Forums

Ask questions on how to fix your layouts and designs here (see first post for FAQ)
Pages (62) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Must be a Club Member to Reply
Apr 15, 2010 12:46 AM

To get faster help, maybe right away!

For lists: see if one of my list tutorials answers your question first.

For profiles and sigs check profile and BBcode tutorials for a topic on your question before asking here.

For making or customizing your own images- like resizing images on your computer, making wallpapers, etc- check the graphic design section to see if your question is covered there. However, these topics are intended for beginners in graphic design, so they may not address advanced questions.

If you aren't able to find what you need with those topics- ask in this topic. Just keep in mind we use MyAnimeList's Advanced Style CSS editor for lists not the default (see bottom of post if you don't know what this is). And take your list off private settings so we can actually inspect it. You can take your list off private here.

btw here are popular questions answered below, yours may be among them!

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

* I make changes to my list, but I don't see them when I'm logged in. What do I do?

* How can I make sure I am using Advanced Style CSS Editor?

* I already know how to use CSS. So where do I add the codes or a premade layout CSS??

* I've set a layout to my Anime List. How to set a layout to my Manga List?

* I'm looking for a CSS code to a specific part, but I don't know what it is. What do I do?

* A certain code or add-on isn't working on my list. What do I do?

* Some or all of the DVD or manga covers aren't showing up on my list, how do I display them all?

* A background image I installed is missing from my layout all of a sudden (it says this image has been moved or deleted, or something like that), or the layout is suddenly messed up when I didn't do anything. What do I do?

* Is there a way I can look at my list on a different screen size?

* My list is lagging (loading slow), what can I do?

* Is there a way to use CSS codes on profiles, groups or clubs?

* My list is long, so can I fix my category buttons to my page without scrolling back up to click them every time?

Keep in mind, we only use Advanced Style CSS editor for lists in this club!
You're welcome to use the FAQs or ask what you want here, but remember ppl who answer questions use premade layouts and customized CSS- we don't use these options outlined in red:

You can still post your question here tho but keep this in mind please!

Use my beginner's tutorial so you can begin to use the Advanced CSS Editor too! I make it very easy and it takes only minutes!
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=200320
Modified by Shishio-kun, Aug 18, 9:33 PM

Apr 22, 2010 10:23 PM

Hey Shishio, I have a question

Would the sidebar work for MAL? I've noticed that you have a sidebar on your menu list on your profile, would that work for the anime lists? I am having troubles with the CSS coding, and wanting to put a menu list like the "restaurants" menu...what I am picturing is like having it be the screen and click on the links to take you there.
Modified by Timare, Apr 23, 2010 8:10 PM

Apr 24, 2010 10:51 AM

The Neko menu on my profile? Its made with BBcode in the edit profile box, there's no CSS involved there:

http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=bbcode

The anime/manga list doesn't use BBcode. The forums and profiles do. If you want to do something like that for the anime list, I guess you'd have to use the fixed category menu thing I made, and fix those on the left/right side. Are these the links you wanna use? I can't think of many others available. I can help get you started on a menu like that, esp since I was going to use it for my contest layout anyhow.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=202010&show=0#post1

Apr 24, 2010 9:30 PM

Yeah, I already made the image that I wanted to use for a menu list :) and the font-family that I would be using just don't know how to put the CSS on there. Wanting to try it out for the theme css layout I've been working on. =)

May 2, 2010 12:57 PM

Uh, how should I change the menu list to come to the left side? The way you made the bottom menu list is alright but its getting me confused of where to remove it and replace it with the fixed left-sidebar.

May 6, 2010 7:20 PM

I have to get back to you on that later, I have to make it positioned on the left and change a few things around- but then we'll have a left side menu!

May 6, 2010 11:59 PM

Okay =) I've also notice that its not fixed on Internet Explorer only on Google Chrome and Firefox haven't tried Opera yet on the school computers.

