Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 1, 2020 7:04 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Mod Note:
This episode thread will encompass the entire movie since Burn The Witch was originally released theatrically as one movie but was then split into a three episode format immediately after. Please don't make other episode threads for this series.

Well, this movie/episodes was nice to watch. Really brought back that Bleach nostalgia.

While I can't even to begin to express how glad I am that I could experience Burn The Witch immediately as it released, it wasn't a flawless masterpiece. It tried too hard to copy the manga frame per frame, which would be fine in some cases, but not in just a one hour movie. While it did more or less copy frame per frame, it did leave out some world building that the manga gave. If only this movie had an extra 20-30 minutes to its runtime, it would have flowed a lot smoother and could have fleshed out the characters and world a bit more.

Even though in the manga, some events also felt rushed, because of the One-Shot beforehand, it was able to build off that. But this movie didn't include the One-Shot material, so some things weren't explained fully and the characters didn't have enough time to become fully developed. Especially Balgo, who is the flattest character in the movie.

When Noel clutched/hugged Balgo at the end of the movie, it felt 10 times more randomly out of nowhere than it did in the manga.

Another flaw I would give this movie would go to the animation team at studio Colorido. While the fight scenes were well animated for the most part, a lot of the still frames felt stiff. While that may seem like a obvious thing to say, it felt more stiff than most still frames feel. It is hard to explain.

Now for the positives, as I said before, the action scenes were well animated for the most part. The entire backstory scene with Macy and Elly was presented wonderfully. Most of the cast had great designs. The character designs were very Bleach-like and they looked great in this setting. The Marchen was animated nicely as well. Also, it is just nice to see the Bleach references and to just be back in the world of Bleach. The main characters, Noel and Ninny, are really likable (even if not fully developed), and they really had a natural and believable chemistry between them.

The ED song was nice and the soundtrack fit. The voice cast was all solid as well.

There will probably be more animated Burn The Witch content down the road, so it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here.

All in all, an 8 out of 10. I may watch this again when/if the dub releases or when the next installment is released depending on how long that is.

anime-primeOct 10, 2020 2:58 PM
Oct 1, 2020 7:18 PM

Jun 2012
I had no idea what was going on but I really enjoyed the visuals and aesthetic of the anime. I think this can be can be good if the characters and setting are fleshed out a bit more. Balgo was pretty lame as a character and I didnt care much for the two leads.
Oct 1, 2020 7:27 PM

Sep 2019
Wow that was pretty sick, was definitely hype for this and it delivered for sure. Would have been nice if they adapted the one shot as well to add some context but they did a great job regardless, story was very tight didn’t waste time at all. SS West Wing and Bleach in the BTW logo at the end we’re both nice touches. Would love to see season 2 of BTW adapted after the manga releases. Definitely got me even more hype for Bleach next year. Overall this was fucking dope, good shit Studio Colorido.
Oct 1, 2020 7:36 PM

Dec 2015
It's really good (8/10). Pre-molting form Cinderella (aka Elly) looked scarier in the manga. Maybe it's due to the coloring and the design in the anime? Animation was solid. The explosions looked cool. The spells they use are akin to Bleach's(same author same universe, so that's expected) hados. Random note: The Piper's symbol reminded me of McDonald's arches.
Oct 1, 2020 7:38 PM

May 2012
That was OD, I didn't expect them to change stuff up in this way. It's good that Kubo himself was part of this team because this mix of ch0 here and there was kinda cool.

I really loved the manga and can't wait for more, hopefully next spring. Oh and Kubo dropped a new color page for Burn the Witch this week on WSJ (though no chapter obv).

I wonder how Billy Banx Jr. compares to Bleach characters in power.
k11chiOct 1, 2020 7:42 PM
Oct 1, 2020 7:46 PM
Mar 2019
Can’t wait for more chapters get released so colorido can animate them. So far 8/10 ladies and gentlemen.
Oct 1, 2020 8:29 PM
Jun 2016
Well I was surprised. I got some Harry Potter vibes with how the world was presented and I loved that, not only because of london, but an overall feeling.

Ninny is definitely in my tsundere like strike zone, and all characters were realy fun to watch. Balgo was the only one I didn't like at times.

