Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2018 9:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another terrific episode of theatric performances under the star night!

Nana is really making a name for herself and I find her style really enjoyable with her attitude.
Sep 6, 2018 12:16 PM

Dec 2014
The starlight play looked really cool, and the ost was great.

Karen and Banana's fight wasn't mind-blowing as Hikari vs Banana, and I liked the ost of the last episode more as well, but it was still great.

The ending with Banana and Junna was awesome too.

Well now that they did 3 episodes focused mostly on Banana, kinda wondering if they'll rush the last 3 episodes as Claudine never got an episode, Maya needs another episode for somebody else to take Top Star, and the awaited finale with Hikari vs Karen.

Feels really sad knowing that this anime will end in 3 weeks, kinda the only anime I get hyped to watch every week.

Really love this anime but can't help but feel they'll mess it up, hopefully not.
Kaori6Sep 6, 2018 12:23 PM
Sep 6, 2018 6:30 PM

Mar 2008
no.1 anime of the season at least for me. Easy 10/10 : v
Sep 7, 2018 2:46 AM

Sep 2017
From what I have heard this show is pretty short of manpower (though it's probably not short of money). The producer even asked for new genga drawers on twitter. So the small team of people have been strained for continuously producing great sakuga for the last episodes, that's why we have an energy-saving episode like this one. I'm sure the fight scene is disappointing for many people especially since the show has been setting a high bar for itself, but I guess it is something we may be able to look past if the team is taking a breath before a climactic finale.

Also I think it is actually nice to resolve Banana's arc in a low-key way like this. It means the creators of the show know what this show ultimately is about. It is about 9 girls competing each other to become the top star on stage. It makes use of some fancy ideas like letting them fight each other on a surrealist stage or world-bending superpower to loop time, but these ideas are not what the show is about. People who fret about things like the nonsensical combat mechanics is missing the point. The show never toke its "combat system" too seriously and only because of that, wonderful nonsense like Hikari vs. Mahiru in ep.5 was possible. If the show had gone into a different direction and had made Oba Nana some sort of overpower final boss who can only be defeated in the last episode in Gurren Lagann style, the thematic coherence of the show would have completely fallen part, as the main theme of "competition to the top" would give way to "regaining the future". Oba Nana's fear of future was related to how she saw how the competitive environment as hostile to long lasting friendship. Her arc exists to strengthen the overarching theme of competition, not the other way around. It would miss the point to think the show centred around timeloop, rather than a harsh system that allows only one winner.
CHCSep 7, 2018 2:54 AM
Sep 7, 2018 3:37 AM

Oct 2014
I'm happy that they resolved Banana, and not leave her ending unlike what I feared last episode.
I'm sad bcs that means Saijou won't have much on her. :(
I'll save the rest of my comment for when I actually watch the episode.

Edit: man I just wanna hug Nana so bad this whole episode. So much I stopped caring about the Starlight thing (not that I missed any since it's basically Karen & Hikari's story, anyway.)
I should say thank you, Junna, for doing it for all of us. :')
Yeah, this episode may lack all the glows and glorious animation. But for me it has more feels than the rest of the season combined, so far.

Edit 2: Now that I think of it again, the crudeness and lack of fluidity in the animation suits so so well with the mood Nana is in in this episode. Lack of majestic props, lack of flashy artistic fight, and instead rough, full of anger, choreography, suit as the feelings of Daiba Nana is being stripped naked for all of us to see and hear. Yeah, this episode is better this way, where there's nothing but plain honesty, of a girl who feared the future, and found salvation despite her sins.

CHC said:
From what I have heard this show is pretty short of manpower (though it's probably not short of money).

I think the show doesn't have much money on it, either. Bcs usually:
- more money = more power to hire personnel (although it's not the only variable in play. Scheduling and length of project from planning to execution play a big part, too.)
- more sakuga = more effort and time spent. (which ofc means more people, but that's not always the case.)

A nice sign of shows with budget power is the amount advertising it got, official or not official (internet chats, etc.)
Considering the relatively minimum amount to advertise the anime outside Japan, I say they don't really have much money for the anime, either.
(The twitter account is busy with the stage play, with only few anime-related advertisement.)
Anime in the first place is always treated as another advertisement media. The staff simply put more effort and love into the anime and create something that might end up being better than the real thing (the stage play.)
Praise to them, really.

also stuff like combat systems, they don't tell us but they show us.
It works on a convergent multi-dimensional system: the interrelated multi-dimension theory used in quantum physics, often seen in science fiction that involves traversing between worlds and dimension: time travel, time loop, etc.
So stuff like episode 5 is really breaking the law of quantum physics, but the writers and the staff did understand that and find a way to integrate that into the framework of the story.
If you notice that big cat riding that small truck often used to write white lines for sport ground back in episode 5.

ps.: Actually, the usage of props in this show are really really good. I might as far say their usage of props here is the best among all anime from this year, so far.
(That's a big praise considering we have Sora Yori and Yuru Camp this year.)
Revvie-chanSep 7, 2018 12:22 PM
Sep 8, 2018 12:24 AM

May 2015
Oh oh...Nana isn't comfortable with the changes to Starlight...
By the way, who exactly is watching the play anyway?

I'm going to need to keep an eye on this....wait a minute:

Yep. Nana doesn't want it to change...

So that's how the play goes. Two people who separate reunite, but one has an accident and loses her memory. They go to the star tower to get their wish granted. The one who remembers goes blind and falls from the tower. The one who forgot remembers...I guess this is what Nana meant by Starlight being a tragedy. Only one can be the top star...Small star, small joy. Great star, great wealth...So how are Karen and Hikari going to make this work...

Hehehe, Karen was not supposed to interfere with the audition, which is what changed everything up. But Giraffe doesn't mind. Change it!

Revue of Bonds. Nana vs. Karen. The one who wants to retain Starlight vs. the one who wants to change it. This is gonna be good...Bonds...well I'm going to guess that Karen's going to win this one because BONDS!

"Men are men. The best sometimes forget." I'll get back to this later...

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is continually fearing that you'll make one." Murphy's Law!

Hahaha, you know, after hearing Nana asking for more quotes from famous poets, it seems to me that Starlight is the only play that she has ever known...Go read some Shakespeare!

Now as for the quote above? Sometimes the best are so good that they don't have to change themselves because they think they don't have to improve any further. However, those who aren't the best yet can still improve, and what they learn may be able to surpass the best with unexpected results. Nana thought she was gud, so she doesn't need to git gudder, but those who aren't as gud can git gudder!

Well we have one more audition to go, and the only one among the top four who we have yet to learn about is Claudine. So considering that Karen and Claudine are tied for 3rd, next episode has to be Claudine's time to shine!
Sep 8, 2018 3:20 AM

Dec 2014
Tarotist said:

Well we have one more audition to go, and the only one among the top four who we have yet to learn about is Claudine. So considering that Karen and Claudine are tied for 3rd, next episode has to be Claudine's time to shine!

Tho it makes 0 sense for them to have a rematch after Karen defeated her in ep 8, also Hikari prolly lost to her on ep 5 (most likely)... idk how they'll do this but maybe a 2v2 would be better lmfao?

