Forum Settings
Forums

Times when an Anime far exceeded it's Manga in terms of quality

New
Sep 16, 2019 10:09 PM
May 2019
Everyone talks about how the Manga is usually better, but what about the times when the Anime exceeds the Manga?
Sep 16, 2019 10:11 PM

Jul 2015
Attack on Titan

Kimetsu no Yaiba

These 2 comes in my mind now.

Sep 16, 2019 10:31 PM

Oct 2018
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Mo Dao Zu Shi (well, main source is novel but there's official an official comic on it)

Mahoutsukai no Yome

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Sep 16, 2019 11:04 PM
Dec 2017
For me it is mahouka ret.... I'm forgetting the name.
Sep 16, 2019 11:29 PM

Oct 2017
Your Lie in April - Just the music and colouring makes the already great manga so much better

Mushishi - (imo) Debatable but for me the OST, the ambient sounds along with the relaxing peace made it so much more enjoyable.

Hidamari Sketch - Better in every way what else is there to say.

Sep 16, 2019 11:31 PM

Aug 2019
I prefer colours and moving pictures so about 80% anime adaptions>manga for me at least.
Sep 17, 2019 12:00 AM

Jan 2017
3-gatsu no Lion

Natsume Yuujinchou

Gin no Saji
Sep 17, 2019 3:35 AM

Jun 2017
Most 4-koma and music themed adaptations...
Sep 17, 2019 3:37 AM

Oct 2018
Definitely k-on. The manga was a horrible slice of life but was saved when adapted by Kyoani

Sep 17, 2019 4:16 AM

Jul 2013
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Not only is it a very faithful adaptation but the additional scenes they put in the anime are also great.

Gotouge obviously knows how to draw. She makes beautiful art but panels she deem not that important look like scribbles most of the time. The art by ufotable is consistent and the most visually-improved aspect of the manga is probably the water breathing techniques.

Given

It's a music manga so it's obviously going to be better with actual music instead of just imagining the sounds and the adaptation didn't disappoint.
Sep 17, 2019 4:18 AM

Feb 2010
Most of the time when the adaption doesn't deviate too much from the source material it is a better experience because it has color, voices, movement, music etc....

Sourcefaggotry is a scourge.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 17, 2019 4:20 AM

Jun 2019
Hunter x Hunter 2011 for sure.

I also preferred the Naruto anime over the manga, but mostly because the fight scenes were better and because the music adds so much in that world.

Sep 17, 2019 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
One punchman, mob psycho, Bnha come to mind
Sep 17, 2019 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Well any anime originals can far exceed the manga. Or maybe that doesn't count.

I'm not a manga reader since I prefer sound, music, colors and moving images.

But I've heard a few shows that are claimed to be better than the manga such as Demon Slayer and Your Lie In April.
Sep 17, 2019 2:13 PM

Jan 2009
Mob Psycho 100 for sure hopefully it gets a 3rd/final season
Sep 18, 2019 9:35 AM

Sep 2018
Since it almost never happens the only one that comes to mind would be:

Kimetsu no Yaiba, while the story and Characters stay at a meh level the direction makes it a decent show

Monogatari (novel but also has a manga), amazing voice acting bring the very well writtin dialogue to live, very detailed animation

Mob Psycho, ONE is not the most talented person when it comes to drawing, great direction by Bones
-Mullerio-Sep 18, 2019 9:42 AM
Sep 22, 2019 8:31 AM

Mar 2009
The more I grow older, I read more manga and watching adaptations is really boring to me. But some are so good that I drop manga and go to be Anime only.:
Gintama, Konosuba, JoJo(especial part 5 with from one of my least favorite part in manga, made me love it the most in Anime), Mob Psycho, HunterxHunter(manga at some point before chimera ant Arc becomes stickman, those isint even sketches at this point)
People say Attack on Titan, I stooped watching at season 2, it was great, but since I read manga like couple months before season 2, it was really boring to watch story that was still fresh in my mind)
Add to this all music shows, because manga were main theme is music, without any music is just wierd :D.
3 setps to become Masochist:
1. Read source material
2. Watch anime adaptation
3. Suffer
Bonus Step: Tell everyone that anime is crap becouse Manga/Novel is better (duh..)

