Forum Settings
Forums

Should all anime be watched in release order?

New
Sep 15, 2019 2:12 PM
Aug 2017
Hey guys and girls.
I am just wondering whether it is for the best to watch any in anime in the release order and not in chronological, since watching in chronological order comes with many faults. For example I only watched monogatari series in release order, because it just felt right. Becasue authors or studios can create another prequal which can mess up your chronological viewing order.
So I came back to it again, since I will be watching the fate series and I will try to watch by release order, hopefully myanimelist have them all and with correct air dates. Many said watch it in chronological, but as my previous point, it's rather insufficient if they release yet another prequal, so I think watching the series by air date is the best choice, because there's nothing to lose. Because when it comes out it will be the time it came out, not screwing around which comes first and then next in the time narrative.
Sep 15, 2019 2:15 PM

Sep 2014
generally, I think release order is the best, this is the 'intended experience'.

there definitely are some exceptions to it - the JoJo ova is so out of context it's confusing to start with and potentially spoils some stuff (I didn't mind it, but still watching it felt stupid like who the hell are these guys and what is this show about?)
Sep 15, 2019 2:16 PM

Jul 2012
Generally yes, release order in regards to anime tends to be the intended viewing order. Because their assumption going into later seasons is that they don't have to revisit or go over past events in depth under the assumption that the viewers have been keeping up to date.

The only time that chronological order may be superior is if you've already read the source material and are just trying to experience the series in a different format. Because in that scenario you don't generally need anything explained to you.
Sep 15, 2019 2:22 PM

Jun 2019
No, I prefer to watch everything in chronological order where and when this applies. I'm not familiar with the Monogatari series (I mean I've heard of it, but never seen a single episode), but I saw this discussion around The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I watched the entire series chronologically and preferred it that way. Reason why? I don't particularly enjoy non-chronological storytelling. Simple as that. If people disagree with that perspective, oh well. They can watch it as they wish and I'll watch it as I wish.

There is no right way and no rule for the way "all anime should be watched". It should be watched in whichever way you prefer, in the way which provides you, the individual viewer, with your own tastes, likes, and dislikes, the optimum viewing experience. I'll always opt for chronological because that's how I enjoy my stories told.
Sep 15, 2019 2:43 PM
Sep 2019
I say release order, If people enjoyed it when it released without having a prequel that explains the background/origins, I think you will enjoy it too following the same order.

Also there are some risks to screw up a plot twist in the original series if you watch the prequel, An example of that is Star Wars (Its not an anime but who cares), If you watch the prequels you will know who is who and therefore you will be not surprised about some plot twist.

That's my opinion but i also haven't watched fate series so i don't what is the best way to watch it.
MiatafagSep 15, 2019 2:50 PM
Sep 15, 2019 2:57 PM

Jul 2013
Imagine trying to watch Non Non Biyori in chronological order.

You should always experience every media in its intended order, at least for the first viewing. They were made that way for a reason. In some cases, knowing a certain information before you supposed to can ruin your entire experience with the story.
Sep 15, 2019 3:06 PM
May 2019
It's usually the safest way to watch anime, but sometimes I prefer to watch anime in chronological order.
Sep 15, 2019 4:59 PM

Oct 2008
I don't know about all anime, but in my opinion the Monogatari series should be watched chronologically. While the Fate series should be watched in release order. In the end you try both and decide which of the two is the better experience.
Sep 15, 2019 5:04 PM

Jul 2019
I've always watched anime in release order. I rather not try to experiment with some things but I probably will depending on the anime

Sep 15, 2019 5:06 PM

Oct 2017
In that case the whole debate about how watch fate would be over being first FSN then UBW (movie) then FZ then UBW and then HF.

But you won't have problem finding someone that says that said order is wrong for one reason or other.

So if you have doubts waching so something on chronological or release order i would recommend just asking the fanbase which one makes more sense instead of just blindly watching it on release order.

Sep 15, 2019 5:06 PM

Feb 2010
Generally yes because if you don't some episodes or seasons will expect you to know things - about the characters, the worldbuilding, plot relevant details, information that emotionally charges scenes - that you simply don't know yet because chronologically that information was not revealed yet but for the regular viewer it was, making the viewing experience slightly worse at best and utterly confusing in the worst cases.

Just imagine trying to watch a movie like 'Memento' chronologically. 90% of what the movie is about, what makes it an exciting watch, comes from the narrative being told in reverse. Sure, it's one of the most extreme examples I can think of, but it's not that far off from something like Jinrui or Hidamari Sketch in anime.

