2019 1:51 AM

Nov 2018
I love Tohru, she's precious.
Also I like how no one is mean to her unnecessarily, and in Yuki's case, he has his issues and he's working on it.
The OP is as good as the ED. Among the guys, I like Shigure the most so far.
What can I say, I love it.
Apr 17, 2019 6:41 AM
Mar 2019
So I know a lot of you have seen this earring and are probably better in school the original. I’d like to begin by saying I have never seen the show and this is my second episode and I have very mixed feelings about the show usually I like myself a good slice of life makes with romance and this is definitely one of them but at the same time it feels very slow it feels like it’s concentrating on some other stuff I am not good at explaining it but I will definitely keep watching it since everyone saying it’s a very good show! One thing I do love a lot about the show is the MC I love how she’s very supportive very energetic and outgoing I love how she loves helping other people out and cares more about others than herself I can really relate to her in some points so that’s one thing that’s going to make me keep watching!
Kebinsann :)
Apr 17, 2019 7:16 AM

Feb 2010
Really love this adaptation

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Apr 17, 2019 10:57 AM
Mar 2019
My heart melts for this OP...and the ED for that matter <3
I hope things work out for Kyo-kun, I haven't read the manga or seen the OG Fruits Basket but I ship Kyo and Tooru
Apr 17, 2019 2:37 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Despite the reverse harem vibes (sorry but I m a guy), I liked this episode more than first.
Characters are interesting so far, want to see more.
Apr 18, 2019 4:32 PM

Nov 2017
It was an OK episode. It’s had its comedic moments and the visuals don’t disappoint. I liked the 1st episode more. Maybe I don’t really like the direction this is going. Transforming humans to animals..? The male characters so far kinda annoy me...
But we’ll see how it all goes next episode

plz @ me
Apr 19, 2019 4:28 PM

Jun 2014
Ok episode. They combined chapters 2 and 3. Next episode should come Kagura, hehe. The old anime's ep 2 and half of ep 3 was still better (comedy and soundtrack). This time the pacing is a bit faster, but they aren't skipping anything important.

Opening was nice, they included Kagura and Akito, but no Ayame. :/ I don't think we will get 2 openings for the 1st season, so why are Kisa and Hiro in the ending and Kagura and Ayame aren't even though they appear sooner? Akito missing is maybe ok, but not those 2. And Ayame missing even in the opening, so sad.

Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Apr 19, 2019 6:28 PM

Oct 2017
The OP is good but I like the ED more. Both good songs though.

Lol at this point I can’t decide if I like Kyo or Yuki more. Kyo is a cat and a Tsun. How much better can it get???
Yuki and Kyo also have a very interesting rivalry. Yuki seems to beat poor kyo at everything.
Apr 19, 2019 10:33 PM

Mar 2009
Oh, boy. Going to be rough to witness Akito's manipulative and abusive nature all over again.
Apr 20, 2019 7:08 PM
Apr 2019
copyrightRingo said:
This anime is so shoujo, to the point it reminds me of the manga ideas from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun.

this is funny, because I'm pretty sure gsnk gets a couple of things directly from Fruits Basket. For example, I've read a lot of shoujo (and shounen seinen an all) and I've only encountered "senpai fanclub" In two stories: 1. Fruits Basket 2. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun. So yeah, lol.

Pknoctis said:

Still liking the new reboot, but can't help but feel like they should've gone the Parasyte method - e.g. update/modernize some things. It's too faithful to the manga which is making it feel cheesy and dated. Also, they really need to get rid of that awful CGI transformation fog.

the thing is that this manga is pretty firmly date-stamped as it were... stuff like
become minor plot points later on in the series. To modernise it you'd lose the sense of those things. So I think making it obvious the story is dated is the only way to go really.

ps. my inaugural post! wanna discuss this anime (:
Apr 20, 2019 7:27 PM

May 2013
Absolutely loving this reboot!! This episode was amazing, I legit cried when Tohru was in the forest with Kyo-kun and told him how much she loved the cat zodiac, and said that she can tell that he understands the weight of the words "i'm sorry" and ahhh my heart broke

I do wish the OP and ED were kept the same, but the actual series is being remade so well! The animation is amazing, and even better than the original - it looks a lot more like the manga. And I though I'd be bothered by new voice actors, but honestly the new ones are doing such a good job. Iwami-sensei makes a perfect Tohru, so much so that I barely even noticed it was a different VA. I'm sooo hyped for this season, and even more hyped for the next season where they finish the entire story! Ahhhhh it's going to be so awesome!
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
Apr 24, 2019 2:13 PM

Nov 2018
axel360 said:
Tohru's blandness and idiocy is making this a bit harder for me to enjoy tbh. I can't see why any of these guys would fall in love with her.

