Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2016 6:43 AM

Jun 2013
No wonder it's being compared to SnK/AoT it's by Wit Studio who created the said series and the same people who created Owari no Seraph. While I was watching Owari no Seraph, I thought Yuu was just like another Eren Jaegar and I realized it was because of Wit Studio. It doesn't bother me though, nowadays there are rarely any original series that isn't inspired or reminiscent of something else (be that a movie, novel, Anime, manga, comic book, etc.) as long as it's executed well and isn't too cliche.

Still, I enjoyed the premise of the series, animation and color-wise, this series has to be one of the best even with the movement of the characters.

Ikoma looks like Eren Jaeger and Mikaela Hyakuya from Owari No Seraph had a love child and their love child has bad eyesight. I like his two-tone glasses though. The girls are pretty cute, I like Mumei a lot. I'm guessing she's older than she appears to be and her blade getas are awesome.

He's pretty much like Eren, Yuu and Mika rolled into one. I like how witty he is and how he invents his own weapons.

I'm going to look forward to this series for Spring 2016. I'm still going through my list to see what's worth anticipating this season.
臭い-
Apr 9, 2016 6:45 AM

May 2013
What I noticed:
-The way the Kabane entered the station was kinda lazy (If they are living in fear of invasion, you would think that they would have proper protocols for unusual train speeding situations)
-This anime encourages slitting wrists (lol jokes)
-The revenge vibe wasn't as strongly introduced (compared to SnK/AOT)
-MC conveniently knows Kabane follow blood
-White clothed guy's death was kinda anti-climactic (compared to the guy at beginning on the train, or the guy shot at the station)
-Needed a few more cinematics in some areas (in my opinion, like when his gun finally worked, or when he slit his wrist, etc)
-How the main character didn't get infected is beyond me (maybe later we get an explanation?)
-MC's past was kinda short (disappointed by that really, more might be revealed later on through character interactions/flashbacks in conversations)
-Soundtrack is a nice listen (I guess)
-Despite all my comments/complaints above, I'm still enjoying it so far ;-)
Apr 9, 2016 7:01 AM

Dec 2012
Wow it was so good, I already love the art, the characters are beautiful. The OSTs are amazing as usual with Hiroyuki Sawano.
This first episode obviously reminded SnK, with more blood, badass zombies and a beautiful animation. I'm looking forward to watch the second episode
Apr 9, 2016 7:08 AM

Aug 2014
bastek66 said:
What kind of virus turns people into zombies with metal heart? FICTIONAL, authors can come up with whatever they want.

Fail argument, as by that token the show can start introducing flying unicorns that shoot death lasers and you'd still call that "authors can do whatever they want". Even fictional series have a set of rules that separate it from random bullcrap.

But I already got a legit answer I can kinda buy, so whatever.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Apr 9, 2016 7:19 AM
Feb 2015
I f*cking love Hiroyuki Sawano
Apr 9, 2016 7:28 AM
Jun 2014
Well, some plot contrivances aside, what a first episode. Great character designs, great animation, gorgeous backgrounds, a great premise and some beautiful trains. What's not to love?

Seems very likely that Mumei may be the MC's sister, who survived through some twist of fate. At the very least, she's certainly infected - her strength at the end, the juxtaposition of her fight with the MC fighting off the infection, and her refusal to be checked are not coincidences.

I imagine he will likely help Ayame escape, and get a pass despite being obviously bitten because Ayame's father clearly knows about Mumei's secret.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here!
Apr 9, 2016 7:40 AM

Mar 2016
This series has the potential to be great, it has the right staff and studio and definitely has an amazing ost to support it. I'm just hoping they can manage the budget and take the story in the right direction rather than keeping it as another Attack on Titan.
Apr 9, 2016 7:43 AM