You can also think about it like this: Would you really want to watch any flashback scene, any backstory that is revealed that a show included 'before' the actual show and then remove those scenes from the show? I don't think even the most enthusiastic chronology-watchers (@WatchTillTandava ?) would say that's a good idea, not to mention that it's impossible when it's just individual scenes instead of whole episods or seasons. But it's the same principle when episodes or seasons are not released chronology, just on a larger scale. WHEN information is revealed in a narrative is vital to guaranteeing a smooth viewing experience, so why would you risk ruining that for you? It's both unfair to you and to the show.

Of course it's not always that big of a deal, so if you do your research on a case by case basis it shouldn't be a huge problem for some cases, but on average I'd say it's not a good idea. If you don't like non-chronological storytelling, you can always just skip the small amount of shows that really thrive on it instead of potentially butchering your experience with them. It's not like it's THAT popular.
AlcoholicideSep 15, 2019 6:28 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2019 5:52 PM

Nov 2018
I'd also prefer to watch anime in chronological order but sometime it messed up even if we watch it this like like "Kara No Kyoukai" anime movie series.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 15, 2019 6:24 PM

Mar 2015
For most of the time, yes. Because it's what the director intended it to be. but there's always an exception, where there might be a reboot or something like the fate universe, you should watch it in which ways you prefered.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 15, 2019 6:26 PM

Mar 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
No, I prefer to watch everything in chronological order where and when this applies. I'm not familiar with the Monogatari series (I mean I've heard of it, but never seen a single episode), but I saw this discussion around The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I watched the entire series chronologically and preferred it that way. Reason why? I don't particularly enjoy non-chronological storytelling. Simple as that. If people disagree with that perspective, oh well. They can watch it as they wish and I'll watch it as I wish.

There is no right way and no rule for the way "all anime should be watched". It should be watched in whichever way you prefer, in the way which provides you, the individual viewer, with your own tastes, likes, and dislikes, the optimum viewing experience. I'll always opt for chronological because that's how I enjoy my stories told.

For Suzumiya Haruhi, I prefered the released order since It ends a series in a perfect note. Even though the Suzumiya Haruhi has a timeline but it's very loosely based since its arc is a story on its own and have little connections.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 16, 2019 2:01 AM

May 2018
"Should all anime be watched in release order?"

In 99% of the cases - yes.
But there are some exceptions like Haruhi, the last two Votoms OVAs, some of the Fate instalments ect.
Sep 16, 2019 2:24 AM

Sep 2019
WatchTillTandava said:

Same with dragon Ball, Naruto and Tokyo ghoul too?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 16, 2019 10:04 AM

Jun 2019
Peeti said:
WatchTillTandava said:

Same with dragon Ball, Naruto and Tokyo ghoul too?

I've never watched those shows, but as a general rule I watch everything chronologically. I'm not talking about when a franchise releases a prequel years later, but shows that deliberately begin in a jumbled and non-chronological order from the beginning (like in the case of Haruhi). It's just the way I prefer it. I want my stories told in the most linear way possible.
Sep 16, 2019 10:20 AM

Jun 2016
90% of the time I go to wikipedia because they have them neatly ordered in release order. In rare cases like the gundam franchise I'm currently watching or other huge franchises that many entries are not directly connected with others like fate, I watch in random order, whatever I feel like at that day.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST

Jun 2016
90% of the time I go to wikipedia because they have them neatly ordered in release order. In rare cases like the gundam franchise I'm currently watching or other huge franchises that many entries are not directly connected with others like fate, I watch in random order, whatever I feel like at that day.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST

Jun 2016
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 16, 2019 1:19 PM

Jun 2017
i tend to stick closer to release order, tends to more effectively capture the spirit of the watching experience of when it's first released, an example being the wtf of haruhi episode 00. would say the same about star wars too :p

honestly if you like watching it a certain way, and that certain has you watching it and liking it, then it doesn't really matter to me

JustMonaka said:
Imagine trying to watch Non Non Biyori in chronological order.

that might be one of the worst animes to care about watching orders for lol,
Sep 16, 2019 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
In the case of Fate, following the release order doesn't make sense to me (as Heimur predicted above) because FSN spoils FZ and FZ spoils HF. The release order will spoil both FZ and HF for you. It would be better if only one of the series is spoiled meaning watching either FZ first and everything else in release order, or all of FSN, UBW and HF followed by FZ.
Sep 16, 2019 2:00 PM

Jun 2012
Generally, yes.

