Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 6:57 AM
Jul 2023
I don't really understand the logic behind paid streaming services like Netflix or Crunchyroll. Why would someone subscribe to a platform to watch an anime or show they could watch for free online? What's the reasoning behind paying for something you could access for free? Can anyone explain the rationale behind this?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 7:04 AM

Sep 2016
Some people want to support the industry with their money, that's it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 11, 7:08 AM

Mar 2021
... Because pirating is illegal?

You could apply that logic to anything lol. Like why don't we just steal everything instead of paying because it's free? Cuz it's fucking illegal to do lol.

I'm not gonna condemn pirating cuz streaming services for anime (and in general) are ass and a fucking scam currently, and it is much more convenient, money aside, to pirate shows. I pirate anime myself. But let's not act like we aren't doing anything wrong either lol. Pirating is illegal and not the morally correct choice, hence why one should pay for what they watch. It's just that streaming services are such a mess that it isn't worth paying money to them right now. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "pirating is a service problem," and I agree with that. Until streaming services get their act together and offer not just an affordable but also a quality viewing experience Imma keep sailing the seven seas, moral or not.

Basically you should pay for what you watch, pirating is illegal. But streaming services, especially for anime, suck and you get better quality for less by pirating.
Apr 11, 7:11 AM

Dec 2021
My tastes are just too exotic to every justify getting my anime from anywhere other than the funny catgirl site, like only three of my top ten are even streamable. I'd go as far as to say that significantly less than 25% of all my completed anime is streamable. What else can I do? Git gud at Japanese and import potentially bitrotted laserdiscs just to watch my obscure stuff? If I could, though, I probably would instead stash the CR money to instead spend it on the manga directly for every anime I end up loving. Support the artist, rather than throw money into a bucket that gets divvied out to people you don't care as much about, with only a small fraction actually going where you want it to go, and the rest probably going places you'd rather it not go.

EDIT: Did the math (It was painful), and exactly 60% of my completed anime list is stuff that's not licensed anywhere in the west for streaming. I was off by a good bit, but the hard numbers don't lie, I really do watch more unstreamable anime than streamable, and being limited to what's streamable would be limiting enough to make me lose interest in anime.
Daviljoe193Apr 11, 7:59 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 11, 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
Watching free is illegal, many sites are banned bacause of this but there is much abundance of watching anime for free.

Anime can be free in youtube channel as well like in Muse Asia.

It is a platform to watch which contribute funds to the studio and provides anime worldwide with your money.

Also many illegal websites record anime from crunchyroll and have them running adds.

Apr 11, 7:22 AM

Feb 2021
Don't ask me I watch my anime on youtube these days. Legally and for free too.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 11, 7:33 AM

Nov 2023
Because they don't know or don't wanna deal with sketchy websites, viruses and pop ups, May not be for this medium but for shows in general yeah.

those free YT channels were sort of limited in variety also.
Apr 11, 7:38 AM
Oct 2019
I can tell you as someone who do both. It's more convenient on my 55" tv to watch on Crunchyroll that open my laptop just for torrent. I don't want to bug casting something on my tv if I can have it conveniently on my tv. I watch anime for relaxation. Also I say if you are not supporting your hobbies then why you choose it?
Apr 11, 8:04 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Ratris_Decision
Because they don't know or don't wanna deal with sketchy websites, viruses and pop ups, May not be for this medium but for shows in general yeah.

those free YT channels were sort of limited in variety also.
@Ratris_Decision sounds like a good idea. Mate. That is why I don't pirate.
Apr 11, 8:23 AM

May 2021
ease of use really—I can just add apps like crunchyroll, Netflix, and hidive to my appletv and off I go

was the same when I watched anime mostly on my iPad

Apr 11, 8:29 AM

Jul 2021
97653222333 said:
something you could access for free

Are you talking about pirate sites? Or officially-licensed sites and YouTube channels that partnered with anime producers/rights owners?

I normally avoid discussions about piracy, but the question of why anyone would (not "should", would) pay for anime instead of pirating it just hurts my brain. You pay for the thing you get.
Apr 11, 8:30 AM

Jan 2022
Because people think they support the industry by paying for Crunchyroll and Netflix. Which they don't. Japan doesn't need Crunchyroll or Netflix, not necessarily. Neither do anime watchers. Crunchyroll and Netflix only exist to give pozzed translations and prevent accurate fansubs. If these companies die, we will only get better translations.
Apr 11, 8:45 AM

Jun 2016
Does OP really think that studios just make anime out of the goodness of their hearts?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 11, 8:55 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to LenRea
Because people think they support the industry by paying for Crunchyroll and Netflix. Which they don't. Japan doesn't need Crunchyroll or Netflix, not necessarily. Neither do anime watchers. Crunchyroll and Netflix only exist to give pozzed translations and prevent accurate fansubs. If these companies die, we will only get better translations.
@LenRea I support this message. It's the same in video-games as well.
Apr 11, 8:57 AM