Jan 2016
Yay, I can enjoy some anime again
Apr 9, 2016 7:47 AM

Dec 2012
@Bibimbapski

Seraph of the End is a manga adaptation though, not original anime.
Apr 9, 2016 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
Spectacular but also very messed up in the narrative, in an almost schizophrenic, situations alternate with a certain lightness and surrealism, it is difficult to digest the episode overall. Another fault I can ascribe to this first episode, is that "stinks" so much of SNK.
Of the whole narrative, the concept most "striking" that can "translate" from anything, it's the same old story where the good by virtue of maintaining peace, behave and make the vile actions against their own kind. Excellent quality of the drawings, the same for the soundtrack.
One other thing that is clear from this episode, it is in a hurry to carry on the story, perhaps because there are not enough episodes.
Perhaps the best anime series of this season are the most simple and obvious, this is what I saw. They are the most attractive because there are fewer claims against them.
Apr 9, 2016 8:23 AM

Aug 2014
Very Impressive Ikomu! ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Apr 9, 2016 8:51 AM

Dec 2011
That was really good. Attack on Titan vibes there. Especially with the Steam Punk and Kabane targeting humans. Looking forward to the next episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2016 8:58 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty good, awesome animation, and i really enjoy the steampunk vibe !
Apr 9, 2016 9:48 AM
Apr 2014
That was interesting. But why did the MC not turn into on of them? If they actually explain this SOON then I can definitely watch this. I mean this is an important fact. Don't just ignore it.
Apr 9, 2016 9:59 AM

Jul 2008
I may be less critical then some but i actually really liked it. If i had to critiscize one part it would be that i have problems with the high pacing of the episode making the plot feel rushed, but i trust its for a reason.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" -Carl Edward Sagan
Apr 9, 2016 10:00 AM
Apr 2016
Nanashi said:
That was interesting. But why did the MC not turn into on of them? If they actually explain this SOON then I can definitely watch this. I mean this is an important fact. Don't just ignore it.

apparently stopping the virus from going into the brain, stops the infection or something... honestly its retarded, as if a virus would just vanish from your body when you stop them from going a certain direction for a few seconds.
Apr 9, 2016 10:18 AM
May 2010

lol how come he can reach that?
Apr 9, 2016 11:13 AM

Feb 2013
Just What I expected from this show, not gonna lie even If the plot is not súper original Im gonna enjoy this a lot.

Apr 9, 2016 11:33 AM

Sep 2014
Well finally an anime to look forward to this season.
I just hope it wont be rushed..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 9, 2016 12:04 PM
Apr 2014
NoobStomper said:

apparently stopping the virus from going into the brain, stops the infection or something... honestly its retarded, as if a virus would just vanish from your body when you stop them from going a certain direction for a few seconds.

Well he said something like that but let's be honest that weird machine he used definitely didn't stop the virus from going anywhere.

He could have at least tried to bleed it out or something like that. Personally, I would have been totally fine with that explanation then. But with the situation as it is the end was weird. I just hope they actually explain it next episode.
Apr 9, 2016 12:45 PM

May 2015
I liked the industrial and steampunk things, mixed with zombie creatures, mixed with attack on titan like action and everything.
I never take anime too seriously so I'll probably enjoy this.
signature.
Apr 9, 2016 1:00 PM

Sep 2015
First episode really gives a AoT/SnK vibe, but that's probably because of the premise.
Also doesn't help when it's the same studio that's doing it, or so I have heard.
Also when he was infected, I thought they were going to pull parasyte/AoT on us and have him half zombie or something.

Well they did do pretty well on the animation, especially with the 90s style, give it a bit old fashion feeling like how the industrial revolution should be. The steamgun kinds of bugs me though. Pressurized steam would never generate as much force as explosive firearms. They should swap over to explosives if they want sufficient penetration against those zombies(yes I'll be calling them zombies)

Never was very in to steampunk or zombie stuff, but it seems interesting enough.

All aboard the hype train(All the puns intended)

The real question is... why no MG mounts or artillery mounts like real armored trains?
Apr 9, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2014
I really don't understand why Wit keeps making wannabes of a series it already owns.

It's so formulaic now it's sad;
Kyojin; renaissance setting, giants, Sawano Hiroyuki
Seraph; modern setting, vampires, Sawano Hiroyuki
Kabaneri; 19th century, zombies, Sawano Hiroyuki

Still kinda enjoyable not gonna lie
JerkhovApr 9, 2016 1:52 PM
Apr 9, 2016 1:02 PM

Jan 2014
Nanashi said:
NoobStomper said:

Well he said something like that but let's be honest that weird machine he used definitely didn't stop the virus from going anywhere.

