Kuroko no Basket
Free!

SerafosMay 25, 11:49 PM
May 25, 11:30 PM

Oct 2010
I'm with you on this for I too love keijo and harukana
May 25, 11:33 PM

Dec 2021
3x3? Ain't got the energy to put one together visually, but...

1. Ashita no Joe
  2. Ashita no Joe 2
  3. Ganbare Genki
  4. Yawara!
  5. Touch
  6. Attack No.1
  7. Dash! Kappei (I really need to watch more of this one)
  8. Kyojin no Hoshi (I REALLY want to watch more of this one)
  9. Ace wo Nerae! 2 (Yeah, the sequel, not the first one)

Edit: Re-encoded the GIF, since jesus my GIF making process was terrible back in 2022-2023
Daviljoe193May 25, 11:49 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. πŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 25, 11:40 PM

Dec 2012
Redline (sci-fi racing)

Death Parade (bar/party games)

Initial D (Street racing)

Vivid Strike (martial arts and magical girls)

Quanzhi Gaoshou (King's Avatar) (Pro gaming)
KruszerMay 25, 11:58 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 25, 11:55 PM

Jul 2021
Specifically for the sports genre, I prefer the ones that are purely sports rather than moe with sports appendages, such as Major, Haikyuu!!!, Ao Ashi, Ace of the Diamond, etc. Besides that, I also like sports anime mixed with romance/drama, such as Chihayafuru, Baby Steps, Cross Game, etc.

π•Šπ•™π•šπ•£π•  - π•Šπ•–π•šπ•€π•™π•¦π•Ÿ'𝕀 ℙ𝕝𝕒π•ͺπ•π•šπ•€π•₯
"Time doesn't heal anything, it just teaches us how to live with pain." —Itachi Uchiha
May 26, 12:13 AM

May 2020
Number 1 is Hajime no ippo, just an all around incredible long running sports show. Number 2 is One outs, its technically a sports anime but in reality its more of a psychological gambling anime, and a really good one at that. For third place I will put Ike! Ina-chuu Takkyuu-bu, an incredibly perverted ecchi sports anime. I am actually watching it right now so it may go higher or lower depending. I think you would also enjoy it if you haven't seen it :)
May 26, 12:16 AM

Sep 2016
May 26, 12:20 AM
Sep 2022
Ping Pong the Animation is the best sports drama I've ever seen in any medium or language.
May 26, 12:24 AM

Jan 2023
My favorite sports anime are: Anima Yell, Long Riders and Harukana Receive.
May 26, 12:25 AM
Aug 2018
I'm just gonna say Haikyuu because that's what comes to mind first.
May 26, 12:25 AM

Mar 2021
Bluelock because soccer is my fave sport
May 26, 1:09 AM

May 2024
Ashita no Joe stands out as the greatest sports anime ever made. The cultural impact of Ashita no Joe is off the charts, this anime didn’t just stay confined to TV screens, it broke out and influenced the real world in a big way. Many anime creators have drawn inspiration from it when developing their own stories. You can see its influence in the way characters are developed, the intensity of rivalries, and the depth of personal struggles portrayed in other series. It even helped boost boxing’s popularity in Japan, making more people fans of the sport.

This anime scenes are not just memorable, they're iconic, representing the culmination of Joe Yabuki's journey and the emotional impact of his story. You feel the tension, the drama, the raw emotion pouring out of every frame. And when it's all said and done, you're left with a sense of wonder, knowing you just witnessed something truly special. That's the magic of Ashita no Joe.
May 26, 1:59 AM

Dec 2015
Favorite? That's quite easy to answer as there's one anime which I consider to be the top among sports anime and that is Ace of Diamond:

May 26, 2:07 AM

Feb 2018
Ashita No Joe/Tomorrow's Joe

Also, I would like to watch an anime about chess because I play chess in real life lmao
May 26, 2:37 AM

Jul 2019
Ao Ashi
Diamond no ace
Haikyuu!!
Run with the wind
One Outs
Kuroko no basket
May 26, 2:52 AM

Oct 2013
I have three "favorite sports anime". First one is Captain Tsubasa (classic series about football aka soccer), the second one is Yuri!!! on Ice (it's about ice skating), and the second one is Chihayafuru (it's focused on karuta).
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
May 26, 4:14 AM

Apr 2011
My 9s:
Major
One Outs
Slam Dunk (manga)

My 8s:
Ao Ashi
Hajime no Ippo
Ookiku Furikabutte
Ping Pong
Attacker You!
Captain Tsubasa
Ashita no Joe 2
Rookies (manga)
Deep3 (manga)

My 7s:
Kuroko no Basket
Haikyuu!!
Gurazeni
Yowamushi Pedal
Ashita no Joe
Slam Dunk (anime)

My 6s:
Blue Lock
Diamond no Ace
Shakunetsu Kabbadi
Giant Killing
Ring ni Kakero
Megalo Box
Baby Steps
IKKIsamaMay 26, 12:43 PM
May 26, 4:31 AM

Sep 2018
Chihayafuru
Keijo!!!!!!!!
One Outs
Major
The First Slam Dunk
Attacker You!

