Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 16, 2022 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
Cid does have his sense of pride after all, and of course, so does Rose. I don't think we saw the full extent of either of their abilities in their sword fight.

Ugh, I can't stand some of the other guys in this show though. They just seem so cheesy with little personality beyond especially this episode. Not sure what direction this anime is going yet but it seems they're trying to introduce all the prominent characters from the story. That cliffhanger though, yikes.
Stark700Nov 16, 2022 6:58 AM
Nov 16, 2022 6:30 AM

Jul 2017
Cid doesn't want any attention in school, but he sure isn't interested in the fencing tournament, all part of the Cult of Diabolos in an effort to drive Shadow Garden out of the darkness. That said, the Third Children may prove to be a threat, but if Cid plays his pieces right, he can come out of this crisis.

The fencing tournament heats up because of the student council President Rose Oriana, and Cid...tries his best to be the best mod character there ever was. Fighting her takes milliseconds for Cid to show off his strengths in this clichéd event, and (not really) as badly injured as he is, Sherry chancing upon him to hand him a bag of cookies for friendship starts, grabbing attention for her dad's upstanding position in the Academy.

Sherry looking for Princess Alexia to talk about Cid in the romantic sense, and man, Alexia almost had a heart attack with Sherry taking on the chance to further her relationship with him. And finally, the terrorist attack on the Academy that has Cid not able to acrivate his powers, with the fake Shadow Garden taking over.

A cruel death at the most unexpected.
KANLen09Nov 16, 2022 8:33 AM
Nov 16, 2022 7:23 AM

Jul 2015
The Alexia-Sherry scene was a good improvement, but the rest I feel it was a big downgrade from the manga approach when doing the comedy parts.
Nov 16, 2022 7:25 AM
Aug 2017
It's fun to finally see the terrorist attack on the school animated, but it's not quite the same without Cid's internal monologue. I hope the next episode rewinds things a few seconds and shows that scene from his perspective.
Nov 16, 2022 7:28 AM

Oct 2017
Cid with more of his mob events, the scene at the end is surely one of those too. Sherry going to meet Alexia was amusing.
Nov 16, 2022 7:41 AM
Apr 2013
A very slow ep this time, I was expecting things to jump right into the action, but instead we're getting a cliffhanger with the action at the end. Not unlike ep 3/4.
Though this pacing is still very weird. I was told we're still in vol 1, and there's only 4 vols out so far. Considering they seem to be taking their pacing slowly it appears that most likely they're gonna be doing 3 vols?

Let's see. The main event that happened this time was the student council president getting involved. Iris isnt involved this ep, and alexia remains to be seen, but her injury still hasnt recovered yet. (She's not exactly the strongest either, so the actual shadow garden members are probably going to be doing the "heavy lifting". Though I wonder how good their long distance communication is)

Claire at least briefly shows up which at least gives me a non zero hope that she might actually get to do something. Maybe. Eventually. Or maybe the author is just.
I'm not optimistic, but at least well, its possible. The trend of introducing more and more new characters is kinda a lot though.

We have the zeven girls (some of which havent even shown up yet, and of all of them I'd like to remind you guys that its ep SEVEN, over a third into the 20 eps, and most of them havent even shown up and alpha is like the only one who has some semblance of screentime), plus nu, alexia and iris, sherry, claire and now rose.

The part where cid "cant control his magic" is at least somewhat interesting, though its pretty early. Hard to tell. I'd expect the others seven to notice (nu is still on the campus right?) and they'd probably intervene while cid goes somewhere to change.
Its kinda, borderline illogical how cid either willingly is literally throwing himself while also trying to be a "mob chara", but apparently others have said he's either "literally insane" or something, and if you think of it that way it sort of makes sense that he does all this crazy stuff. Not saying that I like it, but it is what it is, for now.

While it's a pretty slow ep probably things will hit the fan next time.

At this point the cliffhanger is like, I'm not even surprised at this point, though the first half of the ep was so quiet and slow I wasnt even expecting anything to happen.
If they're really slow they might drag it on for another ep even, the sudden change in pace is really weird.

At least sherry is cute, though uh. Hard to say what will happen, still over 10 eps to go, but I'm not overly optimistic that things will get better AKA change from the current.
CocoaGalaxyNov 16, 2022 7:48 AM
Nov 16, 2022 7:46 AM
Apr 2013
Stark700 said:
Cid does have his sense of pride after all, and of course, so does Rose. I don't think we saw the full extent of either of their abilities in their sword fight.