He could have at least tried to bleed it out or something like that. Personally, I would have been totally fine with that explanation then. But with the situation as it is the end was weird. I just hope they actually explain it next episode.

My understanding is that he cauterised the wound with a glowing ember and isolated the part of his body that was truly infected (his left arm). He then suffocated himself to not allow what comparatively little amount had allready passed his contraption to dissipate safely without giving it a chance to reach his brain. This might actually not be a virus, but something else that works similar to a necrotic venom as injected by some snakes.

zcv45 said:
The real question is... why no MG mounts or artillery mounts like real armored trains?

Because they simply do not seem to possess the technology (yet). Their steam tech seems to be pretty advanced, but their gunpowder tech not so much, if at all. Either they don't know how to build guns working on powder, or they're stuck in the matchlock era (as Japan historically was for a long period of time), which might lack power or at least rate of fire compared to steam operated weapons. MC seemed to be on to something, combining steam power with another 'explosive' mechanism.
LaionidasApr 9, 2016 1:07 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 9, 2016 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
Laionidas said:

My understanding is that he cauterised the wound with a glowing ember and isolated the part of his body that was truly infected (his left arm). He then suffocated himself to not allow what comparatively little amount had allready passed his contraption to dissipate safely without giving it a chance to reach his brain. This might actually not be a virus, but something else that works similar to a necrotic venom as injected by some snakes.

Because they simply do not seem to possess the technology (yet). Their steam tech seems to be pretty advanced, but their gunpowder tech not so much, if at all. Either they don't know how to build guns working on powder, or they're stuck in the matchlock era (as Japan historically was for a long period of time), which might lack power or at least rate of fire compared to steam operated weapons. MC seemed to be on to something, combining steam power with another 'explosive' mechanism.[/quote]

Good points, especially with the necrotic venom thing.
Apr 9, 2016 1:27 PM

Sep 2015
MysteriousBanana said:

It's pretty secure given the setting. The trains are responsible for using the horn to announce their arrival and (presumably) indicate they're safe and the trains do go straight to a quarantine zone where everyone is inspected and everything decontaminated. It's probably safe to assume there's a wall surrounding the quarantine zone as well.

The only real problem is how over-the-top the crash was (flipping multiple cars over the walls) and convoluted the reason the train was sounding its horn (conductor's death grip on the pull chain and the kabane's strange lean-in-lean-out eating habit) despite being compromised. The former should have been resolved with the train wreck damaging the bridge and preventing it from being raised any further, followed by all the kabane in the train flooding over to overwhelm defenses; the latter should have been resolved with the conductor still being alive, but alone, infected, and too scared to commit suicide (easily depicted by an unused suicide bag rolling at his feet while he keeps repeating "I don't want to die").

Nope, I wouldn't say that it was secure. Their protocol was pretty bad. They failed at many safety precautions.
For one, the train should be required to pass a 2-layer gate/draw bridge. After passing the 1st gate, which should isolate the train from outside threats. They will be inspected there. Once clear, they can pass the second gate. It's how modern quarantine works.
Even if as you said there was a wall, that won't be enough. That train was huge, and armored. If at full speed, even a thick wall won't be enough. It would at least crack the wall and allow zombies to go through. They need another draw-bridge plus a wall.

Another thing, the workers should not be directly behind the gate, controls and decontamination team should be at a separate protected platform until the train and gates are secured. They are at risk in the anime since there is nothing blocking them from a potentially infected train.
Then like, the anime, a docking car will dock on allowing personnel to inspect the interior and separate potential infected.
The decontamination begins, you don't want contaminated stuff to get in. Once that's done they train can pass the 2nd gate/draw bridge.

They also need guns and stuff along the entrance walls to kill off anything attached from a safe distance. You don;t want to drag zombies in with the train even if it's not infected. Anything that gets by can be killed between the 2 gates.
zcv45Apr 9, 2016 1:36 PM
Apr 9, 2016 1:28 PM

Oct 2013
Sallad4ever said:

lol how come he can reach that?