Nov 2017
Because it's easy, pretty and safe.

plz @ me
Apr 11, 9:00 AM

Jan 2009
The streaming market increased dramatically in 2020 by 35.8% year-on-year, with a total value of 93 billion yen (about US$817 million by 2021 conversion), and was also the only market segment to see growth. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-12-18/aja-anime-industry-grew-by-6.8-percent-in-2022/.205649

streaming market will reach 50% share of their profit sooner or later
Apr 11, 9:53 AM

Dec 2017
Muse Asia region blocked Slime Isekai S2 part 2 during its initial release (It's already unblocked this year). Everyone else except SEA region probably watched it through there. Hence, sail the seven seas it is for most of us who do not use Netflix or Crunchy Roll.
Apr 11, 3:12 PM

Oct 2017
The reason people pay for it is really for having a legal option of streaming Japanese anime, since Crunchyroll unfortunately has an effective monopoly on the distribution of Japanese animation after they bought out FUNimation and Rightstuf Anime. They are a pretty shit service though since their catalogue is heavily restricted based on what region you live, so if you're European or Australian, you are kind of fucked when it comes to legal streaming as Crunchyroll just doesn't stream most of their shit there despite owning the rights, and with little competition they have very little incentive to improve their services. They're not even that great of a company either as they heavily underpay their translation teams and refuse to even give their translators credit most of the time which hurts their careers. They've also been called out for union-busting practices by some of their voice talent for their dubs, with the whole Kyle McCarley situation back from before Mob Psycho Season 3 got dubbed. Unfortunately, in spite of all this shit, for most people Crunchyroll is effectively the only option to stream most Japanese anime legally so we are kinda forced to deal with their bullshit unless you engage in piracy which is probably a better alternative with all these shitty practices. To quote Gabe Newell "Piracy isn't a pricing problem, it's a service problem" and Crunchyroll has effectively destroyed any competition they have allowing them to get away with anti-consumer practices while continuing to hurt their own employees, both leading to a worse service for viewers.
LSSJ_GamingApr 11, 3:53 PM
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 11, 3:43 PM

Jun 2019
I pirate everything, but I see no purpose behind grilling those who make use of paid services, because from a selfish perspective, it's better for me if more people do and regularly pay lots of money to said services and other companies or merchandise in some way supporting the anime industry, so why would I care if other people spend money that's directed toward this? That's a good thing! Because then those not paying indirectly benefit as well (I know a lot of money doesn't go to the actual studio, let alone the immediate frontline staff, but just speaking in generalities here). And I don't have extra money (or much at all in the first place) to spend.
WatchTillTandavaApr 11, 3:49 PM
Apr 11, 3:46 PM

Dec 2022
Can't speak for everyone, but it's likely that some apprehension of the perceived difficulties and risks of piracy come into play here. Sketchy online activites are often conflated with similarly sketchy infringements on your devices, information and online security. Of course, you're just as likely to run into threats like those on "official" websites that are plastered in malicious pop-up ads, banner ads, and predatory subscription services; but they're still largely seen as trustworthy despite that, because of their easily accessible and legal nature, even if they ultimately care not for the experience of their userbase. Piracy is, for the most part, a symbolic law that countries (aside from exceptions like Germany) generally don't bother enforcing on individual downloaders, especially when it would be more productive to go after distributors and scene groups. And you're unlikely to be tripping over viruses and malware with piracy if you're more prudent about it than just hopping on a search engine, typing in "free downl00adzz" and then clicking on every search result on the first three pages.

No doubt some have their own, personal moral codes that preclude them from using unofficial or illegal means to procure anime too, but I'm not convinced that's the primary reason for most people.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 11, 4:10 PM

Jan 2021
why do you ever buy groceries if you can steal them?

stealing is the goat fr
Apr 11, 4:12 PM

Sep 2008
I thought you wanted info on the company...? guess not.
when you pay crunchyroll, you support crunchyroll. not anime, or anything japanese.
they will use your money to fund stuff like this:
people just want to think they're doing the morally right thing, and fall for false advertisement.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Apr 11, 4:26 PM

Mar 2023
Because:
- convenience
- I also use a tv sometimes and this makes it easier
- the price is quite low for my income

Also, if it's this easy, might as support animes. In return you might get better stuff to watch

For whoever said money outside of Japan doesn't matter, in 2023, internal market was 49.8% of anime industry income (1.5 trillion yen) almost equal to Japan's own market: https://aja.gr.jp/english/japan-anime-data
watsymApr 11, 4:55 PM
Apr 11, 6:51 PM

Jan 2021
Ease of access. Whether we like it or not, Crunchyroll is the big name in the western anime industry. This means that most people are going to go here first (after Netflix) if they want to get into anime, and even those who have been watching anime for a while may use it simply because it's the easiest. Literally just throw it up on any device, and you have anime to watch. Most people, or at least those who aren't as deep into hobbies of any kind, don't really want to bother with pirating, whether it be streaming or torrenting.

