Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2016 4:21 PM

Mar 2015
Seriously, i don't get why 80% of the reviews give this show 5/10 or less, and why the score has dropped so much after the last episode aired.

It wasn't perfect, but it was fun to watch and mostly accomplished what it tried to do: being a mindless action series with zombies and steampunk weapons.

Sure, the plot is dumb, especially in the second half, but did you seriously expect anything more from it? It was obvious from the start how this show was gonna be and most people seem to forget that.

Honestly, the only reason i see for this is that everyone is jumping on the "let's hate something because it is popular and didn't fully live up to the hype" train (pun intended).
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 5:08 PM

Jan 2013
I mean if were talking animation/sound alone, its already leagues above anything else that aired this season. Idk I loved it, the story, characters, and everything else. I'd love a second season of this over AOT tbh.
Jul 4, 2016 5:13 PM
Apr 2016
Because it's mediocre and the animation quality heavily dropped after the beginning. An average score of 7.6 is perfectly fine.
Jul 4, 2016 5:24 PM

Oct 2013
It's mediocre/boring overall, the animation and soundtrack tip it to above average though.
Jul 4, 2016 10:16 PM

May 2016
Because it went to shit halfway through, if the series just stayed as a mindless zombie action flick then it would of been fine but no, it tried to add all sorts of crap which ended up destroying the quality of the show. Also that ending was complete shit.
Jul 4, 2016 10:24 PM

Mar 2010
Because Biba happened and it went from an action survival to your typical man vs villain crap. It would have been fine if Biba had some character build but he was just a shallow shell of a villain who acted solely for shock value.
Jul 5, 2016 1:45 AM

Jan 2013
Jeez no one's ever positive about anything on these forums anymore. Thought their would be at least another person who would defend this show but nope, apparently having a plot in a proclaimed "mindless zombie action flick", is a bad thing. The second half was the better half imo and the animation stayed consistent throughout the whole show.
Jul 5, 2016 2:30 AM

Jan 2015
Lol, adding more wreck to the train is so much fun

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 5, 2016 2:43 AM

Jun 2015
Madness17 said:
Seriously, i don't get why 80% of the reviews give this show 5/10 or less, and why the score has dropped so much after the last episode aired.

It wasn't perfect, but it was fun to watch and mostly accomplished what it tried to do: being a mindless action series with zombies and steampunk weapons.

Sure, the plot is dumb, especially in the second half, but did you seriously expecnagi no asukara.
t anything more from it? It was obvious from the start how this show was gonna be and most people seem to forget that.

Honestly, the only reason i see for this is that everyone is jumping on the "let's hate something because it is popular and didn't fully live up to the hype" train (pun intended).

I never liked it to begin with. It tried to be a dark and good anime, but failed. I prefer the second half over the first one because the second half didn't try to be dark and serious. The animation, the opening and Mumei were the only + points of this anime. I would like this anime if it was an ecchi like hotd. Mumei is hot asf
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 5, 2016 3:11 AM

Apr 2011
I did adore this series, and while not giving an above-average score to this as sometimes the suspense faltered, it was a beautifully rendered anime with stunning art and animation. Its misstep —as seen by the majority— seems to primarily be related to its comparison to Shingeki no Kyojin, and this is unfortunate, because I believe that if its audience would have seen this as an individual medium instead of a sister-show to Shingeki no Kyojin, it would have done better with the public.

And as an unpopular opinion, I idolize Biba most out of the character cast.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jul 5, 2016 6:45 PM

Apr 2015
AmMar-Sama said:
I don't even get why people were excited about this in the first place. It was obvious from the very beginning that this is going to be bad. I mean, all the hints were there.
I never really understood where all that hype was coming from.

I feel you. It was below average from the first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2016 10:38 PM
Aug 2015
Madness17 said:

Sure, the plot is dumb, especially in the second half, but did you seriously expect anything more from it? It was obvious from the start how this show was gonna be and most people seem to forget that.

