Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 17, 2019 1:34 AM
Mar 2016
Isayama's style is interesting, he allows the audience to decide who is right or wrong, good or evil by presenting the story objectively.
Jun 17, 2019 1:37 AM

Jul 2015
Awesome Episode.

They nearly adapted those 2 dialogue heavy chapters.

The Titan transformation scene really brought out the feelings.

5/5 Episode.

Jun 17, 2019 1:39 AM

Sep 2016
Yoooooo Kruger's Titan LOOKS SICK! Too bad its not animated and just a still image for a few seconds.
Jun 17, 2019 1:50 AM
Jan 2012
RainyShadow said:
So, they could've saved Erwin too if they knew earlier that the serum is just spinal fluid from a titan?!
Or, is there something more special needed to produce it?

Well they did not have a second titan shifter for Erwin to eat and turn back to human form anyway.
Jun 17, 2019 2:21 AM

Sep 2017
Llexa said:
Mikasa is HOT with that look!
ikr? thank god im not the only one who think mikasa is hotter with that messy hair
Jun 17, 2019 2:23 AM
Jan 2018
Farabeuf said:
Phantumix said:
Can someone kindly explain to me what the fuck Happened in this episode? I only understood like 40% of it and don't wanna go into the last 2 episodes all confused like this and ruin my experience, ty

Did you watch without subs or something? If you can, I'd suggest watching it again keeping the following in mind. Eren has gotten in touch with his fathers memories and seeing how his life developed until his arrival at Paradis island.
Grisha is an Eldian, that's the race that can transform into giants when injected with the Spinal Fluid. There's conflicting stories about their background, but most can agree that their powers allowed them to dominate the continent for about 1700 or so years. Their war with the Marleyans caused the royal family that controls the Titan powers into taking most of the Eldians to Paradis island. The Eldians that were left in Marley, live as prisoners/Slaves.

After seeing his sister murdered by Marleyans, Grisha developed a massive grudge against them. As an adult he joins the Eldian restorationist movement where he meets his wife who is of the royal Fritz family. The restorationists plan is to enter Paradis island and take the power of the founding Titan from the King there. They also have a spy in the Marleyan military called the Owl. He finds out that Marley also wants to steal the Founding Titan power from the king as part of a greater struggle for natural resources,

Grisha has a son called Zeke (Eren's older half brother) who betrays his parents to Marley's security forces. Grisha is tortured and sent to Paradis were he will be turned into a mindless Titan and left to wander the island as punishment with the others. Once there, he recognizes Gross as one of the men responsible for his sisters death. But before Gross can kill him, The Owl who has been a Marleyan military guy all this time, makes his move and kills all the Marleyans by transforming into a Titan that looks suspiciously like Eren's.

I hope this helps. Like I tell everyone, while the anime adaptation is REALLY good and faithful to the story, I'll always recommend checking out the manga for greater detail and a more fleshed out story.

On my own personal note, while I've been waiting years to see this animated, I'm a bit disappointed to see that they cut so many corners with many still images. Come on guys!!

Thank you!! This definitely helps, I watched the episode with subs but there was just too much info for me to take in I guess
Jun 17, 2019 2:26 AM
Jan 2019
your titan wife eat your wife it's so brutal that your son betrayed you when your expectation is to high
Jun 17, 2019 2:35 AM

Aug 2012
deg said:
DAIO said:
This reminds me so much of modern day America with it's liberal White guilt.
"Oh yes, our ancestors were evil so now we should accept being treated like shit by the ones our ancestors oppressed to atone for their sins"

lol ITS OKAY TO BE WHITE REEEEEEE

i do not think you are that oppressed when majority of the world is ruled by western countries or white elite people anyway and there is a reason a lot of poor people from poor countries want to go to western rich countries for economic relief alone

thats white guilt. "white elite people"
Jun 17, 2019 2:37 AM

Apr 2013
The episode was great. It was fun seeing titans from back in season 1. FInding out they weren't just there for the action scenes. They were people with actual backstories. I love it.

