Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 5, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was kinda scary, seeing the 86ers being thrown into a massive fight against their enemies. It seems more like a survival battle with the highest stakes.

Shin fought with a lot of guts. I knew this episode would be significant for all the characters. First half of the episode almost had a climax-like feel. Lena's tears were hard to watch this episode, but man, they captured her emotions.
Jun 5, 2021 8:29 AM

Feb 2019
I am utterly speechless. What a masterpiece. I couldn’t have asked for better for volume 1’s end. From the get go the action sequences were immaculate today. A-1 continue their amazing use of CGI to blend 2D and 3D action scenes effortlessly. That combined with a stellar OST and phenomenal voice acting today… just wow. So many points during the ep I had my mouth agape. Shin v Rei, Lena calling Shin by his name for the first time and The answer playing, then Avid after Rei’s farewell. Annette and Lena’s conversation followed by Lena running through the streets of the capital and breaking down..

By far the BEST episode of the year. The foreshadowing of volume 3’s end with the Lycoris was also a great touch. The next episode’s title has me wondering if we’ll get some anime original stuff to end the cour or if they’ll show some interludes.. looking forward to it and I’ll just let A-1 surprise me. They’ve earned it.
Marinate1016Jun 5, 2021 8:38 AM
Jun 5, 2021 8:37 AM

Jul 2014
Jesus christ, Lena with that NTR like vibe play she did with Henrietta giving her one hell of a guilt trip to help her hack into them missiles. Shin finally got his ''freedom'', pretty emotional scene with his not exactly big brother and getting that sweet last hit.
They arent dead like how the series kinda paints it to be, for all we know that *unknown* area could just be near the capital where Lena is, its only unknown so the handlers that may get any ideas to help their squad not able to help them leave the 86, or maybe something else, who knows, Im just sure they aint dead so Im saying we got 5 members of the spearhead squad saved. Anyways as long as Shin and Anju are safe then Im good, they're my top 2 favorite so Im glad they survived.
I also liked how Lena screamed Shin's first name and at the same time he snapped out and went for the kill.
The wait for NEP is gonna be harder than the previous ones.
Jun 5, 2021 8:37 AM

Mar 2016
Lena running in the direction of the spearhead to emphasize how far she is from them in her desperate attempt to catch up to them before she trips halfway and gives in to the reality that she can’t stop them from their freedom that they finally attained. If she wants to catch up, she’ll have to set out and become like them.

What an episode man.
Fuckin’ Glory to the Spearhead Squadron

Finally!! The answer OST on youtube.

Shishou_23Jun 5, 2021 8:59 AM
Jun 5, 2021 8:54 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol, I remember the LN also mentioning that Shin grinned when he located his brother, but I wasn’t expecting it to be this edgy twisted, lol. He can finally end the voice that was bugging his mind for all these years. The way his brother’s Legion screams Shin’s name is a bit terrifying; I like how they did that. The fact that his Legion only screams Shin’s name goes to show how that was the last thing on Rei’s mind when he died.

Lena came in clutch with those interception cannons. Every other action Lena did to help or support the Spearhead Squadron was harmless, but firing the cannons without a higher-up’s approval will definitely get her in trouble, lol. That tiny moment when Lena increased her Para-RAID connection with Raiden, it seems like Raiden got a glimpse of Lena.

We also got to find out that Annette’s childhood friend was indeed Shin. Although she wasn’t obligated to help, Annette always had a sense of guilt for what she’s done before and Lena really manipulated that, lol. Although the anime overdid her expressions in the last episode, I don’t think Annette’s a bad person. It’s just that Lena’s enthusiastic support for the 86 made her negligence more apparent and it just added onto her guilt.

Shin also finally got to end his brother’s Legion. Doing so also helped Shin remember his brother more, and not just remember the moment he tried to kill him, but also the happier moments he had with Rei. Felt pretty bad for Shin, but at least he can remember Rei and be able to pay his respect to him that way too.

And now with the end of that battle, the Spearhead can proceed onwards and be able to leave the Republic. Their fates are undetermined and for all we know, they could all die in the next battle. But at least from now on, they don’t have to follow any commands and their fate is in their hands now. They are now truly free from the Republic.

