Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 16, 2016 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice, this might be one of my favorite episodes for this season. The second cour really picked up pacing in terms of action.

Such an intense amount of firepower displayed by certain weapons of war this episode too. I think Haku realizes what they are fighting against and is not a push over. Vurai is also one seriously tough bastard.
Stark700Jan 16, 2016 10:13 AM
Jan 16, 2016 10:00 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS EPISODE WAS TOO MUCH

My reaction in a nutshell

These generals are too OP.....The gore, the horrors of war...All that death and destruction, the reveal of the masks and the transformations, the individual fights, dem tactics, new alliances

My God this episode was perfection.....These guys look even more broken than the crew in S1
TokoyaJan 16, 2016 10:11 AM
Jan 16, 2016 10:06 AM
May 2010
This episode was great, there is some thing the game did better though, next week more onsen?

Jan 16, 2016 10:06 AM

Jun 2009
This was intense episode. I liked it, it might be even my favourite of this series. It looks like the war is over, well, the Pillars are not to be messed with.
It looks like next episode gonna be SoL again, but I think, after at even greater mess will happen.
Jan 16, 2016 10:11 AM

Jan 2012
Well that was a senseless slaughter of innocents near the end there. I hope Haku at least lets the emperor know, but I doubt anything will be done about it. That Vurai needs to go down...
Jan 16, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2014
Pretty brutal. The connection to the first season seems more apparent now. A lot of unnecessary repeat cuts in this episode. Looks like it's heading back to silly in the next.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 16, 2016 10:16 AM

Jul 2007
They did a good job at portraying the godly levels of power that mask wielders have. Those who watched the first season should already have quite a few ideas on what this means in the long run and what those masks mean, especially since it should be reminiscent of certain other country in the first show, for them.

It also allows us to see the different side to Yamato - a side that Haku could not see by having warm baths and nice peaceful life - the frightening side of the destructive power that Yamato holds. A power to annihilate an entire war worth of enemy army in short amount of time. A frightening kind of strength that feels like the response was way too overdone. A darker and frightening side to Country's seemingly everlasting peace.

Haku being touched and affected by what he saw here also is bound to have consequences. Haku built up a peaceful life, he never had any past horrors to be haunted by. All he had to do was to just do his job and enjoy the privilege of living in a rich and powerful country. Now, he got to see the different side of life and we are bound to deal with that.

Next episode I guess will be interlude with some comedy, as well as characters reflecting on what they have seen. There are already a lot of foreshadowing for where this is going :)

10/10

animefan8800 said:
Well that was a senseless slaughter of innocents near the end there. I hope Haku at least lets the emperor know, but I doubt anything will be done about it. That Vurai needs to go down...

But does emperor not know? We only seen him interact with Haku and we KNOW he has ulterior motive with that. We do not know whether his behavior around Haku is his real personality or if its just a "false face". :)
Jan 16, 2016 10:18 AM

Aug 2008
I'll be damned, it actually reached the Heavy Object level of stupidity in battles. Sure, it was flashy with lots of explosions and death but it was too stupid to enjoy the carnage. Arrows passing through branches, city engulfed by fire and explosions that should raze it, was left with just some parts collapsed, pillar guy attacking MC that is emperor's favourite, friendly fire (no pun intended) and many, many more.

Rule of cool is one thing but when things get too far-fetched it just breaks the immersion and suspension of disbelief.

Oh great, looks there will be more disgusting antics of perverted princess in the next episode. Because that's what you think hearing Utawareurmono. Fujoshi bait and bullshit battles. I really need to rewatch the first series to wash down the after-taste.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 16, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2007
Antanaru said:
Arrows passing through branches,

Did you miss the fact that the archers were controlled by a some kind of psychic people which led to pretty much 100% aiming accuracy?

pillar guy attacking MC that is emperor's favourite, friendly fire (no pun intended)

Already foreshadowed before.
Emperor did give Haku an almost perfect protection too. Not that we even know if Emperor is honest with Haku in terms of his motivation.

and many, many more.

Its nice to hate on a show as long as you have actual arguments. Oh wait.

Oh great, looks there will be more disgusting antics of perverted princess in the next episode. Because that's what you think hearing Utawareurmono. Fujoshi bait and bullshit battles. I really need to rewatch the first series to wash down the after-taste.

