Forum Settings
Forums

'Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki' RPG Series Gets TV Anime

New
Mar 9, 2021 4:21 PM
Anime Moderator
Jan 2014

During its 40th anniversary livestream, game developer Nihon Falcom announced a television anime for its Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki (The Legend of the Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel) role-playing game series on Tuesday. The anime is scheduled to premiere in 2022.

The anime project is a collaboration between Nihon Falcom, Taiwanese game company UserJoy, Funimation Global Group, Content Fund SYOU, and anime planning company NADA Holdings.

Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki centers around Rean Schwarzer, a professor at Thors Military Academy in the Erebonian Empire. The anime's story will focus on the western part of the Zemurian continent featured in the games.

Nihon Falcom published the first game in the series in Japan for the Playstation 3 and PlayStation Vita in September 2013 and for the PlayStation 4 in March 2018. The game was released for the Playstation 3 and Vita in North America by XSEED in December 2015 and in Europe by NIS America in January 2016. The former ported the game for the PC in August 2017.

The fourth and latest installment of the game series, Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki IV - The End of Saga, launched for the Playstation 4 in Japan in September 2018. The game was later released on PlayStation 4 in North America and Europe on October 27 last year.

Source: Famitsu

Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki on MAL
AidanMar 10, 2021 8:32 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2021 4:36 PM

Jul 2015
Seems like another generic RPG game adaptation. We already have King's Raid and Hortensia Saga, which are mediocre at best, but palatable. Might as well.

Mar 9, 2021 4:39 PM
May 2015
I've always wondered if the "Cold Steel" series was ever going to get an adaptation but I didn't think it was going to be possible since there are 4 games in the series and all of them are about 100 hours long....

How the hell are they going to make this work lol?? I'm a bit excited but also worried that this is most likely going to be another shitty adaptation of one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. I think the adaptation needs a minimum of 4 seasons (About 26 episodes per season, I guess) in order for this to work. Otherwise, my fear is going to become a reality.

Edit: Ohh, I just noticed Funimation is co-producing this adaptation. That's good to hear xD!! If they ever decide to dub this series, I'm hoping they bring all of the original English VAs back for the adaptation because the English cast for this game did such a phenomenal job with their characters. Especially Juna's English VA from Trails of Cold Steel III. That one scene from Cold Steel III where Juna had a breakdown was the main highlight for me and it made me appreciate Juna's English VA even more.
jc9622Mar 9, 2021 4:55 PM

Mar 9, 2021 4:41 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
The anime project is a collaboration between Nihon Falcom, Taiwanese game company UserJoy, Funimation Global Group, Content Fund SYOU, and anime planning company NADA Holdings.
Wait, FUNIMATION is producing this?? Looks like they want to try what Crunchyroll did last year too, huh? ;P

Joke aside, I've never heard of this game or series before.
Apparently this game is related to Trails of the Sky or something in some way... I think I remember seeing @HeruruMeruru with a forum set of that game before... looks like @mozgow's forum avatar too iirc. The pictures of the series here look kinda interesting, but I doubt I'll watch this, sorry.

@Crow_Black have you heard of this Trails of Cold Steel series before?
Fario-PMar 9, 2021 4:49 PM
Mar 9, 2021 4:44 PM
Aug 2015
jc9622 said:
I've always wondered if the "Cold Steel" series was going to get an adaptation but I didn't think it was going to be possible since there's 4 games in the series and all of them are about 100 hours long....

How the hell are they going to make this work lol??

Apparently it's going to be an original story about what happened outside of Rean's POV. Also they are making a game of the anime's story.
Mar 9, 2021 4:46 PM

Aug 2018
This is actually great news. I just hope it's not a rushed adaptation crammed into a single cour.
Mar 9, 2021 4:53 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
Wait, FUNIMATION is producing this?? Looks like they want to try what Crunchyroll did last year too, huh? ;P

Apparently this game is related to Trails of the Sky or something in some way... I think I remember seeing @HeruruMeruru with a forum set of that game before... looks like @mozgow's forum avatar too iirc. The pictures of the series here look kinda interesting, but I doubt I'll watch this, sorry.

