Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2011 8:18 PM

Dec 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Even though it's only 45min long, has a thin storyline, had a.... "strange" ending, and the coloring was sort of weird, I still loved the hell out of it.

This OVA is very memorable since it takes place in my home state (and even goes through my home town (L.A.)) and the music was just awesome. Although the ending was lame, it still made the OVA more memorable.

I would wish for a sequel, but I know it will never happen.
Jul 31, 2012 7:45 AM

Oct 2009
Mehh.
Sep 29, 2013 11:02 AM
Nov 2011
Although the chase scene toward the end was quite merry, the rest of the OVA was kind of meh. The protagonist looked an awful lot like Yang Wenli.
Feb 9, 2014 11:29 AM

Feb 2013
Would have been nice to know more about the object and what it was or did other than let you see Death Valley. It would have also been nice if the dude didn't turn the girl down for sex right away. The music and the chase scene make it worth the watch.
May 2, 2014 1:35 AM

Mar 2010
so many brands...
Dec 7, 2014 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
Liked how the ova tried to filter through and make something with a lot of western vibes, of the 80's of course. Enjoyed it a lot and while the story is finished, I would definitely watch a sequel (which will definitely never happen). I want more California stuff though. They even got my hometown in this :D

Comandante said:
The protagonist looked an awful lot like Yang Wenli.

I saw it too.
Feb 23, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2013
What kind of name is Noera for a guy?

Studio Unicorn could have picked any other name for the protagonist and it would have been more common.
Dec 2, 2015 3:03 PM

Nov 2013
Funny, that she mentioned Close Encounters of the Third Kind, because this story was just as pointless. But I like it for the music, the setting and the 80's vibe.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 6, 2015 5:33 AM
Oct 2010
It was like trip to 80s and strange shading.
Dec 4, 2016 1:43 AM

Mar 2016
Not much happen. . .
Just a guy meet a girl find a strange ball and taking adventure. It still a fun ride though with some action, enjoyable background music and interesting artstyle.
It has a decent character design I would say which looks mature. The shading in object doesn't really matched though.

Overall it was just an average show

5/10

Comandante said:

I just finished LotGH and started this show. . . And this exactly is what I thought. . .
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Dec 8, 2016 2:50 AM

Jul 2014
I didn't like the plot and the sci-fi elements, but the art style, music and overall vibe were great! And the execution was ok... the pace was perfectly fine, so I don't get why this ova has such a low rating.

Piegoose said:

Comandante said:

I saw it too.

The voice was similar too, if I remember correctly. The presence of Obestain's seiyuu in the ova had an influence, probably.
Dec 8, 2016 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
Aria-da-Capo said:
Piegoose said:

I saw it too.

The voice was similar too, if I remember correctly. The presence of Obestain's seiyuu in the ova had an influence, probably.

I remember reading in some article that some person involved in Galactic Heroe's art was a part of this ova, don't recall any more than that though. I think the article was a part of some blog series of little-known anime, forgot the title of the series
Sep 13, 2017 8:33 PM

Jul 2017
Wow very cool designs, beautiful animation, excellent pacing, and a cool road movie story make this one of my favorites. The music and settings were so good! I don't understand the low rating on this, though I assume it is because it is relatively unknown and just a one-off so to speak. The ending was a little weak.
Jan 22, 2018 4:12 AM

Sep 2013
Really fun show. The 80s vibe was awesome and I enjoyed the USA setting. The ending was weak. I mean all the ball did was

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 21, 2018 6:26 PM

Aug 2012
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
so many brands...

ikr... Did anybody else get a laugh at seeing all the brands, or just me?
Sep 4, 2018 7:39 AM

Dec 2016
The fuck...? The main character looks like the blonde Yang Wenli and that other military dude looks slightly like Oberstein and has the same voice actor lol.
Oct 7, 2018 7:43 PM

Jun 2014
This was quite the adventure! It was like being on an action-packed roller coaster ride, which was fun while it lasted.

