Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 24, 2019 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Being part of a study group is a good idea I guess. I see this anime still retains its comedy elements with the goofy cast. However, there's also moments of madness this episode. That Oliver guy also has my attention as one of the slightly more mysterious characters.

Shin's combat skills doesn't surprise me again this episode.
Stark700Apr 24, 2019 8:23 AM
Apr 24, 2019 8:59 AM

Nov 2018
Is Sicily going to be this season's best girl?

Also I was very surprised the way Shin defeated the demonoid, a very dark and unexpected turn of events from what seems to be a fun and cheerful anime
_cjessop19_Apr 24, 2019 9:22 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Apr 24, 2019 9:01 AM

Feb 2018
Wow I love Schtrom's voice. Also the fight was pretty good.
Typical slav weeb who is hunting down normies on discord
Apr 24, 2019 9:03 AM

Jan 2017
I think this will be my "I expected it to be horseshit but it was actually kinda decent" anime show of the season.
I liked that he killed him, opens more interesting interactions in the future IMO
Apr 24, 2019 9:16 AM
Sep 2015
Tischa said:

Toshiyuki Morikawa, does that ring a bell? He's Kira Voice Actor from Diamond is Unbrekable
Apr 24, 2019 9:17 AM
Sep 2015
I really didn't expect the fight with Kurt would be this cool. It sent shivers down my spine literally. I'm not joking. I'm appreciating Silver Link's work much more than ever
SNJosephApr 24, 2019 9:22 AM
Apr 24, 2019 9:35 AM

May 2015
Why does everyone in this anime live in the KonoSuba mansion lol

Liked this episode, made this show go from a 5 to a 7 in my opinion. Finally a generic isekai protagonist who actually feels the consequences of his actions, first time I see one saying something like "Wasn't there anything else I could do?"
KorhalChildApr 24, 2019 9:49 AM
Apr 24, 2019 9:38 AM
Mar 2019
I'm loving this show way more than Shield hero
Apr 24, 2019 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
Decent episode.

Shin actually went and killed Kurt.

Apr 24, 2019 9:51 AM

Mar 2013
When MC was thinking during the fight on how to avoid the explosion, I was really expecting him to come up with an idea to teleport Kurt away and let him explode right next to the exploded mountain from the earlier episode. Him actually cutting off Kurt's head was a surprise...
Apr 24, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2016
Damn Kurt, chill.

I honestly wasn't expecting such decent action from this series, also not that it would get so serious. Schtrom is an evil bastard, but imo the most interesting character.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 24, 2019 9:54 AM
Mar 2017
Why do i feel like this anime will take to dark turn story mixes with fun and stupid jokes that make you laugh so hard.Hmm so far pretty interesting.I thought this anime will be one of those boring isekai stories definietly gonna watch this anime till end.
Apr 24, 2019 9:57 AM

Nov 2017
Someone already mentioned that the Isekai part is purely anecdotal and that this is mainly a magic school anime with the MC and his comrades fighting against enemies known here as demons and demonoids ( like most other magic school anime where MC and company must fight against enemies ( insert enemies' name here ), examples are like Rokudenashi's magic terrorist group, Kuusen Madoushi's devil beetles, and the monsters in Seiken Tsukai World Break, just to list a few )
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Apr 24, 2019 10:13 AM

Jul 2015
This Kurt is bragging and blustering about his title like this is the only thing that he has to offer.

Apr 24, 2019 10:50 AM

Aug 2015
Really loved the way this episode was handled. Better then what I expected for an iseaki.
Apr 24, 2019 11:01 AM

Feb 2019
ok there is a person beheaded by his side and the prince starts to make jokes not fucking me that lack of context for the situation.

Well really the show was not bad, but I would like there to be an enemy at the level of the protagonist so that he can battle better really there can be thousands of powerful characters, as isekai quartet showed that Aqua is far superior to Ainz since the gods are always the top on the power scale
Apr 24, 2019 11:07 AM

Feb 2016
Hmmm, didn't take that much for this anime to go that... "Dark".

RayReynolds said:
ok there is a person beheaded by his side and the prince starts to make jokes not fucking me that lack of context for the situation.

