Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2015 3:36 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Damn, those were some powerful feelings in those narrative words in the end. Good manga overall and one that I find to be quite enjoyable from start to finish.

8/10.
Apr 20, 2015 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
This was a personal work from Akiko Higashimura and she weave competently between infusing her wide range of emotions into this manga.
Apr 20, 2015 10:15 PM

Mar 2013
SenseiQ_Q
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2015 2:43 AM

Sep 2011
Quite a moving work and very real and honest, enjoyed the laughter and the tears of this manga.
Apr 23, 2015 7:56 AM

Oct 2008
Haven't cried so much ever since I finished Oyasumi Punpun. And that's quite a lot.
If it has solution, don't bother; and if it hasn't, why bothering?

Do you like manga? http://gunjoteam.com
Apr 25, 2015 4:05 PM

Oct 2010
Last few chapters were really moving. I almost cried.
Jun 2, 2015 10:16 AM

Apr 2007
The way everything ended so uneventfully -- in fiction you'd expect some dramatic goodbye, but in real life we don't always have moments like that. Because this is based on real life, and real life is brutal that way. And because everything in this manga felt so real, the emotions it elicited from me were real too.

i'm not crying right now shut up ;_;

10/10 and probably gong into my favorites
Jun 13, 2015 1:47 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Nothing can feel quite as real as reality. This manga proves that more so than any other series I've ever read

Not gonna lie, I was all teary-eyed at the end of this. Just beautiful
Jul 15, 2015 12:08 AM

Aug 2013
Damn that ending hit hard it was so moving and then the photos at the end ; ;
Jul 15, 2015 4:23 PM

Jul 2011
Maybe it's because I already cried at chapter 33 during the drinking party, but chapter 34 is more conclusive for me. Not so much sentimental - the sky scene was almost cheesy, actually.

Wonderful series, with sweet characters and plenty of realism.

RIP Sensei. </3
Sep 22, 2015 1:53 AM
Sep 2014
I didn't cry. I DIDN'T CRY.

I binged the whole thing over two days (had midterms on both days. What am I, stupid?). I have to say, this lady has all the luck. She found herself a great teacher and a whole bunch of great friends. She's messed up really badly a bunch of times, but somehow managed to make it through anyway. And she knows a whole bunch of people who went on to become mangaka (including her little brother, according to wikipedia).

I wonder if Akihito Yoshitomi has read this manga and contacted her to talk about Hidaka-sensei? It would be really cool, honestly.
Nov 1, 2015 7:57 PM

Sep 2011
This was a nice read, I wonder when was the last time I almost cry while reading a manga. Those feelings on chapter 33 were so powerful.

RIP Sensei.
Nov 19, 2015 4:12 PM

Sep 2013
That was a really good read, got quite emotional at the end there.
Nov 28, 2015 10:57 AM
Jul 2014
RIP sensei.
The last few chapters got me. What I love about this manga is that it has this relatable touch and atmosphere that is soft but brutal. It really left an impression on me. I think I will go read her other works now.
Dec 5, 2015 11:43 AM

Aug 2011
What a great autobiographical manga. The narration was usually funny, easy to follow and from the end of volume four onward the story became really powerful and quite sad.
I am glad that author was able to find at least one photo of her sensei which she shared with the readers.
Dec 14, 2015 11:19 PM

Feb 2013
Wonderful and powerful reading experience. Realism was the best point about this manga. Amazing stuff. RIP sensei though :(
Dec 16, 2015 3:22 AM
Aug 2011
That was really really lovely.
Autobiographical manga- such a simple concept and you don't really need anymore than that to make a piece of touching work.
Now I understand why this is award-winning.
I kind of wonder how much was embellished a bit and how much was 100% accurate.

Losing her sensei was sad, but I actually felt the author's regret hanging above me as I read.
That was probably even more painful to me because regretting things in your life you did or didn't do feels absolutely horrible. I hope that writing this manga helped her heal some of those feelings.

I also liked learning about her connections to the manga world and the name dropping and how she drew U-oka-san in different artstyles ahaha.
I've been itching to finish Kuragehime (still waiting for a completion date) but now i'm going to be looking at stuff she mentioned like characters modeled after her boyfriend and such.
Dec 20, 2015 11:58 AM

Jul 2012
Simply amazing.

Tempted to bring the rating up to a 10. It was just so amazing and real.

I started reading this series in the middle of my exam season and it has really made me think about what I want to do in the future, with my life. Akiko shares so much of her insight and thoughts and I really enjoyed learning about her lifestyle and progress through her career.

From the start (or near the beginning), she already foreshadowed Sensei's death as a lot of the chapters ended up with rhetorical questions/statements ("Sensei, I wish I could have shown you this. I wonder what you thought about this...") so it was clear that she was going to lose him at one point. That being said, his death still fell hard and felt so damn sad.

