Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2009 9:44 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like Ningen Shikkaku has ended.

The man's crazy and dead.
tsubasaloverNov 1, 2009 9:01 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 1, 2009 5:43 AM

Oct 2009
Ok this episode made me angry, made me look at Youzou completely as a crazy person but that is because of his expressions in this episode (he was already crazy before) and as pathetic. At the start I was very happy that Youzou proposed Yoshika and that it was her that saved him. The problem started when he started having these illusions of all these girls he was with naked around him like ghosts. He did what journal boss of Shizuko said about making the story about his murder/suicide story. What I don't understand is why he started smoking and just when Hiriko came he started drinking sake? What I don't understand also is why did not Hiriko (especially since he joined the army) nor Youzou did anything to stop this pig:
from raping Yoshika. Youzou was just pathetic for doing nothing but he did save Yoshika with the pills stuff when he grabbed them from her. I did not really understand why he started to eat them himself but because of that I think he ended in the hospital. So I suppose he escapes, started to really bleed from his mouth and dies? Or does he just go to another girl and then dies some later part? Looks like the story is over. I still do not understand why he did not stay with Shizuko or just Yoshika after saving her?

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Nov 1, 2009 9:10 AM

Nov 2007
francismeunier said:
The problem started when he started having these illusions of all these girls he was with naked around him like ghosts.

When he was drawing, the content comes out to him. Those illusions are what he drew.

francismeunier said:
So I suppose he escapes, started to really bleed from his mouth and dies? Or does he just go to another girl and then dies some later part? Looks like the story is over.

He goes to drug store where the woman, the store owner, gave him the pill to die. He asked her to give him something that makes him relaxed.
tsubasaloverNov 1, 2009 9:13 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 1, 2009 9:15 AM

Oct 2009
tsubasalover said:
francismeunier said:
The problem started when he started having these illusions of all these girls he was with naked around him like ghosts.

When he was drawing, the content comes out to him. Those illusions are what he drew.

francismeunier said:
So I suppose he escapes, started to really bleed from his mouth and dies? Or does he just go to another girl and then dies some later part? Looks like the story is over.

He goes to drug store where the woman, the store owner, gave him the pill to die. He asked her to give him something that makes him relaxed.

Ok so the illusions are just the same problem he had with that monster and a pill to make him die, guess he felt that bad he could not prevent that rape. Thanks a lot for the clear up.

Nov 1, 2009 10:43 PM

May 2008
francismeunier said:
tsubasalover said:
francismeunier said:

francismeunier said:

Ok so the illusions are just the same problem he had with that monster and a pill to make him die, guess he felt that bad he could not prevent that rape. Thanks a lot for the clear up.

I'd like to stress that both the illusions, and more importantly the monster, are tools meant to convey psychological issues, and that's all they should be thought of as.

As you'll see in the subbed episode (Which I released just now, by the way), he did not try to prevent the rape because it was not a rape, he understood that she was doing sexual favors to get his manga published.

The ending sequence shows him finally committing suicide, after the final realization that he has failed as a human.
Nov 2, 2009 2:39 AM

Oct 2008
hikky said:
The ending sequence shows him finally committing suicide, after the final realization that he has failed as a human.

Did he actually kill himself? I thought he just went into a morphine binge and eventually died from TB.
Nov 2, 2009 7:19 AM

Jan 2009
francismeunier said:
nor Youzou did anything to stop this pig:
It's very simple, he didn't stop his boss from raping his wife because the moment he saw them he realized that his wife was always sleeping with his boss to get him work, that's the very moment he lost faith in her.

It becomes apparent in their last conversation, Youzou says, "It was strange for a manga like this to start selling......". Insinuating that it was his wife that was getting him the work by giving her body to his boss.

Very simple to understand and I don't think I would have done anything differently if I were in Youzou's situation. I lose all faith in women who give up their bodys in any circumstance, I'll cut my ties with a girl the moment I find out she's been with someone else.
Nov 2, 2009 7:52 AM

Oct 2009
ralphy0103 said:
francismeunier said:
It's very simple, he didn't stop his boss from raping his wife because the moment he saw them he realized that his wife was always sleeping with his boss to get him work, that's the very moment he lost faith in her.

It becomes apparent in their last conversation, Youzou says, "It was strange for a manga like this to start selling......". Insinuating that it was his wife that was getting him the work by giving her body to his boss.

Very simple to understand and I don't think I would have done anything differently if I were in Youzou's situation. I lose all faith in women who give up their bodys in any circumstance, I'll cut my ties with a girl the moment I find out she's been with someone else.