Either way, hope we get more of this in the future.
Oct 1, 2020 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
i wish they showed something from the pilot chapter so they can give non-readers to the series an idea who Balgo is and why he has Osushi with him. didnt expect his voice to be that high too lol
ill give them credit: they made Noel and Bruno cooler here. i like the ED song too
Oct 1, 2020 8:43 PM

Feb 2016
Well that was pretty satisfying. The visuals were pretty great and Kubo's character design is always top tier.

Bleach must look at least THIS good, please Pierrot, get the best budget you can and save it for Bleach only.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 1, 2020 9:03 PM

Feb 2019
Really enjoyed the OVA, Noel so fine man.

The world is really rich and interesting and I hope we’ll get to see the second season of the manga adapted soon. I think there’s a lot of potential here. Never seen Bleach, but I enjoyed Burn the Witch a lot.

Also, hats off to Studio Colorido for that amazing animation during some of the fight sequences.
Oct 1, 2020 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
I LIKE THISSS, OMO <3
Oct 1, 2020 9:43 PM

Aug 2016
that was amazing, I really loved it a lot. :D
Oct 1, 2020 9:46 PM
Dec 2019
Really Good Animation, I hope that whoever animates TYBW takes notes or even does it better, didn’t care much about the two leads nor Balgo, but I did like the moment with Noel and Balgo at the end. Bruno was by far my favorite character, gave me major Grimmjow feels from him. Overall very good cant wait for bleach.
Oct 1, 2020 9:51 PM

May 2012
AdolZeppeli said:
Well that was pretty satisfying. The visuals were pretty great and Kubo's character design is always top tier.

Bleach must look at least THIS good, please Pierrot, get the best budget you can and save it for Bleach only.

Bleach prolly not even coming out next year, going to be interesting to hear what these guys doing for preproduction as it's already longer than Edens Zero's was.
Oct 1, 2020 9:53 PM

Dec 2017
as a prequel to a future series, adapting the first 4 chapters is fine. as a standalone it's pretty average, would've been better adapting the oneshot
animated kubo chicks are top-tier tho

also bleachbroes expecting this kind of production value from new season KEKW
Oct 1, 2020 10:15 PM
Dec 2018
Do I need to watch Bleach before watching this?
Oct 1, 2020 10:17 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
salarx said:
Do I need to watch Bleach before watching this?

No. Not really. There are a couple of references to Bleach, but they aren't super important for the story as of now. In later installments though there may be more important references that you might need to know, but the manga sequel hasn't come out yet, so I couldn't say for sure.
Oct 1, 2020 10:20 PM

Jun 2019
1st EP:
Introduction to the main girls of the show Noel and Ninny. Both are cute and adorable.

2nd EP:
We got more info. on the Dragons and how things usually work. Introduction to Macy and Elly the dragon in this episode. Macy being jealous of Noel was funny to watch.
Also, Bruno Bangnyfe is here as well. His character design looks cool AF. Really gave me some Bleach vibes there.
But overall, a well-adapted episode with that amazing animation.
I still can't get over the fact that the show looks this cool and the animation looks a lot like Bleach but better. Studio Colorido has done an amazing job on this project.

3rd EP:
A lot of things are going on. First, the team up b/w Bruno Bangnyf and the girls to defeat the Elly a.k.a Cinderella the dragon. Also, Billy Banx Jr. is OP AF. Balgo Parks also had some weird things going on with him and the sword he brought outta nowhere. I hope we'll get to know more about him one day. That Noel and Balgo hug was cute.
That 'Soul Society West Branch' board. I guess that was a minor Bleach reference.
And, I guess this was the end of the 3 episodes of Burn the Witch. Hoping that we'll see more of these characters in the future.
Pre_YumOct 1, 2020 11:33 PM
Oct 1, 2020 10:20 PM

Jul 2017
A sincere word to Crunchyroll: WHY THE HELL IS THIS SHORT MOVIE SPLIT INTO 3 EPISODES??? It spoils the story narrative of the flow, and relegating it to the usual episodic basis isn't how a movie should be thought out. If the source ain't broken, PLEASE DON'T FIX IT.

