Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 8, 2016 9:09 PM

Sep 2014
I really hope he died, and doesn't come back all cliche and shit.

Amazing episode! I so many feels, and just everything about this episode was amazing!

I was also going to say "Man it would be cool if Nobume joins either Shinsengumi or odd jobs and we could have some great funny moments!" but we can't have it :(

Fuck I don't want to watch the next episode! :(
GokuAug 8, 2016 9:15 PM
Oct 8, 2016 2:24 PM

Feb 2015
Wtf, since when did Gintama turn into a Game of Thrones or Akame ga Kill?

1000/10

But I want the good old days back nevertheless.
Jan 6, 2017 4:56 PM

May 2016
I've seen so many emotional animes, but I have never cried as much as I have in this one episode. I love Gintama.
Jan 26, 2017 3:34 PM

Dec 2015
I never thought I'd shed a tear for Isaburo of all people 😭😭
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 4, 2017 5:15 AM

May 2012
The first and last time i'll ever cry watching a man read text messages :( RIP Sasaki, i wanted you to live
Aug 31, 2017 11:37 PM

Oct 2015
Laraso said:

He wasn't following orders, if you pay any attention to what was happening they clearly explained that he planned everything out and led everyone here in hopes to kill everyone off including himself and end the era of Samurai (which if you go back and watch the first few episodes of the original seasons of Gintama, that era is supposed to already be long gone and samurai are supposed to be virtually extinct already, but somewhere along the line the author of Gintama forgot everything about the original premise of this series and broke that plot point a loooong time ago so it's somewhat irrelevant in this context). Then, a few flashbacks later, suddenly he doesn't care about that anymore and he spontaneously tries to save the people he was literally up until a few moments ago trying to kill. That's not character development, that's bad writing.

CG-Silver said:
Now I'm failing to understand what's the problem here. This might be more on a personal level for you so I can't really see what's the complaining about. It's normal for any series to have it's fair share of revelations.

The problem is that the anime leads you up to believe that she's a heartless killer who doesn't care about anyone, and then at breakneck speeds just spontaneously breaks that entire archetype they created for her, and she spontaneously starts acting like a human being. It's not the fact that she had a hidden personality that got revealed that bothered me, it's the fact that the way the story was written in which that hidden personality was revealed was extremely messy and very poorly written. After revealing that she's not so heartless deep down, they also reveal that she originally killed Sasaki's family, but then very quickly later retract that and go "oh nope actually she tried to save them". All of the flashbacks leading up to that were building on the fact that she killed his family, that she was some sort of "child of death", and then BAM out of nowhere they spontaneously reverse that and now she's actually just a good girl who tried to save everyone. So Sasaki and Nobume have known each other since her childhood, all this time with the idea that she had killed his family, and then randomly at the end of the episode Sasaki goes "oh but maybe that was wrong this entire time, this crazy idea just came to me that maybe you actually just tried to save them lol, its cool". This was never discussed between them before? They never had a conversation about this until just now? And if that was the case this entire time, why spend half the episode showing flashbacks holding back information in order to lead people to believe one thing, if you're just going to reverse that and say something completely different happened in the last half? Get real.

Adult Nobume had been portrayed to be a coldhearted killer "in the battlefield" Like a different variation of Sogo, hence the rivalary. Not once did I percieve her as an indiscriminate killer, nor have I noticed anyone seeing it that way. Both herself and Isaburo were introduced -and continued to act- as firm policemen with mysterious underlying motives, with the latter being the mastermind, and the former his faithful servant.

As for the flashback.. If my memory serves me right, the first time Nobume was officially revealed to have (presumably) murdered Isaburo's family, was the same scene in which she didn't defend herself, telling him to kill her as she teared up. That was foreshadowing in and by itself! Some identity or expression problems continued to persist within her as a result of being torn between Naraku's madness, Shoyo's noble teachings, and being used as a tool even by Isaburo. That made her come across as an emotionless weirdo who is hard to read.

Isaburo had conflicted feelings about her, as expressed in his occasional phrase "The bastard child of Death" He was subconciously conditioning himself to believe that she had been the assassin, an emotionless killing machine, so as to make it easier on himself to use her as a tool. His fatherly instincts gradually grew as he found himself attached to her. And so at one point in time, he changed her name from Mukuro (Corpse/Skeleton), to Nobume (Girl of Faith) a name he intended for his daughter. It's bittersweet, because Isaboru was in the end of the day an asshole. A likeable asshole whose bitter feelings for revenge, which entailed using Nobume as a tool, outweighed his feelings of love. And perhaps he also couldn't muster the courage to confess. He's a likeable fallen hero whose backstory is genuinely heartbreaking. I appreciate how he didn't direct his anger and sadness towards the destruction of everything, unlike the emotional-wreck that is Takasugi.

