Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 30, 2015 5:34 AM

May 2010
That ruler game was so intense and awesome, I wanna try it out. Dat teamwork man, props. This game was better than most of action anime out there.

So that's how Hotarun fell for Komachi, so cute. Gotta love how courageous Komachi was there. In spite of being the more scared one, she properly acted like an upperclassman and I think, that was cool.

The giddy feeling, I missed it. Non non biyori really is the best.
Aug 4, 2015 7:32 AM

Mar 2013
Never knew a ruler game could be so intense. lol I don't remember seeing or even hearing about Pechi in the 1st season. Was he there? So far, I'm liking this season. It might not be a continuation from the 1st season but it's still as cute and laidback as ever so I don't really see a problem.
Aug 10, 2015 8:44 AM

Dec 2012
I wish more series would do a "repeat"

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Aug 11, 2015 7:18 PM

Dec 2013
The ruler slash pencil game! I never thought that there would be a game like that, seems fun to do. Koma-chan was so brave going back from the hill!

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 12, 2015 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
If only I had friends, I would play the hell out of Knock-Down-the-Ruler with them.
Aug 20, 2015 4:05 PM

Jan 2011
I wonder why I didn't watch this for a while, it's too damn good. :)
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 25, 2015 5:55 AM

Oct 2012
I didn't realize that I turned on an episode of Kaiji...
Aug 27, 2015 7:29 AM

Oct 2012
Dat ruler wars, seems really so much fun!!
Anddddd
That's how the "IKA" or Koma (in this series) obsession begin xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 28, 2015 12:11 PM

Jul 2010
Badass nii-san omfg.
I need to play that ruler wars, it seems omoshiroi
Aug 29, 2015 3:22 AM
Dec 2012
Never thought that the ruler game was this intense... Woah, the Last-Second Grab, that's some highly advanced technique. We must work together to defeat the boss (Nii-chan). After watching so many episodes and numerous Natsumi's "When did you move here?", I can conclude that Nii-chan has superhuman speed. And the lost in the forest part is the beginning of Hotaru's obsession of Komari-senpai.
Sep 3, 2015 7:46 AM

Sep 2014
Wow! That ruler game was intense!
Sep 4, 2015 3:37 PM

Jan 2012
ruler game was fun!!! hilariously intense

getting lost in the dark but finding their way out, although i was grossed out when she just put that bottle cap back on xD haha

im fine if this is just going to be stories intertwined with the 1st i have Non Non Biyori back im fine haha!
Sep 9, 2015 8:43 AM

Nov 2011
Pleasant this second episode despite not having as protagonist's character Renge. The atmosphere is beautiful and can make you feel relaxed, it's really a great feeling to watch the scenery and listen to the background music.
The drawings are of good quality, the OST is always spot on in every situational context. This second season is being able to enhance even more the events depicted in the first season, I'm satisfied with that.
Nyanpasu! :D
Sep 22, 2015 12:55 PM

May 2012
That ruler game :3 pretty lovely episode! Quite cute and just great. Let's see what's next.
Oct 15, 2015 9:34 PM

Jul 2013
Great. It seems that at least so far the quality hasn't dropped at all from season 1.
Oct 31, 2015 2:27 PM

Feb 2014
The eraser and ruler game was intense and random! I love how serious Natsumi was throughout the scene. She and Renge were not playing when it comes to their eraser and ruler game.

I really like this episode. It's better than the first one. 8/10.
Cartoons and anime is my reality.
Jan 23, 2016 5:06 AM

Aug 2013
That game is... AWESOME. Good to see Nii-chan in action. xD
Hotaru x Koma-chan so much lovee. Too cute.
Mar 29, 2016 9:41 AM

Aug 2012
I loved how the third part of the episode had parallels to the second half of episode 2 in the first season. From what I understand, both of the stories took place at around the same time.

Both of the stories were exclusively focused on Hotaru and Komari, except the first season's second ep was during the day and this story was at night. This was a hint that things would be the same, but different. Their roles were reversed this time, with Komari instead taking the lead in guiding Hotaru to their destination. In the first season's story, Komari's role was that of a child, following Hotaru to the candy shop, while in this episode Komari's role was that of a proper senpai, putting on a brave face in order to reassure Hotaru. Komari's attempts at acting like an adult from last season all ended pretty unsuccessfully, so seeing a situation where she was successfully able to act like an adult gave weight to her conviction and made me like her character more.

Also it seems that Komari's whole motivation for leading the way back was seeing Hotaru cry, which means Hotaru's feelings aren't all unrequited. Bunch of Komari character development in that story.

If this episode was stand-alone I probably wouldn't have thought much of it. The other parts of this episode were just okay.
Apr 4, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2014
The most intense game I have seen involving just rulers, lol.
Apr 9, 2016 2:54 AM

Aug 2009
one hell of an intense ruler game... and i think i saw twgok keima there :p

komari and hotaru are cute :3
Apr 13, 2016 12:02 PM

Jun 2015
Now I want to try the ruler game with my friends.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Apr 21, 2016 5:43 PM

Jun 2011
Hotaru needs to stop crying with her freaking hands over her face!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jun 26, 2016 2:31 AM

Feb 2016
The ruler game was hilarious. It's almost confusing what more people see in things where I only see a tool for underlining something.
Jul 4, 2016 5:18 PM

Jul 2015
The ruler game look so fun !
Aug 18, 2016 8:42 PM
Jul 2016
I guess it literally is a repeat of the same year from the last season, i'm not sure why it is necessary to do that but it is an interesting concept. Also, the ruler battle part was amazing and just made me love the brother even more as a character.
Sep 29, 2016 3:17 PM

Oct 2015
Before I realized that it is in fact a repeat of the time period shown in the first season I was worried that it wouldn't have Hotaru lol.

Is good so far, it has been almost a year since I watched the first season but it is interesting how this second season seems to be stylistically different from the first, at least from what I remember.
Nov 16, 2016 11:02 AM

Apr 2013
Damn that ruler game was intense! That music :D
Apr 15, 2017 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
Absolutely loved the ruler game, as many others did it would seem.
The brother with the epic save!
May 3, 2017 12:00 PM

May 2015
Nii-san too op, nerf, please.
Sep 1, 2017 2:58 AM

Jun 2016
That ruler game with them 4 together with their oniisan was so intense. Haha.

And Hotarun and Komari's date, though. Hahahaha! So cute. Stargazing, I mean. :D

I got scared for Hotarun when she got lost, thank, Kami-sama her inu saves the day and Natsumi and Komari senpai was there to help her.

AND HE STILL DOESN'T TALK! GODDAMNIT!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
May 9, 2018 7:38 PM
Oct 2015
Hotaru x Nii-chan.. I kinda ship them
May 11, 2018 11:12 AM

Dec 2014
Nii chan is my idol
Nov 14, 2018 2:26 PM

Feb 2017
Fan theory: Suguru's shame and lost honour from losing the Ruler Knock-Off game is what contributed to his self-isolation over the rest of the series. He was too ashamed of his performance to socialize with the girls thereafter.
May 13, 2019 9:46 AM

Nov 2016
The ruler game was easily the best part of this episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 1, 2019 6:29 AM

May 2016
Love Nii-chan but he doesn't have much screen time.
Jun 30, 2019 2:26 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Damm, seeing ep1 wasnt enough, couldnt resist and seen ep2 right after.. now I m fully healed and craving for more, but I will control myself.

It was nice to see the ruler game, but the later half was also really sweet, Hotaru and Komari moments were an highlight of S1, and they surely spoiled me here!

I will be also rewatching S1 cuz I just love this series that much, and nothing heals my soul has good as this, and I will be needing constant healing in the following weeks for sure.

Aug 24, 2019 4:36 AM

Oct 2007
did not expect a simple game using rulers could be so much fun. ^^

the guy not talking sort of creeps me out a bit.

scary adventure of Hotaru and sempai. Glad they were able to reach the light of the vending machine again. Also Tohru is strong enough to carry sempai. :p
Liddo-kunAug 24, 2019 5:03 AM
Dec 27, 2019 11:19 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hotaru is here ! The star observation moment with Hotaru and Komari was so cute
Jan 29, 2020 7:50 AM

Aug 2018
Non Non Biyori suddenly turned into sports anime.. With school tools.. ;p
Em.. Girls.. Why not under these stars.. Kiss?..
Well.. Guess, going for star gazing was not worse than a bravery challenge in a way..
Jun 19, 2020 5:33 AM

Jun 2016
The ruler scene was excellent. It started as a cute gathering, a game which has become a tradition with special moves named from the players, meta game and such, but as it went on it got more and more intense. The music kicked up, the tactics got crazy, and the girls got into it. The bro reminded me of Sakamoto from Sakamoto desu ga but I guess they’re both a similar archetype. Near the end I was sitting up in my seat and cheering, it was like really exciting. The best part of the scene was how me, as an audience member, had the exact same emotional reaction as the girls. From learning to getting way into it! Hilarious and sweet stuff.