In the end it was sleeping with the boss to get his manga published but I don't think the wife liked it all. I mean she crying when this happened so why would she agree to it in the first place?
Is it only because of that store she had and wanted to keep by earning more money to support it when it was not doing good business? Or just to survive in life?
This comes back that what noteDhero said in episode 3 of some of my questions: Yoshika is too naive of society.
hikky said:
francismeunier said:
tsubasalover said:
francismeunier said:

francismeunier said:

I'd like to stress that both the illusions, and more importantly the monster, are tools meant to convey psychological issues, and that's all they should be thought of as.

As you'll see in the subbed episode (Which I released just now, by the way), he did not try to prevent the rape because it was not a rape, he understood that she was doing sexual favors to get his manga published.

Ok, I see so in the end the human failure made more the monster happy since it shows that he sitting with him.

Nov 2, 2009 7:57 AM

Jul 2009
Damn damn damn..you know i just punched my desk right when his wife giving her body to his boss just so Yozo can get work...damn it's pissed me off..hell it is..aargghh my heart is fills with anger right now!!! i thought she was different, hell Yozo's word "I thought she was my goddess" really hit it right there

Overall great literature series..glad i watch it until the end..that's for "No Longer Human", next plz

And thx hikky for the sub

PS:I'm still angry!! i'll go watch some gag anime right now..aargghh
Nov 2, 2009 7:59 AM

Oct 2009
Laevantein said:
Damn damn damn..you know i just punched my desk right when his wife giving her body to his boss just so Yozo can get work...damn it's pissed me off..hell it is..aargghh my heart is fills with anger right now!!! i thought she was different, hell Yozo's word "I thought she was my goddess" really hit it right there

Overall great literature series..glad i watch it until the end..that's for "No Longer Human", next plz

And thx hikky for the sub

PS:I'm still angry!! i'll go watch some gag anime right now..aargghh

Anger approved and shared. I am with you and your anger all that way in this!

Nov 2, 2009 8:23 AM

Jul 2009
Damn
Nov 2, 2009 8:53 AM

Jul 2008
so the story ended..overall it was very good. i really enjoyed watchin this. but this last ep kinda gave me a bit of death note vibes...especially after he started laughin and then completely lost it and became all crazy. but that enough of that. Really loved the story and can't wait for the next one.

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Nov 2, 2009 10:37 AM

May 2008
zerotonin said:
hikky said:

Did he actually kill himself? I thought he just went into a morphine binge and eventually died from TB.

You could be right. I guess it's really open to interpretation how they meant for the end of the episode to be seen, at any rate they certainly depicted him giving up as a human.
Nov 2, 2009 10:37 AM

Aug 2009
This anime is fucked up! But in a good way :D

Shroomie said:
Maybe I interpreted the episode wrong....

I saw it as his wife being raped by his boss. Afterwards, when Yozo accused her of sleeping with him so his manga would sell, she committed suicide out of shame. I mean, it's possible that she might not speak against him to deny it. She's very obedient and quiet around him.

She even asks him, "why didn't you stop him?" and when he accuses her of prostituting herself, she looks utterly shocked.

This is how I saw it, so you're not alone. I remember reading somewhere that back in the day some cultures would accuse women of being cheaters when they were raped or molested (like it was the woman's fault she was violated and not the man's) and maybe that's what Yozo instantly thought when he saw her.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Nov 2, 2009 12:09 PM

Feb 2009
Damn...the story is realy interesting but i have to say that i realy hated this last episode ;(

About Yoshika...i'd like to believe she was raped,but...why didn't she scream or struggle if she was realy raped.Just seeing her cry isn't enough...she could make it voluntary and still not like it,but endure for her husbant's sake...
On the other hands she looked so pure...she couldn't possibly sell her body,right?

About Yozo...i was sure he's crazy ever since the first episode when he was seeing his father in the alley in front of him while running from the cop.
But i don't think it was his own fault that he was a failure as a human...i think his father is to blame,mostly...

I guess it's this kind of anime which makes you so sad that you want to hate it,but is undoubtedly a good one.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 2, 2009 1:48 PM

Oct 2009
ChaosLegion said:

But i don't think it was his own fault that he was a failure as a human...i think his father is to blame,mostly...

Don't forget those women who raped him and abused him as a little kid.

Nov 2, 2009 3:48 PM

Jul 2009
Er....Well, I guess "Your anger is only making my p**** harder" can be applied here?