I'm still not sure of what the alien "Space Body" really was, but it saved them in the end. I loved the music and the character designs, and all the Americana that was shown.

Dec 22, 2018 3:51 PM

Sep 2018
I really enjoyed this. The art style reminded me of 1980s fashion and promotional artwork that you would see certain places, and it was rather unique for an anime. Also I already knew I'd love the music as I had listened to the soundtrack EP for this OVA ages ago, not really knowing what it was. The story was thin but oddly interesting. Who knew the guys that gave us the infamously bad and meandering Bavi Stock had something like this in them.
Jan 14, 2019 2:29 PM

Jul 2016
Well that was.. interesting. Really thin story line and the ball just gave us a.. rainbow. Pretty bad, but hot damn, the music is fantastic and the 80s vibe is spot on.
Apr 13, 2019 8:53 PM

Aug 2015
Really liked this. Two thumbs up. It's not a classic in terms of writing, but it was fun to watch and I enjoyed the classic cars and vehicle chases.
The Blues Brothers style car chases, the anime's tone and explicit references (Robert Ludlum (the Bourne trilogy guy) and Steven Spielberg) signal a desire to homage American media though it doesn't quite get to the point of being a neatly wrapped up piece of film.
Jun 9, 2019 3:14 PM

Nov 2016
Enjoyable for the style and the cheesy 80's feeling, the story on the other hand was pretty lackluster.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 6, 2020 11:04 PM

Dec 2012
Enjoyable OVA. The story was honestly not that great but the style and genuine exuberance on display made up for it. Not sure why its score on here is so low, I wouldn't expect it to be over a 7.0 but I think it was better than a lot of OVAs that average in the 6.5 range.
Jul 9, 2020 6:41 PM
May 2020
that was one well trained cat
Aug 25, 2020 5:40 PM

Aug 2016
Well, this was so pointless and kind of boring for 45 minutes. A shame because characters look like trippy colorful versions of LoGH and the music is pure soul.
:v
Nov 19, 2020 7:51 AM

Nov 2013
It gaves me GTA vibes (especially vice city). It has style with great music and great voice acting but unfortunately the story is.... Whatever.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 14, 2021 7:46 PM

Jan 2021
I really liked the visual style, I'm not sure how to place it, kind of a 1950s-60s look but with 80s on top. Nice characters and cool premise. I can see why people say the end is weak, but I guess it's one of those "it's about the journey, not the destination" type of things. But would we be saying that if the ending was awesome? Probably not, so it kind of is making an excuse for the lackluster ending but on the other hand they got some piece of alien technology they didn't understand and it ended up doing something they (and we) don't understand, so even though we don't have any hard answers the ending still makes sense in context. The main page says a sequel was planned so I can see them wanting to leave it on a bit of a cliffhanger too. A shame there was no sequel since this was really unique.

One thing I didn't get, the MC's air force friend he met in the bar, that was the guy from the start in the truck, and later shooting at them in the helicopter? I was expecting some payoff to them knowing each other, but there was none. Their past friendship could have been completely erased and nothing would've changed. I thought that was odd they included the scene of them reminiscing since it didn't lead to anything later. Not sure if that is weak writing, or a set up for something in the never-to-be sequel.
Jul 24, 2021 2:42 AM

Feb 2020
animation and character designs are bad. story was kind of enjoyable, but it is clearly incomplete (so what is the ball even supposed to be?). as usual ost was good (literally most old anime has good ost). overall if it was complete than maybe it would be worth the watch
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 7, 2021 3:33 PM

Aug 2017
Nice style that the crew failed to bring to its full potential in animation. I am disappointed (a bit).