Sep 8, 2018 4:16 AM

Dec 2014
Hmm, I just realised that the giraffe said it's the last day of the auditions at the end of the episode after the ending credits lol...
Sep 8, 2018 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
Is it me or was this episode not as polished as the rest? The scenes looked low budget. In other series I would not bat an eye. But it was so good to see you now.
Sep 8, 2018 5:16 AM

Sep 2017
Revvie-chan said:
I think the show doesn't have much money on it, either. Bcs usually:
- more money = more power to hire personnel (although it's not the only variable in play. Scheduling and length of project from planning to execution play a big part, too.)

They asked for sakuga artists on twitter. That means they have got money to pay them. They are understaffed for other reasons than tight budget.

It works on a convergent multi-dimensional system: the interrelated multi-dimension theory used in quantum physics, often seen in science fiction that involves traversing between worlds and dimension: time travel, time loop, etc.

My point is that the fight happens in the show works like the dance in a ballet. Surely if you insist, you can explain the dance in a ballet by constructing theories about it, say, characters in the story dance to resolve conflicts because they are actually living in a parallel universe in which social norms and physical laws are different than ours. But such explanation is not necessary nor accepting such theories would add anything to the work. The point is to see art as art, not necessarily as some sort of alternative reality. The appropriate question to ask is not "did that defy physics?" or "was it logical that Hikari became so powerful all of a sudden?" The kind of questions that really matters to the show is something like "has this fight scene successfully expressed character's emotion/strengthened the themes/been aesthetically captivating?"
Sep 8, 2018 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
Revue starlight - the show that keeps being amazing each week yet everyone keeps on sleeping on it
Sep 8, 2018 7:08 AM

Jan 2015
I can’t believe how bland and borderline boring this series has become for me... Even in spite of finally learning how the story of the play ‘Starlight’ is supposed to play out — which is obviously meant to telegraph where the plot of the show itself, is going. But, I just don’t care about any of it, anymore. Ever since that timeloop episode, whatever interest and fascination I had for this show and its characters, has now faltered. And continuing to watch it, just feels like going through the motions. Especially thanks to all of the cliches and level of predictability of the plot, which really doesn’t help. But, even the characters themselves; They lack any sort of legitimate personality or characterization, because none of them has actually been in focus for long enough, or been shown doing anything other than obsessing over this performance, to feel resonating. Whatever depth of character they’ve tried to shoehorn in, has been at a hummingbird’s pace. Like ADHD playing out in real time, as a plot. So that, you barely get to know or care about any of them, at all. And it’s all just made kinda ‘meh’, for it.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Sep 8, 2018 7:09 AM

Dec 2014
anirudhtsuki said:
Is it me or was this episode not as polished as the rest? The scenes looked low budget. In other series I would not bat an eye. But it was so good to see you now.

Yup, most of the scenes looked dull compared to other episodes especially before first 7 mins and before the revue.

Starlight looked beautiful and and the revue was fine, but not on the level of other revues.
Sep 8, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2014
sXeblues said:
I can’t believe how bland and borderline boring this series has become for me... Even in spite of finally learning how the story of the play ‘Starlight’ is supposed to play out — which is obviously meant to telegraph where the plot of the show itself, is going. But, I just don’t care about any of it, anymore. Ever since that timeloop episode, whatever interest and fascination I had for this show and its characters, has now faltered. And continuing to watch it, just feels like going through the motions. Especially thanks to all of the cliches and level of predictability of the plot, which really doesn’t help. But, even the characters themselves; They lack any sort of legitimate personality or characterization, because none of them has actually been in focus for long enough, or been shown doing anything other than obsessing over this performance, to feel resonating. Whatever depth of character they’ve tried to shoehorn in, has been at a hummingbird’s pace. Like ADHD playing out in real time, as a plot. So that, you barely get to know or care about any of them, at all. And it’s all just made kinda ‘meh’, for it.

Asking to show them not obsess about starlight is like asking to show BNHA's characters not obsess about the concept of heroes. They choose to enter this school of great history of performances/heroes and dedicated their lives to it cause they love it. This is what the anime is about, if you can't tolerate it then you're better of dropping the anime.

Ep 7's timeloop made ppl return to the anime, because they thought they finally revealed the plot but soon they'll drop it again, why because they didn't know that the timeloop wasn't the plot but a means to delve into Banana's character and show love and obsess over their performance, have you never had the thought of wanting to re-live something like it was the first time? I think everyone had thought that at some point, if we had the chance to do so then we prolly
would have done it.

When an anime becomes dull to you, you won't be able to enjoy it again whatever the anime throws at you, and you'll be nitpicking about every line even tho you'd usually not give it a second thought, usually I just drop anime when it gets to that point, maybe this anime is just not for you.
Sep 8, 2018 8:21 AM

Jul 2017
It was the weakest episode of the series so far since it didn't feel anything impactful, but I was still entertained to a degree to call it a decent episode.

Something with the scenes didn't look as good as before. Maybe the lack of time?
Sep 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Oct 2014
CHC said:

My point is that the fight happens in the show works like the dance in a ballet. Surely if you insist, you can explain the dance in a ballet by constructing theories about it, say, characters in the story dance to resolve conflicts because they are actually living in a parallel universe in which social norms and physical laws are different than ours. But such explanation is not necessary nor accepting such theories would add anything to the work. The point is to see art as art, not necessarily as some sort of alternative reality. The appropriate question to ask is not "did that defy physics?" or "was it logical that Hikari became so powerful all of a sudden?" The kind of questions that really matters to the show is something like "has this fight scene successfully expressed character's emotion/strengthened the themes/been aesthetically captivating?"

budget: ah okay.

anime:
I agree with your point, and your original point from the post I quoted.
Although each people have their own... minimum level of believable-ity.
I only answered that way bcs you said they don't toke the combat system too seriously, in which I disagree: the show showed us that, a solid physical rules for the combat system.
Dem critics just aren't attentive enough.
Sep 8, 2018 9:46 AM

Jan 2015
Jacob194 said:
Asking to show them not obsess about starlight is like asking to show BNHA's characters not obsess about the concept of heroes. They choose to enter this school of great history of performances/heroes and dedicated their lives to it cause they love it. This is what the anime is about, if you can't tolerate it then you're better of dropping the anime.

Ep 7's timeloop made ppl return to the anime, because they thought they finally revealed the plot but soon they'll drop it again, why because they didn't know that the timeloop wasn't the plot but a means to delve into Banana's character and show love and obsess over their performance, have you never had the thought of wanting to re-live something like it was the first time? I think everyone had thought that at some point, if we had the chance to do so then we prolly
would have done it.

When an anime becomes dull to you, you won't be able to enjoy it again whatever the anime throws at you, and you'll be nitpicking about every line even tho you'd usually not give it a second thought, usually I just drop anime when it gets to that point, maybe this anime is just not for you.

I will see it through to its completion... Because, unless I am really, truly finding a series unlikable, or I can’t find a way to jive with it, I don’t usually like to cut it off mid-stream. With that being said, I only ever get so passionate in my criticism when I feel that a series was actually very good. And had, at some point, won me over. Excited me. Drew me to its characters, etc. And then, inevitably, let me down. That’s kind of where I’m at now, with this show. I was really liking it. I was somewhat engaged with a few of the characters, on an admittedly limited basis, but hopeful that there would be further development of them, to sink my teeth into.