"Just draw". Two simple words but the heaviness was immense. I'm also someone who's into the creative field rather than academic so reading a series about someone aiming to draw and become a mangaka made me connect so hard.

Anyway, I'll be checking out more of Higashimura's manga for sure. Probably going to scanlate two titles if I can get ahold of them. She's such a great author!

stand said:
but now i'm going to be looking at stuff she mentioned like characters modeled after her boyfriend and such.
In Kuragehime, Shuu looks like her boyfriend's face while Kuranosuke has the same hairstyle! xD All of her handsome characters (see this) kinda look like her boyfriend too~
Jan 21, 2016 5:32 AM

Jan 2013
There is something about the narrative that makes this manga a tangible piece of literature and without the usage of any usually overused tropes it creates an atmosphere unrivaled in the entire medium. According to the motto: "Real life writes the plot" Higashimura is capable of writing a powerful yet simple autobiography that serves as a wake up call to all aspiring authors out there: Don't waste your time. Just draw!
Feb 5, 2016 8:27 PM

Jan 2016
A very moving and inspiring story! It's clear sensei left a large impact on many people in his life, and his will and passion continues to live on in his students. Reading about his work ethic and pure passion, as well as Higashimura's, has also greatly inspired me as an artist. I'm going to work as an illustrator someday, and this manga has encouraged me to clock even more hours each day on art.

"Just draw!"
Feb 8, 2016 8:53 AM

Jun 2014
RIP Sensei ; _ ;

This manga was amazing, the feels, the emotions. This really was something else. The final chapters made me cry like a bitch, especially the final photo. The best thing about this was its realism, the characters really felt alive at times and seeing Akiko's journey to becoming a great mangaka was really inspiring.

10/10
:3
Feb 25, 2016 9:19 PM
Feb 2016
I can't even open my eyes now. Last chapter truly breaking my heart. I salute you Sensei. So hear my shouting voice.
May 24, 2016 10:08 PM

Sep 2015
"Just draw"

*breaks down crying*

Even till the end this man is amazing. Outstanding story. This entire manga was so heartfelt and sincere as well as an absolute pleasure to read the whole way through. Thank you for this.
Jul 9, 2016 10:19 PM

Jan 2013
To try to analyze kakukaku shikajika from a storytelling point of view or to even try to give a 'score' would require cynicism of the highest degree which I'm glad to say I'm incapable of. Frankly, it would be disrespectful to the author, the things she went through her life, the trials, tribulations, ups and downs, the people she met and of course, the enigmatic sensei who's without doubt, the heart of this manga. I guess I'll put it this way, kakukaku shikajika transcends manga/anime and directly touches you to the core, makes you think, contemplate, regret and gives you renewed hope again.
Emotions are emotions, often manipulated and calculated.
Not in kakukaku shikajika.

What else can one really ask from 5 volumes of a manga, eh.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 21, 2016 5:19 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Really good for something underrated. 9/10

Nov 14, 2016 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
That just felt like too real, as if the author is sitting in front of me, happily sipping a cup of tea and narrating the days of her embarassing, emotional days of her past. It's amazing when the distance between the reader and the author is so close, isn't it?

10/10, second manga I teared up while reading after koe no katachi.
Jul 21, 2017 4:30 AM

Oct 2015
Rest in peace, sensei. ;-;

Nice additional photos irl of the author. Although I didn't really get quite attached to any of the characters, I do think that it was nice, although sometimes I find the transition to past to present annoying.
Aug 14, 2017 3:58 AM

Aug 2016
I can't remember the last time I cried over a well written manga. This one's a masterpiece and it's already one of my favorites.
As an artist, I'm glad that I chose to read this manga. It made me want to draw and draw everyday (a thing that I haven't been doing for months now).

Man, the last photo ;----;
Rest in peace up there, sensei.
Aug 27, 2017 3:39 PM

Nov 2016
The simplicity and realness of this blew me away, this was an extremely powerful tale which moved me beyond tears, I could take a lot with me from this manga. Another aspect which absolutely amazed me was the honesty put in here,no matter how reprehensible Higashimura may have acted she wrote it down. This deserves absolute respect.

Overall this manga was a great feels trip, with top notch comedy and it even made me think a lot about life and how some people can have such a impact on others.

Masterpiece 10/10 and one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure to read.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 16, 2018 7:19 AM

Jan 2017
I've decided to read this manga after watching Bakuman and I'm really glad, even honored that I've finished this manga.

Nothing will go smoothly in reality. We are just conceited beings. We can't even see and appreciate the people around us. This manga really hit me hard. The feels, regrets, resentments, you can feel it very clearly it's painful. It even made me almost cried at some point.

