Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 22, 2016 9:07 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, so Matsumoto had cancer...poor guy. RIP.

They managed to complete the dictionary which is a nice way to send the show off. Thought this episode had a good amount of emotions to it. In particular, I think the story retained its realism from start to finish. Quite satisfying.

7/10. Pretty underrated show. I do wish they detailed more about Majime and Kaguya's relationship though.

Dec 22, 2016 6:25 PM

Aug 2015
Seeing Majime cry made me want to punch a wall to feel manly again. But happy that the Great Passage was completed plus Nishioka and Remi end up together and they have kids! KIDS!. I wished that Majime and Kaguya had one too.

Great series 10/10.
Dec 22, 2016 6:37 PM

Sep 2015
Matsumoto-sensei!!! Nooo!!! I'm so sad you died before you can hold "The Great Passage" in your hands.

Our boi Nish's a daddy and yay we get to see his wife again after so long it feels.

That letter at really sad ;-; but overall beautiful ending
Dec 22, 2016 6:48 PM

Aug 2016
SeijiroUshio said:
Seeing Majime cry made me want to punch a wall to feel manly again. But happy that the Great Passage was completed plus Nishioka and Remi end up together and they have kids! KIDS!. I wished that Majime and Kaguya had one too.

Great series 10/10.

My thoughts exactly man !!!! They're still young, they'll definitely have kids.... or more cats lol.

Truly heartbreaking that sensei didn't get to hold the final product. But i think they handled the finale very well, overall a very happy ending.

And Majime, im going to miss you. Just stop hunching man, that not good for you especially when you get to sensei's age lol

Definitely my favorite anime of this season :D
Dec 22, 2016 7:25 PM

Apr 2014
RIP Matsumoto

You were so close to seeing a completed version of The Great Passage

10/10

Dec 22, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2013
I was holding out well not crying the whole episode up until he brought out the letter..
Man I didn't even have to see who it was from for me to start tearing up. The music wasn't helping either!! Matsumoto sensei truly was poignant and wise from beginning to end. I wish he could've held it in his hands and passed away. The ending was still so beautiful.

8/10 Underrated anime from this season.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 22, 2016 8:00 PM

Nov 2011
I tried not to tear up..when Majime started to lose it I lost it a little.

I like how they had small moments of sadness though, the music did a great job to convey every scene.

Nishioka having kids was awesome to see.

Beautiful anime and seriously might be the most underrated anime of the year.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 22, 2016 8:02 PM

Jun 2014
Well as soon as they said Matsumoto "couldn't wait to hold one in his hands" that confirmed he was doomed. Even though he had cancer he still seemed pretty cheerful in the end.

They finally completed the dictionary (as expected), we got to see Nishioka's family, and there was a touching letter from Matsumoto. Overall, a nice ending.

Also, I liked how this episode was the only one that had a white background when the definition of the episode title was shown at the end, compared to all the previous episodes where the background was dark. Makes sense since the episode title was "Light."
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2016 8:16 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I started tearing up even before the news of Matsumoto-sensei passing on. The thought of The Great Passage nearing it's "end" and finally being published, I felt a huge sense of pride and accomplishment along with the team. I felt the years of non-stop hard work they've put through together, and the hurdles they had to overcomes, and I just cannot not feel happiness for them. My tears were 90% happiness for the team, and 10% for Matsumoto-sensei, because Matsumoto-sensei's passing wasn't portrayed as an incredibly sad thing (although Majime's tears made my heart clench), which I liked. He lived a fulfilling life, and was able to see his dream coming true. Even though he wasn't able to see the very end, he at least knew that he has passed the baton on.

This is truly a great slice of life, and I loved how kind of mundane it felt, although at the same time exciting. There wasn't really any excessive drama, and the time skip didn't feel out of place. I feel like this is the type of series you should experience watching one per week instead of marathoning, that way, you can actually feel the length of time that the characters have spent working on creating The Great Passage from scratch.
Dec 22, 2016 8:32 PM

Dec 2014
A really lovely and fitting finale to the show.

I am really happy they were finally able to publish "The Great Passage" , also really glad to see it being received well.

R.I.P Matsumoto-sensei, too bad you couldn't see the dictionary till the end. :(
That shot of everyone from behind when Matsumoto announced he had cancer was both incredibly beautiful but extremely poignant as well. The whole darkness of the interior contrasted the extreme brightness of the outside really well and is also kind of symbolic to the good and bad news received that day.

