Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2008 7:17 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Batou and those robotic dogs were funny as XD
Apr 21, 2009 4:31 PM

Jan 2009
What the hell happened in Togusa's Wife PC?

And i lol'd at Batou teasing Kusanagi.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 6, 2009 10:33 AM

Mar 2009
Tamaki-san said:
What the hell happened in Togusa's Wife PC?

My thoughts too - but an entertaining episode

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jun 26, 2009 5:04 AM

Nov 2007
lmao what was with the ending xD? An okay episode, that hitman wasn't all that skilled and was kind of dissapointed in her encounter with the major but I guess that just goes to show how much of a pro the major is.
Jun 28, 2009 8:01 PM

May 2008
The Major's indeed a tough cookie to beat. I liked how the assassin's arm had also a built-in shot gun and can shoot 500Yen coins to such devastating effect.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Aug 5, 2009 6:39 PM

Jul 2008
wow a program that makes money on its own, where can i get one of those!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Nov 15, 2009 9:43 PM

Apr 2009
kage-bunshin said:
wow a program that makes money on its own, where can i get one of those!

I know! When they mentioned the program was generating money I was like "Ooo, I want!"
Nov 19, 2009 9:56 PM

Aug 2008
Who wouldn't want it.... that guy was a genius!!! It was all a plan for the androids to live the best life XD.... I was baffled when I knew the guy was dead... and the Hitwoman didn't try to kill him.... that realy threw me off... anyway the chapter was awesome... discovering who made all the mess was the best of the chappie... Especially when they discovered that the Hitgirl was on the Genius Dead man toes... yeh... LOL at Batou and the Mechdogs.... and YESSSSHHH... What the Fruck was that at Togusa's Wife Comp Screen? Warai Otoko? Crazy Stock program? Waaaah

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2010 10:20 PM

Dec 2008
With the computer, I believe it could of been the work of the laughing man.
Brought 80,000 yen worth of Serano Genomics stocks. sounds fishy.
Apr 23, 2010 8:39 PM

Oct 2009
Desire said:

Oh was that Senaro Genomics stock? I can't read japanese but that would definetly make it seem like the laughing man. My theory was that it was the Ghost of the rich old meiser that got onto the computer somehow, and invested some of that yen for him in return for placing the gold coin on his body. See I think maybe it was possible that the rich meiser transfered his ghost somehow into the money making program, so he could continually make money even after his "death", and perhaps that's why the hit man was sent (to destroy his program) it would be a neat idea, and would explain how and why his pc got hacked, it was just the rich guy sharing the wealth. It's not the most far fetched idea when you consider the cyberpunk setting of Ghost in the Shell.

Although the show does mention I believe that the rich guy was completely non cybernetic, which is interesting, so perhaps it was supposed to be some sort of statement of the afterlife, after all it was Togusa who brought up the afterlife near the end of the episode with the river of styx/gold coin thing. Maybe the only way he was able to gain passage to the afterlife and thus expertly invest those stock was because of Togusa. At any rate it would help if someone could read exactly what those stocks were, it might make the ending less open to interpretation.
Apr 25, 2010 8:54 AM

Mar 2009
It's either..

a) The Laughing Man took a liking on Togusa after they first met on that clinic or whatever it was on episode 11. So he decided to buy some stocks for him that will eventually be profitable. That's highly improbable though so far the laughing man is completely unpredictable.

b) The Laughing Man sees Togusa and the whole Section 9 as a threat and wants to set them up?

c) Togusa's (and possibly others too), is a "microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan" like Nick Cave sang, lol. And probably has nothing to do with their previous meeting.

In any case, it looks like he's about to make a move again! :D
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Apr 26, 2010 9:19 AM

Oct 2009
still think it was the rich guy who died... after all it was a standalone episode, and the guy who died was a stock expert, who togusa showed goodwill towards.
Sep 15, 2010 2:04 AM

Jul 2010
i would've thought that serrano genomics was a bad investment considering the whole resurfacing of the laughing man and all

i like the idea that togusa stole the program so he could make a little dosh on the side though
Oct 5, 2010 9:10 PM

May 2010
Tachikoma was playing a gameboy
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 8, 2010 1:38 PM

Jun 2009
I don't know, the fact that it is Serano genomics' stock makes me wonder.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 27, 2010 3:30 PM

Aug 2009
Did any of you notice the wallaper on the pc was Charlie Chaplin? I'm pretty sure it was!