The scene with Lena running towards the border because she was about to lose her Para-RAID connection and had to get in range with the Squadron was really nice. A little dramatic, but I like what it symbolized. While the Squadron is free from the Republic’s hands, it’s now Lena that feels trapped by the Republic. Despite never meeting the Spearhead Squadron face-to-face, she feels like she’s being left behind now.

Probably the most 86 has covered in one episode. Around 1/6th of the first volume was covered with this episode, which is pretty slow by LN adaptation standards, but fast when compared to how slowly 86 was adapting the first volume. There’s not a lot left in the first volume, so I wonder what the anime will do with its last two episodes. I wonder if they’re gonna add some anime-original scenes, or cover some stuff from volume 2 and 3, specifically the scenes from…

Outstanding episode though. Easily my favorite of this series! And also bless Shirogumi for the excellent CG in the battle in this episode.
Jun 5, 2021 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
OH DEARIE DEAR...Shin's older brother Rei of the Legion Shepherd has signalled the start of the Juggernauts' fight, but yet Shin goes it alone to solve a long-awaited brotherly conflict while Kurena, Anju, Theo and Raiden go against the herd...with a little help from Lena's support of rebellion against the Republic's orders.

The lone fight between brothers is second to none, but downright as dysfunctional from Rei's POV. The resolve of Shin to face his brother for one last time, the disintegration of the forthcoming of the love and sacrifice of the older brother, that chapter has finally come to a close. A climax-like feeling this is one so powerful, impressive, and long-lasting.

Lena still coming back for Annette, yet the way that she denounces Shin right in front of Annette, it's a two-fer of a setback for the girl who once abandoned her childhood friend, TWICE. But getting it through to her thick skull is the only way to save Annette's sanity, and a victory achieved for both Lena and the 5-person Spearhead squadron.

If anything, this to me spells just like the ending of a LN volume, and it definitely is that: the end of Volume 1. What a close-to-perfect adaptation of the source material, and LN fans have to absolutely rejoice now, for the 2nd Cour will keep this spectacular run in the future.
KANLen09Jun 5, 2021 11:33 AM
Jun 5, 2021 9:26 AM

Jul 2015
The best episode till now.Shin vs Rei,Lena forcing Henrietta to help the Spearhead Squadron.Everything was so nicely done.The way Lena was running towards the Spearhead Squadron was highly symbolic.They have gained their freedom.With this First volume is completed.5/5 Episode.

Jun 5, 2021 9:35 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
A lot of people are saying that this episode finished up volume one, but there's still some material left to adapt from volume 1. There's still the final scene of Chapter 7 that will probably be adapted next episode and the epilogue after that if the anime decides to actually cover that in this season.
Jun 5, 2021 9:46 AM

Jun 2019
The episode was full of action on the battlefield. Besides, everyone's telling Lena to not synchronize with them, she came to support them nonetheless. Shin was fighting his brother on the battlefield and was ready to die there with him. But, thanks to his friends, he recovered and defeated Rei.

That OST was godly ngl even the use of the ED was great. An amazing episode overall. Lots of tears and pain as well. They've finally got what they wanted, Freedom. Spearhead Squadron.. the GOATS.

Pre_YumJun 5, 2021 9:49 AM
Jun 5, 2021 9:56 AM

Jul 2015
I'm happy we still have another cour to watch. I also hope the studio change Vol 1 ending. Such a waste to spoil Vol 2 now.
Jun 5, 2021 10:07 AM

Dec 2014
Incredible episode, just fantastic.

Lena with the absolutely clutch mortar cannons, that was awesome. I was super invested in the moment and was curious how they were gonna get past all those Legion.

Shin's fight against his brother was great, he had a pretty evil grin on his face. I also loved how Lena called Shin by his first name to encourage him to finish things and lay his brother to rest. The scene with Shin crying was very nice, epic use of ED insert there. Loving the direction.

Lena really went all out to get Annete's help, trying to guilt trap her. She had some crazy badass shots with that smirk under the hat. It's unfortunate that she had to resort to that tactic, but it was the only way she could help the spearhead squadron. I suspected last episode if her friend was indeed Shin especially because of the experiments that were performed and it was confirmed here.