For all intents and purposes, if you have Crunchyroll you probably won't need to worry about other services for a while because they have a lot of anime. But there's also a lot they don't have, so really it's up to the individual if they want to pay or not.

With all that said, if you're gonna spend money on anime, at least spend it on something you can own (BDs/DVDs), even if you have to throw money at Crunchyroll anyway. I don't know how much of that makes it back into the industry vs. ordering the vastly more expensive BDs from Japan, but at least you'll have something that you can use for as long as you have something that functions as a dvd player.
AcctraApr 11, 6:55 PM

Apr 11, 7:00 PM

Nov 2011
So apparently Crunchyroll defrauded its customers for the Miku expo 2024. They were promised a full on hologram and an immersive experience. Instead, all they were given was a 50 inch Led tv. People are not happy.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 11, 7:09 PM

Feb 2021
I find funny how anime pirates have to rely on other people paying for anime so they themselves can have anime to watch.
If no one paid for anime, the industry would be dead, simple as that.

LenRea said:
Except that's not true, as CR literally produces anime, and even anime studio CEOs have said that the fact that the industry has become more global, means more money coming for them.
Instead of being restricted to just JP companies paying for anime, you now have a whole international market generating money for you.

But I guess to anime pirates this international market only makes them $0...

Shizuna said:
I support this message. It's the same in video-games as well.
You support misinformation, got it...

nyugvo6 said:
when you pay crunchyroll, you support crunchyroll. not anime, or anything japanese
Saying that while you literally enjoy anime produced by CR is crazy.

I like how anime pirates completely ignore the over 100 actual anime that they have helped produced, and only talk about one western animated show that was created 5 years ago...
Apr 11, 9:09 PM

Jun 2007
I started paying for streaming because the pirate scene stopped providing anything better than legal options for ongoing/seasonal anime. After fansubs died out in the early 2010s, and fan-edits of official subs largely died out in the mid-10s, pirated anime was just "the same thing as legal anime, except FOR FREE." And streaming legally saves me the hassle of downloading increasingly-bloated files and storing them on increasingly-shaky external hard drives -- I don't care to patronize bootleg streaming sites that profit from the work of the anime industry and the fansubbing/ripping scene.

fyrflys said:
It's just that streaming services are such a mess that it isn't worth paying money to them right now. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "pirating is a service problem," and I agree with that. Until streaming services get their act together and offer not just an affordable but also a quality viewing experience Imma keep sailing the seven seas, moral or not.

Anime piracy (in well-served areas like the US) maybe used to be a service problem, when the pirated versions had subjectively-better downloaded fansubs (roughly) during the JP broadcasts, and the legal versions were physical-media-only and came out years afterward. But now, pirates generally consume the same shows, with the same subtitles, and with the same or worse video quality than the legal versions. Aside from regional unavailability, the biggest difference is "free vs. not free" -- a pricing problem.

Daviljoe193 said:
If I could, though, I probably would instead stash the CR money to instead spend it on the manga directly for every anime I end up loving. Support the artist, rather than throw money into a bucket that gets divvied out to people you don't care as much about, with only a small fraction actually going where you want it to go, and the rest probably going places you'd rather it not go.

What about anime-originals that have no manga, like this show that you rated a 9? Buying manga also throws money into a "bucket" shared by rights-holders and publishers before it gets to the manga author, let alone anyone involved with the anime.

Daviljoe193 said:
Did the math (It was painful), and exactly 60% of my completed anime list is stuff that's not licensed anywhere in the west for streaming. I was off by a good bit, but the hard numbers don't lie, I really do watch more unstreamable anime than streamable, and being limited to what's streamable would be limiting enough to make me lose interest in anime.

How does subscribing to one or more streaming services limit you to watching what's "streamable"?

You speak of your love for "boomer anime," presumably including this Winter 2003 series that you rated fairly well and is also a pet favorite of mine. Back in 2006, I spent the equivalent of ~$110 in today's money to buy it on DVD, and that amount would easily pay for a year's streaming subscription. So based on the hard, truthful numbers, I have a hard time seeing the current landscape as unaffordable.

LSSJ_Gaming said:
Crunchyroll unfortunately has an effective monopoly on the distribution of Japanese animation after they bought out FUNimation and Rightstuf Anime. [...] They're not even that great of a company either as they heavily underpay their translation teams and refuse to even give their translators credit most of the time which hurts their careers. They've also been called out for union-busting practices by some of their voice talent for their dubs, with the whole Kyle McCarley situation back from before Mob Psycho Season 3 got dubbed.