Exactly, not gonna add more. It seemed to me that they were waiting for it to end just to give it 2 or 3, all that hate doesn't make sense to me at all.
Mugi__nZkJul 5, 2016 10:43 PM
Jul 5, 2016 10:54 PM
Mar 2015
Answer: Too many fucking anime "snobs" around who have to bitch about little things while they pick the leftover furikake from their teeth. Wannabe motherfuckers...that's why.
Jul 6, 2016 2:11 AM
Oct 2010
Madness17 said:

it just shows us that western have shitty taste for 80's anime
FYI this anime in japan have a good reception

http://animeanime.jp/article/2016/07/05/29330.html

it ranks no2 best anime this springs
no 1 is RE:ZERO
Jul 6, 2016 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
Xenlai said:
Because Biba happened and it went from an action survival to your typical man vs villain crap. It would have been fine if Biba had some character build but he was just a shallow shell of a villain who acted solely for shock value.

Also Mumei's stupidity for siding with him, the lackluster ending with short uninteresting fights, and a lack of romance. Ikoma should have at least given Mumei a good bare-bottom spanking (for all the slapstick nonsense inflicted on him).
Jul 7, 2016 2:01 PM
May 2012
Madness17 said:

Good question. I still don't understand why everyone always like that anyway.

Different people, different taste I guess...

In fact, I feel like it was filled with words that reek of insults, discrimination, mockeries, and inconsiderate thoughts or something.

Am I the only one who were actually care about this show? Although it's all 100% original, not based on manga or whatever, it could've done better.

Hell, even the thread that I did few months ago was pretty much explained this & everything I said was true. All of it. I guess the director of Guilty Crown & AOT & the writer of Code Geass has just been smoking at this point.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1476479

Don't ask me why guys. Because I'm simply a big fan of anime & is just that why am I getting passionate into it just like other shows are.
JafriZinJul 7, 2016 2:07 PM
Jul 7, 2016 2:29 PM

Sep 2009
I don't get all the hate either.. I legitimately enjoyed most of it, I liked all the characters, the plot wasn't much but it was easy to follow, animation was definitely consistent (anyone who says otherwise are in denial), the overall art style and aesthetics was better than most of the anime of the season. What I find funny is that people went gaga over far more mediocre animes in the past (animes I won't name). If all you're doing is comparing this to Attack on Titan then you're truly missing out on a great anime.

I.. r-really liked... Takumi... I don't know why...
Jul 7, 2016 2:41 PM

Jul 2015
still so much better than boring shit like flying witch or tanaka-kun
Jul 7, 2016 3:55 PM

Jul 2012
People say it's generic/mediocre, but even if the basic plot itself isn't unique, it's still very different than most anime. I mean, there's no school of any kind, there are zombie-like enemies, and the main setting is on a train. I can't think of any other anime like that...except for maybe Attack on Titan minus the trains and zombie aspect of the enemies.
Jul 7, 2016 4:27 PM

Jun 2013
Major123 said:
Jeez no one's ever positive about anything on these forums anymore. Thought their would be at least another person who would defend this show but nope, apparently having a plot in a proclaimed "mindless zombie action flick", is a bad thing. The second half was the better half imo and the animation stayed consistent throughout the whole show.

I felt as though the first half was a solid 8 and the second half a 4 so just split the difference and called it a 6. I can understand how people could be okay with the second half plot, I just honestly thought it was boring.
Jul 7, 2016 5:22 PM

Jan 2014
I wouldn't take it too personally, it is what it is I mean what can you do.

I don't think the show is a masterpiece by any means, but a 2/3 out of 10? It's nowhere near that bad..
Jul 7, 2016 5:24 PM

Oct 2015
The real question should be "What was with all the hype?"

It was utterly boring. Why this anime even got into top 150 will always be a mystery to me.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 7, 2016 5:25 PM

Apr 2011
moncikoma said:
Madness17 said:

it just shows us that western have shitty taste for 80's anime
FYI this anime in japan have a good reception

http://animeanime.jp/article/2016/07/05/29330.html

it ranks no2 best anime this springs
no 1 is RE:ZERO

Honestly? I'm not surprised. For all of the bitching and moaning I keep seeing in the pretentious reviews, I'm sure a lot of people in Japan like this show just for the animation and nostalgia alone. I seriously dug it, even if the last episode was weak. I mean it felt very original, the characters were solid enough for the stereotypes that they were portraying, the character design was s l i c k.

