Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2016 6:13 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saw the raw just now, great action, soundtrack, and quite a bit of bloodshed. There's not much censorship either and I liked most of the voice acting.

The OP song played at the end so we'll get the ED theme song soon too. Damn, the OST really does remind me of SnK but still fairly good start so far. Mumei's shoes though.....I would not want to get hit by that. I felt episode was a bit too fast though. I hope they maintain a consistent pacing for the show.

Stark700Apr 7, 2016 6:19 AM
Apr 7, 2016 7:22 AM

Feb 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saw the raw just now, great action, soundtrack, and quite a bit of bloodshed. There's not much censorship either and I liked most of the voice acting.

The OP song played at the end so we'll get the ED theme song soon too. Damn, the OST really does remind me of SnK but still fairly good start so far. Mumei's shoes though.....I would not want to get hit by that. I felt episode was a bit too fast though. I hope they maintain a consistent pacing for the show.

Indeed, it was amazing. Ofc it gave AoT vibes and stuff, but it's really great. I don't care if it ends up being AoT in another universe, as long as I enjoy watching it. They haven't finished the OP tho... And yes the episode felt kinda fast. The animation was great, I hope it will stay like this until the end. I doubt it cause WIT studio, but let's have hope xD For me, it is the best first episode so far. Well, I hope we will get subs soon. :D
I tried to be normal once. Worst two minutes of my life. ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`▭´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Apr 7, 2016 8:27 AM

Feb 2016
Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.

I'm so hyped! I haven't seen it yet, but how is the MC/s?[/quote]They were pretty good. Both Ikoma and Mumei are very interesting. Ikoma is clever af and Mumei badass af. xD It is worth watching.
ArdanazApr 7, 2016 1:21 PM
I tried to be normal once. Worst two minutes of my life. ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`▭´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Apr 7, 2016 8:56 AM

Jun 2014
So far I really like the idea. The visuals are pretty stunning, let's see if it manages to keep that level of animation on a consistent level. A lot of best girl potential. It's pretty gory right off the bat. I love it when shit hits the fan. And yes, it is pretty similar to SNK. The OST though. I love the OP!
:3
Apr 7, 2016 8:59 AM

Apr 2014
The cel-shading here is done so much more better than what God Eater attempted. The character design has such a 90s feel to them as well. If all else fails im here for the visuals and ost.
Apr 7, 2016 9:04 AM
Jul 2015
Nice start though i worry about the visuals dropping later they already have 3 animation director working on the first episode and the OP isn't finished.
Apr 7, 2016 9:07 AM

Dec 2014
Tetsurou Araki did do a great job making things bigger than what it is, over-the-top but not overblown, it's so intense it makes you forgot how shallow and uninspired it was because you are constantly being bombarded with all these emotions and drama and blood and parents being eaten in front of their kid and Hiroyuki Sawano's distinctive music drowning you and extremely high quality animation and really really attractively-drawn female characters that requires constant screencaps. It's just one small step of becoming a JoJo anime. Oh so close.
Apr 7, 2016 9:13 AM
Jul 2012
This seems a bit over the top but it's well done so far and the characters are enjoyable as well as the great soundtrack.
Apr 7, 2016 9:42 AM

Jan 2015
HOORAY GORE NOT CENSORED

Too bad it will be just 1-cour
Apr 7, 2016 10:17 AM

Nov 2007

If you can rationalize the two pictures above you will realize plot wise how bad the first episode was. I will not say more.

Everything reeked Shingeki no Kyojin. But I gotta give credits where it's due. I think the MCs are likable so far so it's still watchable. After the first impression, I am not gonna give this more than a 6.5/10 if it doesn't improve.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2016 10:24 AM

Jan 2015
shanimebib said:

If you can rationalize the two pictures above you will realize plot wise how bad the first episode was. I will not say more.

I don't see anything wrong with the two pictures above.
TyrelApr 7, 2016 2:26 PM
Apr 7, 2016 10:33 AM

Nov 2007
Xenocrisi said:
I don't see anything wrong with the pictures above.

No salts here. Just stating the pudding. In open broad daylight, they make a train stop to make sure it's safe and even inspect the people on board stark naked for injuries and in the darkness of night, they lower the bridge to let it in without a second thought when the train was not even on sight. You may justify with the dumb nobody who lowered the bridge though but yeah, there was his superior giving instructions as well.