Ugh, I can't stand some of the other guys in this show though. They just seem so cheesy with little personality beyond especially this episode. Not sure what direction this anime is going yet but it seems they're trying to introduce all the prominent characters from the story. That cliffhanger though, yikes.

The impression I had is that, either deliberately or unintentionally, the author is trying to "press as many buttons"
Who knows if its intentional.

I myself am rather upset, for the most part. The pacing and character balance is really meh. Everyone else seems to like it for some reason that I dunno.
Nov 16, 2022 7:47 AM

Oct 2020
I hope Cid will be ok?
Nov 16, 2022 7:53 AM

Feb 2016
JanWiller06 said:
I hope Cid will be ok?
nope, he died all other 15 eps gonna be about his funeral.
Nov 16, 2022 7:55 AM

Apr 2022
What an annoying place to end an episode aaah!
Nov 16, 2022 8:01 AM
Jul 2022
Can someone explain to me what Nu was talking about in this scene?
and who is this guy?

probjodyeNov 16, 2022 8:07 AM
Nov 16, 2022 8:06 AM

May 2020
Anything to be in the character, even a punching bag is fine. Though as if once wasn't enough, that Cid went on to give the perfect "getting in between the attack" tutorial at the last minute.

Cid making blood flow like sweat. Damn.
Nov 16, 2022 8:08 AM
Nov 2018
CocoaGalaxy said:
Stark700 said:

The impression I had is that, either deliberately or unintentionally, the author is trying to "press as many buttons"
Who knows if its intentional.

I myself am rather upset, for the most part. The pacing and character balance is really meh. Everyone else seems to like it for some reason that I dunno.

Many comedy parts are off in this ep. It's disappointing. I think you should check the LN or manga soon. Cid's crazy inner thought in arena and before terrorist attack have been cut out.
Nov 16, 2022 8:09 AM

May 2021
This show doesn't know what it wants to be. Mundane episode for the most part but with yet another cliffhanger. I think am gonna give it one more episode and then drop it. There doesn't seem to be road to redemption.
Nov 16, 2022 8:30 AM

Nov 2019
I don't know what was in those chocolates, but Sherry was enjoying it way too much

Nov 16, 2022 8:40 AM
Mar 2021
And then he got isekai'd again.
Epic.
Nov 16, 2022 8:41 AM
Jul 2014
My internal struggles with Cid being the way he is continues, but everyone will just keep responding not to take this show seriously which is fine but the humor is not that good either it's forced.
I want to enjoy this and I enjoy everything outside of it expect when Cid is at school, the mob-persona is way over the top to the point of annoying for me.

I have seen comments say the adaption is done poorly, the humor is well better in the source material, but I just can't see Cid waking up and going oh wait everything these girls are doing is real and not part of my chuunibyou fake story for me to read this.
Nov 16, 2022 8:50 AM

Jul 2021
an ani-dramatic ending. we all know that slash is nothing to him. still that was quite a pool of blood damn.

this episode actually had lots of comedy. many scenes were funny.

sherry is starting to fall for cid and honestly that's not surprising at all. the coffee scene was gold though haha.

i don't understand what was going through cid's head when he jumped in front of the sword. didn't he wanna remain as a background character? what bg character would jump in front of a sword to save someone?

pretty great episode overall. 5/5.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Nov 16, 2022 8:52 AM
Mar 2018
probjodye said:
and who is this guy?

The vice captain dude, called marco i think
Nov 16, 2022 8:56 AM

Mar 2013
The intro really made Sherry's lips feel like a lewd scene... lol

How many times did I get to see Cid playing as a mob, those scenes were really quite something to enjoy.

What I really love and appreciate about this episode is the scene where Sherry asked Alexia about Cid. Both of them were quite adorable while talking and the animation is great as always but Alexia getting somehow jealous was really quite entertaining and lovely.

AND FINALLY, Rose Orianna? has finally been revealed. There's something off about her character design, let me see how they'll make her character bloom from the following episodes.
CrazyButNot4UNov 16, 2022 9:23 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 16, 2022 8:56 AM
Jul 2022
Tatsuke4 said:
probjodye said:
and who is this guy?

