Forum Settings
Forums

what is the worst anime you have seen this year so far?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 15, 2019 11:54 AM

Jun 2019
WeisserSchnee2 said:
WatchTillTandava said:
Going solely based on what was the most frustrating to watch, probably the second season of Spice and Wolf.

How to take a good first season and a great promising premise and shoot it to shit in no time. I don't believe I rated a show watched this year lower.

A pretty intersting opinion because Spice and Wolf S2 is my favorite example for a second season which is exactly as awesome as the first season

Like with many things, I can see why someone would like it even if I personally was very frustrated with it and scored it low. It's not without its redeeming features. I enjoyed the introduction to the bird deity and more scenes of navigating medieval town marketplaces and life, but I found three aspects very poor, which were the formulaic arc structure which made every side character feel like a shallow and flat plot device with invented drama that was uninteresting, repetitive dialogue that didn't advance the main characters' individual personas or relationship well from the first season, and the non-ending.

That said, I still love the idea behind the show and would welcome a third season, but would really like to see it veer away from that predictable pattern of storytelling and into some more dynamic characterization.
WatchTillTandavaAug 15, 2019 11:58 AM
Aug 15, 2019 12:42 PM

Jan 2016
Sarazanmai; it was really, really disgusting. I’ve watched all of Ikuhara’s other shows to completion, but this oneーbig nope!

I had to take a day off from watching anime because I was grossed out.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Aug 15, 2019 12:44 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I will have to go with Joshikausei. Fucking awful design idea. Whoever thought having a mute show in 2019 was somehow a good concept? I guess it's "original" but other than that there is absolutely no point to it. The characters become pointless and incredibly shallow, it's near impossible to write any sort of story and even mere gags barely work. It's basically just putting a massive handicap over every imaginable kind of writing one might want to try for every individual scene

It just goes to show that some ideas remain untested and ignored for a reason. There is simply no point in ever doing an anime like this. I mean seriously how would one write a TV-series without any sort of dialogue and expect it to turn out well? Sure there have been some more philosophical shortfilms that have been done like that in the past but this was a damn schoolgirl comedy show! It just doesn't work lol
Aug 15, 2019 1:31 PM

Oct 2014
I've watched some 'bad' shows this year but I still found them to be somewhat enjoyable. And then there's that thing called Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken. I hate this anime and I hate me for forcing myself to finish that thing.
Aug 15, 2019 3:29 PM
Jul 2017
danmachi season 2, i straight up didnt add it to my acc just bc it was so bad. but hey it was danmachi so what was i supposed to expect
Aug 15, 2019 3:31 PM

Aug 2013
Carol and Saturday. Seriously. I might be the worst series that I've ever watched. But that was expected, Netflix original 'progressive' series directed by Watanabe couldn't be different.
rsc-plAug 15, 2019 3:36 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 15, 2019 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
attack on titan

almost completely killed any of my interest in the series (i guess it started with the first half of season 3, which was last year, but really the second half this year made it like 10000x worse)

ill probably finish the final episodes when they come out for OCD's sake and a very slight amount of curiosity though
Aug 15, 2019 3:53 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Pretty easy for me, it's Arifureta.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 15, 2019 6:13 PM

May 2015
DatRandomDude said:
Pretty easy for me, it's Arifureta.

Lol Arifureta is getting close to so bad it's good territory. Dr Stone on the other hand is just plain dumb and boarderline irritating. But my winner would still have to be Sheild Bro...what a mess
Aug 15, 2019 6:23 PM

Jul 2013
If we are talking about the shows that aired this year.

I'm gonna go with Ari. The characters in the show are utter nobodies, the "isekai" stuff means nothing if we don't how they got summoned (and no ppl the OP doesn't count). MC is just a generic edgelord OP character because reasons. And the CGI well I think that speaks for itself.

Completed that goes to Domestic na Kanajo, I'm gonna try must best to figure out about this show. MC is pretty much wishy-washy onto who to chose..... Anything else? Meh.

