Forum Settings
Forums
Initial D
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2015 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was an alright movie, definitely good production values with buildup in the first half and the race in the second half.

There was some risky moves as usual but the race was tense. The ending felt kinda underwhelming though.
Jan 15, 2015 11:01 AM

Dec 2013
Basically a remake of the TV series. It's never the same without the old BGM and seiyuu. Also can't help but notice those Mogi fan service.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy the movie and it brings back nostalgia.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jan 15, 2015 9:16 PM

Aug 2007
Good movie. The production values were really good. I wish the final stage or even the previous stages look like this. I'm disappointed they got new voices but I did enjoy the OST. It doesn't beat out the previous stuff but I still enjoyed it.

I wasn't expecting the movie to end with only the Keisuke battle I was expecting both of battles of the Takahashi's brothers and the other movies to cover the other stages but works for me. I hope they do all the main battles in the First Stage now. Well I hope I don't have to wait too long for the next one now cause more Initial D is never a bad thing.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 18, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2013
Even though I like this new OST with rock songs, I miss eurobeat. I think Initial D needs 90s music...
Jan 19, 2015 6:31 AM

Dec 2008
Stark700 said:
It was an alright movie, definitely good production values with buildup in the first half and the race in the second half.

There was some risky moves as usual but the race was tense. The ending felt kinda underwhelming though.

Wow are you kidding me? The animation may be good compared to the first series which are a lot older, but they literally cut all the goodies and details of the battles and that is literally WHY WE WATCH AND LOVE IT FOR!

All I can hope for is that the first few movies are just to fill you up on the events and that the actual final battle will be produced with the same or better care to details as the series do.

Not to mention the pacing its so slow for a 3 parts movie or so, where will they get with only that if they couldn't even get to the first few battles? Or are we going to get even more rushed 2nd and 3rd movies to get to the final battle skip all the races details and goodies it has to show.
Jan 19, 2015 4:05 PM

Jul 2011
namedrisk said:
Stark700 said:

Wow are you kidding me? The animation may be good compared to the first series which are a lot older, but they literally cut all the goodies and details of the battles and that is literally WHY WE WATCH AND LOVE IT FOR!

This! Where's the usual intensity? The OST was decent, but lacking compared to Eurobeat. The seiyuu were ok.

Natsuki was a waste of screen time.

Only thing I really noticed was increase in production value. Such as when Takumi was switching gears, etc. But like you said, because it's a movie, it cut out all the best parts and downplayed it. >__<
Jan 29, 2015 11:46 AM
Jun 2013
y, as others said, the lack of Eurobeat was VERY noticable and imo the way they portrayed a lot of driving scenes was bad. bad angles that made it hard to understand what just happened or just not showcase the situation accurately. It's glaring obvious with the famous overtake at the start and the gutter run overtake aswell. While high in production, showered by mediocre execution and choreography.

It's not bad by any means, but just not even close to what Initial D is or what a lot of us liked and enjoyed in the original series.
7/10
Jan 30, 2015 1:58 AM
Aug 2014
5/10 sorry guys
Initial D = Eurobeat
Eurobeat = Initial D
no eurobeat intensifies, seiyuu is changed.
i just played my mp3 eurobeat like running in the 90's, heartbeat, no one sleep in tokyo during the movie LOL
Feb 20, 2015 3:48 PM
Jul 2012
This was a solid movie, as far as recaps go. You have to take into account how much of the original story was covered in an hour of animation. AN HOUR, peoples! Character was set up, the key players were introduced, and the first couple episodes were well represented.

One has to remember the context of the Initial D world; we are not talking about a series filled with filler. One Piece is the best example of cinematic recaps: condense a ~20 episode arc into a 2 hour film. The variables here are the length of the films and levels of filler in these respective series. Initial D was always story that directly developed characters, while OP would stretch scenes with intense staring and crying. (At least there was screaming during the staring in DBZ...)