~So~ At the end, his girl is her eh? Not bad of a choice, I guess, she looks sexy and all... LOL

PS: Bar woman making appearance near the end= Me happy (^_^)b

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Nov 2, 2009 3:58 PM

Jun 2007
Honestly, I didn't 'get' this episode. I understood him wanting something pure to save him; something to live for. I understood him working for her. However, his actions in the episode made little sense to me.

He told his wife he'd stop drinking if she married him... yet he drank with his 'friend'. This, together with him leaving his wife alone with his boss and her not screaming, suggested to me he knew what was happening, and that his wife was going along with it. But his reaction to seeing his wife being raped, and her asking why he didn't help her, suggested he didn't know until then. She reacted as if it was the first time. Very confusing. If he did know, then it made no sense - he was knowingly discarding his lifeline for money.

As for him imaging the various women he'd slept with, I didn't quite get that, either. Were they shown to represent his previous attempts with women; his past attempts at living as a human, or was there a deeper meaning behind that?

Not even the ending made sense to me. I'm assuming he died, but who the heck was the woman? I think an image of her was shown previously... Maybe she wasn't an actual person, instead representing death? :|

...Bah, if only this story went on for longer. With the way the story jumped to the future - to the point the lead stopped living with his previous woman and married someone else - it seemed like it was rushing. I want to read the novel to get a better understanding and see if there are any differences. But, since I'm lazy, I'll probably settle for re-watching 1-4 in one sitting in the hope of gaining a greater understanding of what went on in the finale.
Nov 2, 2009 4:13 PM

Jun 2009
Very interesting episode, although it felt rushed and little confusing. I guess the woman in the end could maybe represent the woman that he pushed from the cliff in the first episode.
Nov 2, 2009 7:02 PM

Apr 2008
By the end, I really felt pity for the main character. He was really screwed up by life, and while he didn't necessarily make all the right choices, he was given a crappy hand to start with. Let's see.....

It really isn't much of a surprise that the man is a mental minefield. People have broken under less. How he felt was beautifully summed up in the end when he went to that little shop:

"It hurts, give me some medicine to put me at ease"

While I don't personally approve of suicide, you can empathize with the character and his awful situation, and see why he chose the 'solution' that he did. It's a sad story, but one I thought was well done.
Nov 2, 2009 7:16 PM

Jun 2007
I feel the point of the story was to show that he was never 'human'; never meant to belong anywhere or with anyone. There was nowhere for him to go - no paradise awaiting him. He viewed himself as a monster in human skin, and he lacked the ability to take his life anywhere. An alien in a world of normality.

You could argue that his experiences changed him, but I think he, quite simply, was who he was. Whether he'd had a happy upbringing or not, the 'core' of him wouldn't have changed, and he still would've struggled to fit in, instead having to act. That's my view, anyhow.

Going on the fact the author killed himself and went through women like the lead of his novel, I'm going to assume the novel is something akin to a suicide not he left before managing to kill himself on the second attempt - like I assume the lead in Aoi did.
Nov 2, 2009 7:25 PM

Jun 2009
waht the fak.
he didn't even save YOSHIKA
-.- seriously WTF?-.-
A guy like him doesn't even deserve being with that many girls
-.-
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Nov 2, 2009 8:51 PM

Feb 2009
I don't know where the confusion comes from. He Did Kill himself by taking pills he bought from that drug store (the same one as the one that the first girl bought pills from in the first episode). His wife was not raped and it's true that she did sexual favors for the boss because Yo had started drawing that monster again and it wouldn't sell. She was just lying there quietly and that's not rape. She was hoping that he'd interpret it as rape when she asked him why he hadn't stopped the boss but when she realized that he's aware of the truth she just cried and wanted to kill herself.....
Dazai has used many of the events that happened in his real life as the material for "No longer Human". Yozo is almost representing Dazai and his emotions. At the beginning of this episode, that guy also talks about the similarities between Dazai's real life and Yozo's life.

Great series so far. Best anime of this season in my opinion.

Nov 2, 2009 11:41 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
hikky said:
francismeunier said:
tsubasalover said:
francismeunier said:
francismeunier said:

Shroomie said:
Maybe I interpreted the episode wrong....

I saw it as his wife being raped by his boss. Afterwards, when Yozo accused her of sleeping with him so his manga would sell, she committed suicide out of shame. I mean, it's possible that she might not speak against him to deny it. She's very obedient and quiet around him.

