Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 6, 2021 8:06 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Liden Films, show No. 3. And it's as average as it can get for a Liden Films production.

Now, a smartphone game IP that I actually know a decent amount of (thanks to Sega), though the story (as-is with most game adaptations) is really nothing to write home about. But I do respect the homage to the settings and characters where the game is founded from.

A great OST from reputable artists (MY FIRST STORY and Mafumafu) to kick things off and a decent story for the central MC Alfred Ober and original heir Marius Casterede. Very typical JRPG-like, is what I can say best about it.

Well, an OK start that I don't mind having to watch after getting bummed by lots of game adaptations that are overly boring and cliche. In fact, I'm really enjoying this from the get-go.

If you want the loose version of the episode on a binge, Chapter 1 of the manga will be it.

Hope this does decent in the long run. Good job Liden Films, No.3 logged.
Jan 6, 2021 9:32 AM

Apr 2019
Very intense start. RIP king, and that other prince leon. Really good op song. Also action packed so I'm excited to see what's next. Marius definitely looks female? Really fast pacing along with some timeskips but I guess that's okay. We'll just see our characters as young adults/teenagers. Really nice ED. I liked the visuals.

Jan 6, 2021 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
damn, this anime isnt afraid of being gory, lots of blood in that opening sequence. animations and ost are pretty nice, particularly the opening and ending are quite nice. story seems pretty good too so i'll be looking forward to this
Jan 6, 2021 10:02 AM
Oct 2016
Interesting premiere episode for this fantasy anime. Some info dumps but also a couple of fight scenes. Starting us off with betrayal and tragedy as the king is murdered by one of his retainers. Gruesome slaughter after Rugis transformed into that werewolf. Sad seeing the princess, or Marius as they call her later in disguise, crying over her dead father while Fernando and Maurice try to stop Rugis. Fernando paying the ultimate price and Maurice losing an eye.

I like how Alfred, while sad his father is gone, understands he went down fighting for his country and doesn't mope around. But instead knows he's the lord of his region now and must accept that role. Taking "Marius" as a squire to train alongside him with Maurice. The time skip letting them age up and the threat from Rugis linger overhead. I liked the action scenes, good ole fashioned sword fights are fun to see. The opening and ending were both awesome
Jan 6, 2021 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
This episode and show had the same amount of flavor as Cheese-Whiz. So bland and bad that it made me feel sick consuming it. This was just so full of nothing for me, but then again I have never played the game so maybe its just not for me. Dropped for now, may return to it someday if I hear good things about it in future episodes. Shame that a MY FIRST STORY opening was used for this.
Jan 6, 2021 10:08 AM

Sep 2019
The animation was surprisingly good and I enjoyed it more than I expected. The ed and op were great.
z00nexJan 7, 2021 1:06 AM
Jan 6, 2021 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
KANLen09 said:
A great OST from reputable artists (MY FIRST STORY and Mafumafu)

i knew that ending sounded familiar, love mafumafu's singing
Jan 6, 2021 10:58 AM

Aug 2013
So Alfred is the type of MC not recognising that Marius is a girl. XD

I wasn't planning to watch this since there was a lot of anime out this season, too mant for me to watch XD. I might binge watch the whole thing once it finishes airing. Let's see how thing turns out.

Jan 6, 2021 10:58 AM

Aug 2013
So Alfred is the type of MC not recognising that Marius is a girl. XD

I wasn't planning to watch this since there was a lot of anime out this season, too mant for me to watch XD. I might binge watch the whole thing once it finishes airing. Let's see how thing turns out.

Jan 6, 2021 11:26 AM

Nov 2014

anyone know how far this is from the anime?
Jan 6, 2021 11:27 AM

Mar 2016
Not the absolute worst thing in the world, but I find little to no interest or value in this as I've seen shit like this countless times before and frankly the lackluster production quality doesn't help, either. It's like opening up yet another bag of plain Lays chips.
Jan 6, 2021 11:35 AM

Aug 2017
is marius actually a woman? or does he just happen to look female?
Jan 6, 2021 11:38 AM

Oct 2017
Your average fantasy story from a game but as usual seems like I'll like it. Marius is keeping her identity and gender a secret so waiting to see her identity revealed will be something worth looking forward to. The mc is okay, seems like he'll grow on me as the show progresses and I really dun like the red hair dude, he's annoying.