Those rose tinted nostalgia glasses must be painting quite a view.
AhenshihaelJan 16, 2016 10:29 AM
Jan 16, 2016 10:25 AM

Jan 2012
Fai said:

animefan8800 said:

But does emperor not know? We only seen him interact with Haku and we KNOW he has ulterior motive with that. We do not know whether his behavior around Haku is his real personality or if its just a "false face". :)

I'm assuming he doesn't, didn't they say something like that this episode? Maybe Haku said it and was wrong. If Haku learns he was aware he should just walk out of the whole shitty kingdom that condones such needless carnage, not that that'll happen.
Jan 16, 2016 10:28 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was... pretty devastating :o
Jan 16, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2007
animefan8800 said:
Fai said:

I'm assuming he doesn't, didn't they say something like that this episode? Maybe Haku said it and was wrong. If Haku learns he was aware he should just walk out of the whole shitty kingdom that condones such needless carnage, not that that'll happen.

All the generals mentioned multiple times on following the Emperor's orders. "Emperor has ordered all of your deaths"
Jan 16, 2016 10:34 AM

Jan 2012
Fai said:
animefan8800 said:

All the generals mentioned multiple times on following the Emperor's orders. "Emperor has ordered all of your deaths"

This was definitely overboard even by that standard. I think it was one of the girls who says the emperor wouldn't want this, but I'd need to go back and check for sure but...meh. Either way Haku's clearly disgusted by the end as well he should be.

EDIT: Yeah the one says it at 18:02 mark.
animefan8800Jan 16, 2016 10:37 AM
Jan 16, 2016 10:36 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Antanaru said:
I'll be damned, it actually reached the Heavy Object level of stupidity in battles. Sure, it was flashy with lots of explosions and death but it was too stupid to enjoy the carnage. Arrows passing through branches, city engulfed by fire and explosions that should raze it, was left with just some parts collapsed, pillar guy attacking MC that is emperor's favourite, friendly fire (no pun intended) and many, many more.

Rule of cool is one thing but when things get too far-fetched it just breaks the immersion and suspension of disbelief.

Talk about pointless nitpicking lol
Jan 16, 2016 10:45 AM

Aug 2008
Fai said:
Antanaru said:
Arrows passing through branches,

Did you miss the fact that the archers were controlled by a some kind of psychic people which led to pretty much 100% aiming accuracy?
Perfect aim doesn't remove the obstacle. They can aim all they want but trees are still there making such arrow rain impossible.

pillar guy attacking MC that is emperor's favourite, friendly fire (no pun intended)

Already foreshadowed before.
Emperor did give Haku an almost perfect protection too. Not that we even know if Emperor is honest with Haku in terms of his motivation.
It still doesn't explain why he endangered royalty of his own country. Nobody safe for their lord will bother with peasants but it's a different matter when he almost killed some princesses and important people just to mow down an insignificant city.

and many, many more.

Its nice to hate on a show as long as you have actual arguments. Oh wait.
If writers can't be bothered to apply some basic logic, why should I be to go scene by scene noting everything down?

Those rose tinted nostalgia glasses must be painting quite a view.
They sure do. Still nothing compared to your fanboying over even the crappiest episodes in this series.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 16, 2016 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
Talk about a showcase of strength, the generals were literally an one man army that breaks all the laws regarding the art of war, as they are the main force itself.

That was pretty ruthless though to kill anyone that is in their path, even if the reasoning of "I would've done the same in your shoes". That was quite the honourable fight when the two sides went all out fighting fair and square.

Gosh, I feel like a Three Kingdom nerd, but it was nice to see that when the man kept guard on the bridge and then broke it to protect his lord, just like what Zhang Fei did at the Battle of Changban, if they were the protagonist in some hypothetical show, things would've turned out a whole lot different.
Jan 16, 2016 10:57 AM

Jul 2007
FatefulLove said:

Gosh, I feel like a Three Kingdom nerd, but it was nice to see that when the man kept guard on the bridge and then broke it to protect his lord, just like what Zhang Fei did at the Battle of Changban, if they were the protagonist in some hypothetical show, things would've turned out a whole lot different.

UTWR franchise is strongly inspired by the feel and idea of romance of three kingdoms(hence why the main character always has a fan and is more of a tactician type of character than a fighter and why each part of the story has a subtitle(like chapters in the romance of three kingdoms) instead of being named Utawarerumono 2, Utawarerumono 3, etc)
Jan 16, 2016 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
This was one intense episode.

The enemies should not mess with the Eight Pillar Generals.
Jan 16, 2016 11:11 AM

Aug 2010
DAMN! That was brutal AF! Vurai is ruthless. Gotta admit he looks awesome tho.
Really didn't expect the twins to be that strong tho. They friggin stopped that :O

These friggin generals are OP. The feats Munechika and Oshutoru showed were crazy too. And they did them so nonchalantly like nothing.

U don't want to f*** with Yamato.