What if I told you that there are streaming sites out there that profit from CR's translations and dubs, and don't pay anything at all to the translators or VAs? Surely you'd be even more against them, right?

It was Sony that bought Funi, then CR, then Rightstuf, then folded it all into the CR name. And it was anime viewers that wanted a monopoly, because they adamantly refused to pay for multiple subscriptions to support a multipolar anime streaming ecosystem -- they wanted as much as possible in one place, for as low a price as possible. Same with union dubs: if anime viewers truly valued them, they should've spent enough on the shows they pirated and enjoyed to keep companies like Geneon, Bandai, Rightstuf/Nozomi, and Media-Blasters alive and/or healthy enough to afford to make dubs outside of Texas.

LenRea said:
So why would the anime industry upend their workflow for licensing/streaming deals they don't care about? It certainly seems like IG / Wit's George Wada cares about them.

If there were a fansubbing scene ready to take over if these companies shut down or stop licensing anime, why don't we currently get good and timely translations for things like OVAs and specials that don't get legally streamed? For example, I recently watched this episode, which was not subbed in English until 6 years after it came out, and the subs were Google Translations of Russian subs with minor cleanup -- coherent enough to understand what was going on, but not good by any means.

nyugvo6 said:
when you pay crunchyroll, you support crunchyroll. not anime, or anything japanese. They will use your money to fund stuff like this:

If you want to nurse culture-war grievances from 6 years ago, that's your business. But if I'm reading this right, is CR actually a legal pirate site that operates in the open and bamboozles Japan into letting them stream their shows for free and keep all the profits for themselves, but still maintains a lesser selection than other pirate sites just to keep up an elaborate ruse? You'd think after a decade and a half, Japanese companies (none of which took any legal action against CR over HGS!) would've realized they were being conned.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 11, 9:22 PM

Mar 2021
97653222333 said:
I don't really understand the logic behind paid streaming services like Netflix or Crunchyroll. Why would someone subscribe to a platform to watch an anime or show they could watch for free online? What's the reasoning behind paying for something you could access for free? Can anyone explain the rationale behind this?

There is quite a few reasons why. Just to list a few...

Paid streaming services operate legally. Platforms like Netflix and Crunchyroll actually license the Anime they offer. Users may prefer to use legal services to avoid the risks associated with piracy. Which can involve all sorts of things from a legal to ethical stand points to vulnerability of malicious pop ups. There are risks associated to content that is normally being charged to consume when it's being illegally offered for free.

Content quality is a good reason to pay for Anime. Anime that is usually streaming for free is basically just illegally ripped off Official streaming sites with no quality control. Practically all Illegal streaming sites copy files by illegally ripping them from Official streaming platforms then re-encode them to smaller sizes with an extreme loss of quality from the original files (This is done for faster buffering. With the false Perception of video files playing better on their illegal platforms). This entails loss of Visual and audio quality to visual artifacts. Illegal streaming usually hardcodes subtitles to the video files and adds an annoying and tacky watermark that is constantly on the screen simply to remind the viewer of the exact illegal site they are consuming the content from.

Content quality also entails reliability. There is no guarantee that any specific illegal streaming platform will stay around in the long term. Most pirated platforms only last on average around a year or two before they are shut down. Forcing these Anime Scrubs to suddenly scramble to find new places to get their stolen Anime fix from. This opens them up to more vulnerability to malware for each new site they might try to visit. There is also no guarantee that one day a specific illegal platform won't one day suddenly reform their malicious pop ups to more easily try to infect the devices a User might use to view their stolen content from either.

Paid streaming services are broadly convenient. Most of them are user-friendly, offer easy to use interfaces with no malicious pop ups. Some will even offer personalized recommendations and offer the ability to stream content on multiple devices.

Illegal streaming usually requires users to navigate through a cluttered website constantly dealing with malicious pop ups and even occasionally trying to force Users to download potentially unsafe software to force uploading malicious files onto Users devices without even the Users manually accepting them.

Subscribing to paid streaming services actually supports the industry. Like it or not Anime is an industry. Without it's existence, no one would be able to enjoy Anime in the West at all.

But the main reason is Just to not act like some bottom feeding leeching scrub. If you live your life as some bottom feeding leeching scrub, that's how you will likely be perceived as all throughout your life. Simply pay for Anime out of ones own dignity. If you can't afford to pay for what amounts to a single lunch at a fast food restaurant for a single month just to enjoy consuming Anime, you got bigger issues to worry about than trying to spend your time at all to even consume any type of media entertainment.