And then episode 7 happened... Which, I understood to be merely a stepping stone. And not the grand, overarching reveal that you describe some people saw it as. But, to me, it was a nonsensical and unnecessary addition to a plot I was otherwise mostly engaged with. As an almost lifelong fan of the time travel genre in science fiction, it immediately revealed to me just how inept and struggling with its own intriguing character drama, it was. And, that’s not to say that it wasn’t without its strange and otherworldly aspects, already. But, it ripped the carpet right out from under me, and felt like such a sophmoric move at a twist, strictly for the purposes of shock and awing the audience.

The biggest crime in that being, again, that it wasn’t needed. Nana’s wanting to recapture her former glory did not have to be made literal. They did not have to throw out the rule book by adding in an actual timeloop, wherein she could explicitly relive that former glory. And, in doing so, it undermined reality — because that’s not something any of the rest of us can ever actually achieve. What would’ve been much more relatable, is what we as human beings actually experience: The pining, wishing, hoping, dreaming, imagining of that recapturing of our former glories. The phrase, ‘You should never rest on your laurels’ was invented by the sheer predominance we have as a species to wistfully remain tied to our pasts.

And so, by turning the plot just so, making that recycling of time legitimized, and in some ways, making Nana an antagonist, it was, to me, a real let down. And it only could have become so big of one, because of its earlier climbing up to an extraordinary level of enjoyment for me, prior to that.
Sep 8, 2018 10:31 AM

Oct 2014
sXeblues said:
Jacob194 said:

would have done it.

I will see it through to its completion... Because, unless I am really, truly finding a series unlikable, or I can’t find a way to jive with it, I don’t usually like to cut it off mid-stream. With that being said, I only ever get so passionate in my criticism when I feel that a series was actually very good. And had, at some point, won me over. Excited me. Drew me to its characters, etc. And then, inevitably, let me down. That’s kind of where I’m at now, with this show. I was really liking it. I was somewhat engaged with a few of the characters, on an admittedly limited basis, but hopeful that there would be further development of them, to sink my teeth into.

And then episode 7 happened... Which, I understood to be merely a stepping stone. And not the grand, overarching reveal that you describe some people saw it as. But, to me, it was a nonsensical and unnecessary addition to a plot I was otherwise mostly engaged with. As an almost lifelong fan of the time travel genre in science fiction, it immediately revealed to me just how inept and struggling with its own intriguing character drama, it was. And, that’s not to say that it wasn’t without its strange and otherworldly aspects, already. But, it ripped the carpet right out from under me, and felt like such a sophmoric move at a twist, strictly for the purposes of shock and awing the audience.

The biggest crime in that being, again, that it wasn’t needed. Nana’s wanting to recapture her former glory did not have to be made literal. They did not have to throw out the rule book by adding in an actual timeloop, wherein she could explicitly relive that former glory. And, in doing so, it undermined reality — because that’s not something any of the rest of us can ever actually achieve. What would’ve been much more relatable, is what we as human beings actually experience: The pining, wishing, hoping, dreaming, imagining of that recapturing of our former glories. The phrase, ‘You should never rest on your laurels’ was invented by the sheer predominance we have as a species to wistfully remain tied to our pasts.

And so, by turning the plot just so, making that recycling of time legitimized, and in some ways, making Nana an antagonist, it was, to me, a real let down. And it only could have become so big of one, because of its earlier climbing up to an extraordinary level of enjoyment for me, prior to that.

Fun fact is: what you said here is exactly the plot in these 3 episodes.
and the end conclusion is that, too: that it doesn't have to be literal. That "You should never rest on your laurels." And that "You could always make new memories."

Nana just took 3 episodes and countless of loops to realize that.
Bcs, if you notice, she never had real friends and real emotional involvement before getting into the school. (episode 9, the scene where she sat alone in an empty classroom with just a heater, and the flashback dialogue that accompanies it.)
It's called a character progression. Same way with people, each character takes their own journey, with different length and time needed, to get to a conclusion.

Don't want to be ad-hominem, but in your case:
You definitely miss what people have been saying to you over and over again: it's character-driven.
Yes, they could have integrated it better to the big plot. But being character-driven, we should still not forget that the focus of this arc, which is Nana.
So it's right for the character Daiba Nana to travel through the plot. In her case: from a good classmate who's being good just for the sake of being polite, to an antagonist Nana who's not a background character, but someone who has wishes and motives for her action, to Daiba Nana, a mere young teenage girl who finally realizes that her friends will always love her for who she is.
In character-driven plot, the journey matters. Sure the progression from how she was to how she is is also looked, but the journey matters more.

Also these plots you said you've been enjoying: about Mahiru, about Futaba & Kaoruko, they're also character-driven, and they're even not integrated to the big plot as good as Nana's arc is integrated.
The main plot of Karen & Hikari had gone stuck since the end of episode 4, and only started to move on episode 8 (with the help of Nana's timeloop.)
But that's also when they started to cover each character and give them their own arcs, their own plots. Episode 5 was Mahiru's episode. 6 was Futaba & Kaoruko's. 7 was Nana's.
So... if you want to criticize, you should start from episode 5, and not now when they finally tried to move the big plot forward again.

ps.: You know, reading your arguments, I think you just don't feel right with having a girl as good as Nana turned into an antagonist.
Science fiction often (although not all of them) have "absolute bad" antagonist, in which Nana is not.

ps.1: and oh yes. We can't go deeper. Not enough time. The bane of every character-driven anime with lots of characters but only 12/13 episodes in it.
Revvie-chanSep 8, 2018 10:34 AM
Sep 8, 2018 10:43 AM

Jan 2018
CHC said:
If the show had gone into a different direction and had made Oba Nana some sort of overpower final boss who can only be defeated in the last episode in Gurren Lagann style, the thematic coherence of the show would have completely fallen part, as the main theme of "competition to the top" would give way to "regaining the future".

While I'm not too fussed about them choosing this direction rather than the latter, I honestly think they shouldn't have bothered with the plotline. It may just be me but having a timeloop in a story doesn't seem like a small storybeat but rather something of importance and to brush past it in just 3 episodes seems like it honestly wasn't worth it. They could've explored Nana's charcter in a different way then they did, without antagonising her (she's not too great a villan anyway especially when everyone is still cool with her outside battle lol) and in a more satisfying way. Not to mention it could've given the other characters, such as Claudine and Tendou more time to develop their own charcters and keep to the established storyline (while not making people who started watching again have a reason to drop it for a second time haha).

In my opinion, they should've gone all for timeloops or no timeloops at all.
Sep 8, 2018 1:51 PM

Sep 2017
I'm glad Nana didn't just give up after last episode. That wouldn't have made any sense. Instead this episode delivers big into more of Nana's thoughts, and she comes out with her emotions. Though the revue was not as spectacular as the last the OST was still great, and it's fitting that Karen is who defeats her for the final time. Likewise, Junna being who talks with Nana after is perfect. Using quotes was also very Junna-like.

Even if part of me thought a time loop plot that continues to the end would be hella cool, that was never what this show was about. It would have been a huge shift in tone. Instead I think the loop did a great job in expressing the severity of how Nana felt. And now I'm excited because we still have three eps to wrap this up.

Also the starlight play is actually pretty depressing huh.
Sep 8, 2018 5:00 PM

Aug 2017
Meh, Karen defeat Nana so easily...despite that Nana wiped the floor with Maya several times. That doesn't make sense. Ok...