How to find the worst trash anime ever, so bad that people should be ashamed for even knowing this trash exist:
1. Check your favorite anime
2. Enjoy your shit taste pleb
Works everytime for everyone.
Sep 22, 2019 11:31 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
TheKawaiiToon said:
Well any anime originals can far exceed the manga. Or maybe that doesn't count.

That's pretty true, I was about to mention Uta Kata here (oops did it anyway, everyoneneedstogowatchitnowitssuperunderratedman), but then again it was an anime original
The only anime original with a manga that was equally good that I can think of is Madoka Magica

But anyway, Uta Kata's manga ramped up the fanservice, which is what I hated the most about the original anime (even though it was mainly some tame shots around the girl's skirt most of the time in the anime, but I still found myself creeped out when it happened lol)
Sep 23, 2019 8:36 AM

Aug 2017
It depends of the anime and the manga. Generally, music anime are better than music manga cuz I can hear the songs and the music or shounen can have better fights that the manga.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 23, 2019 8:46 AM

Feb 2017
I would say the following:

Shokugeki no Soma (When showing about Gourmet cooking, of course presentation is important which is done great in an anime rather than a black and white manga)

Classroom of the Elite (Havent read the manga fully but heard MC's character is much better in the anime and after watching the anime, I wont settle for any less)

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei (Nice visuals make me appreciate the show more)
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Sep 24, 2019 4:10 AM

Jul 2019
For me its JoJo. I have watched the anime and read the manga and I can say I enjoyed the anime more so far. I would also say The disatrous life of saiki k
Sep 24, 2019 4:15 AM

Jan 2018
What, I never agree that manga is better than anime, even though they cut content to rush production. I think those sort of people are just motivating themselves to keep on reading manga because they can't afford to make time to watch anime.
Sep 24, 2019 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
Houseki no Kuni, demon slayer and movies like A silent voice, your name, the garden of words and other movies like that. I feel like these movies with a proper animation, sound and voice actors are far better than their manga.
Sep 24, 2019 4:54 AM
Mar 2011
there is none
muisc does not count ofr a reason since no song are written for anime any more so no songs based on lyrical content really fit any anime anymore an ot me lyical conent and lyical context matter to me
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 24, 2019 4:56 AM

Jun 2019
There aren't many of them but Tokyo Ghoul exceeded in that intent for sure.
Sep 24, 2019 4:58 AM
Apr 2016
Does anyone remember what happened to Golden Wind(Manga to Anime)?
Sep 24, 2019 5:00 AM

Jun 2019
Sateramao said:
Does anyone remember what happened to Golden Wind(Manga to Anime)?
Nothing much, it made the manga look like garbage in comparison.
Sep 24, 2019 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
Jojo part 1 and 2 are better than the manga because they improve character design. Back then Araki could not draw as well and design was atrocious when compared to other buffed heroes manga. But after part 3 manga becomes better than the anime and part 4 and 5 had to cut content and had 39 instead of 50 episodes as it should for that volume length.

Also Lady Georgie and Oniisama E improve the manga art significantly too.
Sep 24, 2019 5:29 AM
Sep 2018
Natsume Yuujinchou
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Sep 24, 2019 6:17 AM
Oct 2018
FrozenLich said:

Classroom of the Elite (Havent read the manga fully but heard MC's character is much better in the anime and after watching the anime, I wont settle for any less

Whoever said that to you is wrong. Ayanakoji is better in ln than anime
Sep 24, 2019 6:21 AM
Apr 2019
I Don't know that many but in recent times Attack on Titan and Demon Slayer, two perfect example where anime is way much better than the manga,, specially for the Demon Slayer.
Sep 24, 2019 6:27 AM

Nov 2018
For me, it's Seven Deadly Sins and I think others are already mentioned.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 24, 2019 6:30 AM
Aug 2015
k-on is definitely the biggest change in quality I have seen
Sep 24, 2019 6:33 AM
Aug 2015
hazecloud said:
What, I never agree that manga is better than anime, even though they cut content to rush production. I think those sort of people are just motivating themselves to keep on reading manga because they can't afford to make time to watch anime.

