Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 5, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah interesting episode, we got background storytelling about Yatori and Ikta when they were younger.

Noticed that even at such a young age, Yatori shows exceptional fighting skills with a sword. Yatori and Ikta has an interesting relationship, almost sibling-like. They're not ashamed about bathing in the same room together either. Looks like they had some troubling dealing with wild wolves but then again, I like how they cooperate each other to survive. Quite a different feeling compared to some of the other episodes but I like the characterization.

Aug 5, 2016 10:44 AM

Apr 2013
So they go like that then with the volume 7 flashback, heeh. There's not concluding the first volume yet, so it's for episode 6 then, surprised by that. Do they really intend to do volume 2-3 in only like 7,5 episodes? that sounds hard to do.

Ikta isn't supposed to looks like his father tho, so that's not really faithful there ^^".

I didn't know that chapter so that was new for me. That's some incredibly smart wolves here.
Aug 5, 2016 10:53 AM
Jan 2009
Still no volume 1 ending? Odd choice.
One entire episode for volume 1 ending could be cool, if the discussion is adapted fully.

Also brace yourself for super rushed volume 2 adaptation. At least I hope, rushing volume 3 would be madness.
Aug 5, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2015
Wow I wasn't expecting a flashback at that moment, I guess it fits right now. Liked seeing on how Yatori slowly but surely started to come around.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Aug 5, 2016 10:57 AM

Jan 2015
Iktar, the one that "strengthen" Yatori but "weaken" her at the same time.
Flashback about Yatori and Iktari. About a knight and a scientist, the strict lady and "slacker" boy.
And that survival action against the wolves, probably the first for life-threatening teamwork.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Aug 5, 2016 11:08 AM
Dec 2011
Dark_Kain said:
Still no volume 1 ending? Odd choice.
One entire episode for volume 1 ending could be cool, if the discussion is adapted fully.

Also brace yourself for super rushed volume 2 adaptation. At least I hope, rushing volume 3 would be madness.

Next episode will pretty much include part of volume 2 according to the title.
Aug 5, 2016 11:09 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This flashback episode, so good. Ikta and Yatori are great as a duo.
Aug 5, 2016 11:10 AM

Aug 2015
I wasn't expecting a flashblack but I must say it didn't disappoint me a bit.
Aug 5, 2016 11:11 AM

Mar 2010
Those must be the smartest wolves I've ever seen.

Also I've never read the novels and I hear people saying that this is so rushed. However, I don't personally think it's that rushed. there hasn't been any major plot point other than than them getting into the academy anyways.
Aug 5, 2016 11:13 AM

Jan 2012
Very strong flashback episode. The battle against the wolves was awesome, and Ikta's mom sure was beautiful. :)
Aug 5, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2014
poor alpha-wolf-chan ... its any chance 2 see him again?
good episode ...
Aug 5, 2016 11:15 AM

Jan 2015
jchang said:

Also I've never read the novels and I hear people saying that this is so rushed. However, I don't personally think it's that rushed. there hasn't been any major plot point other than than them getting into the academy anyways.

Ehhh, it's slightly rushed at some points but nothing to have a major outcry over. At least from what little I've read.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Aug 5, 2016 11:19 AM

Apr 2010
Nothing says defying god like making ice cream.
Aug 5, 2016 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
It was a very strong flashback episode!

The battle against the wolves was awesome!
Aug 5, 2016 11:27 AM

Jul 2007
After four episodes showcasing Yattori and Ikta in action this episode helps us understand both the consequences of what they experienced and what drives them to behave the way they do.

Its important to note that the episode makes it clear that Yattori is very much affected by what she had to do last episode. It is not something to be celebrated and it has left a wound that will never heal. No matter how much a person trains to fight, nobody can prepare one for what Yattori had to do. Its easy to buy in into propaganda and cut down enemy soldiers, but in this case she had to cut down their own, in order to protect their royalty. As Yattori puts it, no wonder the idea of a Knight is so disassociated from the idea of a person. They are a weapon at the hands of the royalty of their country, alas Yattori got to have a taste what that means to one as a person. To fully become a soldier you need to forfeit yourself as a person. And As long as Ikta is around, Yattori is not going to be able to lose her own individuality. It nicely explains why despite Ikta's behavior that should stand against everything Yattori believes in, she is still friends with him. Ikta's defiance and individualism allows Yattori to not lose her own "Me" in the nationalistic and utilitarian empire.