Gotta respect my man for turning down the invitation to bed like that lol.
BlokeTokes said:
Aria-da-Capo said:

I remember reading in some article that some person involved in Galactic Heroe's art was a part of this ova, don't recall any more than that though. I think the article was a part of some blog series of little-known anime, forgot the title of the series

Matsuri Okuda was the character designer on both titles.
Aug 8, 2021 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
Wtf kind of ending was that...? All that, for an alien ball that just unleashes a small rainbow and... dies? Horrible ending. I wonder wtf the symbolism is even meant to be, if anything.
Well, I came for Chocolate Lips music. Not disappointed on that front. Also, I like the fluffy cat, he saved their asses many times in this film.
Perhaps a nitpick but: the amount of bullets they were able to "dodge" was pretty impressive. All of the villains here had horrible, horrible aim.

Adampk said:
animation and character designs are bad.

There was nothing bad about the character designs and the animators did a damn good job animating the car chases (the majority of the film). Dunno what you're talking about.
Aug 9, 2021 12:00 AM

Feb 2020
HeroicIdealism said:

There was nothing bad about the character designs and the animators did a damn good job animating the car chases (the majority of the film). Dunno what you're talking about.

i dont like such animation where faces look like vitiligo, even charater design doesnot look good to me. just compare it with circuit angel from same studio released 1 year later.... huge improvement.

if it looks good to u then good for u. for me its clearly not

AdampkAug 9, 2021 12:17 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 27, 2021 3:49 AM

Jun 2020
A lovely, well paced OVA spoiled by Japan's utterly bizarre inability to write an ending. It really needed that planned sequel, but I'll tell you this: I was never bored.

My theory is that there was an ethereal mind kind of alien in that ball and taking the ball to death valley meant he could get beamed up by one of his alien friends who would otherwise not have been able to find him.

Shrimp_Tail said:
I really liked the visual style, I'm not sure how to place it, kind of a 1950s-60s look but with 80s on top. Nice characters and cool premise. I can see why people say the end is weak, but I guess it's one of those "it's about the journey, not the destination" type of things. But would we be saying that if the ending was awesome? Probably not, so it kind of is making an excuse for the lackluster ending but on the other hand they got some piece of alien technology they didn't understand and it ended up doing something they (and we) don't understand, so even though we don't have any hard answers the ending still makes sense in context. The main page says a sequel was planned so I can see them wanting to leave it on a bit of a cliffhanger too. A shame there was no sequel since this was really unique.

One thing I didn't get, the MC's air force friend he met in the bar, that was the guy from the start in the truck, and later shooting at them in the helicopter? I was expecting some payoff to them knowing each other, but there was none. Their past friendship could have been completely erased and nothing would've changed. I thought that was odd they included the scene of them reminiscing since it didn't lead to anything later. Not sure if that is weak writing, or a set up for something in the never-to-be sequel.

+1 on most of that, if this was a surreal art house film the ending would actually be kind of alright, but as it stands it was a bit of a cop out. The rainbow wasn't even that impressive. The art style was gorgeous, and you can really tell the creators loved America. Every frame could be an "aesthetic" wallpaper.
I think "American Dream" sums it up quite well, it's like an animated city pop album cover.
PureStone said:
Enjoyable OVA. The story was honestly not that great but the style and genuine exuberance on display made up for it. Not sure why the score on here is so low, I wouldn't expect it to be over a 7.0 but I think it's a lot better than most OVAs that average in the 6.5 range .

I think it's just the fact that this takes the 80s OVA style of detail over smoothness, atmosphere over plot to an extreme; for most of its existence on this site that style and the city pop soundtrack was considered extremely kitsch and a drawback rather than an advantage.

Its only in the past few years that 80s stuff started being genuinely appreciated and people under the age of 40 started unironically listening to Steve Winwood and 80s Camaros and Corvettes became genuinely cool again.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Dec 3, 2021 11:55 AM

Apr 2019
It's basically 40 minutes with a chase that goes nowhere.
Jan 7, 2022 5:30 AM

Oct 2020
There is supposed to be more episode to this im guessing but it got cancelled probably,welp it as alright.Solid chase scene and action,i like the art, love the music.