I'm not ashamed to admit I gave it a 8. (Originally a 7 maybe, but the retro design was quite appealing and gave it an extra point.)

The ridiculous hate is wholly unjustified, no way this deserves a 3 or lower.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
shawnofthedeadzJul 26, 2016 11:04 AM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jul 7, 2016 5:53 PM

Dec 2007
Solid 10/10 for me because most of you apparently have bad taste in anime. Series was great. Short and powerful along with simply being very enjoyable. Sawano literally added the topping to the cake with his music. Don't think too much and deep. Everything is cliché unless it becomes a shitfest of everything which everyone seems to like more. The execution of the series was terrific. Watching the entire series in one go is really the best way for this. Like a 3-hour long epic movie.
Jul 7, 2016 6:59 PM

Jan 2011
I was expecting the end to be bad from seeing this thread.
But it was actually pretty good overall.
Jul 7, 2016 7:25 PM

Jan 2013
Quirkiness101 said:
Major123 said:

I felt as though the first half was a solid 8 and the second half a 4 so just split the difference and called it a 6. I can understand how people could be okay with the second half plot, I just honestly thought it was boring.
Well I thought the second half kept up the same pace as the first half while adding a new story arc.
Jul 7, 2016 11:08 PM

Dec 2015
Because we are supposed to be getting AoT season 2 instead of this? :P
Jul 8, 2016 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
Major123 said:
Quirkiness101 said:

Well I thought the second half kept up the same pace as the first half while adding a new story arc.
Yeah, I agree with you. The story itself wasn't really special, but it kept things interesting with new heights of tension and emotional distress. It also allowed the show to end somewhat conclusively even though the world is still filled with Kabane. I honestly don't think I would change anything (working with 12 episodes)...except maybe make Biba's motives slightly more clear.
Jul 8, 2016 12:47 AM

Jul 2012
One said:
WIT Studio + Hiroyuki Sawano + Tetsurou Araki + Ichiro Okouchi + Haruhiko Mikimoto + Aimer + EGOIST. Basically the staff was the reason for the hype, that and the fact that it has a unique aesthetic in a setting rarely seen in anime with steampunk and zombies mixed in.
Jul 8, 2016 1:10 AM

Oct 2015
Phoebe3315 said:
One said:
WIT Studio + Hiroyuki Sawano + Tetsurou Araki + Ichiro Okouchi + Haruhiko Mikimoto + Aimer + EGOIST. Basically the staff was the reason for the hype, that and the fact that it has a unique aesthetic in a setting rarely seen in anime with steampunk and zombies mixed in.
That cast means nothing if all they were gonna do was create a blatant rip-off of AoT for the first few episodes. It's not the setting that matters the most, neither is it zombies for sure. This anime is one of the most unoriginal ones I have ever watched to date. And yes, it does matter to me if we get the same kind of shit twice. It really is nothing different than inserting ecchi into a series to get more sales.

In anime like these, the biggest factor for me would be the thrill. What thrill is there to enjoy when the same idea has already been applied to another anime before? No thrill = no enjoyment. It was boring from the get-go.
OneJul 8, 2016 1:15 AM
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 8, 2016 1:15 AM

Jun 2016
I think that people just had high hopes. I mean, it's not bad, but it's definitely not great, either.
(Translator's note: keikaku means plan)
Just according to keikaku.
Jul 8, 2016 1:50 AM

Jul 2012
One said:
Phoebe3315 said:
That cast means nothing if all they were gonna do was create a blatant rip-off of AoT for the first few episodes. It's not the setting that matters the most, neither is it zombies for sure. This anime is one of the most unoriginal ones I have ever watched to date. And yes, it does matter to me if we get the same kind of shit twice. It really is nothing different than inserting ecchi into a series to get more sales.