However, when talking about Fate series then it's more complicated than yes and no. Fate Zero anime was aired 10 years earlier. I don't know what TYPE-MOON was thinking at that time. So I suggest you should just wait a few more years.... Wait for the completion of the trilogy of Heaven's Feel to be specific.
Sep 16, 2019 2:06 PM

Oct 2017
What kind thw question it's that?

Generally, yes.

If you not watch in release order , you will undertand never
Sep 16, 2019 2:16 PM
Jan 2017
WatchTillTandava said:

Watching the Monogatari Series in order is almost impossible. You'd have to switch between different seasons when you're in the middle of one and will even have to start one of the seasons with one of the later episodes. This is because Monogatari is written out of order. Someone made sense of the chronology if you really wanted to watch it that way, but I don't think it's worth it. Here it is, for anyone wondering:
Kizumonogatari Part 1,2,3
-Koyomimonogatari Ep1
-Nekomonogatari Ep1-4
-Bakemonogatari Ep1-2
-Koyomimonogatari Ep2
-Bakemonogatari Ep3-5
-Bakemonogatari Ep-6-8
-Bakemonogatari Ep9-10
-Bakemonogatari Ep11-15
-Koyomimonogatari Ep3-4
-Nisemonogatari Ep1-7
-Koyomimonogatari Ep5
-Nisemonogatari Ep8-11
-Monogatari SS Ep 7-10
-Monogatari SS Ep17-20
-Owarimonogatari Ep7-12-
-Monogatari SS Ep1-5
-Koyomimonogatari Ep6-7
-Owarimonogatari Ep1
-Owarimonogatari Ep2-6
-Koyomimonogatari Ep8
-Monogatari SS Ep12-15
-Koyomimonogatari Ep9
-Monogatari SS Ep21-26
-Koyomimonogatari Ep10
-Tsukimonogatari Ep1-4
-Koyomimonogatari Ep11-12
-Hanamonogatari Ep1-5
Sep 16, 2019 2:34 PM

Aug 2016
As for Fate, I do recommend watching it in release order. But the original novels release order rather than the anime order.

Fate/Stay Night -> Unlimited Bladeworks ->Heaven's Feel ->Zero

Reason being is that Zero was written after the originals, but was adapted between FSN and UBW, and drops a lot of spoilers for the rest within the first couple of episodes. Heaven's Feel is only up to movie 2 out of 3 however, but the majority of Heaven's Feels spoilers that Zero reveals are already covered by the end of movie 2. So i'd say the best order (currently) to watch it in is

https://myanimelist.net/anime/356/Fate_stay_night

https://myanimelist.net/anime/27821/Fate_stay_night__Unlimited_Blade_Works_Prologue
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22297/Fate_stay_night__Unlimited_Blade_Works
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28701/Fate_stay_night__Unlimited_Blade_Works_2nd_Season
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31389/Fate_stay_night__Unlimited_Blade_Works_2nd_Season_-_Sunny_Day

https://myanimelist.net/anime/25537/Fate_stay_night_Movie__Heavens_Feel_-_I_Presage_Flower
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33049/Fate_stay_night_Movie__Heavens_Feel_-_II_Lost_Butterfly

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10087/Fate_Zero
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11741/Fate_Zero_2nd_Season

and then wait for the final HF movie to be released. Everything else is a spin-off series and is mostly standalone so can be watched at any time and in any order.
Sep 16, 2019 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
Is always better to look at it in one by one case rather than take it as a general norm. Generally an anime main series is produced and prequels come after just to expand upon certain plot points for the sake of world building, a character back-story, etc... with hardly any correlation to the main plot, however there is also the chance that you will find yourself clueless with what is happening without the necessary context. That said there is also always the chance that the studio went for something more experimental in the sense that the first thing they produced like a small series/movie/ova was more viewed in the sense of being a prototype for a bigger project and thus without necessarily ties with each other or being trully completed.
So always better to inform yourself, tho yes in majority of cases going by order of release is the default.
Sep 16, 2019 4:02 PM

Jan 2018
that would depend on the series, some is better to watch in the release order because if you watch it chronologicaly you will miss a lot of things that were explained on the first season, like fate. if you start with zero you might not know a lot of things about the servants or the grial war and it would also spoil some cool revelations.
Sep 17, 2019 4:21 AM

May 2018
Renn said:
As for Fate, I do recommend watching it in release order. But the original novels release order rather than the anime order.

Since Heaven's Feel wouldn't be completed for an year or two or three...one must ditch Fate/Zero?

Naaah.

