Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 19, 2018 2:34 PM
Mar 2018
DirectorK said:

In other words, the best thing they can do for Ayano now is to let her be. Let her pursue her quest for revenge and she'll eventually fall on her own sword.

more likely she'll end up in aokigahara
Sep 19, 2018 2:48 PM

Jul 2017
imSOunique said:
Short_Circut said:
SHE LEFT HER YOUNG DAUGHTER JUST SO SHE COULD GET BETTER AT BADMINTON hahahahahaha kill me now

I like it that they didn’t try to come up with an acceptable reason and fail (since I don’t think there is one), rather give an obviously bad answer, that normal people wouldn’t accept (neighter do I), but from Uchika’s perspective it kinda makes sense, because:
DirectorK said:
The thing you need to understand about Uchika is that she's a badminton fanatic. To her, badminton comes first and everything else is second. And that includes Ayano and Connie. If you look back at their previous conversations through flashbacks in previous episodes, she always talking about badminton and not about them. She loves badminton so much she's oblivious to everything around her.

In most other animes it is usually something like: OH, IT WAS JUST A BIIIIG MISUNDERSTANDING, and then a grand tear jerking reunion.
Here there is no misunderstanding: Uchika thinks she’s right (from her own twisted perspective), and Ayano (and we) are rightfully like: wHath the hEll.

Except...she was talking about them though (at least about Ayano). When she first decided to take Connie in she was talking all about Ayano and even when she came back she tried ample amounts of time to converse with her, so it's not like she completely exiled her from life. I'm pretty sure they didn't attempt to come up with an acceptable reason, cause there...really isn't any, to begin with. If there were problems like abuse or such then you can pass them in the realms of possibility but there's nothing absurdly wrong with the family afawk. But we all know this talk with Elena is going to either a.) give that bs tear-jerking redemption you mentioned or we're just gonna get another random excuse
Sep 19, 2018 2:56 PM

May 2016
Short_Circut said:
Except...she was talking about them though (at least about Ayano). When she first decided to take Connie in she was talking all about Ayano and even when she came back she tried ample amounts of time to converse with her, so it's not like she completely exiled her from life. I'm pretty sure they didn't attempt to come up with an acceptable reason, cause there...really isn't any, to begin with. If there were problems like abuse or such then you can pass them in the realms of possibility but there's nothing absurdly wrong with the family afawk. But we all know this talk with Elena is going to either a.) give that bs tear-jerking redemption you mentioned or we're just gonna get another random excuse

There's actually a third possibility: Tragedy followed by redemption.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Sep 19, 2018 3:03 PM
May 2017
Short_Circut said:
But we all know this talk with Elena is going to either a.) give that bs tear-jerking redemption you mentioned or we're just gonna get another random excuse

Yeah, I don't really know what to expect from that either.
But as I wrote above, I stopped trying to figure out what will happen next, it never worked :D
imSOuniqueSep 19, 2018 3:18 PM
Sep 19, 2018 3:47 PM

Nov 2011
BatWeeb said:
SoraSenpai said:

She wasn't brought onto this team to play Doubles though.

This girl actually has the most pressure on her more then anyone else.

That still doesn't excuse her shitty attitude towards everyone else. For an anime that gets praised for its "realism" with the characters they fail to deliver actual realism. In a real world scenario she would've already got bitch slapped by someone or even thrown out of the club.

I understand Ayano's situation, she had a shitty life because of her shitty mother and no one was there to help her, but taking it out on others is never justified and in a truely realistic scenario it would only come to bite her in the ass.

This is true. Her being thrown out of the club. For where we are at now though I feel like the writing is partially to blame as well. The author loaded up Ayano with a lot of pressure, being brough back into badminton, the coach telling her she had OLYMPIC potential and then everything with her mother. The middle episodes kind of put Ayano's story on the back burner to focus on the minor characters for no reason. A downfall of this anime unfortunately.

I will agree that her attitude is over the top. I enjoy it though. It's just different from what you usually get from other Sports MC's
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 20, 2018 11:50 AM

Feb 2017
If I don't get a decent explanation as to why MC's mom acts the way she does, I'm going to be pissed
Sep 20, 2018 2:35 PM

Jan 2009
two more episode to go :D, getting really hyped, hope Nagisa wins >.<

Nyaa~~~~
Nyaa~~~~
Nyaa~~~~

Sep 20, 2018 3:10 PM

Oct 2010
imSOunique said:
Nobody asked you to sympathize with Kaoruko, Connie, Uchika or anybody.

When a character cries while on-the-nose conventional sad music plays, as happened with both Kaoruko and Connie, that explicitly betrays an expectation on the part of the creators that the audience will sympathize with the crying character at that point. If apathy were an intended acceptable response, they would have smartly avoided that score choice. Silence would probably be the best option: if you do sympathize it's still sad, and if you don't, it doesn't feel like a failed emotional pull, or the in-media equivalent of one of those "If you didn't cry watching _____ then you don't have a heart" comments fans sometimes make.
Sep 22, 2018 10:48 AM

Nov 2012
what a trainwreck lol. i just hope this ends with nagisa beating ayano at least, the latter has really been pissing me off.
Sep 22, 2018 12:16 PM

Feb 2017
too much monkaS given in one episode for ayano expression
evonieeSep 22, 2018 12:32 PM

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Sep 22, 2018 3:29 PM

Dec 2016
I sometimes wonder if this show actually wants us to root for Ayano, and if that's the case, they're doing an awful job lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 25, 2018 8:14 AM
May 2017
nDroae said:
imSOunique said:
Nobody asked you to sympathize with Kaoruko, Connie, Uchika or anybody.

When a character cries while on-the-nose conventional sad music plays, as happened with both Kaoruko and Connie, that explicitly betrays an expectation on the part of the creators that the audience will sympathize with the crying character at that point. If apathy were an intended acceptable response, they would have smartly avoided that score choice. Silence would probably be the best option: if you do sympathize it's still sad, and if you don't, it doesn't feel like a failed emotional pull, or the in-media equivalent of one of those "If you didn't cry watching _____ then you don't have a heart" comments fans sometimes make.

IMO the point was to show that, even though they (Kaoruko and Connie) kind of appeared as villains, they still just normal people. Also to show the two sides of the coin, for someone to win, someone else has to lose too. You can decide yourself if you sympathize with them or not.
And if not a sad one, then what kind of song should they play? Trololo? (though I could live with that xd)
imSOuniqueSep 25, 2018 8:18 AM
Sep 26, 2018 11:16 AM

Oct 2010
imSOunique said:
IMO the point was to show that, even though they (Kaoruko and Connie) kind of appeared as villains, they still just normal people. Also to show the two sides of the coin, for someone to win, someone else has to lose too. You can decide yourself if you sympathize with them or not.
And if not a sad one, then what kind of song should they play? Trololo? (though I could live with that xd)

The show invites the viewer to want "someone else to lose." In "normal" sports anime it's routine to first introduce a "villain" and then reveal who they really are, at which point it's a bit sad to see them fail. If you want, you can keep trying to convince me that it's my fault I kept balking and going "SERIOUSLY?!" at this show, but you won't do better than DirectorK.

I suggested not using music at all in the post you quoted. If it had to have music, I'd go for something bleak, maybe some dark ambient / drone. Make it not pretty at all. That's the kind of aesthetic I'd prefer in a show intended to be a portrayal of human ugliness.
Sep 26, 2018 12:33 PM
May 2017
nDroae said:
imSOunique said:

The show invites the viewer to want "someone else to lose." In "normal" sports anime it's routine to first introduce a "villain" and then reveal who they really are, at which point it's a bit sad to see them fail. If you want, you can keep trying to convince me that it's my fault I kept balking and going "SERIOUSLY?!" at this show, but you won't do better than DirectorK.

I suggested not using music at all in the post you quoted. If it had to have music, I'd go for something bleak, maybe some dark ambient / drone. Make it not pretty at all. That's the kind of aesthetic I'd prefer in a show intended to be a portrayal of human ugliness.

Ok, well saying the show is "intended to be a portrayal of human ugliness" might be going a little overboard. It is nothing so grand (it would be a suicide, apparently most people already can't stomach the show), it is just a slightly different sport anime than the others, with a focus on the psychical side, and a unique twist of making the protagonist kind of into the antagonist. Even the protagonist not be the 'nicest person alive' is quite rare (without falling over to the other side of the horse by making them mentally retarded).
That's why I really like the show. After one have seen quite a lot of animes, an anime that can offer something new (without being completely retarded) is a BIG deal (for example Gokudolls is right on the edge :D ). And I don't really care about a minor detail that they used a sad music, where it wasn't a 100% fit.

But yeah, I cannot compare this show to a "normal" sport anime, since I have never finished a single one. Probably because it is not a "normal" sport anime is the reason I am still watching.
imSOuniqueSep 26, 2018 12:49 PM
Sep 26, 2018 1:35 PM

Oct 2010
@imSOunique It makes sense that the exact attribute that turns some off draws others in. You're not the only one:

nDroae said:
I think this is the most interesting perspective I've seen on this show (emphasis added):
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3085516
Emdykay said:
I am not exactly a fan of sports shows because I usally can´t gain acess to the character drama or flat out not take it seriously, so Hanebado throwing any pretense of seriousness or believabilty out of the window from the get go actually made this much more accessible and enjoyable. And also the mood whiplash and tonal shifts don´t hit me that hard, altough it could definetly cut down on the cheap fanservice.
And yes I do hope the show won´t start trying to be reasonable anytime soon :D

And more recently:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/09/25-1/crunchyroll-features-favorite-anime-of-summer-2018

Nate Ming:
"The way Ayano transforms and reacts to badminton over the course of the show is so unique, and the show itself is such high melodrama, that I instantly fell in love with it, wanting to see what crazy new antics my dark daughter Ayano got up to next."

Peter Fobian: "I love the narrative setup of sports anime: seeing an aspirational amateur or team and the creative ways these stories weave sports science into the story beats, but they usually fail to hold onto me. HANEBADO! turned this on its head, taking a few episodes for me to get involved but oh man am I glad I stuck with it. Instead of focusing on amateurs discovering the world of a sport subculture, HANEBADO! follows characters who are up to their necks in the worst parts of the competitive scene. It does so many things that I’m not sure other sports mangaka have even considered, and watching Hanesaki lose hope and lash out at her fellow competitors is one of the most strangely cathartic things I’ve ever watched."
Sep 26, 2018 3:07 PM
May 2017
nDroae said:
@imSOunique It makes sense that the exact attribute that turns some off draws others in.

Yeah, people are so different, sometimes I wonder what even is the point of discussing here, you won't ever change anyone's mind.

THen I remember: Oh right, feeding my ego xd
Oct 4, 2018 12:11 PM
Apr 2014
It's a fail attempt on Uchika, that she will "toss her child in the ravine" for her child to get better. It's like one of those shonen-anime/manga, just that it failed so much because Hanebado is a "realistic"-type of anime, no fantasy powers or sci-fi involved. Just badminton, which is hardly epic because... dude, that's badminton.

And Darth Ayanon... focused over badminton. How sad in life do you have to be to be so obsessed iwth badminton? Anakin turning from good to evil is justified in his own crap because it involves all the Sith-explanations and such. Ayano is just...playing badminton.
Oct 6, 2018 4:48 PM

Oct 2012
The problem I have with Ayano is that she's always so inconsistent. Not even psychopats act like this.

Other than that, it wasn't bad episode, kinda interested on how they game plays out from no on and how Ayano's mother steps in the game. If she really is her mother that is...

What I want to say is that whole this anime would be (A LOT!) better off without Ayano alltogether.
Oct 7, 2018 4:33 AM

Feb 2012
That's her bullshit fucking reason? She wanted her to get better at badminton. LOL man I REALLY want Ayano to win and tell her mom she's abandoning her. I am getting way too worked up over this.
Oct 25, 2018 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
A build-up episode. I will support Nagisa. I hate Ayano.
Mar 12, 2019 2:40 AM

Nov 2013
C'mon, Nagisa. Destroy her ass and then marry Riko.
Jun 19, 2020 6:00 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Damn, still no rejection out there? Its no good to teasing people like that. The tension still sharp. But no slap face scenes until now. The mom keep the pressure, it sures give more impact to Ayanon. Ayanon kept her will as her best.

Surely the same condition goes to Aragaki. Even the banter goes wild af to her, she kept steady and not easily took the bait. Great! Finally the final shit was there! WS final elimination round in the level of prefecture area. The hardworking girl against the beast with great talent girl. The crowd gone crazy. The match began. Damn!

I can't believe Aragaki could steal two points. Nice strategy. Using such a mental approaching like there really brilliant way to be used to the girl like her. Ayano became so depressed. Two shit outta of Ayanon base's really served her better, since the mad of her gonna burst out loud. Now, the real fight soon will become more fearless. Its harsh! Meanwhile, Erena trying to figure out how the best way to harsh that shit mom. Damn, the cliffhanger!

Nice narration out there, my pink haired girl. You will become the best commentator if you retire in the future. Great!
badabassJun 19, 2020 6:03 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 30, 2020 7:35 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ayano vs Nagisa hmmm well that's definitely interesting, but it's really disturbing how Ayano seems to be destroyed by what did her mother
Sep 18, 2021 7:31 AM

Apr 2018
the final match has begun
aragaki vs ayano
and the mom ran away once again

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 25, 2022 4:50 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty intense match. Great start for Nagisa. I hope she wins.
Sep 30, 2022 8:23 AM

Apr 2013
Still no hint to why Ayano's mom left her, at some point I started wondering if we'll even get to know the reason in this season. Definitely rooting for Nagisa in that match though.
Dec 10, 2022 10:30 PM
Jan 2020
Top tier comedy right here
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2018

209 by Destroyer31 »»
May 9, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

38 by Ronninn »»
Dec 7, 2022 5:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.