And why was Nu dreaming of herself with him?
Nov 16, 2022 9:03 AM
Nov 2020
what chapter to read after eps 7?
Nov 16, 2022 9:04 AM

Mar 2013
probjodye said:
Tatsuke4 said:

And why was Nu dreaming of herself with him?

Did you really watch the episode? I think not.
This is her dialogue.

She's probably just imagining things (and probably because the guy was close in proximity to her and used him as a guinea pig?) lol ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
CrazyButNot4UNov 16, 2022 9:12 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 16, 2022 9:08 AM
Feb 2021
Honestly, I didn't know anything about the story, and the premise seemed incredible, but it just disappointed, episode after episode, but I think that's personal, I didn't like the work very much.
Nov 16, 2022 9:14 AM

May 2016
god that was a dog shit episode besides the last few minutes. no reason that pink haired annoying chick needs to exist.
Nov 16, 2022 9:15 AM

Feb 2019
Lmao alexia’s face when sherry started talking about cid had me crying. Poor Alexia, must be hard to have never not got what you wanted and be struggling to deal with that.

Pretty slow episode but seems like we got a lot done with the fake fight, the sherry stuff and then the terrorist attack on the school which I can’t wait to see play out next week
Nov 16, 2022 9:17 AM

Jun 2020
This was my favorite episode so far. I loved the little scene when Cid tried to drink the coffee but realized his mouth was full of bandages.

TsutanaiFuun said:

i don't understand what was going through cid's head when he jumped in front of the sword. didn't he wanna remain as a background character? what bg character would jump in front of a sword to save someone?

pretty great episode overall. 5/5.

I dunno how it is in the novel, but Cid has some monologue before jumping for the sword in the manga

So basically, his scream was genuine lol. They cut most of his inner thoughts in the anime, but maybe they'll show some of it in the next episode to explain it.

Nov 16, 2022 9:41 AM

May 2018
I can just imagine Cid having 20 bottles of ketchup ready for use in every one of his 48 Background Character techniques lol
Nov 16, 2022 9:50 AM
Jun 2010
Man, you got to love how cringey this anime is, lol. It's one of my favourite light novel / web novel.
Nov 16, 2022 9:51 AM

Mar 2018
probjodye said:
and who is this guy?

She was
, she lived her life to the fullest as a young aristocrat and then was struck by a curse. Her life fall apart because of it. But Gamma finds her, cure her by Shadow magic, and now she is working for Shadow Garden.
JanuszMaciejNov 16, 2022 9:55 AM
Nov 16, 2022 10:03 AM

Mar 2020
An amusing episode for sure, with Sherry getting quite a bit of screen time this episode, for very interesting reasons, such as the closeups of her eating the chocolate, while Cid should be nominated for every Oscar award possible with his acting skills. It did get quite over the top for me though, so I'm not sure I enjoy all his antics.

With the fake Shadow Garden infiltrating the school, Cid will need to pull off yet another masterful move to get out of this situation.
Nov 16, 2022 10:23 AM
Feb 2019
NOT YET. HE HAD MORE MOVES TO SHOW. EPISODE ENDED FAR TOO SOON.
Nov 16, 2022 10:34 AM
Sep 2019
Ahhh the tension for the next episode has just gone through the roof I can't wait for the next one absolutely fantastic. I just didn't get why he let them hurt him so much just to let everyone know that he is the mob character. But overall absolutely crazy good episode.
Nov 16, 2022 10:34 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Great and hilarious tournament!!! kekeke
Nov 16, 2022 11:00 AM

Jun 2015
You know shits about to get wild when the MC says 'Here it comes!' and no other person in the room has the fainest. Did love his interjection into the situation but loss of his armour, this time for real real this eps looked like a decent amount of blood loss. Cant wait to see where this goes next week!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Nov 16, 2022 11:13 AM

Mar 2019
probjodye said:
and who is this guy?