Which is why it is nice to see how such a friendship started in the first place - there's strong contrast with Yattori and(I assume) her father standing in the dark room and Ikta's father and Yattori looking at the sky.

A lot of the episode focuses on the conflict between a rational thought and blind faith. The empire represents the latter and Sankrei household seems like a refugee of the former, with Yattori, both her young self and her grown up self, standing in the middle. As Yattori gets to experience the life of a warm household and different traditions from what she is accustomed to, she is slowly learning to be more human in her interactions.

At the same time The episode helps to contextualize the life Ikta had that we know is lost now. With knowledge of what awaits his father and his teacher, there's a certain expectation of doom from the viewer in the whole affair. The knowledge that the world Yattori grew up in will crash on the world she visited affects the way those warm family-like interaction look.

Overall the episode helps contextualize why Ikta and Yattori would depend on each other. I certainly don't see it as romantic in any way and it is VERY nice that the show is not forcing romantic tropes to them. They are just two childhood friends from very different lives, who learned to depend on each other and counter-balance each other's faults.

5/5
Aug 5, 2016 11:27 AM

Jun 2014
It was nice seeing a flashback of Ikta and Yatori's relationship when they were younger. They displayed some great teamwork fending off those wolves.

Don't let PETA see this episode, they'll get super triggered.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 5, 2016 11:35 AM

Apr 2014
great series, as an anime watcher only, this show is so good , i may even consider reading the novel afterwards, and that happens rarely to me.
Aug 5, 2016 11:56 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode, Very nice flashback.

Ikta's mom is really pretty.

It was nice to see how Ikta and Yattori's friendship developed to what it is now.

I liked Yattori's definition of Science, "Science is a field that attempts to explain things that are, In theology, explained as Acts of God from another approach". Despite coming from a traditional background she already seems to be applying science in her actions just that she doesn't know it yet, As evidenced by her throwing the food out the window in an arc. She does indeed like the rational approach and the only thing keeping her from following it is her family tradition which is again shown when Ikta asks her if she would like to become a scientist with him. Perhaps one of the reasons she's able to accept Ikta's scientific approach is because she in a way likes Science too.

I really like how they both grew to depend on each other through their experiences with the wolf encounter playing a major role in shaping their friendship. The battle was great to watch as well. Wolves these days are smart xD

Overall, It was great to see how people from two opposite cultural backgrounds and even mindsets(One who wants too choose his own path and the other who wants to follow the path set for her) grow close to each other.
Lelouch0202Aug 5, 2016 12:03 PM
Aug 5, 2016 12:13 PM

Apr 2013
jchang said:

Nah the smartest and wisest wolf in anime history is still Holo :p.
Aug 5, 2016 12:29 PM

Oct 2014
That was an interesting flashback, one that i don't remember being in Vol1. Altough i was sure they would do That Event this ep., this is still nice and interesting :D

And seeing Ikta's mom explains why he is into MILFs so much. She is a total one :3

Zefyris said:
Do they really intend to do volume 2-3 in only like 7,5 episodes? that sounds hard to do.

wait, is it confirmed to be one cour?
Then they would probably end it at Vol2
ShrimperorAug 5, 2016 1:34 PM
Aug 5, 2016 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
Shrimperor said:
That was an interesting flashback, one that i don't remember being in Vol1. Altough i was sure they would do That Event this ep., this is still nice amd interesting :D

That's because it's part of volume 7. The choose to put the flashback there.

Shrimperor said:
And seeing Ikta's mom explains why he is into MILFs so much. She is a total one :3

Well she wasn't part of the emperor's harem for nothing after all. :)

Shrimperor said:
Zefyris said:
Do they really intend to do volume 2-3 in only like 7,5 episodes? that sounds hard to do.

wait, is it confirmed to be one cour?
Then they would probably end it at Vol2

it is confirmed to be 13 episodes, yes. I think end of volume 2 is unlikely. They still have too much episodes for that, and usually in an adaptation, the first volume is always adapted in more episodes than the following ones. so end of volume 3 is more likely.
Aug 5, 2016 12:39 PM

