Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Happy Sugar Life
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 28, 2018 5:57 PM

Feb 2013
Not as objectively brilliant as Mahou Shoujo Site but still the best comedy of season
Sep 28, 2018 5:58 PM

Dec 2015
The PERFECT ending for this show! I hate it when edgy shows drop the edge half way through, this show kept it's edge sharp and cut deep.
Sep 28, 2018 6:06 PM

Jan 2015
Tennouji said:
Something's bothering me. Why is Asahi waiting with feeling impatiance for Taiyou's report on Satou's location when he realized he can just recheck the picture again carefully while he was waiting or before asking Taiyou in the first place?

what i didnt understand is why he is certain its that apartment building? We know if its the 12th floor, there shouldnt be many buildings like that, but still... to pinpoint which building it is is kinda strange.
Sep 28, 2018 6:28 PM

May 2018
Overall enjoyable show, I mentioned some times it's underrated until episode 10. Then episode 11 came which was nothing great and with ep 12 they really jumped the shark. So much happened and everything was just...weird.
- Forgot the ring CHECK
- Blonde guy is still there with no purpose left CHECK
- Shio threatens to kill herself in front of her brother CHECK
- The suicide scene (which we knew from ep 1 so whatever)
And last Shio's survival and complete transformation into a maniac persona which will be her close companion in life

From Ep 1-10 I was on the verge on giving this a 7/10, after the lame ep11 and trash ep 12 I stick with a 5/10. It was a fun watch at least. Not as bad as some overcritical people made it out to be.
Sep 28, 2018 6:29 PM

Sep 2013
Satou doesn't deserved an happy ending. Fuck the aunt. Shio is too young to understand anything. If Shio didn't care Satou killed her friend, then staying with Satou any longer isn't a good idea. Children need discipline. You don't want Shio to developed an insane/crazy/yandere personality when she get's older.

Imo, the ending could've been better or at-least the writing. 6/10

Sep 28, 2018 6:29 PM

Jun 2017
HibiChika said:
truly shocking but funny simultaneously. easily tops mirai nikki and shiki. i might be a sociopath but i genuinely enjoyed that blondies agony as well as pyromaniac aunties rampage. wasn't surprised by the double reunions, i just simply enjoyed the ride. pink haired hanakana as mc was kinda dump af tho. she could have easily avoided this whole catastrophe but then we wouldn't have had this gem of a rollercoaster trainwreck. this brings me to the anime original ending which sucked but at the same time it was the most suitable, or should i say appropriate conclusion nevertheless. doubt we will be getting any ovas, let alone S2. some specials like a picture drama would be nice tho. i would order the blurays if that was the case.

Eh, this ending was anime original? I have to pick up the manga then :D. I'd say this was a fitting end though but I am not very happy about the loli surviving, now I want to see her fuck shit up...since she basically became Satou 2.0 by the end. It was also quite a dumb ending, they could have gotten a happy end if not for that forgotten ring.

Mitsuboshi got the best ending, getting that aunt action and surviving it lol.
Sep 28, 2018 6:49 PM

Dec 2013
And now Shio is crazy... Thanks Satou!

But this show was pretty entertaining. The fact that almost every character in the show had their own way of being messed up was pretty cool. This also has a much smaller death count by the end than I thought it was going to have originally.

A decent 7/10 for me.
Sep 28, 2018 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
Thanks, I hate it.

Went from a 6/10 to a 1/10 in the span of 3 episodes.
Sep 28, 2018 7:48 PM
Jan 2014
Satou not reincarnated in Shio-chan, the personality Shio-chan shows is the true Shio that was always hidden inside, manipulating and moving the threads of all the events that surrounded her to have control of each life, of each person who could help her for her own plans... Shio-chan was always smarter than Satou and in her, Satou lives because she gave her life for her... Satou loved her, but Shio... Shio used her, because in the end...

... this is Happy Sugar Life by Shio-chan.

and tell me Ryuk, what do you think about Shio-chan now...

*Translators Note: Keikaku means Plan*

That little Loli is worse than L and Kira together in the same body!