Anime is not very good in reinforce it but all named girls were cursed and Cid "saved" them. In the manga she talks about her past life as a student and noble who was discarded as soon the sickness showed up at some point she was betrothed of that guy.
Nov 16, 2022 11:25 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its cute seeing how perplexed Sherry is about the chocolate. Nu actually looks nice in uniform. The glasses especially really suit her. But this expansion upon the cult as well as the vile way in which they get new blood was insightful. In a way I guess Nu is still able to live her life as a high school student when in disguise. Hmm the school sure has quite a few princesses among its ranks. Cid's way of losing really is always so eye catching. Despite the loss looks like Princess Oriana would be keeping an eye on him. Sherry was so cute though. Looks like Alexia has got quite fond of Cid judging from that photo. Thats one crazy trend though having that much sugar in coffee and Alexia's reaction was priceless. So the overall goal of the fake garden was to take over the school huh. Curious at what Cid has planned though. Overall a fun ep that expanded a great deal on Sherry, Nu and Alexia while introducing Oriana into the narrative.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2022 11:30 AM

Aug 2018
Such an awful story that makes you question what's the point of watching this garbage.
Nov 16, 2022 11:33 AM
Sep 2008
Cid my man, you can't keep doing this, you're gonna get found out if you keep doing bit character injury/death tropes
Nov 16, 2022 11:56 AM

Mar 2010
The harem is growing and its only getting stronger, may the gods bless this child.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 16, 2022 11:57 AM
Feb 2022
Me encanta la trama
Nov 16, 2022 11:58 AM

Sep 2018
So many funny parts to this episode.

I especially love how all the Shadow Garden girls just put the most positive spin on Cid's inane ramblings, and of course their spin always comes true.

But the best part of the episode was of course, Alexia's reactions to Sherry.

My only complaint is the same as always, why are these episodes all only 5 minutes long!!??

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Nov 16, 2022 11:58 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The terrorists are starting up but Cid is really not sticking to his "average but secretly OP" character with that kind of fake sacrifice in the end, and not to mention all the girls falling in love with him xD
Nov 16, 2022 12:07 PM
Jul 2011
I want to see how Cid is going to solve this problem, not about his injure, but how he is going to defeat those stupid guys
Nov 16, 2022 12:12 PM

Feb 2021
So we got to see more of Rose as well as Cid's "mob-fu" abilities.

We are on episode 7 and it's approaching the end of volume 1, so I have no idea how far this season will adapt.
Nov 16, 2022 12:17 PM
Aug 2017
Nyarly-kamin said:
This was my favorite episode so far. I loved the little scene when Cid tried to drink the coffee but realized his mouth was full of bandages.

I dunno how it is in the novel, but Cid has some monologue before jumping for the sword in the manga

So basically, his scream was genuine lol. They cut most of his inner thoughts in the anime, but maybe they'll show some of it in the next episode to explain it.

Yeah, the manga adapted both the tournament and the terrorist attack scenes a lot more faithfully to the novel than the anime. The whole classroom scene up to where the episode finished was presented from Cid's perspective in the novel, then the aftermath switches to the president's perspective so we can laugh at how badly she misunderstood his reason for "saving her". Hopefully they played it straight like this just to add a cliffhanger in there (as if anyone is seriously gonna believe Cid will stay dead at this point) and as you say, next episode replays it from his side to get the actual intended effect of the scene, albeit in reverse.

Tournament bit didn't really need any monologue to get Cid's idiotic intentions across, but they really cheaped out making his 15 grand death techniques for mob characters look basically identical. At the very least, they could have used more than just that same shot of him with his ass up in the air for every single time he got knocked down.
Nov 16, 2022 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
The tournament match with the president should have been longer. Those were some serious techniques lol.

Sherry's and Alexia's talk was amusing.

Nov 16, 2022 12:29 PM

Jul 2008
Rose is here let's goooo! My fav heroine! That shock on her face at the end! The impression left on her of Kagenou from their match!!

It feels like the story has finally properly kicked in with her here now :D :D :D

Nov 16, 2022 1:25 PM
Nov 2021
He's acting in a combination of side character and protagonist, what kind of side character does that?

I assume he wasn't actually cut or he'll just heal it later but how is he gonna explain being fine after that?

Goodbye
Nov 16, 2022 1:25 PM

Oct 2020
I really love how oblivious and crazy Cid can get xd
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

758 by Muow »»
Jun 25, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2022

188 by Jawnyblaze »»
Jun 25, 10:12 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2022

155 by Sayan_Pal »»
Jun 24, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

260 by ST63LTH »»
Jun 19, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

123 by ST63LTH »»
Jun 19, 1:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.