Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2008 9:06 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh silly Sayla. Captain heard your conversation. Nice backstory for the brother and sister though. I want more clarification of newtypes though...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 23, 2009 5:48 AM

Mar 2008
Indeed... I hope they explain what the hell is a newtype.
Jul 25, 2010 12:11 PM

Aug 2009
So Amuro's all psychic now? 0o
PheefaJul 25, 2010 12:27 PM
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 27, 2010 7:29 AM

Apr 2009
Ok am I the only one who missed the memo? What the hell is a newtype and since when does Amuro know he's all super-powered and stuff...
Jul 30, 2010 4:00 AM

May 2008
Amuro gained some psychic powers? Heh?
Aug 16, 2010 8:35 PM
Jun 2010
Amuro knowing who Char was when he met him on the neutral planet + always knowing who he is fighting + predicting enemy movements + knowing how to pilate Gundam in no time + this episode showing us that there is someone "like Lola" (or whatever her name is)= He is psychic.

Nov 5, 2010 10:49 AM

Aug 2009
I'm guessing Newtypes are pretty much the same as G00 Innovators..
Jan 4, 2011 1:09 AM

Sep 2009
I do have to say even with pre knowledge of what a New Type is...it's not exactly sprung out of nowhere.

There have been subtle hints thrown all around for the past ten or so episodes.
Amuro randomly knowing exactly how missles will go, Amuro fighting ten Doms and wining, Amuro meeting Char, ect ect ect.
Feb 10, 2011 5:14 PM

Feb 2008
I know I'm pretty hazy on what a Newtype is from the context of this show sofar, but the basic idea should be common knowledge for animu fans who have seen every sci fi cliche done a million times. Its like mitochlorians in Star Wars or coordinators in SEED or something like that
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime
Apr 24, 2012 12:49 PM

Apr 2009
Amuro's being an esper explains a lot but it's more than a bit sudden.
Dec 27, 2012 12:46 AM

Jun 2009
VictimOfFate said:

It really isn't. It's been foreshadowed to hell and back the last ten episodes.

Great episode. Loved the sound effects at the end there it came off as somewhat unsettling when Amuro and Lahla found one another.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 15, 2013 10:43 PM

Feb 2012
Swordplay in this episode was badass. M'Quve's battle was cool.
Apr 19, 2013 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
Sleggar dies, so Bright immediately takes the opportunity to flirt with Mirai now. I've always thought of them as together for whatever reason, but it still feels weird. I guess the dub's voice acting delivers the lines too forcibly. Bright's voice is better suited for the commands and diplomacy.

Oh, is the Indian psychic girl /actually/ psychic? Lila, I guess, is her name. Amuro is actually psychic, too! He has the spidey sense-thing going for him and everything! It's organic enough, I guess, but psychic abilities do not seem to fit the series at all.It might work well after more is revealed, but it still feels like a random mechanic.

Anyways, that's why Charr has this Lila person around - so he can train his own psychic pilot like Amuro. I wonder if the final epic fight will be between Amuro and Lila, then. Enemy mobile suits being able to communicate telepathically would be potentially cool. I'd rather have him fight Charr, though. Scenes with Amuro and Charr are too much awesome.

Speaking of which, Charr's charisma (oh gosh, no pun intended) is insufferable. He always smiles like that. He's so perfectly gracious. Can't wait for more Charr and Sayla drama!
Aug 3, 2013 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
The tension in this episode was genius. I've been getting an unsettling vibe as well for the past couple of episodes..
Nov 17, 2013 1:44 PM

Jan 2010
So they finally just come out with it. There has been nothing normal about Amuro's abilities since he started piloting the gundam when the series started, and there's been plenty of foreshadowing about him being a newtype.

Earliest I can recall is Mitilda (or someone else speaking for her, I forgot) mentioning he might have "psychic abilities". Not to mention how ramped up those abilities have become in the last few episodes.
Jan 15, 2014 9:32 PM
Aug 2011
Not a fan of Lalah, not because I dislike her, but because the direction the show is heading ever since she appeared.
Well it wasn't unexpected anyway with all the subtleties and her being on the cover and whatnot.
Feb 18, 2014 9:53 AM

Sep 2013
Ok I don't even know wtf is going on now, with psychic powers n shit
Mar 2, 2014 9:48 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode. There was so much tension in this episode. I'm expecting a lot in the last few episodes.
Mar 14, 2014 1:56 PM

Mar 2013
Gyan vs. Gundam was an excellent fight. Too bad M'Quve was no match for Amuro who is now a Newtype. Did anyone else notice the animation and drawings in this episodes were much better than before¿
Jun 22, 2014 7:59 AM

Jul 2009
Another amazing episode!!