Sep 28, 2018 8:14 PM

Aug 2015
Well, Asahi got what he wanted, but at great cost.
Mitsuboshi got his just desserts from Oba-san
Oba-san was so happy to take responsibility I lol'd

I think this anime should be dinged a few points for trying to overreach on serious subject matter. There are elements of reality here and there, but Shio is treated like a lolicon bait in early episodes 'as needed', and then the show switches gears to make her more like a realistic human being in later episodes.

At root, what's bothering me here is that Happy Sugar Life, like (all) anime tends to ignore that children are not adults and not capable of making sensible and rational decisions when faced with choices that affect their well-being. The only real difference between Satou and Mitsuboshi is that Satou can keep Shio fed and clothed and stay out of her private square. But was Shio going to go to school and learn to grow to be her own adult woman someone day, living under Satou's roof? Of course she wasn't. The ending is bitter because Shio has a whole life ahead of her, but how long is she going to carry a torch for Satou? Even if Satou has had a change of heart about doing what was best for the child instead of what [her and Shio] wanted, the grooming worked.

Tennouji said:
Something's bothering me. Why is Asahi waiting with feeling impatiance for Taiyou's report on Satou's location when he realized he can just recheck the picture again carefully while he was waiting or before asking Taiyou in the first place?

I'm glad I'm not the only only one who noticed that giant gaping plothole.
Could be a sign that this is anime original ending, unless ofc the manga-ka has made this error as well.
Sep 28, 2018 8:19 PM

May 2018
The real message of this anime is actually comes fron every character's background. Satou comes from family that full of domestic abuse, and so do shio and asahi. Mitsuboshi also abused by his manager. Shoko also got problem at her family (although i don't know the detail). That really break their mind till they could do something as crazy as kill your own friend or be a pedophile.

Summary, stop violence guys wherever you are. Keep respect each other.

I love how newcomer studio like Ezòla really packed thia anime this great. The graphic, the adaptation, perfect. Although, of course, there are some minus point this and there.

I would love to give it 8/10. Good job Ezòla.

P.s : did you realize that the suicide scene in the end is actually spoiled in the cover image ? Share same upside down figure.
TsuzukuHunter2ndSep 28, 2018 8:22 PM
Sep 28, 2018 8:33 PM

Jan 2017
This episode has everything:sexual abuse of minors, pedophilistic behavior, arson, domestic abuse, gratifying child abandonment, showing a corpse, suicide (double at that) and gratifying suicide as a means of escape and living a "Happy Sugar Life", did I miss anything?

Need to watch something light hearted after this.... like Goblin Slayer...

Liked the series and it's messed up characters, liked the directing and how they got away with lots of things without showing but implying, somehow making it un confortabile to watch for the viewer.

It's anime, many try to convey the message that life is worth living, this one shows suicide as a way of escaping towards what characters see as a happy end. Sadly many things shown here happen in real life especially in my country, society tolerates such things, that is the horror.

The director I think is a genius for showing so many disturbing aspects without showing he is sick in the head or enjoying showing such things. 10/10 for me on this one although has disturbing things in it that I don't agree with.
Sep 28, 2018 8:42 PM

Nov 2011
This anime was like a run away train driven by clowns. Fucking all over the place but hilarious. Jesus lord the writing for this show was god awful. Shio now apparently has Outgrown the Little Girl Phase into the adult phase real quick. =/ come on now.

The only somewhat bright spot about this episode was Satou showing some remorse for killing Shouko. Well guess what bitch, now you're dead, Shio is alive and you basically scarred this girl for life...AND FOR WHAT? FOR YOUR....wait for it....HAPPY SUGAR LAIFU!!!

God good it's hilarious.

Then there's Taiyou also scared for life. And that Co-workers of Satou who was IRRELEVANT FOR 11 FUCKING EPISODES.

Thank god this shit is over. The only great thing about this was Shouko and the Aunt.

3/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 28, 2018 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
this show was infuriating. the aunt's crazy psychoness was the only one out of all the crazy idiots that was done right in entertaining fashion. Shoko was the only likable one but she ded. the brother is kinda 2nd decent, too bad he got cucked by Shio thanks to yandere pedo
Sep 28, 2018 8:58 PM

Nov 2017
There is no dissaponting after watching this show....