That being said, now that the major players have been thoroughly introduced, depending on how deeply they are able to tell the story, I could see the possibility of two races in Movie 2: the duct-tape Civic match and the R-32. Lets hope they are approved of longer run-times for the second and third films; I would love to see the Sil-80 race again, before the White Comet finale.
Aug 31, 2015 6:52 AM

Oct 2013
I watched this right after marathoning every piece of anime in Initial D, except that recap of the first 3 stages. Bad timing maybe.

As an anime-only Initial D fan I don't like the vertical black lines flashing on the cars all the time; while stylistically more faithful to the manga it makes them look like shimmering holograms when in motion. I also don't like the gray grass that comes up behind the cars when they drift. Is that a staple of the manga as well?

They goofed on a few of the details, like Keisuke's FD's tailights:

And speaking of comparisons to First Stage, I watched a version with the Eurobeat edited back in. I was surprised and disappointed to find out they were remaking Initial D with no Eurobeat. For those who say Eurobeat is old news, isn't the very concept of Initial D also old news now? The fantasy of an old '80s shitbox beating slightly less old '90s sports cars in drift races through the mountains is a fad that has long passed. But I still like the cars, and I still damn well like the Eurobeat. In the credits I saw "CLUTCHO"; I remember them for making a very weak song and possibly the worst song in the anime series up to this point, the first Fifth Stage ED "Flyleaf". Awful auto-tuned Japanese and Engrish combined with a generic droning guitar and rock sound. If that was an accurate representation the whole of this movie's soundtrack, then nothing of value was lost editing the old Eurobeat over it.

Is it just me (I downloaded that video and had SVP interpolate it to 60 fps, but obviously I rewatched some scenes without the 60 fps interpolation) or are the cars animated with a much worse frame rate than in all the Initial D anime before it? For an anime about car racing, animating the cars with a poor frame rate is tantamount to suicide. With no Eurobeat and poor animation, what does this have to offer over the manga?

Voice acting is also a surprising disappointment. Ryosuke is a complete miss and sounds more like the old Tomokazu Seki Keisuke than he does the old Takehito Koyasu Ryosuke, both of whom performed their roles admirably. He also sounds more like what Keisuke should sound like than Keisuke's new seiyuu! Daisuke Ono and Yuuichi Nakamura aren't exactly talentless no-names, but even they pale in comparison to Koyasu and Seki, two of the most prolific seiyuu in all of anime. They are also probably still active and available to reprise their roles. This is either change for the sake of change or a cynical money-saving maneuver.

Other redub performances are mostly worse, but not so much worse that I feel the need to call them out. Seeing Mogi being taken on by Maaya Uchida did ring warning bells in my head, but only because I mixed her up with Aya Uchida, who I know for the infamous squeakybird Kotori from Love Live.

I'm a little unsettled by Takumi's change in character. I noticed too many inner monologues of him thinking of Mogi's sexiness or whatever. Takumi in the beginning's supposed to be a spacey, indifferent guy to the point where even his thoughts about Mogi were muted and subtle. I remember he bragged to Itsuki once that he was the strong silent type, which I think is ridiculous because he was absolutely not so full of himself as to do something like that.

At least the character models and animations are the strongest I've ever seen in Initial D. Facial features are in the right places and they don't move off-model, talking is better animated with fewer lines with just mouth flapping and more with full lower jaw movements. I also noticed the gear shifting animations are much more detailed.

Yes, I realized somewhere along the way I had written a review as much as I had written an ordinary forum post :P 6/10 it was ok

Other little things which I won't count as negatives:

I can't remember ever seeing the V.spec II sticker being rendered on Nakazoto's car in the previous anime.

I saw a second-generation BMW X5 in a background shot! I guess we're not in 1996 like the original series, but 2006+.

