Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 3, 4:30 AM

Nov 2011
Another season but it retains a very familiar mood as the previous including the premise. Fumiya is still receiving life coaching lessons from Aoi. They just happen to be in a new semester at school.

Many familiar characters are also reintroduced such as Minami, Fuuka, etc. While it doesn't set up everything up for the season, it does bring back the mood of the show again. I do see that Fumiya hasn't changed much yet. Hope he can learn as much he can this season.

Dec 2021
Tomozaki is back for its second season/stage, and Hinami wastes no time diving back in, immediately handing our boy a task

DIALOGUE+ is back, doing the OP with a vibe that screams DIALOGUE+, and it's pretty clear that this song is the most DIALOGUE+ we've seen in any Project No.9 show so far.

Tomozaki, despite being Japan's top player in the hugely popular game Tackfam, struggles as a bottom tier character in real life. He seeks life guidance from the school's perfect heroine, Hinami, aiming to become as fulfilled in real life as Hinami. To achieve this, he tackles numerous challenges. As the second term begins, having gradually grown and developed an interest in interpersonal relationships, Tomozaki faces Hinami's next task: how to confront the top-tier girls dominating the class hierarchy and assert himself.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the character designs this season feel a bit off from the last one, especially Tomozaki's face – it looks more lively, I think. Talking about Project No.9, there's not much left to be thrilled about, but hey, in the first season, they had Hasegawa Ikumi in the cast before she hit it big. Totally forgot that the last season wrapped up with Tomozaki snagging a job. I can't help but feel that watching this season is less mentally taxing than the first one. Maybe it's because they've made the overall setup more user-friendly? The animation (for the most part) and music are top-notch, though, so I really hope they can keep it up. It seems like the first goal for this season will be to challenge Konno's control over the poor Hirabayashi. Seriously, though, just leave her alone. Excitement is building to see what Tomozaki has in mind for dealing with Konno.

Tomozaki has gathered all the pieces needed to take on Konno, and he's even got Hinami supporting him.
IzanaSolosJan 3, 4:53 AM

Jul 2017
After 3 years, Tomozaki-kun is back, playing Smash Bros. as per usual and hanging out with Aoi Hinami.

DIALOGUE+ once again helms both the OP and ED songs, though Season 2's ED (for the OP here) is an alright follow-up from Season 1 (which I still have fond memories of being both great songs).

Continuing into Volume 4 of the LN, Fumiya Tomozaki's friendship classes with Aoi continues into the 2nd term, and it's great to see everyone back on their usual social game, free from all of the drama plaguing Season 1's 2nd half. Though this drama still continues in the form of interpersonal relationships, especially with the still-not-public relationship of Yuzu Izumi and Shuji Nakamura, the latter being part of Erika Konno's clique, as preparations for the sports events are underway.

One way to twist Erika Konno into the sports fray, is to make it an RPG for Tomozaki for reconnaissance to get her pumped and avoid Hirabayashi into being forced into cohesion. Asking the people around him in school to work with his senior Tsugumi Narita, Tomozaki soon links all of the information together, and all he needs now is Izumi to act on his behalf, which despite Erika's assertion, having playing softball is only the first step. Getting the captain position however is another task in and of itself, and Izumi volunteering herself is that step whilst knowing of the implications between Erika and Nakamura due to their crush. And sure, Tomozaki has Aoi's backing as well, though she will not take any damage for him.

It's back to the social friendship game with Tomozaki-kun! How will the 3-pronged approach go?
KANLen09Jan 3, 5:52 PM
Jan 3, 4:52 AM
Aug 2022
🤩🤩🤩 😻 it's already started. have to wait 1 hour 😭
Jan 3, 5:26 AM

Feb 2021
It's here let's gooo!!! I just caught up yesterday, and I think this is really good! There were two OVA's released after season 1, so watch them too!
Holup, the whole first season was only the first term. Our boy grew up so much already T_T
I remember Narita being teased at the end of season 1. She's fun lol.
The OP is fine, but I like the one from season 1 more. Maybe it will grow on me. It's also made by the same band, DIALOGUE+ (they made OPs for a lot of Project No.9 anime). I really like its visuals though, Tomozaki's progress and the boys accepting him into their group is so wholesome.
Good first episode! It was engaging and looked good too, hopefully there won't be any production issues down the line. Excited for more.
Also I really want to hear more about Yuzu and Shuuji's relationship.
And KIKUCHI BETS GIRL