The anime try to show the best it can the characters but fails with the plot. Anyway, the pacing do not convince me and the time loop was just a plot device and a bait to get attention.
NurguburuSep 8, 2018 5:05 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 8, 2018 5:21 PM

Jan 2015
Revvie-chan said:
Fun fact is: what you said here is exactly the plot in these 3 episodes. and the end conclusion is that, too: that it doesn't have to be literal. That "You should never rest on your laurels." And that "You could always make new memories."

Nana just took 3 episodes and countless of loops to realize that.
Bcs, if you notice, she never had real friends and real emotional involvement before getting into the school. (episode 9, the scene where she sat alone in an empty classroom with just a heater, and the flashback dialogue that accompanies it.)
It's called a character progression. Same way with people, each character takes their own journey, with different length and time needed, to get to a conclusion.

Don't want to be ad-hominem, but in your case:
You definitely miss what people have been saying to you over and over again: it's character-driven.
Yes, they could have integrated it better to the big plot. But being character-driven, we should still not forget that the focus of this arc, which is Nana.
So it's right for the character Daiba Nana to travel through the plot. In her case: from a good classmate who's being good just for the sake of being polite, to an antagonist Nana who's not a background character, but someone who has wishes and motives for her action, to Daiba Nana, a mere young teenage girl who finally realizes that her friends will always love her for who she is.
In character-driven plot, the journey matters. Sure the progression from how she was to how she is is also looked, but the journey matters more.

Also these plots you said you've been enjoying: about Mahiru, about Futaba & Kaoruko, they're also character-driven, and they're even not integrated to the big plot as good as Nana's arc is integrated.
The main plot of Karen & Hikari had gone stuck since the end of episode 4, and only started to move on episode 8 (with the help of Nana's timeloop.)
But that's also when they started to cover each character and give them their own arcs, their own plots. Episode 5 was Mahiru's episode. 6 was Futaba & Kaoruko's. 7 was Nana's.
So... if you want to criticize, you should start from episode 5, and not now when they finally tried to move the big plot forward again.

ps.: You know, reading your arguments, I think you just don't feel right with having a girl as good as Nana turned into an antagonist.
Science fiction often (although not all of them) have "absolute bad" antagonist, in which Nana is not.

ps.1: and oh yes. We can't go deeper. Not enough time. The bane of every character-driven anime with lots of characters but only 12/13 episodes in it.

Is one of my issues that a ‘good girl’ character like Nana was turned into an antagonist? Partly, yes. I admit that I had high hopes for her character. Not that I can explicitly express why that is the case. But yes, it’s true; I didn’t really care for her character turn. However, it was not at all made disappointing by the sheer virtue of that being the direction they decided to take her character in. It was the way in which they decided to do so; Again, the timeloop.

Even if what I described in my earlier post was the same outcome for her character that they would eventually arrive at, the simple fact — as I see it — is that they took it in an entirely inexplicable and unnecessary direction which, when I watched it unfold, completely and totally flummoxed me. It was a perplexing deus ex machina plot twist that didn’t need to be there, in order to make Nana’s plight and characterization compelling. It felt overly contrite and lazy, even. Like that old cliche of the writers in the writer’s room having run out of ideas, and throwing darts at random, nonsensical concepts tacked to a dart board, those that they landed on would then be plopped into a story, under the guise of ‘making it more interesting’.

The problem is not, in fact, that I have missed any point raised to me about this being ‘character driven’. Especially considering the fact that it is the small amount ot actual character development and progression — and personality, when that can actually be afforded to the plot — that I have most enjoyed, up to episode 7. Each of two characters would come into the spotlight, and we’d get to know them a little bit — just enough, I’d dare to argue — to make them either likable or compelling. Which would then, in turn, pull you in, for when the inevitable stage battles would ensue. In the background of which, as well as looming in the overarching foreground, would be Karen and Hikari’s backstory and aspirations to mutually claim the top role in ‘Starlight’.

This model was fine, and actually worked quite well, just as it was. Apart from the odd backdrop of the underground stage, the ensuing stage battles, all of which was being continually and inexplicably overseen by what may or may not be a sentient, telepathic giraffe; the rest of the series was a somewhat down to earth, arguably realistic portrayal of a group of artistically inclined, aspiring performers. With all of the friendships, rivalries and drama that is a part of such a lifestyle. And it was THAT, that I found myself gravitating toward.

I had assumed from the word ‘go’ that eventually the overarching plot would kick in, and whatever that would amount to, would hopefully be just as engaging as the small character portraits that had thus far kept the series moving. And I maintain that, to me, they didn’t need to insert a completely table-flipping time loop to do it. And that, it instead lessened the weight of what Nana was experiencing, by removing it from the reality of the rest of the characterization and plotting that had come before it.

By blindsidingly elevating it into what came across as poorly plotted and developed scifi/fantasy, it completely undermined the drama, to me. And it continues to feel like it was shoehorned in as a means of attempting to make the overall plot of this series seem smarter than it actually is. The only thing worse at this point would be if they too introduced the much maligned time travel plot device of a ‘reset button’, as a way of ‘defeating’ Nana.

Not to be ad-hominem, but in your case, it seems that you may have overlooked the part of my earlier post that described my disappointment essentially running parallel to my former enjoyment of the series. In other words, that my enjoying it so much, up to episode 7, is why episode 7 felt like such a tremendous letdown. As with most of my discussions regarding this series — or any other, where I state my criticisms — it is all too often ignored whenever I have positive sentiments that I’ve shared, alongside my negative ones. Life, and indeed art, is not so black and white, love or hate. I can still actively watch and enjoy aspects of a show, even when something has made me feel utterly uninvested in it. I can only hope this one will be able to regain my engagement with its characters and plot, at some point.
sXebluesSep 8, 2018 5:25 PM
Sep 8, 2018 6:38 PM
Oct 2016
This episode was fantastic, and admittedly, part of my enjoyment for it was from how much it spoke to me on a personal level. I'm kind of the leader of one of my close groups of friends, but work has taken me over 1000 miles away from them for the past few years. I still do my best to help look after them and protect them in between our in person and online hangouts, but it still hurts not being able to do everything I want for them.

All of Junna's quotes were as inspirational as they were helpful; no matter how tough you are, having reassurance from a dear friend means the world.

I'm definitely happy with the direction things have taken now and in the previous episode; Nana's episode had me concerned, but this is better than I'd hoped.
Sep 8, 2018 10:07 PM
Aug 2018
I loved this episode! I was so happy things ended up okay for Nana, I wasn't sure if she was going to get a happy ending! That message about moving forward but keeping the warm feelings of the past resonated so well.

I'm sad it'll be ending soon! Can't wait for the gang to stick it to that giraffe and stand on the stage of fate together...
Sep 9, 2018 3:41 AM

Oct 2007
Nice closure for Banana girl, good thing Junna is there as a true friend to her. I do wonder what kind of home Nana has, as she seems to not want to go home during their vacation.

Just a few episodes left...
Sep 9, 2018 4:21 AM

Sep 2017
Glayce said:
CHC said:
If the show had gone into a different direction and had made Oba Nana some sort of overpower final boss who can only be defeated in the last episode in Gurren Lagann style, the thematic coherence of the show would have completely fallen part, as the main theme of "competition to the top" would give way to "regaining the future".