@Crow_Black have you heard of this Trails of Cold Steel series before?

Yeah i have heard of Trails Of Cold Steel before never played the games but i have heard of it. I know @Crimson is really into the series so he must have alot to say about that.
Disapeared_GhostMar 9, 2021 4:59 PM

Mar 9, 2021 4:57 PM
Aug 2016
One of the most complete stories of the jrpg, the games have been forming an intertwined world where there are no loose threads.

The development of these games is so elaborate that the wikipedia page dedicated to their characters is the longest Japanese article on the site.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/trails-series-characters-represent-japans-longest-wikipedia-article

Excellent news if it is well developed, although I would have liked them to start with trails in the sky
Mar 9, 2021 5:00 PM
May 2015
Sherak said:
jc9622 said:
I've always wondered if the "Cold Steel" series was going to get an adaptation but I didn't think it was going to be possible since there's 4 games in the series and all of them are about 100 hours long....

How the hell are they going to make this work lol??

Apparently it's going to be an original story about what happened outside of Rean's POV. Also they are making a game of the anime's story.
Wait? What? Where'd you hear this? So it's going to cover the "Erebonia Arc" (the arc for the entire Cold Steel series) but it's not going to cover Rean and the rest of the main characters??

Mar 9, 2021 5:08 PM

Jul 2015
It looks like this will be a original story, by guess is that it'll cover the time that passes between Cold Steel 2 and 3, and show Jurai, North Ambria, Ored, or Remfuria since we never saw those in the game
Sup...
Mar 9, 2021 5:17 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The game series is mostly fantastic, along with the Trails in the Sky series. However, I'm curious as to how they'll handle this anime. If it's an adaptation of just the first game, it'll need 24-26 episodes minimum. If it's an adaptation of the Cold Steel series, it'll need 100+ episodes. If they adapt the later games, then viewers will need knowledge on the Trails in the Sky series to get the most out of the story and characters.

I did hear that anime will be covering original content and not an adaptation of the games themselves (not 100% sure about it). That's probably the best thing to do imo.
Mar 9, 2021 5:20 PM

Jul 2016
Crow_Black said:
I know @Crimson is really into the series so he must have alot to say about that.

I don't have much to say, but this news does make me a bit excited.

I still haven't played Cold Steel 4 (waiting for the steam release), so I won't be watching this until after I'm done with that.

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Mar 9, 2021 5:33 PM

Apr 2017
There we go... This anime will be most likely a mess but oh well...

Few things to note if you don't have no idea what the fuck a Kiseki is

1. Kiseki or Trails is a subserie of a RPG series named The Legend of Heroes. It talks about this continent named Zemuria and its different nations with their different story and characters. Trails is perhaps one of the most long and massive continuous fictional stories ever. So yeah don't expect this anime to be anything special

2. Kiseki has currently 10 (+1) games divided in 3 arcs. Every arc is based on a nation in the Zemurian Continent.
First arc: Liberl arc or Sky Trilogy, cointains Trails in the Sky FC, Trails in the Sky SC and Trails in the Sky the 3rd. This arc is about 150h long
Second arc: Crossbell arc or duology, contains Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki (these two games aren't officially localized). This arc is about 160h long
Third arc: Erebonia arc or Cold Steel arc, aka Sen no Kiseki. It contains Cold Steel 1, 2, 3, 4 and Hajimari no Kiseki (released last year currently not localized). This arc is about 550h long. (here is where this anime is based)
Fourth arc: is Calvard arc, which hasn't even began (Will begin with Kuro no Kiseki releasing this year and probably continue with another pair of games)
There is also a little spinoff named Nayuta no Kiseki which technically shouldn't be canon but it definitely is.
All of these games are connected. Ideally people start with Sky FC and continue chronologically; stuff like Cold Steel 3 is pretty unplayable without knowing everything.
Also, just to make you understand how fucking big this series is: The end of the third arc is pretty much half of the story. We apparently will have about 6 arcs in total once the series reaches its conclusion

3. As you can imagine this series is based entirely on its godlike worldbuilding and lore. Every NPCs is extremely detailed and what makes the overall stories of the arcs great is the overarching story that started with the very first game.
Needless to say, the pacing of this work is extremely fucking slow, and with slow I mean really fucking slow. This is why I believe that Kiseki is not something that you can adapt in any way to other medium. Stuff like manga and anime just aren't enough to make this work shine. Not only for the massive size, but also for its narrative style.