+ only the manga of Eyeshield 21 and Hajime no Ippo
May 26, 9:20 AM

Jul 2013
I haven't seen that many, but I will have to say it is Harukana Receive.
May 26, 10:20 AM

May 2019
I forgot to add Long Riders!
so here it is.
May 26, 11:29 AM

Nov 2014
One Outs, Haikyuu, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru, Ookiku Furikabutte, Free, Cross Game, Diamond no Ace, Megalo Box, Ao Ashi
May 26, 11:34 AM

Jun 2011
My 3x3

Hikaru no Go, Ookiku Furikabutte, Air Gear
Cross Game, Eyeshield 21, Major
Baby Steps, Prince of Tennis, Initial D

Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 26, 4:37 PM

Jul 2016
I'm a sports junkie.

Ashita no Joe
Ping Pong the Animation
Hajime no Ippo
Haikyuu
One Outs
Initial D
Run with the wind

Lower tier but still good
Ao Ashi
Kuroko no Basket
Slam Dunk
Cross Game
Touch
Megalo Box
Free
Baby Steps
May 31, 7:58 PM

Jul 2017
Cross Game, Major in particular given they are complete adaptations. Baby Steps isn't but that is also right up there, even if it doesn't look the best or as hype visually as the likes of Haikyuu for example. Those three are heads and shoulders above the rest.

Hajime no Ippo is nearly up there too but the seasons after the original 75 episodes did take it down a notch for me, still a great sports anime. Only wish the manga didn't fall off and become a boring shell of itself. If Chihayafuru counts as a sports anime due to being competitive karuta, then that's great too although I prefer the first three a bit more.

Ao Ashi's probably the one sports anime in recent times that I have enjoyed and think is very good. Ashita no Joe's very good but can be too slow for me, don't think I'd be able to rewatch it with ease nowadays.

Giant Killing isn't my favorite sports anime but it definitely is my favorite sports manga with the amount of content present there and how good it really is.
May 31, 8:39 PM

Jul 2016
Haven't watched much but I could name:
- Haikyuu!!
- Baby Steps
- Run with the Wind
- Ballroom e Youkoso
- Bakuten!!
- Hinomaruzumou
May 31, 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
I always like to talk about how for every sport there is a series that develops it better.
box =Ippo
volleyball =Haikyuu
tennis =Ace wo narae yes I still like prince.of tennis and what is going on in the.sequel.
Baseball Major
soccer: well, that's already said. But I'm very attached to the AoAshi and Giant Killing manga. But. not. without. detracting from the great influence Captain Tsubasa has had in the medium.It makes one of the best.
Martial Arts: I'm more a Kengan Stan,but i had a blast reading Baki and Kenichi at the moment.

And well, for Basket Slam.dunk actually gave the warning to several who would come later.
May 31, 9:47 PM

Mar 2021
tchitchouan said:
Favorite Sports Anime ?

Ironically Most of my favorite sports Anime are not even tagged as sports on MAL, regardless they are mostly completely fictional sports. So I will just name a few....

To start, you got "Ben-To". An Anime that takes dinner seriously to a whole new type of level where you got gang type rivalries that literally violently fight over unsold bento boxes simply to get them for half price before the local supermarkets close. They abide by actual rules and there are clear winners and losers. An extremely violent sport where the prize is to simply fill their stomachs for dinner, fighting over a limited supply of leftover bento. Kind of odd not seeing a sports tag slapped to it on MAL.

"Girls und Panzer" is literally an anime about a fictional tank battling sport called "Sensha-dō" AKA "Tankery". Where a bunch of cute Schoolgirls around the globe go to school and live on giant Aircraft carriers where the surface of these ships are converted into massive city like structures, battle other cute Schoolgirls around the globe that go to school and live on other giant Aircraft carriers where the surface of these ships are converted into massive city like structures to do tank battles in a sport that seems to be exclusively just for cute schoolgirls. This extremely dangerous sport utilizes various historical War tanks that were either used or constructed during the 1st World War to the Korean conflict in the 1950s, where they actually use live ammo too. Oddly just like "Ben-To", there is no sports tag slapped to it either.

