Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 9, 2019 11:04 AM
Jun 2019
Ergo Proxy and Rec perhaps.

Also, why is this in the anime discussion and not in the anime recommendation forum?
Mods?
Sep 9, 2019 11:20 AM

May 2018
Houseki no Kuni
Serial Experiments Lain
Inferno Cop
Banana Fish
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Initial D
Mushishi
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell
reformed
Sep 9, 2019 11:26 AM

Aug 2018
WIXOSS was very good in my opinion, didn't expected that.
Sep 9, 2019 11:38 AM

Nov 2016
Currently watching Le Chevalier D'Eon and it's really good. Surprised that I never anyone mention it.

Akagi is another great anime that is rarely brought up.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 9, 2019 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
AnimeBW said:
Wolf's Rain flies a little under the radar nowadays, but I think it's easily the best show that Cowboy Bebop's director has ever made. Fantastic storytelling, powerful atmosphere, my favorite anime soundtrack ever, and an ending that ranks among my top 5 anime endings of all time. Just make sure to also watch the 4-episode sequel OVA, as that's the true ending; production issues forced the team to waste 4 episodes on recap, so the proper ending was animated as a separate OVA.
I came into this thread hoping I would run into someone mentioning Wolf's Rain. I'm extremely glad.

It's deep and the symbolism is so straightforward. I loved every bit of it. An overlooked classic imo.

Sep 9, 2019 2:22 PM
Aug 2015
Granbelm that is airing this season is definitely a hidden gem
Sep 9, 2019 3:18 PM

Apr 2014
Moved from Anime Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Sep 9, 2019 3:39 PM
Jan 2019
_namles said:
ayalazhar08 said:
Nabari no ou, hakata tonkotsu no ramens, shiki, classroom of elite

Half of these aren't exactly "hidden" gems, but okay.
oh okay sorry but I think that nabari no ou is a hidden jem
Sep 9, 2019 4:05 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I know I mention this anime all over these forums, but Uta Kata truly is a hidden gem. EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED to fellow Madoka Magica fans.

Some more truly underrated stuff:
  • Air - the underrated and least talked about of the "Key-KyoAni holy trinity" (Air, Kanon 2006, and Clannad)
  • Shamanic Princess - wonderfully animated OVA that mainly only die-hard magical girl otaku have heard of
  • Bottle Fairy - wholesome kids' show about four fairies learning about Japanese culture
  • The Crayon Kingdom of Dreams - a kids' show that I'm sure most people have never heard of. I didn't until I heard the very cute OP here and there. This is another wholesome kids show
  • Twin Spica - TV adaptation of one of my favorite manga of all time (which itself is even more grossly overlooked). A story with a couple of sad parts and about a girl who wants to enter a space school
  • Castle in the Sky - obviously not a hidden gem of an anime movie, but is a hidden gem of Studio Ghibli's overall library. Not many people I know have watched or talked about this one
now here's the part where i'm sorry for making my post longer, but i really feel the need to respond

Xstasy said:
Hmm IDK maybe Angels Egg and Macross
Ayy someone else watched Angel's Egg! A good amount of people know this, but from what I know, it seems mainly the deep anime fans have actually bothered to watch it— it's an anime that isn't discussed that much among the general anime community aside from a couple of YouTube videos on this anime or something
Recommended if you're a fan of Mamoru Oshii

Dauphine said:

Death Parade
Fruits Basket
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Kobato
Kuragehime
Lovely★Complex
Mawaru Penguindrum
Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear
Sugar Sugar Rune

Versailles no Bara
Literally all but two of these anime that you mentioned are not hidden gems lol
Haven't watched Sugar Sugar Rune but I do agree that I don't see much discussion on it. Prétear though... that's an actual hidden gem right there

jarring said:
Machikado Mazoku is the hidden gem of the season.
Ayyy someone agrees with me here, go watch Machikado Mazoku as soon as you can

Nick-Knight said:
Princess Tutu.
Uhh that's not a hidden gem... I hear a lot of magical girl fans all over the Internet recommending this show and even the MAL average score for it shows that it is nowhere near being hidden
It is a good show so far though (I'm still watching it)
Sep 9, 2019 9:59 PM

Oct 2018
Nobunaga Concerto has the most beautiful still frames I've ever seen in anime. Albeit weird CGI, still, a good ride definitely needs to be watched more.