Lot of really nice moments with Majime and Kaguya this episode, Majime crying was really sad. :(
Happy for Nishioka, he's got two princesses now. xD

The final montage with Matsumoto's touching letter was really nice and and an excellent end to the series as a whole.

Overall, I really enjoyed this show, excellent and charming cast of characters. I love how the show made the simple boring tasks of dictionary-making actually look interesting, it was also kind of refreshing in a way that there was no over the top incidents or unnecessary drama. Everything was kept simple and succinct and that's what made it great. :)

8/10
Dec 22, 2016 9:01 PM

Jun 2014
Matsumoto dying before the completion was obvious a long time ago, but the feels still hit like a train :(
Dec 22, 2016 9:07 PM

Jan 2011
It was great up until the time skip and then good thereafter. I agree, underrated and should of been picked up by a simulcast.

For a short 11 episodes about a presumed boring subject matter, this knocked it out of the park. Not a masterpiece but something everyone should watch because this is how do characters right.
Dec 22, 2016 9:15 PM

Jul 2013
It was good for what it was. I can't help but feel like they've just wasted valuable years of their lives on a dictionary, but as long as they're happy that's what matters... I guess.
Dec 22, 2016 9:21 PM

Jul 2010
Almost brought a tear to my eyes and even though it was bittersweet it still was very satisfying finale that you just don't see a lot of in anime these days leaving you disappointed instead but not this one thankfully. Really glad I picked this one up not expecting much more than just SoL which to me is just a fine genre but this was so much more than that.

9/10
Dec 22, 2016 9:30 PM

Jan 2013
Solid ending, no big surprises. Such a simple story but well told.
7.5/10
Dec 22, 2016 10:32 PM

Dec 2012
It was very touching when Nishioka learned the news that Matsumoto died and had to keep it together in order to talk about the dictionary.

Nice anime, but the timeskip was rushed.
Dec 22, 2016 10:48 PM

Dec 2011
Oh Matsumoto sensei really passed away even if I didn't want him to go yet but he had a wonderful life.
Nice to see Nishioka with his wife and kids.That was warm..
Majime and Kaguya sure support each other :)
Finally the Great passage is complete after so many years of hard work.
The last letter of Matsumoto sensei had me in tears.
Dec 22, 2016 11:12 PM

Jan 2015
Can someone edit characters? They have no descriptions T_T

Great anime.Really taught me how difficult some works are and how much of their hearts and souls creators put and how much we take it for granted...
Also whenever you complete the work it's never fully complete, because there are so many other things you could've put in and done better.
9/10
Dec 22, 2016 11:16 PM
Feb 2012
Reading the synopsis of this show, you never would expect to find such a sweet and heartwarming story. It really caught me by surprise and wouldn't let me go until the very end.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Dec 22, 2016 11:31 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
IZEROII said:
something everyone should watch because this is how do characters right.

Sorry, couldn't pass this notion up.

Please, describe the characters of Kaguya, Araki, Matsumoto, and Kishibe without mentioning their looks nor biography data, and without comparing them with other characters. As a bonus challenge, elaborate on what we've learned about their personality by the end of the series that we didn't know by the end of the second episode they were featured in.

Let's see if this series lives up to the great character portrayal you praise it for.
Dec 22, 2016 11:56 PM

Dec 2014
Matsumoto Rip....|
The episode seemed never ending to me.......

Great series
Dec 23, 2016 12:57 AM

Jun 2014
Even though I knew from the previous episode that Matsumoto was going to pass before "The Great Passage" was finished, I took the news hard.

What a great finale and seeing how these characters developed over the course of eleven episodes was very satisfying!

Overall 9/10! My second favorite anime this season!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Dec 23, 2016 3:43 AM

Aug 2016
This was great, the best of Fall 2016, 8/10 :D
I'm sad that it's over ;-;
Nanika ga Okashii
Dec 23, 2016 4:17 AM

Sep 2014
A pleasant watch overall, but far from anything really special. I admire the passion the show had for words and dictionaries, but the presentation was just humdrum. The only thing it had to say was "Dictionaries help people cross the ocean of words and communicate" and it was very repetitive (heard it 3 times this episode alone).

But I will say that the characters, character animation, and some passionate directing here and there were able to elevate the mostly dull material.
Dec 23, 2016 4:31 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Neromon said:
But I will say that the characters, character animation, and some passionate directing here and there were able to elevate the mostly dull material.

Ha, interesting. In my opinion the material itself was fine—it's the direction that was too generic. If anime has taught us anything it's that "dull" subject matter benefits greatly from the more experimental approaches, which in this case were just rare and short glimpses of obvious visual metaphors in an otherwise completely realistic, flat directorial style.