But otherwise, Bleach's Tite Kubo's next work of a Harry Potter-esque world, and it was an enjoyable experience, however the score I have to bring down because of the episodic timeframe of things that was good. Concluding to the overall experience, it turned out good but decent. No worries, hoping that the manga's 2nd outing will improve for things to come, and eventually its anime adaptation in the future.

3-episode movie breakdown:
Episode 1: Perfect adaptation of Chapter 1 (save for a scene that was different)
Episode 2: Chapter 2 & 3 with some changes, and the dreaded cliffhanger for aniticpation purposes at Chapter 3's pivotal end.
Episode 3: Continuing where Chapter 3 was left off to finish the manga.

Studio Colorido once again does a good job mixing movie-quality visuals and animation to match with Tite Kubo's work, and while it may not be top-notch, it is great for what it is.

Fine work.
Oct 1, 2020 10:21 PM

Dec 2015
It did a good job cramming so much plot and world building into 60 minutes, and the animation is decent as well, but otherwise, it feels rather average across the board. Really makes me wonder what's the point of this 'film'.
Oct 1, 2020 11:21 PM

Jan 2009
witches, wizards, dragons and i guess Balgo is the knight seeing he have a sword to fight there in the end

Noel is sexy hot too, gonna wait for the sequel since the manga will have a sequel too anyway
Oct 2, 2020 12:16 AM

May 2020
Not bad. Serves as a great introduction to the series.
Oct 2, 2020 12:18 AM

Jun 2020
Yeah, it ended. It was actually pretty good, liked it. The animation was pretty good as well. Although some characters were underdeveloped, the only characters that were developed were the two girls and the pink haired one (I don't even remember their names). If this was longer, it would have been better, just as what Promethazine (https://myanimelist.net/profile/Promethazine) said in his review.

The last panty shot of the black haired girl (see, I forgot her name, this is why it needs to be longer) was pretty funny.

Well, I give it a 7.3/10 or just 7, good, although it has flaws.
Monkey_BusinessOct 4, 2020 7:35 PM

Oct 2, 2020 12:19 AM

May 2020
XXXXXXXXXIII said:
It did a good job cramming so much plot and world building into 60 minutes, and the animation is decent as well, but otherwise, it feels rather average across the board. Really makes me wonder what's the point of this 'film'.

As you have said, world-building. The manga hasn't finished serializing.
Oct 2, 2020 1:00 AM

Oct 2017
Glad to see Studio Colorido adapted this really well. The visuals, character design and animation were really good. Action scenes were well done too. I really liked the music and ed.

I love this world setting, it's fantastic. This is just the begining and I'm already quite amazed at it.

Noel was really beautiful in the anime too. This was too short to get attached to any character but Noel's proly gonna be my fav. Ninny was quite funny and for now I dun like Balgo. That last scene was cute and funny too.

Looking forward to season 2 of the manga and surely we'll get an anime of that too someday.
Oct 2, 2020 1:03 AM

Sep 2019
This reminded me of Bleach a lot, especially the character design. Balgo looks like Ichigo a lot and Noel looks like Rukia.
Oct 2, 2020 2:03 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, that was really fun. Ninny and Noel are great leads. Though that white dragon really reminded me of the white dragon in how to train your dragon lmao.

Soul Society West Branch huh? Damn, that's an awesome tie in to bleach.
sKyBlazer08Oct 2, 2020 4:08 AM
Oct 2, 2020 2:43 AM

Jun 2020
It was okay, but all that worldbuilding and character introductions don't really mean much yet, unless we see more of the story. Soul Society West Branch lmao

Am I missing something, why did Noel grab the dude like that at the end like she loved him or something?
This anime shit is addictive
Oct 2, 2020 2:55 AM

May 2012
spectrojan said:
It was okay, but all that worldbuilding and character introductions don't really mean much yet, unless we see more of the story. Soul Society West Branch lmao

Am I missing something, why did Noel grab the dude like that at the end like she loved him or something?

What you'll need to know is that she hugged him (Balgo) because she was scared that he'll get killed as they know each other personally (while Ninny only got to know him 1-2 month prior). She was basically most worried about the hunt order on Balgo's head which had every single person in reverse london go after him for a bounty. Cinderella's appearance put that to halt then. Hopefully they release the manga volume in english soon.