In anime like these, the biggest factor for me would be the thrill. What thrill is there to enjoy when the same idea has already been applied to another anime before? No thrill = no enjoyment. It was boring from the get-go.
The staff matters because as a result there are amazing visuals and songs...the setting and zombie part matters because it's still rarely seen in anime. People probably wouldn't have been as excited if the same staff was working on an original anime set in a high school. Oh and SURPRISE, there are lots of people who WANT to see shows similar to Attack on Titan. If you thought this was just a stupid rip-off that would give you no enjoyment, you probably shouldn't have wasted your time watching it.
Jul 8, 2016 1:56 AM

Oct 2015
Phoebe3315 said:
One said:

The staff matters because as a result there are amazing visuals and songs...the setting and zombie part matters because it's still rarely seen in anime. People probably wouldn't have been as excited if the same staff was working on an original anime set in a high school. Oh and SURPRISE, there are lots of people who WANT to see shows similar to Attack on Titan. If you thought this was just a stupid, unoriginal rip-off that would give you no enjoyment, you probably shouldn't have wasted your time watching it.
What...? So you're telling me to judge a series without even watching it? Let alone know right from the start that it ripped-off a certain series?

I decided to watch it because it was getting very popular and one of my friends wanted me to try it as well.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 8, 2016 2:03 AM

Sep 2015
it's a boring, generic story with one of the worst mc's i've ever seen. not even the fighting scenes were good. paused at episode 6 and had to force myself to finish it
the only good thing was the animation. the rest is utter garbage - really 7.56 is way to high

Jul 8, 2016 2:05 AM

Jul 2012
One said:
Phoebe3315 said:
The staff matters because as a result there are amazing visuals and songs...the setting and zombie part matters because it's still rarely seen in anime. People probably wouldn't have been as excited if the same staff was working on an original anime set in a high school. Oh and SURPRISE, there are lots of people who WANT to see shows similar to Attack on Titan. If you thought this was just a stupid, unoriginal rip-off that would give you no enjoyment, you probably shouldn't have wasted your time watching it.
What...? So you're telling me to judge a series without even watching it? Let alone know right from the start that it ripped-off a certain series?

I decided to watch it because it was getting very popular and one of my friends wanted me to try it as well.
Oh, I assumed you saw the PVs or something and hated it. You said it was boring from the get-go so maybe you should have dropped it if you couldn't care for it at all. Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you about how different this series is from AoT, I was just telling you why it got a lot of hype. Staff matters, like a lot. And people want to see things similar to shows they like. Most AoT fans like this, at least most of the ones who are willing to look at it as anything other than a rip-off.
Jul 8, 2016 2:15 AM

Oct 2015
Phoebe3315 said:
One said:

Oh, I assumed you saw the PVs or something and hated it. You said it was boring from the get-go so maybe you should have dropped it if you couldn't care for it at all. Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you about how different this series is from AoT, I was just telling you why it got a lot of hype. Staff matters, like a lot. And people want to see things similar to shows they like. Most AoT fans like this, at least most of the ones who are willing to look at it as anything other than a rip-off.
Look, I watched the whole series. The first episode was okay and I thought this outta be an okay watch. But little did I expect, it got extremely boring afterwards. Everything from the main character clearly being a carbon copy of Eren to Mumei being a loli version of Mikasa. Biba felt like an empty villain, lacking any kind of depth. Not to mention the generic ending.

PS. I don't prefer to drop any anime.
OneJul 8, 2016 2:21 AM
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 8, 2016 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
i have no idea,i actually liked the anime a lot
Jul 8, 2016 2:24 AM

Jul 2012
One said:
Phoebe3315 said:
Look, I watched the whole series. The first episode was okay and I thought this outta be an okay watch. But little did I expect, it got extremely boring afterwards. Everything from the main character clearly being a carbon copy of Eren to Mumei being a loli version of Mikasa. Biba felt like an empty villain, lacking any kind of depth. Not to mention the generic ending.
Okay. I could make a huge list of reasons why Ikoma/Mumei are unlike Eren/Mikasa, but I won't. Believe whatever you want. I answered your question so I'm done here.
Jul 8, 2016 4:33 AM

Feb 2015
all because biba. blame biba rather than talking about the haters becasue most KnK haters born after biba appearence.
Jul 8, 2016 11:39 AM
May 2012
Tevens said:
all because biba. blame biba rather than talking about the haters becasue most KnK haters born after biba appearence.