Also this thread sucks. People can't even speculate here anymore. I didn't know this was a manga discussion thread.
Jun 17, 2019 2:37 AM

Sep 2017
great episode as always, and yes mikasa is MUCH PRETTIER WITH THAT MESSY HAIR DAMN!

and i wonder who was voicing Dina, Kruger, young Grisha and Faye..
Jun 17, 2019 2:46 AM

Aug 2013
A lot of info dump in this episode.

The first half was kinda sad.

Jun 17, 2019 3:13 AM
Mar 2011
so, in fact evil nazi enslave proud only good doers titans (how they are managed to do this without magick papercut-swords and gas-jets-harnesses?) and force them into ghetto. Thats the solely reason the master titan got to unhabitated desert island with his titan-slaves-comrades (who are now known as the wall) and brainwash the people who are"willingly" went with him on a constant basis.

Btw, look at the nazi - they are so badass they sent only a handfull of titan-commando to fight another titans (even when they are know about Tzar-titan proclamation - "do not go to my island or i will send my buddyes to kill yall!", not to mention they are sending a hordes of "wild" titans on the land because this island is a jail in the imperia). I mean where the army? Why they send only a titans? Why not send a buch of "kirov reporting"-zeppelin bombers and flatten whole separatistic infrastructyre in one swipe (wall-dwellers are not allowed to develop any aircrafts, so they are doomed for good if there are a couple of attack planes will ride them)?

I mean the show are crusshingly loses scale of the story. In the beggining there is a "a remnants of mankind are forced to fight for survival against titans", now this is more like "a wild separatists tribe, stagnant into medieval, who are constantly drugged by their chief, are being punished by a small punitive squad because of mineral resources their land have".
Jun 17, 2019 3:16 AM
Mar 2018
So they did include the scene of Faye getting killed by those dogs. I have been wondering how they will do it. Haha...ha...ha
Jun 17, 2019 3:17 AM

Jul 2009
mitsukirox101 said:
Cenedess said:

I'm not so sure that it's not science - yes, the history books say that Ymir was some sort of goddess/demon, but it's been hundreds of years, take King Arthur for instance - was he real or just a myth? It's been so long that nobody knows for sure. Maybe it was science but is now shrouded in myth and shown as divine intervention? Just a thought.
Also, agree with you on Dina eating Carla - it's too much of a coincidence. It's only plausible if we think that titans retain some of their memories/feelings in the form of basic instincts ("I feel the smell of medicines coming from that hut, that's what Grisha always smelled of, let's go there") and follow them.

I too have to agree about Dina eating Carla being too much of a coincidence. The only thing I can think of that could possibly make sense is that Dina somehow could tell that's where Grisha ended up at (matches up with your smell theory) and she ate Carla hoping that Grisha & his new children would see her and make the connection (thus fulfilling her promise of finding Grisha even after transforming). Then Grisha's kids aka Eren would have access to (knowledge of?) her because she's of royal blood. But this is reallyyyyy unlikely... if the regular titans have no cognitive abilities there's no way she could even predict that Grisha had another kid to try and continue out his restorationist plan. Also it just occurred to me after typing all this out that it doesn't even matter if Dina was trying to find Grisha because he saw her take on titan form so if anything he could have recognized and found her... LOL this all feels like a waste of time on my part but I'll post my response anyway haha

While Dina stumbling into Grisha's house and eating Carla might have been just poetic license to enhance the tragedy of the situation
, some pure titans do have memories and even semblance of personalities, as Hange pointed out while experimenting with Sonny and Bean. The pure titan that ate Ilse confused her with Ymir because of her appearance, she was one of her worshipers. Not only was she able to speak, but she also built some sort of worship altar for her to continue worshiping her. Also, Connie's mom literally recognized him and said "welcome home" to him. Ymir once described her experience as a pure titan like being stuck in a "endless nightmare". So while Dina wasn't conscious of her actions, it is entirely plausible that she was still "searching" for Grisha in some twisted sense.
Jun 17, 2019 3:23 AM

Jul 2012
phoenixdevice said:
so, in fact evil nazi enslave proud only good doers titans (how they are managed to do this without magick papercut-swords and gas-jets-harnesses?) and force them into ghetto. Thats the solely reason the master titan got to unhabitated desert island with his titan-slaves-comrades (who are now known as the wall) and brainwash the people who are"willingly" went with him on a constant basis.