I really loved the scene with Lena running towards the Spearhead squadron as they went out of range, it was a bit overdramatic but their conversation playing over in the ear piece as Lena tried her best to not be left behind by them was great. The spearhead squadron found their freedom but Lena is still trapped inside the Republic with no way out.

Very interested in the direction the story will go from here, fantastic use of OST at the end too. Just all round fantastic, big props to A1 for the production here.

Obligatory Lena is best girl. <3
Jun 5, 2021 10:08 AM
May 2008
Wow just wow.... I'm utterly speechless. There's still some left from volume 1, but just oh my god... best episode so far, I'm so glad I decided to pick this anime up.
Jun 5, 2021 10:10 AM
Oct 2016
So sad seeing multiple goodbyes this episode. A crazy action scene to start the episode with the remnants of spearhead squadron still going headfirst at the Legion. Shin going almost rabid to fight directly against his brother now this Shepard. Shin vs his brother got emotional when Shin started to lose it thinking back to how his brother used to be. I teared up when those images of Shin brother became clear again now that he'd been given his rest. As an older sibling seeing that knowing how much you want to protect your younger siblings. Shin letting out that good cry helped him a lot. After that in the episode I loved how Lena turned stone cold, guilt tripping Annette into helping get the mortars support. Lena has grown a lot since the show started. Her letting out her own big cry as the spearhead squadron went out of the signal range. I don't think this will be goodbye for them, have to see where they lead to.
Jun 5, 2021 10:13 AM

Feb 2013
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Lol, I remember the LN also mentioning that Shin grinned when he located his brother, but I wasn’t expecting it to be this edgy twisted, lol. He can finally end the voice that was bugging his mind for all these years. The way his brother’s Legion screams Shin’s name is a bit terrifying; I like how they did that. The fact that his Legion only screams Shin’s name goes to show how that was the last thing on Rei’s mind when he died.

Lena came in clutch with those interception cannons. Every other action Lena did to help or support the Spearhead Squadron was harmless, but firing the cannons without a higher-up’s approval will definitely get her in trouble, lol. That tiny moment when Lena increased her Para-RAID connection with Raiden, it seems like Raiden got a glimpse of Lena.

We also got to find out that Annette’s childhood friend was indeed Shin. Although she wasn’t obligated to help, Annette always had a sense of guilt for what she’s done before and Lena really manipulated that, lol. Although the anime overdid her expressions in the last episode, I don’t think Annette’s a bad person. It’s just that Lena’s enthusiastic support for the 86 made her negligence more apparent and it just added onto her guilt.

Shin also finally got to end his brother’s Legion. Doing so also helped Shin remember his brother more, and not just remember the moment he tried to kill him, but also the happier moments he had with Rei. Felt pretty bad for Shin, but at least he can remember Rei and be able to pay his respect to him that way too.

And now with the end of that battle, the Spearhead can proceed onwards and be able to leave the Republic. Their fates are undetermined and for all we know, they could all die in the next battle. But at least from now on, they don’t have to follow any commands and their fate is in their hands now. They are now truly free from the Republic.

The scene with Lena running towards the border because she was about to lose her Para-RAID connection and had to get in range with the Squadron was really nice. A little dramatic, but I like what it symbolized. While the Squadron is free from the Republic’s hands, it’s now Lena that feels trapped by the Republic. Despite never meeting the Spearhead Squadron face-to-face, she feels like she’s being left behind now.

Probably the most 86 has covered in one episode. Around 1/6th of the first volume was covered with this episode, which is pretty slow by LN adaptation standards, but fast when compared to how slowly 86 was adapting the first volume. There’s not a lot left in the first volume, so I wonder what the anime will do with its last two episodes. I wonder if they’re gonna add some anime-original scenes, or cover some stuff from volume 2 and 3, specifically the scenes from…

Outstanding episode though. Easily my favorite of this series! And also bless Shirogumi for the excellent CG in the battle in this episode.