And to be honest, none of the characters except Nishioka were likable or at all fleshed-out. Seriously, fuck the script for ditching Nishioka midways. He was the character that kept the show together.
Dec 23, 2016 4:35 AM

Nov 2011
Ending well done, I dunno if I should increased my score or not.
Kinda reminded me of New Game! ending.
A lot of good show this year eh, but most that got popular/mainstream like Tales, Boku no Hero, Kimi no Nawa and Re:Zero still sucks.
ernstDec 23, 2016 4:45 AM
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Dec 23, 2016 5:36 AM

Sep 2014
moozooh said:
Neromon said:

Ha, interesting. In my opinion the material itself was fine—it's the direction that was too generic. If anime has taught us anything it's that "dull" subject matter benefits greatly from the more experimental approaches, which in this case were just rare and short glimpses of obvious visual metaphors in an otherwise completely realistic, flat directorial style.

And to be honest, none of the characters except Nishioka were likable or at all fleshed-out. Seriously, fuck the script for ditching Nishioka midways. He was the character that kept the show together.

I'm completely fine with the subject matter itself but the show just didn't have much compelling character writing or narrative and I don't see how any sort of directing personality could have changed that. I don't think the direction was phenomenal or anything, in fact I found it mostly just workmanlike, but I thought it suited the show and the passion was clearly there as well especially in the early parts.

Personally, I found all of the characters likable and entertaining to watch (edit: except Kaguya actually, she has almost no personality) , but yeah I agree that Nishioka is by far the best.
NeromonDec 23, 2016 5:41 AM
Dec 23, 2016 6:39 AM

Dec 2014
A Noitamina show remaining a consistent level of quality throughout is something worth praising, especially when it comes to this year. Overall a solid time. The passion these characters had for their project made me keep going, and I'm glad I did.
Dec 23, 2016 7:30 AM

Aug 2016
I honestly never expected that Matsumoto would pass away like this. I thought that they would be able to have The Great Passage published while being all together. I can understand that it could be like every time something or someone leaves, something or someone is born but it's still very sad this ending.

On the other hand, I was really glad to see that Nishioka and Remi got married and had kids together, I was really curious about their relationship when the anime suddenly had this big jump in time, but good thing that they continued together and happy.

When I first started to watch this anime I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It seemed a little boring but at the same time appealing. I'm glad I didn't give up on watching it cause it taught me a few things. Even if it's only animation I believe that there are some people like Majime and the others, people that are passionate about their jobs and that no matter what it takes they will do their best to have good results. It's a reallt inspiring anime really, too bad it's already over
Dec 23, 2016 7:37 AM
Mar 2012
Props to animating a topic that's fairly challenging, execution & sales wise. Some episodes were great, esp Majime & Nishioka banter, all Nishi, all cats, the side romances. Some later ones went ok/boring, mostly since Nishi vanished, romances forgotten, & text aren't translated & I can't see how it relates (could've been pun/references like Monogatari signs). I searched some words & could only find partial broken meanings since i duno jp. This might benefit/spice up by Shaft style and thorough subbing/TNs.
Animation's consistently good, love some gesture details. Nice music throughout with natural pacing.
Rip Matsumoto, I didn't quite like his mentality but was a good mentor & hardworker for the team. Good end with the letter monologue.

Can you now feel the depth of meaning when you shout "Akarin!!"?
Dec 23, 2016 7:47 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
That was a great finale.
I had a huge smile on my face when i saw Nishioka with his family.
RIP Matsumoto. ;-;

Solid 8/10. Definitly understandable that not a lot of people tried it but i really wish it had a little bit more popularity.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 23, 2016 8:41 AM

Apr 2015
This was a great show.

I was really sad even though I didn't really know Matsumoto.

I think this show really hit the balance between the dictionary work and the characters' lives.
Dec 23, 2016 9:10 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was one of the best ending episodes of this year.

Matsumoto dying right before the completion of The Great Passage, that's just unfair. Cancer can go to hell.

Nishioka and Miyoshi are married and have kids together, that was such a brilliant payoff. The subtle romance elements worked so, so well.

Unbelievable series that had amazing characters and a plot that made me surprisingly emotional (dictionary making).

9/10, best anime of the season and my 3rd favourite of the year.
Dec 23, 2016 10:07 AM

Mar 2013
I felt myself tearing up little when Majime started crying. Matsumoto sensei's death was poignant :(

The scene of Nishioka with his daughters was really sweet.

One characteristic trait that I always noticed about Majime was his posture while standing. That somehow reminded me of Kikuhiko from Rakugo...