Xenocrisi said:
You must be the one who gave 3 out of 5 right? Huh.

If that is difficult to figure it out when I said my initial impression was a 6.5/10 then it will be difficult for you to fathom the two pictures I posted to rationalize.
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2016 10:36 AM

Mar 2015
The production is a mess.. I mean, this doesn't look like the one mega polished character design from the trailer, and they are using 3 animations directors and 3 episodes directors just for the first episode

Wit production, no surprises.

Story wise looks quite good.
Apr 7, 2016 10:36 AM

Jul 2013
My only problem with this ep is the OP. Song is great but the visual leaves something to be desired. I guess they didn't finish the animations for it on time which is no surprise coz it's WIT being WIT. Everything else looks fine though.
Apr 7, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2015
shanimebib said:
Xenocrisi said:
I don't see anything wrong with the pictures above.

No salts here. Just stating the pudding. In open broad daylight, they make a train stop to make sure it's safe and even inspect the people on board stark naked for injuries and in the darkness of night, they lower the bridge to let it in without a second thought when the train was not even on sight. You may justify with the dumb nobody who lowered the bridge though but yeah, there was his superior giving instructions as well.

Well yeah, you're not wrong at all, but DAMN, these are just details. Try to enjoy the show more, they have done a mistake, so what? They are humans. Don't be fussy.

shanimebib said:
Xenocrisi said:
You must be the one who gave 3 out of 5 right? Huh.

If that is difficult to figure it out when I said my initial impression was a 6.5/10 then it will be difficult for you to fathom the two pictures I posted to rationalize.

My bad. As you can see I deleted that part of my reply, it was just a stupid observation
Apr 7, 2016 10:52 AM

Apr 2015
ColdBreeze said:
Are all the people in the anime so shiny?

No they are all oiled or sweaty because of the Steampunk.

JK, I have no idea why but it seems like that.
Apr 7, 2016 11:08 AM

Nov 2007
Xenocrisi said:
Well yeah, you're not wrong at all, but DAMN, these are just details. Try to enjoy the show more, they have done a mistake, so what? They are humans. Don't be fussy.

It's funny because I gave credit where it's due. But you seem to have picked the remarks that you didn't like in particular. So what is this? We have to always go OMIGOD! THIS SHOW IS AMAZING and cannot criticize? This is not how it works.

As for the
Xenocrisi said:
My bad. As you can see I deleted that part of my reply, it was just a stupid observation

You may want to edit and remove "The saltiness began~" part because it was stupider.
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2013
Aimer and Chelly for OP and ED? + Sawano Hiroyuki? Music 10/10
Apr 7, 2016 11:47 AM
Jan 2015
Despite some of it's fault, I still really enjoyed the first episode, it had some great action sequences, a very good soundtrack and some superb animation.

It'd probably give this episode a good 8/10 -- I really hope this show turns out to be great, and it doesn't turn out to be a train wreck. pls don't disappoint us WIT.
Apr 7, 2016 11:52 AM

Nov 2011
Tokoya said:
As long as he's not like Eren in terms of personality I'm fine because this way the trolls won't have anything to work with there lol

Atleast im not alone.
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 7, 2016 1:27 PM

Sep 2015
Aaaw man this is going to be epic !
I really really really looking forward watching it next week
(omg EGOIST (*´▽`*))
Apr 7, 2016 1:29 PM

Aug 2014
Thread cleaned

I removed a ton of posts about the subs and other off-topic chatter. Please post about the episode itself and don't start asking for links or providing them.
Apr 7, 2016 1:34 PM

Mar 2016
This series looks great and since i never watched SnK I can judge it without having to compare the shows and just watch it for what it is. And from the first episode it looks really promising, the design is really cool and i like this mix of old Japan-Steampunk universe. The only fear I have is that it will be too overhyped like One Punch Man.
Apr 7, 2016 1:57 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The violence and the animations were nice. BGM was nice too. Some of the storytelling is left to be desired imo. Also pacing was pretty fast, so I'm assuming it will be a one cour series.

4/5
Apr 7, 2016 1:59 PM
Feb 2015
Am I the only one who did not understand the end? How does strangling yourself help to kill a VIRUS?
Apr 7, 2016 2:09 PM

Nov 2014
That was pretty damn awesome.
The MC was pretty cool, and loli girl was badass

Hi there
Apr 7, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2012
Music is epic, I didnt even know that Sawano was working on this.
Apr 7, 2016 2:14 PM
Jun 2015
A mix of "Attack on Titan" and a "Black Jack" MC with some Zombie-Like creatures.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2016 2:15 PM

Nov 2007
DrBlock42 said:
Am I the only one who did not understand the end? How does strangling yourself help to kill a VIRUS?