Apr 2010
Shrimperor said:
That was an interesting flashback, one that i don't remember being in Vol1. Altough i was sure they would do That Event this ep., this is still nice amd interesting :D

And I can't wait for That Event. Assuming That Event I read in the manga is the same That Event as the LN.
Aug 5, 2016 12:47 PM

Jan 2016
I wished they would have sticked with the character designs in the LN. even Ikta's mom look so different but still like the anime
Aug 5, 2016 1:00 PM

Jul 2015
This flashback ep was satisfactory. For some reason it felt good to see why Ikta and Yatori are so close.
Aug 5, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
antonn said:
Shrimperor said:
That was an interesting flashback, one that i don't remember being in Vol1. Altough i was sure they would do That Event this ep., this is still nice and interesting :D

And I can't wait for That Event. Assuming That Event I read in the manga is the same That Event as the LN.

It should be. I did read the end of Vol1 LN, and it was the same as in the manga, but with more exposition/details and stuff.

Zefyris said:

it is confirmed to be 13 episodes, yes. I think end of volume 2 is unlikely. They still have too much episodes for that, and usually in an adaptation, the first volume is always adapted in more episodes than the following ones. so end of volume 3 is more likely.

Let's just hope it won't be rushed af...
Aug 5, 2016 1:36 PM

Sep 2009
I should start out by saying how much of a pet peeve full episode flashbacks are for me, especially so early on in the story. The whole sequence would of been much more efficient and impactful if it were condensed into a moments dialogue between these two characters. These type of "full disclosure" esque episode should be left for an OVA or bonus at the end of the season. Slapping it inbetween story events only serves to demystify part of the story's magic and interrupt what was so far a nice flow.

All and all, meh. It wasn't terrible but I wish they didn't take a detour just to bring in more characterization.
Aug 5, 2016 1:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Is this confirmed for 13 episodes? Agh! That makes me sad. I'd gladly have full 2,3 cours of this.

This episode puts Ikta and Yatori's unique relationship into very appropriate context. Now I understand how although they are so different, they share a unique and special bond that doesn't necessarily have any romantic connotations.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 5, 2016 1:54 PM

Sep 2015
A good episode as always but still for some reason ı dont feel like giving 8 points for this anime ıdk why. I feel bad for the wolfs :( .
Aug 5, 2016 2:00 PM
Jul 2016
antonn said:
Shrimperor said:

Same here.
I was dry to see That Event , but I was pleased with the episode adaptating the flashback in between.

And 13 episodes?
They will rush Vol.2 to finalize well the vol.3
But, the unrest in two episodes? I dont like that coming...
Aug 5, 2016 2:08 PM

Sep 2014
Liked the episode. I liked how the wolf fight showed their chemistry.

I still have a problem with some of the face designs, especially Yatori's younger self looks so weird, but then again majority of the Main characters's faces look weird.
Aug 5, 2016 2:19 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Liked how they use the battle with the wolves to convey the brutality of war. There's no doubt this is one of the best Summer anime and it sucks for Alderamin to only have 13 episodes....
Aug 5, 2016 2:28 PM

Sep 2013
Monster exist :O
Hope there's a monster nation somewhere.

Ikta and Yatori as kids flashbacks about them meeting and bonding.

R.I.P. wolves, the leader probably knew they would be nearly wiped out after the first attack but there was no going back since they would die of starvation otherwise.
There was a waiting game but the leader chose to leave to save the child and now that the pack is only 3 they will survive :'(

I Am Ōkami

Aug 5, 2016 2:51 PM

Aug 2011
Vinci_Faisal said:

And 13 episodes?
They will rush Vol.2 to finalize well the vol.3
But, the unrest in two episodes? I dont like that coming...

No, they not gonna rush like speed train bullet. Basically ep 1,2,3,4 = Vol 1. ep 5 = vol 7 chapter 1. ep 6,7,8,9 = vol 2 and 10,11,12,13 = vol 3. I think it is normal for 1 volume to get 4 episode.
CrazyFrogzAug 5, 2016 3:09 PM
Aug 5, 2016 3:21 PM

Apr 2013
ichii_1 said:
Monster exist :O
Hope there's a monster nation somewhere.