OP/ED were both great.
Jan 6, 2021 11:38 AM
Feb 2018
-Elevate- said:

Jan 6, 2021 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
Dang this is looking promising. Already 10x better than king’s raid. Excited for next episode
Jan 6, 2021 11:50 AM

Feb 2019
The artistic direction… The writing… The production… Nothing here is particularly good. It does try a little bit with the action scenes, but is badly lacking the animation budget to make them look good and even if it did, is far too verbose in far too banal ways.
n the last five minutes alone, at least three different people say something along the lines of "be strong to protect the things you care about." It might be able to pass itself off as a very budget Fire Emblem kind of story at best, but the emphasis is very much on the low budget side. The characters aren't interesting. The plot is a Fu** generic fantasy dross. The production is the lower end of mediocre.
I guess at least the dumb magical animal was only around for about 10 seconds, but since the second episode is apparently focused on the little sister maid character and it, I suspect this is going to be getting far worse before it gets better, if it ever does at all.
Jan 6, 2021 11:51 AM

Jun 2014
An ok start I suppose, first impressions seem to indicate that this show doesn't have any stand out qualities so far, nor does it give off any vibes that it'll be anything special. I guess this will be just another average war story but I'll stick with it and see where things go.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 6, 2021 1:09 PM

Apr 2016
-Elevate- said:

Oh come on man, how long have you been watching anime ...
Jan 6, 2021 1:18 PM

Mar 2020
Not a huge fan of this show but it does have a few things going for it. It's animation and opening/endings songs are pretty good to be honest. For me this anime lacks the quality of entertainment.
Jan 6, 2021 1:25 PM

Aug 2015
Nice opening and ending.

Looking forward to more.
#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Jan 6, 2021 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
I was so excited when I heard Takehito Koyasu voicing a character... and then he died lmao
Well, I still have TsudaKen
OP and ED were nice. I loved MY FIRST STORY's song!

Not a bad start, I'll keep watching for now.
Although Nonnoria's voice already got on my nerves -.-
Jan 6, 2021 2:59 PM
Apr 2012
So far I'd say this is pretty damn good actually? Like Magatsu Wahrheit before it, this may actually be a pretty solid anime based on a game. At least so far I'm really enjoying it!
Jan 6, 2021 3:47 PM

Nov 2013
i thought this was going to be more of a princess connect type of story but (at least for now) i'm not disappointed to be wrong lol

will we have a new Yona in this anime? :D

i have one question tho, isn't the blonde kid the king now? then what kind of "lord" is the mc? do they just have lords for each town or something?
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 6, 2021 4:33 PM
Jan 2020
Is this one going to be finished out or it is just another "Ad-mine" for a mobile game?
Jan 6, 2021 4:34 PM
Jan 2017
Did the blood on his eye's just vanished? hmm.
An okay episode, hoping for more interesting things to happen
Jan 6, 2021 4:36 PM

Sep 2020
AyyMayy said:
Nice opening and ending.

Looking forward to more.

Agreed, they're both surprisingly nice.
The opening is showcasing a lot of cool looking characters and the ending is beautiful.
Jan 6, 2021 5:01 PM

Dec 2015
Cool OP/ED.... and that's about it. Looks like a pretty expensive piece of marketing campaign.
Jan 6, 2021 5:12 PM
Aug 2018
I wrote a longer-winded post, but I realized the easiest way to describe this anime is exceedingly, overwhelmingly average. Average plot, average characters, average animation. Tsuda Kenjirou is on the cast, so that's actually a big plus, but other than that, I don't really see any particularly interesting things about this anime. The score is a little above average, but it's the sort of tried-and-true Japanese take on Western Romantic/Impressionist composition and orchestration that one could find in multitudes of anime, so not anything to write home about. The one exception was that the ED was surprisingly good; I thoroughly enjoyed that song!