I always find it rich seeing Users on here who I know publicly admit they are bottom feeding leeching scrubs that consume all their Anime through piracy and then see them bitch and whine about the Anime they consume on this platform throughout multiple threads.
ColourWheelApr 11, 11:31 PM
Apr 11, 9:39 PM

Mar 2019
I don't pay for Crunchyroll because their service is shit, a lot of anime in their catalog aren't even available in my country's language, apart from the fact that they are from the rainbow troop.

I don't give 1 cent for that shit. ^^
Apr 11, 9:43 PM

Apr 2015
Always funny the same 3 people come out in full force to defend CR's honor lol.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 11, 10:24 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Tropisch
Always funny the same 3 people come out in full force to defend CR's honor lol.
@Tropisch Especially that one guy that put out a super reply to literally everybody. Honestly, I don't have the energy for the debatesters like him anyway.

EDIT: Removed a lot, because the response got way to personal. I'm just gonna unplug from this thread and move on, since I'm here to have fun, not deal with people fishing for guilt/anger.
Daviljoe193Apr 12, 2:40 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 11, 10:34 PM

Mar 2008
Convenience? Though really it's inconvenient with how they operate.
Apr 11, 10:34 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Zarutaku
Some people want to support the industry with their money, that's it.
@Zarutaku
They keep 99% of the money, the industry gets hardly anything.
If you wanted to support them, wait for the BDs or buy other merch.

Apr 11, 10:47 PM

Mar 2008
Zalis said:
It was Sony that bought Funi, then CR, then Rightstuf, then folded it all into the CR name. And it was anime viewers that wanted a monopoly, because they adamantly refused to pay for multiple subscriptions to support a multipolar anime streaming ecosystem -- they wanted as much as possible in one place, for as low a price as possible. Same with union dubs: if anime viewers truly valued them, they should've spent enough on the shows they pirated and enjoyed to keep companies like Geneon, Bandai, Rightstuf/Nozomi, and Media-Blasters alive and/or healthy enough to afford to make dubs outside of Texas.

No one wants a monopoly, what is wanted is to end the whole exclusive rights to streaming platforms thing. It's just a bad business model and bad for the consumer.
Apr 11, 10:49 PM

Dec 2021
Cheap, convenient, supports the New Woke Order, and 0% chance of viruses. 4 easy reasons I'm happy to chuck some money Crunchy's way for a couple of months each year.
Apr 11, 11:20 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to removed-user
@Zarutaku

@QPR Obviously license isn't just 1% of what Crunchyroll makes. They used to be transparent and say that it takes about half of the subscription to pay the license for what each viewer is watching.

Netflix hasn't been profitable despite having much more users and increasing the price like 5 times over recent years because of how much licenses cost. It's always been the main cost for streaming services (much more so than clound even)
Apr 11, 11:24 PM

Jun 2020
Crunchyroll also did not understand the logic because they were initially a pirate site as well, however the sponsors and branding eventually made them find out...
Apr 11, 11:52 PM
Sep 2014
That's like asking why people have to pay taxes... Without money a company or a country cannot run...
Apr 12, 12:53 AM
May 2023
I pay for Crunchyroll because it helps support the anime industry. I’m able to watch (and rewatch) any licensed anime I want, when I want. By watching through CR, I’m also supporting the release of physical media (blu-rays) that I can purchase for my favorite shows. Even licensed anime and manga won’t be available to stream or to purchase forever. I’m also supporting people’s jobs, from the dub voice actors to the script writers to the janitors. Without an income, businesses cut costs and lay people off.

Does CR have every anime I’d like to watch? No. But I watch what I can and I buy what I can, from them and from Japan.
Apr 12, 2:37 AM

Jun 2023
That's the thing, you shouldn't pay CR anything.
Apr 12, 3:13 AM

Dec 2014
Comfort. Sure I can watch a Netflix series for free on the internet, but is more comfortable to watch it on Netflix. First of all, most of us have Smart TVs those days, and while you can access illegal streaming services on it, it's quite a pain in the ass to deal with all the ads and pop-ups. In the rare occasion when a movie is not available on any of the services I use, I look for it on the Internet. Is a pain, just getting over the ads and having the movie start takes minutes, and then you can't rewind or even pause because every press of the button may start a new series of pop-ups and ads. And when you watch a movie with the family, the last thing you want is an ad to Chaturbate or Pornhub. Netflix and Crunchyroll have inbuilt apps on my TV, and is easy and fast to access. Even on PC, most of those illegal sites are full of malware and are straight-up designed for phishing. Many of their ads even bypass adblockers.
There is also quality. Netflix has 4K and more, which looks great on my 4k TV. Where online, you find at best upscaled 720p, and maybe 1080p if you are lucky.

So in general, comfort and accessibility is the main reason. As long as a streaming service is more accessible and comfortable than pirating, people will pay for it. Unfortunately, those services are starting to forget that, looking at how they keep pushing prices up, and even wanting to add ads, just to have another good quarter for their shareholders.