Really wonder how this will affect Haku's character from her onward.
Jan 16, 2016 12:15 PM

Jul 2014
So the masks give the Eight Pillar Generals special powers then? That's an interesting idea, but do they all transform like Vurai does? Cos the guy with the map was clearly using some kind of psychic powers to control his men and Munechika was killing soldiers with glowing forcefields. Anyway, all of the battles were pretty interesting and, in the case of Vurai's massacre, downright brutal. At least the characters now understand the reality and brutality of war, given how little they seemed to take it seriously before. And seeing how all this affects Haku's character will definitely be the most interesting part.

It's just a shame that the preview makes it look like next week will go back to the crap that ruined the first half of the show. Sure, a break in tension is nice and all, but when this show has already wasted so many episodes in the same way, I really have to question it and express my disappointment.
Jan 16, 2016 12:28 PM

Jul 2009
Now this is what I'm talking about.

Vurai is a bitch. The Emperor is obviously psycho too. He totally knows they're being brutal. With so much power there was no need to eliminate even the hostages. I mean Vurai decimated the entire city yo, you're telling me all the children and babies there were traitors too? I hate how only Haku's the one who's seriously showing disgust. Everyone else is like oh well, that's war.

I wanna see Haku's interaction with Oshutoru after this.
Jan 16, 2016 12:41 PM

Jul 2012
Well their counter offensive will work wonders with how brutal the attacks were. No one in their right mind should want to try and invade them anytime soon.

Oshutoru's sword battle was pretty interesting. Soon as there was a hint of a slight bit of danger his attack power just skyrocketed to finish the fight.

Also in the end only ~40% of the city ended up getting decimated. Most of it looking to be a less populated (building wise) possible trade or high class district. Looks like Haku and the Kamunagi of Chains paid off in being there for the non-combatants.
Jan 16, 2016 12:42 PM

Feb 2015
Although slice-of-life Utawarerumono is fun to watch, I much prefer when the plot is serious. We finally saw just how over-powered and merciless the mask wielders are in the battlefield.

I expect Haku's experience in this war to change him in some way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2016 12:45 PM

May 2015
I didn't expect much from this series guess this prove me wrong
vurai is a fucking eva lmao
the eight generals were too op dekoponpo really doesn't belong there
I'm excited on how the story would progress and what changes would happen to haku
Jan 16, 2016 12:58 PM

Feb 2015
Wow we finally see the masks in action. I've been waiting to see one of them transform. I wonder if they're related to gods like Witsuarunemitea as in the first season.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Jan 16, 2016 12:58 PM
Feb 2013
So this means that Yamato is the empire of evil right? I mean this kind of power (controlled) in the hand of bad guy can only lead to a boring plot (or worst Mahouka) so ...
Jan 16, 2016 1:02 PM

Aug 2015
Mikazuchi and Oshutoru fighting all those guys by themselves was badass. The last few minutes were intense and damn those generals are op.
Jan 16, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2013
Oh good, we're finally getting back to bathing next episode. I was getting worried. This is the most episodes we've had without a soak all season.
Jan 16, 2016 1:16 PM

Jul 2007
straggy said:
Oh good, we're finally getting back to bathing next episode. I was getting worried. This is the most episodes we've had without a soak all season.

Considering Haku's reaction at the end and through the episode, expecting it to be a normal SOl tone is silly.
Jan 16, 2016 1:51 PM

Dec 2013
Nope nope nope NOPE, not this shit again.

And lol at the preview. AgK will haunt me forever...
Jan 16, 2016 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
Nice episode, oshutoru making that guy into pieces and vurai cleaning a whole city...he seems pretty overpowered too, i'm wondering if the others generals with the masks have the same level of power than him, also it seems an internal conflict will happen in the future..
Jan 16, 2016 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
An awesome episode.

The fight between oshutoru and the general was cool (wish they made it longer, but oh well).

So some of the general's can get masks that let them turn into huge beasts that look like hakuro's beast form. But we all know hakuro would still beat them, cause while they turn into beasts, hakuro turns into a beast that is a GOD.

Looks like next episode is gonna be a chill episode with some BL fantasies from Rurutie -_- though there will probably be some drama with haku though.
Jan 16, 2016 3:01 PM
Jan 2016
This is too OP. Not even the greatest army in our world can defeat them. 2 episode and the war over. We are back to joke and woman having a bath.
Jan 16, 2016 3:03 PM

Oct 2014
Best episode so far, holy shit was that intense.