Yeah, I kind of expected a reaction to this, but everyone was happy go lucky, guess nobody cared about Kurt at all lol
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 24, 2019 11:14 AM

Feb 2019

RayReynolds said:

Yeah, I kind of expected a reaction to this, but everyone was happy go lucky, guess nobody cared about Kurt at all lol

HAHAHA is most likely, I did not care much either
Apr 24, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't expect Shin to actually kill someone, pleased, the bar has been slightly raise
Apr 24, 2019 11:30 AM

Dec 2011
Here come the main villain of the anime.Things going to be really interesting from now on..
Apr 24, 2019 11:46 AM

Mar 2016
Shit finally gets dark, but can the show keep something like this up without downplaying it with excessive stupid comedy?

We shall see, cause this is still a cheap isekai installment to me even after this episode.
Apr 24, 2019 11:54 AM

Jul 2016
Ryuseishun said:
Shit finally gets dark, but can the show keep something like this up without downplaying it with excessive stupid comedy?

We shall see, cause this is still a cheap isekai installment to me even after this episode.

Dude, you fucking gave Tate a 9, chill.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Apr 24, 2019 11:59 AM

Mar 2016
DooMWhite said:
Ryuseishun said:

You're giving this show an 8, so you're one to talk, but I digress, cause I'm already chill, thank you xD.
Tate No Yuusha gave a better impression for me, personally. It's also not trying to rush anything in particular. This show, due to the pacing so far, I cannot say the same for. I want to like this show, too, but the enjoyment so far is not enough to make me overlook the issues I have with it so far. I'm not hating, I'm just being very honest here.
Apr 24, 2019 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
HereticHunter said:
RayReynolds said:

I liked that he is shown shedding tears as he slashes him & questions if what he did was right but do feel that mood was too short-lived. The other students shouldn't have experience seeing an animal be murdered let alone a classmate so their mood doesn't feel shocked enough or for the right reasons. Particularly Sicily's crybaby self. Also even though the prince & his guards were the ones stating their witness testimony I thought the school guards would have some suspicion on Shin murdering an innocent student, not go straight into fangirling mode! Am hopeful Shin gets to question his action some more next ep and have some sense of remorse that his grandpa, grandma or uncle can validate against.

Curious how the teacher will get out of being suspected for being the last person to see kurt prior to the incident. He's already exiled for something so the red flags have always been there!

Had been looking forwards to seeing what Alice was like and was not disappointed! Am loving her character though was truthfully not expecting her to be that short, carefree & kid-like. Can relate though, lol. Loving her voice as well.
Apr 24, 2019 12:02 PM

Mar 2016
HereticHunter said:
Hmmm, didn't take that much for this anime to go that... "Dark".

RayReynolds said:

I'd hope it's a positive step forward after the bad impression I had from it in the first two episodes.
*shrugs*
Idk, though, I don't usually read source material :P
Apr 24, 2019 12:23 PM

Dec 2014
I somehow flt bad for kurt..that guy was just used huh
Apr 24, 2019 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
This one continues to ramp up the light novel cliches it purports to be mocking to unhealthy levels with its neverending lavish praise of its ubermensch. "Let me handle this, I'm the best there ever was." "Yes, you're right. You are the best. Forgive us for daring to think we were anything but helpless maggots in your presence." It seems like sarcasm, but that's an actual goddamned exchange.

And then there's the whole 'development' (to be generous with the term) and resolution of its rapey antagonist. Turns out he was actually be juiced full of bad mojo by the real antagonist. Which they go to great lengths to have the ubermensch point out, and even figure out that Rapeo isn't wholly corrupted. And then, after a short battle where at best, he slightly chars him (immediately healed thanks to ubermensch powers), he takes the easy way out and just immediately murders the kid. Yes, I'm going with murders. Because when tossing a magic frisbee failed, the next step was beheading, despite knowing through magical protagonist powers that he could be de-demonized and had so far been no actual threat to him. What a hero.