I am on this Crusade telling everyone I know about Tekkon Kinkreet. One of my favorite movies of all time, not just anime movies, but like Movies in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Sep 10, 2019 4:14 AM

May 2012
Oh! Edo Rocket
Hyouge Mono
Kure-nai
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
SeijiSenseiSep 10, 2019 4:18 AM
Sep 10, 2019 5:16 AM

Jul 2014
When you look at an anime like death note, you will see a popular and widespread anime that everyone loves, a hidden gem however, is an anime that has gone unnoticed despite how good it is. There is one anime i have always thought of as a hidden gem and here it is.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/16/Hachimitsu_to_Clover?q=honey

Honey and clover is about a group of college teens/young adult that goes to an art/craftsman college and are struggling to discover one's self. We get invested in the characters as we learn more about them and the anime show/tells us about each characters path and their actions. It's a comedy, drama, slice of life, romance anime. When someone ask me if it is worth watching i always tell them to try and watch the first episode to get a feel for it, because it has a good first episode that gives you a taste of what to expect from it's genre and it's characters personalities. This is on of my all time favorites, a 10/10, a true masterpiece.

Anyway i hope you will give it a try and that you like it.

Happy anime watching :)
Sep 10, 2019 5:44 AM

Jan 2014
Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru - Hilarious, fun time-passer with a ridiculous premise.

Ushio to tora - Old-school shounen, if you like those kind of anime this would be in your alley
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Sep 10, 2019 8:00 AM

Aug 2013
Pelagus said:
HopefulNihilist said:
I think you should first tell us what kind of anime you like, so we can reccomend the right anime.
i like storytelling that goes into certain aspects of society, life, morals etc. ex. death note, code geass
btw why tf is denzel your favorite artist looool, i thin he is really talented but i prefer nas or ye since the are better at storytellin

Watch speedgrapher. it's exactly what you are looking for
Sep 10, 2019 8:26 AM

Feb 2015
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono

Pretty fucking meta and the segments are formulaic, but the best part of the show are the ad-lib segment.

It shouldn't take much time to watch the two seasons as each episode is only 13 minutes long, except the "spin-off."

The guys who made this anime were also behind Kemono Friends
KonradikonSep 10, 2019 8:35 AM
Sep 10, 2019 9:21 AM

Oct 2017
Diamond no Ace - very underrated even if it's popular title
Gakuen Babysitters - very different from we can all watch weekly
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - emotional and might brake your heart
Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e - nicely animated and have not typical story
Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori - just watch and chill
Gokukoku no Brynhildr - interesting plot
All Out!! - not well known but very good anime about rugby
Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu - one of my favs from last seasons
Hanebado! - never thought badminton games can be that interesting, insane and well animated ;)

also series like MIX: Meisei Story and Kono oto Tomare!
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Sep 10, 2019 9:43 AM
Feb 2008
Pelagus said:
Stormy_77 said:
All of Aria is underrated - The Origination, The Natural etc. The most perfect slice of life I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

should i start with Aria The Origination?

Aria the Animation is the beginning.
Sep 10, 2019 1:15 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
anaazkim said:
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Shingeki no Kyojin
Boku no hero Academia
Code Geass
Steins gate
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
dude, all of those are anything but hidden
Sep 10, 2019 1:29 PM

Apr 2015
Some of the lists in the thread are a bit disappointed since they are anything but hidden gem. Here is my list:

-Minky Momo in Yume ni Kakeru Hashi
-Zettai Shounen
-Glass no Kamen
-Watashi no Ashinaga Ojisan
-Zegapain
Sep 10, 2019 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
Luchse75 said:
Saraiya Goyou (House of five leaves). Its a heavy drama about a gang that kidnaps rich people for ransom. The artwork is rather unique and takes some time getting used to. Don't expect action or anything like that from it.