May 7, 2010 7:04 PM

I need to fix it for IE? I had fixed it for Chrome, guess it went back and messed up in IE lol. Thanks for telling me. I kind of avoid IE cuz its so glitchy. If you are planning to be one in any way even casually you will deal with it as well on sites, everything. Its so annoying there's petitions to remove it from the internet.

May 7, 2010 8:08 PM

Maybe, there are people that still uses IE. Your welcome =), I don't use IE anymore and haven't dared to look on Opera "yet". Was supposed to do that today in Web Design guess I got carried away of wanting to fix my teacher's website.
Modified by Timare, May 8, 2010 7:37 PM

May 10, 2010 12:04 AM

I looked at it in IE, the bottom menu on the full K-on! layout works fine. Maybe they're using an older version? I use IE7 or 8 on Windows XP.

Yes, mostly computer noobs and older people use IE. On this site I think its mostly Firefox users.

Browser statistics: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

May 10, 2010 1:38 PM

Probably, everything was fine on Opera. I wonder why they didn't give into the Chrome empire yet. =P

May 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Shishio, is there a specific code for the background:url()? I'm asking because I'm trying to put a different color scheme with a different picture for each page. When I did, the background code did not work at all the body background was still over the picture and there were bits of the image showing but it was showing in the header section. I'll work on this on the weekends, might have put the code in the wrong section. Do you have any suggestions of what I should put?

Jun 9, 2010 12:36 PM

Oh I like the image on the right side! Hmm I don't really see what you mean for now, do you mean for everytime you click a list category, you get a different background, kind of like on my anime list with the different Mios? I don't know how to assign individual body for each separate category with CSS here, but you can assign different headings for each category and make that the background actually. Is that what you'd want?

Why don't you make sort of fake examples of what you're trying to do so I can get an idea of your goal? That's what I always do when I asked people about hard stuff.

Jun 9, 2010 9:57 PM

Oki, I'll try to do fake examples right after school gets out....I have never once payed attention to any lessons go me accept thats the bad part been out of it and might need some thinking time. Yeah, I was going to get on that last weekend never gotten to do it because of our Basement Troll who steals our internet =.=. I was gonna do a color code same texture with a different pic for that specific page. Summer Vacation is coming along fast so I may have free time to do that :D.

Btw, have you checked out DeviantArt css rules? I was disappointed in that. They made the css for "Premium Members only" its laughable I never seen a site that is getting money off of that. Might make a journal skin after MAL list is done though.

http://news.deviantart.com/article/79925/?loggedin=1&offset=250#comments

The very last comment was by me Flowina. That is wasteful money...

Jul 22, 2010 1:25 PM

Hey guys...i need some help >.<. I want to move my list to the left so the wallpaper looks better. I read the topic, i tried to add that code but the only thing that happened was that the list went to the left. Backround wallpaper dissapeared, colors changed etc etc. I suck at CSS and i dont have much patience ><.

Wat do?

Jul 26, 2010 8:28 PM

Nagashi said:
Hey guys...i need some help >.<. I want to move my list to the left so the wallpaper looks better. I read the topic, i tried to add that code but the only thing that happened was that the list went to the left. Backround wallpaper dissapeared, colors changed etc etc. I suck at CSS and i dont have much patience ><.

Wat do?

The best advice I should give, is play around with your code until you get what you want. I can make the code for you though or share mine at least as long as you change the background. The one I have right now has a left side.

But before all that sharing talk...have you look at Shishio's previous CSS layouts? There should be two layouts that has a left side instead of the middle or right.

go Here look for the ones that says beginner layouts!

Jul 27, 2010 3:09 PM

Sishio-kun thanks for everything.Thanks to you my anime list got better.But pls can someone tell me how to erase this or change it?

http://a.imageshack.us/img251/7575/asdavy.jpg

Jul 27, 2010 3:09 PM

Sishio-kun thanks for everything.Thanks to you my anime list got better.But pls can someone tell me how to erase this or change it?