She's sweet and a nice person. Besides, you have to remember none of these guys have any normal human relationships, Kyo lives in complete isolation to the point that he doubts he can even fit in or interact with people and Yuki's entire personality to the outside world is an act to make himself likable. Tohru is the only one who saw the real him. To these socially deprived people, I don't imagine that falling in love with someone who's nice to them, and reacts positively to their biggest fears and insecurities - easing them, would be that unusual or strange.
Apr 24, 2019 2:16 PM

Nov 2018
axel360 said:
Tohru's blandness and idiocy is making this a bit harder for me to enjoy tbh. I can't see why any of these guys would fall in love with her.

You have to remember none of these guys have any normal human relationships, Kyo lives in complete isolation to the point that he doubts he can even fit in or interact with people and Yuki's entire personality to the outside world is an act to make himself likable, so even if a girl liked him, he wouldn't feel like she liked the true him. Tohru is the only one who saw the real him and didn't avoid him for it so he's way more likely to trust her when she's good to him than anyone else, she even wanted to get to know and befriend him after it. To these socially deprived people, I don't imagine that falling in love with someone who's nice to them, and reacts positively to their biggest fears and insecurities - easing them, would be that unusual or strange.
Apr 24, 2019 2:20 PM

Nov 2018
axel360 said:

You have to remember none of these guys have any normal human relationships, Kyo lives in complete isolation to the point that he doubts he can even fit in or interact with people and Yuki's entire personality to the outside world is an act to make himself likable, so even if a girl liked him, he wouldn't feel like she liked the true him. Tohru is the only one who saw the real him and didn't avoid him for it so he's way more likely to trust her when she's good to him than anyone else, she even wanted to get to know and befriend him after it. To these socially deprived people, I don't imagine that falling in love with someone who's nice to them, and reacts positively to their biggest fears and insecurities - easing them, would be that unusual or strange.
Apr 24, 2019 2:28 PM

Feb 2018
SRti0 said:
axel360 said:

The generic nice guy/girl protagonist has been done to death. There's nothing unique or interesting about that. The whole thing comes off a little like a form of wish fulfillment, with the self-insert character ending up in a fortuitous situation where even the most basic form of human kindness leads to multiple people falling in love with her.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Apr 24, 2019 3:52 PM
Apr 2019
axel360 said:
SRti0 said:

The generic nice guy/girl protagonist has been done to death. There's nothing unique or interesting about that. The whole thing comes off a little like a form of wish fulfillment, with the self-insert character ending up in a fortuitous situation where even the most basic form of human kindness leads to multiple people falling in love with her.

Well, you're right that would done to death and not unique or interesting ... fortunately for all of us that isn't Fruits Basket.

Yes, Tohru remains an overall optimistic character who gives all the people she meets immediate acceptance and kindness, but her character gets a lot of development of her own and I would say the two main factors of her storyline are 1) having to learn that while her kindness and acceptance and concern to help others is admirable, as one character later on says to her "I'm worried it's going to crush you one day" and 2) her dealing with some really severe grief and depression over her mother's death, unhealthy coping mechanisms and difficulty moving on, that she's masking with the aforementioned optimistic attitude.

Also, and many people have said this over and over, multiple people don't fall in love with Tohru. They really, really don't. I feel like people always want more justification for that, cause to them it seems like "obviously this is a story about the protag meeting multiple characters who fall for her", but I couldn't give more without explaining every or at least the main relationships in the series and that would be spoilers.

The narrative does try to 'fake out' readers into thinking both Yuki and Kyo are falling for Tohru at least, by nature of its general genre, but in a clever way that once the reality of their relationships is revealed looking back you can see that natural development. But here's the spoiler if anyone cares to look:

The other thing I can say is that yeah, a lot of the characters in the family that Tohru ends up meeting do have a level of admiration or at least appreciation for her. But a lot of them don't and a lot of them have so much of their own relationships and issues going on that they meet Tohru and recognize she's having a huge impact on Yuki and Kyo, but are otherwise like "oh yeah, she's a nice girl and good for them" but that's about the extent of their concern and they go back to dealing with their own lives.