Aug 15, 2019 6:24 PM

Feb 2019
Tate no yuusha ~ started good but dropped around ep. 6. No matter how much of Naofumi`s seiyuu fan I am just can`t take this anime seriously, I`m still reading the manga though since its better.
Aug 15, 2019 6:43 PM

Nov 2018
No Game No Life. It wasn't bad just...disappointing. (Yes, I sound like a passive-aggressive mom)
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Aug 15, 2019 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
Lord-of-the-Lez said:
No Game No Life. It wasn't bad just...disappointing. (Yes, I sound like a passive-aggressive mom)
is it that bad? I have seen many people praise it on YouTube and the colors look pretty so I wanted to try it. If it is harem trash then I might skip it...
Aug 15, 2019 8:27 PM

Aug 2016
Domestic na Kanojo is everything I fucking hate about romance/drama anime intensified.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 15, 2019 8:29 PM

Jul 2007
As in completed? Probably Mob Psycho S2 because it was disappointing. The animation was good but the fights were anticlimactic and the themes of the show felt particularly childish.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 15, 2019 10:57 PM

Aug 2016
Musekinin Galaxy Tylor. Hunk of shit that should have never had the greenlight to be made.
Aug 15, 2019 11:04 PM

Nov 2007
Haven't seen much this year but Domestic na Kanojo a.k.a. Gomi na Kanojo will need some beating to take the bottom of the list from it. Also, the manga gets worse.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 15, 2019 11:05 PM

Dec 2014
God Eater, I was really hyped to watch it and it ended up being really disappointing due to the fact it didn't have any real story or explanation for anything, things would just happen without context randomly. Pretty awesome character design and interesting art style/animation though.
Aug 15, 2019 11:15 PM
Aug 2018
Tate no Yuusha
Yakusoku no Neverland (boring manga boring anime)
Aug 15, 2019 11:19 PM

Nov 2010
Gunjou no Magmel, it was ugly from the start but there were some interesting themes. Then it stagnated, the plot didn't go anywhere and there was just episodic stuff that wasn't interesting. Then for maybe 3 last eps the story suddenly picked up out of nowhere, but the anime got even worse cause the story sucked. The main villain was just boring and cliche, the emotional impact wasn't there at all, it felt unnecessary violent like just violence to add some edginess.
Aug 15, 2019 11:21 PM

Dec 2012
Seygneur said:
Fairy Gone. I hoped it would get better until it was over.

Technically, it isn't over since it's one of those split seasons deals. The rest airs this fall.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39811/Fairy_Gone_2nd_Season?q=Fairy%20Gone
KruszerAug 15, 2019 11:29 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 16, 2019 12:49 AM

Dec 2012
Smash Hit is low hanging fruit, so I'll go with Majutsushi Orphen. Visually it looks good as a 90's series but most of it was about as fun as watching paint dry. A shame considering that a truly worthwhile story was buried deep within it. Hopefully the remake can better draw that out.
ZekkenshinAug 16, 2019 1:16 AM
Aug 16, 2019 1:15 AM

May 2016
Tate no Yuusha
Yakusoku no Neverland (boring manga boring anime)
Vinland Saga (boring overrated shit)
My Hero Academia Season 4 (just as terrible as the rest)
Aug 16, 2019 1:21 AM

Apr 2016
*Carole & Tuesday
*Toaru Majutsu no Index III
*Slime Anime
*Piano no Mori 2nd Season
*Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai
*Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka
*Maou-sama, Retry!
*Tejina-senpai
*Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka?
* Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2

Aug 16, 2019 3:26 AM

Nov 2018
beminim said:
Lord-of-the-Lez said:
is it that bad? I have seen many people praise it on YouTube and the colors look pretty so I wanted to try it. If it is harem trash then I might skip it...