The anime was great overall. I like how it retained the realistic element well in the show. The cast of character were charming as well. It was refreshing to see the unique concept the anime brought about the making of a dictionary.
A good SOL w/o any excessive drama one can enjoy.

8/10
Dec 23, 2016 10:12 AM

Dec 2013
Such an amazing show. I'm gonna miss it so much.
Dec 23, 2016 10:35 AM

Sep 2010
Meh. In the first half of the season I really enjoyed the show. But the rest... Full filler felt to me. Especially the time skip, which could not really be handled.

6/10 in the end. I may even give a 5.
Dec 23, 2016 11:59 AM

Oct 2015
The series overall was just OK.
I think they overdid it with the music at points and I really didn't like that Nishioka lost protagonism after the timeskip.

The lack of Tora this episode means that it passed away as well? D:
Dec 23, 2016 4:16 PM

May 2015
Man, it was really sad that sensei couldn't witness the completion of the project ;__;.... What a touching, but great finale to wrap this wonderful show up.

Probably one of my favorites this season if not my favorite. I just loved the atmosphere in this show and the sense of realism it portrayed. Wonderful characters as well. I'm really going to miss it. This show deserves a big 10/10 from me. What a highly underrated gem.

Dec 23, 2016 7:24 PM

Oct 2008
Clap clap clap!
Such a good show!
They finished "Daitokai"
Unfortunately Matsumoto-sensei wasn't able to see the actual finished product because he passed away.
Nishioka had 2 kids that also great.
5/5.
7/10.

Dec 23, 2016 10:35 PM

Nov 2012
What's more sad than Matsumoto-sensei not being able to see the finished product is the extremely low number of viewers who've seen this series.

I don't want this to remain a hidden gem forever. Hope someday lots and lots of people will watch this.

A brilliant series, and certainly AOTS for me. Also, one of the best series this year no doubt.
Dec 24, 2016 3:57 AM

Oct 2013
I guess the only regret was Majime didnt have a kid.

Interesting show and made me appreciate printed dictionary and the effort of the editing behind each one.

Great slice of life show this season.

9/10
Dec 24, 2016 5:26 AM

Jul 2015
nice calm anime and a really good last episode. boosted the rating to a 8/10. underrated overall :)
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Dec 24, 2016 8:17 AM

May 2016
This show has a lot of heart in it, and is very warm. I only wished Majime and Kaguya had kids before it ended. 9+
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Dec 24, 2016 12:44 PM

Dec 2008
Even though the death flag was raised high in episode 10, I still bawled big time over Matsumoto's death. I bawled even more when I saw Majime cry.

I am glad the masterpiece was finished, but I am really going to miss the warmth and sweet pace of this show.
Dec 24, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2013
shit man they killed the old guy at the final episode and here i was thinking he'll survive this oh well the flag was already set so there
Dec 24, 2016 6:28 PM

Feb 2015
heiqi1hu said:
I guess the only regret was Majime didnt have a kid.

Same, I felt that was sad too, cause how in love Majime was.
Dec 25, 2016 1:46 AM

Jan 2015
This show was great. They did the characters perfectly and made the subject really interesting. The feels were also real. Certainly the most underrated show in a while. 9/10
Dec 25, 2016 10:39 AM

Oct 2012
Sad to see Matsumoto go, we all knew but didn't want to admit it T^T
Majime's tears were so genuine to me and it made me feel so weak as I watched him cry. Kaguya comforting him was nice.
Nishioka and Remi have children now! A really cheerful family there, love their interactions.

I felt such a surge of emotion when I saw the Dictionary editorial room empty, with the only light being from the moon outside. It was so well presented to see the room that always had passionate people working there with lights on being left empty after the initial completion of the Great Passage.

Definitely underrated and an amazing anime showcasing people's passion for their craft. I definitely have a newfound appreciation for dictionaries and words.
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 25, 2016 11:58 AM

Nov 2011
Decent, felt it needed a 2nd cour to spread things out more, was rushed in a few places.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 25, 2016 5:38 PM

May 2015
It was a nice slice of life show set in the workplace. The finale was very fitting and actually made sense as an anime ending. It doesn't feel like we get a definite ending like this too often, so I really appreciated it. I liked what they did with the premise and it was very consistent in quality. Hopefully this does get more popular though, I never noticed how few people were actually watching this.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2016

105 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

130 by satanleo »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2016

46 by Atavistic »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2016

51 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

50 by UnknownGhost5 »»
Aug 8, 2023 4:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.