Well, all of that said, apparently we have some info about this anime not being actually centered on Sen no Kiseki story (Thank god because how tf do you adapt 500h+ long story lmao), rather, it will be an anime with a new cast based on Sen no Kiseki (so during CS1 apparently). The anime will actually show other scenes not presented in the games (those who played CS1/CS2 and CS3 must have some idea). It will be set in Western Zemuria, so probably not only limited to the Erebonian Empire. I can actually imagine this covering stuff that the game couldn't show due to production and time.

AoishiMar 10, 2021 1:33 AM
Mar 9, 2021 5:44 PM
Aug 2015
jc9622 said:
Sherak said:

Wait? What? Where'd you hear this? So it's going to cover the "Erebonia Arc" (the arc for the entire Cold Steel series) but it's not going to cover Rean and the rest of the main characters??

I read it from here: https://www.dualshockers.com/trails-of-cold-steel-anime-release-date-story-staff/

There you can find the following extract from a commentary of Toshihiro Kondo:" Kondo said “events, story, and characters” who were not depicted in the games will be depicted in the Trails of Cold Steel anime. For example, what happened to certain characters or regions while we were following other events through Rean’s point of view. Kondo also explained we’ll see many Thors Military Academy related characters."
Mar 9, 2021 5:56 PM

Apr 2017
Sherak said:
jc9622 said:

I read it from here: https://www.dualshockers.com/trails-of-cold-steel-anime-release-date-story-staff/

There you can find the following extract from a commentary of Toshihiro Kondo:" Kondo said “events, story, and characters” who were not depicted in the games will be depicted in the Trails of Cold Steel anime. For example, what happened to certain characters or regions while we were following other events through Rean’s point of view. Kondo also explained we’ll see many Thors Military Academy related characters."

That's right. What I imagine they could cover is (MASSIVE SPOILERS, Dont read if you haven't played the games):

AoishiMar 9, 2021 6:09 PM
Mar 9, 2021 6:04 PM

May 2011
Aidan said:

Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki centers around Rean Schwarzer, a professor at Thors Military Academy in the Erebonian Empire.

Ummmm No...
He is a student.
lkevsanMar 9, 2021 6:11 PM
Mar 9, 2021 6:05 PM

Apr 2017
lkevsan said:
Aidan said:
[center]

Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki centers around Rean Schwarzer, a professor at Thors Military Academy in the Erebonian Empire.

Ummmm No...
He is a student.

AoishiMar 9, 2021 6:14 PM
Mar 9, 2021 6:11 PM

May 2011
Aoishi said:
lkevsan said:

Ummmm No...
He is a student.

lkevsanMar 9, 2021 7:20 PM
Mar 9, 2021 6:13 PM

Jan 2018
I have some faith in it since it'll be a original story, instead of adapting all of CS. Video game adaptions tend to be bad though, so we'll see.