Shhh you'll startle the fanboys
Apr 9, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2013
Came for the industrial setting and steampunk elements, staying for the plot, character designs, and SnK parallels

holy crap the first ep was hype af
Apr 9, 2016 2:05 PM

Sep 2015
Gridfire said:

When designing a system like that, of course you'll try to anticipate every possible scenario but inventing ways to break your system is much more difficult than using hindsight based on previous experiences.

Completely true. If we were a writer, we would obviously want to make it believable. That means we would want to make the safety precaution top-notch to the best of our abilities. Or else people are going to complain why would anyone leave such an obvious flaw(Like what they are trying to do here)
But when you create a system you think is believable, it's hard to find a loophole, or else you wouldn't of been satisfied with such system in the first place.

TBH, there are flaws in their system, but not what people like to point out. They never shown a second gate for after-inspection. They also had the inspection/decontamination team exposed before the train and gates are secured.

But guess what people are complaining? "Why didn't the go out and inspect?"
Seriously? Exposing yourself to inspect a train? That's just idiotic... If people are to complain, they should complain on the right things.
Apr 9, 2016 2:05 PM

Oct 2011
Very similar to Attack on Titan, I guess plot wise it might be predictable. But dat animation and atmosphere makes it still enjoyable to watch.
Apr 9, 2016 2:48 PM

Nov 2015
Nice action, Mumei was a badass and the OSTs are super good

Apr 9, 2016 2:59 PM

Jul 2013
I'd rather be watching AoT season 2, but this'll have to do, I guess.
Apr 9, 2016 3:00 PM

Jul 2013
Hisio said:
I hope this is not the actual opening, because the song is awesome but they just use images taken from the show >.> lazy af

Why do you even watch the OP ?
Apr 9, 2016 3:15 PM

Jan 2016
Interesting story
Apr 9, 2016 3:20 PM

Oct 2013
I give episode 1 an A++. Action, tension, a compelling setting and characters so far. Maybe the producers will drop the ball later, but for a first EP it's outstanding.
Apr 9, 2016 3:35 PM

Jun 2008
Solid first episode.
Apr 9, 2016 3:51 PM

Jul 2010
Madaonaire said:
Most certainly this anime has good action, animation and music going for it.
Guess this will be one of the top rated anime of this season, which it partly deserves.
What I do really hate about this one is that it's a copy-paste from Shingeki no Kyojin by the same people.
So what if this is a huge success? Next season another copy-paste, but instead of steampunk zombies you now got some mindless werewolves or vampires running around instead? First maneuver gear and blades, now guns, next comes lasers...?

Zero originality, hope this copy-paste for $$$ trend doesn't get out of hand.
It's bad enough with all the trapped-in-fantasy-world settings we get lately, but at least they're not straight-out copy-paste.

Copy-paste...you mean inspired by?
Apr 9, 2016 3:51 PM

Sep 2014
Nothing new, female cast is annoying as hell, but it's still awesome :D.
Apr 9, 2016 3:55 PM

Jul 2014
Other than being the exact premise of Attack On Titan except with Titan's swapped out with "Zombies" and being set in a slightly older time period it's pretty okay, I mean, I probably won't stay up to date with it but its okay.

All the action lovers will stay on-top of it and praise it to high heavens even with it being literally a Attack On Titan copy-cat.
Apr 9, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2011
What an incredible first episode!! They better not come up with some bullshit and make this anime a 1 cour. This needs to be 24-26 so the world can be fully explored
Apr 9, 2016 5:20 PM

Jan 2015
I just can't fathom why people keep going AoT. Yes the studio is the same and the creators, but where the hell is this similar to AoT here? The fact that it's a story about humanity trying to survive ? Thats all? There is hundreds of stories with that theme. Ohh or no wait, maybe every creation that is about human extinction/survival is same as AoT?