While I'm not too fussed about them choosing this direction rather than the latter, I honestly think they shouldn't have bothered with the plotline. It may just be me but having a timeloop in a story doesn't seem like a small storybeat but rather something of importance and to brush past it in just 3 episodes seems like it honestly wasn't worth it. They could've explored Nana's charcter in a different way then they did, without antagonising her (she's not too great a villan anyway especially when everyone is still cool with her outside battle lol) and in a more satisfying way. Not to mention it could've given the other characters, such as Claudine and Tendou more time to develop their own charcters and keep to the established storyline (while not making people who started watching again have a reason to drop it for a second time haha).

In my opinion, they should've gone all for timeloops or no timeloops at all.

In my opinion, we have been too conditioned by shows like Madoka Magica and Stein;Gate to take time-traveling related plot-twist way too seriously. In those shows time-traveling element is the centre of the show, but it doesn't mean time-traveling is always central whenever it appears no matter the context. There are many other shows which have used time-traveling without making it the centre of the entire plot, such as Flip Flappers and Space Dandy.

Surely the timeloop in Revue Starlight has a huge effect on how the entire show so far should be re-interpreted (which, to be fair, is not the case with Flip Flappers and Space Dandy), but the most important effect of it, other than characterising Nana's obsession with the glory of the past, was to reveal the meaning of Hikari's appearance. The timeloop never actually affected anyone but Kirin and Oba Nana herself, as no one else has any memory of it nor has anyone been physically or mentally affected by it. It is very natural that the rest of the cast would not take Nana as villain even when the truth is known. From an objective perspective, it is more like Nana trapped herself (along with Kirin) in a timeloop since they were the only people that are affected by it. So the dramatic tension was never between Nana vs. the rest. It was Nana vs. Nana. it has been about Nana getting over with her insecurity all along. That also explains why she has lost so easily to Karen in this episode because she herself wasn't sure she want the timeloop anymore, after witnessing all the positive changes around her Hikari and Karen have caused, she could no longer convince herself that all the great things in her life has already happened in the past. Karen didn't defeat Nana, she helped her out.

I guess there are other ways to dramatise Nana's insecurity than something as heavy-handed as a timeloop plot-twist. But I'm also glad that the creative team are trying out all the craziness while making what's fundamentally an idol show. Such magic realism has been the unique appeal of the show since the epic elevator scene in the first episode.

I'm sure the remaining episodes will be dedicated to Claudine and Maya, as their interaction between Karen and Hikari will conclude the main theme of the show -- competition to the Top.
CHCSep 9, 2018 4:38 AM
Sep 9, 2018 5:58 AM

Dec 2016
I'm glad Nana's character didn't become some kind of antagonist but rather she was displayed as just a lonely and loving girl who really just wanted the best for all of her friends, albeit that doesn't really let her off the hook for her actions and I hope the show doesnt just glaze over the repercussions on Nana's part
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 9, 2018 6:21 AM

Sep 2017
The overall meaning of the timeloop within the overarching plot is to show how radically things have changed just because Hikari came to the Academy and fulfil her promise with Karen. Because of Hikari's intervention, Karen came to realise she had to change. Karen's changes in turn affected Junna and Mahiru. Nana saw all those positive changes and was finally convinced to move forward into an unpredictable future. Nothing in the previous rounds of timeloop had convinced Nana the future may turn out better, Nana's perspective thus serves to show the significance of Karen-Hikari's determination to become the Top Star together.

The show is ultimately about Karen as a revolutionary intervening a competitive system where only one wining star can shine and losers lose all (the losers in London Audition have their passion taken away.) Karen and Hikari's determination to become the Top Star together is therefore crucially important to the theme of the show. Karen as an individual may be nothing, but Karen in a group was able to stimulate the growth of everyone. It is easy to see how all these parallel with real life idol industry, where managers (Kirin) would set members of the same idol group to compete with each other, hoping a few of them will become big hits, and those who lost will be kicked off from the group and very often will never have another chance in the industry, even though they also played crucial roles in the growth of the group.
CHCSep 9, 2018 6:31 AM
Sep 9, 2018 6:29 AM

Oct 2014
sXeblues said:

Is one of my issues that a ‘good girl’ character like Nana was turned into an antagonist? Partly, yes. I admit that I had high hopes for her character. Not that I can explicitly express why that is the case. But yes, it’s true; I didn’t really care for her character turn. However, it was not at all made disappointing by the sheer virtue of that being the direction they decided to take her character in. It was the way in which they decided to do so; Again, the timeloop.

Even if what I described in my earlier post was the same outcome for her character that they would eventually arrive at, the simple fact — as I see it — is that they took it in an entirely inexplicable and unnecessary direction which, when I watched it unfold, completely and totally flummoxed me. It was a perplexing deus ex machina plot twist that didn’t need to be there, in order to make Nana’s plight and characterization compelling. It felt overly contrite and lazy, even. Like that old cliche of the writers in the writer’s room having run out of ideas, and throwing darts at random, nonsensical concepts tacked to a dart board, those that they landed on would then be plopped into a story, under the guise of ‘making it more interesting’.

The problem is not, in fact, that I have missed any point raised to me about this being ‘character driven’. Especially considering the fact that it is the small amount ot actual character development and progression — and personality, when that can actually be afforded to the plot — that I have most enjoyed, up to episode 7. Each of two characters would come into the spotlight, and we’d get to know them a little bit — just enough, I’d dare to argue — to make them either likable or compelling. Which would then, in turn, pull you in, for when the inevitable stage battles would ensue. In the background of which, as well as looming in the overarching foreground, would be Karen and Hikari’s backstory and aspirations to mutually claim the top role in ‘Starlight’.

This model was fine, and actually worked quite well, just as it was. Apart from the odd backdrop of the underground stage, the ensuing stage battles, all of which was being continually and inexplicably overseen by what may or may not be a sentient, telepathic giraffe; the rest of the series was a somewhat down to earth, arguably realistic portrayal of a group of artistically inclined, aspiring performers. With all of the friendships, rivalries and drama that is a part of such a lifestyle. And it was THAT, that I found myself gravitating toward.

I had assumed from the word ‘go’ that eventually the overarching plot would kick in, and whatever that would amount to, would hopefully be just as engaging as the small character portraits that had thus far kept the series moving. And I maintain that, to me, they didn’t need to insert a completely table-flipping time loop to do it. And that, it instead lessened the weight of what Nana was experiencing, by removing it from the reality of the rest of the characterization and plotting that had come before it.

By blindsidingly elevating it into what came across as poorly plotted and developed scifi/fantasy, it completely undermined the drama, to me. And it continues to feel like it was shoehorned in as a means of attempting to make the overall plot of this series seem smarter than it actually is. The only thing worse at this point would be if they too introduced the much maligned time travel plot device of a ‘reset button’, as a way of ‘defeating’ Nana.

Not to be ad-hominem, but in your case, it seems that you may have overlooked the part of my earlier post that described my disappointment essentially running parallel to my former enjoyment of the series. In other words, that my enjoying it so much, up to episode 7, is why episode 7 felt like such a tremendous letdown. As with most of my discussions regarding this series — or any other, where I state my criticisms — it is all too often ignored whenever I have positive sentiments that I’ve shared, alongside my negative ones. Life, and indeed art, is not so black and white, love or hate. I can still actively watch and enjoy aspects of a show, even when something has made me feel utterly uninvested in it. I can only hope this one will be able to regain my engagement with its characters and plot, at some point.

So you don't miss the character driven thing? okay then.