Mar 9, 2021 6:13 PM

Apr 2017
lkevsan said:
Aoishi said:

Well yeah, I don't actually treat it as spoiler but I guess you're right, imma tag it to be sure
AoishiMar 10, 2021 3:14 AM
Mar 9, 2021 6:16 PM

Sep 2018
Considering how long each Cold Steel game is; I hope this not turn out to be a 12 episode train wreck. I will watch it either way. I hope Hajimari no Kiseki gets a english release sometimes this year. Also looking forward to Kuro no Kiseki in 2023-2024 english release probably.
Mar 9, 2021 6:30 PM
Apr 2014
more exposure for Falcom is good, their games deserve more fans
Mar 9, 2021 6:33 PM

Sep 2015
Can’t wait for more cold steel, extremely hyped for this!
"No Gods or Kings only, Man"
Mar 9, 2021 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
Ahh yes Sen no Kiseki, Falcom's latest masterpiece(Kuro no Kiseki is upcoming)

It has the best OSTs i've ever heard, hopefully it could be better if i'm not mistaken

I'd say this was an illusion in terms of being an anime since it's a video game, but having seen the news a day before would make up my mind:
- It must have 24 episodes(or more perhaps)
- It should show flawlessness
- Each part of the plot should make sense

That's what Falcom should be thinking if they're turning a masterpiece video game into a masterpiece anime(It may be risky since other anime adaptation from a game have failed because of how rushed it is)
Mar 9, 2021 8:07 PM

Oct 2017
So an anime based on the game but the story will be original eh, fine I guess.
Mar 9, 2021 8:47 PM

Jan 2009
More Towa Herschel is always good.
JigsyMar 9, 2021 8:55 PM
We're the same. Nuisances with nowhere to go.
Mar 9, 2021 11:40 PM

Sep 2020
As long it doesn't butcher the overall plot line of this series, so I a pleb could understand it all.
Mar 10, 2021 12:30 AM

May 2018
Tocs 1 = 110 hrs
Tocs 2 = 150 hrs
Tocs 3 = 220 hrs

Tocs anime? Dude? 24 per season okay? We want Linde and vivi scene more.

And please make Alisa the real one! Even im in Laura side. Hahaha
Mar 10, 2021 1:48 AM
Jul 2018

Aoishi said:
There we go... This anime will be most likely a mess but oh well...

Few things to note if you don't have no idea what the fuck a Kiseki is

1. Kiseki or Trails is a subserie of a RPG series named The Legend of Heroes. It talks about this continent named Zemuria and its different nations with their different story and characters. Trails is perhaps one of the most long and massive continuous fictional stories ever. So yeah don't expect this anime to be anything special

2. Kiseki has currently 10 (+1) games divided in 3 arcs. Every arc is based on a nation in the Zemurian Continent.
First arc: Liberl arc or Sky Trilogy, cointains Trails in the Sky FC, Trails in the Sky SC and Trails in the Sky the 3rd. This arc is about 150h long
Second arc: Crossbell arc or duology, contains Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki (these two games aren't officially localized). This arc is about 160h long
Third arc: Erebonia arc or Cold Steel arc, aka Sen no Kiseki. It contains Cold Steel 1, 2, 3, 4 and Hajimari no Kiseki (released last year currently not localized). This arc is about 550h long. (here is where this anime is based)
Fourth arc: is Calvard arc, which hasn't even began (Will begin with Kuro no Kiseki releasing this year and probably continue with another pair of games)
There is also a little spinoff named Nayuta no Kiseki which technically shouldn't be canon but it definitely is.
All of these games are connected. Ideally people start with Sky FC and continue chronologically; stuff like Cold Steel 3 is pretty unplayable without knowing everything.
Also, just to make you understand how fucking big this series is: The end of the third arc is pretty much half of the story. We apparently will have about 6 arcs in total once the series reaches its conclusion

3. As you can imagine this series is based entirely on its godlike worldbuilding and lore. Every NPCs is extremely detailed and what makes the overall stories of the arcs great is the overarching story that started with the very first game.
Needless to say, the pacing of this work is extremely fucking slow, and with slow I mean really fucking slow. This is why I believe that Kiseki is not something that you can adapt in any way to other medium. Stuff like manga and anime just aren't enough to make this work shine. Not only for the massive size, but also for its narrative style.