Bad guygirl dead, good girl dead, psychotic aunt arrested, M guy arrested, Lolicon become nuts.... and the most important thing NEW PYCHO BORN
Now Loading.....
Sep 28, 2018 9:02 PM

Jan 2015
Lol at people still butt mad that Shouko is dead. GOOD, she was trash.

Was a great intense episode. This was a nice surprise of a series this season. 7.5/10
Sep 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
For sure did not expect it to end like this LOL

Satou really won in the end and its crazy how much of an impact she left on Shio but it makes sense granted that shios only true love came from her and how young Shio was in general. Now its time to read the Magna!
Sep 28, 2018 10:12 PM
Jun 2016
A sad ending there, but one to be expected, I weirdly loved this show heh.
Sep 28, 2018 10:38 PM

May 2015
Pretty entertaining show overall, I guess it's now Shio's turn to follow in the ways of the Yandere lol.
Sep 28, 2018 11:00 PM
Aug 2015
First half was really exciting just watching all the shit hitting the fan and everyone finally confronting each other... but unfortunately after that I'm a little disappointed in the ending.

Felt a little lackluster... No matter how many times they try to justify or spin around Shio and Satou's undying love together in the end I feel like Shio is the one that really loses her chance to live a real life... She's kind of just 'broken" now due to Satou's own selfishness to maintain her own happiness.
Sep 28, 2018 11:33 PM

Mar 2017
Hiruko_thirtySix said:
Tennouji said:

what i didnt understand is why he is certain its that apartment building? We know if its the 12th floor, there shouldnt be many buildings like that, but still... to pinpoint which building it is is kinda strange.

Just a thought but maybe the apartment block was the same one that Shio and his mum stayed at before she abandoned her, I don't think we're explicitly shown a shot of the outside but Asahi could of just recognised the style of number plate because he had been there before.
Sep 28, 2018 11:40 PM
Dec 2017
I didnt really like this series overall not gonna lie but after seeing this episodes ending
just hit me with the feels. The only reason I even started this series is because she reminded me of a Lesbian Yuno Gasai, I did not expect this to actually turn out like this
Sep 28, 2018 11:48 PM

Apr 2016
So who else is dead ? Except Shouko and Satou.
Sep 28, 2018 11:51 PM

Sep 2018
Como não lembrar de Mirai Nikki com esse final? :3

A yandere Satou abrindo mão da própria vida pela pessoa amada, assim como a Yuno rsrs

Final bem interessante. 9/10
~ Floquinho771
Sep 28, 2018 11:54 PM

Mar 2017
Swagernator said:
So who else is dead ? Except Shouko and Satou.

Asahi's dad I suppose but the main deaths are Shoko and Satou
Sep 28, 2018 11:56 PM
Aug 2018
Great ending to wipe up the crazy ride but also leave a hint of madness at the very end. This anime has successfully created a beautiful world with seemingly cute environment but twisted in every single way once you get deep into the story. Could not have hope for a story and atmosphere for a psycho horror.

8.5/10 and seriously thinking to buy the Blueray next time when I visit Japan.
Sep 29, 2018 12:26 AM
Aug 2016
Asahi sweetie i’m so sorry, I am so sorry that an ugly ass bitch like this would even take away everybody that u love oH MY GOD
7/10
Sep 29, 2018 12:28 AM

May 2017
It feels like an original anime end but judging from comments I guess it's not

Utterly disappointing end, Satou can't even handle some wimp guy (brother) that we obviously see from the start that he's very weak and malnourished but now, he looks all healthy and strong smfh

This show underused a lot of characters like that other girl, she just gave Satou passports that's it, that's her role, while Taiyou ugh this guy unluckiest in this show, not enough deaths, Satou is a shitty yandere

4/10
Sep 29, 2018 12:29 AM

Oct 2017
I feel bad for Asahi, his little sister is now a psycho, his mother killed his father and should be arrested, and also he has to pay for his psycho sister treatment now. If that wasn't enough he also has the image of Shouko lifeless body being burned into a crisp to haunt his sleepless nights. The resulting depression and PTSD should be off the charts.

but overall 4/10.
Sep 29, 2018 12:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid finale episode, this!