Anime Only here. Just wanted to say thanks for your weekly commentary on the episodes. Sometimes things get a little confusing and reading what you have to say really puts the pieces together. Also.. This episode was phenomenal! I actually loved how dramatic they made things with Lena haha
Jun 5, 2021 10:17 AM

Dec 2012
I really don't get the appeal. This is such an average show.
Jun 5, 2021 10:18 AM
Sep 2020
Damn..what an ep I'm mindblown..
Jun 5, 2021 10:21 AM

Feb 2012
00:26 “Shin’s smirk was cold, sharp, and ferocious. Like a blade. Like madness.”
01:47 ONLY FIVE MEMBERS LEFT 😭
02:53 Splendid fast-paced Juggernaut vs Legion action.
03:46 Rei the shepherd shoots one of the sheep, Rei wants to "save" or "protect" Shin, a desire he has had ever since feeling guilty for strangling Shin. But having been decapitated and given a robotic body (the Dinosauria), he now interprets salvation as doing the same for Shin (hence the talk about fragile bodies).
04:31 Help from a goddess arrives. Lena uses Raiden's eyesight to confirm his location and fire manually based on it, despite knowing the serious risks of using the Para-RAID to share optical information.
06:35 “Countless silver hands, the color of liquid micromachines, sprouted out from under the Dinosauria’s armor. The hands were the size of an adult's and had jointed fingers.”
07:24 Kurena agrees to the plan, she's a sniper herself and knows how much Lena earnestly cares about Shin; if missiles are to be used, Lena must have some assurance that Shin wouldn't die.
08:40 Just as in the LN, Rei has a vision of little Lena as the missile approaches. The addition of visualising the dud warhead hitting Dinosauria as Lena slapping Rei is amazing.
10:11 “He had to atone for his brother’s ghost. Shin fixed his sights on the crack he’d etched in the steel monstrosity’s armor.”
11:24 “Ever since the day Rei had killed him for the first time, Shin couldn’t cry. He was incapable of understanding that the feeling rising within him, crushing his heart, was sadness. The tears simply fell one after another, without end.”
13:23 Lena's face really says "I have your childhood friend".
17:43 Spearhead knows they can't turn back to the Republic that sent them to die in that mission, they're moving forward into unknown battlefields as planned. Lena, not wanting to get left behind, desperately runs in their direction so her Para-RAID stays connected.
21:10 “Droplets streamed down her cheeks. One after another, the tears flowed without pause.”
22:07 The Red Spider Lillies again. Five birds disappearing one-by-one.
Fortress_MaximusJun 5, 2021 4:39 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 5, 2021 10:21 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm that looks look staggering odds facing Shinn and the remains of his squadron. Under the guidance of a Shepard the legion are far more powerful. Lena's intervention and re entry into the story sure was timely. Nice to see her finally break the stupid rules that binded her. Shinn's fight with his bro sure was epic especially when backed with the OST. It was a long fight but in the end at least Shin managed to give his bro the rest he deserved. That scene after the battle where they watched the sunset was such a great scene to end the day with. To think that the boy that Anette was friends with back then was Shin and his family. Small world indeed. Its rare to see Lena be icy and cruel but when she does she sure was terrifying. The team teasing Lena after the battle sure was amusing but did well in calming things down. But seeing the squadron leave the confines of the republic and Lena's reaction to seeing them leave her sure was sad. Considering what the republic did to them Shin and his team owned no loyalty to them. Destroying such a large legion force by themselves more than settled matters. To the republic the fact that the unit was recorded as wiped out is a new blessing for them. Curious at what will happen next though in the last two ep's. But this was another excellent ep that balanced action with some excellent revelation and character development.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2021 10:22 AM

Apr 2019
A-1 Studio is killing it....so impressed how well they are doing this series. Best episode so far.

Jun 5, 2021 10:22 AM

Nov 2013
I am speechless, this was pure perfection. Easily my favourite episode of the whole Spring season, contender for episode of the year.

The first half with the battle against Rei was pretty well directed (really liked that throwback with smol Lena) and it was nice to see Lena clutching in to turn up the tides of the battle. OST peaked as expected too.

But man those last five minutes... they broke me!!! Loved the symbolism with Lena running after them and especially loved the foreshadowing of the lycoris. To freedom they went, now it is Lena’s turn to catch up to them and reach their final destination.