Each to their own but I found their story unique, coherent, and beautiful.
TogameCheerioAug 31, 2017 11:44 PM
Sep 1, 2017 10:56 AM
Jul 2014
Gintama fanbase so heated that this ain't in 2nd place no more. =]
Sep 1, 2017 9:33 PM

Mar 2014
Xeno_Wrath33x said:
Gintama fanbase so heated that this ain't in 2nd place no more. =]

>Posting a worthless comment because of delusional belief;
>Caring about ratings of other anime.

I feel sorry for you.
Feb 22, 2018 6:16 PM

Nov 2016
Here we go again,another feels trip sponsored by Gintama,this show is just so unbelieveable good at it.

There was a lot of focus on Sasaki,a character I never really cared for,but the whole exploration of his and Nobumes past was so well done and climaxed in a spectacular death scene,worth the whole build up.

Think Gintama is the franchise which made me tear up the most,right after One Piece.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2018 10:26 AM

Sep 2016
Nooooooo NOT ISABUROOOO

Goddamit Gintama :'( Hitting it right in the Kokoro...

Already can predict I'm going to cry in the next episode :'( as if crying in this episode and in Takasugi's monologue wasn't enough :'(

WAAAAAHHH
May 14, 2018 8:01 PM
Sep 2017
Wiziliz said:
I was crying so much when I thought Kondo was dead, that scene with Kondo's face showing on Gintoki's was brilliant.
The entire episode was brilliant actually, the death scene was extremely sad but done extremely well and it was nice to know that Nobume wasn't responsible for the massacre.
The animation and the music were great.
Second saddest episode so far, behind 305, glad there was still a tiny bit of comedy (Let's just go with "Vag***.").

P.S.
Fuck Oboro and Utsuro.

All of this. ^^^
Cried my damn eyes out, then freaking burst out laughing while still crying at the Vag name text and Sasaki’s expression when reading it! Gintama bringing out all the emotions.
Jan 1, 2019 3:23 AM

Dec 2012
VAG---- LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

Jun 7, 2019 11:30 PM

Jul 2016
who_dat_ninja said:
The first and last time i'll ever cry watching a man read text messages :( RIP Sasaki, i wanted you to live

It is amazing how much they made me like Sasaki in only a few short episodes...
Jun 20, 2019 3:00 AM

May 2015
Rip isaburo. ahhh, who am i kidding, he probably survived somehow.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 6, 2019 10:04 AM

May 2016
I hope your email was received Isaburo... 10/10
Nov 22, 2019 12:42 PM
Apr 2016
Kondou faked his death well, I knew that he'd use the pill thingy to fake-kill himself. OUCH, Isaburo ended up dying, that's unfortunate.
Nov 25, 2019 5:07 AM

Mar 2015
Omg square in the feels :( RIP Isaburo Sasaki!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 16, 2020 1:38 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, who would've known we'd eventually care for Isaburo so much.
R.I.P. :(
Apr 14, 2020 11:21 PM

Aug 2019
Lovd Gintoki's speech to the Shinsengumi and his comparison to Kondo. And Kondo was so badass here. Both his and Hijikata's expressions before cutting down Oboro were beautiful and awesome.
I really thought Isaburo had managed to survive but of course not damn it. The whole death scene with the beautiful flashback of exchanging emails with his wife regarding his daughter's name was absolutely perfect. Him naming her Nobume and saying he believed in her while falling and Nobume screaming out his name was too heartbreaking. My tears just won't stop. Fuck that bastard Utsuro for killing him. And to think I didn't even like both Nobume and Isaburo when they first appeared.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Aug 9, 2020 11:23 PM

Aug 2018
OK, so Nobume wasnt the one who killed his family...thats good.

This episode was extremely sad, Isaburo didnt deserve to have his family killed, or to be killed. he was a good man.

Oct 15, 2020 1:50 AM

Jul 2020
Rest in Peace Sasaki. I never really hate him even before and this episode made it even more the reason why.
Jan 27, 2021 2:45 PM

Dec 2019
Noooo Isaburo!!!!
That Vag*** name tho
Mar 9, 2021 11:10 PM

May 2020
They got us with Sasaki and Kondo faking their deaths. And then...
Oh, Rest In Peace Sasaki. What a very emotional episode...
Jul 16, 2021 12:29 PM

Apr 2021
Damn the feels in the Ep. I hated Isaburo at first but now I just can't help but respect him. He was one of the best characters in Gintama and General. Sake won't stop coming. 11/10 Episode. Again, words can't do justice to how great this Ep was. Definitely one of my favourite.