Apr 24, 2019 1:44 PM

Jul 2016
Ryuseishun said:
DooMWhite said:

You're giving this show an 8, so you're one to talk, but I digress, cause I'm already chill, thank you xD.
Tate No Yuusha gave a better impression for me, personally. It's also not trying to rush anything in particular. This show, due to the pacing so far, I cannot say the same for. I want to like this show, too, but the enjoyment so far is not enough to make me overlook the issues I have with it so far. I'm not hating, I'm just being very honest here.

Giving this one 4 and Tate 9 is pretty off the charts if you are gonna use the argument that it's a cliche("cheap isekai installment") when this one doesn't even have a harem(which is almost a miracle those days on Isekai terms, specially on a Tensei).

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Apr 24, 2019 2:00 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Why are Isekais rated so high nowadays? This show is rated ~7.65 which is too goddamn high. Even Slime and Shitbro are rated above 8. NGL even black clover seems less cliche compared to the mentioned shows.

2/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Apr 24, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2016
Huh, he actually killed him. I like it when MCs actually kill when they have too

I vey unsure at this point if it'll be a good shit show or not but so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than I should
Apr 24, 2019 2:18 PM

Sep 2010
_cjessop18_ said:

She is too plain and her design is even worser in anime.

lakelurk said:
I'm loving this show way more than Shield hero

It's more enjoyable but it will get worse.

papsoshea said:
Oh man, really hope that serious tone is temporary

LoneUlfsark said:
When MC was thinking during the fight on how to avoid the explosion, I was really expecting him to come up with an idea to teleport Kurt away and let him explode right next to the exploded mountain from the earlier episode. Him actually cutting off Kurt's head was a surprise...

It would be better for plot because it gets too edgy, but it might be impossible because of how magic or teleport works in this world.

Toastedman said:
This one continues to ramp up the light novel cliches it purports to be mocking to unhealthy levels with its neverending lavish praise of its ubermensch. "Let me handle this, I'm the best there ever was." "Yes, you're right. You are the best. Forgive us for daring to think we were anything but helpless maggots in your presence." It seems like sarcasm, but that's an actual goddamned exchange.

And then there's the whole 'development' (to be generous with the term) and resolution of its rapey antagonist. Turns out he was actually be juiced full of bad mojo by the real antagonist. Which they go to great lengths to have the ubermensch point out, and even figure out that Rapeo isn't wholly corrupted. And then, after a short battle where at best, he slightly chars him (immediately healed thanks to ubermensch powers), he takes the easy way out and just immediately murders the kid. Yes, I'm going with murders. Because when tossing a magic frisbee failed, the next step was beheading, despite knowing through magical protagonist powers that he could be de-demonized and had so far been no actual threat to him. What a hero.

Overpowering MC is really badly done, it's true, but killing him might be logical because he was going to nuke himself with entire place and assuming he doesn't have time and means to contain it while knowing that killing him will disarm nuke.

It might look cruel, but it is a sane way of dealing with imminent danger and we already know that he has adult personality.
Apr 24, 2019 2:29 PM

Mar 2014
I kinda spoiled the coming arc because I got into the manga after 2 episodes of this, so I saw the kill coming.

But it was cool to see his Auto-Heal enchant working. Those burns looked pretty bad!
Apr 24, 2019 2:59 PM
Nov 2016
jonsnow96 said:
Tischa said:

Toshiyuki Morikawa, does that ring a bell? He's Kira Voice Actor from Diamond is Unbrekable

I remembered the voice more from the Wizard King from Black Clover and also the alien leader Boros from One Punch Man season 1.... but I've watched those recently so that's probably why they stuck out the most.
Apr 24, 2019 3:13 PM

Mar 2016
DooMWhite said:
Ryuseishun said:

Giving this one 4 and Tate 9 is pretty off the charts if you are gonna use the argument that it's a cliche("cheap isekai installment") when this one doesn't even have a harem(which is almost a miracle those days on Isekai terms, specially on a Tensei).

I never said that Shin has a harem thing going on, though. That alone is not justice enough for this show. What will matters is how the content will be handled in the next few episodes, now that we finally get something actually serious.
Apr 24, 2019 3:27 PM

Sep 2011
Didnt expect that ending. I was expecting serious consequences, not praise.
Apr 24, 2019 4:12 PM

Nov 2017
They skipped some parts from the Manga, folks.

