Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 22, 2023 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
This was one of Konoha's deeper time dives as she goes back to year 1985.

PC-98 is still apparently a thing in this timeline and a company is involved in making a game with such technology. Gotta say, Konoha is bold for getting into this timeline.
Nov 22, 2023 10:31 AM

Mar 2020
That was a very interesting episode, but one I'm a bit confused on what I just witnessed. Don't really understand what the point this episode was trying to get across other than the power of imagination. Looked quite pretty in the last few minutes though, good directing there.
Nov 22, 2023 10:43 AM
Sep 2015
This time, it's not quite a time travel but more like hallucination.
Nov 22, 2023 10:43 AM

Apr 2010
Well almost no Konoha this episode which was a different experience but for that matter the episode was a pretty interesting experience, making me wonder what Echo is or rather was he does.
The question is will this have a huge impact on the story or at least Konoha and what she is doing.
Nov 22, 2023 10:45 AM

Mar 2013
Hm, I wonder how Mamoru's interactions impacted the Echoes into figuring out what imagination was and how they're related to the series aside from the fact that they're probably also the old lady that gave Konoha the games.
Nov 22, 2023 10:48 AM

Mar 2021
Well this episode was a bit random but still interesting,am still confused as to who those people called Echo that Mamoru met are and how they fit in to the story
Nov 22, 2023 11:02 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Guess now Mamoru knows how Aoi feels every time she time leaps. Echosoft sure had some unusual things in their offices. Quite amazed that back then they were still able to create decent games despite the software limits. Echo though sure was a pretty odd character. As was echo two. Its rare for someone not to have imagination. But im glad that they ended up discovering it. Imagination after all is one of the unique traits of all beings. Overall an interesting if rather unusual ep that nontheless provided some nice expansion for Mamoru by giving him the spotlight and experience. I feel that this encounter would also serve to make him realize that he has to change as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2023 11:05 AM

Feb 2019
Wow what an episode, man. So as people theorised last week, Mamoru did go back to 1985, the year that game we saw at the end of the last episode was made.

This was perfect for him as it’s the year his fave game developing tool, the PC98 came out. Now, the whole echo plot line is a little weird to me. Idk if they’re aliens or gods or what, but it seems like they have the ability to bring people across space and time. Likely the same as the old lady who gave Konoha that game at the beginning of the series. Echo 1 didn’t seem surprised at all to see Mamoru and he knew his name without him saying it.

It begs the question then, what did they want with Mamoru? Maybe just reinvigorating his imagination to help with the game development in the 90s? By teaching Echo about imagination, it reinforces it to Mamoru who in theory will go back to the 90s with a renewed enthusiasm for game development. Idk, definitely an interesting episode and the art during that teleportation sequence was really beautiful. It was cool to see how intensive game design was in the 80s. I mean, having to type out a musical score like that must’ve been tough, the cling wrap method, etc.

Mamoru and Konoha will now be able to relate to each other on a whole different level. Too bad Mamoru couldn’t keep all the stuff he bought :/
Marinate1016Nov 22, 2023 11:13 AM
Nov 22, 2023 11:05 AM

Feb 2019
Stark700 said:

PC-98 is still apparently a thing in this timeline and a company is involved in making a game with such technology. Gotta say, Konoha is bold for getting into this timeline.

Buddy did not watch the episode at all. Confirmation this time. Konoha isn’t even in the episode
Nov 22, 2023 11:37 AM
Mar 2015
Reply to Marinate1016
Stark700 said:

Buddy did not watch the episode at all. Confirmation this time. Konoha isn’t even in the episode
@Marinate1016 So we now have Ai bots posting in the anilist forums? cool
Nov 22, 2023 11:39 AM

Feb 2019
1nvader said:

You talking about my reply to stark or what
Nov 22, 2023 11:40 AM
Mar 2015
Reply to Marinate1016
1nvader said:

You talking about my reply to stark or what
@Marinate1016 walking about stark
Nov 22, 2023 12:17 PM
Dec 2018
So Stark is a Bot confirmed !
My Candies:

Nov 22, 2023 12:32 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was... really weird but alright then, I guess it sort of explains the time travel aspect of the anime a bit better but it was a bit of an LSD trip towards the end with how it was presented

also lol at above discussion, yeah I'm really not sure what to make of Stark's comment on this one
Nov 22, 2023 12:45 PM

Mar 2015
Little girl echo has been seen in 2023 and echo the dog was who originally led Konoha to the game shop in episode 1 so it's safe to assume they are behind everything happening. That said this episode still felt like an acid trip so I'm curious to see where it goes or how this affects the story in the remaining episodes.
Nov 22, 2023 1:20 PM

Jan 2021
This is going downhill
Nov 22, 2023 1:42 PM
Jan 2022
so why did Mamoru get to return to the same time and place he left, I wonder
Nov 22, 2023 1:44 PM
Aug 2020
i was not expecting that, the ost and animation was good

i really enjoyed this episode
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Nov 22, 2023 2:19 PM
Feb 2019
What the fuck was that ?

The 7th episode was really good, it gave me renewed interest in this series that I was starting to find boring...

...but this ?

I don't even know if I want to continue watching this or not after this episode...
Nov 22, 2023 2:45 PM
Oct 2019
Восхитительный эпизод! Я остался под впечатлением! Очень олдскульно!
Nov 22, 2023 2:50 PM
Aug 2022
This episode was the most random thing ever. It felt like such a pointless episode.

Honestly the story feels all over the place rn. I hope there’s no more time travelling. It’s honestly just annoying at this point.

I don’t really know how to feel about this show anymore.
Nov 22, 2023 3:02 PM
Feb 2020
This episode was really really crazy, but i kinda liked it. I think the 7 eps before were good, however this one is really different and still good. The only thing that makes me worry, is that they focus too much on the time travelling or how it works instead of just using it as a tool for the plot to move. Well, it was a nice episode and it contributes to the show if there is just one like this in my opinion.
Nov 22, 2023 3:41 PM

Sep 2018
What a weird episode, it felt kind of useless and out of place to be honest. I wonder if Echo is related to the time travel game phenomenon... Although even if they were, this wasn't a very good introduction.
Nov 22, 2023 3:59 PM

Apr 2022
lil green echo chick's annoying voice can actually rival konoha's, damn.
Nov 22, 2023 4:41 PM
May 2017
Excellent episode!

YOU HAVE NOW
CROSSED
OVER INTO...

THE
TWILIGHT
ZONE
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Nov 22, 2023 5:00 PM
No Drop Hell

Sep 2011
...what the fuck was that? Up until this point I've been giving this 8/10 because I'm enjoying the ride, but this episode was... pseudo-philosophical drivel

...7/10 because Mamoru is still cute in glasses.
Nov 22, 2023 5:51 PM
Nov 2022
This episode was a tremendous trip, I also want the one these people smoke xd.

I'm speechless, wasn't this supposed to be about bishoujo video games? xdd

So, the Echo are a higher form of life and it is thanks to them that time travel occurs?
Nov 22, 2023 5:56 PM
Jun 2022
<3 the ending is amazing
Nov 22, 2023 6:26 PM

Sep 2020
This episode was weirdly beautiful at the end there. Curious to know what this means and how Echo fits into the plot. I’m guessing He/she/they have something to do with the time travelling.