Character songs for the all girls and a group song (+ their versions of the first season's ED) were released in August 2022 - January 2023 btw. They all have PVs on YouTube, you can look them up (albeit they're not full versions).
Real Life Attack - Hinami Aoi
恋する女子はユズれない (koi suru joshi wa yuzuranai) - "The girl in love won't give up" - Izumi Yuzu (the yuzu in the title is in katakana because of the name "Yuzu" hehehe)
STAND BY みー! - "Stand By Me-!" - Nanami Minami
私の心の伝えかた (watashi no kokoro no tsutae-kata) - "How I convey my heart/feelings" - Natsubayashi Hanabi (Tama)
ひら、ひらり (hira, hirari) - "nimbly, lightly" - Kikuchi Fuuka
Colorful End Epilogue - everyone aforementioned
You can find all of these on various music streaming services
EmbientJan 3, 8:26 PM
Jan 3, 5:43 AM
Apr 2022
Erika Konno doesn't seem like a familiar name, okay, let's see if Tomozaki can get Erika's enthusiasm with her plan which is made as if it's like a quest in an RPG game hahaha
Jan 3, 5:55 AM

Jul 2020
so far so good, I hardly remember anything from the 1st season so it was like going in blind for me. I enjoyed the episode, liked that red haired lazy girl the most.
Jan 3, 6:58 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Nice to see this series get a second season. Man those dolls that Minimi gave out sure were unique. The konno faction sure are annoying. Love the RPG format that they used to show the recon methods. A zero effort life where one is content really is a impossible dream. Showing the girls that provided the intel as part of the reveal was a nice touch. Nice to see Yuzu be more proactive. Overall a pretty fun opening ep that did well to recap evrything that happened in s1 while showing the next stage of Tomozaki's recovery as directed by Aoi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 7:08 AM

Dec 2022
Winner: Found!

The gang's all here for another round! We have Tomozaki, the nerd who's grown accustomed to socializing, Aoi, the class queen with the fake personality, Best Girl Nanami "Mimimi" Minami, and a whole bunch of other people. Today's mission is to gather information against Konno Erika in order to convince her to put effort into the sports festival. With how much he's learned in the way of social skills, it's safe to say that second season Tomozaki is a completely different person than first season Tomozaki. Will he tame the gal?

Very strong start. Can't wait to see where this goes.
MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
Jan 3, 7:08 AM
Jan 2018
My mainland Chinese weeb tomodachi begged me to read this light novel a good 5 years back and then did the same when the anime was announced, after resisting the temptation, I have finally started watching albeit season 2, lol
Jan 3, 7:37 AM

Sep 2020
Tomozaki-Kun is a very underrated anime in my opinion and I’m very happy it’s back with a 2nd Season.

It was very fun to the the dynamics with Tomozaki and everyone. He’s starting to become closer to the boys and closer to the girls too.

I love the added 16-bit/ pixel art graphics this season. It makes the show seem like a game too, just like how Tomozaki sees life as a game.

Very happy to see it back, fun episodes with great moments already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 7:39 AM
Jan 2020
let's gooo i absolutely don't remember shit
Jan 3, 7:43 AM

Apr 2023
Classroom of the Elite and Tomozaki back to back. Two of my favorite LNs.
Just happy to see them again animated after 3 years. I pretty much know what gonna happen in the next episodes so I'm just gonna enjoy them adapted.
Jan 3, 7:50 AM

Oct 2017
Back after almost 3 years, time sure went by fast. The start felt a bit recapish but makes sense to do that. Looks like Tomozaki will have to get that blonde bitch motivated. Good luck on that. Otherwise good to see everyone else after a while. OP song was okay.
Jan 3, 8:09 AM
Oct 2021
I thought this anime wouldn't have a second season, glad I was wrong.
Jan 3, 8:18 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
We're back to Tomozaki: the Smash player that is trying to become a normie by employing game like tactics in real life. If it sounds cringe it's because it kinda is but at the very least we don't have to start with all those game terms public declarations like before.