I’ve really enjoyed the insanity of the whole Storyline and the Character, in particular, and the overall directing of the show. Studio Ezola, finally we find out which Studio is it xD, really gave it their all with this show and that’s nice to see! My favourite episode of this show is still the episode whe Shouko was murdered and that really was one heck of a psychological episode I’ll remember for a long time.
On another note, the art/animation managed to deliver when it really mattered so no problems there and the Sound Department was exceptional, thanks mainly to Reona for the brilliant ED and the insert song of my favourite episode of the show.

As for this finale, the buildup to the final scene was rather weak and poor narration, but it at least ended well. I didn’t expect to see Satou’s aunt get arrested, but I’m glad that’s how it got resolved. More on Satou though, I didn’t think she’d show any concern to Shouko but there was this one just shot of her showing the slightest bit of regret(was it?). Taiyou completely losing his sanity in the end there was a bit painful to see, after seeing her go through that all over again. Shio’s brother played a significant role in this episode and it’s nice to know a little more background info regarding the murder of their father and the mother’s past. What got me creeped out, I guess, in the end though was the psycho act passing on to Shio now. Really tense ending, I loved it! It kind of reminded me of Monster ending, but surely this felt a lot more intimidating.

Overall, a solid 7.5/10 to this show. I’m honestly shocked to see so many people hating on this show because of Satou’s paedophilic attitude, but I guess it differs from person to person. To each their own, after all.

- Storyline: 6/10
- Characterization/Character Development: 7/10
- Art/Animation: 8/10
- Sound Department: 9/10
- Enjoyment: 8/10

-> Overall: Solid 7.5/10!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 29, 2018 1:11 AM

Jan 2015
Well, there’s almost six hours of my life that I’ll never get back.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Sep 29, 2018 1:59 AM

Mar 2009
So, uhh, they really couldn't have escaped the building? They couldn't have lived together, instead of choosing to kill themselves? At least Satou saved Shio in the end.

This anime was basically about a young girl being neglected, abused and manipulated(and groomed), to the point where now she's also crazy like the rest of them. Sad.

Nice anime about crazy people, I guess. Still not as edgy as this season of Overlord(which completely shit the bed), so that's a plus for Happy Sugary Life.

Taiyou worst character of 2018. Satou's aunt was sexy as hell, but she's also responsible for Satou being so crazy, so...yeah.
Sep 29, 2018 2:12 AM

Mar 2018
A twisted ending for a twisted show, perfect for a twisted person like me. Personally, I want more, like Shio's mom's backstory (I heard they skipped it in anime) but I doubt we'd get anything more from this series with a ending like this. I teared up a little when they started showing the scenes of Happy Sugar Life those two supposed to get, mixing with flashbacks. In the end, all warped people got what they deserved and Shio became the next successor of Satou.

10/10
Time to change my favorite list.

Now I want to see a CGDCT with these characters, including Shouko of course.

Sep 29, 2018 3:33 AM

Mar 2015
This was a fucked up ending for a show full of fucked up characters with fucked up relationships and fucked up pasts.

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2018 4:04 AM

Oct 2007
No, Satou-chan!! Shio-chan mentally wrecked because her waifu died. :(

Onii-chan... remember that Shio belong to Satou even if she's gone.

10/10
Sep 29, 2018 5:02 AM

Apr 2018
Idc if it was stupid during a lot of parts
8/10
One of the most untertaining anime i've watched

The brother was annoying af
Love satou, the aunt, shio, and her mum and the dead friend
And the ending song is great
Sep 29, 2018 6:48 AM

Dec 2009
Auntie was best girl. Should be released and protected
Sep 29, 2018 7:11 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i don't know why i didn't expect Shio to live, but i guess in the end it was obvious Satou would die, i feel really bad for sure, despite being low-key insane

her aunt...