Btw, look at the nazi - they are so badass they sent only a handfull of titan-commando to fight another titans (even when they are know about Tzar-titan proclamation - "do not go to my island or i will send my buddyes to kill yall!", not to mention they are sending a hordes of "wild" titans on the land because this island is a jail in the imperia). I mean where the army? Why they send only a titans? Why not send a buch of "kirov reporting"-zeppelin bombers and flatten whole separatistic infrastructyre in one swipe (wall-dwellers are not allowed to develop any aircrafts, so they are doomed for good if there are a couple of attack planes will ride them)?

I mean the show are crusshingly loses scale of the story. In the beggining there is a "a remnants of mankind are forced to fight for survival against titans", now this is more like "a wild separatists tribe, stagnant into medieval, who are constantly drugged by their chief, are being punished by a small punitive squad because of mineral resources their land have".

You are misunderstanding quite a lot of things in here, but I won't spoil, since a big part of the rest of this reveal will be covered by Owl in the next episode.
Jun 17, 2019 3:26 AM

Mar 2019
Wait.. So Zeke is Erin's step brother?? :o and His dads former wife ended up eating his mum? Is this all correct? Wow lol
Jun 17, 2019 3:30 AM
Dec 2013
Holy shit! Eren has a half-brother?

Just to think, if Grisha just let them beat up his sister too instead of trying to protect her, she'd probably still be alive.
wildhoodJun 17, 2019 4:23 AM
Jun 17, 2019 3:40 AM

May 2012
Swizze said:
Wait.. So Zeke is Erin's step brother?? :o and His dads former wife ended up eating his mum? Is this all correct? Wow lol

Half-brother

Step brothers are not related by blood
Jun 17, 2019 3:42 AM

Mar 2019
thepath said:
Swizze said:

Half-brother

Ohh true, and people saying that those titans were the ones in battle of trost. But I'm still trying to figure out how berthold and reiner were also apart of it then if they weren't on the wall that episode? Is that a later reveal or am I just mixing something up here?
Jun 17, 2019 3:46 AM

Jun 2013
SSTHZero said:
Watching this part was better than reading it.

I'd have to agree. Sometimes when I'm reading the manga, I'm not as emotionally invested, the voice acting adds something special. I'm sure not everyone agrees and may dislike some of the voice actors but i liked them.

I always feel like after reading the manga, I wouldn't enjoy the Anime adaptation as much but this episode proved me wrong. I enjoyed it a lot.
臭い-
Jun 17, 2019 3:55 AM
Mar 2011
Danpmss said:

You are misunderstanding quite a lot of things in here, but I won't spoil, since a big part of the rest of this reveal will be covered by Owl in the next episode.

Maybe, but there is no chance the story will come back to previous significance. The "personal drama" will not be affected, but the overall scale are now reduced to a "local conflict" involves only one medium sized city.Titans are somehow threatening only until humanity discovers "real science" (internal ignition engines, planes, anti-tank weaponry and other stuff invented at XX century). After this value of a titans (even ones who have a magick powers) are dropped to a cost of a couple of siege tanks or a storm aircraft fighters.You dont need a superman like a Levi to fight against them - a squad of aregular troopers with panzerfausts will do same thing. So, in case of a armed conflict, the outer world are winer by default (for examples of extermination of magical spieces with heavy weaponry you can watch GATE).
Jun 17, 2019 3:57 AM
May 2019
papsoshea said:
I remember when I read this in the manga, the reveals were really shocking for me. Fastward till now, and this episode gives me a similar feeling (even though I know what's going to happen). Especially the part where the episode ended on. Grisha's back story is tragic. And of course, some people are going crazy about this whole "pro-nazi" thing. I don't see how this series is pro-nazi though? Anyone care to explain?

I think mostly because of the armbands and other things, but like I and a few others have said.

Parallels do not equal propoganda
Jun 17, 2019 4:02 AM

Jan 2013
This was the best SnK episode I've ever seen.