An RPG quest is the first to come to his attention and he seems to be doing it swell by consulting their classmates, co-worker and acquiantances. Being forced to do something you don't want to by peer pressure kinda sucks but someone's gotta do it and Hibayashi got sucked into that position. Let's see if the "three arrows" tactic makes some sense.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 3, 8:24 AM

Jul 2017
Season 2 is here after a couple years and have to say, don't mind this being back. I did hate the series originally (especially the start), but after reading the novels, I did feel like it did improve and got better as I read it. Still not a glowing series for me but not a bad one, so I'm lowkey curious about how the adaptation of this season will turn out. Visually, it did feel very limited with a lot of panning shots and even multiple repeated frames/shots used (felt like I saw Konno's exact same closeup facial expression of her suggestions to the class multiple times for example), but at least the drawings themselves are alright. Not like the animation is the most important aspect of a series like this for me. Start did feel a bit slow but overall, not too bad to get into the new season. It did feel refreshing seeing Tomozaki more like this and less like how season 1 began. He has shown some growth in his actions and personality and it is nice seeing him observe, conceptualize strategies and even openly communicate with others without struggle about advice to solve the problem set out for him on his own. Won't say the Konno situation is the most interesting whatsoever, but as long as it can show Tomozaki's progress and growth, shouldn't be too bad.
Jan 3, 9:00 AM

Sep 2021
More therapy sessions with Hinami's thighs. Thank you Akane Yano ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 3, 9:05 AM
Nov 2022
IT'S BACK, LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!

Finally, after a long wait, the continuation of this story has returned, this is called happiness xd.

Tomozaki as always, seeing the world from the perspective of a video game but without losing the sense of reality, nice.

I really like the fact that the development around Tomozaki's relationships with others is notable, showing that everything he experienced previously was not in vain.

Finally; I love the opening, DIalogue+ as always making a great song 🚬.

The 2024 winter season begins (for me) here, yey!
Jan 3, 9:12 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the first season and I' glad that the second is picking up from it quite nicely
Jan 3, 9:17 AM
Jul 2020
animation was fluid, background art, character acting of new character was so good and voice acting is also good, and i think more animes should Focus on Self-Improvement and changing ourselves for becoming a better version of ourselves.
Jan 3, 9:46 AM

Aug 2017
Ah nice to have this back. I kinda forgot what happened first season, but did not have any trouble following this so far.

Mimimi best girl!
Jan 3, 10:27 AM
Sep 2020
the first season of this anime really had a "life changing" effect to me, it came out precisely at my 1st year on high school, so, i do love this so much. but, you know, 3 years passed and i've already graduated. STILL, i do recomend to everyone who's passing by this step on life to give it a chance, you won't regret
Jan 3, 10:41 AM

Dec 2022
the same as it was before though i watched the dub so the sub feels off but i dont mind
anyway this time the mission is to motivate Erika wonder how many episodes this will go on for maybe 4 or 3
Jan 3, 10:48 AM

Mar 2020
Nice to see this back, though I'm gonna miss binging this like I did going into today. I still like the premise, and the characters still are still very fun to watch. It's not really unique in terms of what happens, as an anime in a school setting will usually do similar things. Hopefully the pacing is a little better handled this time around.
Jan 3, 12:32 PM

May 2020
At this point it doesn't even feel like dude had problems in interacting with people just some couple or a few months back lol. That's the anime-ish growth for you:)

I'm not much interested in that blonde's character who has a very limited vocabulary while speaking and can't even pretend to be smart, but if Tomozaki's working to set her straight, then I'm all in.

Very typical start while recapping a few things over, but okay. Though I hope we don't get much serious with "dating Fuuka" stuff this time around.
Jan 3, 12:37 PM

Feb 2019
We are back let’s goo! Glad to have my second favourite LN back in anime form. Another season of personal growth and thighs!

Pretty good start to the season, my one complaint is the direction seems a little wonky at times. Like all the up close shots of Erika’s face and Izumi lol. I get what they were trying to convey, just felt a little awkward.

Other than that, definitely established Erika as the big antagonist with her manipulation of the class. Felt bad during that “volunteer” scene where Hirayabashi basically got pressured into accepting the role

Gumi’s introduced too! Man people are going to love her.

Tomozaki has come so far since we last saw him in season 1, I think a recap episode would’ve been nice since it has been 3 years which is crazy, but seeing him take initiative with the Erika plan and even surprise Aoi with recruiting her to help is awesome. He’s still not quite where we want him to be, but he’s showing signs of improvement which is all we can ask for rn. His biggest test yet is coming up.

Please don’t mess this up Project No.9
Marinate1016Jan 3, 12:57 PM
Jan 3, 3:20 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
After 3 years we are finally back with more Tomozaki, very happy to see it again, I actually started rewatching the first season recently because I haven’t seen it since Winter 2021 and I needed a refresher, and I found myself enjoying it a lot on the rewatch as well, and so far it looks like Season 2 is also shaping up to be a good time. First off, I’m happy to see the production is good, after Project No.9’s “A Girl and Her Guard Dog” last season I was a bit scared for this one, but I’m happy to see the studio is taking care of it, hopefully they maintain it.

And I like that they kinda threw us right into it without much reintroduction, right off the bat we’re knee deep in a plot to motivate this Konno girl in another game-like method because it’s the only thing Tomozaki understands lol, I enjoyed him getting help from all the people he’s met up to this point, including the new girl who we saw at the very end of Season 1, Narita/Gumi, who is super cute for sure, hope we get more of her this season. And it’s very nice to see DIALOGUE+ is not just doing the OP, but the ED once again too, they did them both for Season 1 as well which was the first show I had ever heard them in and I’ve loved them ever since, we only have the OP for now which banged but I patiently await their ED because the one they did for the first season is one of my favorites.

Definitely looking forward to more of this great series at long last! And one last thing, the first season was also one of the very first shows I wrote MAL posts for, so if you look back at that time those posts are a lot different than what I write now lol.
TheColonel76Jan 3, 3:33 PM
Jan 3, 3:47 PM

Sep 2023
I really liked the first season but this first episode was pretty slow paced and uneventful. Mimimi still best girl tho!
Jan 3, 3:47 PM

Aug 2015
The fact that this bottom-tier anime got a 2nd season over so many other more well-deserving shows is a disservice to the anime fandom as a whole
Jan 3, 4:23 PM
Jul 2022
Seems like a good start to season 2, can't believe its be three years(!!!) since season 1 though
Jan 3, 5:36 PM
Jan 2021
season 2 more watchable than season 1 , so good project no.9 cookin right now sheeeeshhh
Jan 3, 6:24 PM

Apr 2022
most boring start out of the 3 shows i started today, welp i shouldn't expect much from another season of this.
Jan 3, 6:40 PM
Apr 2023
I'm glad this is back. This just ticks a lot of my checkboxes for one of the best semi-unique yet mundane highschool drama out there.
Jan 3, 7:21 PM

Jul 2017
ep 1 was pretty good but i need a recap of season 1, i dont remember what happened on the last 3-4 eps of the first season very well
Jan 3, 8:06 PM
Jul 2015
They really skipped over a lot of character development stuff from the LN with Kikuchi again.
Jan 3, 8:10 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to coreynj
The fact that this bottom-tier anime got a 2nd season over so many other more well-deserving shows is a disservice to the anime fandom as a whole
@coreynj

Nah, It deserves a 3rd and 4th season for the rest of the LNs too.

What's "well deserving" too you might not be to others, and this series has a cult following for a reason.
Jan 4, 6:52 AM
Jan 2021
I'm sorry, maybe I'm mistopic here, but I just wanna know something.
How many volume of its light novel that get adaptation on its second season anime?
Jan 4, 9:16 AM

Apr 2023
Reply to darpraxy
I'm sorry, maybe I'm mistopic here, but I just wanna know something.
How many volume of its light novel that get adaptation on its second season anime?
@darpraxy Most likely we will gonna get volumes 4 to 7. End of volume 6 is a cliff hanger so its quite impractical to end the season there.
Jan 4, 3:52 PM

Nov 2016
It's indeed pretty cool to have this back and looks like this season could be more interesting than the first one.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 4:17 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to YoshiYogurt
@coreynj

Nah, It deserves a 3rd and 4th season for the rest of the LNs too.