Jul 28, 2010 6:59 PM

what are some other curser codes?
is their a site for css curser codes that wont give me viruses
is there a way to hide your clubs?
Modified by mysterygirl177, Jul 29, 2010 6:01 PM

Aug 1, 2010 5:23 PM

SineBirYan said:

I don't see what the problem is, though it should be on your coding. If your talking about moving the links to the bottom then you can find the code Here. If its about color coding you can always play around with the code you are using. Heres an example of what I do when I want to change the color:

1. Use the color code you want
2. Then save the current color codes you already have on a document if you don't want to re-find it.
3. After all that, play around with the color code only on the color coding part, you would probably take 15-30 minutes of doing so.

You'll be frustrated yes I know but in the end you'll be happy with the results. =) If this does not work, I'll be happy to fix your category code with the color you want it to be.

mysterygirl177 said:

Hmm...you know you could always replace the miku curser ^^

No, all the cursers sites should be viruses free if your unsure about it then have a quick scan to check for viruses.

The only CSS involvement is on your Anime/Manga list only. You cannot change anything on your profile.
Modified by Timare, Aug 1, 2010 5:27 PM

Aug 2, 2010 7:08 AM

Thanks for you replay but can you look at my animelist again?İ kinda changed my animelist.İf you take a look again you can see that is blocking my banner now.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SineBirYan

i'm not talking about colors.Just wanna erase that black thing with says all anime etc. on it.

Aug 2, 2010 7:08 AM

Thanks for you replay but can you look at my animelist again?İ kinda changed my animelist.İf you take a look again you can see that is blocking my banner now.

i'm not talking about colors.Just wanna erase that black thing with says all anime etc. on it.

Aug 2, 2010 8:30 AM

SineBirYan said:

What do you mean by "Just wanna erase that black thing with says all anime etc on it? The links are there for a reason, if your still bothered by the bar try putting the bar with the links at the bottom, if that does not work for you and still want to remove everything then ask Shishio Sine, I never tried removing the links before.
Go Here for the code

Again, if this does not help you at all then I am sorry. I never got bothered by the menu code that has the links but you can always try experimenting by yourself and see what you can do. If your still frustrated ask Shishio for help. =)
Modified by Timare, Aug 2, 2010 4:56 PM

Aug 5, 2010 1:25 AM

Timare said:
SineBirYan said:

I don't see what the problem is, though it should be on your coding. If your talking about moving the links to the bottom then you can find the code Here. If its about color coding you can always play around with the code you are using. Heres an example of what I do when I want to change the color:

1. Use the color code you want
2. Then save the current color codes you already have on a document if you don't want to re-find it.
3. After all that, play around with the color code only on the color coding part, you would probably take 15-30 minutes of doing so.

You'll be frustrated yes I know but in the end you'll be happy with the results. =) If this does not work, I'll be happy to fix your category code with the color you want it to be.

mysterygirl177 said:

Hmm...you know you could always replace the miku curser ^^

No, all the cursers sites should be viruses free if your unsure about it then have a quick scan to check for viruses.

The only CSS involvement is on your Anime/Manga list only. You cannot change anything on your profile.
oh okay thanks wish could do stuff on profile

Aug 9, 2010 5:13 PM

My coms been broken for months, so I haven't been able to answer questions before.

Nagashi said:

Wat do?

Yeah there is a code I made to move it to the left or right, and it is this:

But if it didn't work, its probably cuz of some kind of code conflict with the ones before. Happens sometimes, these look crazy on the screen but I can usually fix these easily, so can you put the code back up so I can take a look at it please?

SineBirYan said:

Its a little tricky spot, but I have a custom menu bar you can add, you might like it instead, as she posted:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=202010

If you want to remove it altogether, try adding this:

.status_selected, .status_not_selected {display: none;}

mysterygirl177 said:

I don't know any other at the moment. If you make a request for a certain kind of cursor in the forum, someone may answer. There's some pretty talented and helpful people here. I think the only way to hide a club is to have the manager of a club make it a "secret" one.

