Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2014 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was good. It was a very simple plot, but executed pretty well and had a good build up. More people should watch this, especially if they like Detective Conan.

Still a bit unsure what the empty gun meant at the end... Does that mean he used up three bullets already?
Apr 27, 2015 9:20 PM
Jul 2018
Liked how the show carried that same feel of Naoki Urasawa shows, and I liked a lot of the characters too (that drunken scene felt pretty genuine and was enjoyable). The story behind the case was interesting too, though tragic, but the development of the case wasn't too impressive - based too much on contrivances and assumptions. Was enjoyable though.
Nov 10, 2015 11:46 AM

Feb 2010
The low score on MAL is unjust (but it's MAL users, so no wonder) - the story is solid and although I did not read manga, I could still watch it alright. Wish there was more of it animated. The amount of detail and realism is enjoyable as is rarely seen in anime, and 80-90s are also nice to revisit. Too bad I couldn't find translated manga, or even complete raws.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Dec 9, 2015 2:21 PM

Jul 2014
Classic thriller/investigation plot. The final part at the amusement park is also very cliché. But it had huge potential.
I agree with Piegoose, it made me think of Naoki Urasawa since the very beginning, especially in the character design. I also loved the 80s vibe and the realism, but it could have been better.
Or maybe it was simply too short. A more extended adaptation would have made this into a really solid series, probably.
Aug 15, 2016 4:39 AM

Jan 2011
It was fairly decent, although I can't say I found it too exciting. Surprisingly the dub was fairly good, you usually can't expect that from these old OVAs.
Dec 27, 2017 3:19 PM

Jan 2014
ooh that was unexpectetly really good
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Mar 4, 2018 5:57 PM

Jul 2015
That was a neat OVA, well paced murder case, can't deny it gave me some feels at the end.
Apr 5, 2018 4:01 PM

Nov 2016
I decided for the dub, since it was surprisingly decent.

Pretty good OVA overall,story was very easy to digest,but it was still intriguing and even a bit sad imo.

I don't want to imagine how tough it must have been for Tomoya to make that decision regarding his daughter and how hard it was to carry on.

7,5/10

In relation to other scores on MAL this is almost criminally underrated.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 10, 2020 6:55 AM

Jul 2016
Holy shit that was great! First time in a while I felt a real connection with the characters that in a couple of scenes my anxiety grew.

What a shit conundrum Tomoya was put in. Unless you yourself were in it, nobody can say what they would or wouldn't do. One of the flaws though was towards the end when Tomoya and his son got onto the ferris wheel. I mean, the dude dropped his kid's jacket onto the ground and they're going to be isolated together.. it doesn't take a genius to realize that this was the perfect time to murder his son. And what a twist of fate: Tomoya's best friend is the one who snipes him.

I'm noticing that kind of trend on MAL where older anime does have low rankings, but everybody has their opinion. I go off rankings on here before I watch a show and sometimes skip out on it due to a low ranking, but that's my own doing. I've been plowing through old OVAs from 80s/mid 90s and I remember why I became a fan in the first place. The older art style just had so much more charm and realism into it that I miss.
Apr 2, 2021 4:36 PM

Jun 2016
That was a decent watch for an ova about 50 mins long. Unfortunately, we didn't really learn much about Goro as an mc, but the case itself was very intriguing. The character design was a bit off for me tho, and the snow effects were pretty laughable. I must say tho, mama left out possibly the most critical piece of information, which I chuckled at, cause it's like a facepalm moment.

Highlight: Sayoko having to make the decision whether the police took the shot or not. She was put in the same position as her husband; lose one, or both of them. A hard decision too make

Nov 25, 2021 8:20 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty good example of faking grey morale by romanticizing sins into iconism. Having such kind of psychological question is not a bad thing, but the narrative heavily baised towards the villan father instead of being neutral. Trying to make him subtlety indicate like that man did nothing wrong. Thats cheap presentation in my opinion (another anime which does the same thing is the perfect insider). Ofcourse, audience will call such things as masterpiece because most crave grey morale so much that even a black one painted as white wouldnt make any difference to them.

Empty gun, wife prioritizing monster husband over child's safety till the last moment, police friends spouting this monster greatness through stories and even the mc emphasising him as tragic soul. Omg! Thats some extreme baised tone author is boldly leaking. Also the choosing of son over daughter was kind of unintentional leak of misogyny too

That man actually killed his daughter and left his family to bang hoes and then suddenly killed a man out of nowhere and his lover and came back to kill his son. The dove flying in the sky at the end. Yes, truly angelic...lol

Despite how much author bias is present, I didnot think the concept itself is bad. Plus art and animation were pretty great. On upside, having a protagonist point of view outside of the conflict make author bais subtle (would have been much worser if villan father was the protagonist), but on the downside protagonist was hardly memorable enough unlike the case of the perfect insiders.

6/10 (I do think I am kind of baised on this because I like Mystery and crime fictions)
AdampkNov 25, 2021 8:46 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 29, 2022 11:16 AM

Aug 2012
I know if I saw someone kill somebody right in front of my face then go on to kill someone else, I'd definitely forget that time they told me their son should die until the last possible second too. That was such an eye-rolling face-palming badly written moment.