I wouldn't call it bad. It's just that most of the anime I've personally seen this year have been really great. No Game No Life is just more hit-and-miss. And the fanservice was really annoying to me. It's actually a pretty fun show. Very self-aware, too. I think I just had high expectations after seeing all the praise it gets, as you mentioned.
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Aug 16, 2019 3:37 AM

Jul 2019
EndlessMaria said:
As in completed? Probably Mob Psycho S2 because it was disappointing. The animation was good but the fights were anticlimactic and the themes of the show felt particularly childish.
Sad you found it's best moments just in animation as the other best thing were episodes without action i.e. 1,6,7 and 8 in MP100 2 but it's okay if these do not fit your tastes.
puneetsinghAug 16, 2019 5:39 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 16, 2019 3:59 AM

Apr 2018
-Yakusoku no Neverland
-Kimetsu no Yaiba
-Vinland saga
-Maou-sama, retry!
Aug 16, 2019 4:12 AM

Mar 2018
Isekai cheat magician. This thing might be the most bland and the most unoriginal isekai ever...
LuchseAug 16, 2019 4:16 AM

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 16, 2019 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
Got to be Index 3,it was a bigger letdown than opm 2
Aug 16, 2019 5:08 AM
May 2019
Kenja no mago, that was very hard to watch.
Aug 16, 2019 5:20 AM

Apr 2012
Fate: Illya franchise - caters to pedophiles
Manaria friends - completely pointless
Evangelion- newer version sucks ass
Milfonline - mom is dumb af I'm surprised she only has one child with her brainless smokn body.
My sweet tyrant - perfect for those with low self esteem. Girl is a doormat.
Kakegurui 1&2 - mind numbing psychological babble.
SNAFU - plot got dry and dragged on too long with no resolution.
Overlord S3 - Poorly executed I'd love to forget.
Dragonball GT - I'd rather have diarrhea.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Aug 16, 2019 5:28 AM
Sep 2009
Arifureta - it's so bad! First Eps you can't even see shit bc it's too dark xD just watch the opening it's laughable...
Aug 16, 2019 5:31 AM

Oct 2016
Twinkle Nora Rock me!

30charactersbs
Aug 16, 2019 5:45 AM

Aug 2010
Ayashi no Ceres, it had so much potential. But the series was so slow paced and it was so hard to connect with the characters I honestly already forgot what its about, only thing I remember was taking ages to finish it.

BecauseAllYourThoughtsAreWicked | Sailor Mars
Aug 16, 2019 5:57 AM
Aug 2019
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Not funny at all.
Aug 16, 2019 7:10 AM

Dec 2014
OPM2, literally just a slightly moving static picture.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Aug 16, 2019 7:59 AM

Feb 2019
OPM S2 disappoints me, but is still enjoyable compared to Shield Hero and BEM.
Aug 16, 2019 8:42 AM

Apr 2015
Rising of the shield hero and the Slime one. Both series start really strong, but fall off a cliff about a third of the way through. It took me until around 70% of the shows' runs to realise I was bored out of my mind and was fast-forwarding them.

The slime one really got me as well. Actually kind of offended by it.
Aug 16, 2019 9:49 PM
Apr 2019
Man, I didn't like Rising of The Shield Hero as much as the REST of the universe did.
It's not even THAT good. The characters in the show are trash. Could've been better.
Aug 16, 2019 10:46 PM
Jan 2019
worst anime of this year and of all time:

A T T A C K O N T I T A N

shit characters, boring story, awful animations... and overrated
dont @ me u aotards go to hell
lapontantotAug 16, 2019 10:56 PM
Aug 16, 2019 10:51 PM

Mar 2012
Nerdanimefan1992 said:
Yakusoku no Neverland
Mob Psycho 100 II
One Punch Man 2nd Season
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2
Dr. Stone
Vinland Saga
Enen no Shouboutai

Okay, I lol’d. Lemme guess, you’ve got Fairy Gone as your AOTY?
Aug 17, 2019 6:29 AM
Jan 2019
Angels of death. Its really hard to bore me to death or make me squint at the screen with the thought wtf is even going on but this show managed to do it. Plot that tries to be smart and deep with some biblical type nonsense,but leads nowhere,characters flatter and more shallow than pancakes and dialogue so jarring and random you think you're on a game show (maybe that was the point idk).

Mekaku city actors (its hard to adapt a proper anime from a series of songs,but this was just dissapointing. Some parts were pretty good,but the plot was messy and undeveloped. Good thing we're getting a reboot,cause I have high hopes).