にこにこにー~ おまえわわたしの嫁にする! 。。。なのは。。。エッチのこと。。。嫌いです!甘えな。。。
Aug 31, 2015 1:45 PM
Sep 2014
yo, anybody knows if u can watch this without having watched the original series? (not that i won't watch it ,but i have the movie and it's tempting)
Dec 16, 2015 8:23 PM

Aug 2013
Decent movie nowhere near as in depth as the first stage but that's to be expected, no Eurobeat is a bummer and the different Seiyu kinda threw me off.
Aug 29, 2016 3:50 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid revisited "recap" movie if you ask me, at first I was totally amazed that they didn't add any Eurobeat at all to the anime where pretty much the genre got popular from!

It's great to see then that the community made a Eurobeat Edition to spice thing up and well even though the timing and underlaying songs are still present, the way they did it was still a lot more epic than watching the original without Eurobeat!

I must say waiting for all three movies to finish being subbed is totally going to be worth it, I'm so going to love the next and third movie as they did capture the important points quite properly in this movie, and of course the improved graphics are pretty awesome!

All in all Initial D rocks!
Oct 1, 2016 2:37 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
dats what I wrote to my entry comment

"Well, obviously it's movie format so it felt rushed, but I'll imagine it as recap movie (tho still -1 by me for that)

Music - Eurobeat is still the best for Initial D, legends music I listened on YouTube a bit and it was quite okay actually, but in the actual movie.. I barely felt that there was any music at all. Very weak presence and was on quite low volume.

Modern art and better animated races were only "PROs" of this re-make.

Aside that
Takumis Girlfriend pantyshot was subtle but nice.
Another thing regarding Takumis girlfriend that she has quite "ero" aura to her.. mature in a way that she knows her way around men (I bet she has quite some experience)"
Oct 16, 2016 7:02 PM

Feb 2008
It was a good remake of the first arc. First Stage still has better music, iconic VAs and more detailed battles, but the movie did an alright job being its own thing. I did kind of cheat and watch the Eurobeat Edition edit, where someone placed appropriate Eurobeat songs from the First Stage over the jrock music. So I don't even know what the original music for this movie sounds because I was too busy listening to good music.

Interesting thing is that they completely cut Mogi's job, but they didn't remove it, it was just a subtle hint only people who watched First Stage could pick up. Mogi does kind of look like she ate up all the budget though, it felt like her animation was the most fluid in the movie, aside from a long distance shot at the beach, she always looked really detailed (like her uniform moving while running showing us her back lol).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 2, 2016 3:27 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
is a interesting film, but the series is ten, not, one hundred better, although the quality of imagen and drawing is superior...7/10.
Nov 24, 2016 7:01 PM
Jun 2016
Excellent art, good music... but just doesn't have the... replay value that the old Initial D had. I mean, the music is a good refresher for a modern Initial D, but Eurobeat just has those tempos that makes you want to watch a race more.
May 24, 2017 8:02 PM

Mar 2012
I watched the "Eurobeat Edition" version so I found it to be a good movie but you could tell that it was basically just playing the eurobeat over the movie's ost. Still, props to the person that took the time to edit it in because for some bizarre reason the people who made the movie decided to leave out the eurobeat. Apparently taking out the next best thing besides the racing itself sounded like a good idea to them.

Other than that, the visual upgrade was a major plus and I didn't have a hard time getting used to the new voice actors. People are complaining that the races weren't as intense but I'm assuming that had to do with the movie's OST. Watching it with eurobeat was still quite intense, which again, pisses me off that they didn't stick with eurobeat for the soundtrack. Granted, I wouldn't be able to remember how intense they were in the tv series unless I rewatched it so maybe they're right.