Now that vol.1 is almost done, I only hope that they won’t go too far into vol.2 content with these last episodes. Hopefully they expand more stuff on San Magnolia’s side with some original content, since I would really like to see more of Bloody Reina (plus some cameos would be appreciated).

KaitonJun 5, 2021 10:31 AM

Jun 5, 2021 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
Albi-kun said:

Believe it or not there are something called opinions. I personally like the themes of this show, the CG is smooth, the soundtrack is amazing, and some characters are well written. That’s the appeal I find in it
Jun 5, 2021 10:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Now, that was an episode and a half! Incredible stuff, this is the episode of the year for me.

Lena not only gave away her rank in the military but also a friendship away to fight with the 86, and boy in what fashion that was! "That's right, Officer Pensor". I am, and so are you." - Legit fire, this. Atmosphere with the rain and the stunning performance from the voice actors, peak quality. And that's how you blackmail.

Intense fight right from the get-go as well. A-1 have been killing it for a good while now but they really know how to step it even more when the time calls for it. Shin's brother giving him that little respite when one of the random legions came by unnoticed scared me a little honestly.

And then the fated battle! Major Milize's intervention made it all the more gripping and memorable. And that slap, oof. Good stuff!

"We're going ahead, Major". Ah man, I really want to see more of the unexplored places. Fantastic ost to accompany us during those final moments btw, got to give my hat to the God (Sawano) there.

Just two more episodes to go now. Here's to hoping the wonderful folks over at A-1 keep up this quality and adapt Vol 1 to its very merit that it has been getting so far. Can't wait for next Sunday morning!
_MushiRock11_Jun 5, 2021 10:35 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 5, 2021 10:31 AM
Nov 2020
I don't know if I'm being really stupid or what but really I don't get the end of this episode. Did the spearhead units die or something? They got disconnected but before that Major Milize seemed to realise something that set her off running thru District 1 while crying. Am I just being really slow lol?
Jun 5, 2021 10:35 AM

Jun 2014
I have to say Bravo to the anime staff. This episode is a perfect climax to the season and did the LN really justice.

I do wonder though, what are they going to do for the last 2 episodes? I'm looking forward to it.
Jun 5, 2021 10:35 AM
Feb 2021
Seriously this is one hella episode!!! The soundtrack is just outstanding and gave me goosebumps! It fills with various emotions, this anime is just straight masterpiece... perhaps might be the anime of the year.
Jun 5, 2021 10:41 AM
Aug 2020
montypython_123 said:
I don't know if I'm being really stupid or what but really I don't get the end of this episode. Did the spearhead units die or something? They got disconnected but before that Major Milize seemed to realise something that set her off running thru District 1 while crying. Am I just being really slow lol?

A bit lol. They just went into an area where the republic has no control and the para-raids don't work. Milize running through the district was her trying to maintain contact with them as long as possible.
Jun 5, 2021 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
I don't need to explain why this episode was so great, the episode itself did all the talking as to why. Amazing stuff, and I do wonder how the show will close the deal with 2 episodes left for the season.
Jun 5, 2021 10:46 AM
Dec 2019
holy fucking shit, all of these is just still the first volume of the LN? and we still have 2 episode left before first season ends?

what a fucking masterpiece
i'm so proud of myself to not drop this after the horrible first episode

how long since last time i've seen character with 3D personality like Lena?
best girl of this season
Jun 5, 2021 10:46 AM

Oct 2017
This episode just blew my mind. The first half with Shin going berserk was crazy. Milizé blackmailing Penrose into doing her bidding was epic and finally the last part with the Spearhead squad getting their freedom and Milizé's desperation to catch up with them was pure perfection.

Phenomenal episode, kudos to A-1 for pulling of such a great feat.
Jun 5, 2021 10:47 AM

Jan 2021
Well, I expected Lena to bend the rules to help them
Sht, it's a hard goodbye, after so long Shin has finally made it...

Ohh, I never thought about it, they just threw the information in my face and I didn't even think about Shin for a moment
Noooo, they're supposed to be free now I'm glad, but I don't want them to say goodbye so soon, what happens from now on?