No, once again it's a very approximative crunchyroll translation. What ikta said was rare/strange beast, not "monster". In other words, as a scientist, go travelling discovering new species and the like.
Aug 5, 2016 4:12 PM

Jan 2013
Thought the dialogues between yatori and ikta were pretty cringy to listen to.
No one talks like that and them being like 10 years old made it even worse.

It's the kind of bad dialogue that you only notice when it's presented with visuals and sound. Probably works in the novel.
Aug 5, 2016 4:13 PM

Jun 2013
oh man why do i feel sad fo the wolves
Aug 5, 2016 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
Beautiful episode, from the soundtracks of the simple life of a family to battling wolves.
Hate Keeps me warm
Aug 5, 2016 4:55 PM

May 2015
So pretty much a whole episode dedicated to the backstory of Ikta and Yatrisino. Nice. It was really good. That's some nice teamwork.

Aug 5, 2016 4:59 PM

Aug 2014
Pretty good episode, those were some smart wolves. It's true 10-year-olds hardly talk like that, but... needless to say those two are unique.

Loving this anime so far.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Aug 5, 2016 5:40 PM

Mar 2015
Excellent episode. Great to see Yotori's backstory and why she meshes so well with Ikta. A very serious young girl.
The sword that takes life gives life
Aug 5, 2016 5:44 PM

Mar 2015
Amazing episode with a great backstory. I felt sorry for the wolves at times, but there's nothing that could've been done to help them. Seeing Ikta and Yattori's bond develop like that was quite nice.

Liking this series more and more after each episode.

5/5
"Please call me... The Ultimate Hope."
Aug 5, 2016 6:34 PM
Jul 2015
I wanna know what would happen if that wolf was forced to do an IQ test.

It's me or the art changed a bit compared with the other chapters?

Aug 5, 2016 7:27 PM

Sep 2011
Nice episode, but I don't feel like this was a good time for it despite what happened last episode.
Aug 5, 2016 7:29 PM

Jun 2014
EDGY is the word to explain this episode.

Aug 5, 2016 7:50 PM

Jul 2009
So...now that that smart ass wolf has a scar on his eye and looked like he memorized their faces are we gonna see him again? And will he be an ally or a foe again?

Felt sorry for the wolves but they were in the wrong this time round. You gonna attack children, when they u best be prepared to get murked.
Aug 5, 2016 7:59 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I feel quite sorry for the wolves, they're just hungry. But main characters gotta stay alive or this anime wouldn't have existed at all.

Kid Ikta and Yatori were too genius for their age.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 5, 2016 8:25 PM

Dec 2013
That was definitely a top-class flashback episode.
Good characterization and use of appearances of what we've seen in the story already like the air balloon.
What would of made it better if there was hints on things we could see in the future but I don't think the chilled food is going to make much impact XD.
Aug 5, 2016 9:06 PM

Apr 2016
well..that was another good episode..I think they choose to do the flashback now to explain what happened in the last ep..I mean when yatori went on a rampage and ikta was able to calm her down..
Aug 5, 2016 11:12 PM

Jul 2016

But yeah, I also think that these two were too intelligent for their age, considering that they had to fend off wolves with the use of assorted things. That (somehow, partly?) explains the relationship and trust between these two characters.

I think that the use of the first part of the first episode was good---anyone else thought the same?

Hibbington said:

What would of made it better if there was hints on things we could see in the future but I don't think the chilled food is going to make much impact XD.

And yes, this thing too^
showing us how their 'technology' might impact their universe is a good hint for future generations later (if there would be any)... but they're slowly figuring stuff that might actually be useful for their technological advancement...aside from making chilled food.

"If beautiful women don’t celebrate their beauty, the entire human race loses out. Don’t you agree?”—Sonya

ƒ ♥♥
Aug 5, 2016 11:23 PM
Jul 2015
fucking author san giving us this episode for yatori fans imma i going to kill that guy for real what in the fuck they show this really

PD any light novel reader knows has yatory fan why i am anger for autor san
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» YATORI

Bijou146 - Aug 31, 2023

13 by Ash_In_Space »»
Apr 22, 9:24 PM

» Aren't the spirits completely unnecessary?

Yeetyus - Feb 9

5 by Zefyris »»
Mar 18, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

70 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

136 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:34 AM

» Why is the princess obsessed with Ilkta?

Aithusa21 - Jul 30, 2022

5 by Zefyris »»
May 18, 2023 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.