NOPE. There are some animes where its impossible to say the anime is better, for example tokyo ghoul. And time-wise manga can take longer to read than watching the anime
Sep 24, 2019 6:50 AM

Jan 2018
epicyarnboy said:
hazecloud said:

NOPE. There are some animes where its impossible to say the anime is better, for example tokyo ghoul. And time-wise manga can take longer to read than watching the anime

Can't disagree on that unfortunately because it was hard just trying to finish season 1. Manga can just be better than anime for people that prefer pure content over animated content that's gonna get cut here and there. It's the satisfaction vs fun probably?
Sep 24, 2019 8:01 AM
Sep 24, 2019 8:17 AM

Jan 2015
Agree with people on Attack on Titan and Kimetsu no Yaiba.

But my top pick for this would be Bleach. The manga is absolutely crap with weekly chapters that end in less than 2 mins. The anime's first 60 episodes were masterfully done with amazing soundtrack. Seriously, Bleach has some of the best soundtrack in any anime and it was able to retain that quality for the entirety of its run. Even when the story became boring, the soundtrack always kept it going. If not for fillers, Bleach could have been a brilliant classic as an anime. Alas though.
Sep 24, 2019 8:22 AM
Feb 2017
Obligatory Mob Psycho 100 II......
Sep 24, 2019 10:29 AM

Jun 2009
Hunter x Hunter (2011), Sailor Moon (the one from the 90's not the new Crystal remake), Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (only the OVA, not the tv anime), Attack on Titan, Mob Psycho 100, Natsume Yuujinchou & Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Sep 24, 2019 10:40 AM

Jun 2014
Danshi koukousei no nichijou - 10x funnier than the manga. The atmosphere, voice acting and the music were awesome.
Sep 24, 2019 10:44 AM

Jul 2013
I'm gonna add that comedy in general seems to exceed its source material solely due to the timing and voice acting. Seitokai Yakuindomo and Working for instance.
Sep 24, 2019 10:44 AM

Jun 2015
Kimetsu no Yaiba (great animation), Made in Abyss (stellar art and soundtrack), Mushishi and Kekkai Sensen (both soundtracks peferctly complement the mood of their shows) and the new adaptations of Dororo and Devilman, which managed to turn old kid's manga into more mature anime (with different degrees of success).

Tohsaka_Rukia said:
I'm gonna add that comedy in general seems to exceed its source material solely due to the timing and voice acting. Seitokai Yakuindomo and Working for instance.
The only time I've preferred a comedy manga to its anime was with Servant x Service (same mangaka as Working, which I also like). The timing of the jokes on the anime just wasn't as good as in the 4-koma panels. Sometimes what should've been a quick gag got turned into a long one and vice-versa. Wonder if things like this are rare or if it's a natural consequence of the 4-koma format.
AnotherGuySep 24, 2019 11:01 AM
Sep 24, 2019 6:17 PM

Feb 2017
25NOVember said:

Whoever said that to you is wrong. Ayanakoji is better in ln than anime

Well I haven't read the LN either. If he is better in LN, then I have to read it. Can you link me the LN to read somewhere?
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Sep 30, 2019 7:36 PM

Aug 2018
AnotherGuy said:
Kimetsu no Yaiba (great animation), Made in Abyss (stellar art and soundtrack), Mushishi and Kekkai Sensen (both soundtracks peferctly complement the mood of their shows) and the new adaptations of Dororo and Devilman, which managed to turn old kid's manga into more mature anime (with different degrees of success).

You think the Devilman manga is for kids? I'm betting you haven't tried reading it. I think you would change your mind if you did.

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

28 by Damuzen »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

58 by Rachiba »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

7 by Piromysl »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 4 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
9 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 11 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.