Aug 13, 2010 3:02 PM

Is there a way to custom-adjust the width of some of the table columns? My "Anime Title" column is a good 180 or so pixels wider than the longest entry, and yet "Tags" is very skinny and set to word wrap, so I have up to 7 lines of text per entry which makes my completed list very long to scroll through. I had a quick look through your pre-made starter code and MAL's pre-made starter code and couldn't find anything, so it doesn't seem to be a default option. (Can only see list_surround, which I think edits the width of the whole table?)

Aug 13, 2010 9:03 PM

So you want to make the tags wide and the anime title's skinny? I don't really know of such a way. Even if you make the list surround wide I saw it doesn't effect the tag section instead it makes the anime title tag larger. Its just not an option on this site as far as I can see, but who knows, maybe someone will have a way later.

Aug 18, 2010 1:03 PM

как сделать чтобы задний фон повторялся?

How to make that a back background repeated?

Aug 18, 2010 5:16 PM

Shishio-kun said:
So you want to make the tags wide and the anime title's skinny? I don't really know of such a way. Even if you make the list surround wide I saw it doesn't effect the tag section instead it makes the anime title tag larger. Its just not an option on this site as far as I can see, but who knows, maybe someone will have a way later.

Yeah, that was what I was looking for. Couldn't find anything in the default options and looking through page source so I was wondering if anyone knew a way to force it in (I'm sure that basically everyone using Tags would see this as a useful option, after all :P). Thanks anyway!

Aug 19, 2010 7:32 PM

Hentaro said:
как сделать чтобы задний фон повторялся?

How to make that a back background repeated?

--------------
}
#list_surround {
background-image:url();
background-repeat:repeat;
position:absolute;
width:600px;
}
-------------

This is also on your coding. If its says "no-repeat" change it to repeat; instead.

Sep 6, 2010 11:24 AM

What's a good website for a banner (gif) besides photoshop

Sep 25, 2010 11:12 AM

mysterygirl177 said:
What's a good website for a banner (gif) besides photoshop

You mean Photobucket? I would recommend http://www.tinypic.com, else there are no other good websites to upload pictures on, if that's what you're after. Probably http://imageshack.us, then.
Anyway, what's wrong with Photobucket? They ain't supporting .gif-files, or something?

Nov 9, 2010 8:19 PM

Ok why is it when I use the ecchi design but change the pic to the following:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2q2e03p.jpg
that is fails to see my pic? WTH?
Here is the full code:

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!

Nov 17, 2010 8:55 AM

Shishio-kun thanks for all your help.

Although can I ask some things: Firstly, I saw this on HIMR's list, it's regarding the background color for the headers. What is the code to have a background color on the left side of the header, then it slowly fades out to transparency as you look to the right of it? Or should I say, what's the code to place custom images as the backgrounds for your headers?

Example: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/HIMR

Also, what would be the code to change the font size of the table titles: E.g. "Score" "Type" "#" "Progress" "Anime Title", etc.

Thanks, again.
Modified by RhythmX, Nov 17, 2010 8:58 AM

Nov 17, 2010 11:54 PM

Yumekichi11 said:
Ok why is it when I use the ecchi design but change the pic to the following:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2q2e03p.jpg
that is fails to see my pic? WTH?
Here is the full code:

This code works, but you should fix the background image:

This should the background in place. Hope thats what you meant by not being able to see it, since I can see it when I put the code on your list.

RhythmX said:
Shishio-kun thanks for all your help.

Although can I ask some things: Firstly, I saw this on HIMR's list, it's regarding the background color for the headers. What is the code to have a background color on the left side of the header, then it slowly fades out to transparency as you look to the right of it? Or should I say, what's the code to place custom images as the backgrounds for your headers?

Example: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/HIMR

Also, what would be the code to change the font size of the table titles: E.g. "Score" "Type" "#" "Progress" "Anime Title", etc.

Thanks, again.