And there is of course wanting to support what you love. The industry needs money to survive. Is also nice to won things, at least when it comes to manga.

nyugvo6 said:
I thought you wanted info on the company...? guess not.
when you pay crunchyroll, you support crunchyroll. not anime, or anything japanese.
they will use your money to fund stuff like this:
people just want to think they're doing the morally right thing, and fall for false advertisement.

Dude is been like 6-7 years since this crap, get over it. Crunchyroll produced plenty of anime other than this, they basically kickstarted Korean webtoons being adapted. And no, the money don't just go to Crunchyroll. Do you think that the anime they host on that platform is a free donation from Japan? They buy licenses for it, and pay licenses for it to stay. And those licenses aren't that cheap. Apparently, streaming services pay around $250k per episode for licenses, along with royalties. Some anime from more popular franchises can cost even 400k per episode. Why do you think we are getting so much anime of 24 episodes and more those days? Is because just streaming services licenses have become enough to cover production costs and even give a profit. This bullcrap with the anime industry not getting money from Crunchyroll or is just a nonsensical myth from those who don't understand how this business works.

QPR said:

That's nonsense. You have no clue what you are talking about. They don't keep anything, because they don't have to give anything. Crunchyroll and streaming services don't work on a 'share revenue' business model. They buy the licenses of the anime they host. So by the time an anime is on the platform, it was already paid for. And they have more royalties to pay every year to keep it. The industry is not getting hardly anything, they get between 250k and 400k dollars per episode. Which is nearly double of the production costs for most anime.
kronopyApr 12, 3:38 AM
Apr 12, 3:47 AM
Apr 2022
It’s convenient and it’s only 8 dollars a month. I don’t like Crunchyroll as a company but they have a monopoly on anime streaming so I don’t have much choice.
Apr 12, 8:01 AM

Jun 2019
Simple, because I'm a functioning adult member of society and paying for things is considered the social norm. So I pay my dues and watch what I can legally, although I'll freely admit that I still have to sail the seas for about 2/3 of the shows I watch as they're not available to stream legally in the UK (ie from what I'm watching now; One Piece dub, Rose of Versailles, Maison Ikkoku and Kobato).

When I was younger and didn't have a stable income I used to only sail the seas.

Iirc there was an article earlier this year about how for the first time ever the anime industry got more money from international streaming licences, which include CR, than the national broadcasting money and blu ray sales in Japan.
23feanorApr 12, 8:05 AM
Apr 12, 8:10 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to 23feanor
Simple, because I'm a functioning adult member of society and paying for things is considered the social norm. So I pay my dues and watch what I can legally, although I'll freely admit that I still have to sail the seas for about 2/3 of the shows I watch as they're not available to stream legally in the UK (ie from what I'm watching now; One Piece dub, Rose of Versailles, Maison Ikkoku and Kobato).

When I was younger and didn't have a stable income I used to only sail the seas.

Iirc there was an article earlier this year about how for the first time ever the anime industry got more money from international streaming licences, which include CR, than the national broadcasting money and blu ray sales in Japan.
@23feanor There is absolutely no legally available anime in the country where I reside, so does this mean I can sleep well knowing I'm not a dysfunctional member of society who breaks social norms?

On a more serious note, Japanese should make their own streaming platforms for foreigners without American/European middlemen and hire translators who are actually competent. Many people won't pay to companies like Crunchyroll out of principle.
Apr 12, 8:21 AM

Apr 2015
@MadanielFL I'm not here for an argument since you always ignore anything anyway. I'm just pointing out how you're always quick to defend your beloved anime Corp anytime people talk about them.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 12, 8:38 AM
Apr 2015
Because I like to support the industry, studios, and voice actors so they can continue to make quality content and bring professional subs and dubs to countries outside of Japan (that is what these companies do...license the anime which goes directly to those places). And I don't like to partake in illegal activity. As simple as that. I can't understand the rationale for accessing dodgy websites to watch it since that opens yourself up to viruses and identity theft and it is stealing. But I accept fully that some people would like to do so and they are welcome to do so. It does make sense for anime that are not professionally subbed or licensed to other countries...that is the only time that I think pirating makes complete sense.
chibikarikApr 12, 8:41 AM
Apr 12, 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Shizuna
@23feanor There is absolutely no legally available anime in the country where I reside, so does this mean I can sleep well knowing I'm not a dysfunctional member of society who breaks social norms?