There's supposed to be a magic training scene before Kurt attacks, where the teacher takes the MC and all his classmates to a magic shooting area, where Aug and the rest of MC's classmates shoots magic attacks at targets.

Since they skipped that scene, most anime viewers would think that MC's classmates can only do super lame magic like the other people in Ep 2.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Apr 24, 2019 4:15 PM
Aug 2018
cchigu said:
Why are Isekais rated so high nowadays? This show is rated ~7.65 which is too goddamn high. Even Slime and Shitbro are rated above 8. NGL even black clover seems less cliche compared to the mentioned shows.

2/5

Lol! Tbh if this gets as many episodes as Black Clover (which it most likely won't) it would easily drop to below a 6 since it doesn't get better after a decent start.
Apr 24, 2019 4:35 PM

Mar 2019
Ehurvaks said:
Someone already mentioned that the Isekai part is purely anecdotal and that this is mainly a magic school anime with the MC and his comrades fighting against enemies known here as demons and demonoids ( like most other magic school anime where MC and company must fight against enemies ( insert enemies' name here ), examples are like Rokudenashi's magic terrorist group, Kuusen Madoushi's devil beetles, and the monsters in Seiken Tsukai World Break, just to list a few )

before the isekai the novel adaptations about "magic school" were fashionable, but at that time nobody complained even though they seemed much more boring and just as repetitive as the isekai
Apr 24, 2019 5:25 PM

Nov 2017
Reddmart said:
Ehurvaks said:

before the isekai the novel adaptations about "magic school" were fashionable, but at that time nobody complained even though they seemed much more boring and just as repetitive as the isekai

That's true. But in Mago, the difference is that this MC won't have a harem ( he will only have one love interest which is the blue-haired Sicily ), and that the MC's male friends are part of the main group having decent screentime and proper representation ( unlike past Magic School Light Novels where male friends becomes just comic-relief characters that don't do anything major useful for the MC or relegated to minor side characters with poor screentime and minor activity )

Also, unlike those past magic school anime, Mago will at least have an interesting main antagonist, Strom.
EhurvaksApr 24, 2019 5:31 PM

Apr 24, 2019 5:35 PM
Mar 2017
Things got difficult in this episode, Shin had to fight seriously to save his friends and classmates
It gave me pity to know that Kurt was manipulated to end up like a scumbag and thank to Strohm now Kurt is a demon, so the idea that the demons are being massified is more real after seeing Strohm do it.

Maria is too funny, I love her faces, especially her smug face and her fang gives her the touch of a teaser girl.
Sicily is so adorable, I loved it when she and Shin were on their way to the academy, the way both flirt is so funny and Maria's reaction was accurate and the best.
Today we got to know the rest of Shin's classmates better, Alice is so childish and her cheerful personality will give me a good time.
Rin is my favorite, just because the V.A is the girl who made the voice of Hifumi in New Game! and her character seems to be the one that is obsessed with magic.
Yuri is the girl with spectacular body and aura of older sister, I would love to know her better.
I laughed a lot to see how Aug and the rest of the classmates imposed on Shin the creation of the study group, especially Shin's reactions to being more and more cornered to the point where the study group of supreme magic is founded.
I loved the part where Sicily is depressed to learn that Shin will not accompany her home, but Sicily's reaction when Shin agrees to go out together since they both live in the same direction was too adorable, the sumg face of Maria made me laugh a good time
Aug and Maria have a great time teasing Shin and Sicily.
Shin again overwhelms his classmates with his anecdotes and feats that for them surpass common sense.
I must admit that I was impressed by Shin's fight with Kurt demon, Shin had to think very hard about how to attack Kurt so as not to hurt him badly, besides that Kurt's demonization was quite good, those moments when his neck sounded every time he it moved abruptly.
But when Shin notices that Kurt will use an attack that could kill everyone in the academy, he decides to kill him, but despite taking that drastic decision, Shin is very concerned that he must have killed another person. Now Shin will have more attention and fame to have killed a demon in the academy and besides being the grandson of Merlin and Melinda, the most likely is that Shin will receive some recognition for his achievement that still affects him.
salbery755Apr 24, 2019 5:41 PM
Apr 24, 2019 5:39 PM

Jun 2015
Glad Kurt is dead. The psycho had it coming for him.
Apr 24, 2019 5:45 PM
Jan 2015
The action was actually pretty well animated, Silver Link is a good studio, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Wasn't, expecting Kurt to be killed though. I kinda like that twist, cause usually in these types of shows the MC would always find a way to save the person in Kurt's situation, but no they shown that Shin didn't have enough time to make up a clever way or pull something out of his that could of saved him, so he had to make the tough decision with taking Kurt's life in order to save everyone else.