(1)

There isn't such a background color or effect, at least not yet. This is an image she made in Photoshop or something you can see it here:

http://i34.tinypic.com/29p6pnc.jpg

(2)

In order to change the background of a selector, like body or list surrond, use this code:

background-image:url(http://i36.tinypic.com/2wh0dc9.jpg);

The part in bold is the image link, this is the pic displayed. Change the image link's address to link to another pic. You get these at Tinypic or Photobucket by uploading images and using the "direct link". I went over this in better detail and you get to do it yourself in my tutorial here, changing your basic background, it seems long but its actually quick and easy.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=200320

(3)

.table_header {
font-size:12px;
}

For "Score" "Type" "#" "Progress; can change the number to whatever size.

.animetitle {
font-size:12px;
}

For anime title.

Nov 18, 2010 8:14 AM

Wow thanks heaps Shishio-kun, I got it working perfectly. :)

Nov 20, 2010 2:05 AM

i am trying to make my list transparent but im not sure where i should put the codes?
Modified by xTheFallenx, Nov 20, 2010 3:00 AM

Nov 20, 2010 7:55 PM

Damakiller said:
i am trying to make my list transparent but im not sure where i should put the codes?

It looks transparent to me atm.

Nov 26, 2010 6:27 PM

I want to change the background colour of the box you get when you click on it and can alter the number. It's because it's currently on white and I've got a white font so it's hard to see.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/phoenixwings_195/boxthing.jpg

Nov 27, 2010 11:55 PM

animeangel105 said:
I want to change the background colour of the box you get when you click on it and can alter the number. It's because it's currently on white and I've got a white font so it's hard to see.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/phoenixwings_195/boxthing.jpg

Your list is set to private so I don't know exactly how to fix it or whats making it white text on white, but you can try adding these codes to your CSS bottom I think these would fix it. You don't need to change any of the original codes btw just add this to the bottom and save..

a:hover, .animetitle:hover, .td1:hover, .td2:hover {
color: white;
background: black;
}

This should change this text to white on black color when you put the cursor on it, but I can't confirm it though unless I see the list. Let me know what it does exactly...

Jan 9, 2011 7:56 PM

Hey, firstly, thanks for the easy to use tutorial for altering your list design. I am a complete novice when it come to CSS, but you made it basically impossible to screw up. :)

I was wondering, however, whether there was a way to either: a) Have more customisability when it comes to choosing colours. For example, for the 'Currently watching/Dropped/etc' sections, I simply typed 'brown' into the code but it more represents red. b)See a list of which colours you can use.

Also, I was wondering how you could change the heights of those bars. They're slightly too tall for my liking, but I presume there's an easy way somewhere in the code to change it. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Here's the code in case you need to see it.

Jan 10, 2011 11:31 AM

Hi, I need help (well, of course)! ó__ò
This is my manga list: http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Apocaly
I've picked up a pre-made list (the first in the pre-made topic), and I'm slowly changing it.
BUT I can't fix my banner at the top, it covers the 'Currently reading'... what I should do?

Thank you very much ;)

Sing a song ♪♫

Jan 11, 2011 12:12 AM

Jack_Rav said:
Hey, firstly, thanks for the easy to use tutorial for altering your list design. I am a complete novice when it come to CSS, but you made it basically impossible to screw up. :)

I was wondering, however, whether there was a way to either: a) Have more customisability when it comes to choosing colours. For example, for the 'Currently watching/Dropped/etc' sections, I simply typed 'brown' into the code but it more represents red. b)See a list of which colours you can use.

Also, I was wondering how you could change the heights of those bars. They're slightly too tall for my liking, but I presume there's an easy way somewhere in the code to change it. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Here's the code in case you need to see it.

(1) Yes, you can choose from hundreds of colors actually beyond what we can think of off the top of our heads. First off, there are the many many named colors, like turquoise or magenta, and Wikipedia actually has an essential list with examples of many possible colors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors

A lot of these strange color names won't be recognized by the CSS, or they will be spelled differently. Because of this, we use the "number" of the color, which is in the category "hex triplet" on that same list of colors. So for the "Air Force Blue"color, you'd use "#5D8AA8" instead of the word. Probably better to do that every time for colors outside the common ones.