May 23, 2022 10:26 AM

Feb 2017
the plot armor was incredible. this ova walked so modern day shounen could run

lol @ marsha risking both their lives for her magic bowling ball. didn't get any answers in the end anyways and now her magic bowling ball is just a broken crystal ball

placeholder text
Jul 2, 2022 3:16 AM

Jan 2018
nice music. shading made her look like a cyborg or action figure though.
Jul 15, 2022 7:40 PM

Oct 2015
What the he'll did I just watched🤔

Is the ball suppose to represent an American dream or something?

Either way, it sucked big time. This was straight up dog shit OVA, Characters made out of puke and a trashy animation. Lord, this was so boring, I'm wondering how it even passed the 5 rating. I believe people are too nice here, this horse dump doesn't even deserve a 3 as a token. Marsha looked like a weird ass doll, while Noera looked a pretentious cool stud. Even the music smells like diarrhea, TF? This was just propaganda to fuck up my mind with fart premise.
lihle808Jul 15, 2022 7:46 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 15, 2022 10:49 PM

Aug 2020
kind of pointless journey but a pretty fun ride

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 18, 2022 9:04 AM

Mar 2016
lihle808 said:
What the he'll did I just watched🤔

Is the ball suppose to represent an American dream or something?

Either way, it sucked big time. This was straight up dog shit OVA, Characters made out of puke and a trashy animation. Lord, this was so boring, I'm wondering how it even passed the 5 rating. I believe people are too nice here, this horse dump doesn't even deserve a 3 as a token. Marsha looked like a weird ass doll, while Noera looked a pretentious cool stud. Even the music smells like diarrhea, TF? This was just propaganda to fuck up my mind with fart premise.

Doesn’t help that the term “lolicon” was horrifically misused here by Noera when Marsha jokingly asked if he wants to sleep with her. Cause Japan has a loanword for “pedophilic”, and said term cannot be deemed one and the same with “lolicon”. You’d have to be using one or two brain cells to think and insist otherwise.
Then again, it’s in America. Any stereotype will be misused there.

Just for this horrific portrayal alone this deserves a 1/10, not even taking the dogshit art and writing into account yet.
Aug 7, 2022 4:58 AM
Mar 2021
This is one of the most 80s things I have seen, all while having the structure of a Hollywood movie.

Fun watch, and I actually didn't hate the ending.

The possibly dangerous alien technology being sought after by the main powers of the cold war being nothing more than a bauble? Sure, why not?
Aug 31, 2022 11:00 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
While I wanted to watch other things, my lazy ass watched this for the Summer challenge which is due at today o' clock. I was so drawn into this though, but mostly because of some weird Californian pride which made me just kinda eyeball every location with intense scrutiny so I could say, "That ain't Orange County" or "That ain't the area near Edwards Air Force Base". But surprisingly, things were pretty accurate-- the feel of the locations at the very least. I mean, this is the 80's and I wasn't alive bak then, but not much has changed from what we're seeing. I mean it's not like one webtoon I read that showed San Clemente with tall buildings as if it were Los Angeles or something. This actually reminded me a lot of Cipher. It's like they took a lot of time to get some of the feels for certain areas but also added their own artistic touches. I mean, I can see they actually did a little research in that aspect, so it's kinda fun to watch. The plot is kinda blah, but it's kinda more like the vehicle that takes you through the boat ride at the amusement park. It's there. It moves. It's fine, not amazing, but I don't know if it's supposed to be. I don't think anyone makes a boat ride and says, "This will be the best ride ever!" Like, nah, just look at the visuals, animatronics and such. Enjoy your time.

Anyway, it was a fun to watch. I liked the style. Too bad they couldn't finish the story-- oh yes. One thing is that I do like how the story ended even if it wasn't the intended end. Something about seeing a pursuit of the "American Dream" lead to absolutely nothing feeds the small, cynical part of my cold heart. I'm 100% here for it. :^U

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 5, 2023 3:24 PM

Dec 2018
mshea1213 said:
Well that was.. interesting. Really thin story line and the ball just gave us a.. rainbow. Pretty bad, but hot damn, the music is fantastic and the 80s vibe is spot on.

Pretty much my thoughts… also great art.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.