Pure action!!

Glad Frau Bow and Amuro are now talking again. It seems Amuro is much more mature now. He may regret not spending too much time on Frau in the near future.

And no one commented Sayla's bath time!?!?! It was close to seeing her full naked body!!!

M'Queve it's not running anymore. I actually thought Char and him will double team Amuro which would be unfair.

I'm glad Char let them be and see who can win one on one.

For someone who escape the battle of Odessa, he got owned pretty quickly and badly the moment he step into the ring with Amuro.

So M'Queve know this type of people?? I'm guessing they are experiment or just plain gifted? And what was the thing he was saying to give Kycilia? That glass thing that he always holds during his break time?

And wow Amuro is now a psychic?? Maybe Matilda is right on how Amuro is an Esper :)

Seems Lalah and Amuro has the same brainwaves. Char would want an explanation on this!

We're getting closer to the end T__T

It does feel rush, i wouldn't be surprise if they kill Hayato on the next episode or two :(

Can't wait for it though!!!
Dec 18, 2014 4:01 PM

Mar 2014
lol, I love how they keep calling it the "Texas Zone" XD

Whoa! Check out that Sayla fanservice!

The battle this episode was pretty exhilarating.

Not sure how I feel about the mystical powers being added into the storyline here... seems kind of out-of-place with the rest of the series.
::End of Transmission::

Feb 12, 2015 5:43 PM

Feb 2013
That battle was pretty intense. Too bad it took this long for the battles to be this decent.
Mar 8, 2015 6:52 AM
May 2012
Summary of the last few episodes: *pew pew, space fights!*

Can't say the show is particularly strong right now. The Newtypes are peaking my interest, though: I don't mind combining my sci-fi with a bit of fantasy (after all, the Mynovski particles are already fantasy enough ;p)

So yeah, looking forward to see how this concept gets worked out. Glad to see creepy-as-hell M'quive (however it's spelled) is dead now - and I'm curious about what is so important about that vase!

There are still two characters that need to be killed and six episodes to do it in. I hope the ending of this show will be good... The Ending is Paramount.

Jul 25, 2015 11:28 PM

Nov 2011
I don't know what new types are, but the psychic-like abilities have been foreshadowed a lot. I'm surprised anyone is just now noticing it and thinking it doesn't fit with the series. I was thinking the same thing many episodes ago, but I've already grown accustomed to the idea since it's been here for a bit.

Amuro and Lalah's "meeting" was kinda creepy. I think the OST did a really good job here.

Also, I don't think Char knows Amuro is like Lalah. He might treat the Gundam even more gravely if he did know that.
Jan 15, 2016 3:49 PM
Nov 2015
Loved the chat between Fraw Bow and Amuro. The battle was awesome and the creepy psychic meeting was made amazing by an astonishingly good soundtrack. This whole episode had a lot of music peices I hadn't heard previously. I'm impressed that they're adding stuff this late in the game to the soundtrack.
May 27, 2016 4:22 AM

Jul 2008
And finally the word Newtype enters the public domain.

Oh Mquve...your vase was a piece of junk.
Jun 20, 2016 6:43 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that marks the starting point where it begins to circulate the concept of New Type and voices on the Flanagan Institute. Clash between Amuro and M'Quve nice enough, ditto for the clash between the White Base and the enemy, the final part of the episode quite charming, who knows what hides Lalah and history that ties her to Casval.
Jul 24, 2016 3:41 PM

May 2012
That sure was an intense lightsaber fight! And quite the explosion! Let's see what happens next.

I do wonder what's up with the whole telekinetic stuff though.
Oct 12, 2016 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far and a big step up for the lackluster ep 36.
Not sure how i feel about amuros new power
Excited for Sayla and Char next episode!
Apr 25, 2017 9:30 AM

Feb 2012
M'Quve pretty much did everything you could do to try to take down Gundam and it didn't work.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
2 Dom kills, 1 Gyan kill; 3 kills total this episode
69 kills total
Aug 2, 2017 1:34 PM

Jul 2016
One of my favorite episodes of the series.