She even asks him, "why didn't you stop him?" and when he accuses her of prostituting herself, she looks utterly shocked.
kokuro said:
I don't know where the confusion comes from. He Did Kill himself by taking pills he bought from that drug store (the same one as the one that the first girl bought pills from in the first episode). His wife was not raped and it's true that she did sexual favors for the boss because Yo had started drawing that monster again and it wouldn't sell. She was just lying there quietly and that's not rape. She was hoping that he'd interpret it as rape when she asked him why he hadn't stopped the boss but when she realized that he's aware of the truth she just cried and wanted to kill herself.....
Dazai has used many of the events that happened in his real life as the material for "No longer Human". Yozo is almost representing Dazai and his emotions. At the beginning of this episode, that guy also talks about the similarities between Dazai's real life and Yozo's life.

Great series so far. Best anime of this season in my opinion.

I love reading all of your opinions! thanks :)

The rape was very shocking to see and really got to me. It was extremely sad.

What a well done anime. More people need to watch this.
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 3, 2009 12:02 AM

Jul 2008
so what happened to the other woman with the daughter? and his current wife was sleeping with his boss so he could get work?
either way hes gone
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Nov 3, 2009 3:18 AM

Jul 2009
After reading this thread, I have the certain feeling no one really understood the anime...especially what happened between his wife and him....

ralphy0103 said:
francismeunier said:

No it is certainly not because he lost faith in his wife at that moment. It was only the huge shock at that moment that came to his mind. Only later he realized that his wife has been sleeping with his boss the whole time.

Like that bar woman said later in the episode, the main character is in fact a very innocent and naive one. His wife, who previously saved him from losing himself, is the pure goddess in his eyes. "Snow white" should be how he sees his wife. This is emphasized when he hears the news of his father's death and says alls lost but he still has his wife. At the time he finds out his wife sleeps with someone else, that image is destroyed and he indeed lost everything (his "normal" life), hence why the inability to act.
Shroomie said:
"Why didnt you stop him?"
If you are referring to 15:02" then she actually said something more like: "why didn't you save him?" That "him" does not refer to the boss who sleeps with his wife, but it refers to his friend who is about to join the army that night. His wife is asking him to stop the man from joining the army.
kokuro said:
I don't know where the confusion comes from. ... His wife was not raped and it's true that she did sexual favors for the boss because Yo had started drawing that monster again and it wouldn't sell.
It is not only his monster manga, but all hiis other mangas dont sell either. That's why his wife sleeps with the boss. It is a complete shame for her, but she endears her husband too much to confront him with reality.

The fact his wife sleeping with another man is fatal for the protagonist to believe he has failed as human, but it is not because he thinks she cheated him or brought shame on him. no. It is more about him realizing his own failure (naive):
his own failure to earn enough money, to sell his own mangas; and his incapability to understand the society, his naivety, which even neglected his own wife.

I will admit, making a classic literature story into an anime is just wrong. Even though the anime might not have done justice to the story, which obviously leads audience into wrong conclusion (like believing its all fault of his father), but this is obviously a story with huge critic on the whole society of that time (almost every single aspect of it) ~
Nov 3, 2009 5:25 AM

Jun 2007
Going on your #1 anime choice, I doubt you're Yoda, Mr. Sage.

A quick Wiki search and I noticed there was no mention of the lead's wife being raped, or the lead killing himself. In fact, it says the lead moves somewhere isolated.

"Third Memorandum - Several years later, Ōba is expelled from University and falls into a relationship with a young and naïve woman. Ōba stops drinking and things seem to work out well until Horiki shows up, turning Ōba to self-destructivity again. Feeling distant from his wife, Ōba is once again driven to the verge of committing suicide, but unable to do so, he becomes an alcoholic and a morphine addict. He is eventually interned in a mental institution, and, upon release, moves to an isolated place, concluding the story with numb self-reflection."
AironicallyHumanNov 3, 2009 6:01 AM
Nov 3, 2009 6:13 AM

Jul 2009
Aionic said:
Going on your #1 anime choice, I doubt you're Yoda, Mr. Sage.

A quick Wiki search and I noticed there was no mention of the lead's wife being raped, or the lead killing himself. In fact, it says the lead moves somewhere isolated.
No my name isn't Yoda but I am quite interested in how you find out that base on my "#1 anime choice". Maybe you know what animes Mr Yoda watched? :D
And IF that 2nd line is directed @me as well:
I beg your pardon? Did I mention or suggest anything about his wife being raped??
Or maybe I suggested something you are still too young to understand? Then my bad... :D
Nov 3, 2009 7:27 AM

Oct 2009
vinesage said:
After reading this thread, I have the certain feeling no one really understood the anime...especially what happened between his wife and him....