16-Bit Sensation has been the dark horse this season in my opinion. This episode definitely helped prove this point in my mind
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2023 6:35 PM

Sep 2018
I'm just not interested in this weird sub narrative unfortunately, even if it may lead to answers about the time travel. For me, the time travel would have been fine as a trivial plot device and stayed irrelevant/a mystery, and focused solely on the game development side of things/relationships with the team. Keep it sweet and simple. Instead, the show continues to fall off steadily every week with its dragging story pacing, and not even the MCs bubbly personality can save it.
Nov 22, 2023 6:49 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to gyanburubii
What a weird episode, it felt kind of useless and out of place to be honest. I wonder if Echo is related to the time travel game phenomenon... Although even if they were, this wasn't a very good introduction.
@gyanburubii actually, this episode gives an idea of whats behind those VNs working as time travelling device. the problem is how fast paced and over the top this episode is handled.
:v
Nov 22, 2023 6:53 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to GakutoDeathGlare
I'm just not interested in this weird sub narrative unfortunately, even if it may lead to answers about the time travel. For me, the time travel would have been fine as a trivial plot device and stayed irrelevant/a mystery, and focused solely on the game development side of things/relationships with the team. Keep it sweet and simple. Instead, the show continues to fall off steadily every week with its dragging story pacing, and not even the MCs bubbly personality can save it.
@GakutoDeathGlare Yeah, kinda agree. I still understand the effort behind the time travelling explanation, but unless they did it better, maybe keeping it a mistery could have suit it better.
:v
Nov 22, 2023 6:54 PM

Jul 2017
Mamoru's unexpected time travel back to Gogo no Tenshi-sama's release year of 1985, back to the days where the PC-9801 was at its prime, he encounters the new sofrware company Echosoft with 3 Echos (President young man, schoolgirl and dog), built right at where the future Alcohol Soft will be. But without the game box, Mamoru is practically stuck in that time period where they were just starting out to produce Bishoujo games, but in a more ancient way. Nevertheless, Mamoru's programming skills come to play, and given the time period, it's all instant and speculative. But in that day and age, the realm of imagination is somewhat difficult to put on paper, but it's by experience and analysis.

With Echo Two vanishing out of a sudden, only the President is around doing all of the stuff, and Mamoru goes to find her, which she is having a trek with a dog. But with a cryptic message, both Echos having enlightenment from Mamoru to understand imagination, that the whole premise becomes a fragment of that imagination that sends him back to 1996, traversing time and space.

Still though, Mamoru getting a taste of what Konoha did with her time travels, it's intriguing.
Nov 22, 2023 9:27 PM

Nov 2010
WTH is that thing that appeared at 0.07, it appeared 3 times in this episode. It kinda creeps me out..

They're definitely aliens that became a weeb after discovering Japan (sounds like us in general). Echo saying about the past, present and future makes me think about the Paths in AoT. We've already seen Echo 2 and the dog in Konoha's timeline. So I guess when they finally figured out what imagination is like in the past, they used Konoha (who's got lots of imagination) from the future to influence the gaming industry using her imagination?

I have so many questions. We'll find out next ep.
Nov 22, 2023 10:06 PM
Jan 2013
Is this the most convoluted time travel arc in anime fo all time?

Maybe the Attack on titian fans can weigh in.

Nov 22, 2023 10:13 PM

Sep 2021
that was...weird. That sequence at the end right before Mamoru got sent back felt similar to evangelion's endings where they talk about philosophical stuff while having the characters in all sorts of scenes.

so, it seems like the time travel phenomenon is due to aliens...
Nov 22, 2023 11:04 PM
Jun 2019
what did i just watch
Nov 22, 2023 11:10 PM

Apr 2023
Oh! So the time travel thing doesn't have to do with something supernatural that grandma had bestowed on Konoha as I had thought, but with a kind of science fiction in which aliens who control time are interested in the concept of human imagination and bishoujo apparently lol

Mamoru-kun should have been in a frenzy for having "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", but instead, getting his hands on a brand new PC-98 and literature from the time were more impactful.😆
Nov 23, 2023 12:39 AM

Jan 2018
Any of yall watch animegataris? This show reminds me of that Rollercoaster more and more. Very humbly compelling. Starts getting weird but not without maintaining intrigue, and then it kinda just says "fuck that story, let's get weird"

It feels like we are on the edge of that.