I second Saraiya Goyou, It's very character driven.
One Outs (sports)
Hoozuki no Reitetsu (comedy)
Sakamichi no Apollon (slice of life)

Sep 10, 2019 5:29 PM

Oct 2010
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=275530

best anime there is , also happens to be a hidden gem

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2476/School_Days

obviously,

https://myanimelist.net/anime/11837/Zetman

that one was pretty good for an anime, reasonable through and through and entertaining idk, most animes fall short but this one had what to offer

https://myanimelist.net/anime/31931/Full_Metal_Panic_Invisible_Victory

not so hidden (and not this season) but this anime is good in general, its reasonable and "realistic " (by that i mean chars dont scream to gain superhuman powers or teleport through time and space and are unbeatable with super plot armor, i mean there's obviously some but its well presented)
lots of music -
Sep 10, 2019 8:22 PM
Mar 2019
Mononoke is a straight up classic in my eyes. If you like multi colored Horror from Edo era Japan, i highly reccommend this

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2246/Mononoke?q=mononoke
Sep 10, 2019 9:28 PM

Nov 2013
Ojamajo Doremi
Maison Ikkoku
Akage no Anne
Aria
Ie Naki Ko
Takarajima
Urusei Yatsura
Tamayura
Cross Game
Omoide Poroporo
Tenshi no Tamago
Eve no Jikan
Ginga Tetsudou 999
Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
Mai-HiME
Major
Soukou Kihei Votoms
City Hunter
Hyouge Mono
Kimagure Orange Road
Mirai Shounen Conan
Musekinin Kanchou Tylor
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199
Sep 10, 2019 9:38 PM

Jun 2016
Bee Train's "Girls With Guns" trilogy:
Noir
Madlax
El Cazador de la Bruja
Sep 11, 2019 12:40 AM
Jul 2018
Saiki Kusuo no psi nan

Believe me, it's hilarious. The protagonist is voiced by the Levi Ackerman's VA so the sarcasm just seethes through the screen.

Each episode consists of five minute or so shorts (about five of them?) so you can watch it whenever you have some time to spare.
Sep 11, 2019 11:44 AM

Mar 2017
Some favorites of mine:

- Patapata Hikousen no Bouken/The Secret of Cerulean Sand

- Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne/Phantom Thief Jeanne (if you're okay with magical girls and below-average animation)

- Wolf's Rain

- Tegamibachi/Letter Bee
Sep 11, 2019 11:50 AM

Mar 2019
iShipMyFriends said:
Some favorites of mine:

- Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne/Phantom Thief Jeanne (if you're okay with magical girls and below-average animation)

- Wolf's Rain

- Tegamibachi/Letter Bee

Wolf's Rain looks cool. I'll add it to my watchlist :)
Sep 11, 2019 12:07 PM

Jul 2016
strange dawn is a unique and interesting show with next to no views
Sep 11, 2019 12:30 PM

Mar 2017
Pelagus said:
iShipMyFriends said:
Some favorites of mine:

- Wolf's Rain

- Tegamibachi/Letter Bee

Wolf's Rain looks cool. I'll add it to my watchlist :)

Yesss it's so good
Sep 11, 2019 2:09 PM
Jan 2017
Afro Samurai - short 5 episodes series, but really enjoyable.
Sep 11, 2019 2:11 PM

Mar 2019
KarimEdward said:
Afro Samurai - short 5 episodes series, but really enjoyable.

watched it, can confirm is gud
Sep 11, 2019 2:51 PM

Dec 2018
ruby, emerald, diamond, maybe even topaz
Sep 11, 2019 4:40 PM
Jul 2019
Black Jack OVA : https://myanimelist.net/anime/1520/Black_Jack?q=BLACK%20JACK

If this is not a hidden gem then i don't know what is!

It's scored by under 7k people, despite it's immense quality and really unique history.
GatesOfOblivionSep 11, 2019 4:45 PM
Sep 11, 2019 6:20 PM

Mar 2007
Pelagus said:
Stormy_77 said:
All of Aria is underrated - The Origination, The Natural etc. The most perfect slice of life I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

The Order of watching is as follows:-

1 Aria the Animation (season 1)
2 Aria the Natural (season 2)
3 Aria the OVA: Arietta
4 Aria the Origination (season 3)
5 Aria the Avvenire
Sep 11, 2019 6:49 PM

Mar 2019
Stormy_77 said:
Pelagus said:

The Order of watching is as follows:-

1 Aria the Animation (season 1)
2 Aria the Natural (season 2)
3 Aria the OVA: Arietta
4 Aria the Origination (season 3)
5 Aria the Avvenire

aha ok :)

quick question: what's an ova? i've forgotten lul :/
Sep 11, 2019 7:38 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Pelagus said:
Original Video Animation. Basically anime that they released straight to DVD instead of airing it on TV
Sep 12, 2019 4:06 AM
Jan 2017
GatesOfOblivion said:
Black Jack OVA : https://myanimelist.net/anime/1520/Black_Jack?q=BLACK%20JACK

If this is not a hidden gem then i don't know what is!