It was a spectacular episode, 6/5
Jun 5, 2021 10:51 AM

Feb 2012
montypython_123 said:

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 5, 2021 10:51 AM

Jun 2014
The final 5 minutes of this episode....wow, that's all I have to say. The emotions, the music, the fucking voice acting. Just.....wow.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 5, 2021 10:54 AM

Jul 2017
Also I have to say, this episode really cemented to me the fact that I'm enjoying the anime version of 86 a lot more than the LNs now. It's less stuffed with jargon, and with the adjusted scenes and pacing used generally with the anime that helps rather than takes away from the experience, and with the amazing action and music present, the anime's definitely gassed me up with the first volume more than the actual LN. Which is a credit to A-1 for going above and beyond so far with the adaptation so far.

One of the few LN adaptations that surpasses the original LN for me (so far).
Jun 5, 2021 10:58 AM

Nov 2011
Maybe I forgot some plots from previous episode, I am a little confused at the ending, why does it seem like the team is leaving the handler forever? I thought the team's mission was only to destroy the enemy, and they did, didn't they? I get the No Signal part is probably because the area has not been explored, but again why is it turning into such an emotional part as if they will never work or see each other again?
Jun 5, 2021 10:59 AM
Nov 2020
Shin bids goodbye to his brother.
Spearhead bids goodbye to Lena.

Now they can finally be free.

Spectacular episode. This climax did not disappoint. The showdown between the remaining members of Spearhead vs Shourei’s Legion was epic. The CGI was amazingly well done, and the voice acting and direction during the fight was insane! The last moment of Shin and his brother was touching, with Shin finally ending the voice that had been nagging in his brain for years now. His emotional breakdown was completely understandable. Poor guy :(

Lena decided to showcase her own psycho mode on Annette lol. Using Shin to guilt trip Annette was foul play, but clever af. Using Annette to hack into the mortars, Lena was able to come in clutch during the battle. Good job Lena :)

Upon the realization that Spearhead was going to depart from the Republic for good, Lena decided to run a marathon towards their direction. The scene was sad to witness, as Lena desperately tries to keep the para RAID connection going. Of course, she couldn’t keep up, and loses the connection after Shin says a few final words to her.

The last scene with the birds and the flowers gave me chills. Like damn, wow, nothing but goosebumps with that!

Music was on point, action was on point, voice acting was on point, direction was on point, animation was on point, EVERYTHING was on point. I am extremely grateful for the terrific job that A1 Pictures has done.

The wait for the next episode is gonna feel like forever, isn’t it?
Jun 5, 2021 11:00 AM
May 2008
ota92ppon said:
Maybe I forgot some plots from previous episode, I am a little confused at the ending, why does it seem like the team is leaving the handler forever? I thought the team's mission was only to destroy the enemy, and they did, didn't they? I get the No Signal part is probably because the area has not been explored, but again why is it turning into such an emotional part as if they will never work or see each other again?

No the team's mission was to get into the enemy terrority (leaving the 86 district) and never come back. It's a special reconnaissance mission to penetrate the enemy terrority. It has a 100% mortality rate. Also they are not allowed to come back, unless they want to executed.
Jun 5, 2021 11:01 AM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Holy shit that was beyond beautiful. Even though we knew Shin would survive, I was holding my breath the whole time. I find that it was an excellent choice to not play Shin's crying but instead replace it with that grandiose music. I was half expecting to have the tears of relief (or atleast seeing Shin bloodied), but holy shit I went over the edge with Lena's wail. I'm surprise she didn't just freeze up hearing the news; I would.
I take back every bad thing I said about the anime. They really built up for this moment Holy s h i t. That last scene alone may have made 86 top into my top10. That was crazy. I'm not ready for this to end. But then again, I'm just relieved they didn't end on this episode.

But also was I the only one--even though I knew what was happening, I was like "are they invading the Republic"- or is that my last cell breaking down?