It was quite confusing vinesage but you made it clear for me and I thank you again. It is another reason why I like discussing with you things.
ralphy0103 said:
francismeunier said:

vinesage said:
No it is certainly not because he lost faith in his wife at that moment. It was only the huge shock at that moment that came to his mind. Only later he realized that his wife has been sleeping with his boss the whole time.

He realized after seeing this a second time because he was foolish about realizing why his work was selling so well but why was he ignorant of this? Was it because he had illusions when working on the manga that made him not in reality with himself?
vinesage said:
Like that bar woman said later in the episode, the main character is in fact a very innocent and naive one. His wife, who previously saved him from losing himself, is the pure goddess in his eyes. "Snow white" should be how he sees his wife. This is emphasized when he hears the news of his father's death and says alls lost but he still has his wife. At the time he finds out his wife sleeps with someone else, that image is destroyed and he indeed lost everything (his "normal" life), hence why the inability to act.

Yes, that was also in my thoughts but then why did he save her and commit a double suicide with her again but this time succeed in it? The guide Sakai Masato in the beginning said that it was Yamazaki Tomoe.
Shroomie said:

vinesage said:
"Why didnt you stop him?"
If you are referring to 15:02" then she actually said something more like: "why didn't you save him?" That "him" does not refer to the boss who sleeps with his wife, but it refers to his friend who is about to join the army that night. His wife is asking him to stop the man from joining the army.

I though his wife said "why did you not save me?" was that a bad translation vinesage?
kokuro said:
I don't know where the confusion comes from. ... His wife was not raped and it's true that she did sexual favors for the boss because Yo had started drawing that monster again and it wouldn't sell.

vinesage said:
It is not only his monster manga, but all hiis other mangas dont sell either. That's why his wife sleeps with the boss. It is a complete shame for her, but she endears her husband too much to confront him with reality.

I wonder how did she agree to this even when she was married to him? Did she have no security for his finances? He could have taken her into his father's place and live off his allowance but I think his father did not even know about his marriage to her.
vinesage said:
The fact his wife sleeping with another man is fatal for the protagonist to believe he has failed as human, but it is not because he thinks she cheated him or brought shame on him. no. It is more about him realizing his own failure (naive):
his own failure to earn enough money, to sell his own mangas; and his incapability to understand the society, his naivety, which even neglected his own wife.

That is too vinesage, if he would have came back to his father, it would not have happened like that. He was illusional perhaps?
vinesage said:
I will admit, making a classic literature story into an anime is just wrong. Even though the anime might not have done justice to the story, which obviously leads audience into wrong conclusion (like believing its all fault of his father), but this is obviously a story with huge critic on the whole society of that time (almost every single aspect of it) ~

It did show a good example of one persons' mistakes and consequences that he has to live with.

Nov 3, 2009 8:41 AM

Jun 2008
Last episode? Zetsuboushita! D:

In the flashback, that train almost hit him. :-X

"Are you a virgin?" lololol. Such a great way to make a proposal.

I'm not sure if I got what happened between Yoshiko and Yozo's boss.
I thought that his boss raped her, she was crying after all, and she later asked him "why didn't you save me?". Yozo was way too shocked when he saw that scene, and maybe he lost faith in her, that's why he didn't run after the rapist and helped her.

So, after several suicide attempts, I guess he finally died (or maybe he's in a coma, after taking some medicine or poison) and reunited with his moster. I wonder if he'll be able to find peace with death, I wonder. He seemed quite relaxed. So he prefers the company of his inner monster than being with women, because they bring out the worst of him and/or they usually end up disappointing him? Kinda appropriate ending.

Best quotes: "I fail as a human" & "He was as wonderful as a God".

