Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 20, 2019 12:15 PM

Nov 2017
So I've watched Index up to about halfway through season 3, and I've thought the entire series was a pretty mediocre adaptation of the source material. Railgun tends to get higher ratings than Index and is seen as superior, but I can't help to think that people say this because the cast of Railgun seems to focus more on a big group of girls. So, for people that have seen both series, is Railgun actually worth watching if I didn't really enjoy Index that much and don't really care about the primarily female cast?
Jul 20, 2019 12:22 PM

Jan 2018
I've seen Index season 1 and welp I guess I've seen it all. Not interested in all female cast revolving around biri biri. So yea I agree with you.
Jul 20, 2019 12:31 PM

Jul 2013
It's a much better adaptation than Index for sure despite the abundance of fillers (they really wasted the 2nd cour of Railgun S on Silent Party arc -_- ). JC Staff has completely butchered Index through the years which is ironic because they perfected the Sisters arc in Railgun S. Index suffers from rushed adaptations that results in lack of context for a lot of jargon they throw out in every arc. It doesn't help that it's adapted from a LN which is harder to do than manga.
Dull_LullJul 20, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 20, 2019 12:36 PM

Oct 2017
I won't say that is much better, there is a lot of filler on it.

But the Sister's Arc on the second season on railgun is definitely better than Index anime on overall.

Jul 20, 2019 12:40 PM

Jan 2017
The first cour of Railgun S (Sisters arc) is the best thing we've had animated out of the Raildex verse, and that's a fact.

Overall - yeah, I'd say it's better, just because it hangs together more, and you don't get distracted by the geopolitics or really complicated magic system from Index. Don't get me wrong, I love both of those things in the LN, but they really haven't been translated well onto the screen. Instead, in Railgun you get smaller stories, a bit easier to understand, with a slightly more limited cast. A good trade, in my opinion.

Aug 2018
Half of Railgun's anime is invented. Only Level Upper and SISTERS arcs are canon. If JC Staff had planned better, season 2 would be Railgun's best manga arc (Dahaisei Festival).
At least it serves to develop characters that we do not see much (Saten and Uiharu), although they are not very relevant to the main story.

Only if we talk about the anime, Railgun is better because it received a better adaptation than Index (which is much higher in the source material).

Jul 2015
Well, Railgun had one of the best arcs in anime history, which was Sisters Arc (Misaka POV).

Index season 3 on the other hand was overall just an incomprehensible clusterfuck with things randomly happening without explanation.

Jul 20, 2019 1:02 PM

Sep 2014
I wanted to say no, that it's not, but you have to take it all into account and season 3 of index was garbage and brings it down
Jul 20, 2019 1:09 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I have all three Index seasons scored between 3 and 5. On the other hand I have the two Railgun seasons at 8 and 9 respectively. So yes, it's a pretty enormous difference

Mostly because Touma and Index are both extremely annoying characters who I seriously couldn't care less about, but on the other hand having Misaka as the MC is pretty awesome. But even story-wise I'd argue it's superior
Jul 20, 2019 1:24 PM

Jul 2013
Mirdita said:
I don't think the either adaptation is particularly great. Index shows in its oldness and it took a lot to hook me. Railguns filler makes me want to bash my head in with a hammer, but the actual content (like sisters arc) is unbelievably good.

Tdlr: Railgun is better because index ain't the main character :)

Index hasn't been a main/relevant character since the first few episodes of the 1st season by the way.
Jul 20, 2019 1:25 PM
Dec 2013
Hard to say. As far as I know, all 3 seasons of Index are canon, with no filler episodes. The 2 seasons of Railgun on the other hand:

Railgun is 24 episodes long but 13 of those episodes are filler.
Railgun S is also 24 episodes long but 10 of those episodes are filler.

It really depends on whether or not you want to include the filler episodes of Railgun to determine the overall quality of the series, or just judge it by the canon episodes alone.

I myself actually prefer Index over Railgun, and I didn't enjoy the second half of Railgun season 1.
wildhoodJul 20, 2019 3:34 PM
Jul 20, 2019 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
Nah nah
Id say Railgun season 1 on par with Index III despite it not being rushed like III since nothing important happens and even the parts that are adaptations of the Railgun manga is pretty much filler

Railgun S is as good as Index despite Sisters Arc being more impactful in Railgun. But as a fan I only feel fully satisfied now with the Arc when watching Railgun S and Index at the same time to get full experience as they heavily compliment each other.
Index could perhaps actually still be better than Railgun S since all S really has is the Sisters Arc while Index has lots of cool Arcs. But unfair to compare too much really when Railgun S is meant to flesh out one Arc from the main series and it does an amazing job with that