It's totally fine to start with F/Z. Yes it would spoil you for some stuff but on the other hand SN/UBW/HF will spoil you for F/Z.
Also F/Z has the best explanations for the rules and SN/UBW/HF only partial ones and than begin to twist them.
Sep 17, 2019 4:26 AM

Aug 2016
alshu said:
Renn said:

Since Heaven's Feel wouldn't be completed for an year or two or three...one must ditch Fate/Zero?

Naaah.

It's totally fine to start with F/Z. Yes it would spoil you for some stuff but on the other hand SN/UBW/HF will spoil you for F/Z.
Also F/Z has the best explanations for the rules and SN/UBW/HF only partial ones and than begin to twist them.
I never said to ditch Zero, I said to at the very least watch it after catching up to HF movie 2 as by that point the majority of the spoilers are covered.

As for "spoiling Zero" you have to remember that Fate/Zero was written after Fate/Stay Nights Visual novel, meaning that you are supposed to know the ending, you know how it will all play out, but not how it gets to that point. To back this up, at the very end of each episode of Fate/Zero is a timer counting down. Counting down to the inevitable ending that is also the moment where Fate/Stay Night begins. Fate/Zero is a tragedy at heart, and that can only be fully experienced if you have knowledge of it beforehand from Fate/Stay Night.

Sep 17, 2019 4:33 AM

Apr 2013
I always watch in release order and am pretty statisfied so far. Even with Fate and Monogatari it worked out quite well imo.
Sep 17, 2019 4:43 AM

Dec 2015
In case of Monogatari series, it's better to watch Kizu after Bake, just like the LN. There is no reason on why you shouldn't know the events of Kizu on the beggining of the series. It will only make you more confused in some topics of the show
Sep 17, 2019 5:52 AM

May 2018
Renn said:

As for "spoiling Zero" you have to remember that Fate/Zero was written after Fate/Stay Nights Visual novel, meaning that you are supposed to know the ending

My point is that the one way spoils the other - its inevitable.

Renn said:
you know how it will all play out, but not how it gets to that point

Not necessary.
Like ufotable went the opposite way and it worked.

Renn said:
Counting down to the inevitable ending that is also the moment where Fate/Stay Night begins.

Same goes the other way - after F/Z you know that the HG war is not what it seams and that Shirou is in a bigger mess than he thinks. Other characters also don't see the whole picture. FS/UBW/HF are way more intense this way.

Renn said:
Fate/Zero is a tragedy at heart, and that can only be fully experienced if you have knowledge of it beforehand from Fate/Stay Night.

F/Z is pretty obviously a tragic story even without knowing how it ends - only one winning master-slave team.
"Fully experienced" in your words is more of tearjerking technique. If you keep guessing will your favourite team win or loose the stakes are a bit higher.
alshuSep 17, 2019 5:57 AM
Sep 17, 2019 6:48 AM

Aug 2016
alshu said:
Renn said:

As for "spoiling Zero" you have to remember that Fate/Zero was written after Fate/Stay Nights Visual novel, meaning that you are supposed to know the ending

My point is that the one way spoils the other - its inevitable.

Renn said:
you know how it will all play out, but not how it gets to that point

Not necessary.
Like ufotable went the opposite way and it worked.

Renn said:
Counting down to the inevitable ending that is also the moment where Fate/Stay Night begins.

Same goes the other way - after F/Z you know that the HG war is not what it seams and that Shirou is in a bigger mess than he thinks. Other characters also don't see the whole picture. FS/UBW/HF are way more intense this way.

Renn said:
Fate/Zero is a tragedy at heart, and that can only be fully experienced if you have knowledge of it beforehand from Fate/Stay Night.

F/Z is pretty obviously a tragic story even without knowing how it ends - only one winning master-slave team.
"Fully experienced" in your words is more of tearjerking technique. If you keep guessing will your favourite team win or loose the stakes are a bit higher.

Honestly, well played. I don't disagree with anything you've said. With a series like Fate there is no one watch order that is perfect. Every one has pros and cons. I even wrote a blog post about a year ago on that very point (which I admittedly copy and pasted parts of in my last reply). The point I was trying to make wasn't necessarily that all other watch orders are wrong, but rather why I prefer my preferred order.

Other than avoiding spoilers, there is another reason why I think that. So let me ask you this. How many times on threads like these have you seen people saying to *only* watch Zero and ignore the rest? How many of those do you think started with Zero?

Fate/Zeros biggest flaw is ironically that it is too good. People who start there expect the rest of the series and spinoffs to follow that same mature tone and themes, and are ultimately, disappointed. I will admit though that that clearly doesn't apply to everyone, but it happens enough times that I have to consider that when recommending the series to people.