Nah I didn't miss your point. You want the relationships to be explored deeper, which is a fair assessment (but what to expect from 12-13 episodes? I sure still hope one day this 12 episodes x 24 minutes format currently used in Japanese broadcasting can change.)
Also you found the timeloop to be unnecessary, which imo it's fine for you to do that. But it's also fine for the writer to do it this way. For reasons I will explain later below.

And yes, the dramatic tension is Nana vs Nana, which I like but you don't (or so does it seem to me.)
I for one think that.. bcs Nana's relationship with her friends were... supplementary, I mean: it was not real. It's just the minimum hospitality, in which in Nana's case her minimum is so big that her friends missed the sorrow inside of her. I usually call this "her mask is too thick for anyone to read. Thus she can't have real relationship."
This makes it that... the conflict must happen inside Nana.
Because between Nana and her friends, there's not even a spark for a conflict at all. You even said that it's natural for the other casts to not blame her even if they ever found out what Nana did. The design of Nana as a character made it so that her conflict can only happen inside of her. Or, you can say, I don't see a way where the conflict can happen not just inside of Nana, but also outside of her. (Maybe you have an idea what could have been a conflict between Nana and her friends? Please do share if you have an idea.)

The timeloop is just... as you said, the creative team are trying out all the craziness while making what's fundamentally an idol show. The conflict can only be Nana vs Nana, after all, and a timeloop is a viable choice, which the writer took.
How is that lazy when other writers from other anime or even other media got praised for using similar plot line?
Actually, imo, Shoujo Kageki did its timeloop right. The timeloop wasn't just there so that the plot looks wow, but also, in Nana's words, she didn't make a perfect replica each time. She changed the small details again and again. Which shows that the repeats actually invoked a wish inside Nana for a change (which allowed Mr. Giraffe to do what he did.) The timeloop allowed Nana to look at herself and her "reality". (She failed to realize it, though. She only realized it after that reality bites her back in form of a defeat.)
It wasn't a journey. It was a mirror. It actually allows the character to grow, instead of serving just as a mere device for the actual plot to happen.

ps.: Nice argument, though. Thank you. It's a rare thing in MAL anime forum, having a good deep discussion about a story.
Sep 9, 2018 3:06 PM

Jan 2015
Revvie-chan said:
So you don't miss the character driven thing? okay then.

Nah I didn't miss your point. You want the relationships to be explored deeper, which is a fair assessment (but what to expect from 12-13 episodes? I sure still hope one day this 12 episodes x 24 minutes format currently used in Japanese broadcasting can change.)
Also you found the timeloop to be unnecessary, which imo it's fine for you to do that. But it's also fine for the writer to do it this way. For reasons I will explain later below.

And yes, the dramatic tension is Nana vs Nana, which I like but you don't (or so does it seem to me.)
I for one think that.. bcs Nana's relationship with her friends were... supplementary, I mean: it was not real. It's just the minimum hospitality, in which in Nana's case her minimum is so big that her friends missed the sorrow inside of her. I usually call this "her mask is too thick for anyone to read. Thus she can't have real relationship."
This makes it that... the conflict must happen inside Nana.
Because between Nana and her friends, there's not even a spark for a conflict at all. You even said that it's natural for the other casts to not blame her even if they ever found out what Nana did. The design of Nana as a character made it so that her conflict can only happen inside of her. Or, you can say, I don't see a way where the conflict can happen not just inside of Nana, but also outside of her. (Maybe you have an idea what could have been a conflict between Nana and her friends? Please do share if you have an idea.)

The timeloop is just... as you said, the creative team are trying out all the craziness while making what's fundamentally an idol show. The conflict can only be Nana vs Nana, after all, and a timeloop is a viable choice, which the writer took.
How is that lazy when other writers from other anime or even other media got praised for using similar plot line?
Actually, imo, Shoujo Kageki did its timeloop right. The timeloop wasn't just there so that the plot looks wow, but also, in Nana's words, she didn't make a perfect replica each time. She changed the small details again and again. Which shows that the repeats actually invoked a wish inside Nana for a change (which allowed Mr. Giraffe to do what he did.) The timeloop allowed Nana to look at herself and her "reality". (She failed to realize it, though. She only realized it after that reality bites her back in form of a defeat.)
It wasn't a journey. It was a mirror. It actually allows the character to grow, instead of serving just as a mere device for the actual plot to happen.

ps.: Nice argument, though. Thank you. It's a rare thing in MAL anime forum, having a good deep discussion about a story.

Well, I certainly wish that I’d gotten out of it what you and everybody else who’s championing that aspect of the show, did... At the end of the day, it just didn’t work for me. And I yet feel like it could’ve been done differently, and much more resoundingly. Perhaps simply revealing the entirety of the timeloop escapade to be the product of Nana’s own mind; Being the imaginary personification of that inner struggle to recapture her former glory, as much as being the embodiment of the mirror, you spoke about.

I’m not going to venture to rewrite the entire episode/story, as that would be altogether pointless. But, I think there’s merit in calling out the faults in just about anything, as nothing is truly perfect. And, I think it’s troublesome to just unabashedly love something, turning a blind eye to the potential for faults, as I perceive some people are doing. And so, with that being said, I have to heartily agree with your final sentiment; I too have enjoyed the discourse we’ve had back and forth. As I’m always open to other people’s opinions, and the potential for seeing things in a new light, that comes from it.
Sep 10, 2018 7:58 AM

Dec 2014
sXeblues said:

I’m not going to venture to rewrite the entire episode/story, as that would be altogether pointless. But, I think there’s merit in calling out the faults in just about anything, as nothing is truly perfect. And, I think it’s troublesome to just unabashedly love something, turning a blind eye to the potential for faults, as I perceive some people are doing. And so, with that being said, I have to heartily agree with your final sentiment; I too have enjoyed the discourse we’ve had back and forth. As I’m always open to other people’s opinions, and the potential for seeing things in a new light, that comes from it.

Tbh, when you just love something to the point of turning a blind eye to any of its faults isn't exactly a terrible thing, that just means you enjoy it that much and obv the reason we all watch anime is to enjoy the free time we have, not exactly criticize every fault and think how this anime would be perfect as no anime will ever be perfect nor will WE ever create an anime to put all those criticizes into making a perfect anime (or maybe we will who knows), unless you get enjoyment out of that or it's your job to criticize them.

Well, maybe I'm wrong tho.
Sep 10, 2018 11:02 AM

Jan 2015
Jacob194 said:
Tbh, when you just love something to the point of turning a blind eye to any of its faults isn't exactly a terrible thing, that just means you enjoy it that much and obv the reason we all watch anime is to enjoy the free time we have, not exactly criticize every fault and think how this anime would be perfect as no anime will ever be perfect nor will WE ever create an anime to put all those criticizes into making a perfect anime (or maybe we will who knows), unless you get enjoyment out of that or it's your job to criticize them.

Well, maybe I'm wrong tho.

No, I wouldn’t say that you’re wrong... But, it’s complicated. I’ve been discussing anime on Youtube for a few years now, and a majority of my content has been exactly that; Fanboying over how much I love this or that episode or series. Over time, watching and discussing anime so much and so often, you start to develop sensitivities to certain things, be they plot elements, characterizations, or what have you. Or at least, so I have found for myself. And I’ve noticed that, in that time, I’ve become less forgiving of elements that don’t sit well with me, or that I don’t particularly care for. And that’s become a part of the discussion here on MAL, on Facebook and in my videos.