Also why the fuck is Eren in a prison
Jun 17, 2019 4:05 AM

Oct 2014
This season has been amazing, The backstory was just as cruel as anything else in this series. Really excited to find out what happens between Grisha and Kruger but also what Eren does now.
Jun 17, 2019 4:07 AM
Mar 2011
Klad said:

Also why the fuck is Eren in a prison

He was disobeing orders when tryed to force Levi to inject serum to Armin. This is a sort of war crime.
Jun 17, 2019 4:20 AM

Mar 2016
Finally, so much good information in this episode. What is also interesting is that the name for the next episode is Shingeki no Kyojin.
Jun 17, 2019 4:22 AM
Mar 2016
Masterpiece ❤️
Jun 17, 2019 4:25 AM

Dec 2016
Wooooow!!
That's amazing!!! unique!! Episode
Jun 17, 2019 4:31 AM

May 2017
The reveals were crazy. This show is making me shake my head in surprise again and again. I can't wait for the next one...
Jun 17, 2019 4:35 AM
Jan 2019
Phantumix said:
Farabeuf said:

Did you watch without subs or something? If you can, I'd suggest watching it again keeping the following in mind. Eren has gotten in touch with his fathers memories and seeing how his life developed until his arrival at Paradis island.
Grisha is an Eldian, that's the race that can transform into giants when injected with the Spinal Fluid. There's conflicting stories about their background, but most can agree that their powers allowed them to dominate the continent for about 1700 or so years. Their war with the Marleyans caused the royal family that controls the Titan powers into taking most of the Eldians to Paradis island. The Eldians that were left in Marley, live as prisoners/Slaves.

After seeing his sister murdered by Marleyans, Grisha developed a massive grudge against them. As an adult he joins the Eldian restorationist movement where he meets his wife who is of the royal Fritz family. The restorationists plan is to enter Paradis island and take the power of the founding Titan from the King there. They also have a spy in the Marleyan military called the Owl. He finds out that Marley also wants to steal the Founding Titan power from the king as part of a greater struggle for natural resources,

Grisha has a son called Zeke (Eren's older half brother) who betrays his parents to Marley's security forces. Grisha is tortured and sent to Paradis were he will be turned into a mindless Titan and left to wander the island as punishment with the others. Once there, he recognizes Gross as one of the men responsible for his sisters death. But before Gross can kill him, The Owl who has been a Marleyan military guy all this time, makes his move and kills all the Marleyans by transforming into a Titan that looks suspiciously like Eren's.

I hope this helps. Like I tell everyone, while the anime adaptation is REALLY good and faithful to the story, I'll always recommend checking out the manga for greater detail and a more fleshed out story.

On my own personal note, while I've been waiting years to see this animated, I'm a bit disappointed to see that they cut so many corners with many still images. Come on guys!!

Thank you!! This definitely helps, I watched the episode with subs but there was just too much info for me to take in I guess

Maybe you watched fansubs and not official sub
Jun 17, 2019 4:40 AM
Jan 2019
Swizze said:
thepath said:

Half-brother

Ohh true, and people saying that those titans were the ones in battle of trost. But I'm still trying to figure out how berthold and reiner were also apart of it then if they weren't on the wall that episode? Is that a later reveal or am I just mixing something up here?

If those were the trost titans or not actually is not confirmed by ath not even in the manga as much as i know and it stays a minor detail that doesnt have any relation or effect on the story.. so cool ur head
Jun 17, 2019 4:40 AM
Feb 2018
Damn does Mikasa look HOT with this 'haircut'!!
Jun 17, 2019 4:41 AM
Jan 2019
mitsukirox101 said:
Screencap from this episode under the spoiler

[spoiler]
Nice beast titan puppy lol
AkahiroJun 17, 2019 4:44 AM
Jun 17, 2019 4:41 AM

Feb 2013
OMG, so the one who ate Eren's mother was Dina :o
And lol, Zeke, screw you!
Jun 17, 2019 4:43 AM

Sep 2018
Holy shit thats a lot to take in at once. Wow. Real nice episode. Loved the flow and direction. Plus that OST fuck yeah.