What's "well deserving" too you might not be to others, and this series has a cult following for a reason.
@YoshiYogurt I think everyone can reasonably agree that shows like NGNL need a second season and deserve one over yet another generic romcom/romdram highschool anime
Jan 4, 4:31 PM

May 2018
Reply to coreynj
@YoshiYogurt I think everyone can reasonably agree that shows like NGNL need a second season and deserve one over yet another generic romcom/romdram highschool anime
@coreynj This discussion will lead nowhere. If you want a fantasy isekai you're wasting your time here.
Jan 4, 4:50 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to MaouHero
@coreynj This discussion will lead nowhere. If you want a fantasy isekai you're wasting your time here.
@MaouHero Hell no, I enjoy a few choice isekai but the majority are generic trash and I don't even bother watching them, what I want is more psychological horror like Serial Experiments Lain and more sci-fi/philosophy like Psycho-Pass but unfortunately shows like those require good writers which are few and far between in today's anime industry. Why make a genuinely good show when you can pump out another generic cashgrab show, make a bunch of money, rinse and repeat. Anyway my main point is that this season is yet another example of "make show, make money, repeat"
coreynjJan 4, 4:53 PM
Jan 4, 5:04 PM

May 2018
Reply to coreynj
@MaouHero Hell no, I enjoy a few choice isekai but the majority are generic trash and I don't even bother watching them, what I want is more psychological horror like Serial Experiments Lain and more sci-fi/philosophy like Psycho-Pass but unfortunately shows like those require good writers which are few and far between in today's anime industry. Why make a genuinely good show when you can pump out another generic cashgrab show, make a bunch of money, rinse and repeat. Anyway my main point is that this season is yet another example of "make show, make money, repeat"
@coreynj I already understand that you want something fantastical and megalomaniacal, but I don't understand what you're doing in a topic about the episode that you probably didn't even watch.
It appears to be a mere bait for attention, an attempt to fill an internal emptiness.
Jan 4, 5:39 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to MaouHero
@coreynj I already understand that you want something fantastical and megalomaniacal, but I don't understand what you're doing in a topic about the episode that you probably didn't even watch.
It appears to be a mere bait for attention, an attempt to fill an internal emptiness.
@MaouHero If I was baiting for attention I would've made a new topic about it. Sharing a one-off opinion I had about the show felt more fitting here than a new topic. What's a forum for if not to share thoughts and opinions?
Jan 4, 5:55 PM

May 2018
Reply to coreynj
@MaouHero If I was baiting for attention I would've made a new topic about it. Sharing a one-off opinion I had about the show felt more fitting here than a new topic. What's a forum for if not to share thoughts and opinions?
@coreynj This topic is used to discuss the first episode of the new season, your comment has nothing to do with that, it's just about something extremely subjective like "deserving".
Jan 4, 6:20 PM
Jan 2024
mid anime with mid episodes
Jan 4, 7:09 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to MaouHero
@coreynj This topic is used to discuss the first episode of the new season, your comment has nothing to do with that, it's just about something extremely subjective like "deserving".
@MaouHero Fair enough, perhaps I should've made a new thread then
Jan 4, 7:11 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to coreynj
@coreynj

The fact that NGNL is the first thing comes to mind only makes your argument worse.
Jan 5, 12:16 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to animejas
Season 2 is here after a couple years and have to say, don't mind this being back. I did hate the series originally (especially the start), but after reading the novels, I did feel like it did improve and got better as I read it. Still not a glowing series for me but not a bad one, so I'm lowkey curious about how the adaptation of this season will turn out. Visually, it did feel very limited with a lot of panning shots and even multiple repeated frames/shots used (felt like I saw Konno's exact same closeup facial expression of her suggestions to the class multiple times for example), but at least the drawings themselves are alright. Not like the animation is the most important aspect of a series like this for me. Start did feel a bit slow but overall, not too bad to get into the new season. It did feel refreshing seeing Tomozaki more like this and less like how season 1 began. He has shown some growth in his actions and personality and it is nice seeing him observe, conceptualize strategies and even openly communicate with others without struggle about advice to solve the problem set out for him on his own. Won't say the Konno situation is the most interesting whatsoever, but as long as it can show Tomozaki's progress and growth, shouldn't be too bad.
animejas said:
Visually, it did feel very limited with a lot of panning shots and even multiple repeated frames/shots used (felt like I saw Konno's exact same closeup facial expression of her suggestions to the class multiple times for example)

The closeup feels pointless 'cuz they cut a line from the light novel when Izumi and Tomozaki are talking in the staircase when she talks about how hard it was to say no to being the team captain. She tells Tomozaki, "Man did you see that look in her eyes she was giving me? So scary!"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

155 by Landonime »»
Sep 16, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 31

67 by sg_epk_1048596 »»
Aug 16, 3:09 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

90 by iwubanime »»
Aug 3, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20

85 by patkarunungan »»
Jul 25, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13

33 by patkarunungan »»
Jul 25, 5:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.