However I've got a suspicious feeling about that Virai general, Seems rather weird or unstable in a way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2016 3:05 PM

Jan 2016
Very brief war with 8 pillar generals that were a tad bit hacked. It was similar to using a magnifying glass on a line of ants, something you may or not have done during your summers of your youth. Next episode we return to SoL. Hopefully the next trigger occurs after that SoL episode. Something like this should happen: Dekoponpo should lose his position and since the Emperor acknowledges Haku as man of character and trust, he should appoint him as one of the 8 pillar generals.
Elementary my dear Watson, Elementary...
Jan 16, 2016 3:07 PM

Jun 2010
Holy ShEEEt Yamato is OP to the max. WTF is this shit. damn it i love this.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 16, 2016 3:22 PM
Jan 2016
OP and what with the repeating the scene 3 times at different camera angle?
Is this is blu ray adult movie? You can see the actions in different camera angle.

Ok which general is the dragon?
Jan 16, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2015
Dude with the half mask descending in slow motion was epic af. White haired chick is OP as fuck. Some dudes were pleading for help and half mask guy literally just swings his arm and fucks them all up. Holy shit. Been saying this almost every post but... I'll say it again and again. I fucking love this anime!
Jan 16, 2016 3:56 PM

May 2015
That was one most amazing episode. The Eight Pillar Generals are seriously terrifying, and that is one heck of an understatement. I knew they were stong, but this went beyond that. That was complete annihilation, and brutal at the same time. The war is just hell. Looks like we'll get a chill episode next time, not that I mind.

Jan 16, 2016 4:14 PM

Apr 2015
The 8 Pillar Generals are certainly ruthless. It makes me wonder if they are the true villains of this story.
Jan 16, 2016 4:45 PM
Aug 2013
Well, this was nice to see, didnt expected the copied masks to be so powerful though that they can even let them transform, I wonder who except Iceman could actually stop them. To bad that next episode looks like a good amount of silly stuff again, although I believe we will see some interesting interactions with haku (at least i hope so).
Jan 16, 2016 4:57 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty intense episode overall. I hope Haku understands what situation he's in.

5/5
Jan 16, 2016 5:49 PM

Feb 2014
That's really intense! Perhaps Haku will do something about the merciless killings. Next episode, back to normal (so fast).
Jan 16, 2016 6:50 PM
Dec 2013
THIS ISN'T WAR ANYMORE IT'S ANNIHILATION

what's the point of having armies when you have op af generals that turn into mecha digimon things?

also ugh who's the tactician's brother? dekoponpo?
Jan 16, 2016 7:26 PM

Jan 2016
notice Vurai attacked Haku, even though he knew he was favored by emperor. He may have attacked Haku out of envy/jealousy and the emperor anticipated this and gave to Haku the twin priestess to protect him. Vurai seems the source of conflict and may lead to lead to greater conflicts. This goes back to further, Vurai gave Haku a death stare in their first meeting, when the 8 pillar generals were formally introduced. I wondered why that was, but now it's born fruit.

Something more telling was that he was not in any bezerker state, in that form he listened to his soldiers. He went ahead and annihilated Yamato civilians without any remorse. He has shown us that he is a tragically flawed character, similar to Brolly in the DBZ verse. This one episode above all else told us the future.
ScotlandYardJan 16, 2016 8:05 PM
Elementary my dear Watson, Elementary...
Jan 16, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2009
The Emperor and the Generals just don't give a shit, do they? Damn. That was a massacre. Speaking of which, does Vurai lose himself when he's in that form, or is he completely conscious of his own actions?

Anyway, brutal episode. Based on the preview, I hope next week's episode is on the light side. We kind of need it...
Jan 16, 2016 8:43 PM

Aug 2013
Intense, really intense! Haku finally sees what war really is, and now seeing a lot innocent people dying right in front of his eyes really hit him hard. Maybe this experince will further his character development so I'm interesting what he's going to do. Too bad he fail to save that little boy and that girl but at least Saraana and Uruuru save him. Now next week episode we're going to have another onsen filler episode? I guess they all could use some some relaxing after what just happen. Can't wait to see what happens next!!!
Jan 16, 2016 8:57 PM

May 2014
Is it just me or are there a lot of people commenting about how this show "works" when if they'd seen the first season they wouldn't even be asking those questions. Kinda annoying when people pick up a show halfway and question how it works, but not much you can do about that.
Jan 16, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2013
That was overkill.
I'm mostly curious as to how this battle changes Haku's character.
What is Haku going to do from this point onward?
Jan 16, 2016 11:23 PM

Jan 2013
What a drastic tonal change.
Impressive animation, love the multiple camera angles of the same action used 3 times this episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

106 by Grantlyn »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:48 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

96 by Lolicon »»
Nov 8, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

100 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:56 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

241 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:43 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2016

99 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.