Oct 2, 2020 2:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, this was pretty good, to be honest. Setting, Animation & the main duo interactions were some of the big positives but honestly I can't say I understood too much of the story lol.

I'm surprised that the pink-haired lady didn't seem too aggravated by the supposed death of the mystical dragon though, found that bit a little strange.

Banx Jr. totally chill and that one top-shot noticing his presence and importance was dope, I must say. I'm a sucker for those moments, lol. There's got to be that one person who notices to make things that much more interesting, in my opinion.

ED theme is an absolute banger too!

I think I'm going to settle with a somewhat generous 7/10 here. Definitely looking forward to more of this!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 2, 2020 3:16 AM

Sep 2019
World building was really good for a 1 hour movie. I liked the animation and character designs (Noel is the best girl by far) but I didn't like the movie that much overall. If it gets a sequel it will probably fix the emptiness of this one.
z00nexOct 2, 2020 3:25 AM
Oct 2, 2020 4:06 AM

Mar 2016
First of all, I am very thankful to Studio Colorido for adapting this in a spectacular way. They literally made this so enjoyable! I loved the animation a lot!

I'm so excited about Burn the Witch now. I didn't expect such level of story while reading the manga, but this definitely makes me want to know more!

Totally recommendable to everyone. :D
Oct 2, 2020 4:53 AM

Jan 2015
Wait what? No way, I want more. Nothing was concluded or resolved, I've got so many questions.
Impressive production quality btw

9/10
Oct 2, 2020 5:03 AM

Jul 2012
Well that was really much better than i expected. Having read manga (2 episodes adapted) it was rather okayish story. The finishing this arc episode made it much better.

Beatiful yet different animation, really sometimes makes it feel like a western cartoon which i think is rather weird.

The strangest thing for me is that there is a one-shot story of how Balgo becomes dragonclad and Osushi, which adds so much more to the whole picture. Without knowing that it should be so more much harder to watch.

Overall 7/10 Story is still rather questionable, but now mote interested in it.
Oct 2, 2020 5:22 AM

May 2012
allenjke said:
Well that was really much better than i expected. Having read manga (2 episodes adapted) it was rather okayish story. The finishing this arc episode made it much better.

Beatiful yet different animation, really sometimes makes it feel like a western cartoon which i think is rather weird.

The strangest thing for me is that there is a one-shot story of how Balgo becomes dragonclad and Osushi, which adds so much more to the whole picture. Without knowing that it should be so more much harder to watch.

Overall 7/10 Story is still rather questionable, but now mote interested in it.

In the first volume the OS is now named Chapter 0.8 "Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover".
Oct 2, 2020 5:24 AM

Sep 2017
That was a nice movie

It was more enjoyable than the manga
Oct 2, 2020 6:07 AM
May 2014
too bad it's only 1 movie, i thought this was a 1 cour anime
i hope they make more
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2020 6:08 AM

Feb 2016
uninstallthegame said:
also bleachbroes expecting this kind of production value from new season KEKW

Hey, at least let us dream about it :omegalul:
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 2, 2020 6:18 AM

Dec 2018
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh my poor eyes hurts! So many ugly anime males it hurts just to look at them

Bad anime! Bad. Be ashamed of yourself!

For hurting my poor old eyes you get 1/10

Imo It should only have been cute girls

Yuri-CrusaderOct 2, 2020 6:25 AM
Oct 2, 2020 6:22 AM
Apr 2014
that was pretty cool, Colorido adapted it very well
Oct 2, 2020 7:53 AM

Aug 2013
As a manga reader, this has was really good.

Billy taking down the Marchen with one shot was the thing I was most looking forward to. Oh, and also Noel getting animated.

Overall, a very good adaptation. 7/10.

Oct 2, 2020 8:09 AM
Apr 2018
I didn't find the anime boring at all, unlike the manga. I really like this adaptation and it made me appreciate the source material more. Glad they animated it.
Oct 2, 2020 8:29 AM

Apr 2019
Pretty disappointed... the plot holes and mega coincidences are so dumb. Characters were bland too. I guess the only redeemable part is that old guy at the end who somehow one shot the dragon... potential to get some development there.

Yuri-Crusader said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh my poor eyes hurts! So many ugly anime males it hurts just to look at them

Bad anime! Bad. Be ashamed of yourself!