Great episode 3/5
Mar 26, 2011 10:26 AM

Nov 2009
aero said:
Batou and those robotic dogs were funny as XD

Batou is always hilarious, especially when he jokes with the Major. I love the Tachikomas as well.

The ending of the episode seems mysterious, I wonder if it has anything to do with future cases, such as the laughing man, etc. Although, it was apparently a Stand Alone episode, so I'm not sure what to think.
May 10, 2011 7:33 AM

Apr 2011
mechadogs, a program that makes money on its own and sexy-armed maids.... the future is awesome! XD
My mission: Save the world! My weapons: a controller, a bunch of friends and lots of Anime!
May 31, 2011 4:02 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was pretty great, they keep getting better.
Such junk...
Aug 29, 2011 1:47 AM

Jul 2009
love the episode :)

i was actually laughing when major change to those sexy clothes(which is hot btw :P) and batou suddenly interrupts her report and when she faces him he looks to the side then smiles as the major continues on XD

also the dogs are funny too XD

im kinda disappointed how the assassins got outplayed by Major in mere minutes O__O

and who the hell hacked Togusa's computer and invested 80,000 gold on Senaro Genomics stock :P

The Laughing Man maybe??? :P

i think the producers of Deus EX HR got the whole gatling gun arm of barret in this show :P

damn already dead and he's still making money. Fem(the assassins) says he's extorting the poor so i guess you die by your own wealth :P
Nov 17, 2011 1:50 PM

Feb 2009
Man, Batou is so awesome.

And what's up with that ending?? O_o Rise of the Machines much?

Confucius said:
Tachikoma was playing a gameboy

Nope, it was actually a Tachikoma remote control!
Nov 29, 2011 5:59 PM

Sep 2011

Batou trolling hardcore this episode. along with the Tachikoma, the comic relief in this series is awesome.

Mar 3, 2012 9:18 PM

Aug 2010
Primity said:

Batou trolling hardcore this episode. along with the Tachikoma, the comic relief in this series is awesome.

I have to agree. Batou was funny as fuck this episode.
Jun 5, 2012 7:21 PM

Jul 2011
insan3soldiern said:
I don't know, the fact that it is Serano genomics' stock makes me wonder.

Yeah, when the computer started up again I assumed it was the moneymaking program. But once it clicked Serano Genomics I wasn't so sure. Might be The Laughing Man. My only question is how the Laughing Man would benefit from him buying stocks. :O
Oct 6, 2012 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
Haha, its the money making program! Maybe! =P

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 17, 2012 11:39 PM

Apr 2011
The ending was a mystery. Who access those shares? Was it the detective? He had some left over money/info from the dead billionaire? The laughing man being nice?
Oct 24, 2012 12:02 AM

May 2012
That ending was way too creepyyy for me...
Dec 22, 2012 5:47 AM

Apr 2012
_sky said:
Primity said:
I have to agree. Batou was funny as fuck this episode.
Batou ftw.

But yeah, the ending sounds like a setup by the laughing man, too bad it's aimed at innocent non-cyber savvy father Togusa, I foresee a major shitstorm.
Dec 22, 2012 7:25 AM

May 2012
Nice episode, them lil tanks keep amusing me :D That ending was rather nice though slight action and interesting ammunition :p But what was up with the computer in the end? Did the Moneymaking AI transfer to their home computer?
Dec 22, 2012 9:23 AM

Jan 2012
So Batou is a dog lover lol. In any case, what the hell was that in the end?

Jan 1, 2013 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
May 29, 2013 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
Tachikoma's have their own personality. This episode was ok. And what the hell was wrong with that PC? Could that be the Laughing Man? Need to see the next episode.
May 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Mar 2010
the funny man again
Jun 13, 2013 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Too bad that with the greatest there is little action, the bad guys will quickly be put out of the game, but Fem heightens the murderess use the money to take out those who love so madly money, a sort of retaliation. The ending I thought it was interesting, it is almost a kind of springboard for future events, who knows who will be behind us, but I predict that it is almost certainly LM. Of interest are the various androids presented, dangerous maids! XD But it made me think of this episode, the man had everything, yet not come to terms with his body remaining a mere man!
Sep 2, 2013 8:57 PM

Jun 2012
That ending really makes me wonder what happened, was it the money making program?
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Dec 12, 2013 6:40 AM

May 2011
the ending shocked the sht out of me. If I were to treat it solely as a SA episode, then it might just be
sinnige69 said:
Oh was that Senaro Genomics stock? I can't read japanese but that would definetly make it seem like the laughing man. My theory was that it was the Ghost of the rich old meiser that got onto the computer somehow, and invested some of that yen for him in return for placing the gold coin on his body. See I think maybe it was possible that the rich meiser transfered his ghost somehow into the money making program, so he could continually make money even after his "death", and perhaps that's why the hit man was sent (to destroy his program) it would be a neat idea, and would explain how and why his pc got hacked, it was just the rich guy sharing the wealth. It's not the most far fetched idea when you consider the cyberpunk setting of Ghost in the Shell.