I personally think that it makes for an interesting conversation to see both the good and the bad in a given thing. And, it’s always good to challenge your own perceptions on why you like or dislike said thing. For example, I’ve been appreciative of the discussion I’ve had here about this show, as it has broadened my perspective on the meaning behind some of the elements that did not really sit well with me. And as a result of which, I gained a better respect for those elements, without necessarily coming around to liking them.

The issue that always arises though, is that some folks cannot walk away amicably, and agree to disagree. I strive to never let any such discussions I have back and forth with anyone devolve into a hissy fit, and always hope that the other party will be mutually respectful, especially if we just don’t see eye to eye on a given topic. Because we’re all individuals who have our own tastes and perspectives. And, I tend to think, that we’re better off not allowing ourselves to ever be too complacent in our love or disdain for something.
Sep 11, 2018 8:10 AM

Dec 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beqCmwmtpI0

This dude's explanations are as amazing as always.
Sep 11, 2018 5:20 PM

Oct 2015
So Karen was the one who stopped the replay and not Hikari. I guess Hikari was just a wish by Karen to see her and achieve starlight together.

Still I ain't convinced by this series though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 12, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2017
From a conversation I had after episode 7:

Jacob194 said:

Hikari just by transferring broke the status quo, as she is shown having great talent so she would take someone's spot in the next starlight.

Bingo, it was Karen's spot she took!

D1tchd1gger said:
I'm guessing someone has to defeat Nana to completely break the loop. A more motivated Karen would be a good candidate.

Bingo, again! :-)
Sep 12, 2018 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
Eh, I'm just not feeling anything with these post time-loop episodes and I think this "but this is a character-driven anime" excuse that's been thrown around by some people is getting kinda annoying. Just because it's a character-driven anime doesn't mean they can gloss over plot points and just solve everything in a convenient way.

Some things that I didn't like in these latest episodes is that Karen and Hikari got way too strong for no good apparent reason. There's also the fact that Claudine and Tendou Maya™ still haven't got an episode dedicated to them and I don't think it makes much sense for them to have one now so far into the story.

I mean, wasn't Claudine already beaten twice by Karen? Maybe not, but I'm not in the mood to re-watch everything just confirm that. My point is, she was already defeated and probably more than once without even getting an episode dedicated to her, so it's kinda pointless to want to focus on her now. She had her chance to shine and lost it, so giving her an episode now would be a waste of time imo.

Tendou Maya...well, I don't know what to say about her, but then again that's because of the lack of an episode dedicated to her. I guess she's the only one that'd be worth focusing on in these final episodes.

Here's hoping that plot convenience doesn't trump over everything else in the end. I don't want to see an ending where Hikari and Karen both get what they want when we got told time and time again that Starlight is a story of tragedy. Overcoming tragedy by the power of friendship is an overused concept in anime and I'm absolutely tired of it, that's the last thing I want to see in this anime.
removed-userSep 16, 2018 7:57 PM
Sep 12, 2018 9:26 PM

Dec 2014
BatWeeb said:
Eh, I'm just not feeling anything with these post time-loop episodes and I think this "but this i's a character-driven anime" excuse that's been thrown around by some people is getting kinda annoying. Just because it's a character-driven anime doesn't mean they can gloss over plot points and just solve everything in a convenient way.

Some things that I didn't like in these latest episodes is that Karen and Hikari got way too strong for no good apparent reason. There's also the fact that Claudine and Tendou Maya™ still haven't got an episode dedicated to them and I don't think it makes much sense for them to have one now so far into the story.

I mean, wasn't Claudine already beaten twice by Karen? Maybe not, but I'm not in the mood to re-watch everything just confirm that. My point is, she was already defeated and probably more than once without even getting an episode dedicated to her, so it's kinda pointless to want to focus on her now. She had her chance to shine and lost it, so giving her an episode now would be a waste of time imo.

Tendou Maya...well, I don't know what to say about her, but then again that's because of the lack of an episode dedicated to her. I guess she's the only one that'd be worth focusing on in these final episodes.

Here's hoping that plot convenience doesn't trump over everything else in the end. I don't want to see an ending where Hikari and Karen both get what they want when we got told time and time again that Starlight is a story of tragedy. Overcoming tragedy by the power of friendship is an overused concept in anime and I'm absolutely tired of it, that's the last thing I want to see in this anime.

Claudine got beaten by Maya at ep 2, and beaten by Karen at ep 8, at ep 5 she most likely won against Hikari.

The only 2 combinations that we haven't seen are Maya vs Hikari or Karen vs Hikari (or maybe even a 4 way fight between the top 4 stars since it's the last day).

The anime threw the rule book ages ago so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 4-way fight or a 2v2.
Sep 13, 2018 1:29 AM

Oct 2014
BatWeeb said:
Eh, I'm just not feeling anything with these post time-loop episodes and I think this "but this i's a character-driven anime" excuse that's been thrown around by some people is getting kinda annoying. Just because it's a character-driven anime doesn't mean they can gloss over plot points and just solve everything in a convenient way.

So, apparently, you need to read better: our point is yes it is character-driven, but plot points and how they work as an overall shouldn't be ignored.
(It's setting that border of character-driven and plot-driven that is difficult, as there is only a general definition for both, never a detailed one.)

The only one who got beaten twice by the same person is Junna.
Even that, technically her first defeat was against Hikari (bcs the match was against her. Karen just broke in and did whatever she wanted to do lol. That's a one (standard) weak point of Karen-Hikari plot, but at least she has a motive in doing so.)

The thing with Claudine is that, any plot she might have would probably be closely related to her relationship with Maya. The anime over and over again has highlighted that it might not be just a mere competition between the two. That there might be a backstory to that, and that's what we are expecting to have in the last 3 episodes. (Since only 2 possible pairing remaining, and we have 3 episodes left, we have a spare episode to build more into both Claudine-Maya and Karen-Hikari.)

Tragic ending isn't always superior to a happy ending.
I agreed with you on the part that fiction in general often opted using a plot device or even a mere "friendship power" to get into a happy ending. But the problem isn't the happy ending itself, but the usage of a plot device without a strong logical reason behind it (or, in your words, "plot convenience.")
So, imo, as long as the anime can build a strong... logical chain about how we can get a happy ending (should the anime wants so,) happy ending is fine.
Same way, if the ending is planned to be tragic, then there must also be a strong reason behind it. "We're told that Starlight is a tragic story" isn't a strong enough reason yet, in my book. Because: fiction is fiction, past is past, and future is future.
So I say, for the ending: let's see what they have in the next 3 episodes, shall we?
Sep 16, 2018 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:

So, apparently, you need to read better: our point is yes it is character-driven, but plot points and how they work as an overall shouldn't be ignored.
(It's setting that border of character-driven and plot-driven that is difficult, as there is only a general definition for both, never a detailed one.)

The only one who got beaten twice by the same person is Junna.
Even that, technically her first defeat was against Hikari (bcs the match was against her. Karen just broke in and did whatever she wanted to do lol. That's a one (standard) weak point of Karen-Hikari plot, but at least she has a motive in doing so.)