I particularly loved when Renge tried to sacrifice herself, betting everything on Natsumi. The understanding the two shared reminded me of a crucial play in Ten: Tenhou-doori no Kaidanji where one player plays a sacrificial move and the other player on his team sees his resolve and declaration and goes along with it.

The star gazing with Hotaru and Komari was sweet too. There was a clumsiness to the entire thing. The romanticization of the vending machine before seeing the bugs, the dropped cap, the struggling to name constellations, and the way back created a struggle and a memorable experience between two friends, a secret too. It felt like some great bonding, and a good memory to look back on. It felt real too. The prior getting lost scene with Hotaru was honestly very relatable, looking around and not recognizing your surroundings after trying to walk somewhere new is terrifying.
Jul 11, 2020 3:04 AM

May 2011
Ruler wars was a hilariously tense showdown! Komari's constant failure as a proper senpai never gets old and makes for such good material.

Ahh, I love this show.
Jul 29, 2020 1:38 PM

Jul 2016
That ruler game was so unnecessarily intense...
... Totally loved it!
Aug 25, 2020 10:31 PM

Sep 2018
Battle of ruler lol
Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Nov 8, 2020 1:22 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just came off from watching cowboy bebop. Watched the first episode of this second season and thought it was great, but could not help but feel it was shallow after coming from what I just watched. I was kind of missing this show and just how chill and laid back and fun and innocent it was, but I was just missing the the raw-ness of the hand drawn animation of cowboy bebop and the blues and jazz that played like it was crying in the background. All other anime has lost meaning....

Then I watched this second episode and holy shit we got a shounen battle to rock the centuries. Give me your most intense battle from anime and I’ll make it take a seat with this legendary ruler battle- nothing can compare. And then I love how the teacher I forget her name just walks in at the end with her usual dead pan expression, break time ended a long time ago... man I forgot how much I loved this. And in the second part where they’re just chilling underneath the constellations in the sky drinking orange juice, nice. And the jokes about what’s her name still being treated like a kid are of course still here, but then she completes her character arc by taking the lead when the flashlight goes out! Until then she cries like a baby from relief for finding their way home and getting a piggy back ride from someone younger than her. Guess all I’m saying is even though I felt nothing could really fill the void that cowboy bebop just left in me, non non biyori repeat so far is doing a profound job.

While I am really digging that this season is just showing more of what happened in the same time as the last season, I am hoping that non stop that is releasing next year moves forward. But if not and they repeat the same year all over again, fine by me, it’s just more of a good thing.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Dec 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Apr 2020
Hotaru and Komari went to see the stars, but when they got home they were scared, lmao
Jan 8, 2021 10:12 PM

Mar 2020
That ruler game was intense! Holy crap that save from the brother!
Oct 6, 2021 11:13 AM

Jan 2019
THE RETURN OF NYANPASUU!!!

Hotaru and Koma-chan had a fun but scary time.
Nice to see Hotaru's perspective from the moment she entered high school. ^^
Nov 30, 2021 6:40 AM
Aug 2021
Star watching with Koma, ruler fighting with nii-san.
Aight this is already a 10/10 series.
Cabbage_CatNov 30, 2021 7:17 AM
Nov 30, 2021 10:03 PM

Jan 2017
It took all 4 of them to defeat Suguru in the Ruler Battle, he's such a gamer

Oh so that's why Hotaru was so fond of Komari, the context is finally given instead of just pure obsession from S1
Jan 21, 2022 10:16 AM
Jun 2016
I can see why this season is called Repeat. The beginning of this episode repeated Hotaru's introduction. Also, I feel like the first two episodes of the previous season were told in Renge and Hotaru's perspective respectively. And this season did so as well. I wonder if that pattern would continue. Not to mention this episode is another "Hotaru hangs out with Komari," like last time.

Suguru is surprisingly silent from having a dog play rough with him. Also, the ruler game is pretty creative.

I'm guessing this episode took place in between the first season's first two episodes. I was rewatching those some time ago and I've noticed how quickly Hotaru became fond of Komari.

Since everyone's talking about it I wonder why this anime isn't in chronological order. Although just like what others said, I watch this for the vibe. So it being out of order doesn't really bother me. I mean, I also watch Hidamari Sketch, lol.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2015

162 by Puncheon »»
Jul 1, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2015

114 by nirererin »»
Jul 1, 12:03 AM

» Random Fact: Non Non Biyori and Repeat took place at around 2004.

VaasMontenegro - Aug 17, 2021

12 by bassyey »»
Mar 4, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2015

122 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2015

95 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 2:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.