R.I.P Isaburo
Jul 23, 2021 8:23 PM

Feb 2009
Gintama has had its share of tragic stories, but damn if this isnt up there as one of the most tragic ones... Not only that, it also seems that in these last episodes Gintama is actually killing characters, even if they are not all that important, they are characters which have impacted the story at some point. Serious Gintama is serious man.
Aug 8, 2021 10:12 PM

Mar 2021
"my email was finally delivered" :'(

goodbye to the most elite character in gintama
🐐

Sep 12, 2021 12:56 PM

Apr 2018
Ah man, who asked for this tearjerker of an episode.

Shocked myself to death, I really thought for a second that Kondo-san died but I completely forgot about the pill. Sasaki really showed off his character in this arc. Truly made me like him even more and his real motive and the meaning behind his character. Such a beautiful character. Poor Nobume, how will she live with this.. Unlike the other seasons this will probably have an emotional ending..

An incredible episode.

"Fight Shinsengumi" - Gin
''Girl of Faith'' - Nobume
"My email was finally delivered" Sasaki

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 13, 2021 1:50 AM

Feb 2019
ugh I wasn't able to stop my tears ;---; sasaki :(
owkey
Dec 2, 2021 3:22 AM

Dec 2007
Too many feels ;_;
Mar 2, 2022 11:07 PM

Nov 2010
So, she failed to protect Sasaki's family instead. I see.

Hmm, So Mukuro/Nobume became attached to Sasaki after she witnessed him deliberately sabotaging his mission to setup the Shinsengumi? Apart from that they didn't have any important interaction up until his family's assassination. I can't wrap my head around that. It's a writing issue IMO. Oh well, it was still presented well.

He should've went with Vagina as his daughter's name. lmao.
Mar 11, 2022 11:07 AM

Feb 2012

They did it again, they mae me shed tears for Isaburo :(

Even tho i saw his death coming from afar it was still emotional especially with them showing that flashback and the meaning of the name Nobume.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

May 24, 2022 4:39 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So now it's Isaburo's death? Damn seriously he ended up being a good character and ended in a sad way, RIP
Jul 29, 2022 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
Again, this might be the best episode of gintama! F**k how many times I'll say this. This arc is Peak, words cannot describe how Unbelievable Gintama has been for last 16 episodes.
While it's repetitive that in gintama antagonist of the arc is a good person all long revealed at the end, but this time it's different his intentions were not evil and he was good all along. If this troope is executed with perfection, you could have one of the best characters and arc, and that's what Gintama has done right now. This was just perfect.

Kondo being a Goat is nothing new because he has been like this for last 16 episodes or so. I loved the moment when Gin said all of the Shinsengumi to fight.

Not many people will have this take but for me, FS is better than or equal to SA. Both are Goat and equal. So, I treat both of them as one.
Sep 4, 2022 3:54 AM

Apr 2013
Well... I don't really care about Sasaki or Nobume, so this episode was kinda meh for me.
Sep 19, 2022 6:17 AM

Jan 2020
Another one bites the dust........seems like the serious arcs are getting more serious now.....RIP Sasaki
Nov 4, 2022 4:41 AM

Aug 2018
Really tragic episode , Isaboro made a small yet very important sacrifice , seeing that surprise attack on Oboro and him getting put down was really awesome , Kondo has always been smarter than he looked .

Lastly , I feel truly bad for Nobume , she lost a person that truly cared most for her , this episode is just amazing
Dec 23, 2022 8:16 PM

Apr 2022
not again man :((( sasaki delivering all the feels. what a king.

but gin shouting TATAKAE SHINSENGUMI!!
Jun 15, 2023 4:29 PM

Mar 2019
Why did you give me hope!! I was so happy when they got on the ship. It was an amazing scene even if I didn't want it to happen. Turns out she didn't kill Isaburo's wife back then which is why Utsuro said she betrayed him.

Gintoki shouting that was badass. Kondo was just amazing this episode, again. And they managed to take out Oboro, at least for now. The naming flashback had a lot of feels in it which made me tear when the name "Nobume" showed. Amazing arc and now to see what's going to happen in the last episode. Mimawarigumi probably won't serve the Shogun anymore so I'm interested to see what's going to happen.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jan 2, 12:09 PM

Feb 2018
NOOOOOO this was going so well.. Gorilla was saved, everyone was almost out of there, whyyyyy this hurts :'(. Rip Isaburo the goat.. his mail was finally delivered :')
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

253 by Gentoki01 »»
Jun 16, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.