Reading the posts here, I see this is an adaptation of a mobile game?! That's so weird. There are likely hundreds of anime shows with an identical plot and just as easily forgettable characters, and hundreds more outside of anime. Which really begs the question: why was this made? Who asked for this? Did we really need yet another rehashing of this literally age-old tale?
Jan 6, 2021 6:30 PM
Jun 2017
love the OST used in this one.. and well i might watch this one....
Jan 6, 2021 6:42 PM
Jun 2019
Haven't watched it yet, but at least it got familiar voices (VA) and good animation, I will give it a try
Jan 6, 2021 8:17 PM
Mar 2017
animejas said:
This episode and show had the same amount of flavor as Cheese-Whiz. So bland and bad that it made me feel sick consuming it. This was just so full of nothing for me, but then again I have never played the game so maybe its just not for me. Dropped for now, may return to it someday if I hear good things about it in future episodes. Shame that a MY FIRST STORY opening was used for this.

well nobody cares for one. And second, to drop a show and degrade it with such degree with just the FIRST ep is well, shallow in most people's opinions. Not every show will have a banger first ep, and frankly this race of having the most catchy first ep is actually hurting some shows that would have had better development in the long run. Also, this first ep is actually quite nice. U do u, but just know that most people dont agree with you, and nobody cares if you want to come back or not
Jan 6, 2021 8:50 PM
Dec 2018
Can't stand the annoying mascot that ends everything it says with "moru", as if this is a show for kids.

Story is as generic as it gets. Apparently it comes from a mobile game...

With many great shows this season, this one is a safe DROP.
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Jan 6, 2021 9:32 PM

Apr 2008
skysurf said:
Can't stand the annoying mascot that ends everything it says with "moru", as if this is a show for kids.

Can't believe this is the first mention of that creature. Even if we somehow ignore how bland the show is, the only thing it has going for it is a bloody war. How can anyone take that seriously with the mascot character floating around?
Jan 6, 2021 10:00 PM

Dec 2016
It was a boring start.

It's really similar to King's Raid but King's Raid is getting enjoyable slowly so I guess I should give this one a few more episodes to see if it deserves to be dropped...

Love the OP and ED.
Jan 6, 2021 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
Uuuhhh huh.

I feel like that tried setting a scene, and then just rushed to the next one without giving a second to accept and respond to whats just happened. Like the story could be interesting, but it's so super rushed. It's not bad, but oof.
Jan 6, 2021 11:17 PM
Sep 2020
Just an introductory episode to this anime. Liked it and highly looking forward to this.
Jan 7, 2021 2:15 AM
Sep 2015
This is a waste opportunity, it has so many DILF and bara characters and even werewolf to fulfill my furry fetish, but the violence is so high, the death toll far exceed what I can accept.
Jan 7, 2021 3:35 AM

Oct 2010
Generic and bland.
Only values are VA inherited from game and OP/ED.
Well, it could be a decent show for 5-year-old if not all that gore.
Jan 7, 2021 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
Episode already started tense and sad i hope the Alfred I got strong

Mod Edit: Removed unrelated picture. Please use your signature.
Koito91Jan 18, 2021 12:38 PM
Jan 7, 2021 3:45 AM

Jun 2016
I was expecting something surprisingly worse, but it seems to be a series that I'm going to enjoy.
A very good animation for an anime based on a video game.
Jan 7, 2021 3:48 AM
Jan 2015
I actually expected it to be worse i started the first episode willing to drop it if it was really bad.
but to my surprise i was able to finish it
if we are giving it a rate from 1 to 5
i'll give it a 3 as a starter
and who knows maybe it gets better next episodes or it worse (:
Jan 7, 2021 3:56 AM
Nov 2020
First ep doesn't really impress me. The animation is decent, but the story is nothing special and the characters are so typical ones. I don't feel like keep watching this one.
Jan 7, 2021 4:24 AM

Jun 2013
the OP and ED are good at least
Jan 7, 2021 6:39 AM

Sep 2015
timzki said:

anyone know how far this is from the anime?