Index II the pinnacle of the franchise so far Id say in anime form but truth be told despite everything Ive said
It doesnt matter what you prefer and think is better. To Aru is meant to be fully appreciated since the overall products is what makes up this incredible franchise
Jul 20, 2019 4:19 PM

Jun 2017
This image speaks itself:

@ARKR Your thread dude
Jul 20, 2019 6:30 PM

Jul 2017
I've watched both Index and Railgun (and I'm watching Accelerator now). Season 1 of railgun is okay, it has it's moments in the 2nd half of the first season. However Railgun season 2 was amazing, it shows the sisters arc through Mikasas point of view and it makes the sisters arc in Index look like shit.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Jul 20, 2019 9:54 PM

Jan 2011
just in case ill say that Railgun is for the most part a cute girls doing cute things kinda anime
Jul 21, 2019 12:57 AM

Oct 2012
Railgun is kind of like Boruto: When people try to cash off the fame of an already bad anime.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 21, 2019 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
katsucats said:
Railgun is kind of like Boruto: When people try to cash off the fame of an already bad anime.

More like cash off the fame of an extremely popular character.
Jul 21, 2019 1:50 AM

Aug 2018
I say Railgun S> all Index Series
maybe Railgun Season 3 can beat S if it done right couz Daihasei Festival Arc is great as Sister's Arc and we will see Misaki a lot in the new season the rival of Misaka.Also if the arcs are all canon.

Everything in S was better, the animation, pacing, misaka pov, sisters arc and character development the only downside was the second half but its still decent doe

I did enjoyed Index especially the second season its decent and railgun season 1 focused more in character development between misaka and his gang. Its more of slice of life.

B O C C H I  S W E E P
Jul 22, 2019 12:29 AM

Jan 2018
I guess most people who are saying railgun didn't even read the index novels to know which one is actually better and why and didn't even know the real touman that's why they are mostly bad talking about him God I hate this world well, I can mostly guess where they are coming from if the girl is cute than all is well I wonder If Kamachi one day decided to make Othinus spin-off too aah, that would be the greatest thing for me.
Jul 22, 2019 1:44 AM

Oct 2008
The problem here is that you look at both of them as separate series, when in fact together they are a franchise. You should watch this:
https://youtu.be/VHDZbbanqTo

Also as far as I'm concerned, I preferred Index to Railgun. Unfortunately I will have to rewatch all of the "Toaru franchise since the 3rd seasons of both came out, along with Accelerator. It will be quite the chore,but in order to enjoy them properly, it has to be done.
Jul 22, 2019 6:44 AM

Apr 2017
Idk my tierlist is something like this:

Index 2 > Raligun 2 > Index 1 > Railgun 1 > Index 3

Overall I prefer Index.
Jul 22, 2019 7:02 AM

Jan 2011
Index is a dumpster fire. It only exists to taint the name of its spin-offs.
supreme master of the godtaste
Jul 22, 2019 7:03 AM

May 2014
I think so yeah, especially with how bad Index 3 was, drags it down a lot.
Jul 22, 2019 7:03 AM
Jul 2013
Railgun suffers from a lack of actual content, Index suffers from Touma being boring, too many arcs at once and a bad adaptation.
Overall Railgun S is the best adaptation from the franchise, and was really well done, if we ignore the filler arc. The rest of the franchise is completely garbage in comparison because J.C. Staff doesn't care about adapting it well, and would instead just rush the source material to make more people buy the original product... so meh...
Jul 22, 2019 7:20 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Index is better than Railgun lol

Railgun doesn't have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EdHqYKfhNc

i nearly added Index II (the best one) to my favorites cause of this

EcchiGodMamsterJul 22, 2019 7:25 AM
Jul 22, 2019 9:34 PM

Aug 2017
No, both are at the same lvl. The only thing that I didn't like was the second filler arc from Railgun S while Index has severe pacing issues in S1 and in one arc from S3. But both of them are very good. So far, my scores are: Railgun 7/10, Railgun S 8/10. Index I 6/10, Index II 7/10, Index III 8/10.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 22, 2019 9:51 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Railgun series is much better than the Original Index series in my opinion, much thanks to Misaka Mikoto.

Unlike Index anime adaption were nothing makes sense, Railgun takes its sweet time to develop the Setting and the Characters. Satena-san is a really fun company to keep up with. Like many others have already pointed out, the Sisters Arc in the first half of Railgun S is easily indeed the best arc of the Raildex series as a whole.

Can’t wait for Railgun S3, I highly suggest you to pick up now as it’ll most likely be airing in the upcoming Fall Season right after ToAru Accelerator.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 22, 2019 9:57 PM

May 2018
If you want to compare them, at least use their source material.

Index anime is rushed and has cut content
Railgun anime is super slow and has a lot of filler
Jul 22, 2019 10:08 PM

Feb 2010
if your going to compare adaptations then yyes but only to an extent. a lot of railgun is filler/slice of life with few canon material from the manga. even then the best arc railgun had (the sister arc.) was an arc that was taken from the index novels.

if your going to compare source materials then railgun is a joke compared to Index's main series

_MushiRock11_ said:
Railgun series is much better than the Original Index series

if you mean "original series." by the novels then no

honestly i wish more western fans on this site didn't have an aversion to reading to rival a snail having salt poured on it.
GrimAtramentJul 22, 2019 10:22 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 22, 2019 10:21 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
hazarddex said:
if you mean "original series." by the novels then no

Sorry, I meant Original as in the Index Anime Series.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 23, 2019 8:17 AM

May 2009
Aug 9, 2019 5:53 AM
Jul 2014
I am watching Railgun right now (I watched Index in May before my exam session in like 4 days, it as a blast for me as I don't usually watch more than 3 episodes in a single day but soon I jumped to reading the novels because of several reasons) and while at episode 12/13 I am pretty interested in the story itself apart from Mikoto I only like Uiharu (more or less).

The rest of "cute girls doing cute things and police work" makes me cringe to no fucking end.
But I would be able to understand that I am not in the target and just remain silent and appreciate what I like (mostly, cool powers and how they interact, interesting magic system and the setting) but I really can't fucking stand Kuroko.

I watched tons of anime with more or less sexual assault and while I am definitely not a big fan of random groping and whatever, I kinda laughed at some jokes here and there. But Kuroko?
Jesus fucking Christ, she is just a walking yuri groping machine.
Dec 23, 2019 6:06 AM
Jun 2019
I’m late to the party on the toaru series (and this thread), but I gotta say that Index I feels like it was made ten years earlier than it actually was, in a bad way, while Railgun feels like its actual age. It still feels incredibly dated, but no where as much as Index. This is especially apparent when you see the Sister’s arc remake in Railgun S (which is improved in just about every way). If I didn’t need to watch Index to get to Accelerator, I’d have dropped it during the first 5 or 6 episodes. Honestly, I only watched the Index version of the sisters arc because a bunch of people made out it’s crucial to understand what’s going on, but that’s a massive exaggeration.

There’s still sex pest cringe humour which feels horribly out of place, but if you can get past that it’s pretty enjoyable. The action is much better and slice of life filler is slightly better than unfunny harem cliches. It’s pretty easy to skip the filler, though.

Tl;dr I find index a slog to get through, but I enjoy watching Railgun now and then. I would never, however, recommend either to anyone who doesn’t have a high tolerance for terrible sex pest humour.
CamuiKushiDec 23, 2019 6:11 AM
Dec 23, 2019 6:15 AM

Sep 2018
I prefered Index s1 and Index s2 to both seasons of Railgun. The only part I liked about Railgun S was the clone arc which was in Index s1. Railgun is more for people who do not mind slice of life moe anime while Index is more of a standard shounen. Accelerator was also better than Railgun, but that is just my preference.
Dec 23, 2019 12:58 PM

Nov 2019
I'll make it quick

Railgun anime adaptation > Index anime adaptation

Index source material > Railgun source material
Jan 13, 2020 4:18 PM

Apr 2014
Not really. Watching it (by force) just for the knowing the plot, since people are saying to watch this series first to understand index or some shit. Index is much better.
Jun 21, 2022 9:29 PM

Dec 2015
I know I'm late to the party but just felt like sharing my opinion. As someone who accidentally ended up watching Railgun first and then Index, I was a bit disappointed in Index tbh ^^" But in my opinion both are great and you could pretty much consider them one and the same anime. The difference being that Index focuses on the Magic side of the story and protecting the City, while Railgun focuses on the Science side and every day life within the City. And honestly if you managed to sit through S3 of Index and enjoyed it, then Raigun will not disappoint.
Jul 28, 2022 1:09 PM

Nov 2019
Animewise? Yez Railgun mostly better.

Source wise? Index throws Railgun outta the park

As simple as that.

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

165 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 10, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Jan 22, 2010

131 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

throwaway513846 - Jan 15, 2010

153 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

UnknownFact - Jan 2, 2010

170 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 2:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

throwaway513846 - Dec 25, 2009

225 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.