On a more serious note, Japanese should make their own streaming platforms for foreigners without American/European middlemen and hire translators who are actually competent. Many people won't pay to companies like Crunchyroll out of principle.
Shizuna said:
Japanese should make their own streaming platforms for foreigners without American/European middlemen and hire translators who are actually competent. Many people won't pay to companies like Crunchyroll out of principle.

they tried that with daisuki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuki_(website) but it failed big time the japanese are not good with web programming as evidence of how bad and slow the programming development of myanimelist website alone that is now owned by a japanese company too
Apr 12, 10:20 AM

Sep 2008
just ignore that crunchyroll started as a piracy site
just ignore that crunchyroll used the money to fund a western diversity cartoon
just ignore that crunchyroll mistranslates on purpose
just ignore that crunchyroll adds they/them
just ignore that crunchyroll does awful spelling errors
just ignore that crunchyroll pays translators that boast about hating the fanbase and actively ruin their entertainment.
just ignore that crunchyroll censored the danmachi game
just ignore that crunchyroll shut down priconne and ran with the money
just ignore that crunchyroll sold user data
just ignore that crunchyroll is now pay only
just ignore that crunchyroll funded "anime" such as ex-arm
just ignore that crunchyroll is now sony's property
just ignore that crunchyroll is funding korean cartoons
just ignore that crunchyroll boasts that they have control over what japanese can put into anime.
just ignore that crunchyroll retroactively censors shows in their library.
just ignore that crunchyroll has an awful ui, they don't allow you to download and keep what you paid for.
just ignore that most of crunchyroll's library is not even available outside the usa.
just ignore that animators and directors reported that they have never seen any money
just ignore that crunchyroll purged adult materials from their store
just ignore that crunchyroll bought rightstuf AND purged 18+ items from there as well

just. give. your. money. to. crunchyroll. there was no anime before crunchyroll existed. you should be thankful they even allow you to pay for anime.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Apr 12, 11:42 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Zalis
I started paying for streaming because the pirate scene stopped providing anything better than legal options for ongoing/seasonal anime. After fansubs died out in the early 2010s, and fan-edits of official subs largely died out in the mid-10s, pirated anime was just "the same thing as legal anime, except FOR FREE." And streaming legally saves me the hassle of downloading increasingly-bloated files and storing them on increasingly-shaky external hard drives -- I don't care to patronize bootleg streaming sites that profit from the work of the anime industry and the fansubbing/ripping scene.

fyrflys said:
It's just that streaming services are such a mess that it isn't worth paying money to them right now. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "pirating is a service problem," and I agree with that. Until streaming services get their act together and offer not just an affordable but also a quality viewing experience Imma keep sailing the seven seas, moral or not.

Anime piracy (in well-served areas like the US) maybe used to be a service problem, when the pirated versions had subjectively-better downloaded fansubs (roughly) during the JP broadcasts, and the legal versions were physical-media-only and came out years afterward. But now, pirates generally consume the same shows, with the same subtitles, and with the same or worse video quality than the legal versions. Aside from regional unavailability, the biggest difference is "free vs. not free" -- a pricing problem.

Daviljoe193 said:
If I could, though, I probably would instead stash the CR money to instead spend it on the manga directly for every anime I end up loving. Support the artist, rather than throw money into a bucket that gets divvied out to people you don't care as much about, with only a small fraction actually going where you want it to go, and the rest probably going places you'd rather it not go.

What about anime-originals that have no manga, like this show that you rated a 9? Buying manga also throws money into a "bucket" shared by rights-holders and publishers before it gets to the manga author, let alone anyone involved with the anime.

Daviljoe193 said:
Did the math (It was painful), and exactly 60% of my completed anime list is stuff that's not licensed anywhere in the west for streaming. I was off by a good bit, but the hard numbers don't lie, I really do watch more unstreamable anime than streamable, and being limited to what's streamable would be limiting enough to make me lose interest in anime.

How does subscribing to one or more streaming services limit you to watching what's "streamable"?

You speak of your love for "boomer anime," presumably including this Winter 2003 series that you rated fairly well and is also a pet favorite of mine. Back in 2006, I spent the equivalent of ~$110 in today's money to buy it on DVD, and that amount would easily pay for a year's streaming subscription. So based on the hard, truthful numbers, I have a hard time seeing the current landscape as unaffordable.

LSSJ_Gaming said:
Crunchyroll unfortunately has an effective monopoly on the distribution of Japanese animation after they bought out FUNimation and Rightstuf Anime. [...] They're not even that great of a company either as they heavily underpay their translation teams and refuse to even give their translators credit most of the time which hurts their careers. They've also been called out for union-busting practices by some of their voice talent for their dubs, with the whole Kyle McCarley situation back from before Mob Psycho Season 3 got dubbed.

What if I told you that there are streaming sites out there that profit from CR's translations and dubs, and don't pay anything at all to the translators or VAs? Surely you'd be even more against them, right?

LenRea said:
So why would the anime industry upend their workflow for licensing/streaming deals they don't care about? It certainly seems like IG / Wit's George Wada cares about them.