Can't wait for the 5th episode. Tite Kubo is next, ne?
RenaPsychoKillerNov 3, 2009 8:54 AM

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Nov 3, 2009 8:54 AM

Mar 2009
What a weird end =P
And Yozo's charlatan friend is going to army O.o xD
Well, it was a good -real- story.
I can't wait to see next. ^^
Nov 3, 2009 9:58 AM

Jul 2009
francismeunier said:
vinesage said:

He realized after seeing this a second time because he was foolish about realizing why his work was selling so well but why was he ignorant of this? Was it because he had illusions when working on the manga that made him not in reality with himself?
Well, I cant tell if he has illusion while drawing those mangas, but I think he never really gives thoughts on that matter anyway. For him, it is naturally to assume the mangas sell well because he can draw well, which is what people told him and what he said so himself in earlier episodes.
Plus how I understand it is that, even his appearance may look “mature” and he may be intelligent, but his behavior more or less resembles that a premature boy who doesn’t understand how people interact in society. After proposed to the girl, he wanted to rent the whole house to live together with her, even though he had no income at all at that time. I think when the girl asked if it is really ok, he said all will be good if his mangas sell. He had, base on whichever reason, firm trust in his own manga: a sign of naivety. I think one can also say he doesn’t live in the reality just like a normal little boy doesnt.

“Yes, that was also in my thoughts but then why did he save her and commit a double suicide with her again but this time succeed in it? “
because it is not his wife’s fault but his own fault. As I understand It, it was him who “forced” his wife to sleep with another man because there is no other option left for her. His wife loves him and doesn’t want to tell him the sad truth (his mangas don’t sell). But they need the money and his boss very likely offered that option to her.

“The guide Sakai Masato in the beginning said that it was Yamazaki Tomoe.”
Cant remember what the 3D dude said again so cant tell who is who anymore …

“I though his wife said "why did you not save me?" was that a bad translation vinesage?”
Well, if it is translated into "why didn't you stop him?" that was basically the same thing as I understood it. But you might want someone else to confirm on that one. :-)

“I wonder how did she agree to this even when she was married to him? Did she have no security for his finances? He could have taken her into his father's place and live off his allowance but I think his father did not even know about his marriage to her.”
Well, I am not so sure what the wife could have thought. How I see it is that she loves him, and it seems he loves drawing his mangas. Knowing that his mangas don’t sell, or at least not enough to rent the whole house, there are the options left for her: either to stop him from what he is, to tell him to stop drawing and get some other work, or the option to keep him as what he is and sleeps with the boss~ If she really loves him much as what he is, it shouldn’t be hard to choose for the 2nd option.

vinesage said:

“That is too vinesage, if he would have came back to his father, it would not have happened like that. He was illusional perhaps?”
That’s exactly like admitting to his own failure if he went back to his father. He wants to prove to his father he is independent and can live on his own like a human do (behavior of a adolescent teenage boy). The news that his father died is heavy hit for him plus the truth behind his selling manga, even his friend left him for the army, so it might not be hard to imagine how it would end.

francismeunier said:
vinesage said:

It did show a good example of one persons' mistakes and consequences that he has to live with.
Well, that’s the point I think it is trying to get: it is not described as his fault but the fault of japan’s society at that time. He is only naïve. He does what people tell him to do, or what people expect from him but that always turns out to be “wrong”, so he runs to the women who can understand him because they, as it is hinted, also suffered from the same fate as him. well, I wouldn’t interpret too much into it since it is an adaption only, but, as you say, it is indeed a good opportunity to get to know some japanese classic works.
Nov 3, 2009 12:00 PM

Sep 2008
Yozo Oba new meaning of "Zetsubou-sense" IMO xD
"In 2009, in a survey asking its respondents "which manga do you think is the most interesting?" in a pool of 6000, Kuso Miso Technique came at 11th, beating popular manga such as Gintama and Detective Conan." Wiki
Nov 3, 2009 1:16 PM

May 2009
Am I the only one, who thinks Yozo's actions and reactions are completely comprehensible and plausible?
Am I the only one, who thinks Yozo is not a failure as a human, but rather a (sad) product of that so-called "society"?
Am I the only one, who thinks this anime (so far) is a true gem among the shows of the Fall Season?

Vinesage depicted many parts of the story quite well.

francismeunier said:
Those "illusions" (if you like to call them illusions) are not the cause - they are a product.
Like vinesage said, Yozo trusted in his artistic skills. It was the first thing, that ever made him earn some money; the first thing that helped him set foot in society. His wife gave him the strength to believe in himself, which made him feel "everything" were possible.
As shown later on, it was a naive thought. But I still think, it wasn't his own fault. He just thought he could finally escape his anxieties and depression.

francismeunier said:
I wonder how did she agree to this even when she was married to him? Did she have no security for his finances? He could have taken her into his father's place and live off his allowance but I think his father did not even know about his marriage to her.
Think about the relationship Yozo had with his father. His father saw him as a "failure of a human", since he couldn't even make a living. That's why there was no way for Yozo to face his dad. Those mangas were his first chance to actually gain some attention and respect from his father.
Also, the words "Trust me" Yozo said to his wife when he decided to buy that house, probably had a big impact on her later on, since she truly loved him and didn't want to break his newly acquired self-trust.