Yeah I mean, for example, 'land of the dead' is just like AoT but with a different setting, right? *facepalm*

This feels like a zombie apocalypse with a twist. Not to mention that it's on industrial age. Stop the AoT bullcrap, this is different on a lot of levels.
pufonDApr 9, 2016 5:26 PM
Apr 9, 2016 5:24 PM

Mar 2013
Very Good start. Like most have said, the AOT vibe is present.
Apr 9, 2016 5:26 PM
Mar 2016
Rip-off spin-off alternative version whatever you say but its damn entertaining.
This should be the normal pace of the anime in general.

Rip-off spin-off alternative version whatever What matter is ...
Is the anime well made

Hope they continue the pace similarly.
West will receive this anime pretty well.
just hope they don't put Ecchi Things...

Anime industry should think about remake of popular anime. just like fullmatel alchemist
instead of making .... Ecchi & high school Things .. west is tired of these types .

Hope this will be better than Attack on Titan .

One complain is that the dump zombie type enemies ... no intelligence

Want to see more villain like The Joker, kira, heisenberg from breaking bad etc
Happy watching
Apr 9, 2016 5:30 PM

Jul 2015
First episode was really good and the OST is godly
Apr 9, 2016 5:34 PM

Mar 2012
Xenocrisi said:
shanimebib said:

No salts here. Just stating the pudding. In open broad daylight, they make a train stop to make sure it's safe and even inspect the people on board stark naked for injuries and in the darkness of night, they lower the bridge to let it in without a second thought when the train was not even on sight. You may justify with the dumb nobody who lowered the bridge though but yeah, there was his superior giving instructions as well.

Well yeah, you're not wrong at all, but DAMN, these are just details. Try to enjoy the show more, they have done a mistake, so what? They are humans. Don't be fussy.

I don't know you but stupidly huge mistakes like that really hurts the enjoyment of a show.
The whole point of the episode was to show how humanity is clouded by fear and then they act without caution? It just takes you out of the ilusion.
Apr 9, 2016 5:36 PM
Jan 2016
@Comic_Sans

Welp, our back-and-forth got moderated, so I'll just summarize my last reply in case you didn't see it:

You're arguing that there's specifically a "trains must come to full stop" safety protocol that was applied to the first train and that the contradiction was that it wasn't applied to the second train.

I'm arguing that there is no such protocol, the first train stopping was a result of the station applying the "trains can only be allowed in when the teams are ready" safety protocol, which they applied equally, without contradiction, to both trains.

From your reasoning, I can see why you believe there's a plot hole, but let's use an analogy to explain why I don't agree:

Say you're at a chemistry lab, there's an emergency eye wash for anyone who accidentally gets something in their eyes; safety protocol is clearly "if something gets in your eye, use the emergency eye wash"; Student A gets something in their eye, washes it out, while Student B doesn't get anything in their eye and thus doesn't wash their eyes.

You're basically complaining that Student B violated safety protocols because they didn't wash their eyes and that, if people cared about their eyes, everyone should wash their eyes regardless if they have anything in it. The former is simply untrue and the latter does not illustrate any sort of contradiction.
TyrelApr 9, 2016 7:28 PM
Apr 9, 2016 6:10 PM
Jan 2016
Xion69 said:
Want to see more villain like The Joker, kira, heisenberg from breaking bad etc
Have you tried Ajin? Satou is a fairly entertaining villain.
Apr 9, 2016 6:10 PM
Jan 2016
Swifty said:
I really hope this show turns out to be great, and it doesn't turn out to be a train wreck. pls don't disappoint us WIT.

Swifty said:
a train wreck.

I see what you did there.
Apr 9, 2016 6:23 PM

Apr 2013
The same fucking premise, flashy visuals, catchy song, steam-punk spiderman MC screaming like a maniac (whom no one gives a fuck about). They're not even trying anymore. Witty bastards aren't that witty anymore.
Apr 9, 2016 6:32 PM
Aug 2015
Man this season just gets better and better! This anime rocks! I thought it was gonna be another AOT but good thing they made it different! I love the idea of how people can be infected by Kabane!
Pages (19) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2016

395 by kirA_-_ »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

619 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 16, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2016

408 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 16, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

525 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 15, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2016

395 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 15, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.