It sets a tone that Shin will have to make more tough decisions in the future and gives him some internal conflict that can be used to give him development as well, overall making Shin and the story more interesting.

Only downside was the reaction his friends made after the incident, I would think they would be more shocked and saddened at the event considering a classmate(be it a nasty one who was treating everyone like garbage, but still a classmate nonetheless) was just beheaded and they've never seen anything this brutal before going by the groups earlier conversation in the cafeteria.

Thanks to this episode, my expectations have risen for this series a bit, so hopefully its turns out better than what I was expecting.
-MahesvaraApr 24, 2019 5:48 PM
My Queens

Apr 24, 2019 5:51 PM

Jan 2011
damn he actually killed kurt poor guy got used as a lab rat for his own desires won't be able to know how much of those actions before that made him a PoS was actually him.

silverlink every now and then can pull of some nice looking fights so this one had some good shots of impact frames /moments

biggest surprise to me is despite watching it all none of the other classmates were all that disturbed by his death don't think a group people that haven't even fought demons would be that used to death.
Apr 24, 2019 6:06 PM

Jun 2012
Still don't get how they just wrote off the beheading like "well it happens..."
He even killed him before becoming a demon, so I thought Shin would be more shaken and people around him would fear him a little. But instead they just went from dark to light in a flash that it didn't feel normal.
Was the manga like that? Doesn't seem a good manga if so...
SnaitaApr 24, 2019 6:10 PM
Apr 24, 2019 6:14 PM
Mar 2014
Ok so the person that's covering their eyes is a male. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 24, 2019 6:19 PM

Mar 2012
_cjessop18_ said:

Also I was very surprised the way Shin defeated the demonoid, a very dark and unexpected turn of events from what seems to be a fun and cheerful anime

Wtf how coul you put that random before Carole or Tuesday ? :o

KorhalChild said:
Why does everyone in this anime live in the KonoSuba mansion lol
Finally a generic isekai protagonist who actually feels the consequences of his actions, first time I see one saying something like "Wasn't there anything else I could do?"

Grimgar ?
Apr 24, 2019 6:49 PM

Jun 2015
Okay, three episode rule has passed. Now I can decide whether to proceed or not.

When Shin actually killed Kurt, I thought "Hmm.. This show might have a chance". But a few freakin seconds later, I got crushed to the ground again. Kurt lies there beheaded and yet everyone is like
"Hey look! Kurt is beheaded"
"Nah.. It's Kurt anyway. No one cares about him"
*The Knights arrived*
"Wha-What?! It's a demonoid?!"
"Nah.. This guy over here took care of everything. Rest ease you plebs."
"Whoa..!!! Long Live the Hero, Long Live the Hero, Long Live the Hero!!!!"

Me: "..... dude, there is beheaded person lying right behind you and everyone is throwing smiles and joking around..." -_-

Conclusion: ....... another isekai .... Simple, brief, unbelievably clear right?
Dropped with score of 5/10, to be absolutely merciful, I'll give a 6 instead.
YosepRAApr 25, 2019 1:29 AM
Apr 24, 2019 8:14 PM

Feb 2018
Good episode combat skill awesome.
Apr 24, 2019 8:31 PM

Oct 2015
Still think he shouldn't have killed Kurt, but saved him.

Some hero he's made out to be...!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 24, 2019 9:28 PM
Nov 2016
Liked the episode. Now then, Kurt's mother had Mr. Schtrom visit Kurt, and he goes demonoid shortly thereafter.... if the authorities don't go after Schtrom or at least suspect him in the next episode, that is a plothole.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

279 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 22, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

96 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 18, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

107 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

129 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

77 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 14, 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.