I am assuming this will be explained later. Animation and art aside, the thing that I am appreciating the most is the main character — Ikoma. It has been shown that he has been doing his own researches on how to face the Kabane. He was even shown hiding the remnants of a Kabane body part for that purpose and it won't be surprising that he actually figured it out how to counter the transformation, or at least gambled on it (strangling himself). He honestly wanted to save the guy who was shot dead because of his injury, but as he said, the injury couldn't have been due to an injury from Kabane because it didn't show the symptoms that are pretty quick in normal circumstances.

So, yeah. I am sure there will be an explanation for that. We are not supposed to understand by what has been shown thus far.
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2016 2:17 PM

Oct 2013
Steampunk Attack on Titan.
>Fortresses? YES
>Walls? YES
>Semi-Intelligent Grotesque Lifeform made from former humans? YES

>IT'S BEEN FIVE YEARS? YES

OST is Awesome, Animation is ok, but Art is top tier. Really liked the first episode, it's been a long time since Noitanima showed something so good.

Really looking foward to this anime.
Apr 7, 2016 2:22 PM
Jul 2014
Pretty fun episode, really liking the character designs. Sawano's music is good as usual though I felt there was a scene or two where the music sounded a little too epic when it didn't need to.

I wonder if this being an Amazon Prime exclusive will hurt it's popularity at all, though a lot of people pirate anime anyway so maybe not.
Apr 7, 2016 2:22 PM

Feb 2015
The art is so pretty.

I think it's a pretty good start! I didn't watch AoT so maybe this will seem fresh to me.
Apr 7, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
Wow, this is definitely looking like it's going to live up to the hype. This is as good as first episodes tend to get and is almost certainly on par with Re:Zero's first episode. I'm just hoping the MC doesn't become like Eren later down the line.

Also, even though they seemingly haven't completely animated it, I'm absolutely loving the OP as well.
Apr 7, 2016 2:25 PM

Apr 2014
It's like a more modern version of Attack on Titan with zombies, but it's still very enjoyable to watch. No censorship is also a plus and I'm liking the OST so far

The animation quality is of course very high and the characters are likable

Apr 7, 2016 2:26 PM
Aug 2015
Zahylon said:
>Semi-Intelligent Grotesque Lifeform made from former humans? YES

I'll be really pissed if that's the case.
Apr 7, 2016 2:27 PM

Jan 2015
Ok, this was meh. Character designs seem off and the animation also is off. But hopefully animation will improve.

That swinging back kick was awesome! Well I'm hooked but I wouldn't say this will be AOTS or anything.

Apr 7, 2016 2:28 PM
Aug 2015
danieltortoisee said:
Also, even though they seemingly haven't completely animated it, I'm absolutely loving the OP as well.

So the current one isn't the one we'll see in future episodes?
Apr 7, 2016 2:29 PM

Jun 2012
twas alright I guess, cookie-cutter 1st episode
Apr 7, 2016 2:31 PM

Sep 2010
+ OST was godlike thanks to the gods of music Sawano, Aimer, and Egoist.
+ Animation was on point, can't wait to see future fight scenes.
+ Art style awesome. Love that it is stylized but gritty. The color tone is also unique, compared to AoT's theme of orange and Seraph's theme of grays and whites.
+ For a hot blooded shounen MC, I actually like him since he's intelligent enough to back up most of his actions.
- OP could use some work, not sure if its final though (A mash-up of the anime episodes and previews).

Overall, awesome hook episode. Can't wait for more.
Apr 7, 2016 2:34 PM

Jul 2014
On_the_Lam said:
danieltortoisee said:

So the current one isn't the one we'll see in future episodes?

I don't know honestly. I've just read a lot of people saying that, and I can kind of see what they mean. Oh, and it's Wit Studio, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised after they seemingly completely ran out of budget right at the end of Seraph's first cour among whatever else they've done.
Apr 7, 2016 2:35 PM

Sep 2011
Video quality was shit and the subs are eh, but other than that... The episode was quite good. Can't say it's AOTS like people are parading about weeks ago, etc. or even now. Art is good and animation seems nice. OP is eh. Usually a fan of EGOIST but it wasn't that great.