The battle between Amuro and M'Queve was so damn good. The background music set up an intense atmosphere.. that was such a perfect touch.
Nov 22, 2017 9:35 PM
Aug 2017
A Newtype is someone who has awaken for life in space. Newtypes have increased mental focus, spatial awareness, telepathy and even psychokineis.
Dec 14, 2017 4:25 PM
Jul 2017
Souls no longer weighed down by gravity = space magic. I'm fine with it. Really starting to come together.
Apr 2, 2018 4:07 PM

Nov 2016
Well,that really explains a lot,amongs other things also why Amuro recognized Char at Side 6.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 18, 2019 8:48 AM

Feb 2017
Trippiest episode yet.
Nov 7, 2019 11:44 PM
Nov 2018
For anyone that thinks Amuro's powers came out of nowhere, if you look at past episodes, starting since I think the battle at Side 6, there has been a kind of spark appearing around Amuro's forehead whenever he predicts something.
Jan 7, 2020 6:37 PM
May 2018
Draaxus said:
For anyone that thinks Amuro's powers came out of nowhere, if you look at past episodes, starting since I think the battle at Side 6, there has been a kind of spark appearing around Amuro's forehead whenever he predicts something.

Shit, I can argue right from the moment Amuro stepped into the Gundam to pilot it we could tell he wasn't normal. The rapid and exponential growth of his capabilities and little comments from the crew here and there hinted as such. This definitely didn't come out of nowhere. The ending of this episode gave me chills. It was so spooky lol.
Mar 4, 2020 2:05 PM

May 2018
We've been going to the 'supernatural' for the past few episodes? I thought Gundam is all about grounded action, Mechas fighting each other with beam rifles and lightsabers?
Nov 8, 2020 11:03 AM

Aug 2017
Since I watched the first two movies, I know what a newtype is. Kinda late at this point, the movies explained this early and they didn't seem like an asspull. Here it was hinted but never mentioned until this episode.

Another recurrent antagonist, M'Quve, is gone. RIP.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 8, 2021 9:11 AM

Jul 2017
The show should have explained Newtypes a bit better. All of a sudden the term starts getting used without much explanation. It confused my girlfriend a bit. This episode was excellent otherwise, and I didn't expect that at all. M'Quve's aristocratic arrogance brought out his villainous intent. We also saw more of Char, Lalah, and Sayla.
Apr 16, 2021 12:47 PM

Apr 2014
VictimOfFate said:

I remember hearing somebody say Amuro might be an esper in the first half of the series, I just can't remember exactly when. Maybe during the Ramba Ral stuff?

satyrelfheim said:
The show should have explained Newtypes a bit better. All of a sudden the term starts getting used without much explanation. It confused my girlfriend a bit. This episode was excellent otherwise, and I didn't expect that at all. M'Quve's aristocratic arrogance brought out his villainous intent. We also saw more of Char, Lalah, and Sayla.

I assumed that they were intentionally making it vague at first so you're like "oh, what's a newtype?"
Aug 3, 2021 7:02 PM

Oct 2012
That really did NOT come out of left field. The term Newtype maybe, but Amuro being psychic was hinted at so often that I'm surprised some people didn't see it coming.

Wasn't expecting Amuro to fight M'quve and Char at once. Of course Char survived, like he always does, but M'quve with his shitty mobile suit is gone for good this time.
Aug 10, 2022 6:38 PM
Dec 2015
nacho99 said:
mirai's tits: checked
fraw's tits: checked
it's your turn, sayla-san

turns out it's this episode but...

I mean sayla is the best of the three and... it's just that? After what happened with fraw bow?

disappointed...
Oct 8, 2022 12:57 AM
May 2022
Genial :0
Sables laser, mechas y amuro xD. Lo tiene todo
Jan 19, 2023 9:53 PM
Nov 2020
So, he does have supernatural powers. Not just good instinct.
May 19, 2023 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
so mquave died and Lala and amuro share some kinda connection.
May 19, 2023 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
I better stop reading these duscionns cause oeople here love spoiling stuff beyond this ep
Jun 22, 2023 9:35 PM
Feb 2021
It's great whenever shows like these take such sharp turns into being weird.

It's been a pretty straight forward story, but damn, the whole psychic thing with Amuro and Lalah is really interesting.

Frau Bow and Amuro's talk was also great as well because they were such a happy go lucky fucken saturday morning cartoon couple at the beginning and now they'll have some actual drama between them.

Nov 2, 2023 3:45 PM

May 2019
Hm, so Char's motives seemed like revenge, but now he's more morally grey is what I'm getting? Guess we'll see.
Nov 4, 2023 5:13 PM

Jan 2019
Not sure how to feel about this. Definitely one of the most interesting episodes with how different it is. 

The tension with Amuro entering the station and the massive shadow the gundam casts is fantastic, as well as the unsettling sound and visuals when he connects with Lalah.

Not sure how I feel about the show introducing psychics though.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 28, 2008

66 by Tivrusky444 »»
Jun 2, 3:00 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.