Well, all of that said, apparently we have some info about this anime not being actually centered on Sen no Kiseki story (Thank god because how tf do you adapt 500h+ long story lmao), rather, it will be an anime with a new cast based on Sen no Kiseki (so during CS1 apparently). The anime will actually show other scenes not presented in the games (those who played CS1/CS2 and CS3 must have some idea). It will be set in Western Zemuria, so probably not only limited to the Erebonian Empire. I can actually imagine this covering stuff that the game couldn't show due to production and time.

I was scared for a moment that they will try to adapt a game or all of the games in 25 episodes. Good to know that isnt the case.
Also everybody that likes jrpgs should play the kiseki series. All of them are goated games.
Mar 10, 2021 2:01 AM

Jul 2014
Fario-P said:
Yes, my forum avatar is from 'Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki', which got an OVA some years back a decade ago.

I think I will need to play the 3rd and 4th game before the anime comes out.
mozgowMar 10, 2021 2:05 AM
Mar 10, 2021 2:29 AM

Apr 2012
This is the first time I've heard of this franchise, but I hope it's hyped enough not to be animated as another low budget generic fantasy.
Mar 10, 2021 3:27 AM
Sep 2017
RobertBobert said:
This is the first time I've heard of this franchise, but I hope it's hyped enough not to be animated as another low budget generic fantasy.

As someone who's played all the games currently on PC (so everything up until the end of CS3 - just one month to go until CS4), Trails isn't generic. Sure, Sky might start that way, but it's an ongoing story, with technology progressing over time. The party usually uses trains to get around in CS1, for example, and magic is enabled by a specific kind of technology

Mar 10, 2021 3:31 AM

Apr 2012
TARDISES said:
RobertBobert said:

As someone who's played all the games currently on PC (so everything up until the end of CS3 - just one month to go until CS4), Trails isn't generic. Sure, Sky might start that way, but it's an ongoing story, with technology progressing over time. The party usually uses trains to get around in CS1, for example, and magic is enabled by a specific kind of technology

So, is this techno fantasy in the style of modern LN's trends like Mahouka?
Mar 10, 2021 3:38 AM
May 2010
This probably won't be what you want it to be... already confirmed this is with new cast and different PoV/set in other area.
(Guess no 50 mira memes in anime form....)
Which to me doesn't make any sense why they chose to keep sen/cold steel as the subtitle even odder is how there's supposed
to be a new game to tag with this new anime(not the upcoming kuro) that's probably a mobage so right now this news doesn't look good to me.
It'll all depend on what staff/studio does it though... I hope it just means we still get to see the existing cast
but with different POV cuz this feels like bad bait with how little they reveal about this supposed new cast(I hope that wasn't a mistranslation...).
ArtemisMeikoMar 10, 2021 3:42 AM
Mar 10, 2021 3:44 AM

Jan 2013
This looks cool. I've seen some artworks of the white haired girl so I wanted to play the game already.
Mar 10, 2021 3:44 AM
May 2019
I wouldn't hold my breathe for this one. Funimation is involved with it.
Mar 10, 2021 4:05 AM
Sep 2017
vegeta8639 said:
This looks cool. I've seen some artworks of the white haired girl so I wanted to play the game already.

Which one? There's two notable white-haired girls in the arc.
Mar 10, 2021 4:34 AM

Feb 2012
The MC in this series is pure ICE. Def looking forward to this adaptation, new big dick MC is in town.
Mar 10, 2021 5:07 AM

Apr 2017
ArtemisMeiko said:
This probably won't be what you want it to be... already confirmed this is with new cast and different PoV/set in other area.
(Guess no 50 mira memes in anime form....)
Which to me doesn't make any sense why they chose to keep sen/cold steel as the subtitle even odder is how there's supposed
to be a new game to tag with this new anime(not the upcoming kuro) that's probably a mobage so right now this news doesn't look good to me.
It'll all depend on what staff/studio does it though... I hope it just means we still get to see the existing cast
but with different POV cuz this feels like bad bait with how little they reveal about this supposed new cast(I hope that wasn't a mistranslation...).