... lol

i guess Shio's gone coo coo now too
Sep 29, 2018 8:22 AM
Jan 2017
this yandere lolicon is already dead? this anime similar to miraii nikki Yuno gasai to kill everyone who disturb their love even satou kill her own friend to love sake,,
and left shio alone after trying to suicide together ,, but satou save shio life by sacrificing herself,,, and died,,
Its very hurt to see shio alone at hospital and commit to life with love to Satou...
i even cry to this this episode at final when they jump from the building,, and i remember the scene from fatal frame 2 crimson butterfly who separated when they love each other and keeping live with burden in one of them,,

i think this anime is very gudd at first episode and atr ending too,, its hurt me very much
Sep 29, 2018 8:30 AM
Jan 2017
this series is interesting plot,,
at first episode we can see the perfect popular girl live as nor mal girl,, but suddenly its all change after meet shio,, the kawaii little loli,,and take her home and become love with her,,
and she overprotected shio by dont letting anyone meet her and become yandere Lolicon,,
this sesies is focused on Shio, she has a mysterious aura to making people arround her love and want to make her be their own,,
the plot for me is intererting,,
good chara,
sad ending
Sep 29, 2018 8:42 AM

Oct 2007
x2kill4 said:
this yandere lolicon is already dead? this anime similar to miraii nikki Yuno gasai to kill everyone who disturb their love even satou kill her own friend to love sake,,
and left shio alone after trying to suicide together ,, but satou save shio life by sacrificing herself,,, and died,,
Its very hurt to see shio alone at hospital and commit to life with love to Satou...
i even cry to this this episode at final when they jump from the building,, and i remember the scene from fatal frame 2 crimson butterfly who separated when they love each other and keeping live with burden in one of them,,

i think this anime is very gudd at first episode and atr ending too,, its hurt me very much

I watched the final scene at least 3 times. Almost make me cry too. :(

Shio still alive, but live a sad life..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuCFn1g_yK8&list=RDLuCFn1g_yK8&index=1
Sep 29, 2018 8:45 AM

Oct 2007
Austro said:
Really hope Shoko gets to torture the fuck out of Satou in the afterlife...

AND IM AN ATHEIST

Shoko would still be alive if she did not keep prying into Satou private life.
Sep 29, 2018 9:24 AM
Sep 2012
I quite liked how it ended, despite the sadness. At least Shio-chan chose Satou in the end, if she just went with onii-chan and they lived happily ever after I wouldn't rate it 8/10. And all these people would have died for nothing...

Of course it was a bad decision to go back for the ring, but she couldn't have predicted what happened.
Aunt best grill.
Sep 29, 2018 9:42 AM

Feb 2017
i do not understand about shio's happy sugar life. The only thing im sure is shio going full edgy mode

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Sep 29, 2018 10:08 AM
May 2017
meme tier episode, what a horrible ending to a decent anime
Sep 29, 2018 10:26 AM
Feb 2016
That end is too good for satou.. She should die more horribly.. There is not even 1 single excuse for what her doing.. For love.. Bull****.. That's definitely not love.. 1/10
Sep 29, 2018 1:13 PM

Aug 2017
Decent ending. Satou dressing Shoko was weird. Asahi sees Shouko's corpse. Satou dies and Shio turns into a Satou 2.0. Satou's aunt is arrested for starting the fire and the perv teacher is arrested too for something that I don't remember.

Overall, it was a decent psychological show. The start was slow but it was worth it. One of the few decent shows from this season. 6/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 29, 2018 1:33 PM

Apr 2010
Poor Taiyo, how Satou's aunt was able to rape him when he is terrified (unless she used viagra or smt)
I knew that Satou is going to let Shio live but I didn't expect that Shio turn into new Satou
Sep 29, 2018 3:09 PM
Aug 2014
Finally I can put this one in the grave. Fuck everything about it.
Sep 29, 2018 4:11 PM
Jan 2017
Very exhausting episode to watch (in a good way). I honestly wasn't expecting this much from the final episode. What keeps nagging in the back of my mind is the tragedy of forgetting her most beloved possession. It makes you think, "what if...?". Also, just when you thought it was over, you see the surprise after the end credits. It's for those two reasons that this story will stay with me for quite awhile.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 3 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

44 by tamagolord »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2018

62 by Dizzy-san »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 2 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

43 by Dizzy-san »»
May 12, 1:25 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

96 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 4, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2018

70 by Hazamelis »»
Mar 23, 11:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.