If there were a fansubbing scene ready to take over if these companies shut down or stop licensing anime, why don't we currently get good and timely translations for things like OVAs and specials that don't get legally streamed? For example, I recently watched this episode, which was not subbed in English until 6 years after it came out, and the subs were Google Translations of Russian subs with minor cleanup -- coherent enough to understand what was going on, but not good by any means.

nyugvo6 said:
when you pay crunchyroll, you support crunchyroll. not anime, or anything japanese. They will use your money to fund stuff like this:

If you want to nurse culture-war grievances from 6 years ago, that's your business. But if I'm reading this right, is CR actually a legal pirate site that operates in the open and bamboozles Japan into letting them stream their shows for free and keep all the profits for themselves, but still maintains a lesser selection than other pirate sites just to keep up an elaborate ruse? You'd think after a decade and a half, Japanese companies (none of which took any legal action against CR over HGS!) would've realized they were being conned.

Zalis said:

Crunchyroll licensing out their own content isn't an issue. It's relatively normal for corporations to license out certain projects of their to other services, as you can still find for example some Warner Bros content on Netflix and Peacock despite WB owning the Max (formerly called HBO Max) streaming service. You can't really shit on another service for accepting a licensing deal with Crunchyroll to stream some of CR's content, although you probably can and rightfully should still call out Crunchyroll for not paying their translators and actors, and something as simple as adding in residuals into the contracts can help when these shows get licensed out to other platforms. If there is an issue, you shouldn't blame the ones buying the product rather than the company producing it, and in a case like that, another company streaming a few Crunchyroll shows shouldn't be to blame for Crunchyroll's horrible business practices.

Zalis said:

Viewers opinions on the Crunchyroll monopoly have shifted over time as CR has abandoned many features due to this new monopoly. One of the first big examples of this would be the removal of the ad supported viewing option for new releases 1 week after Premium members, which slowly over time also led to some shows that were previously available free with ads such as the official Yu-Gi-Oh subtitles being locked behind a Premium subscription now.

There was another controversy when Rightstuf was acquired as it put quite a wrench into their model. Rightstuf had previously picked up NSFW content as well as a few shows FUNimation had dropped such as Interspecies Reviewers, only to get acquired by the merged company that had abandoned said shows in the first place and would probably not want to continue the official licensing of pornographic animation. All NSFW content was pulled off of the Rightstuf Anime website and put onto some random no name site that popped up to basically just be a NSFW only store where Crunchyroll just pushes all the stuff they don't want to be associated with to. There was also the issue of the store, since Rightstuf was well known among DVD and Blu Ray collectors such as me for their high-quality packaging which was meticulously done to ensure your products arrived undamaged and in as high quality as possible. Meanwhile Crunchyroll's store is NOTORIOUS among collectors for their poor packaging as they basically just throw your DVDs in the box with very little protection, commonly leading to products arriving damaged. Once the stores merged, many buyers were upset to see that Crunchyroll's packing practices were applied over Rightstuf's leading to pre-orders people had made from Rightstuf that were fulfilled by Crunchyroll arriving damaged. Crunchyroll store is pretty horrible with its packing and its prices as well, which is another issue since now since there's little competition among anime stores, they can charge a higher price instead of trying to be competitive whatsoever.

Most people don't even know about the difference between Union and non-union dubs, that's really only something hardcore fans know about. You can't really expect the average person who knows very little about dub production to support companies who are also less well known (with maybe the exception of Bandai) just because they are union projects.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 12, 11:52 AM

Feb 2021
@nyugvo6 Ah yes let's talk about Ex-Arm, and let's ignore Odd Taxi, Sora Yori, Bungo Stray Dogs S5, Blue Lock and all the other popular anime they helped produce.

Because according to you, even when you are directly helping produce anime, that means you aren't actually supporting the industry.

"retroactively censors shows in their library." I think you mean "uncensor" since they quite literally have added the uncensored versions of anime after they finished airing?

Huh, strange for a company that "censors" anime to be adding uncensored anime...

"purged adult materials from their store" They never sold hentai buddy, you better be more informed about that, and even then they still sell other ecchi stuff uncensored, which again is quite strange for a woke sjw company that "censors" anime...

"animators and directors reported that they have never seen any money"

Who said that? I could literally link to you interviews where animators and producers literally tell people to watch anime legally, but I guess their opinion doesn't count...

And what's wrong with helping fund manhwa adaptations? I thought people liked those, and they are all animated by JP studios anyways, so they are actual anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 8 minutes ago

1 by Iron47 »»
2 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

23 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

40 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
14 minutes ago

» What's the most disturbing/scary hentai you've seen? ( 1 2 )

Mini_usagi - May 20, 2020

76 by Ex-Aid »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.