Peach girl (almost threw my laptop out the window from how obnoxious the characters were. Combine every cheesy teen drama movie with a pinch of salt and undercooked pasta and you get this)
Aug 17, 2019 6:44 AM

Jun 2019
Urda. oh god was that an abomination. bad voice acting, bad animation. it was just so terrible. im so glad it was 6 minutes per episode. tho ngl it felt like an hour passed when watching.
Aug 17, 2019 8:49 AM

Jul 2019
I haven't watched much anime so I haven't seen any actual terrible shows, but I watched No Game No Life, which was okay, but SEVERELY overrated
Aug 17, 2019 8:58 AM

May 2018
The first episode of an anime called Bem. It was so bad I couldn't continue any further, and it has to be the most vacuous, cliched thing EVER.
Aug 17, 2019 9:52 AM
Jan 2018
Ueno-san (Gave it a 2)
My Roomate is a Cat (3)
Gunjou no Magmel (3)
One Punch Man (4)
Robihachi (4)
Aug 17, 2019 10:59 PM

Dec 2016
going by shows that aired this year - kyochuu rettou, followed somewhat closely by joshikausei. enen no shouboutai has potential though to join the bottom three.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 18, 2019 12:45 AM
Jan 2014
That has got to be Detroit Metal City. It was extremely grating, and the writing was so monotonous.
Aug 18, 2019 3:01 PM

Jul 2013
There hasn't been any anime from previous years that I have watched this 2019 that I particularly disliked, tbh. Now, if we talk about shows that have aired this year, either Shield Hero or Gunjou no Magmell.

The first was a mess, the characters were either boring or uninteresting (the three heroines being a prime example), with only the slavemaster being a bit good (and he appears at best in 3 or 4 episodes), the story was stalled in the first half, taking time in side quests, and the second hald was equally boring, with the part of the CGI chickens being especially horrible. The antagonists are either bastard nobles straight out of Akame ga Kill or are incompetent fools that would make the Team Rocket from Pokemon look like Light Yagami.
The show tried to make me hate Myne, but I found her ridiculous and hilarious instead and
It didn't helped that the series couldn't decide if Naofumi was an antihero or just a normal hero with a jerky side. The three other heroes were patethic, with their whole existence being make Naofumi look like Jesus towards everyone, and considering that Ren and Itsuki were at first portrayed as jerks with some common sense, that, by the end of the series, end being no better than Motoyasu, it's very sad.
Its only saving grace is that the last arc at least looked kinda interesting with the new characters introduced, but, sadly, it was too late to save the anime.

Respecting Magmell, though the synopsis at first sounded interesting, it quickly devolved into a boring episodic show with an unlikeable, cocky main character and poor worldbuilding. Even though they tease a bit some plot regarding the past of the main character, it doesn't goes anywhere. It seems that the producers realized that they needed some kind of plot to spice things up, so they introduced a sudden serious plotline for the last three episodes, but it ended being as bad as the previous ones.
I also hated a lot the episode where the main character and his loli extort and blackmail the shop owner. It felt so gratuitous and the show tried hard to make the shop owner come as a idiotic buffoon who deserves everything that happens to him, when he's just a man trying to live his life in peace and didn't do anything remotely wrong to deserve that, making him sympathetic and the main characters a bunch of assholes. If they wanted me to laugh, they failed hard. I think that's the reason why I consider Magmell a bit worse than Shield Hero, since that one, despite its flaws, at least tried something.

Maou-sama, Retry! is a solid contender for the title, however, but I will wait a bit till its end to properly judge (though I don't think its going to improve much). Also, even though technically, it aired in 2018, the new season of Fairy Tail has been absolute trash. It's not only that the plot is awful, but the visuals and animation are pretty bad too. They really made an adaptation worthy of the worst arc of the series.
IllyricusSep 15, 2019 8:13 AM
Aug 18, 2019 3:44 PM

Jun 2016
Domestic na Kanojo was a pretty horrible show
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

8 by mshfqtny »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

25 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

15 by mypenislist »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 hours ago

30 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 6 minutes ago

0 by RobertBobert »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.