"Food Wars!" is another Anime that revolves around food and school just like "Ben-To". The difference here is "Food Wars!" turns the educational system on its head, where students go to a prestigious culinary arts school that commonly holds formal cooking battles between other students. Where the victors takes all and the losers can even face expulsion. Given the Anime is setup more like an extremely awkward and very unconventional battle Shounen with a mild hint of an annoying type of DBZ effect, this is the only reason why I would think this Anime franchise would not get a sports tag slapped to it on MAL. Given how unique this Anime is from any other type of battle Shounen where there is literally no actual violent combat, I find this one of the top sports Anime I have ever experienced watching in my life, regardless how crappy the final season was.

After almost two decades, I finally got my hands recently on a decent enough copy of the original 'Initial D First Stage" from 1998 on an Officially released DVD set, where when I originally watched this Anime back in the early 2000s I simply wasn't lucky enough to complete all 26 episodes of the 1st season at the time (it was so long ago I don't even remember which episodes I missed watching). Again another Anime that does not have a sports tag slapped to it where this Anime literally is about street racing as a sport in Japan. This is probably my new #1 favorite Sports Anime of all time where I even dub the 1st season a Masterpiece in my own opinion. It helped to actually experience this Anime in the best quality I could get my hands on to really appreciate it's full value. No doubt, if one would try to consume this Anime as digitally converted shit streaming on any platform legal or otherwise, the experience would likely be beyond subpar at best.
ColourWheelJun 1, 12:11 AM
Jun 3, 10:24 AM

Jan 2023
Captain Tsubasa, of course.

I didn't watch many either.

Jun 3, 11:13 AM

Aug 2010
top 2 sports anime are Hajime no Ippo and Haikyuu.
Imo everything else is wrong, but stuff like Eyeshield 21 or Prince of Tennis can be a spot of fun :)
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jun 3, 12:29 PM

Apr 2012
Chihayafuru, by a mile. Unless you count Eupho or 3-Gatsu no Lion..
Jun 3, 1:06 PM
Jun 2021
I have to agree with OP, girl sports shows are the most interesting because girls.
Also, where's Tomboy Basketball Japan? (and no, Ro-Kyu-Bu doesn't count, that's loli, and I don't watch loli shows)
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 3, 1:10 PM

Jan 2021
Kuroko no Basket, probably because it is my first sports anime I ever watched

Jun 3, 10:10 PM

Jan 2020
The only sports anime I've seen in full, Yuri on Ice!!!

« »
πŸ™ Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Jun 4, 5:47 AM
Jun 4, 11:59 AM

Jan 2008
When I think about what one I would like to come back in fresh it will probably be Run with the Wind. It had refreshing characters you could relate to that aren't just more school children. A respect for the sport and the plot development felt very well paced.

And looking at the rest of the sports anime on my list the ones I would like to revisit most are:
Kuroko no Basket
Inazuma Eleven
Ahiru no Sora
Blue Lock
Jun 4, 12:04 PM

Aug 2020
Not a big fan of this genre but if I had to pick one either Yuri on Ice or Sk8 the Infinity. The genre can get really repetitive for me. I much prefer the harem genre which is basically the same thing
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
β˜†β˜†β˜†β˜†β˜†
Jun 4, 12:11 PM

Jun 2019
Hanebado! Because badminton is the only sport I love and have a personal connection with.

And I also love Ayano Hanesaki and impassioned volatile girls cut from her cloth, as well as extreme unapologetic melodramas, even ones bordering on satire or parodies, especially of the coming-of-age variety.
Jun 4, 1:09 PM
Apr 2013
Princess Nine is the only one I've seen and I fell in love with it.
Jun 4, 1:23 PM

Oct 2019
I haven't seen that many sports anime, but from the ones I have seen, my answer is EASILY and BY FAR, The First Slam Dunk:

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeγ€ŒAMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 4, 1:45 PM

Jul 2015
Slam Dunk
Ao ashi
Medalist
One outs
Hajime no ippo
Ace of diamond
Eyeshield 21
Haikyuu
Megalo box

Jun 4, 1:58 PM

Aug 2010
Not really a fan of this genre, but I really liked Chihayafuru, Kuroko no Basket and Yuri on Ice!
Jun 4, 1:59 PM

May 2015
Chihayafuru by a long long shot.

Girls und Panzer
Tsurune
Mo Ippon
Jun 4, 2:42 PM

May 2024
Slam Dunk (Not just my favorite of sports genre, my favorite in general)
Haikyuu!
Ahiru no Sora
Ao Ashi

A special mention for Days, I know it's not the best work based around football, but I liked it a lot and it brings me back good memories.

More topics from this board

» Making time to watch anime in daily life.

9765 - Yesterday

25 by Zowabo »»
30 minutes ago

» Do you tend to skip the first episode/first few episodes of long running shows?

TheBlockernator - Jun 15

35 by BlueMaho »»
46 minutes ago

» How do you behave in front of a cute girl

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

48 by nirererin »»
2 hours ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

40 by alshu »»
2 hours ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - Jun 15

17 by deg »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.