I find it interesting that Shin was the one that cut off the para-Raid with finality as if he knew she was running fruitlessly after them (IK that's probably not the case but)

KaguyachinchinJun 5, 2021 11:05 AM
Jun 5, 2021 11:04 AM
May 2020
This episode has left me speechless. - in a good way lol
Jun 5, 2021 11:05 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Top episode right here. 86 has been my surprising watch of the season. Very well made.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 5, 2021 11:08 AM

Dec 2012
NinoNakano13 said:
Albi-kun said:

Believe it or not there are something called opinions. I personally like the themes of this show, the CG is smooth, the soundtrack is amazing, and some characters are well written. That’s the appeal I find in it

But it's nothing special. It's well done in terms of animation and music, but the story is nothing special.
Jun 5, 2021 11:09 AM

Oct 2017
This episode.... this... fucking... episode.

Believe me because, I AIN'T EVEN LYING THIS IS BY FAR THE SINGLE MOST GREATEST AND BEST EPISODE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ALL MY ANIMES.

Holy shit. The directing mannnnnn... THE DIRECTING!!! WHO IS THIS DIRECTOR?!?!??! I AM ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHED THIS DIRECTOR REALLLLYY REALLLLY KNOWS WHAT HES DOING. SHEEESh man this episode for real has left me completely speechless and astonished. I am uttely baffled. I had high expectations for this epsiode but, it was clearly not high enough. What the heck honestly man, what the heck. This episode is seriously the best single episode I have ever seen. This director... I need me a director like this in my life.

Lena of course is GOATED. BIG UP LENA BTW!!
Jun 5, 2021 11:18 AM
Sep 2019
Would’ve thought that this was the season finale if I didn’t know any better. This anime is such a masterpiece, most definite fav of this season.
Jun 5, 2021 11:22 AM

May 2021
Wow. What an episode. Can’t wait until next week. Action scene was great too. Gotta hand it to the directors.
AISHITERU...REM!
Jun 5, 2021 11:32 AM
Feb 2021
This anime went from fine to very good, I am surprised. Can't wait for what's to come, the potential is enormous.
Jun 5, 2021 11:33 AM
Nov 2020
TweedleDane said:
Gotta give respect to sawano here . his music elevated the scenes to a really high level . i dont even know if i would have even enjoyed the scenes that much if it wasnt for it .....
i was worried the fights would be terrible considering how the action scenes were directed in the previous eps were , but it was well done . brilliant sound direction especially .
and finally a much needed character development . it finally took her to know what is that lena can actually do to help the 86 . and its good for the relationship between her and the spearhead , the scene with the red haired girl trusting lena is also a hint of the development .

and is there a map of for the republic ? i am kinda confused at how all the districts and units are placed....

not a fan of the melodramatic scenes at all tho. and besides , i think she should have been happy that the group is leaving , they finally get to be free .

If I was Lena, I’d be pretty upset too. These people have been her only “friends,” (besides Annette), and all of a sudden she’s being left behind by the only people she considers to be her friends. She also has to deal with the consequences of using the mortars without authorization. I’d be pretty stressed as well.
Jun 5, 2021 11:33 AM

Sep 2015
I honestly do not understand why people like this show
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jun 5, 2021 11:34 AM

Oct 2020
An amazing episode. The fight scene between Shin and Rei really hit hard. The soundtracks and the animation were peak. Lena really saved the other 86 members by coming in with those mortars. The 86 and Lena seem to finally trust each other. Goddamn, Lena was devious when convincing Annette. They're finally free! A pretty emotional part between the 86 and Lena. Oh, how she longs to be with them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2021 11:45 AM
Jan 2021
Wow... what an episode. There were a lot of emotions too. We are close to the vol 1 ending, looking forward it
Jun 5, 2021 11:49 AM

Apr 2013
Albi-kun said:
LN popularity and production value is pretty much why this anime is as popular as it is. It's nothing special but it looks good and it's well directed. I dont find the story or characters that interesting whatsoever but the production makes it watchable for a seasonal anime.
Jun 5, 2021 11:53 AM

Nov 2015
TweedleDane said:

and is there a map of for the republic ? i am kinda confused at how all the districts and units are placed....

There are 2 version of the map, the anime version show it during Lena lecture on the new students/recruits (Stiff oval shape made with a few straight line). The LN version looks like the hexagram.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - Yesterday

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
Yesterday, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by worldsick »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

32 by KitsuFrost »»
May 1, 7:13 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

265 by AlisandoLob »»
May 1, 9:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.