All and all, it's still an enjoyable movie and a good way to get people into the series.
Jun 10, 2017 5:31 AM
Oct 2011
Maybe it's cause it's been awhile since I read the manga and cause I haven't seen the TV show yet but I really enjoyed the movie.
Nov 8, 2017 1:06 PM
Jan 2017
Decent summary but doesn't hold a candle to the original. I didn't care much for the new dub voice actors luckily most of them were the original. Love that 1080p and 5.1 though! Also Natsuki in pink <3 I gave it 7/10 because it's still good.
Dec 7, 2017 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
It needed the eurobeat
Mar 15, 2018 3:48 PM

Jan 2013
My god the hype was too much when Takumi arrived for the race.

The race animations were pure awesome but I feel like some things were rushed. But I liked this either way, it was a good movie
Sep 18, 2018 4:06 PM

Sep 2011
I went in expecting nothing, but I was graced with a pleasant surprise, this movie was really good. The animation was gorgeous, it has the best character design Initial D ever had, really, Ryousuke, Keisuke, and even Takumi are looking really hot, Mogi was really cute too! And on top of that, no excessive side commentaries during the race, no wasted time, and it was interesting from the beginning to the end. This is way better than the anime already, but I wonder how much this trilogy is going to cover, maybe just the First Stage? Anyways, I liked it, and now I'm excited for the rest, even though Iketani, and Kenji are still annoying, sore losers.

Oh, and the new voices aren't bad at all, but they still shocked me since it's so uncommon for an anime to change its seiyuus, especially since it had the original ones up to the Final Stage which was pretty close to the movies, but well, I'm not going to complain, for the first time Initial D didn't feel like a waste of time to me.
Jun 13, 2019 5:18 PM

Feb 2012
First saw this at MCM London Comic Con. I had seen some of the memes before, and saw part of the live action movie with my uncle but this was the first part of the franchise I paid attention to and prompted me to enter the franchise properly by watching First stage (nearly done with fourth stage as I'm writing this). My favourite scene is Takumi turning up and people behaving surprised.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 25, 2020 2:33 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a good movie, I’ll watch the other two too. That Mogi seems a bad person, by the way.
Aug 13, 2020 1:01 PM

Feb 2008
Initial D is not quite the same without eurobeat.

Regardless, it is a thrilling retelling of the original series, at least the first episodes of the First Stage. The production quality is outstanding, the visuals are to die for.

On a sidenote, they sure spent a lot of effort on Mogi. That girl is a bombshell, much more alluring than her initial version. A sign of things to come.
Nov 12, 2022 6:36 PM

Jun 2020
Not the Initial D that is familiar and definitely changed the whole vibe, Coming from the visuals is up to modern standards

Not giving enough time is really the key point that some content like when Bunta said Takumi was the one driving for years already and the boss knowing how Takumi is naturally a driving genius removes those subtle details, Also Mogi as Uchida Maaya is weird in a way since she's a normal schoolgirl

All in all just a refreshing new look for Inital D without the crucial part of which non other than eurobeat that's what makes it complete and without it it's an 86 without Takumi.
Jan 27, 2023 11:16 PM

Apr 2022
it was a decent movie but it's just not the same without eurobeat and the old VAs.

if i was rating based purely off animation, this would be a 9 or 10 bc goddamn that animation was fire. 
also mogi's one piece swimsuit changed into a 2 piece bikini, for that i can say HELL YEAH.

overall, still doesn't hold a candle to the original but it's solid as a stand-alone, 7/10.

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this movie trilogy or the series

Hasindu_ - Mar 21, 2022

8 by a0o-kun »»
Mar 27, 2022 2:00 AM

» Which Episode do this remake resume ?

Yukito-Atari - Jul 16, 2016

1 by Trickster5_ »»
Sep 29, 2020 6:40 AM

» Eurobeat edition!

SamJN - Sep 6, 2015

1 by Rrecool »»
Feb 22, 2016 7:37 PM

» The BD/DVD will come out on 26 December.

rederoin - Oct 10, 2014

1 by MyNameJepp »»
Dec 31, 2014 2:54 AM

» Preview (update: 8/6)

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2013

13 by Mirorin »»
Aug 11, 2014 11:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.