francismeunier said:
That is too vinesage, if he would have came back to his father, it would not have happened like that. He was illusional perhaps?
Same thing as above + what vinesage said

francismeunier said:
vinesage said:
Well, that’s the point I think it is trying to get: it is not described as his fault but the fault of japan’s society at that time.
This. Yozo never actually comitted a "mistake". He is just a product of society. It's almost impossible for him to socialize with the people who surround him (mostly due to the things, that happend in his childhood) and therefore he descends into drinking, smoking and whoring in order to forget all those events and complicacies.

Overall it was an awesome story. It's been a long time since I saw such a realistic anime. I'm glad I started watching this, it definitly deserves a high score in my opinion.
Looking forward to the next story (:
SaviuzNov 3, 2009 1:44 PM
Nov 3, 2009 2:25 PM

Apr 2007
still very impressed of the art

the only thing he wanted was that his father recognized him.
but thinking that he was a failure in rl made it all that hard
and after finally finding the thing that he could do (art) and his wife whom he saw as a goddess, both were untrue made him collapse.

so he's thinking himself as a burden (what was confirmed by the old man in the end before he left the room) and the only thing that can make things up is for him to die.

and the same thing with the red umbrella and the white snow (contrast)
and as we know red is for blood. you could then see that she wouldl be the reason for his death

thats my point of view :P

btw: when i saw her go down and the boss being there
i had a feeling that she was sad (it even looked like she was going to run away) but she was fking walking like nothing happened, thats when i had the feeling that shes just a bitch. so this is sex against her will but no rape (A)
Nov 3, 2009 3:54 PM

Feb 2009
You gotta shitting me right! That mother fucker would be so freaking dead!
Two guys saw it and none of them did squat. If Horiki gonna kill people all over the world he could start right here and now -_-
Nov 3, 2009 5:32 PM

Aug 2007
Depressing ending to a depressing story. Youzou was so pathetic. It was hard watching him fall so far. I assumed he died. Ah well, can't say I wasn't expecting it.
Nov 4, 2009 12:34 AM

Sep 2009
Saviuz said:
Am I the only one, who thinks Yozo is not a failure as a human, but rather a (sad) product of that so-called "society"?
Am I the only one, who thinks this anime (so far) is a true gem among the shows of the Fall Season?

Not the only one i think that too.For sure Yozo would have been less affected if ppl would just stop calling him a 'Lady killer'-you can feel the pain from his face when anyone calls him that.If only his ex woudnt tell him to push her i think yozo wudnt feel that guilty.
Oh i think this is one of the two favs of this season.

francismeunier said:
I wonder how did she agree to this even when she was married to him?

She didnt want to she had to, to keep yozo happy.Yozo wanted to earn money to feel humanity within himself and yoshiko wanted yozo to have that feeling...this shows how much she moves him.i feel bad for her now.

francismeunier said:

i am guessing a thought like this woudnt even cross his mind as they were like a very happy couple.
vinesage said:

you have said the perfect words...yoshiko wasnt raped even yozo understood that at the very first sight of the scene.He didnt even ask yoshiko why did you sleep with the boss,the wife was shocked when he realized the situation all by himself.
basically he wanted to earn as a man and have a perfect family, when that destroyed guess he reached his breaking point.

So how are we so sure yozos dead? because if hes dead the monster should leave him rite?isnt that why he wants to suicide to release the monster he is? i am guessing hes in a drugged state where hes numb, feels nothing around him and his mind surrounded with thoughts.The last part with the moster scene must be him being in a saturated drug state not because hes dead i believe.
Nov 4, 2009 9:53 AM

Jan 2009
Yoshiko's a nice girl : >
No! D: Damn it! She was.. Noo D':
And.. Noo! D:
What is this!?
Now I went all sadface D:

I'm actually happy for him, that he was allowed to die at last o.O

Oh and btw, just because I'm curious, what was this:

I can't seem to manage putting whatever it is into something I know of O.o

Anyway this was one awesome story, although sad and stuff at times, and I think I'll most likely read the book if I find it somewhere : p

Also I am wondering how they'll fit 5 (if I didn't misinterpret the synopsis) stories into the last 8 episodes O.o
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 4, 2009 10:41 AM

Dec 2007
kokuro said:
She was hoping that he'd interpret it as rape when she asked him why he hadn't stopped the boss but when she realized that he's aware of the truth she just cried and wanted to kill herself.