Stay Nights routes grow gradually darker and darker as they go on. By the time they are up to HF, Zero will feel like a natural follow up to that.
Sep 17, 2019 8:13 AM

May 2018
Renn said:

So let me ask you this. How many times on threads like these have you seen people saying to *only* watch Zero and ignore the rest? How many of those do you think started with Zero?

My case is a bit different.
I tried to start with Deen's F/SN...it's not really that bad but it's excessively battle shounen-ish. For example Shirou has those monologues where he repeats obvious things again and again and again, Saber acts bland and waifu-ish ect...I dropped it.

Years later when F/Z started I was "Naaah, never again." also many people said that it will be incomprehensible without F/SN.
For some reason I decided to watch it anyway. It's was absolutely comprehensible for a beginner. After F/Z I continued with Deen's F/SN and accepted it because I understood it better and ignored Shitou's (and Shinji's) shounen mannerisms also the harem mechanics.

Renn said:
Fate/Zeros biggest flaw is ironically that it is too good. People who start there expect the rest of the series and spinoffs to follow that same mature tone and themes, and are ultimately, disappointed.

But you see if they start with F/SN the most of the people who would like only F/Z will be filtered out and never see it.
If they start with F/Z the ones who like shounen stuff will stay for SN and continue with UBW/HF. Also those who eventually disliked and dropped F/Z can try continuing with the rest.

But I am trying to see the things from a different angle - a newcomer who wants to get into the franchise and is a bit overwhelmed by the volume.
Many of the entries could be very disorienting. This is why I recommend F/Z - it has good explanations about the world, the magic system, the magical organisations and political fractions, the HG war ect.
After it they can continue with any other title even Kara no Kyoukai.

Renn said:

Stay Nights routes grow gradually darker and darker as they go on. By the time they are up to HF, Zero will feel like a natural follow up to that.

Yeah but for some reason anime fans nowadays are afraid of slowly building up stories. They want instant gratification.
alshuSep 17, 2019 8:19 AM
Sep 17, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2016
alshu said:

Yeah but for some reason anime fans nowadays are afraid of slowly building up stories. They want instant gratification.

I think this is the crux of the matter, honestly. I can understand your point about introducing people to the best of the series first to draw them in. And that is absolutely fine on its own. But Fate is a long running series at this point, there's no real getting past that. And much the same with other long running shows, such as One Piece, Gintama or even Part 1 of Jojo's, the general consensus is to stick with it, and that it really starts to get good after episode so and so.

That's how I personally see the Fate series too, yes Deen/Stay Night is not that great and is incredibly dated compared to the newer adaptations, but I do think it's important to start there as it is where the franchise first started as well.

But it does seem we have come to an impasse, so lets just agree Rin is bae and move on.
Sep 17, 2019 8:58 AM
Sep 2017
No, Anime should be wwatched in the order that the creator of the work say it should be watched. Example Monogatari series.

By my understanding you can watch Monogatari in 3 orders

LN release order
Anime release order
Chronological order

I recommend watching in the LN order cause that how the creator intended the story to be.
Sep 17, 2019 9:15 AM

Feb 2019
If watching the Monogatiri series in order felt right, then I'd just do the same for the Fate series. I've never watched any episode of the Fate series, although the amount of alternitive shows does bring plenty to the table to organise.

I like to think of myself as a completionist, I want to watch every show in a series and prefer to watch them in order of release date. For me, there's only a few exceptions to this rule such as when shows decide to do cross-overs and a delay in production time.
Sep 17, 2019 9:43 AM

Apr 2010
I can't talk about ALL of them, but I think that if I could, I would watch Adventures of Sinbad, before Magi. Cause... where's the thrill that you know the end? (though they don't get to the end)

Sep 17, 2019 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Depend how the anime tells the story, some tell the earlier story in S2 before the main story from S1, most of the time you can piece the puzzle.

I actually mess up watching Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou as S1, it suppose to be sequel that tell back story of the main story, and i didn't realize because story telling was subtle that i didn't question it until the last episode, alot missing points never explained then i realize i went the wrong way when i watch the "sequel" that suppose to be the prequel.

Looking at the airing date should able to tell the watch order, but to list something aired 3 years ago as sequel really messed up my watch order.
Sep 24, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2017
It depends on the franchise. Monogatari needs to be watched in release order or novel order at least. Also, I watched the Toaru franchise in chronological order and I didn't have many problems.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 24, 2019 2:36 PM

May 2014
Yep, release order is the way to go when watching something.

More topics from this board

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

47 by Ricchan__ »»
18 seconds ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

52 by bucciest »»
5 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by bucciest »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

24 by bucciest »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.