I do think the OVA builds to something interesting. I'm glad that Goro at least said he'd consider the sailor in the scenario a murderer since I'd agree, but I do think the scenario itself is worth pondering on. And I rather liked the climax, with Sayoko being put in a parallel situation, needing to kill one to save another. And Yamagishi having to deliver the killing blow too was a great touch. It's a shame that they arrived there largely through plot contrivance & character incompetence (it was blatantly obvious letting them on a secluded Ferris wheel cart was a terrible idea, and the aforementioned Mama moment), but they definitely knew the most tense, thematically appropriate climax.

The bit with the birds was corny though, I think actually having ghost him fly up with the birds rather than just the birds themselves ruined any potential power of the scene and just made it feel goofy. And I do sort of side with Adampk in the extent that I don't feel much sympathy for Tomaya despite the series clearly trying to paint it as such but I did think the situation was interesting enough that it didn't bother me. I really liked Hitomi's death, the whole thing with the scenario reminding him of Sayaka. I do wish the issue with the bullet entry wasn't brought up for the first time right before they're prepared to answer it. Would've been better if we had that lingering mystery for a bit.

Even though I've mostly complained, I greatly enjoy the look (Naoki Urasawa-esque indeed) and vibe of this OVA a lot, I did find the climax pretty strong regardless of my complaints with how they got there, and if there's one compliment I can give this OVA, is I'm upset this is the only adaption of this series. I'd gladly watch a full series about this. 6/10.
May 5, 2022 10:27 PM
Jan 2021
The author's biased toward the father is clear. I was surprised how fast his wife forgives him after learning the truth and how the detective/old friend was defending him. Though it seems like other users agree with the author's view (at least evident from this comment section). Personally, my feelings are best summarized by Adampk 's comment.
Overall a pretty enjoyable OVA. 6/10.
Barry_Allen_14May 5, 2022 10:30 PM
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Jul 8, 2022 8:42 AM

Oct 2015
How heartwrenching😥

Why couldn't Toyama just kill himself Only, instead of dragging poor little Keita into the stir. It was his decision, so he should've decided to die alone with it from the moment he decide to leave. Why make things such a spectacular, instead of just owning up to his grief and man up. I understood there was no turning back from that trauma, even if he tried a normal life it wouldn't have worked, the hinges have already split. The wife would've have eventually blamed him along the course of the marriage, even if she she said otherwise.

What also made me mad with rage, was the wife's indecision for the snipers to shoot Toyama. It's a no brainer that needed no debate, shoot the unhinged bastard, however she wanted to save him. The guy left you and even got a new girl instead of facing himself, and now he's back to Kill your son also, bang him.

I loved this mystery/thriller OVA, the mood was just right. I left everything and decided to really envelop myself into it, and I hardly regret it all.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 31, 2023 7:02 PM

Oct 2021
Dayum, that was good. Very intense but with a good mystery and kind of a noir feeling.

The Okusan tho kinda crazy aswell defending the deranged husband, and that kid will be scared for life lol.

Anyways this makes me want to take a look at the manga, it could be interesting.
Mar 8, 2023 9:56 PM

Oct 2017
It was good. I thought it was going to be lame considering the simple plot (no plot twists). But they handled the plot very well & elevated the story to a higher level, the animation style is good too.
Jul 17, 2023 3:14 PM

Jul 2011
I was surprised by the ending, I was expected the wife to somehow convince her husband to give up the plot and he just gets shot.

The mystery/investigation was quite basic but it's a relatively decent story.
EythJul 17, 2023 3:22 PM
Jul 22, 2023 6:17 PM

Oct 2016
Dumb as fuck ova. Characters act like idiots and the way it's written it feels like it's trying to justify that horrible dude the whole time. 

Adampk said:
Pretty good example of faking grey morale by romanticizing sins into iconism. Having such kind of psychological question is not a bad thing, but the narrative heavily baised towards the villan father instead of being neutral. Trying to make him subtlety indicate like that man did nothing wrong. Thats cheap presentation in my opinion (another anime which does the same thing is the perfect insider). Ofcourse, audience will call such things as masterpiece because most crave grey morale so much that even a black one painted as white wouldnt make any difference to them.

Empty gun, wife prioritizing monster husband over child's safety till the last moment, police friends spouting this monster greatness  through stories and even the mc emphasising him as tragic soul. Omg! Thats some extreme baised tone author is boldly leaking. Also the choosing of son over daughter was kind of unintentional leak of misogyny too

That man actually killed his daughter and left his family to bang hoes  and then suddenly killed a man out of nowhere and his lover and came back to kill his son.  The dove flying in the sky at the end. Yes, truly angelic...lol
Exactly
Jul 23, 2023 4:38 PM

Jan 2016
good story, pacing, characters... but felt nauseated by the ending... fuck that psycho cold killer and the director trying to get us to sympathize with him

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.