Next up is "Shingeki no kyojin" huh.
Jun 17, 2019 4:48 AM
Apr 2019
So basically....eren eats his father
...and his step-mom is of royal blood and also the one who ate his biological mom
...Damn
Jun 17, 2019 4:55 AM
Apr 2016
A lot of information this episode. Enjoyed this backstory a lot, it was entertaining. Truly, you can't force your ideals on your own child, both are human, whether it's someone with important blood or not.
Jun 17, 2019 4:59 AM

Mar 2008
Swizze said:
thepath said:

Half-brother

You're mixing it up. Just remember that the attack on the walls begun when Eren was 10 years old. The fact that the titans were the same is just a nod, seeing how titans are presumably immortals (or can live a really long life, like Ymir being a titan for 60 years) and they would still be running wild.

Jun 17, 2019 5:01 AM

Nov 2016
Awesome. Following the manga monthly killed my enthusiasm for this series a bit, but once again, the anime restored it with showcasing how fascinating the story can be. Condensed and greatly presented.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 17, 2019 5:02 AM

Jan 2012
Ah could see that one coming... never follow strangers >< At most she should have stayed on the side or something...
Mikasa's bedhair was amazing haha
Jun 17, 2019 5:04 AM

Oct 2018
Not sure if I understood, then they actually live on a small island, called Paradis, where the government used to(maybe still?) bring people to transform them into titans?
-Aincrad-Jun 17, 2019 5:12 AM
Jun 17, 2019 5:11 AM

Mar 2014
Ok this was a lot to take in. I had to pause several times in order to fully grasp what has been going on. It wasn't hard to understand but rather too much info all at once.

I liked this episode and seeing Grisha's past. I think he really handled his son in the worst way possible. I would be interested in seeing Marley's perspective to all this, but I don't know if this will happen later on or if it wasn't even included in the manga. I am also interested in seeing how this reveal will impact people's lives inside the walls.
Jun 17, 2019 5:16 AM

Jul 2014
This was... a lot to take in. In just one and a half episodes we've completely flipped our understanding of everything on its head, and I'm struggling to keep up while I work through the implications and ramifications of everything that happened in this flashback.
Jun 17, 2019 5:22 AM

Mar 2019
OverkilledRed said:
Swizze said:

You're mixing it up. Just remember that the attack on the walls begun when Eren was 10 years old. The fact that the titans were the same is just a nod, seeing how titans are presumably immortals (or can live a really long life, like Ymir being a titan for 60 years) and they would still be running wild.

But we still don't know about them pre season one right?
Jun 17, 2019 5:23 AM

Jan 2015
all i will say is that im fucking shocked....
10000/10 amazing ep as usual
Jun 17, 2019 5:26 AM

Oct 2017
Great episode. These revelations are now known to the anime onlys.
Jun 17, 2019 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
Now that the reveals have starting to sink in, the implications become evident. It's interesting to me that for the rulers inside the walls (in Paradis) being eaten by Titans is a better option than war or slavery under the Marley-ans. When King Fritz must have moved the Eldians there, he would not have known that they would face constant attacks from Titans that the Marley-ans would release into Paradis. Once they realized what kind of a confined life they were living, wouldn't it have been better to choose to fight Marley again? Even after the horrors suffered during the loss of Wall Maria? Was it just the rulers being selfish and content with their own lives of luxury, not caring about the rest? Or were the horrors from the Eldian's past so great that even this terrible, caged existence was preferable to it?

I have a lot of questions. The next episode can't come fast enough.
removed-userJun 17, 2019 6:31 AM
Jun 17, 2019 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
that OWL titan!!

holy crap! CALL THE POLICE!
Jun 17, 2019 5:37 AM

Apr 2013
What an info dump, I doubt that I was able to fully understand everything of it. So Grisha's first son is the beast titan apparently, seeing how he played with a monkey doll there and has blonde hair? And Grisha will probably eat Kruger next episode and gain the power that he's passing down to Eren afterwards. I don't even know anymore who's the good and who's the bad one, shouldn't Zeke be on the side of the Eldians inside the wall as well? If they wanna fight the Marley(?) guys after all.
Jun 17, 2019 5:39 AM

Mar 2008
Swizze said:
OverkilledRed said:

But we still don't know about them pre season one right?

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's a later reveal, don't worry. But you can pretty much infer what happened with what was revealed on this episode.

Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.