Masterpiece. 10/10 for me. Definitely gonna read this again.
May 10, 2018 2:22 PM

May 2015
But when I was younger, why did I pretend I couldn't do it even though I could?
Or pretend I was tired even if I wasn't?
Or pretend I wasn't having fun
even though I was?

Now that I'm an adult,
I think about things like that, Sensei.

The following words are nothing but my humble opinion after reading this work. It's been a few days since I ended Kakukaku Shikajika and I wanted to write something about it.

It's just as simple as being able to face the path one has walked in. But that one simple thing is commonly harder than running away, that's why the ones able to look at themselves with acceptance are that estimable. The honesty this manga manages comes from the autor's experience, that's it: the one giving you those words isn't free of pain and regrets, but for this reason is able to give you a genuine advice.

The conviction of Sensei goes through the pages, not only influencing the ones in the story, also the reader. If we consider exclusively the story as a manga work, Hidaka-Sensei is a wondrous character and Hayashi is excellently constructed as well as relatable as a protagonist.

I really feel grateful for discovering such a gem in that MAL list. The story encompasses excellently timings and situations, giving the narrative a unique fluency greatly relatable to our thoughts. Plus the art is just brilliant.

For now, for me: 10/10.
birdddMay 10, 2018 2:39 PM
Sep 15, 2019 5:01 PM

May 2016
Damn I was gojng to rate this manga 8/10 but that last chapter was so beautiful, 10/10 for me!
People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English?

May 9, 2020 3:17 AM

Dec 2012
Noo..sensei.. im late to found this manga..if only i find it on my college time, i can learn more to make my time to do something more useful
Jun 16, 2020 9:48 AM

Apr 2017
Ima-chan's story of his last moments with sensei literally broke me and I cried until the end of Chap34.
I hope sensei was happy when he left :')
//cruellime Steam Signature - SteamId for cruellime, real name bakachi mochii
Sep 2, 2020 10:12 AM

Feb 2008
I cried my heart out.... Sensei...he was such an amzing person T__T

The only think I'm left with though, is that she was very selfish till the end. It's her own life so I can't judge her nor say she should have said something different in the manga, but I hoped that for at least, at his very last days she should have been with him more...or just tell him how important he was for her. He thought of her as his daugther....
But I guess that you realize how much things are important when you lose them....
Mar 14, 2021 5:12 PM
Sep 2020
I never thought hearing "just draw"would have me crying buckets but the impact this story had on me was too great. The fact that it was an autobiography helped me feel the writers emotions and the guilt she felt throughout, unlike other manga the words I was reading felt genuine and I wanna say I hope that sensei watches over you and his students

I have nothing else to say but 10/10
Nov 17, 2021 7:52 PM
Jul 2020
Draw draw draw till u die , till u are gone , u will still rise and shine , continue , everything...
Sacrifice everything....
Helping everyone....
And remember to be happy
Aug 14, 2022 3:35 AM

Aug 2013
Did anyone notice that she almost never mentioned about her younger brother Takuma Morishige throughout the whole manga? From beginning to end, you can find nothing about the interaction between these siblings which I find really odd to be honest. I'm not sure, they might not be on good terms in the present time but since they lived in the same house for almost 20 (17+3) years and they both aimed to be mangaka means that it is inevitable for them to be influenced and get affected by each other. There must have been rivalry, engagement, collaboration or affection between them, however none of these were portrayed in this autobiography. It feels so unnatural when she writes about 40 years of her life and acts like her brother doesn't exist at all.

Except this case, I really enjoyed reading it. It's a great motivation for those who desire to be an artist, painter or mangaka, it's a must-read manga.
Mar 7, 2023 8:18 PM
Jan 2023
i NEED make a review about this manga, really.
Mar 23, 2023 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely one of the better mangas I've read for the beginning of the year. Wasn't so sure since the earlier part of Kakukaku Shikajika felt a little repetitive. Sensei was way too violent and inserted himself in her life in unnecessary ways. I guess it was somewhat exaggerated to start the story off on a lighter note and gradually ease into the latter half. I'm glad I stuck with it because the last two volumes are my favorite. I hope Higashimura took a bow for this, the work is fantastic.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakukaku Shikajika Chapter 33 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2015

13 by bucciest »»
May 29, 2023 10:34 AM

Poll: » Kakukaku Shikajika Chapter 32 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2015

5 by removed-user »»
Mar 23, 2023 7:18 AM

Poll: » Kakukaku Shikajika Chapter 31 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2015

3 by removed-user »»
Mar 23, 2023 6:54 AM

Poll: » Kakukaku Shikajika Chapter 30 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2015

12 by removed-user »»
Mar 23, 2023 4:13 AM

Poll: » Kakukaku Shikajika Chapter 29 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2015

5 by removed-user »»
Mar 23, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.