Gee...

I still don't understand about negativitity about that 'bieber' guy anyway. Maybe it's because he's got no personality whatsoever? Or maybe he's just suck as a villian anyway.

Sigh IF you don't agree with me FINE. I guess everyone has a different side of opinion & taste anyway & I'm still waiting for the answers until now...

JafriZinJul 8, 2016 11:49 AM
Jul 8, 2016 11:40 AM
May 2012
It's official.

Yup, everything that I predicted was true. People said this anime was indeed suck.

Blame that director & pathetic writer who came up with this 'idea' who trying to be like aot into guilty crown while waiting for attack on titan season 2.

Sigh, I can't believe I was the only one who were been speaking my mind & actually care about this anime in terms of story through animation here anyway. No wonder why people just don't care/understand how I feel over this anime until they sit there & take it as an excuses over every reaction that I've been made. In fact, I still don't get it over why people on MAL are like that nowadays when nobody cares about my in-story explanation that I've been made lately.
JafriZinJul 8, 2016 12:03 PM
Jul 8, 2016 12:09 PM

Feb 2015
JeffreyZin said:
Tevens said:

Gee...

I still don't understand about negativitity about that 'bieber' guy anyway. Maybe it's because he's got no personality whatsoever? Or maybe he's just suck as a villian anyway.

Sigh IF you don't agree with me FINE. I guess everyone has a different side of opinion & taste anyway & I'm still waiting for the answers until now...

try to watch this. i'm too lazy to explain it.

start from 5:22 when he talks about biba.
and most people thinks the same thing like him.
Jul 9, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2010
The rating for this anime fell from 8.5 in the beginning to 7.5 in the end.
'Ask her to wait a moment— I am almost done.' - Carl Friedrich Gauss ( When told, while working, that his wife was dying).
Jul 9, 2016 8:08 PM

Jul 2008
Like most overhyped shows, it tends to suffer from midway till the end when it couldn't surpass expectations (this series is no different from countless others out there). I think the scores from 7 to 7.5 on MAL is generous enough.
Jul 10, 2016 1:31 AM

Jul 2012
It's pretty sad that the top four most "helpful" reviews give Kabaneri 2-3/10 and basically bash it for not being the realistic survival-horror they wanted. The people who dislike Kabaneri seem to be generally a lot more vocal than those who like it, so now when people casually look at the reviews to see if they think they should watch it, they'll get the impression it's just plain awful which isn't the case (according to the stats, about 80% of people on MAL think it was at least good, while the series generally has higher ratings on other sites).
Jul 10, 2016 8:24 PM
May 2012
Tevens said:
try to watch this. i'm too lazy to explain it.

start from 5:22 when he talks about biba.
and most people thinks the same thing like him.

So what. Still not an excuses.

I still hated that guy over what he did to Mumei after he brainwashed her & did too many bullshit things anyway. Unless he turned out to be a psychotic.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
shawnofthedeadzJul 26, 2016 11:00 AM
Jul 12, 2016 2:39 PM

Jul 2016
It was a badly done AoT clone (a much superior show in every way). Turned into a hilarious trainwreck like Guilty Crown did half way through.

Ridiculous how people were saying this was as good as AoT (not perfect but that one was actually great). Hate how we have to wait for AoT S2 longer just so this shit could be made
Jul 12, 2016 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
My biggest dislike was that every conflict small or large all stemmed from Mumei.

If you took out her character literally none of the issues Ikoma and co. go through would've happened.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 12, 2016 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
-the MC is annoying & he has dumb face.
-most of the characters might as well be wallpaper.
-the plot got repetitive
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2016 9:06 PM

Oct 2011
redgrave_zero said:
Because it's mediocre and the animation quality heavily dropped after the beginning. An average score of 7.6 is perfectly fine.

I agree that the score is fine but I just don't like how most the reviews are giving it a 3 and that they absolutely hate it
wakka9ca said:"The endless debate between fans and haters... is totaly pointless"

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2016

790 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2016

932 by wallus81 »»
Apr 20, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.