If people are archiving this, I suggest not keeping the current one that is all over right now. Current subs out are screencaps lmao not rips.

Encode settings:

Frames are off, 4:4:4 encoding for no reason, and the audio is terrible as well compared to what you'd get from CR videos. Amazon prime for you.
TyrelApr 7, 2016 5:22 PM
Apr 7, 2016 2:37 PM

Nov 2015
lol, this show is basically an amalgamation of cliches 11/10
Apr 7, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2014
Feels like I'm watching The Walking Dead where they're trying to make something that isn't very much of a threat appear far far more deadly... and failing miserably.

Seriously, when a little girl with a weapon that is nowhere near as effective as a sword can one-shot them... yeah. This is dumb.
Apr 7, 2016 2:38 PM

Jul 2011
i'm loving the first episode!
It was intense, powerful, and unique.
The similarity with AOT didn't bother me at all, and i could see that this one has a different concept and i cant wait to see how the story develop.

I always tend to dislike powerful loli in other anime but i love the one here! Because usually their character are too otaku-ish for my taste, So far there's only two loli that i like in anime, Rita in shingeki no bahamut and the girl in this one.

- The OP is so good
- Araki's directing is exceptional as usual, such a pro♥
- The character design are unique, vintage, and attractive
- The setting is good
- STEAMPUNK ELEMENT
- TRAINS!!!!!
- Music and sound is good
- Art is good
- Animation is good
- Scenery/setting are interesting
- There are no cringeworthy dialogue
- no wish-fulfillment MC
- the girls are not sexualized
- the nudity isn't sexualized
- the gore and blood isn't just for the sake of goriness
- the MC looks unconventionally hot and i want to sniff his shirtless body
milloApr 7, 2016 2:46 PM
Apr 7, 2016 2:38 PM

Jan 2012
Well tbh I'm less than impressed...
For some weird reasons I felt like it was full CGI animation for a few seconds at the beginning... I thought it would be fine and I'd get used to it but the art style really bugs me. Especially the female characters.
I have to agree with a post above about the fact that it is a bit stupid that they would wait and inspect the train during the day but lower the bridge right away at night... that may be cause the train was on time but still foolish.
It was intense and all right from the beginning and that's actually pretty good but somehow the intensity didn't really affect me... if that even makes sense... I even felt this episode was long.
Anyway I don't think I will continue to watch this one ><
Apr 7, 2016 2:39 PM

Feb 2013
'mumei' huh, that brother of hers gave her a name that literally translates to 'noname'.

The Attack on Titans vibe was obvious, but I'll just brush it off as the same studio using the same art assets bc it works.
Apr 7, 2016 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
This was a pretty good first episode, the first 3 minutes especially was really engaging. Like the art style and ost as well, animation was also decent. 4/5 definitely looking forward to next episode. This episode was a solid 7/10.

GoldenDevilGamer said:
The violence and the animations were nice. BGM was nice too. Some of the storytelling is left to be desired imo. Also pacing was pretty fast, so I'm assuming it will be a one cour series. The characters seems interesting as well.

4/5

It's alreardy confirm to be 1 cour.
keragammingApr 7, 2016 2:46 PM
Apr 7, 2016 2:43 PM

Apr 2011
Holy shit the main character is crazy, he almost hanged himself LOL.

DrBlock42 said:

He stopped the virus from reaching his brain, but that doesn't explain how the virus died. Maybe the virus dies if it doesn't end up affecting you ?
Apr 7, 2016 2:44 PM

May 2014
Great first episode for me. Looking forward to the rest.
Apr 7, 2016 2:50 PM

Aug 2013
Well I'll be staying for the ride!

The visual are pretty good with their design having a japanese steam punk design, not to mention that the character do have a little 90s design feel to them as someone pointed it out.

Plot wise it's interesting as in this they have a Zombie like paranoia to each other and rightly to be feared I guess. But with AoT you just have to fear anything that's bigger than you so not much on the paranoia side really. Well that was at the beginning of AoT though from I remember while reading the manga.

But I like this setting a bit more as the Zombie like people do give a sense that they are aware, but can't do crud to stop themselves eating people.

Anyway let's see what our male MC can do then shall we?
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2016

393 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2016

544 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 8, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.