For hurting my poor old eyes you get 1/10

Imo It should only have been cute girls

fr. where is the yuri?!?!?!

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeOct 4, 2020 11:13 AM

Oct 2, 2020 9:10 AM
Aug 2020
It was enjoyable, to say the least. I can't really understand the whole premise of the movie or what is leading towards as the pacing was really fast and I am unsure if this weird dark dragon with the sliced face is the main threat or not.
Overall the animation and the world is amazing all that I think needs to improve is the character development as I can barely understand what the characters stand for and who they are as people along with their story and how they got to where they are.
Oct 2, 2020 9:50 AM
Dec 2009
This was a really good episode. It's really weird that they classified this as a movie when it the episodes are too short (like OVAs/specials).

The animation was really good and the characters/world was interesting. I really hope they expand on this in the future, since this seems to be a pet project. So far, I like what I see. I'll check out episodes 2 and 3 later on.

Also, obligatory Ninny best girl.
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Oct 2, 2020 10:41 AM

May 2012
Not a bad first episode. I think I'm in love with Ninny, but Noel is not bad either. Kubo, Tite really knows how to draw women.

I like the world and characters so far, but we got a lot of info dump. It was way to much in my opinion. Felt like it could have been spread out more, but not all in the first episode. Got introduce to a gang of characters and I really only care about the main two.

The animation is crazy. I love this art style. It reminds me of refine water painting with a pastel color palette. It's plain and bland, but yet everything pops. visually its breathtaking.

The ED is a banger! I love it. Wonder what the opening will be.

Overall it was okay. I liked this episode? OVA? Movie? Whatever it was, I'm ready for the next two episodes.

3/5

"We finally saw the panties... and it was worth it!

Best episode of the movie, OVA, I'm still not sure, but it was great. Felt at little rush with the Cinderella ending, but man that was sick as hell. Her transformation was majestic and gorgeous. One of the seven dragons of fairy tales and definitely lived up to the name. Love how Noel was very poetic with it all lol.

To be such a bad ass dragon and taken out in less than second felt very unrewarding. One shot kill from the chef was bad ass indeed, however made zero sense. Kubo, Tite still has his same bad story telling problems. I mean Bang said they need to take out all the horns, but it went down with one broken and they captured it. Then I guess we not going to talk about the sword? I mean what was the point? Did it distract Cinderella or did she remember her time with Macy? What happened there lol.

Still I love this world and surprisingly love the characters. Took some of the good qualities from Bleach and build the upon here. Loving the humor mixed with the action. Love the few characters like Ninny, Noel, and Balgo. I'm pretty sure Balgo and Noel are like childhood friends maybe. They're chemistry is great. The world and these dragoons are amazing. Reminds of some FFXIV Heaven's Ward vibe to it. I would to explore deeper into what this universe has to offer. Like the Soul Society reference at the end, but this can stand on it's own. No need to be tied to Bleach by any means.

Overall I love a 12 episode series easily and hope it remands fun and entertaining through out.

6/10"
AntearionOct 8, 2020 10:27 AM
Oct 2, 2020 12:49 PM

Dec 2014
wow this is a movie..so well made... very nice
Oct 2, 2020 1:00 PM

Jul 2017
Tite Kubo's awesome character designs animated again. Lovely sight to see.

The production is solid, designs are damn good, rest of it is forgettable and boring as hell but I'll stick to admiring the designs.
Oct 2, 2020 3:39 PM
Dec 2015
Do I need to read the manga (one shot)to understand the anime?
Oct 2, 2020 4:27 PM

May 2018
does anybody around here know who did Macy's voice??
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Burn the Witch Episode 3 Discussion

Adnash - Apr 8

0 by Adnash »»
Apr 8, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Burn the Witch Episode 2 Discussion

Adnash - Apr 7

0 by Adnash »»
Apr 7, 11:40 PM

» Who is better Ninny or Noel?

DSAO086 - Jan 3

20 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 5, 9:53 AM

» Your favorite character in Burn the Witch(ANIME ONLY)

DSAO086 - Jan 3

9 by oogaboogascary »»
Jan 4, 7:51 PM

» Anime adaptation announced.

Piromysl - Sep 16, 2023

9 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jan 3, 4:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.