If this actually has relations to Togusa being hacked and known by Warai Otoko in Ep 11, then it just might be it, considering the stocks to be Senaro Genomics. IMO, this episode was bad towards the "enemies", like how you just see the hitwoman investing so much and just got owned by Motoko even before touching the corpse. Sigh...
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 16, 2013 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
That infiltration was nice, the hidden gun as well. I guess the guy was a megalomaniac.

Batou is so funny, taming dogs.

I didn't understand the ending though.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 1, 2014 9:25 AM

Jun 2008
I think it was the Money Making Program at the end. The program probably takes control of various computers around the world to invest in stocks.
Jun 10, 2014 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
Who hurts with money perish with them, so it seems quais the moral at the end, if it was not the bad guy is already dead to her.
I did not think possible, see a man who does all the money, he had not decided to turn his body into a cyborg is make sure the money and the life eternal, that strange contradiction.
Wow, see a killer like this, it was quite obsolete on my part.
Or was it to make the idea.
Drawings and fantastic animations.
The narrative dwells again on the behavior of the Tachikoma, real headache for the Major.
Jun 11, 2014 3:17 AM

Jun 2011
Whoa, Togusa your PC seems to be part of a botnet, or worse.

Batou went full troll-mode this episode. That and Tachikoma's antics made the episode fun to sit through.
Feb 3, 2015 4:52 PM

Nov 2013
"Use that to pay the ferryman."

Togusa is cool as fuck.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 5, 2015 7:38 PM

Nov 2011
I think my problem here is that I don't like speculating when I feel like I don't have enough information, but the episode is deliberately leaving it ambiguous.

The peculiar part is the old man supposedly wasn't cyberized, so the laughing man seems like the only logical choice left. Still, that did look like the moneymaking program.
Apr 5, 2015 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
sinnige69 said:
Desire said:

Although the show does mention I believe that the rich guy was completely non cybernetic, which is interesting, so perhaps it was supposed to be some sort of statement of the afterlife, after all it was Togusa who brought up the afterlife near the end of the episode with the river of styx/gold coin thing. Maybe the only way he was able to gain passage to the afterlife and thus expertly invest those stock was because of Togusa. At any rate it would help if someone could read exactly what those stocks were, it might make the ending less open to interpretation.

That is an interesting an plausible theory, kudos
Apr 16, 2015 3:26 PM
Nov 2014
Damn, that robot hitman was quite shitty in combat lel. Batou getting chased by the robot dogs xD.
Jun 29, 2015 1:44 AM

May 2015
This ending scared the hell out of me.
Feb 12, 2016 5:44 PM

Aug 2014
They can make a successful and a good video game from this anime.
Good SA episode. Motoko kicks ass again.
Mar 13, 2016 1:30 AM

Apr 2013
That assassin put up less of a fight than I thought... Major's outfit this episode was nice again :>
Apr 4, 2016 11:25 AM

Sep 2015
I like how they specifically mentioned her outfit this episode, even though it was no more revealing than what she normally wore.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 10, 2017 3:58 PM

Jan 2012
Hahaha, oh Batou. You lovable dog trainer. :D
Another nice topic was touched; your money doesnt go with you beyond the grave, so why have so much? I liked how Togasa gave him 500 yen, adds a nice ironic cherry to the deadman's tale. Two other plot threads left me thinking:

The blue robots are acting more and more strange, like curious cats. I have a feeling they might be connected the laughing man in some way... Or at least play a major role in the complex episodes to come.

Secondly and lastly, the ending. I am pretty sure that was the code from the late mans computer, but there's a chance its our pal the laughing man! Eitherway, an interesting (albeit weird) way to end the episode.
Apr 1, 2017 11:38 PM

Jun 2013
Batou savage af, lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 20, 2008

62 by Magicmist »»
Jun 22, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 12, 2008

55 by Magicmist »»
Jun 20, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 11, 2008

50 by Magicmist »»
Jun 17, 3:29 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 9, 2008

51 by Magicmist »»
Jun 16, 5:11 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 9, 2008

71 by Magicmist »»
Jun 16, 2:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.