It's scored by under 7k people, despite it's immense quality and really unique history.

Young Black Jack is also really good.
Sep 12, 2019 8:25 AM

May 2012
Fario-P said:
Pelagus said:
Original Video Animation. Basically anime that they released straight to DVD instead of airing it on TV

OVAs were the primary method of anime distribution before late-night television carriage became a thing. Now they are often bundled with copies of the adapted manga or as an extra in a series Blu-ray release.
Sep 12, 2019 12:52 PM

Mar 2019

Thanks for the explanation :)
Sep 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Feb 2017
Soukyuu no Fafner series
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
Area 88
Sep 12, 2019 1:38 PM

Sep 2015
Gosick - its not really a hidden gem, a lot of people do know it and recommend it but its not something that pops up a lot.

I got recommended this a long time ago, I just watched it a few weeks ago and I regret not watching it the first time.
Henlo
Sep 12, 2019 7:23 PM

Apr 2019
Cyber City Oedo 808.
A cyberpunk Anime OVA that's pretty good. It consists of three 40-something minute episodes that each have a contained story. You might have seen clips of it's english dub which contains a line about vampires biting someone on the dick. The original Japanese dub doesn't have that but it's still well worth your time if you like cyberpunk and early 90s anime.
Sep 15, 2019 7:12 PM

Mar 2019
NothingPalace said:
Cyber City Oedo 808.
A cyberpunk Anime OVA that's pretty good. It consists of three 40-something minute episodes that each have a contained story. You might have seen clips of it's english dub which contains a line about vampires biting someone on the dick. The original Japanese dub doesn't have that but it's still well worth your time if you like cyberpunk and early 90s anime.
lol, i'll give it a watch, do you prefer the dub or sub?
Sep 15, 2019 8:17 PM

Apr 2019
Pelagus said:
NothingPalace said:
Cyber City Oedo 808.
lol, i'll give it a watch, do you prefer the dub or sub?

I think I’ve only seen that one scene from the dub so I don’t if the rest of it is as funny as that. It’s one of those western dubs like Angel Cop where they added a bunch of swearing to make it more hardcore or some shit. If you like bad dubs then check that out but the sub is how I watched it.
Sep 21, 2019 10:37 AM
Mar 2018
Mushishi
Saiki no kusuo
Sep 21, 2019 11:59 AM
Apr 2016
A anime can be a hidden gem, even if it has a good score. What matters is rather or not they're being talked about/recommended about, and imo these do not get recommended/talked about like they could.

Casshern Sins

Shoujo Kakumei Utena

Seirei no Moribito

Flip Flappers

Hakumei to Mikochi

Mitsuboshi Colors

Heartcatch Precure

Amaama to Inazuma

Houseki no Kuni

Sep 21, 2019 12:10 PM
Apr 2016
sad_sinner said:
Rio_ said:
How about moshidora?
Its really underrated
i like sports anime but dont you think its weird for a guy to watch a shojo?

Nothing wrong with it. The demographics themselves don't really matter. Hell, I'm a female and I love a good Shounen or Seinen. I also like Shoujo and Josei. I know plenty of guys who like a Shoujo or Josei as well, the demographics don't really matter themselves.

Sep 21, 2019 1:07 PM

May 2012
Considering I just finished the final episode of season one of Fruits Basket (2019), I'd have to say there's nothing weird about men watching shoujo and josei shows. Chihayafuru is josei and one of my favorites. Nodame Cantabile as well.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Worst anime ever?

Weltman - 18 minutes ago

0 by Weltman »»
18 minutes ago

» Any anime/manga with birds as the main focus?

doomteensy - May 3

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
4 hours ago

» looking for animanga/wa/ua like gantz, battle royale, god's will, jagaaaaaan and sweet home

FruitPunchBaka - 11 hours ago

10 by Toha »»
7 hours ago

» Manga Recomendations

MrShroomzyy - 9 hours ago

2 by ST63LTH »»
7 hours ago

» I need recs for a calm school life romance manga

yellowmonkey - Yesterday

2 by nishant0 »»
Today, 12:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.