The thing with Claudine is that, any plot she might have would probably be closely related to her relationship with Maya. The anime over and over again has highlighted that it might not be just a mere competition between the two. That there might be a backstory to that, and that's what we are expecting to have in the last 3 episodes. (Since only 2 possible pairing remaining, and we have 3 episodes left, we have a spare episode to build more into both Claudine-Maya and Karen-Hikari.)

Tragic ending isn't always superior to a happy ending.
I agreed with you on the part that fiction in general often opted using a plot device or even a mere "friendship power" to get into a happy ending. But the problem isn't the happy ending itself, but the usage of a plot device without a strong logical reason behind it (or, in your words, "plot convenience.")
So, imo, as long as the anime can build a strong... logical chain about how we can get a happy ending (should the anime wants so,) happy ending is fine.
Same way, if the ending is planned to be tragic, then there must also be a strong reason behind it. "We're told that Starlight is a tragic story" isn't a strong enough reason yet, in my book. Because: fiction is fiction, past is past, and future is future.
So I say, for the ending: let's see what they have in the next 3 episodes, shall we?

I don't need to read anything better. That first part of my comment was me complaining about people using that excuse to shut down criticism to the plot.

As for the rest, I don't have much to say. I already lost any interest that I had on Claudine and don't care about her backstory anymore, I just wanna know more about Maya since pretty much anything about her so far is unknown, all we know is that she's the top class performer.

And about the Tragic ending vs Happy ending thing, it's something that comes down to preference. Sure, tragic endings are not always better but I think it would fit this show much more than a happy one. But that's just me.
Oct 11, 2018 1:40 AM

Oct 2008
catching-up cuz I prefer [ACSS] subs...
Can't really appreciate this show but the OST is excellent!
3/5.
matias067Oct 11, 2018 1:44 AM

Oct 16, 2018 12:15 AM

Jul 2016
Oh, I wasn't expecting more development for Banana's character but I'm glad it happened. This was a nice episode and it did a great job as a way to conclude her arc.

The last scene where Junna was trying to cheer her up was really cute. I'm happy she received more screentime. Especially in a situation like this, where her partner was confuse about her previous actions. And yes, using quotes as a way of encouragement is sooo Junna xD

Also, that hug at the end was sweet as well. It was good to see that emotional side of Nana. Although seeing her cry made me feel bad, to be honest. I mean, based on the episode, before the Academy, she was a lonely girl who probably didn't have friends. But once she took part in the 99th. Starlight, made good friends and discoverd how significant they were to her, she just wanted all this happiness to be eternal. Kind of selfish and it also shows how afraid she is of the future but in the end, she was just a girl who receive the possibility to maintain that happiness and without hesitation, she took it.

Well, so just 4 girls remain. Sadly, Junna didn't make it but at least, Claudine has an spot. I just hope the next episode is dedicated to her.

P.S.: Ugh, for some reason, I started to find Karen's words kind of annoying. Maybe it's because of how weak her promise sounds to me... compare to the other girls' motivations. But well, it's not a big deal either.
Nov 3, 2018 1:21 PM

May 2012
Really lovely episode and progression, really looking forwards to see what will happen next.
Apr 21, 2019 10:16 PM

Dec 2014
Banana is such a sweetheart. <3
The final scene with her Junna was beautiful and I really felt sad for her when she cried but also kinda relieved that she might finally move on. Honestly, she deserves a lot more praise for trying to protect her friends even if ultimately her motives were driven by her desire to not lose anything.

I'm still calling BS on Karen beating Banana in the first place. She barely did anything, just spewed some words and basically just one hit, coming from her, it just didn't feel meaningful.

SouthRzVa said:

P.S.: Ugh, for some reason, I started to find Karen's words kind of annoying. Maybe it's because of how weak her promise sounds to me... compare to the other girls' motivations. But well, it's not a big deal either.

+1 to this, Karen to me is just lacking the charisma and the conviction she needs to make her beating all these other characters seem meaningful. It just feels cheap and forced because all the other girls seem to be fighting with real conviction and all Karen ever seems to say is that she wants to perform with Hikari. Not to mention we've never really seen anything from her to drive home why it means so much to her.
Apr 22, 2019 12:30 AM

Jul 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
SouthRzVa said:

+1 to this, Karen to me is just lacking the charisma and the conviction she needs to make her beating all these other characters seem meaningful. It just feels cheap and forced because all the other girls seem to be fighting with real conviction and all Karen ever seems to say is that she wants to perform with Hikari. Not to mention we've never really seen anything from her to drive home why it means so much to her.

To be fair, she will eventually receive more insight into her motivation/promise. That said, it's all up to you to be convinced by it or not. Honestly, I don't hate her character but I don't fully empathize with her either, especially when she's surrounded by so many better written characters such as Banana, Claudine and Maya.
Oct 9, 2019 9:17 AM

Nov 2018
I felt it before too but now that Karen and Nana have a match, they really have a resemble (i.e. in their hairstyle)
That was a nice match, this time Karen winning didn't really bother me unlike last episode.
I like how genuine Junna's way of cheering up Nana was. She didn't fake cheer her up but mentioned quotes which inspired her, and then her own words including a self-quote. Best girl of the series.
Jun 2, 2020 7:21 AM
Feb 2019
IMO the reason why Nana, despite having defeated Maya with relative ease, failed to achieve victory against both Hikari and Karen is due to her having doubt in her conviction. When she was facing Maya, her "glimmer" was literally at supernova tier. But then came Hikari, a surprise element that interfered with her plan, and Karen who was a wild card that jumped in with a pretty reasonable idealism, to drop a hammer onto her belief, thus making her become wavered, faltered, slipped, and the rest is just as happened in this episode.

That said, the highlight of this episode isn't the Revue but the bonding between Junna and Nana (no homo). It's a bit indescribable but I genuinely felt very comfortable seeing Junna wholeheartedly convinced Nana to the right path (which isn't that much different from what Maya did but whatever).

I mean, the way they handled the conversation is pretty brilliant, nothing too flashy but got straight to the point and above all else, had the character's emotion and expression really spot on. And yes, Nana crying after coming to terms with reality really did put a smile on my face (really I ain't crying or anything lmao, you're crying).
May 12, 2021 8:20 AM

Feb 2020
That ending was so touching. Junna comforted Nana and made her realize she needs to move on.

Nana is so adorable.
Dec 28, 2021 5:48 AM

Jun 2021
Fury was passion...
Curse was faith...
Escape was bravery...
Jealousy was affection...
Despair was Hope...
Arrogance was Pride...

Noticed immediately how the camera showed every single main character "guilty" of these words
May 17, 2023 12:39 AM
Feb 2016
last episode 22:06 ...thanks me later
Jan 24, 11:18 AM
Jun 2016
Most of Nana's time-loop thing was resolved in the previous episode, but I'd say this one truly gives it closure. I guess that might be the reason why people thought it was resolved too quickly. Was I expecting more? Kinda. I mean, I saw fans of this show kinda hyping Nana up before watching it. But this isn't that kind of anime. This is about stage plays and not Madoka Magica.

Also remember someone on Twitter saying how'd they made Nana so badass. And I agree. She's usually kind, has a goofy banana theming, and has pigtails but she's still a pretty imposing character. Like, from the perspective of the other characters she must be pretty tall.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2018

33 by splatongus »»
Jul 4, 7:05 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 1 Discussion

EGOIST - Aug 8, 2018

28 by mo_lave »»
May 15, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2018

27 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 25, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2018

87 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 9:51 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2018

37 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.