ETA: ha, also ... hm, aside from the fact that multiple characters don't fall in love with her ... I'm not sure we can say Tohru has ended up in a "fortuitous situation". As new fans will eventually learn
thebond_thecurseApr 30, 2019 6:00 AM
Apr 27, 2019 6:05 PM

Mar 2009
@thebond_thecurse
Great post. People also have to remember that the Fruits Basket manga came out all the way back in 1998! If some of the things feel like they've been done to death...again, 1998. And Fruits Basket obviously inspired other series. All that being said, there's much more to Fruits Basket, like you posted. But, spoiler territory.
Apr 30, 2019 3:35 AM

Feb 2018
Funny Episode!!! loving Kyo's character. And i knew that Tohru's VA was Teresa from Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai once i heard her talk it was obvious.
SceltoApr 30, 2019 3:49 AM
May 2, 2019 8:14 PM

Aug 2017
Kyo really like to fight. Tohru is cute. Usually I hate this type of chracters but I think she's a decent person.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 6, 2019 12:49 AM

Oct 2007
thebond_thecurse said:
her character gets a lot of development of her own and I would say the two main factors of her storyline are 1) having to learn that while her kindness and acceptance and concern to help others is admirable, as one character later on says to her "I'm worried it's going to crush you one day" and 2) her dealing with some really severe grief and depression over her mother's death, unhealthy coping mechanisms and difficulty moving on, that she's masking with the aforementioned optimistic attitude.

Regarding Tohru's general niceness and agreeable nature - one thing I really loved from the end of the 2001 anime was
blissfireMay 6, 2019 1:03 AM
May 18, 2019 6:26 AM
May 2019
KYAAA~ Kyo is just so adorable 😭 I ship him with Tohru since the fist version!! AHHHH ❤
May 25, 2019 4:48 AM

Oct 2007
Kyo injuring Tohru is purely by accident - but still pissed off Yuki to go into a serious brawl with cat man. :p

Well, since Tohru's mind was not wiped.. residents of the hosue can enjoy decent food from now on. :)

May 27, 2019 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
>people in here criticizing Tohru for being sympathetic, nice, and just all-around lovely

y'all are some bitter ol' fucks. She's adorable.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 2, 2019 12:24 AM
Jun 2019
As weird as this might sound, the 2nd episode of the 2019 Fruits basket, the part where Kyo goes to pick her up from work. The part right after that where Shigure called Kyo a pervert, has anyone found out the name of the background music that was playing at that particular scene? I'd really love to know. •^•
Jun 5, 2019 10:30 AM

Apr 2018
"I have a feeling the days ahead will be fun!" Well, I could say the same with this series. It may look like a shoujo anime but I could watch it and still enjoy it
Jun 7, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2010
I'm stunned, I still adore Kyou the most, but man, Yuki's also great in this version! His new improved looks and way better, MALE seiyuu made a great difference.

Now I'm gonna love both of them! >///<
Jun 13, 2019 5:03 AM

Oct 2013
Haha, Kyo is cool, both as a human and in his cat form. :D
Jun 20, 2019 4:05 PM

Feb 2018
I adore the reboot so far! After watching it at the pre-screening, I decided to re-watch these. The animation is so beautiful as is the intro and outro songs, which were not shown at the pre-screening.

This version of Yuki honestly has my heart pumping a bit more than the original, especially the scene where he asked Tohru if she told her friends their secret.

I'm loving my Tsundere Kyo so far, and can't wait to watch his growth!
Aug 6, 2019 8:55 PM

Jul 2016
This episode was SOOO shoujo... and I really liked it. The atmosphere is really comfy and the interactions between the characters are being quite enjoyable as well.

Regarding Kyou, I have to admit he has his charm. Not to mention that I find his interactions with Tooru to be extremely entertaining if I'm honest.
Dec 5, 2019 1:41 AM

Mar 2015
Lmao Kyo being tsundere on behalf of all the cats out there
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 18, 2020 3:54 PM

Jan 2020
The characters are all so precious. I especially love the main girl. She's super duper nice. I'm really glad I decided to pick up this anime.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

120 by Inudrew »»
May 27, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2019

212 by contrastz »»
May 20, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2019

167 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

233 by kiteall »»
May 12, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

219 by kiteall »»
May 9, 10:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.