I'm here for it either way. Though I think I would prefer the aliens to be a one off.
Nov 23, 2023 12:41 AM

Jan 2018
Reply to HollowDoll
WTH is that thing that appeared at 0.07, it appeared 3 times in this episode. It kinda creeps me out..

They're definitely aliens that became a weeb after discovering Japan (sounds like us in general). Echo saying about the past, present and future makes me think about the Paths in AoT. We've already seen Echo 2 and the dog in Konoha's timeline. So I guess when they finally figured out what imagination is like in the past, they used Konoha (who's got lots of imagination) from the future to influence the gaming industry using her imagination?

I have so many questions. We'll find out next ep.
@HollowDoll
HollowDoll said:

The goofy drinking bird?
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 AM

Oct 2017
So now this opens up a few possibilities of what actually happened. Not sure actually, a bit confused but was an interesting episode though a bit over the top. The loli was cute, hope we see her again.
Nov 23, 2023 2:47 AM
Jan 2018
This is supernatural anime done right! Often-times you see studios incorporate supernatural elements just for the sake of it, when really it should have a purpose or aim behind as to why.
Nov 23, 2023 3:22 AM

Mar 2008
I'm unsure if Echo 1 2 and 3 are aliens or beings from another dimension that were seemingly trying to figure out how to get back home or transcend their existence but needed imagination to do so but they along the way wound up really liking bishoujo games. That was trippy.

Oh so Echo 2 was that girl in beginning of Ep3 that everyone here suspected was a god...well not too far off we were

I wonder if Konoha will be mad Mamoro used up one of her games and got to meet these beings without her

HollowDoll said:

Huh? Do you have a phobia of drinking bird desktop physics toys?

traedNov 23, 2023 3:37 AM
Nov 23, 2023 4:09 AM

Aug 2020
I feel like the show has officially gone off the rails at this point. It was good for the first 3 episodes but it's only gone downhill. And I say this as a massive eroge fan. I've not read the original source material that didn't have any time travel shit but I wish that was what they made into an anime.
Nov 23, 2023 8:57 AM
Aug 2017
I want more game making.. less pseudo philosophical stuff and lore the anime can't even expand on. I've enjoyed it very much so far, but this episode was not it
Nov 23, 2023 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
Reply to Enel-
Little girl echo has been seen in 2023 and echo the dog was who originally led Konoha to the game shop in episode 1 so it's safe to assume they are behind everything happening. That said this episode still felt like an acid trip so I'm curious to see where it goes or how this affects the story in the remaining episodes.
@Enel- It was probably reference to some old anime or game but I can't quite grasp what was the point of this episode otherwise.
And I honestly hope those aliens are not an endgame.

Somehow I feel whole story of this anime is actually retro game they will release after it ends. And whole series is just its promotion.
Nov 23, 2023 10:07 AM

Nov 2016
Reply to genesic123
Is this the most convoluted time travel arc in anime fo all time?

Maybe the Attack on titian fans can weigh in.
@genesic123 Nah Charlotte still has that beat

Weird episode. I would have preferred if they kept time travel as a plot device but whatever. Hope it doesn't effect the show too much going forward
Nov 23, 2023 10:37 AM

Aug 2020
Oh, boy. This episode is a surprise. Echo I and the cute Echo II... I wonder if they will show up again, they were really cool. Nice to have an episode focused on Mamoru... I hope this journey gave him more clarity.

Nov 23, 2023 11:29 AM
Jul 2021
Stark700 said:

what the, Konoha? 😂
Nov 23, 2023 2:38 PM
Jan 2018
This episode was crazy. What was even happening
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2023

110 by HandStuckInTable »»
May 7, 3:10 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2023

73 by lasodamos »»
Apr 11, 2:11 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2023

126 by lasodamos »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2023

79 by GavrocheN7 »»
Mar 21, 9:13 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2023

61 by SweetMonia »»
Mar 20, 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.