Im actually happy with this, if they can expand on

Also yeah, considering the productors behind Akatsuki no Kiseki are working on this and the new game that will go together with this, it probably canon story but just for the world building and not too important to the overall plot (Just like Akatsuki does for Leman, and btw Akatsuki is at its final chapter so probably they will switch it with the new game)
Mar 10, 2021 5:09 AM

Apr 2017
Ramkec said:
The MC in this series is pure ICE. Def looking forward to this adaptation, new big dick MC is in town.

Rean-sama boutta show these casuals what is a real harem mc. MF so chad that he doesnt even give a shit since hes gay for Crow.
Mar 10, 2021 5:28 AM

Jan 2013
TARDISES said:
vegeta8639 said:

Which one? There's two notable white-haired girls in the arc.

Oh I meant the short haired one with the blades from the first game. Apparently her name is Fie Claussell.
Not saying there aren't other interesting looking girls aside from her though.
Mar 10, 2021 5:35 AM

Dec 2014
Big fan of the series so this is definitely very exciting, I doubt they can adapt the entirety of the Cold Steel series in a 1 cour or 2 cour anime but it sounds like this is going to be original side content which is likely the right approach for this kind of adaptation. However, I'm curious then as to who outside of people who have played the game will be able to watch it and understand what's going on.
Mar 10, 2021 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
Aoishi said:
Ramkec said:

Rean-sama boutta show these casuals what is a real harem mc. MF so chad that he doesnt even give a shit since hes gay for Crow.
Rean is the gigachad harem mc.
Mar 10, 2021 7:19 AM

Apr 2017
Xsaderr said:
Aoishi said:

Rean is the gigachad harem mc.

So true.
I remember hating him when I started Erebonia arc since the first thing I thought when I met him was generic anime katana boy; Fast foward to Hajimari and he is now my favorite main character lmao (With C and Kevin being right after him)
Mar 10, 2021 7:32 AM

Sep 2014
The heck is that? lol Well, it seems it's not going to cover the games' plot so I guess it's going to be a side-story spin-off taking place during the Cold Steel saga. Hopefully, it covers events during the timeskip. I still don't expect much coming from this.
Mar 10, 2021 9:22 AM
Aug 2010
This is my second fav series after Persona. I really love those games, I spent like 400 hours in the first 3 games or more and I still need to play the 4th one. This could have easily 120+ episodes, but sadly they will cut a lot and make it waay too short. Still I am super hyped about it, great news!
smX89Mar 10, 2021 12:31 PM
Mar 10, 2021 9:48 AM

Jul 2016
Oh damn, I haven't even started playing these yet. Guess I better hurry up with all my current unfinished games so I can finally get around to Trails in the sky, maybe I'll even manage to catch up by the time this comes out.
Mar 10, 2021 10:17 AM

Feb 2011
I got all excited until I started worrying that they'd play up the harem and romance. I was very careful to stay out of romance in my playthroughs.
眠れないのは君のせい
Mar 10, 2021 10:20 AM

Aug 2014
Just my personal opionin i would rather see a full series of Trails in the sky. For some reason I love it much more and have something extra I really can't point out. Also Estelle is probably one of my favorite characters of all time following her from start to finish. Cold steel is good but there is something missing. Still these games is my favorit of all time in story building and character crafting in any game.
Mar 10, 2021 10:22 AM

Aug 2014
Chouninatte said:
I got all excited until I started worrying that they'd play up the harem and romance. I was very careful to stay out of romance in my playthroughs.
THe romance is so small anyway. Just go with the blonde with is more canon anyway. The other ones are just added for not so much reason. Also the problem with such a huge cast. Comparing trails in the sky were the pairing was alsready prefixed and more worked.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs

Nioxys - Yesterday

1 by Clarkjani »»
56 minutes ago

» 'Kaijuu 8-gou' Unveils Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

1 by malvarez1 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

18 by Jopping »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - May 3

18 by Kazou-nozumu688 »»
Yesterday, 7:17 AM

» 'Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu' 2nd Season Announced

Vindstot - Dec 23, 2023

19 by JugNut001 »»
Yesterday, 5:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.