Ah...I hadn't read that far into it, very helpful. If you hadn't pointed that out I wouldn't have fully understood the episode, thank you. Kind of an essential in understanding this episode actually.

kokuro said:
His wife was not raped and it's true that she did sexual favors for the boss because Yo had started drawing that monster again and it wouldn't sell. She was just lying there quietly and that's not rape.

And I might as well quote it again because people keep bringing it up. There were actually two short lines of dialogue that explained this indirectly (bad subtitles may have caused the confusion for some).
DunkyNov 4, 2009 10:45 AM
Nov 4, 2009 1:24 PM

Oct 2008
Well, crap. xD
Good series to watch and all, even if I didn't understand a good portion of it. Kept me interested.
Yoshiko D: A little confused if she was raped or not, but that rapist guy was out xD Half way down the street and everything.
Glad Yozo just off himself because he was getting really depressing.
Nov 4, 2009 1:26 PM

Aug 2008
Vinesage explained it all, so I'll just say that I didn't like the episode. They took all of the exposition and rising action, and undercut it with this timeskip at the beginning. I couldn't begin to care about what went on in this epsiode because Youzou reeked of delusion. We got no sense of what happened to the journalist and her kid, and we saw the courtship after knowing they were married.

It was just bad. I've never seen a show chop itself off at the legs so abruptly. Honestly, this arc could have been a great 11 or 12 episode show that would have really done wonderful things. Oh well.
Nov 4, 2009 1:33 PM

Apr 2008
Oosran said:

The end of the streetcar tracks?
Nov 4, 2009 1:48 PM

Jan 2009
Plate said:
Oosran said:

Oh I see.. well, haven't really seen any such things ever before, so I wouldn't know, I guess o.O Makes sense though I suppose now that you mention it
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 4, 2009 8:31 PM

Apr 2009
i just finished all of No Longer Human.. it's an interesting and good story but it made me feel bad.. oh well.. that should be expected with a main char like that..

a little off topic but i notice mamiko noto is all around having more voice acting roles this season.. and now even this.. oh well..
Nov 5, 2009 9:06 AM

Sep 2008
The story makes me sad. I am happy that the guy finally got what he wanted.

thx 2 Rinjii 4 d sigy^^
Nov 5, 2009 9:54 AM

Sep 2009
Oosran said:
Plate said:
Oosran said:

Oh I see.. well, haven't really seen any such things ever before, so I wouldn't know, I guess o.O Makes sense though I suppose now that you mention it

maybe its an escalator....he he....i swear thats the first thing that came in my mind..
noteDhero said:

We got no sense of what happened to the journalist and her kid.
Honestly, this arc could have been a great 11 or 12 episode show that would have really done wonderful things.

Oh i completely forgot abt the the journalist and the kid!!----i want to know because the journalist was kind of wierd..wonder what happened to the kid.
Agreed; 4 eps for a novel is just to less...hence they fail to explain or show details which are highly required by ppl whom they keep in a state of "non- understood delimma"
ValentilnNov 5, 2009 10:00 AM
Nov 5, 2009 2:12 PM

Apr 2009
I love this anime so much. I will read the book as soon as I will get it.
Everyone has discussed everything I wanted to discuss, so no idea for it. Hope for the rest stories to be as good. The next story seems to be beautiful.
But will all stories fit in? Have to be some mistake with 11 eps. Aoi bungaku series. Hope there will be more. Like akai.
Nov 5, 2009 7:05 PM

Jan 2009
No wonder this book was called No Longer Human, what a pathetic excuse of human trash, he just couldn't get over his weakness and therefore he just gave up at the end, not like the story was all that appealing to me anyway, but with these kind of characters is just ridiculous. This first book sucked fucking horrible balls, I was yawning the whole 4 episodes, I hope the next plot will be somewhat more interesting than this, surely the animation is top notch, but take out the plot and you just have a mindless artwork.

I've readed a synopsis of Hell Scream, so I guess that one will be definetly interesting.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Nov 5, 2009 8:33 PM

May 2009
I've been wondering if Yozo's boss was screwing is wife more than once while he stayed up in his room drawing manga. Even if Yozo was pathetic I felt pretty bad for him. Dudes pretty insane. The whole second half of the ep was more depressing than 5cm per second for me.

Just hope the next adaption isn't as depressing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.