That video belongs to the opening of the second arc of the game, the first arc never had an official opening other than some animation sequences of the PV

The third arc of the story also has an official opening but it is full of spoilers and I do not recommend watching it.

Bio said:
skysurf said:

Can't believe this is the first mention of that creature. Even if we somehow ignore how bland the show is, the only thing it has going for it is a bloody war. How can anyone take that seriously with the mascot character floating around?

The pets work just like all other gachas game pets, Vyrn in Granblue also has the same role and is something that was used quite a few gachasfor 2014/15.

Simply that the character here is much more secondary.
winddevil1 said:

i have one question tho, isn't the blonde kid the king now? then what kind of "lord" is the mc? do they just have lords for each town or something?

The last
Jan 7, 2021 6:52 AM

Nov 2013
I don't think it was horrible but because the oversaturated JRPG anime plot and setting, I can understand people just fed up about it.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 7, 2021 6:58 AM

Sep 2016
Lol at people downplaying something only because the trope is oversaturated...just don't watch it?

Anyway. Just decent, for now. Not too good. Not too bad.

Also lol really? People above not getting such an obvious hint about "the boy"...I mean, they clearly didn't watch the episode then.
bruh
Jan 7, 2021 7:17 AM
Dec 2018
I know nothing about the game this is from...

So if I am understanding the plot so far, Duke Werewolf attacked the capital and killed the King, but was defeated in his attempt to take over the capital and the kingdom. So now there is war between the Kingdom and Duke Werewolf's forces. The Princess was taken away from the capital to save her from Duke Werewolf and the fighting.
So apparently the fighting in the capital is done and it should be safe for her to return. Her younger brother has become the new King. So why is she still in hiding and why is she not the Queen?

I agree, it is bland. I will see how it progresses, but I don't have high hopes.
Jan 7, 2021 7:20 AM
Jan 2017
i dont get why the princess went into hiding, her kingdom was still her own and to me it made no sense why she disappeared on everyone and had her younger brother rule. it would be understandable if the kingdom was taken over but it wasn't.
Jan 7, 2021 7:22 AM
Jan 2017
WinterGR4 said:
I know nothing about the game this is from...

So if I am understanding the plot so far, Duke Werewolf attacked the capital and killed the King, but was defeated in his attempt to take over the capital and the kingdom. So now there is war between the Kingdom and Duke Werewolf's forces. The Princess was taken away from the capital to save her from Duke Werewolf and the fighting.
So apparently the fighting in the capital is done and it should be safe for her to return. Her younger brother has become the new King. So why is she still in hiding and why is she not the Queen?

I agree, it is bland. I will see how it progresses, but I don't have high hopes.
i completely agree with the hiding thing it makes no sense especially because she's gone on to be a solider and thats seems like that would be even more unsafe then being queen
Jan 7, 2021 7:45 AM
Nov 2008
-Elevate- said:

Were you even watching the episode? Honest question.

In any case, my feeling is the same as a few other people mentioned here already. It was an extremely bland presentation. While I have to admit the premise was interesting, the rest completely demolished the expectations I had for the anime. Everything feels way too rushed, the younger brother stays behind and only the princess is taken away for no plausible reason, and the way the troops and their leaders act are just plain stupid.

I'd be lying if I didn't say Nonnoria and the cat that were the last drop on making me decide to drop this.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» what made this anime score low? please explain without spoilers the story line ..

FarhanKun - Apr 11, 2021

13 by MadVandal »»
Dec 30, 2023 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hortensia Saga (TV) Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 13, 2021

47 by klompa »»
Nov 7, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Hortensia Saga (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2021

73 by Rexicek159 »»
Sep 12, 2022 12:59 PM

» Should I drop this ?

Roronoa_alex01 - Jan 13, 2021

17 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 2, 2022 10:17 PM

Poll: » Hortensia Saga (TV) Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2021

24 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 2, 2022 9:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.