(2) Yes almost anything can be affected with the right code. I think by bars you mean the headers, to make them shorter, add this code to the bottom of your CSS, then adjust the px number to a smaller amount.

.header_title {
height:52px;
}

For your layout, 25px should reduce the size to just outside the font.
Modified by Shishio-kun, Jan 11, 2011 12:15 AM

Jan 11, 2011 12:43 AM

Apocaly said:
Hi, I need help (well, of course)! ó__ò
This is my manga list: http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Apocaly
I've picked up a pre-made list (the first in the pre-made topic), and I'm slowly changing it.
BUT I can't fix my banner at the top, it covers the 'Currently reading'... what I should do?

Thank you very much ;)

What you should do depends on what you were planning on doing exactly, which I don't know, but to make the top image stop repeating:

#list_surround .header_title {
background: url(http://tinyurl.com/6zpd2gg) repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
height: 216px;
left: -283px;
padding: 25px;
position: absolute;
top: -229px;
width: 869px;
}

Find this code (about 14 codes from the bottom) and change repeat to no-repeat. The top image won't repeat anymore. It only looks like its repeating once from what I can see.

You have another image below that on the layout, but its separate from the others; its the same pic as the top header pic but with a slight edit so you might wanna change it to another one I guess. This is the code for it.

#list_surround {
background-image: url(http://tinyurl.com/5vv8wun);
background-position: right top;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
padding-top: 232px;
}

Jan 11, 2011 5:50 AM

What Program Is Best To Use For Editing Profiles ?
Like For Other People , Their Profile is Very Creative And it'll Probably Say V.03
Kinda Makes Mine Look Like Garbage xD

~Thanks [=

Mar 1, 2011 5:00 AM

Hi, I need help with my list.

How do I remove the other columns like this:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Garrett

Also, any tips on how to make my list look better? here it is:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Nhelraios

Mar 21, 2011 11:59 AM

Nhelraios said:
Hi, I need help with my list.

How do I remove the other columns like this:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Garrett

Also, any tips on how to make my list look better? here it is:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Nhelraios

Oh I love that guys list. But what do you mean by columns? You mean like the type/progress stuff? If so try removing checks from the sections you don't want here:

http://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences

Making lists look better is up to the person. If you can't think of what you want to do, you can ask your friends what they'd think would be cool and you try to do it. You can also use some of the other premade codes we wrote in this group then customize those in unique ways.

Jul 3, 2011 1:26 AM

Hi! Can anyone help me? I have problem with the banner on my list. The picture goes into the main header (watching, completed, etc.) as a background image.
The other thing I would like to ask is how do you make the empty space on the top of the list completly disappear?
Here is my code as of right now:

Thanks! :D

Jul 4, 2011 10:36 AM

SaSgz said:
Hi! Can anyone help me? I have problem with the banner on my list. The picture goes into the main header (watching, completed, etc.) as a background image.
The other thing I would like to ask is how do you make the empty space on the top of the list completly disappear?

I see, the banner image became the headers! Here's how you want your code to look, based on what I think you told me. I left a link to an example on your page. You can just replace the whole thing, and we can still make little adjustments after if you need em':

Modified by Shishio-kun, Jul 4, 2011 10:39 AM

Jul 4, 2011 10:45 AM

Fuko-Brian said:
What Program Is Best To Use For Editing Profiles ?
Like For Other People , Their Profile is Very Creative And it'll Probably Say V.03
Kinda Makes Mine Look Like Garbage xD

~Thanks [=

Sorry I thought I answered, well the programs I use are Macromedia Fireworks (advanced stuff like blurring, coloring, rendering) and JASC Animation Shop (simple edits, cutting, animating), I think they're best you don't need Photoshop 99% of the time imo.

A lot of people who I respect use GIMP as well. You can always just ask what programs people use on their page. I'd say for a beginner JASC animation shop is best, I did mine with that, and I learned a lot on it. Its not as easy as Paint but its not as hard as Photoshop or Fireworks, and it still does a lot!

Pages (62) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »